PDA

View Full Version : New PS3 console.

blackwiggle
28th June 2009, 01:19 AM
I got this link to somebody that has posted a description of the new PS3 that has as yet been officially to exist and about system update 3.00
I'll just copy and past some of the relevant bit's and you can check out the entire conversation at the link,make your own mind up if it's true or not.

Quote on System 3.00:
Voice chat. Across all games. With different people playing different games, old and new. That's the main party piece of 3.0. That non-vague enough for you?

Quote:
Private voice chat, you know it. Both in and out of game.

Quote on new PS3:
It's real, that's for sure. But as I said, it's not "finished", so anything I can tell you about it now may change, although I'd doubt it.
It's going to be a little disappointing as well, but it'll still play all your PS3 games and all that.

Quote:
Looks are not finished yet, but expect it to look something like that PS3 slim box art that's floating around (which is either fake or only a "test" box, as I said the design isn't finished yet).
It'll be disappointing for some very specific reasons that the vast majority of people wont ever notice. Essentially, just about every non-essential component has been removed - like the switch on the back. And OtherOS support is gone as well, so no more cheap supercomputers, which as I said most people wont care about. But clearly Sony is trying to save every single penny they can, which presumably will go towards that price cut Activision want so badly. That last bit is my own personal speculation, though.

Quote:
It'll still do 99% of the stuff the PS3s can do now. So your blu-rays will work, your media playback will work, etc.
To call it "gimped" is going way too far, it's more...refined? In fact, apart from the removal of OtherOS support and a few changes on the hardware level, it's more or less the same machine. Not really any different to Sony removing the various AV ports the old PS1s and PS2s had and didn't need.

But "new" features that some people might expect, like Backwards Compatibility with PS2 games and such, isn't going to happen with this model. I can't say if that'll happen in future or not, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You're not even going to get any more USB ports.

Bigger HDD's though ;)

Quote:
USB ports are needed for a lot more than that. Don't worry, you'll still have 2.

You can read the whole conversation in context at this link.
http://forums.n4g.com/Guess-what-PS3-Slim-is-real-m657040.aspx

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 02:41 AM
****sake, the PS3 has been on a constant downgrade path every since its release back in 2007. The first PS3 was great it had everything you wanted, PS1 AND PS2 playback, plus the card readers and 4 USB ports. It was good as it was, but no,

****ing monrgel bastard Microsoft had to drop the prices on there stupid Cuntbox 360 console, i know its Marketing 101, but since then the PS3 has been on a constant path of downgrading, getting lesser product, to simply get closer to the price of the Cuntbox 360's price tag, what do we want guys? A PS3 thats $250 with no playback of any kind, no Blu Ray, no USB ports, no card readers, and limited options, **** that seriously. I rather pay $700 for a console that does the lot. Full playback on PS1 AND PS2, more features, larger HDD that is interchangeable with other sized 2.5inch SATA products, more USB ports, and for ****sake, the PS3 need more RAM or processing power or something, it really shows signs of lag and struggle while scrolling on the XMB during online and offline play.

PS3 needs to upgrade not downgrade, ****, you'll expect in the 21st century super computers, not basic crappy machinery that is a downgrade from its predecessor models.

And also the European Union need to fine the Microsoft bastards many billions of dollars again, for the cunty presence in the computer around the world, with there inferior shitty OS, as well as the downtime that they've caused to businesses around the world.

Sony 10year product life cycle rules though. That why my loyalty goes to Sony. Not to those single minded dodgy ****ers.

Eloï
28th June 2009, 03:03 AM
I don't think we'll see any kind of ps2 compatibility as long as the ps2 sells well sadly.

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 03:28 AM
There is kinda a good side to that, as long as the PS2 is still selling in the market, in developing country's like Latin and South America, i guess it'll continue to prevent the dominance of Cuntbox, go for it Sony.

That shows true dedication to there word with Sony, there 10year product life cycle that they use. Stupid original Cuntbox had a life cycle of 3 and a half years, then the Cuntbox 360 came out, im sure that'll have a lifecycle of the same length also. This is why Microsoft shouldnt exsist, because they offer extreme shiitness value for product and money to there customers.

blackwiggle
28th June 2009, 03:53 AM
I don't know why they just don't make gaming consoles partially modular ,like a PC.
Sell it as a core unit or fully configured.

Buy the bit's that you want as you want/need/can afford them.

Upgrade as new technology becomes available.

Then bring out a new core unit that can use the same parts as the previous one if and when it's deemed necessary.

Just keep it's OS so it is uncrackable.

I suppose it's the worry of third party manufacturers jumping in,but if they are losing a bundle building the thing anyway it sort of defeats the purpose.

TheFrostE
28th June 2009, 04:20 AM
i might pick it up if they offer some sort of "trade in your old ps3 for this new one" kind of deal.

i fall into the vast majority of ppl who wont notice things :p. i dont care about the backswitch or other OS support.

BulletWraith
28th June 2009, 04:28 AM
KIGO what's up with you and the word Cuntt?, last time I checked a Cun7 was a good thing, so why associate it with a console you can't stand the sight of/negative portrayal

*mini-rant over*

other than that I prettymuch agree with you, it pisses me off how Sony just hacks off bits here and their to try and turn in some proffit, the bits it does take away like USB ports/card readers I don't agree with at all as they add so much convenience/functionality to the console for the little cost it takes to include them, how much can they possibly save from not including these parts?, all they are saving from this is what a 4 pack of RedBull? certainly nothing more
Backwards compatibility I don't care about, they can put in a good PS2 emulator in an up coming firmware when they have all the bugs ironed out

just keep selling them with 40GB HD's and let people who want to upgrade do so, loose some of the bulk and don't give it any of the PSP Go's aesthetics

BTW
we need Microsoft(or an equivalent), without competition people get lazy and progress becomes slower and imagination is used less

-zer:donutshen

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 07:38 AM
Lol, it wasnt me who actually originated the term "Cuntbox", but an old friend from school, who was a major Nintendo fan, and still is til this day. He called the original Microsoft Xbox, Cuntbox ever since it hit the Australian market, i think it was mid 2002 or something. He hated it, and so did i, we where/still are loyal to the our preffered consoles. So since then its second nature for me to call the Xbox a Cuntbox, it spells off very nicely off the tongue too. I use it more often than usual since my hatred for Microsoft has grown since Vista came out, and the amount of problems ive had since last year with it.

So Cuntbox it is;)

----

Sony is hacking away the PS3 not really to turnover a profit, but merely to survive in this extreme competitive market, the Cuntbox price drops are not really helping Sony achieving there goals for there loyal consumers. Which makes me and several other people very cranky. Almost as cranky as when Mdhay didnt turn up to the organised Team Division Link tournament that Arch spent days organising.

But another thing, im sure the PSP-GO will sell quite nicely:)

Zoth-Ommog
28th June 2009, 08:44 AM
Quote on System 3.00:
Voice chat. Across all games. With different people playing different games, old and new. That's the main party piece of 3.0. That non-vague enough for you?

Now this is what i've been waiting for since day one. When they applied text chat, i was wondering why couldn't they do the same to voice chat? I want to make a voice chat room, invite people in it, and leave it open in to background while playing games. Thats the way it should be done.

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 08:57 AM
voice chat would be awesome. Im not sure if they could censor voice chat like they do to text chat on the PSN.

mdhay
28th June 2009, 09:47 AM
They wouldn't, otherwise we'd just hear a constant beep from your end.;)

slimjim
28th June 2009, 12:47 PM
I don't think we'll see any kind of ps2 compatibility as long as the ps2 sells well sadly.

but why cant a ps3 play it my pc could if i found an emulator

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 12:50 PM
Was that neg rep a mistake Mu5?

k, im going to say it again, **** Microsoft, and ****'em big time:D

Amorbis
28th June 2009, 01:12 PM
According to this article on Joystiq (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/06/26/rumor-ps3-firmware-3-0-a-completely-new-system/), the new update and all that is just another rumour. It's a shame really when a lot of these rumours and hoaxes have features that Sony should be implementing. It'll be interesting to see what the real 3.00 update does, based on the past few updates it won't be any more than 'improving playback of PS3 format software'. But we can always hope, eh? ;)

Sausehuhn
28th June 2009, 01:16 PM
but why cant a ps3 play it my pc could if i found an emulator

I have absoultely no clue what makes the PS2 so hard to emulate, but there are emulators out there (for PC) that suffer from the same problems Sony does. Just because WOF can be emulated, that doesn't mean every PS2 game is playable ;)

We'll probably have to wait a few years more to get PS2 on PCs succesfully; maybe Sony then could add the PS2-playablility. Though, Sony can still make enough money with selling the PS2 as they do now.
Even though I cannot understand how they still want that much money for that almost 10 years old hardware…

KIGO1987
28th June 2009, 01:47 PM
Ive got the original PS3 console, it seems to play new/current PS2 games fine, however alot and i do mean alot of the older like original PS2 games from the launch dont seem to work at all.

