PDA

View Full Version : Linux on PS3; anyone here familiar with it?

AG-wolf
23rd August 2009, 08:31 PM
I don't use linux, I'm not a code-savvy computer user... but all this talk of the new Slim PS3 and Sony removing even more of the machine's capabilities got me thinking- Whether I like the console or not, my PS3 is the most capable/versatile model they made. You can't argue the fact that the hardware IS very powerful, and if Linux can be run on the machine OFFICIALLY (ie without any crazy mod work like the original Xbox), then it opens up even more possibilities for the thing...

Has anyone here toyed around with Linux on the PS3? I haven't even googled for info on it yet, the thought literally just hit me while I was browsing another thread here on WOZ. I'm thinking if I can get a practical and user-friendly GUI version of linux on my PS3, I can use it for a lot of the same purpose I used my old Xbox for; a more open and accessible media center, emulation machine for old consoles, etc etc etc. Have people in the PS3 scene compiled any straightforward install packages or anything for this kind of purpose?

Darkdrium777
23rd August 2009, 08:55 PM
YellowDog Linux is probably one you will want to check out, though I haven't installed it myself. It will require reformatting your hard drive, so you'll need to back it up before. I think it can only use a 10GB partition, so you won't be able to install much stuff... I also read it could be slow and impractical because access to the GPU is restricted when running the OtherOS, so if you had a PC it would be better to use that.

Nevertheless, YellowDog Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Dog_Linux).

Frances_Penfold
23rd August 2009, 09:44 PM
I was surprised to see that Sony was pulling Linux support for the PS3 slim-- because *supposedly* the support of Linux satiated a certain hardcore part of the userbase that likes to run homebrew, have their PS3 run their coffee grinder in the morning, and lots of other ridiculous ****. The logic was that inclusion of Linux would slow down the hacking of the PS3, because fewer folks would be motivated to do it.

I suspect that Sony has carefully evaluated its options though.

Darkdrium777
23rd August 2009, 09:55 PM
They are able to run a MAME emulator through a hack in the OtherOs feature. One of the reasons they are probably pulling it, as a preventive measure.

Lance
23rd August 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm not surprised at all. Reducing hacking and avoiding giving the user any control of what they paid for has become what Sony is all about, apparently, IMO, since Akio Morita retired from the chairmanship too many years ago.

That said, I'm not sure I care that much about Linux, not as much as I might some more obscure OS; I tried it a few years ago, and it actually made deep control of the computer more of a pain. I couldn't so much as change the clock setting without logging out of the normal user level and into the oh-so-sacrosanct root level. Application installation was too much work, too. Also wasn't happy about the integration of the browser so thoroughly into the file system, although it would seem more convenient at first. I found the arrangement badly formatted and inconvenient, but then I've not tried Ubuntu. Could still be good. In other words, I'm not certain what to think about the loss except that it's regrettable that other OS's can no longer be installed.

Darkdrium777
23rd August 2009, 10:04 PM
Or maybe they're just trying to prevent piracy on the PS3, something which has worked quite well so far.

This MAME emulator could only be the beginning, and from what I understand Sony needs to stop losing money on the PS3. If hacks/piracy starts affecting the console, it's not good for them.

Lance
23rd August 2009, 10:09 PM
I think that reducing piracy was already included in "Reducing hacking". :)

Really, I'm surprised that they ever included the possibility of using another OS, and that they let it continue even this long.

Frances_Penfold
24th August 2009, 12:49 AM
My understanding was that inclusion of Linux support was partly to REDUCE piracy because "home brew" enthusiasts didn't have motivation to crack the official firmware.

Same thing for the PS3 being region-free, the only home console this generation to have it. One of the main reasons to hack a console is to get it to play other region's games. If the PS3 is region-free out-of-the-box, there is less motivation to hack it.

They are able to run a MAME emulator through a hack in the OtherOs feature. One of the reasons they are probably pulling it, as a preventive measure.

That makes sense to me-- maybe supporting Linux reduced motivation to hack the console but was also a target for dismantling official firmware and running emulators?

AG-wolf
24th August 2009, 02:10 AM
If you're running Linux, I should think no extra effort is required to use emulators other than downloading them and running them... This is the reason I was curious about Linux on the machine- I don't care about any of its "power-user" aspects, I don't care about using the command line to do everything, I've never even used Linux before nor had the desire... But if I can turn my PS3 into more than a Wipeout HD player, I'd be interested. My classic Xbox functions as an NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, GameBoy Advance, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Turbo Grafx 16, MAME machine, etc etc etc... All of the emulators are ports from their windows versions into a linux core, and while they're specifically scripted for the Xbox and set up for navigation with just the controller, they all run flawlessly which means any regular Linux versions of the standard emulators out there should be fine. I'd like to have that kind of capability with my PS3, along with a full-fledged and customizable media center, and since it can run applications like Firefox and stuff like that, it's even more useful.

If what D777 said is true about restricted GPU access, then it's a pointless endeavor, because utilizing it as a media center for viewing high-def content and things like that wouldn't be possible...

BlochNWhitey
25th August 2009, 08:20 AM
Linux on the PS3 from my perspective has just seemed like a pain, I know they have Ubuntu for ps3 but all Applications you want to install need to be compiled for PowerPC architecture. It's not like linux on your desktop where the applications are made for x86 or otherwise.

I had thought of trying it on my PS3.. but I really didn't think it was worth it after knowing that Id've needed to format the HDD.

AG-wolf
25th August 2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, I must really be out of the loop; the cell processor is a PPC chip?! o_O Screw it then, definitely not worth the hassle I guess.

Lance
25th August 2009, 11:07 PM
The Cell processor is a dual-thread processor core plus 7 active single-thread co-processors. The core was derived from the design of the old IBM-Motorola risc chip used in Macs until Mac went to Intel. One of the co-processors [SPEs] is not used since they wanted to leave a margin of error to get 7 functional co-pros per Cell chip. The 360 uses 3 of the same two-thread cores on one chip as its CPU, also including on the chip a 128 part vector engine for each core, according to one source I've seen. I think another one said there were only two vector engines. The Cell doesn't use a dedicated vector engine. In the Cell as used by PS3, one of the co-pros is reserved exclusively for the console operating system, and supposedly, if that's not enough, the OS will take over a second co-pro. Dunno how true that bit is.

AG-wolf
26th August 2009, 10:03 PM
sweet jesus christ... the last PPC chip I had any intricate knowledge of was the 740, and that's only because it was my weapon of choice back in the day when I was a Mac zealot lol :P

I do find it ironic that the 360 and PS3 both use a relatively similar chip- isn't the GCN/Wii a powerpc chip too?

Lance
26th August 2009, 11:30 PM
Yes it is! :g

IBM rules once again.

Haywire_Guy
9th September 2009, 07:30 AM
I installed Fedora on the console, it looks quite sharp on my HDTV.

But if your going to do anything other than word processing (excel and powerpoint inc.) or playing the occasional audio of media file you might as well drop it immediately. First off it takes an age to boot, virtually no decent games can be played on it, and its about as slow as a Pentium 2 for anything apps it can boot. (VLC player, Firefox etc)

Use it once every blue moon to finish off an assignment if i cbf switching on the comp, but otherwise its 10gb of dead space. You wont be missing on much if you get the slim.