PDA

View Full Version : FREE! WipEout Hd Fury Dynamic Theme today for European PSN

krioto
10th September 2009, 11:53 AM
Blog - comment at the bottom: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/09/08/firmware-3-00-qa/comment-page-13/#comments

yeldar2097
10th September 2009, 12:02 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :hyper

As Heaven Is Wide
10th September 2009, 12:06 PM
This is exactly what I wanted to see :g I wonder what it'll be like.

Golgofier
10th September 2009, 12:19 PM
Woho! If it's by the same guy who did the Fury menus it'll be guaranteed awesomeness :g

MrBrinkles
10th September 2009, 12:35 PM
Damn, this could be the best Dynamic Theme we would ever see on the PS3. WipeOut has by far the best art style of all PS3 games.

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 01:25 PM
I am glad I have made a European PSN account :)
I'll check it out this afternoon. Thanks SL (Or whoever made it), I know it will be quality.

akirapill
10th September 2009, 02:53 PM
I wasnt realy interested in those dynamic themes untill I heard this.

Do like the way little sparkles move when you navigate through the XMB vertical and horizontal axis though, spent 10 min the other night mezmorized by it.

kaori
10th September 2009, 03:00 PM
Youpi :rock

afatsuoM
10th September 2009, 03:08 PM
Woohoo! This is nice. I was kinda hoping for a WipEout HD dynamic theme when Sony promised an extra surprise for the Europeans (because they didn't release any dynamic themes here on the 3.0 launch date). I would have never guessed it would be free though. I would have paid €1,99 for one. :nod

More confirmation:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/09/10/%e2%80%98heads-up%e2%80%99-playstation-store-update-10th-september-2009/

abukii
10th September 2009, 03:28 PM
Awesome!! I wonder what it will look like? The anticipation is killing me :robot

ProblemSolver
10th September 2009, 03:47 PM
What a perfect match! Giving the game a nice looking dynamic XMB theme is
awesome. And just guess they've implemented the leaderboard fix in the theme
as well. Would be awesome, too! xD

Edit: Is the theme already up?

fragje
10th September 2009, 04:18 PM
Edit: Is the theme already up?

nop, no store update yet :/

Jambo
10th September 2009, 05:33 PM
Its up now!

MrBrinkles
10th September 2009, 05:59 PM
Still no updat here, how is the theme?

ProblemSolver
10th September 2009, 06:03 PM
Looks rather simple. I was hoping for a more aggressive Fury theme (inclusive
sound) where each craft is shown like the one (Triakis) in the current theme.
Would even pay money for such a theme! C'mon SL, bring it one. Please! :)

IH8YOU
10th September 2009, 06:06 PM
Any screen shots for those of us who suck enough to be living in the US? :)

Aeroracer
10th September 2009, 06:10 PM
havn't got a clue what it is but it sounds good :dizzy..i want it too

ProblemSolver
10th September 2009, 06:15 PM
@IH8YOU: You don't have an EU account?

KGB
10th September 2009, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObUe2Qp3PNU

Not very good quality. It's pretty cool though. It should of had sound as well.

RedScar
10th September 2009, 06:18 PM
I also don't have a EU account. Lets see some pictures!

MrBrinkles
10th September 2009, 06:28 PM
I was expecting more to be honest, i was hoping for something similair like the HD/FURY menu's. But it's free and it looks okay. I like how Triakis is adapting to different situations, they should put that in the game too (like when you use shield or BR/use a turbo). But after all, i really was hoping they just would copy the HD menu and put that available as a dynamic theme :(

akirapill
10th September 2009, 06:32 PM
Have you checked to see if anything changes due to time of day?

RedScar
10th September 2009, 06:39 PM
Wow that is awesome, now they just need to make it loop through all the ships and I'd jizz in my pants.

MrBrinkles
10th September 2009, 06:40 PM
Yes, but nothing changes. After using it for like 15 minutes, i'm going back to my zebra's. This theme is to dark, i don't like the icons and what i don't like most of all, is that the theme is constantly changing so it's very annoying when you are busy in de XMB.

kaori
10th September 2009, 06:48 PM
:frown: it is ugly for me :(

mizunoori
10th September 2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, really ugly!
Maybe the next will be better :nod

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 07:04 PM
It needs more BAYSPLOSIONS if it's going to be a Triakis Transformer ship. :?
I like the concept, but it should be more than Triakis only.

