PDA

View Full Version : MAG - Massive Action Game

YouAreFubar
22nd June 2009, 05:43 PM
Anyone else looking forward to this 256 player online frag-fest? Im hoping it will be playable, 256 players per match seems quite a lot! Its ambitious but I cant wait!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-256-mag/51800

Zoth-Ommog
22nd June 2009, 06:06 PM
I'm looking close to this one, 256 players sounds, well.. huge. I wonder how big all the maps will be, and maybe with 255 players you wont be fragged 10 times in a row by same fella. :)

infoxicated
22nd June 2009, 07:02 PM
Definitely getting this - it looks like the best thing they've produced since SOCOM 2. :)

RJ O'Connell
22nd June 2009, 07:15 PM
Hopefully the game won't be hurt by the people that can't be arsed to think about strategy and actually thinking about what they're doing in favor of just shooting every bloody thing in sight.

Any popular FPS on a Microsoft console, I'm looking at you.

mdhay
22nd June 2009, 07:49 PM
I like the sound of this, but there's no way that this would be free.

Darkdrium777
22nd June 2009, 10:25 PM
Of course it won't, you'll have to buy the disc...
Unless you are talking about monthly fees. In which case it's immediately a deal breaker for me.
Any game that has monthly fees I will never get.

But I don't think there will be some for this game.

YouAreFubar
22nd June 2009, 11:17 PM
I dont think there will be either to be honest. Sony's selling point with PSN is keeping it free, and to be honest theyll probably have the same amount of servers if it was only 32 player matches. Its the 'server architecture' theyve played with to achieve the massive amounts of players they can squeeze online. I wonder how laggy itll be......

Darkdrium777
22nd June 2009, 11:28 PM
Basically the same as a usual FPS.
The PS3 won't fetch the data from players across the map, only those next to you from what I've read so far.
And since it's 32p by platoon, 32v32 by section of the map, you can see how laggy it could be by playing Resistance 2 online in a 64p match... (Though I recommend you rent R2 if you really want to see, because it's not a very good game imho.)

RedScar
23rd June 2009, 04:27 AM
you all know that the 256 players in one server is all just marketing. It is broken down into squad vs squad based combat, which I'm cool with but just don't try and sell me something that it isn't.
Might pick it up, its made my zipper so I have high hopes.

slimjim
23rd June 2009, 11:10 AM
it looks pretty cool might have to get that

TheFrostE
25th June 2009, 04:12 AM
ya 256 player online ( nice try with the marketing there lol). i wont be getting this due to the amount of boring shooters that already exist on the machine...it doesnt matter how many people there are, its the fact that nobody is raising the bar on the genre...nothing innovating about the same re skinned guns and re skinned maps THAT YOU COULD BLOW UP TOO!!!! ZOMG MAKE YOUR OWN COVER!!!!! ....silly FPS

slimjim
21st September 2009, 05:07 PM
sorry for the bump

has anyone been lucky enought to get hold of a beta for this

Darkdrium777
21st September 2009, 05:58 PM
I have not.

I read it was quite good and the graphics were pretty good too (considering 256 character models in-game) and that there wasn't really bad lag issues.

mdhay
21st September 2009, 08:50 PM
My old account has probably got one. Should've made it myself. :rolleyes:

DawnFireDragoon
21st September 2009, 09:30 PM
i was going to mention the graphics issue, as it is definitely not the best looking game, even going by the standards of a couple of years ago and considering it's a ps3 game.....however as Darkdrium stated, taking into account the sheer number of players, i guess you have to suffer in some areas and graphics are not everything. This game, if people stay interested could be....well, massive.

IH8YOU
22nd September 2009, 10:36 AM
256 players? That sounds like a big camping trip.

I predict: Lots of emo-quitting, bring the marshmallows, lag lag lag and imagine if they had an open mic?

Darkdrium777
22nd September 2009, 10:21 PM
You are thinking that the features (like voice chat) you are used to in 4vs4 or 32p (Perhaps even 64p) work the same way in MAG.

They don't. There's no way for a simple squad member to communicate with someone on the other side of the battlefield and on the opposing team I think.
Don't worry, from what I read they've got the stuff working well, be it voice chat or networking.

micky1984
26th September 2009, 12:51 PM
Iv been lucky to get on the beta and hav to say it looks promising, the scale feels right and i havnt experianced any lag so far. Iv played three games and at the moment due to no tutorial iv found it a bit confusing and a little overwhelming, im sure this will change after a few more games :)

jan709
26th September 2009, 02:13 PM
im definately getting this!

slimjim
26th September 2009, 02:15 PM
im in the beta too and i think when it comes out i might get it

YouAreFubar
16th October 2009, 09:35 AM
Im gutted I missed out on the beta, but if you pre-order with play.com they say they will send you out a beta code at some point in the future. Ive pre-ordered and I cant wait to see what its like. Everything ive read and heard from peeps in the beta now seems to to be good.

YouAreFubar
16th October 2009, 10:56 PM
In fact, they just sent me the Beta key now!!!!! Its downloading as we speak, I cant wait!

slimjim
16th October 2009, 11:20 PM
its awesome i have been in the beta for a while now what faction are you going to chose. im in raven

YouAreFubar
17th October 2009, 07:39 PM
I went with Raven as well. I was quite annoyed because I thought id have a quick go after I downloaded it before bed last night, and it suddenly wanted to download 3GB of additional data without warning which I couldnt cancel. I literally had about 4 hours sleep before work this morning (:eek) because it took several hours to download (plus I wanted a quick 15 min go after that wait).

It seems ok, I wouldnt say its amazing, but ive only had a quick go and wont be able to play it again till tomorrow evening. Hopefully once ive given it a good few goes and got used to what im meant to be doing, it might get better. :+

slimjim
17th October 2009, 07:47 PM
yeah that 3gb downloads a killer xD but i think it was worht the wait hopefully i see you online :D

NightArh
11th December 2009, 08:20 AM
I want to try it out but it seems beta servers are down last days. It doesnt load I see just background picture and there are no any warning or error messages. Who has the same trouble?:paperbag

PS
I think I have some kind of issue with my console. Some games dont work... I just reached Zone 50 but I did not get my silver medal. No avards and achievments... Reinstalling games now

mdhay
11th December 2009, 03:37 PM
Are your Blu-Ray's not working?

NightArh
11th December 2009, 04:53 PM
BluRay games are working. And I was wrong about trophies... I am a part of russian PSN and have russian description of that ones. As Paul Tweedle said Wipeout HD has russian translation but I guess he doesnt know that it is incorrect in some places. I did wrong things to get Airbraker Trophy (thanks WZ helped me to understand what to do).

MAG and other demo are still not working nevertheless. Web browser is unstable too :turd

abukii
11th December 2009, 06:45 PM
Mag has been offline since last Saturday. Im not sure when the beta picks back up.