PDA

View Full Version : best ship for each track

JABBERJAW
24th October 2002, 03:31 PM
Has anyone played this game enough to know what the fastest ship for each track is? Specifically altima, terramax, and firestar. I know quirex is the fastest for altima, but to do well in the contest, I think it will suck on the other two. As of now I'm going to use ag systems, but I'm thinking auricom could be faster if driven properly.

Of note: I stink at this game! :cry:

xEik
24th October 2002, 03:51 PM
I haven't played it that much (it's the last WipEout I bought), but for me AG-5Y5 is the best all-rounder ever. In case I was more skilled I could consider Auricom because it's better in WipEou2097 (although its more difficult to handle). The problem is that in Wip3out Auricom isn't as good as AG-5Y5. It's up to you.

I can't take part in the challenge but the fact is that AG-5Y5 is the team I feel more comfortable racing with and sometimes this is more important than stats eg. my Phantom records for 3 are better with AG-5Y5 although I know that Icaras can do better, as the record tables prove.

Nice thing about challenges concerning other versions appart from 3 an SE is that we don't know how good we are compared to the other WipErs. I've spent lots of time with 2097 so I suppose I could rank top ten but I'm totally crap at the original one so I'd have no chances there.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
24th October 2002, 03:52 PM
my PC version of the game quit working so soon that my inexperience at this game and my general lack of expertness would make my judgement suspect, BUT, just before it quit working, i had decided that auricom was the way to go, at least on terramax and a couple of the others. most of the time before that, i had played AG Systems, splitting my time between Dekka and Chang, not that there was a difference between those pilots that was noticeable to me

DJ Techno
24th October 2002, 04:49 PM
My best ships for a Wipeout track is Auricom
Altima VII

Feisar in Silverstream

Auricom again for Firestar

only because manuever and speed are the same with the auricom crafts and I need that for going up the hills and hitting those speed pads.

Task
25th October 2002, 03:33 AM
After much experimentation, I found that the AG Sys was the craft for most of that game. On some tracks the Qirex can be hauled around well, but most of them required (for me) the sharper handling of the AG Sys. I too thought that the Auricom would be a better craft, but I found that it's got worse accelleration than you'd think and that the airbrakes really kill its speed. I'd spend most of my time wishing I was going as fast as my AG Sys would. That thing doesn't quite have the top speed, but it gets up there quick and stays there all race. In short, any track that you can race the Auricom around, you could fly the Qirex faster. So I'd say "don't bother wasting time with Auricom, go straight to Qirex". Of course, I've always hated the Auricom and loved the Qirex, so maybe it's just me. 8 )

Wiseman
25th October 2002, 06:38 AM
Altima VII - Quirex
Like you said, the Quirex is the best for this track. Only real hard part is coming out of the tiny tunnel into the finish line.

Terramax - AG-Sys
That friggin' turn before the first tunnel is dang near impossible with the Quirex, I haven't been able to do it without full on massive braking. And even then, if I hit the wall, I go on a mad bouncing spree half way through the tunnel afterwords... totally destroyed my time. Also it's hard to hit the 3 turbos (without hitting the wall) on that long turn after the first jump. My times have always been better with the AG-Sys.

Firestar - Quirex
The hardest part is the first part, you just have to take it slow a realize that you wil make up for it come the trademark "3/6 turbos before a 90 degree turn" that Firestar is famed for.

Although it might sound strange, without those turbos before the turns, it wouldn't be possible (at least for me) to do the track with the Quirex.

See, the thing about the Wipeout Quirex, unlike the sequels, is that it doesn't really 'turn' that much worse than any of the other ships, it just slides like it's on ice all of the time.

This sliding, coupled with the turbos (which make you slide even more, if you turn on them) make it possible. Although you have to take your regular wiping skills and pretty much throw them out the window.

Instead, pretend like you're in Ridge Racer and get used to turning super early, sliding around a lot, and most importantly, get used to facing the side of the track a lot.

It's quite a rush, I tell you.

Although for myself, I'm probably going to stick with the AG-Sys, partially because of Terramax, and also earning Firestar with a Quirex is something that takes time. Since it's the only place you'll ever use those skills, it would require me racing Firestar with a Quirex often just to keep up with it.

Unfortunately, I haven't kept up, and last time I tried it again I raced horribly, I think I only got a 53 second lap time. :lol:

Wiseman
28th October 2002, 08:11 AM
Well, I've been practicing some, and I can now take the Quirex around Terramax without hitting any walls. 8)

Finally got that blasted turn before the tunnel down, just have to know when to stop turning, and let the slide take over. :lol:

Now I'm practicing a bit more on getting Firestar down, and then make sure I can take it through the pack easily on Single Race mode (I've been doing it in Time Trail for practice).

I'm probably going to be using the Quirex for this part of the challenge now.

LOL, I know I'll be loosing on Wipeout XL and 3, so I figure this is my best shot to get first place somewhere. :lol:

JABBERJAW
28th October 2002, 12:13 PM
What is your time on terramax?(pal or ntsc?)

Wiseman
29th October 2002, 05:49 AM
I'm using good old NTSC. :D

As to my times, well, you'll just have to wait until the challenge to see! (:p)

I will tell you my race time is below 2 minutes, though (like that helps). :lol:

JABBERJAW
29th October 2002, 12:17 PM
under 2 minutes, couldn't this easily be done with even feisar :D I'm betting your around 1:48.5. I'll just test on TT to see which is the best, but quirex will take a bit of getting used to after playing redshift so much.

DJ Techno
29th October 2002, 06:50 PM
Wiseman

I would like to see your times
when the challenge starts.

I remember before it was cracked in half, I had the orignal, origanal wipeout cd with F3600 and the Psygnosis bird on the front of the cd.
My times for all the track but Korodora were well under a minute and thirty to fourty.
:cry: And now that my cd is gone
:evil: I have to go out and find another, not the origanal but a PS Greatest Hits cd instead

And how many days are left until Racing.

Auricom will reign
"yes back on the topic of best ship"

zargz
30th October 2002, 02:24 AM
I would say AGsys 4 all the trax .. And daniel chang .. :D