I would like something that has to do with WipEout as we know it for the next one, thanks. :)
I've gone back to the blue sparkles Original background with the WipEout HD theme 03 icons.

Golgofier
10th September 2009, 07:07 PM
Well sure, it's pretty cool but when the novelty wears off (in about a day or so) I'll be back to sony default.
Could be that it cycles through ships though, like the Ship scroll theme that changes every other day. We'll see but I was also hoping for something more like a fury menu theme.

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 07:12 PM
No it's only Triakis I'm afraid. Changing the date, or re-applying the theme does nothing.

Amorbis
10th September 2009, 07:12 PM
I like the new theme, I'll probably be using it for a while. It is a shame that it's only Triakis, not the ship I would have expected. I can't really complain though with it being quite nice and best of all, free :).

NightArh
10th September 2009, 07:14 PM
I like WipeoutZone and its inhabitants! Thanks for great news!:beer Awesome

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 07:16 PM
No it's only Triakis I'm afraid. Changing the date, or re-applying the theme does nothing.

what what what,

why is this available only on the ****ing EU store:mad:

Darkdrium777
10th September 2009, 07:29 PM
You can make a EU PSN account if you'd like... It's not really hard.

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 07:30 PM
ive got one better idea, since that'll take a couple of hours on my stupid net connection. Ill PM you DD.

abukii
10th September 2009, 07:47 PM
Wow...I lOVE it!! One thing pops into mind...a new 'shield mode' ?

Perhaps on a single player game, hit L1 and the craft tucks in like an armadillo?
(excluding eliminator mode (?) of course) .

Either way, I dig it and demand more:beer

SaturnReturn
10th September 2009, 07:54 PM
Not sure if anyone's posted a video yet, but here's one if not. It should be processed and make HD option available soon-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgR-ODEq-Ac

Frances_Penfold
10th September 2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up about this, and also the Youtube link :)

This seems like a fun novelty-- not really sure about the whole "swiss army Triakis" thing though-- but probably I will stick with my pictures of my dog and I at the beach for my PS3 background :nod

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 08:42 PM
This theme, is seriously sick,

Ive been staring at it for ten minutes now (im in a bit of a trance atm, since i cant get back to sleep, bloody storm overhead).

I also didnt know that Adelaide had these kind of testing facilities in the 23rd century too. I though Adelaide would still be a shithole in 200 years time XD.

Anyway, love the theme, it kind of putting me back into the mood to get involved in the game again.

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 08:58 PM
Eww...Triakis. did they have to put the tank first? :rolleyes:

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 09:03 PM
Everybody loves Australian's thats why ;)

tileon
10th September 2009, 09:09 PM
I love you guys at SL and I know it's free and an unexpected plus but....

I HATE IT

The tools might not be the same for XMB and the game, but it looks rubbish. I have one of those TVs which are not all flat and fancy.

The egdes are aliased to the point where the ship is practically ALL edges and fuzz! I hardly ever saw an early PStwo game with that much diagonal lines fail.

What are the mechanical arms throwing up at the ship? Beans? :burger

It does no justice to the looks of the actual game.

What's with the *BLAARGH* spidey thing? creepy! It cannot be unseen!

The camera movement and the flickering make me want to puke. That's the first time anything wipeout made me really really feel sick.

What I like about it :

I've noticed the camera pans make it so the ship stays on the lower right corner so it doesn't ruin navigation. Free yay! Fan service, wonderful multilayer design that is absolutely amazing and transformations that look great (until it goes arachnoïdly wrong). A good show-off of the work done on the triakis. :guitar

sorry if that was harsh, but I really do think it's a dud. :cold

EDIT: Checked youtube HD : though it's not like in the game itself, it still looks much better in youtube HD. I reckon a proper HDTV display would be even more convincing. On my V though it looks SO bad... I've checked settings and all.