IH8YOU
28th June 2009, 01:55 PM
Voice chat? A in, a working voice chat? I'm excited about this - I would love to play W W W W W W i p p p ooooooooooooo u tt t t t t H D D D D - and not hear people talk like that.

Problem is, right now - I have just a much fun chatting as I do playing - so having a functioning chat in-game may work against me.

blackwiggle
28th June 2009, 03:29 PM
I don't know where all that other stuff mention in that Joystiq article came from.

This seems like a purposely composed article by Joystig trying to discredit leaks about the system update,more than likely at the bequest of SONY.

They are trying to make it sound like people are getting upgrades to other parts of of the PS world mixed up with actual PS3 system updates,and that's all these leaks are.
None of those things were mention by the person who has posted the leaks.

The grief reporting will be for HOME.[Fact]
The reputation system has been implemented at official Playstation forums [they call it KUDOS] [Fact]
And the HDMI protocol has changed from 1.3a to 1.4,this update only effects the audio over HDMI and effects all components that accept HDMI,not just the PS3 [Fact]

A bit of a bad hack job trying to discredit the leaks.

A raw nerve at SONY has been well and truly hit it would seem.

ProblemSolver
28th June 2009, 05:59 PM
No OtherOS? aargh!

I have running Linux on my PS3 and I use it at a daily basis to do some
native Cell programming. It seems like that Sony is going to save some
megabytes for the EEROM used for the Linux GRUB bootloader and PS3s
firmware as well. I've heard that the initial size of this chips was 128MB
but they only need 64MB for firmware and stuff. However, I guess that
Sony wants to point those who got a deeper interest into the PS3s Cell
processor to their ZEGO (http://www.fareastgizmos.com/media_devices/sony_zego_computing_unit_to_be_launched_in_us_this _year.php) system, which is essentially a PS3 with the RSX
and all the 8 SPEs working. Anyways, there are many solution today to
get your hands dirty with the Cell processor, see for example IBM,
Mercury, and Fixstars.

OBH
28th June 2009, 06:01 PM
Sony also announced their making a phone to rival the iPhone. Content will go between your phone and ps3.

No idea how thatll work.

Annoying though, is apparently theyve realised the market is geared more towards mobile phone technology as supposed to hand held consoles. What that means for the future of the PSP i dont know..... shame really.

Darkdrium777
28th June 2009, 07:45 PM
One thing is whoever that guy is, he was right about firmware 2.80.
It's a shame the OtherOS is going but apart from ultra-geeks (no offence meant) nobody used it on the PS3 console. I would've rather had it go before BC, but BC is/was more expensive...

ProblemSolver
28th June 2009, 08:35 PM
BC is a software-only thing. Sony doesn't include BC anymore coz they
wanna "force" us to buy more PS3 games. Anyways, I have a launch
PS3 with full BC. :) Until it breaks! xD

Darkdrium777
28th June 2009, 08:59 PM
BC is part hardware based or fully hardware based, depending on the model. They cut it out to remove the price of including that hardware.
They can make software to run PS2 games on the non BC PS3 (PCSX2 is the example it can be done software only on PC) but when is the question...

ProblemSolver
28th June 2009, 09:03 PM
Perhaps I should have said; Today, BC is.... Initially it wasn't. Right.

slimjim
28th June 2009, 09:46 PM
I have absoultely no clue what makes the PS2 so hard to emulate, but there are emulators out there (for PC) that suffer from the same problems Sony does. Just because WOF can be emulated, that doesn't mean every PS2 game is playable ;)

We'll probably have to wait a few years more to get PS2 on PCs succesfully; maybe Sony then could add the PS2-playablility. Though, Sony can still make enough money with selling the PS2 as they do now.
Even though I cannot understand how they still want that much money for that almost 10 years old hardware…

i mean if the pc is able to emulate a playstation (not perfectly) then a ps3 should have no trouble doing it

KIGO1987
29th June 2009, 02:54 AM
Sony also announced their making a phone to rival the iPhone. Content will go between your phone and ps3.

No idea how thatll work.

Annoying though, is apparently theyve realised the market is geared more towards mobile phone technology as supposed to hand held consoles. What that means for the future of the PSP i dont know..... shame really.

Got a link on an article there?

Thats what i though when i first heard/saw of the PSP-GO. I said to myself if that is a phone, im buying it straight away, but it isnt a phone. But you never know might be in 2010.

Velocitar64
29th June 2009, 03:31 AM
I'm getting a bit sense of "Why the hell?" and "Moneymaking schemeee" on my V64 Radar.

OBH
29th June 2009, 12:33 PM
Sorry KIGO, just read it in the paper the other morning. No mention of a model name or number either. If i find it ill let you know!

ProblemSolver
30th June 2009, 01:54 AM
i mean if the pc is able to emulate a playstation (not perfectly) then a ps3 should have no trouble doing it
It hasn't, but there are other things going on behind the curtain....

Anyways, here is the news;
Sony Patents Emotion Engine Emulation Technology For Cell Processor (http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/)

Darkdrium777
30th June 2009, 02:23 AM
This article is all wrong. The PS3s without backwards compatibility are missing the Graphics Synthesizer, not the Emotion Engine. :lol The emotion engine is already being emulated. This doesn't advance anything at all, it's only one more patent and doesn't meant AT ALL that full software emulation of the PS2 is coming.

ProblemSolver
30th June 2009, 03:02 AM
@Darkdrium777: I don't think so.

The article isn't wrong, its headline simply doesn't tell the whole story.

Here is a link to Sony's filed patent;
PROCESSOR EMULATION USING FRAGMENT LEVEL TRANSALTION (http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=%22Emotion+Engine%22&s2=Cell&OS=%22Emotion+Engine%22+AND+Cell&RS=%22Emotion+Engine%22+AND+Cell)

The given patent is about on how to emulate a processor given Sony's
new technique. And looking upon the patent itself, one can see that
this technique can be used for the Graphic Synthesizer as well;

... [0044]Embodiments of the present invention may be used in emulation of any target system having a secondary processor that cannot modify its own instruction memory. Target systems include, but are not limited to general purpose computer systems and other programmable devices, such as video game console devices. By way of example FIG. 3A depicts a block diagram of an example of a target system 100 in the form of a game console device, a Sony Playstation.RTM.2. PlayStation is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. of Tokyo, Japan. In this example, the target system 100 is built around a main processor module 102 referred to as an emotion engine, a Graphic Synthesizer 104, an input/output (I/O) processor (IOP) 106 and a sound processor unit 108. The emotion engine 102 typically includes a CPU core, co-processors and a system clock and has an associated random access memory (RAM) 110. ...

Pretty obvious.

AG-wolf
3rd July 2009, 04:19 AM
stupid Cuntbox 360 console

Sooo... just because something is successful and secures a sturdy/viable position in a competitive market, it deserves that kind of reaction? I find it kind of annoying that playstation die-hard fans are so vicious toward the 360, yet 360 owners just care about enjoying their gaming experience :P Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PSX and PS2 to death, but the PS3 was (and still is) just a disappointment compared to its own precursors and the current competition from 360 and Wii. Also, it seems everyone hates on the 360 but never says anything other than something about Microsoft or something about the 3 red lights... PS3 criticism comes from every angle; aesthetics, lack of substantial titles, unintuitive and glitchy interface, continually downscaled capability, hideously implemented online marketplace, price, etc. I'd like to see the PS3 pick up so there's better competition between the two- it always results in both sides of the field benefiting ... but it still hasn't. Until then, humble 360 owners have to take all you guy's aggression lol

also, ironically, the 360 has taken the PS2's role in this generation of games. Widest selection of quality games in every genre as well as unique and innovative games, strong support from third-party developers, a fair price that people are more than willing to spend for what they get in return. Sony held that kind of position for two full console generations (PSX & PS2), before that it was the Genesis (SNES was good but the Genny had a much more varied audience and array of games. SNES gamers were niche gamers).

