PDA

View Full Version : 2009-05-31: User reputation no longer anonymous

KIGO1987
31st May 2009, 06:34 PM
Just noticed it then. One thing.

You can see the individuals names that gave you rep in your UserCP now.

Wish i could scroll back and see further back than 5 rep additions, see who's responsible for what, etc.

infoxicated
31st May 2009, 06:36 PM
Exactly what it says in the title.

We've had some people leaving truly pathetic messages on the user reputation system and, since it's no longer anonymous, those of you who hid behind that anonymity whilst posting snippy messages with your negative feedback should prepare for some of your own medicine.

It's worth bearing in mind, however, that disrespect will not be tolerated. If anyone is classless enough to be leaving that kind of feedback for people then they'll find themselves leaving the forum, too. It's fine to disagree with someone, but at least be grown up about it.

kaori
31st May 2009, 08:30 PM
Oh nice, but I think I have a little problem, because I have two grey squares given by Wotan! Why? He tells me he wanted give me green squares (maybe it's a lie, haha! ;) )

rdmx
1st June 2009, 03:55 AM
I'm not typically one to leave negative feedback, but I prefered the old anonymous system so that there would be no hostile replies or retribution involved. It's difficult to be honest with people if you know they can just neg rep you the same in return or the act of neg repping would create tension between the two members.

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 04:46 AM
The problem with anonymity is you see only insults pop up in the feedback when it's neg rep. Mainly used by cowards who can't face a proper discussion or properly enunciate why they disagree with the post they are rating (Thanks stinkleroy for your PM :+)
This way people might think twice before posting their comments, and write something more appropriate.

XBARNSTERX
1st June 2009, 04:56 AM
I noticed my rep go up didnt know how or who gave me it, but thanks ill check who they are. How do i give rep back to those that gave me some?......... i only see that as fair:D

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 05:20 AM
Use this image: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/images/buttons/reputation.gif at the top right of the post.

rdmx
1st June 2009, 05:23 AM
I was also going to mention that the display of names makes it all the easier for a small circle of members (I'm not sure what's the minimum number of people you must distribute rep to) to high-five each other constantly >_>

infoxicated
1st June 2009, 09:07 AM
You have to add rep to 10 different people before you can go back to the first one.

Mad-Ice
1st June 2009, 09:42 AM
I have also been giving grey or light blue rep. from Wotan. Does this colour mean something negative?

Anyway, I think it is good that we are able to see who is giving reputation to you. Thumbs up Rob.

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 10:20 AM
Grey means 0 points, doesn't it? We should give some rep to Wotan so he actually gives back some :) (And being the fastest guy online, he kinds of deserves it a little...)

ACE-FLO
1st June 2009, 12:54 PM
Huh? Giving rep to someone simply because they are fast online/for fear of getting negative rep, sounds like the wrong reason for "repping" someone. Dunno. Up to you guys, but I always thought you get good rep if someone enjoyed reading your post, and bad rep if someone disagrees with your post, and that - strongly enough to give negative rep...

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 03:45 PM
Of course I was not entirely serious.
He currently gives 0 points, if someone gives just 1 he'll be giving back 1 when he reps people. :)
I don't use it much myself, actually.

KGB
1st June 2009, 06:26 PM
How can you give someone 0 rep points? The choice is negative or positive.

Also at what figure do they change the green rep things. I know I got two at 100 rep points, when does it change again.

In a very shallow way it makes me happy when I get them:D

Darkdrium777
1st June 2009, 07:24 PM
Well, if he wasn't given any reputation he starts at 0 no? Or he was negged by someone and is now perfectly at 0, or under 0.

Anyways this is being taken too seriously. It's just some coloured box really.

ACE-FLO
1st June 2009, 07:43 PM
Yes, I agree, it's superficial if you go to every post and start repping everyone... a lil sad even!

But this whole rep thing does serve a purpose, if it is used right...

LOUDandPROUD
1st June 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not typically one to leave negative feedback, but I prefered the old anonymous system so that there would be no hostile replies or retribution involved. It's difficult to be honest with people if you know they can just neg rep you the same in return or the act of neg repping would create tension between the two members.

My sentiments exactly. I've never given negative rep, but I've come close once or twice. This is how I see it...rep, be it positive or negative, is meant to give a general portrait, over time, of an individuals forum behavior. So, even if you get a few bad apples that leave neg rep for the wrong reasons (and don't forget that people leave positive rep for the wrong reason too, something of which I'm guilty myself), it shouldn't impact someone's portrait enough to skew it inaccurately...so, if someone has enough neg rep (or positive rep even) that it really shows, then they clearly deserved it. My point is, if I were to feel so strongly about someone's post to give neg rep, I don't feel I should then have to be subjected to retaliatory neg rep or even a PM regarding why I left the neg rep. I don't feel like I owe an explanation beyond whatever comment I left with the rep. Obviously I left it because I didn't like what you had to say...get over it and move on. It's not a matter of cowardice either, I just don't feel this new lack of anonymity is conducive to people giving neg rep when neg rep is due. I certainly will be even less prone to ever leave neg rep now, simply to avoid hostility and receiving neg rep in return. Of course, the fact that names are shown when giving positive rep isn't a big deal in my mind, as I doubt anyone would care if someone knew they gave them positive rep...though I suppose somebody out there would prefer to remain anonymous for some reason.

Having said all that, I love Wipeoutzone!!! Seriously, I do... :)

andy
1st June 2009, 09:17 PM
Use this image: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/images/buttons/reputation.gif at the top right of the post.

thanks for that dd777, never known how to do that before.

I think it's cool to see who I've been given rep off previously.

Darkdrium777
2nd June 2009, 03:58 AM
The problem L&P is not leaving + or - rep or anything like that: it's using the rep system to anonymously insult people.
This is to prevent that abuse. People know their names show up on the other side, so they won't do it anymore.
Neg me all you want I don't care (It's a coloured box... big whoop), but have valid comments to leave.

yeldar2097
2nd June 2009, 11:38 AM
i'm still a bit confused by this system. wotan has two green thingys and he's giving 0 rep. how come?
sorry if i'm just being an idiot but i'm proper confused at the mo.
:D

infoxicated
2nd June 2009, 12:50 PM
Try here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_reputation

Wotan
2nd June 2009, 01:31 PM
@ Kaori , Mad-Ice : Sorry for my grey squares , i don't understand why they aren't green . I never received bad reputation (as far i know) , and i know some people (leungbok for example) had green squares (from me) :|

LOUDandPROUD
2nd June 2009, 05:11 PM
The problem L&P is not leaving + or - rep or anything like that: it's using the rep system to anonymously insult people.
This is to prevent that abuse. People know their names show up on the other side, so they won't do it anymore.
Neg me all you want I don't care (It's a coloured box... big whoop), but have valid comments to leave.

I understand what you're saying, but the amount of good apples here outweighs the amount of bad apples by a large margin. So, the few jerks that choose to leave insults via bad rep won't affect the rep enough to really make a difference. Unless neg rep insults were running rampant here to a degree that I'm unaware of? Like I said before, the whole rep system is meant to paint a portrait of an individuals forum behavior...but, if you discourage people from leaving neg feedback by no longer having it be anonymous, then the integrity of the system suffers. Sure, some people don't care about anonymity and will still leave neg feedback, but many won't. Whereas, if it was anonymous, few would shy away. Look what eBay has done...now, only buyers are able to leave neg feedback, but sellers can't. That's due to all the retaliatory neg feedback or email that was frequently left in return. The reasoning behind the change they made can be applied here, as well. Anyway, that's my opinion on the subject. As you said, I'm sure you would handle receiving neg feedback just fine without anyone having to worry about you retaliating or harassing them in return, which is awesome...but, not everyone is going to be as calm as you, unfortunately.

On that note, I just gave you negative rep. KIDDING! :P

Asayyeah
2nd June 2009, 05:13 PM
whhhhat got also a grey one by you Wowo :eek :D :eek from HD photo gallery ( lol i never posted any photos into it !)
Is it due to the HD Vista pads contamination :D

Nah actually i know the reason : you are an alien (also called 'the little grey ' in our country :D) i ve unmasked you héhé

;)

leungbok
2nd June 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh ! no raëlians here i hope :eek
;)

SaturnReturn
2nd June 2009, 10:35 PM
I've had what I assumed was neutral feedback from Wotan and others. I had seen the FAQ that said neutral feedback would be given when someone doesn't meet the criteria for positive or negative. The neutral ones always seemed to be members with very few posts, so I thought it was something to do with that. Maybe less than 50 posts (seems a lot) is one of the criteria? I'm completely guessing now but it made sense at the time.

MrSmadSmartAlex
4th June 2009, 04:52 PM
I for one prefer to know who's repped me. I got proper ****ed off by some attempted neg rep I got not so long ago (it was grey though - no points reduction), but it turned out to be INFAXSU in disguise, just trying to cause trouble:rolleyes:. I felt much better when I found out it was just some bitter wanker, rather than a proper forum member hating on me.
If I got a neg rep with a reasonable comment as to why somebody didn't like my post, I wouldn't necessarily rep them back. I'd look at my post and consider what they'd said.
....then neg rep them!:lol (joke)