Whizzer The Hawk
10th September 2009, 09:22 PM
The only thing that looks a bit off is when the bullet mark animations display. They do look like baked beans. :lol

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 09:36 PM
the diagnol lines do look like **** on a CRT 4:3. But i like the attention to detail of the dynamic theme itself. Plus its Triakis too :)

DawnFireDragoon
10th September 2009, 09:39 PM
awesome that they're working on these dynamic theme's, good job Studio Liverpool. But i'm not a fan of this particular one.

Test centre doesn't really do it for me, when wipeout is about going really fast, blowing s%&t up and winning! it did make me think that a high def version of the Wipeout Pure intro touched up a bit would make a great theme though!!!

of course it's nice that's it's free for the people that do like this.

KIGO1987
10th September 2009, 09:42 PM
I wonder where abouts is the Triakis Test Center is in South Australia.

abukii
11th September 2009, 02:09 AM
I wonder why everyone hates this theme...??? Its AWESOME!! I can also tel the majority of the dislikes come from people that havent plaed WipEout since day 1...hell, even day 2... I think this Theme is absolutely amazing and Ive had several people on my FL tell me I should get it (which I already did) and a couple actually phone me... why all the hate??

Darkdrium777
11th September 2009, 02:32 AM
Well put in Optimus Prime instead of the Triakis and it's pretty much a theme about something else than WipEout HD... :s
The animation loop is pretty short.
The weapon effects have no alpha blending (transparency) so they have this huge black border, which looks a bit meh.
IMO the icons don't fit in with the colour palette of the animated background.
It's only Triakis.

What would be better (IMO)

Pulse/PurE intro style theme, with sponsors, animations, etc. popping up. w/e
WipEout HD/Fury menu style theme, with the background animations of these menus (so Halo racetrack for HD variant, fiery exploded view of the ships for Fury)
A theme with the Zone (PurE Four) style. If possible, it includes a music visualizer that shows off the colours of Zone, and even more by gradually changing colours over time.

I'd pay for any of my three suggestions, 3$. The free one is good for being free, but once more WipEout HD deserves better and doesn't get it. :/

Avenger2197
11th September 2009, 06:08 AM
I just got it and my thoughts? Well, as awesome as it is(good job SL), I have a couple dislikes with it. One, why have the ship do things it can't in-game? Two, what's up with some of the Icons for the XMB itself(Saturn as the Network icon anyone?)

Not to down anyone at Sl, but it seems as though it was rushed just a little for a competent theme for Sony's console. And the EU region only thing was a bit weird, if a little unthinking of all the non-EU people who love HD. Don't get me wrong here, I like the theme, and will use it as much as I can, but Wipeout deserves a lot more imo.

If you DO implement any of DD777's ideas, I will be there to get them immediately. No matter the cost.:)

stever
11th September 2009, 07:57 AM
I think it's OK, very good for something that's free, and is at least usable (unlike Afrika and its white text on white clouds!) but isn't really up to what I was expecting. It just doesn't feel very wipeouty.

p.s. the LBP and Afrika themes took a week longer to make it to the euro store so maybe this one will hit the US store after a week

ProblemSolver
11th September 2009, 10:02 AM
... The egdes are aliased to the point where the ship is practically ALL edges and fuzz! I hardly ever saw an early PStwo game with that much diagonal lines fail.
True. And it's even the case on a 1080p display. Given the low amount of
textures and stuff it should be (and it is) possible to do 1080p at 2xAA
(Anti-Aliasing) or even 4xAA on Playstation 3 like some games already show,
i.e. Virtua Tennis 3 and Calling all Cars, respectively. I think there is a
proprietary 3D engine to be used for those dynamic themes develop by Sony.
A possible reason for not supporting AA for dynamics themes might come from
keeping video-memory consumption at its bare minimum for other proprietary
graphical enhancements of the XMB developed by Sony.

... It does no justice to the looks of the actual game. ...
That's the point.

Wip3ou7
11th September 2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah the graphics in the theme are kind of sub par when compared to the game (I noticed in addition to poor alpha blending there are also no reflections or bump maps being used). Overall its a small complaint when considering the feature as a whole (having realtime 3d backgrounds).