Darkdrium777
3rd July 2009, 06:40 AM
Woooow woow wow.

Xbox fans are just as "diehard" (read: idiots) as you think the PS3 fans are. And I'm talking about those fanboys who just keep insulting people for enjoying games on the other systems and whatever, not you, so there isn't a misunderstanding. :)
And KIGO isn't a PlayStation fan, he's just a Microsoft hater :p

Now I'll just respond to the points you make:
-Glitchy interface: NXE (Sure, easier to find stuff, but is a bitch to load stuff) And I've read many comments from people who wished it loaded faster and they were saying the blades were faster but harder to find stuff in.
-Unintuitive interface: that's why the NXE is a very camouflaged way of imitating the PS3's XMB. Just take the XMB, rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise and you pretty much have the NXE, sans ads, bigger icons and avatars running around. And rename the categories/items of course. Also, the XMB has won an Emmy (http://www.emmyonline.tv/mediacenter/tech_2k6_winners.html) for it's presentation, haven't seen an award for the NXE or the previous Blade system.
-Playstation Store: that's a personal preference, and honestly how is it horrible? You click a button and go to the store, as far as I recall from using an Xbox 360 it's pretty much the same thing. They may have changed that in the NXE, I haven't checked yet. The Playstation Store was horrible in the beginning, but it's changed since then and it's much faster and easier to find things on it. I personally don't have any problems finding stuff, and they use REAL MONEY. So you don't have fifty points lying around and have nothing to do with them until you buy another points card. And you can now buy PSN cards if you don't have a CC. DRM on the Playstation Store is also much less restrictive than on the XboxLive Marketplace (Download most of the things you purchased an infinite number of times on up to five different PS3 systems, don't think you can do that on Xbox 360...) Also, is it possible to download the Titan Pack for Unreal Tournament 3 on the Xbox 360? No? Why? Microsoft doesn't want to give it for free, they want you to pay for FREE CONTENT on the PS3 and PC :lol
-You don't like the look of the console, well LOL that isn't even a point. I don't like the look of many things, doesn't mean they are bad.
-Games: I would talk to you all day about how great the games I have are, most of which are exclusives to the PS3 and worth playing, but they don't interest you as you've already said so why bother :D I've had PS2 and PS1, PS3 is the second console for which I have the most games, the most good games, and had the best fun with. It's not the same for you, but you aren't the same as everyone ;)
-The only thing I'll agree with is the removal of BC, but then again I hardly find myself playing PS2 titles (Well, apart from Kinetica). I appreciate the commodity though, so that is the only thing I wish they'd re-instate.

Don't think the 360 is flawless either, is all I'm trying to tell you. And yes, the RRoD/E74 is bound to come up multiple times, as that was/still is such an EPIC FAIL. Microsoft is such a money grabber they tried to save money by designing the chips in the 360 themselves, well guess what? They failed, and it costs them more money than what they tried to save :lol Ohh the irony...

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 08:39 AM
-----

Mu5
3rd July 2009, 08:56 AM
@AG-Wolf : Great post mate! :clap

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 08:59 AM
be sure im going to neg rep you for that one Mu5;)

.....Maybe thats is how the karma system works on gamesfags......

Mu5
3rd July 2009, 09:16 AM
I look forward to it mate! :D

I will be giving out negative rep each time I see any of you trolling :D Please, try to apply some level of maturity to your posts. Its kind of annoying reading statements that are devoid of any kind of intelligence. You are not big, and not clever - just very annoying and immature.

slimjim
3rd July 2009, 09:22 AM
Sooo... just because something is successful and secures a sturdy/viable position in a competitive market, it deserves that kind of reaction? I find it kind of annoying that playstation die-hard fans are so vicious toward the 360, yet 360 owners just care about enjoying their gaming experience :P Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PSX and PS2 to death, but the PS3 was (and still is) just a disappointment compared to its own precursors and the current competition from 360 and Wii. Also, it seems everyone hates on the 360 but never says anything other than something about Microsoft or something about the 3 red lights... PS3 criticism comes from every angle; aesthetics, lack of substantial titles, unintuitive and glitchy interface, continually downscaled capability, hideously implemented online marketplace, price, etc. I'd like to see the PS3 pick up so there's better competition between the two- it always results in both sides of the field benefiting ... but it still hasn't. Until then, humble 360 owners have to take all you guy's aggression lol

also, ironically, the 360 has taken the PS2's role in this generation of games. Widest selection of quality games in every genre as well as unique and innovative games, strong support from third-party developers, a fair price that people are more than willing to spend for what they get in return. Sony held that kind of position for two full console generations (PSX & PS2), before that it was the Genesis (SNES was good but the Genny had a much more varied audience and array of games. SNES gamers were niche gamers).

look at how long it took for sony to get to the best out of the ps2 when it happens with the ps3 people will like it more

AG-wolf
3rd July 2009, 09:36 AM
my point exactly; hence why I said I'd like the PS3 to improve. Problem is it has a lot of ground to cover, that's all.

Mu5
3rd July 2009, 12:48 PM
b u l l s h i t, AG-Wolf speaks crap.

Thanks for that negative rep for agreeing with AG-Wolf - appreciate it :D

The outcome of this is my rep has actually went up, as I few people on here are agreeing with my comments and have added rep :D

Thanks again !! :D LOL

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 01:40 PM
As ive stated before, i back up every single post of mine by 100%,

AG-Wolf, did speak crap out the Microsoft, and im not changing my opinion on that,

You agreed with AG-Wolf crap speak, and your crap speak neg rep to me,

Im not changing my opinion, im standing by it.

djKyoto
3rd July 2009, 01:54 PM
I agree with everything DR777 said.

LOUDandPROUD
3rd July 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm on board with DD777, as well. As many here know, I own both systems and prefer my PS3. The only thing I like better about my 360 is it's awesome controller. I wayyyy prefer the styling of the PS3 too...I think it's quite sexy. I don't even understand how the 360's "design" was ok'd, seeing as how it looks exactly like a Dell PC (especially the black Elite version)...seriously though. :lol

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 02:15 PM
And KIGO isn't a PlayStation fan, he's just a Microsoft hater :p

A bit of that DD,

I prefer Sony's marketing policies and ideas than Microsoft's for several reasons.

Like Sony's ten year product cycle that they have, giving the best out for there customers.

Sony Playstation 2 has been in production since 2000, and still are making titles for it,

Microsoft Xbox (swear word in itself) released in 2002, then just after a few years it stopped, and all of its titles too, that shows real loyalty to customers doesnt it,

If Microsoft creates another monopoly, its going to mean bad news for Everyone.

I do not want to see that happen.

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd July 2009, 02:17 PM
hehe. I actually prefer the PS3 controller for all games other that Street Fighter style games. The Xbox one is for alien-handed people!:lol

LOUDandPROUD
3rd July 2009, 02:23 PM
Did you just call me an alien?! :o

:p

MrSmadSmartAlex
3rd July 2009, 02:35 PM
No, I called you an alien-handed person.:P

Nah, each to his own. I just find the Playstation controller very comfortable in general, the Xbox one not so much. The N64 one though, don't even get me started....:lol:lol

djKyoto
3rd July 2009, 02:36 PM
N64 one was horrible. No rubber on the stick meant it slid off all the time + blisters due to extended periods of play.

Now over here we have an Atari 5200 controller...

Rapier Racer
3rd July 2009, 02:46 PM
I've always preferred the PS controller. They could do the DS3 some justice tho by removing those crappy trigger buttons, who deserves the slap for those?

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 02:47 PM
Some chick got messed up fingers from a N64 controller,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FJkDIZ3xqc&feature=related

Rapier Racer
3rd July 2009, 02:52 PM
I bet the anti gaming lobby jumped all over that.

infoxicated
3rd July 2009, 03:39 PM
The PS3 controller is awful for shooters, but I quite like it for most other types of game.

The flappy analogue sticks with the big dead zones are terrible- they should really have overhauled the design for the DS3.

slimjim
3rd July 2009, 03:40 PM
Some chick got messed up fingers from a N64 controller,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FJkDIZ3xqc&feature=related

I thought it was arcade machines that did that like the old space invaders and pacman.
I have been playing consoles for most of my life and my fingers are fine

KIGO1987
3rd July 2009, 04:11 PM
In that vid it should show a chick playing on the N64, that controller must of fuked up alot of kids hands i reckon.

Darkdrium777
3rd July 2009, 09:05 PM
they should really have overhauled the design for the DS3.I agree, the D-Pad isn't the best, and the joysticks too though I am fine with their placement.
But let's not forget that Sony tried the boomerang controller and everyone clamored for the DS2 design... Without exception.

lunar
3rd July 2009, 09:37 PM
The flappy analogue sticks with the big dead zones are terrible- they should really have overhauled the design for the DS3.

I agree about those sticks especially. I can`t use them for Wipeout. I much prefer the xbox stick or even the PSP nub.

GreenPhazon
3rd July 2009, 11:12 PM
The nub makes my hand hurt, especially when you have to constantly hold forward for max speed in WipEout.

djKyoto
5th July 2009, 11:53 AM
Lol, thanks for the Neg rep Mu5, whatever it was for (don't expect any neg rep back).
Just because I don't have a 360 doesn't mean I don't want to buy one.

And yes I am cool, thanks for asking. :coffee;)

OBH
5th July 2009, 05:18 PM
damn, cant +1 rep you again for that djkyoto :) funny stuff

Lance
5th July 2009, 07:41 PM
I'd like to have a 360, and they're a better deal financially than the PS3. Although the PS3 does play Blu-Ray movies. If you can afford to buy those instead of DVDs, it might be a selling point.

KIGO1987
5th July 2009, 07:56 PM
If you want to get a million error messages and problems Lance go for the Cntbox. But spend that extra on the PS3, ive never had any problems with it at all, works so much more intelligently than the crap Microsoft Rolls out.

Lance
5th July 2009, 08:02 PM
My neighbor next door has a 360. It works great, and the online features seem to work the way such things should. I constantly read of the failures of the PS3 online experience. So I think the 360 deserves serious consideration and should not be just dismissed because of our generalised dislike of Microsoft and its rotten business practices. When they do badly, they should be punished, but when they do well, they should be rewarded.

KIGO1987
5th July 2009, 08:09 PM
but you have to paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. To use online on the 360. Unlike the PSN, where it is free.

Lance
5th July 2009, 08:10 PM
PSN has to be free because it wouldn't be worth paying for. IMO.

KIGO1987
5th July 2009, 08:16 PM
Yes paying money for a product not to work is a great sensation isnt it.

I spent $1800 on this laptop last year, to get problem, after problem, after problem, after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,

then you think the problem has been solved, but, you get a problem, after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,after problem,

Then as we me with due time, my fist penetrates the keyboard and breaks the motherboard in the process.

Thanks you Microsoft and Billgate for releasing Windows Vista.

DawnFireDragoon
5th July 2009, 08:21 PM
just thought i'd throw my opinion in here. i have an xbox 360 and it is one of the best consoles i have ever owned, i am as satisfied with it, it's service and games library as i was with psone and ps2...and one day may be with ps3...i don't have one yet, as i do believe it is lacking somewhat at the moment, with it's dodgy interface, poor trophy implementation and software available. but i want it to be good, and hope with a slimline release...also a price drop and a barrage of good games it could be. i am not a fanboy of consoles...i love good games and good systems at a fair price, or a price that matches the service you get.

i don't mind paying for xbox live, because it is a great service. i pay £5.99 a month, for free demo's of tons of games / the odd free bit of other content, and online play of full games i have purchased.

when i owned a ps1 and a ps2 i paid £5.99 a month for demo's of maybe 5 or 6 games, 1 or 2 of which i wanted to actually play.

in my case, nothing has changed really and i am fine with that.

more on topic: the slimline was inevitable...and hopefully will be a really good cheaper package...so i can actually justify buying one and downloading wipeout HD!!!!!

LOUDandPROUD
5th July 2009, 11:44 PM
i pay £5.99 a month, for free demo's of tons of games / the odd free bit of other content, and online play of full games i have purchased.

LOL :lol

DawnFireDragoon
5th July 2009, 11:50 PM
ha ha, perhaps i did phrase that wrong. :dizzy

i pay for the same stuff i used to, you know what i mean.

djKyoto
6th July 2009, 12:43 AM
My Laptop I brought with vista 3-4 years ago hasn't had any problems if that helps.

Darkdrium777
6th July 2009, 12:57 AM
Xbox Live: 50$ a year for peer to peer online. If the game host has a bad connection, sucks for you.
PSN: Free for dedicated servers on certain games like Warhawk, and peer to peer for games like WipEout HD.

Feature wise Xbox Live still is better than PSN, but you pay for peer to peer online gaming! That's one flaw all right. :/

And then what are the community features missing from PSN? Voice chat across games? What else, I'm not too familiar with it... Game invitations might not be for every game but the feature is there for developers to use (They can't do it in another way because Microsoft patented it in the US). It has e-mails, text chat, video conferencing, trophies (how is the implementation dodgy btw, afaik it works the same way on the Xbox: do something and get the achievement), now gamercards (Check the EU website to get one)... Honestly I think people don't realize how much stuff they get for free with PSN, and constantly piss and moan about it not being like Xbox Live. Well guess what, if it was like Xbox Live you'd have to pay for it, but it's free and pretty damn well done for something free.

DawnFireDragoon
6th July 2009, 01:50 AM
on xbox you press one button when you get an achievement and it shows you the details instantly. you can access anything achivement related instantly.

on PSN you have to wait to load your trophies to see them.

PSN (from my limited experience) also takes forever to download updates...and then you have to install them...and while this may not be a widespread problem, is what i have seen / experienced and shaped my opinion. the general interface of PSN could be better too...but thats personal taste.

this is however off-topic and becoming a fanboy war, which i hate...so i am done.

Darkdrium777
6th July 2009, 02:27 AM
This is a fanboy war??

... :o

You haven't seen much of these have you?
All right so let's not try and discuss pros and cons of things anymore. :| I don't get it...

BulletWraith
6th July 2009, 03:31 AM
I agree for the most part, back on topic :hyper

old news and dodge manufacturing pics from 1up (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174223)
and a lil rumor/infoJoystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/rumor-taiwanese-firms-awarded-ps3-slim-manufacturing-contracts/) if anyone missed them

To be fair the Ultra64 had analogue as standard which prompted Sony to create the Dual Analog which in turn gave us the Standard which most gamepads go by these days: 2 analog sticks, my left thumb has healed, I think it was worth it

Yes paying money for a product not to work is a great sensation isnt it.

I spent $1800 on this laptop last year, to get problem, after problem x20

then you think the problem has been solved, but, you get a problem, after problem x20

Then as we me with due time, my fist penetrates the keyboard and breaks the motherboard in the process.

Thanks you Microsoft and Billgate for releasing Windows Vista.[/SIZE

This is just a case of someone who hasn't done any research before they bought a product
you say you hate MS, so why do you go and buy a laptop with the most notorious OS they've made in years?
if you hate MS then why by use their software?, you have alternatives like Linux, BSD or go buy a Mac
the least you could have done was get a laptop with XP Pro(or installed/got someone to install it) to know that you were safe

'fist in keyboard'
looks like you have some anger issues you should go see someone about

and while I'm at it
its not just one person who doesn't like your crude tongue
Lots of the Zone don't like it

Rapier Racer
6th July 2009, 07:39 AM
...you say you hate MS, so why do you go and buy a laptop with the most notorious OS they've made in years?
if you hate MS then why by use their software?, you have alternatives like Linux, BSD or go buy a Mac

Linux? When did Linux start getting the same level of developer support that Windows does? Surly it's not practical for a lot of people.

the least you could have done was get a laptop with XP Pro(or installed/got someone to install it) to know that you were safe

It's not that simple I'm afraid, you see the problem lies in new hardware being made available with only a vista driver and not one for XP, so you can't just go ahead and wipe off Vista in favor of XP.

KIGO1987
6th July 2009, 10:02 AM
This is just a case of someone who hasn't done any research before they bought a product
you say you hate MS, so why do you go and buy a laptop with the most notorious OS they've made in years?

Well this is how its goes,

It was the only ****ing OS available on any of the ****ing new laptops at any ****ing store i went to (Harvey Norman, JB Hi Fi, Myer, David Jones, DickSmiths, Austin Computers, that place with that ranga in that commercial plus much more), bs research had anything to do with it.

I wanted XP, but i couldnt get XP, since XP isnt sold in the ****ing shops anymore. Since Microsoft would like to backstab customers in a newer manner these days.

Yes if i was some rich ponsy ****er with an additional supply of income, i then could of paid an additional 40% to get a Macbook. But i cant..... mostly cause i have to PAY for expensive uni books and cunty parking fines at my campus.

If this computer had XP on it, then i would probably be not having this conversation.

AG-wolf
7th July 2009, 04:42 AM
My neighbor next door has a 360. It works great, and the online features seem to work the way such things should. I constantly read of the failures of the PS3 online experience. So I think the 360 deserves serious consideration and should not be just dismissed because of our generalised dislike of Microsoft and its rotten business practices. When they do badly, they should be punished, but when they do well, they should be rewarded.

PSN has to be free because it wouldn't be worth paying for. IMO.
Not to sound too superficial over a relatively insignificant topic... but Lance, with those two posts, my opinion and respect for you has rebounded drastically lol :clap

i pay £5.99 a month, for free demo's of tons of games / the odd free bit of other content, and online play of full games i have purchased. You don't actually need to pay for a Gold live subscription for game demos or marketplace access. The only thing a paid Live account does over a silver account is allow online play and allow netflix access.

KIGO1987
7th July 2009, 03:57 PM
I went to a mates house today to have a bit of a yarn, and suprise suprise the Xbox (hate saying that word, bad as saying cancer or something) he bought crapped its, didnt have the red ring thing though, stopped reading games. Dumb console, i would of put it in the skip the next day.

Now thats not what i wanted to talk about, his uni flat mate has a PS3, but its one of the 40GB ones, and omg, what a hunk of sht it is. I was trying to put in some music on it. Wondering why the stupid card flap wouldnt open, reason being it doesnt have one, stupid. So time to put in the flash drive in instead, what do i see? No USB ports available, reason being, the stupid thing only has 2 USB drives, both of them being used, unliked mine which it has 4 USB drives, where two are being used all the time, but i have the other two i could still use.

If i was in the market now for a PS3 now, I would be disappointed since the current model is such of a downgrade, from the old 60GB model. I myself probably wouldnt of purchased one, given if i was in that position. If that stupid Cntbox wasnt on the market, im certain Sony would be still manufacturing its old backwards compatible and "superior" models, since they wouldnt be in such of a hurry to make a cheaper console, to compete with its competitors, instead, the priority would more be making the console better and more superior than the launch model, by fixing the flaws of the backwards compatibility and possibly introducing upgradeable features in it. Maybe in time the will be another backwards comp PS3 console, and is not as crap as the 40GB one atm too.

Lance
7th July 2009, 04:30 PM
No asterisks. Bravo. :)

Although the fury remains. ;)

KIGO1987
7th July 2009, 04:35 PM
Where the +rep reward for it Lance?

Lance
7th July 2009, 04:43 PM
"... the fury remains."

:D

But I'll give you a bit of rep anyway, since you
'ask' so nicely.

Still wondering how you got more rep than I have... oh, wait... I'm a mod. ;)

AG-wolf
7th July 2009, 04:46 PM
I went to a mates house today to have a bit of a yarn, and suprise suprise the Xbox (blah blah blah I like to make incendiary comments) he bought crapped its, didnt have the red ring thing though, stopped reading games. Dumb console, i would of put it in the skip the next day.

- Ford cars suck because I saw one with a flat tire one day.

- Toshiba TVs are terrible because I heard about someone who got one with a dead pixel.

- Levi's jeans are a waste of money because a pair I owned got a tear in them

Protip: Criticism of a product for a fault that can just as easily occur somewhere else is ridiculous. an optical-media drive is a mechanical component; it can just as likely fail in a computer, in a DVD player, in a PS2, in a PS3 (gasp, no it can't! Can it?), in a car stereo...

DividedXZero
7th July 2009, 04:48 PM
I've never so happy to own an 80gb backwards compatible with all ports and slots...
Really makes you appreciate what you have :)

infoxicated
7th July 2009, 04:52 PM
Having a 60Gb model, I take the memory card slots and full compliment of USB ports for granted. In fact, I was puzzled as to why I got a mini-USB hub in the box when I bought Rock Band 2 a couple of months back, until I remembered that you'd need it to plug in drums + guitar + microphone on one of the gimped models.

I can see why they did it - having to get to the £299 price point quicker than they'd want to, they had to take out the Emotion Engine, memory card reader, 2 of the USB ports, and cut the hard drive size in order to reduce the unit cost. Every penny saved on each console is a fortune when it's scaled up to millions of units.

And this is back before Blu-Ray won the HD format war and internet warriors were clamouring for them to whip out the Blu-Ray drive and downgrade it to a DVD one, so it's lucky that Sony stuck to their guns and kept the essentials.

AG-wolf
7th July 2009, 04:53 PM
@ DividedXZero: I think the 80gb model was the one with only partial compatibility... I told myself if I ever got a PS3, it would at least be one that wasn't gimped with removed features... When I first got a PS3 (had to buy used), I accidentally got one which could only play certain PS2 games... it couldn't play a few of the ones I owned. models "CECHAXX" and "CECHBXX" are the only completely compatible ones, and "CECHCxx" and "CECHExx" are the ones with a few issues... Sony has a page that lets you see if your PS3 model is compatible with specific PS2 games:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Lance
7th July 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm waiting for a 1 terabye soliddrive and a 100 dollars AUS price tag.

KIGO1987
7th July 2009, 05:17 PM
- Ford cars suck because I saw one with a flat tire one day.

Aussie Ford cars crap on the stuff in America. Ford Crown Victoria vs. the Ford Falcon, the Falcon owns. I love how the Melbourne built 4.0liter inline six Barra 310T FG is engine more powerful than the V8s built in the US.

- Toshiba TVs are terrible because I heard about someone who got one with a dead pixel.

Ive owned a toshy before i got a credit refund for it, since with the combination of vista and no HDD protection, the stupid HDD kept on corrupting itself.

AG-wolf
7th July 2009, 05:26 PM
... you... really didn't grasp a single thing I said in that post, did you? Could you legitimately not tell that what I said was blatant sarcasm? You're either a troll, the likes of whom trumps anything I've seen on 4chan in the nearly 5 years I've been on the site... or you really are just totally oblivious and ready to argue about annnyyythinngg at the drop of a hat. When I read your post just now, I genuinely stared at the words for about 45 seconds with my mouth agape, my brain trying to comprehend whether the response i was reading was really there or not. I... I... I don't know what to say from this point. I think I have facepalm.jpg so hard that I am now retarded.

KIGO1987
7th July 2009, 05:37 PM
its called sarcasm you bloody American.

MrSmadSmartAlex
7th July 2009, 05:37 PM

Lance
7th July 2009, 05:41 PM
Enough. And more than enough of this line of argument.

Thread is closed until you cool off.

Go watch the Michael Jackson memorial service and remember what a beautiful and peaceful spirit is like.

Sausehuhn
25th July 2009, 05:09 PM
I normally give a damn about rumors as they are rumors in the end, not more, not less.
Especially because I read people were expecting info about the Slim PS3 for E3 and obviously didn't get it. With the forthcoming Gamescom in cologne (http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/) next month some people speculate that Sony does not only present a Slim PS3 but also announce a price drop.

Does anybody really expect that? I would like to hear your opinions as I tinker with the idea of buying a PS3 in near future if I can buy the system around the 200€ mark. Surely Sony won't drop it that far – even though they should really consider that price as Microsoft and Nintendo offer those low prices as well – but I'm hoping to see further price drops for used machines.

If the new PS3 does not have anything special to it other than being slim and having more GBs, I do not care whether it's a new or used system I buy. I'm just not willing to pay 300 bucks for a gaming console right now. So if anybody has a used system lying around and wants to get rid of it… ;)

okam
25th July 2009, 05:23 PM
I bought my PS3 used, and it's perfectly fine. It cost me about 1/3 of the price of a new one, from an online auction.