I like the test center thing alot, but I think the environment could have been done with a little more imagination.

I REALLY like the way the ship transforms! I wish they behaved like this in a real wipeout game... The way the whole ship expands to airbrake is pretty amazing.

Perhaps future "testing-room" wipeout themes could include other teams doing what they do best?
IE
Show the GOTEKI team putting their thrusters through rigerous testing
Show the FEISAR team developing airbreaking systems
ICARUS testing aerodynamics
etc....
Also add some personality to it! There was no color, no workers or observers, cranes, vehicles, safety crews, etc on the sidelines.

Other ideas;
a perpetual race would be sick
abstract design wipeout themes

tileon
11th September 2009, 05:37 PM
I REALLY like the way the ship transforms! I wish they behaved like this in a real wipeout game...

Amen to that, I like the way it clams up to shield itself from the beans! Would definitely want that ingame (no beans!). Although the colourful shells are actually more convenient if you want to know whether someone's under a shield.

The way the whole ship expands to airbrake is pretty amazing.

REALLY? http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4vA3rYsS8R2uUM:http://www.astro.ubc.ca/~jonben/images/blog/avatars/zoidberg_evil.jpg

Whizzer The Hawk
12th September 2009, 12:04 AM
ICARUS testing aerodynamics

I'd rarther enjoy seeing how they put Icaras together because it's like a knotted ship with all the design, and the different connectors and layers on it if you know what I mean. :)

djKyoto
12th September 2009, 01:04 AM
It's free, so you can't complain much. I kinda like it.
It's cool how it sorta contracts and opens up.

qirex
12th September 2009, 05:33 AM
cool trnasformers effect but a bit disapointing.
give us the fury menu background. :P

would like to see smth like that as vis for playing music too.

KIGO1987
12th September 2009, 07:18 AM
Cowboy is right.

Its is Free.

I love it tbh. Looks sweet when ive got some music cranked up in the background, XD.

Connavar
12th September 2009, 09:03 AM
Looks great considering the memory limitations

Haywire_Guy
12th September 2009, 10:31 AM
Well what can i say? Its about as good quality as the Wipeout HD themed Sackboys (http://gaygamer.net/2009/02/project_sackway_wipeout_hd_edi.html) DLC for Little Big Planet. This type of stuff rly isnt SL's forte.

But all in all it isnt a bad theme, just couldve been so much better. (Likewise with the WOHD LBP themes).

BulletWraith
12th September 2009, 12:33 PM
just when I thought wipEout craft couldn't look any more fragile
the animation looks okay, I'd just rather have team logos flying everywhere doing their thing

love the Dr Zoidberg

zer:donutshen

SaturnReturn
12th September 2009, 08:54 PM
There's more to the theme than the background. I like the icons. Maybe some of them are a bit random, but that fact that the network icon is of the planet Saturn actually suits me quite well, for some reason.

I switched to a different HD image as the background and I think it looks good. Although I still think the actual animation is pretty cool, I just don't really like so much movement in any background. Something slow and subtle is more for me, e.g. the classic standard background.

Dark_Phantom_89
13th September 2009, 09:52 PM
The icons are great :) combined them with my Mirage Zone Battle ship background and I love it

mic-dk
14th September 2009, 04:58 AM
+1 love for the icons.

As for the rest - well, I guess we got what we paid for :)

shindubhe
14th September 2009, 07:36 AM
i think i must be seeing something most people arent. i think its fantastic! good job SL.

the bullets do look funny but its all good XD

Big Pája
14th September 2009, 01:34 PM
I have a good story for You. I was perfecting my attempts at obtaining the Beat Zico trophy, the only one that stood in the way of my Transcendence. In the course of a little over 140 laps and after going through more than 200 laps in the past days, I improved from 31:07 to 31:06 to 30:97 to 30:94. Then my perfect attempt came and I managed a time of 30:64 (I think), obtained Beat Zico and Transcendence.

Immediately after that, I plugged in the Ethernet cable to get my new Trophy stats online and then I decided to browse the PSN Store. That dynamic theme was like a birthday present in those circumstances!

I am so happy right now!