That said, as long as I can pop in a disk, or run the games I have on my HD, I don't care if it plays Blu-Ray or anything else and I certainly don't care wether it has 1 or more USB ports (need 1 for my keyboard). I would love to see a cheap stripped-down version, but by all means, make a deluxe one for those who want all the trimmings aswell.

I still also use my PS2 which alongside the original DS2 controller that it came with has been functioning perfectly for 7+ years now. And it has seen a LOT of use through the years :D

Mu5
25th July 2009, 07:57 PM
@Sausehuhn :There is definately not going to be a price drop ...

Sony Financial Issues prevents PS3 price drop

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/rein-sony-financial-issues-prevented-ps3-price-drop

NightArh
25th July 2009, 08:04 PM
I watched prices in neighbour Poland and I have to admit I can buy there new ps3 console $100 cheaper than here... The only reason I will buy it here - I will not be able to play DVD's or Blu-Ray disks cos it is an another region inspite of ps3 games are region-free I will buy it in ukraine...:?

KIGO1987
26th July 2009, 12:41 PM
Keep on asking for a price drop on the PS3 consoles,

Then you begin to question why are there new consoles are so shiity. With limited options on it. All in all, this is only diving Microsoft into creating another monopoly, where consumers have no opinion or selection at all.

Monopolies are not good. This is the last thing i want to see happening.

A few more years an you'll see what im talking about.

NightArh
26th July 2009, 01:00 PM
Yes if you remove card reader and 2 USB ports you will get great price drop... :) I still dont understand this

BTW I talked about prices for the same model (60GB PAL)

Monopoly is a great **** I have to agree with you

Sausehuhn
18th August 2009, 06:40 PM
So. It's there and it's ugly. Those buttons? This surface? This logotype?
Maybe it looks better in real life. Whatever.

At least it's 299.
Euro that is. Ah. And dollars. Which is around 220€ then. Fair exchange rate. Not.

RedScar
18th August 2009, 08:50 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-playstation-3/54348
Video to the premire of the offical slim, and confirmation of a price drop on the PS3 for those who want it

EDIT: Well Gametrailers seems to be having some traffic issues so the link may not work. Be patient

NightArh
18th August 2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah new look is ugly. But PS3 is cheaper now and thats good sign

RedScar
18th August 2009, 08:52 PM
Also, why do you care how a console looks? Your staring at your TV screen not the console itself.

NightArh
18th August 2009, 08:59 PM
I have just surprised why designers made this step. Original one looks better. Yeah I dont staring at it during play but it is a part of interior anyway

AnErare
18th August 2009, 09:07 PM
They did because they can. And want to. For us that is a great step because the console is cheaper now and less bulky.

I think those should be nice aspects if it's going to be a part of the interior of your house.

okam
18th August 2009, 09:49 PM
*shrug* looks allright to me, kinda neutral.

AnErare
18th August 2009, 10:28 PM
Over at Engadget they've already got one and are showing it off together with the original for comparison:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/playstation-3-slim-unboxing-and-hands-on/

edit: Atm they are still working on it so expect updates.

In my opinion it looks rather nice. It's not a shiny toy anymore and also not a look-I'm-a-curved-desktop-pc, which it sort of was ;)

DawnFireDragoon
18th August 2009, 11:36 PM
Finally :)

took some waiting, but i'll be picking one of these up.

looks ok to me, i own an n64 and that thing is ugly...but as mentioned by others, i don't sit there staring at the console...

yeldar2097
19th August 2009, 02:45 AM
:( so if i ever pick up a new one i'll have to hide it somewhere while I dream of the original...

Sausehuhn
19th August 2009, 05:09 AM
Give it a shiny faceplate, switch those buttons to fit the look of the sourrounding parts and change the "PS3"-font and you're done. If they release new faceplates (not necessarily Sony themselfs), it may look pretty decent.

By the way: They changed the fat and bold "PLAYSTATION3" back to "PlayStation3" again…

Darkdrium777
19th August 2009, 05:19 AM
That was changed some time ago. (http://playstation.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/no-need-to-shout-playstation-playstation/)

Haywire_Guy
19th August 2009, 07:27 AM
Who ever knew those blurry images were gold bona-fide authentic o.o

Anyway at least it'll push more fence loiterers over to the Playstation side, and who knows, maybe we'll get a heap more Wipeout players to battle it out on the track =DDD.

Good move Sony.

Darkdrium777
19th August 2009, 07:39 AM
Compared to about every console that ever existed, from this picture (http://www.joystiq.com/photos/ps3-slim-unboxing/2217800/full) and on.

DawnFireDragoon
19th August 2009, 08:18 AM
that's crazy, but very cool. like the one with all the portables on the top!

Amorbis
19th August 2009, 05:11 PM
The PS3 slim isn't very attractive to me, I don't think Sony has done as well design wise as they did with the previous slimmer models of the PSone and PS2. But it's the functionality that counts and it does its job. The firmware 3.0 update that arrives with the slim looks interesting too, new XMB features, dynamic themes, new avatars (finally!). I'm looking forward to that as I've already got a PS3 ;).

Rapier Racer
19th August 2009, 08:59 PM
Hmm I'd buy an older design if I was presented with both options. I like my shiney PS3 cheers. :banzai

okam
20th August 2009, 12:19 AM
Cuntbox 360

OT: My friend still refers to his console as the SeXbox, after the Fox news story on how the Xbox is providing children with the ability to engage in graphic sex (the kissing scene in Mass Effect). It's in his Messenger status message, been there for years now, and I laugh *every* time I see it.

BulletWraith
20th August 2009, 09:52 AM
I haven't had internet access for two weeks so I missed the news
but yesterday as I was walking past EB I saw a guy putting up a new sign, low and behold it was for the PS3 slim, after a brief chat about the Virtual Boy and our earlier discussion on Gumpei Yoko I put down $50 for a pre-order, I'm broke/busy this year so it'll be on lay away till christmas:cowboy

the announcment of the slim/price drop and kigo slain I couldn't be happier

AG-wolf
20th August 2009, 01:35 PM
Not gonna lie, the PS3 slim is a nice looking machine. Sony should have done that to begin with. It's still relatively worthless with only 2 USB ports and no PS2 compatibility, but it at least it isn't raping your wallet anymore. I liked the prospect of some of the stuff they were talking about in the 3.00 firmware update, the "minis" games section, more dynamic themes, etc... let's see what this brings to the table.

Edit: attaching what remains as my favorite PS3 "concept" :P

Lance
20th August 2009, 03:02 PM
I actually prefer the look of the new 'slim' PS3 to that of the original. As for the features, well, that may be another story, though that's what they presumably had to do to cut back the manufacturing expense.

-------

Mod note to zer0shen: KIGO was not slain, just temporarily required to back off for 30 days or so.

Sausehuhn
20th August 2009, 03:13 PM
Ah and while they changed the logotype from Spiderman to Hey-we-cannot-reuse-the-PS2-Font-again-so-we-give-it-a-few-ugly-Curves for the console itself, they will also change it in future for the games.

Yep. After two years, Sony is changing the whole logotype. I was never a fan of the Spiderman font, but what they're doing now is just even more wrong in my eyes.

The Sony marketing guys seem to have some serious design fails lately *hint*PSPgo*hint*

Darkdrium777
20th August 2009, 03:28 PM
The PS3 appears to look better IRL than in those press screens IMO.

Also, it's beaten Wii Sports Resort on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_video_games_display_on_website_mo re?pf_rd_p=475985451&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=468642&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04M8BJXNGRDCAFNKZWN9) :eek Something that was basically impossible to do until now. That new form/price seems to be a success, still can't believe people are talking out of their asses. (http://www.pcworld.com/article/170435/no) :lol

LOUDandPROUD
20th August 2009, 04:13 PM
Also, why do you care how a console looks? Your staring at your TV screen not the console itself.

You stare at the road when you drive, not at the car you're in, right? (well, that applies to men anyway...kidding, ladies! :p ) Yet most folks buy a car that they like the appearance of, so there's obviously something to that. Personally, I like things that look nice, regardless of their primary function and, in this case, much prefer the look of my original 60GB PS3 to this slim version.

Rapier Racer
21st August 2009, 12:32 PM
Does anyone think there will be a supply of the old style PS3s left in stock due to the smaller hard drive and such like for the same cash?

Although you can get a game and Blu Ray movie included with the old one for the same price as the slim.

Might be worth keeping an eye out anybody who wants one but needs a small push.

Lance
21st August 2009, 02:03 PM
I might consider that route when a couple of the new games shown at E3 come out next year. Or I might prefer to buy new hardware for the increased likelihood of longer usable life for me. Longer simply because of not having a couple of years of wear and tear, and also because the new cheaper version likely has increased integration on the motherboard and fewer parts.

Sausehuhn
21st August 2009, 03:21 PM
The price has dropped to 299 for the Slim and for the old "fat" models that remain till they're sold out.
You could argue that you get touch-sensitive buttons and approved hardware for the same time as the Slim now, where the slim could still have some Errors and alike.
Not to mention the Linux functions only the old models offer (for those who need it).

Personally there are only two reasons for me to grab the new one: The reduced noise and the energy consumption. The weight is more or less unimportant for me, as I don't plan to travel trough town with it.
And then of course, the prices for the old systems will drop within the next 2-3 weeks on ebay. The PS3s are already chaeper compared to how much they cost before the PS3 Slim Announcement; and I have the feeling that you can get nearly unused systems for around 200 bucks in very near future there.

And then there's still the point that 299€ are simply too far away from 200$.

Lance
21st August 2009, 04:41 PM
I guess the thing about North America is that you can get lower prices on hardware, but you can't get the content you want. Grrrr.

At least not without way more trouble, and possibly more cash?

Darkdrium777
27th August 2009, 05:09 AM
It's already out in some places, and some have disassembled it already (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation-3-Slim/1121/2).

Pictures of the motherboard and the cooling, in order from the oldest to the newest (Slim model)

Motherboard:
http://h.imagehost.org/t/0027/071111_20.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0027/071111_20) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0190/MuPTJIOYOSj5AxLl.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0190/MuPTJIOYOSj5AxLl)

Cooling:
http://a.imagehost.org/t/0587/071111_27.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0587/071111_27) http://a.imagehost.org/t/0876/071111_26.jpg (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0876/071111_26) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0285/bgtrxaxNwcYWEYCg.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0285/bgtrxaxNwcYWEYCg)

Cell + RSX slim:
http://h.imagehost.org/t/0389/q3OhyQaVpJwjThun.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0389/q3OhyQaVpJwjThun) http://h.imagehost.org/t/0486/LZZutxTtCHI6NXNg.jpg (http://h.imagehost.org/view/0486/LZZutxTtCHI6NXNg)

diddymal
27th August 2009, 06:33 AM
I might consider that route when a couple of the new games shown at E3 come out next year. Or I might prefer to buy new hardware for the increased likelihood of longer usable life for me. Longer simply because of not having a couple of years of wear and tear, and also because the new cheaper version likely has increased integration on the motherboard and fewer parts.

QFT, plus there is a good chance newer PS3's will use the 45nm process, which means reduced power usage, cooler system and a longer lifespan.

Darkdrium777
27th August 2009, 07:30 AM
The Cell in the new PS3 is 45nm, the RSX is 65nm. It's already confirmed.

Sausehuhn
1st September 2009, 07:01 PM
Got the Slim today and believe me it looks so much better in real life than it does on any picture - really _so_ much better! :)

slimjim
1st September 2009, 07:10 PM
im getting the slim tomorrow :D

Lance
1st September 2009, 07:19 PM
You've got the right username for this update!

lunar
1st September 2009, 07:21 PM
max and slimjim, congratulations on the arrival of your new machines - I still love mine and I`ve had it 18 months now. Best boys toy ever for me :)

Lance
1st September 2009, 07:30 PM
All game consoles, computers, and cars rank as best boystoys for me. YAY

[boys, themselves, are a lot more troublesome. :g ]

KIGO1987
1st September 2009, 07:38 PM
Ive bought my PS3 back in 11th of September back in 2007. No regrets hey, some of the best money ive ever spent, ive had zero problems with the console, in a time when all the other computers ive had have crapped out on me. The PS3 is a seriously good investment and is worth its money. Owners of the console would know this.

xEik
3rd September 2009, 06:09 PM
I have also had mine since the 1st. I haven't played much though (shame on me).
Being quite a technology geek I've been trying things like remote play and other network stuff. :P

MrSmadSmartAlex
13th November 2009, 07:16 PM
I'm considering buying a PS3, so can anybody tell me if the Slim is really any worse than an old 60GB model, apart from:

-only 2 USBs instead of 4 (can't see myself using 4 really, maybe a keyboard occasionally)
-no PS2 support (I've heard PS2 support isn't 100% on PS3, and that would just drive me up the wall, so maybe another PS2 on the cheap would suit me better - mine's a bit worn out)
-no OtherOS (I have a PC with Windows/Linux dual-boot, so don't need it on PS3)
-no card readers (what type of cards, and what use are they on a PS3?)
-no SACD support (:lol)

So did anything else get cut from the new models?

Basically it'd be for PS3 games and Blu-rays if I bought it, as I use my PC for most stuff.

Cheers.:)

Koleax
13th November 2009, 09:49 PM
AFAIK, there is no PS2 support at all on the Slim PS3. However there are plans to emulate downloadable PS2 games from PSN. Who knows when or if that will happen, though?

I have a Slim PS3 and I like how quiet it is compared to my old 60 GB, which I bought refurbished and overheated one hot July 4th after several hours of Wipeout HD. I feel the air coming out of the vent from time to time and it never gets anywhere near as hot as the 60 GB did.

I have not paid attention to the card reader slots, but overall the Slim is certainly more solid than the 60 GB.

Seriously, though, I cannot recommend any Sony console. The way they're treating Wipeout and its customers with this Double Fusion thing, I would not buy anything from them.

MrSmadSmartAlex
13th November 2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, good point - the advert thing looks like a big :turd, but am I right in thinking it doesn't affect all games? WOHD wouldn't be my main reason for a PS3 (although I'd probably get it anyway), as I much prefer Pulse and Pure (which I'd be able to play on Adhoc Party:D). I guess the real issue though is: where will it end? Popup ads over your gameplay?:lol
So maybe I'll wait a little while to see how (or even if) Sony react to everybody getting pissed off at them over this (or is it only WOHD players who care?).

I was mainly curious about how the Slim compares to the 60GB in terms of gaming performance, and whether it uses crappy components that melt after 5 minutes gameplay, like the PS2 Slim.:lol
But from what I can gather, it seems they cut features rather than quality (better move IMO). The PS2 thing isn't so important to me, because I could buy a PS2 (with 100% compatibility) with the money I save getting a Slim rather than hunting down a 60GB.

Anyway, thanks for your advice.:+

Koleax
13th November 2009, 11:56 PM
The post-purchase adverts are only in Wipeout right now, as far as I can tell, but they have declared plans to do it in other games. There's really no telling when it will end.

I don't have any other issue with Sony, really. I remember liking them a lot and they had a legitimately good brand, envied the world over. I don't know what would make them want to cheapen it like this.

Still, I don't think you should worry about the Slim. I really value silent-running reliable machines and, aside from a couple hiccups here and there, which I should mention simply to state that it's not perfect, it leaves me with a secure feeling.

I'd prefer emulating PS2 games on a good PC to playing them on an actual PS2, really. That way you can render them in 720p and even higher resolutions. Not every game is perfectly rendered still, but Wipeout Fusion looks terrific. You definitely want to play that game in HD.

MrSmadSmartAlex
14th November 2009, 12:12 AM
I do have a PS2 emulator (PCSX2) on my PC actually, but it's very glitchy on most games I've tried, although it's still in development as far as I know. I've not tried Fusion on it yet though, so I'll get the disc onto my HDD and try it tomorrow. I like doing this with my PS1 games too, on epsxe - Colony Wars just looks amazing!:D

I guess Sony are doing this adverts thing because the PSN is a free service, unlike Xbox LIVE (which I assume has no ads, but don't know), so it's similar to choosing between BBC and ad-funded TV channels in the UK. However, it sounds like they're implementing it very badly. Why don't they just cover the PSN Store with ads instead, or put loads of ads in the demo versions of games?:?
To be honest, ads in loading screens wouldn't drive me nuts as much as some people unless they're very noisy, but I'm against them in principle, and don't want to see them get out of control either.;)

BulletWraith
14th November 2009, 03:27 AM
it's smaller, its quiet and it doesn't seem to get very hot at all, one of the best features though is the matte finnish, love it to bits

no card readers is fine and no PS2 games is not to much of an issue, I like my PS2 and am in no hurry to move it away from my TV due to wipEout wanting its neggie

2 usb ports is my major niggle, another port on the back would have been great then those who want it could hook up a multi hub and or card readers without getting messy

-zer0

Triakis^3
14th November 2009, 02:34 PM
I don't agree with the Kiwi guy there. The older variants of the PS3 where better. Card Readers and PS2 emotion engine inside them, made them all the better console :) Newer ones are rather just a cheaper downgrade.

infoxicated
17th November 2009, 12:04 PM
I don't think the new version is a downgrade, just the PS3 re-packaged for the mass market numbers they're aiming to sell now.

At launch it was very definitely a high-end, luxury AV product and I think it looks as such.

Of course, you don't get PS2 backwards compatibility or the memory card readers - two features I make use of fairly often (replaying San Andreas right now), but I don't believe the mass market needs those features, nor do they need to pay for them.

Myself, I'm glad I got the original model.

KGB
17th November 2009, 12:34 PM
I must be susceptible to adverts as I bought the slim yesterday from Sainsburys for £199.99 (I was looking for Rocky):lol.

infoxicated
17th November 2009, 12:44 PM
The biscuit or the boxer? ;)

Lance
17th November 2009, 01:00 PM
In at least one way, the Slim is an upgrade; IIRC, the main processor is now at the 45 nanometer fabrication layer process. The original was at 90 nm, the intermediates at 65 nm.

KGB
17th November 2009, 04:23 PM

Never found either :frown:. I was loitering with intent around the electrical aisle mainly, never made it as far as the biscuit area. Rocky biscuits made by Foxx's ;). Nice.

ACE-FLO
17th November 2009, 04:32 PM

oh my word! damn! Rocky bars, i remember those and am craving for one. Oh, the nostalgia i'd get if I was to bite into one now... Rocky bars... i want one! Tesco tonight lol

btw, Chuc Norris and Rocky both raced Avalon? awesome beans :D

edit: my PS3 suffers freezes online, when playing hd fury. Is this normal or what?

SaturnReturn
17th November 2009, 06:12 PM
I must be susceptible to adverts as I bought the slim yesterday from Sainsburys for £199.99 (I was looking for Rocky):lol.

At only £200 I might see if I can convince my Dad to buy mine as a Blu Ray and multimedia player for a cheap price and use the cash to fund the purchase of a slim for myself. This could work out nicely. Although I'm not sure why I really want a slim anyway....and why do I crave rocky bars?....damn you KGB. You're like a one-man advertising campaign.

Of course I'm kidding. I already have Rocky bars in my 'chocolate cupboard'. :lol (If I were small enough I'd live in there - heaven). Although they always lose out in favour of kits kats these days, I used to thoroughly enjoy a 'Tim-Tam slam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam_Slam)' with a pair of rocky bars aligned back to back. I've considered putting a penguin bar in between to make a mega-rocky-tam-slam, but a part of me always felt that might have been a tad excessive.

KGB
17th November 2009, 06:25 PM
I was always a Wagon Wheel kind of guy, but of course you have to modify them to dunk in a tea cup, they're smaller than the used to be or is it that I'm bigger.

The Slim looks good, it's going to be a Xmas present for my son. He really doesn't know how lucky he is. I think I was playing Pong when I was his age.:p

infoxicated
17th November 2009, 10:06 PM
Heck, my little girl is 4 on new year's eve, but has a tv with a VHS slot, a dvd player, a Sega Megadrive, and a PS2 at her disposal. Sure, all of them are hand-me-downs that came out long before she was born, but it's still more than I had until I was nine or ten!

And Chuck Norris doesn't race avalon; Avalon races Chuck Norris!

Anyhow, I think the PS3 slim is a bargain at that price - the PS3 is a brilliant Blu-Ray player, as my growing collection will testify. Got the new Star Trek movie yesterday and it's great! :+

designer_79
18th November 2009, 04:19 AM
Yeah, the new Star Trek rocks. JJ is a pretty talented guy imho. But back on topic, the new Slim PS3 has the ability to put out 7.1 audio over HDMI cable in bitstream. Which means if you got a fancy AV-receiver to decode the 7.1 signal finally you will get the 'Dolby HD' logo on your display instead of some measly 'multichannel' notice. Hehe yeah this difference is quite life defining for some true AV enthusiasts ... I'm happy white my white glossy 80GB model though :)

infoxicated
18th November 2009, 07:14 AM
I'd really like a proper home theatre set-up, but I'm not going to get one for the current house I live in because the lounge is an odd shape. It is something of a luxury goal, though - I've bought a bunch of Blu-Rays over the past few months in preparation due to HMV selling them at a sensible price.

Since August I've got The Goonies, Stargate, Robocop, Monsters Inc., Bolt (both saved for the little one's birthday, although I love Monsters Inc.), Star Trek, and Total Recall, and there are several on my wish list, like Serenity, True Romance, Basic Instinct, the Rocky Collection, The Bourne Collection... wow, once I get going there are just so many I want. :)

Rapier Racer
18th November 2009, 11:29 AM
(both saved for the little one's birthday, although I love Monsters Inc.)

:D What a coincidence!

If ya smell what the Sullys cookin!

Lance
18th November 2009, 12:03 PM
OH yeah, Stargate and Total Recall are definitely must-haves for the collection. My Stargate director's cut is a DVD; I don't have a Blu-Ray player. Are there any good non-Sony Blu-Ray players out there for no more than 300USD?

Rapier Racer
18th November 2009, 12:10 PM
Any reason why you'd buy a non Sony player for that price? PS3 costs that ain't it supposed to be the best Blu Ray player on the meerkat?

Lance
18th November 2009, 12:14 PM
Because I've come to despise Sony for the way they constantly mistreat their customers, either by design or by incompetence; I don't want to reward them in any way. Getting a PS3 might appear to be a no-brainer solution for most people, but my sense of justice makes me want some other solution. A brainer? ;) :D

Rapier Racer
18th November 2009, 12:36 PM
Then you have an extremely strong sense of justice my friend, much stronger then most :sonar including me.

Lance
18th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Tchtch. Weakling. ;) :)

abukii
18th November 2009, 03:11 PM
*GASP* Lance, buddy...that aint right. You need (read-- NEED) a PS3. Brains or no, its the superior beast amongst the strong.:nod:rock

Lance
18th November 2009, 06:29 PM
I disagree. Especially about what I need. :D

BulletWraith
19th November 2009, 08:01 AM
as much as I don't like sony for the things that they have done they aren't much worse than any of the other companys around
I'd buy on price/quality/features regardless of the company, well unless they are killing orangutans *cough -palm oil*

Great choice of movies, love the total Re-call and Goonies awesome!, just picked up and watched Demolition Man yesterday:rock, to bad it wasn't on Blu Ray but it was cheap :D

-kiwi Stevie

Rapier Racer
19th November 2009, 02:42 PM
I love Demolition man, a bit cheesy but good. :nod

infoxicated
19th November 2009, 03:40 PM
Demolition Man is one of the finest movies ever made.

Mostly because it introduced me to Sandra Bullock. Oh yes.

//orders Blu-Ray

ACE-FLO
19th November 2009, 03:58 PM
Sandra Bullock, Betty Nguyen... like brunettes do ya Rob? inteligent, sexy brunettes :)

Rapier Racer
19th November 2009, 05:08 PM
I hear they plan on installing those anti swearing machines in certain parts of Australia... BEEEEEHH

I'd rather my launch day full fat console that one of those new cut downs, ta very much.

infoxicated
19th November 2009, 05:10 PM
Betty isn't in the same league as Sandra, but yeah... I'm a fan. :D

Seems that Demo' Man isn't out on Blu-Ray yet... but I can wait.

mdhay
19th November 2009, 05:13 PM
Demolition Man is one of the finest movies ever made.

So true that, hearing Murder, Death, KIll makes me want to wee myself laughing. xD