Rapier Racer
14th September 2009, 02:33 PM
Don't like it much, the background. The icons are superb tho go nice with my Fury Assegai screen cap. :)

abukii
14th September 2009, 02:53 PM
@ Big paja-- Truly one for the history books!! Congrats!!:beer:rock

Darkdrium777
14th September 2009, 03:11 PM
Did you guys ever download the WipEout HD themes 1 through 3? The icons are even better there, particularly for theme 3. Because Saturn as an internet icon, LOL.

abukii
14th September 2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, I have all 3. I just dont know if its possible to have the animated background with an old version of the theme.

ProblemSolver
14th September 2009, 06:08 PM
@DD777: I use 'theme 3' since release. :)

I've got an idea about a WipEout HD Fury theme. My assumption is that almost
everyone willing do buy a full-blown Fury theme also plays the game itself, right?
Based on this assumption a given Fury theme may analyze the save-game and
extract the stats to display them in a very sound way. This would also add a
personal touch to the whole thing.

mdhay
14th September 2009, 06:14 PM
Like displaying ships with the silver plating if someone has completed all the cells in the campaign?

mic-dk
14th September 2009, 07:04 PM
Did you guys ever download the WipEout HD themes 1 through 3? The icons are even better there, particularly for theme 3. Because Saturn as an internet icon, LOL.

I never knew such a thing existed :paperbag

Downloadable from the PS Store? I want a Saturn icon!

Darkdrium777
14th September 2009, 07:16 PM
Go to the WipEout HD section on the PS Store (Browse the PSN games by title, and open WipEout HD. You should see all the themes in there, + demo and full game + DLC)

Connavar
15th September 2009, 06:58 AM
As good as this dynamic theme was, I went back to another, superior, Wipeout
theme, the one in black/red/white, that splits the screen horizontally.

Rapier Racer
16th September 2009, 07:54 PM
I used the icons from the black/red/white one for a long time until the new one came out, may set them back actually.

Sch@dows
18th September 2009, 01:27 PM
re-post since it was in a bad thread.

I love the idea of seeing a ship in testing lab, performing heavy breaking, enduring gunshots, and shooting but ... why is it so ugly !!! Why all this aliasing !!!
From what ProblemSolver said, it's the same on a HDTV (I'm displaying it on a CRT / SD TV).

The Trakis (fury) ship used in the them looks like a transformers when switching to full brake mode (every panel open), to full shield/boost mode (panels and arms closed).
If only it was the same during races, it would be cool !

T_T

NUD3
20th September 2009, 12:11 PM
I would love to see a WipEout HD dynamic theme off this awesome Fury main screen background...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1759/2qdbonl.jpg

:rock

stin
20th September 2009, 12:13 PM
Change into link please, to keep mods happy ;)

Nice background:nod

stevie:)

Electromancer
24th March 2010, 06:27 PM
I found this vid for MW2 but if you check it out 0:45 you will see a Triakis craft in animation for the PS3 background. Any tips on how to get it? Or is this a paid theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH94sgxJ_2c&feature=player_embedded

SaturnReturn
24th March 2010, 06:39 PM
See here:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=148957#post148957

Electromancer
24th March 2010, 07:00 PM
Cool beans, thanks for the info. I have it now.

SaturnReturn
24th March 2010, 07:18 PM
No problem.

Moderator Note

Posts 78 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=169814#post169814)-80 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=169818#post169818) moved here from their own thread to keep things tidy.

love9sick
25th March 2010, 05:36 PM
Aww it is 3 bucks now. Oh well. Will have to get it anyways. Haha

Sch@dows
25th March 2010, 07:23 PM
each time I see this animation, i regret our ships don't have it.

Woopzilla
26th March 2010, 09:52 AM
The theme is fairly nice but I feel the animations are a bit 'clunky'. They are very sudden and short... as if it's stop motion.

And as others have mentioned, the aliasing is a bit naff... perhaps it's to stop it using too much processing power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgR-ODEq-Ac

OFF TOPIC: Is that 'Aa! Megamisama' I see in your videos tab? :P

SaturnReturn
26th March 2010, 07:12 PM
Damn Woopzilla, someone was paying attention. And to think I thought I censored the XMB too.:redface: