PDA

View Full Version : First Person Perspective

Vartazian
11th May 2009, 10:02 AM
Hey Guys. I just tried first person perspecdtive for the first time today online, and I gotta say...

THIS IS THE MOST FUN IVE EVER HAD PLAYING WIPEOUT!

The perspective is so much different and the fact that when you turn your ship leans just adds to the Fun. (not to mention it makes using the cannon a Helluva lot easier!) I started on Rapier tonight and I hope to hit up Phantom sometime real soon.

Like. The Rush, and the whole keeping your orientation after a Barrell roll is so much fun and I gotta say this is the first time ive ever played wipeout for the fun of it, instead of for the Competition.

If you guys havent tried it yet I highly suggest it, It takes a bit of getting used too but once you get you Visual Equilibrium down its a whole new way to play wipeout.

What do you guys think?

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 10:10 AM
I can use both well. Third person for me though, no disorientation from BRs, and that's a must when racing against other people from here. :g

I will occasionally indulge in a few first person races without BRs against the AI, for the sensation though.

Eventually if the game returns to a point without BRs in the future, this might become my camera setting, but now it's just like Rollcage was a few years ago, impossible to use because of the screen flipping (IMO) :)

yeldar2097
11th May 2009, 10:19 AM
...but now it's just like Rollcage was a few years ago, impossible to use because of the screen flipping (IMO) :)
Bring back rollcage right now!!! mmmmm...HD flipping madness :D

1st person is awesome: unless I'm in a competition (ASTRAL etc....) I go for it because it's so manic and awesome and weeeeeeeeeee

zone mode in 1st person blew my socks right off. Granted, I was rubbish but I had great fun which is pretty much the whole point :D

Connavar
11th May 2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah I love it, that's the view I used for the first 2 months, then I switched
to external far mostly because of BRs... But I'll try it some more, it's mighty
impressive!

xtriko
11th May 2009, 10:36 AM
since 1996 that i always play with internal view. that's the true joy of wipeout. Like you guys say, now it's hard to keep your mind well oriented with br action in ubermall etc. there lot's of ppl that i can't match with. but... I'm not a loser either ;) one of the most dificult challenges ever was zico lol. that br madness was hard to master. but now, my best time (with my girl's account Spitfire2097) was 30.52. and i made it a "little" drunk lol. I'm not sure but i think that Wellington86 is also a internal view player... and take a look at his times ;) This is just like sex lolol. External is fun... but the real deal is internal XD AAHAHAHAH

ElectroBolt
11th May 2009, 11:36 AM
I made the opposite change a week ago, and quickly came to the conclusion that rear view was kinda easier (at least for me). It allowed me to beat Zico (well, I gave it another try after several months since I felt that I had way more control on BRs), reach zone 59 at first attempt after having been stuck at zone 54 for many days... and more to come obv.

My only frustration with internal view was that I couldn't enjoy the design of my ag-craft, while I thought it offered much more control. I don't feel that way anymore... To me, rear view means effeciency, internal view means fun and... a genuine Wipeout experience! :rock

Btw, though a little off topic, I would love to be able to look around the ship in both internal and external view. Ideally, I would like a real cockpit view but this is probably never gonna happen (too many ships to render I guess).

archman
11th May 2009, 12:21 PM
OK, I'm a little lost here, (Playing Pulse) but my opinion is the same as your, guys. I switched to internal about a month ago, and my skill didn't downgrade at all. But the feel of racing was increased, it is so much faster, enjoyable, and the control of your ship much better. BRs are a joy to perform (you're kind of lost when you execute 'em, but it's all in the habit). Also the feel of speed is way better. I also play internal in every other racing game. The feeling is the most important thing here, and with internal it is given in the best possible way.
:P

crawdad62
11th May 2009, 03:57 PM
I use the rear far view most of the time. Internal is cool and I use it sometimes. I really wish they had an internal cockpit view. The way it is now it's like there's a camera mounted on the nose cone. I'd like one with the ships internal controls visible. I think it would give me a better orientation of exactly where my ship is.

I used to use rear far view in Gran Turismo but have adopted the internal cock pit view. Really cool and much more "life-like" having the cars internals visible.

Spece2goin
11th May 2009, 05:15 PM
They should add a view like Car racing games : the one just over the nose of the ship.
it will follow the ship movement, (like internal view) without being to close to the track (wich i hate, i feel like licking the ground, no comment on this please.)
Maybe a real cockpit view would be interesting.

DividedXZero
11th May 2009, 05:26 PM
IIRC, didnt WO3 offer cockpit views?

I distinctly remember the assegai (cockpit to one side of the ship) was messed up on the prototype tracks because the frame work was in the middle of your view.

SaturnReturn
11th May 2009, 05:29 PM
I tried it a while ago during Avalon - was awesome fun, until I got a headache from it. It's definitely more sensational than the external views, but I'd have to both get the hang of the controls and immunise myself to headaches to be able to use it permanently. So wish I could - would be awesome.

Zoth-Ommog
11th May 2009, 05:52 PM
For me, it's always been internal view. If i try to race from external, i'm all over the place. As mentioned before, the one and only downside is, that you need extra concentration to keep your orientation when executing BR's, which is hell of a lot harder than BR'ing with external view.

archman
11th May 2009, 06:06 PM
...i feel like licking the ground...

I really like that thing, almost licking the ground =)
Sorry for quoting! ;)

@ Zoth-Ommog and concentration:

Heh, that's why I don't have a soundtrack while playing anymore. :D

Rubix42
11th May 2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I've always been an internal view racer. It's how I learned how to play XL (my first Wipeout game) and any time I switch to behind the ship I can't properly race consistently.

TheFrostE
11th May 2009, 06:50 PM
i like dabbling in first perosn every so often but some tracks are rather hard to perform on such as ubermall in first person. especially now with the BRs working at random times, it may catch you off guard.... my favorite track for WOHD in first person is defintely metropia forward/reverse goin down tht mag strip....WOOO!!!!!!

Spece2goin
11th May 2009, 08:28 PM
you're right, when you BR on Ubermall, your ship looks into the sky, and you dont see where to go as you cut...

komatos
11th May 2009, 08:40 PM
Like I said in another similar thread not too long ago :lol, I have been and always will be a first person/internal view racer. Gives you the largest sense of realism. May not always make for the best piloting on my part, but I've grown so used to it (since the days of the first Wipeout & XL), that I just can't see controlling my hovercraft in any form (near or far) of third person view. You think I bounce around the track hitting walls in Rapier/Phantom class in internal mode, you wouldn't wanna see me in 3rd person. :lol I race like a total :turd. in that viewpoint.

Rubix42
11th May 2009, 09:28 PM
you're right, when you BR on Ubermall, your ship looks into the sky, and you dont see where to go as you cut...

While I see what you are saying, by playing this in internal mode from day 1 until now, you do this part on reflex at this point. I need to see the track, but manuevering the chicane internally comes naturally to me from all the constant repetition.

Now I know I am not one of the best pilots on the forum, not by a long shot, I can be competitive. I think the internal view requires a bit more "fly by instinct" on tough technical sections, they are certainly do-able with practice.

stoneygate
11th May 2009, 09:48 PM
While racing a friend, who's new to WOHD, I used cockpit view to give him some advantage over me but it didn't take too long before it clicked and now I only use external view for fast & "serious" races!

ProblemSolver
12th May 2009, 04:30 PM
I prefere first person rear view. xD

Yeah I did a lot of zoning using the rear view (keeping R3 pressed on my
settings). Quite funny! Another interesting view is the wtf-view, that is;
keeping your eyes shut. Try it! Tip: Turn the music off and increase the
FX sound, because you can hear if you are close to a wall. :)

blackwiggle
12th May 2009, 05:07 PM
I have always raced in cockpit view...can get dizzying when playing through a projector with 2.5m screen...but you get used to it.

Anything over 10 laps at Phantom speed gets very disorientating though I must admit.

I'm pretty sure cockpit view is what Asayyeah uses as well.
Probably the reason for the Schnitzel regurgitation at the Euro Convention.:lol

Zoth-Ommog
12th May 2009, 05:11 PM
I think the internal view requires a bit more "fly by instinct" on tough technical sections

You put my toughts to words.

Asayyeah
13th May 2009, 12:24 PM
True BW : once upon a time i used the :blarg Schnitzel view :blarg : it's weird everything looks bigger and your stomach wants to go through the pitlane

Definitely internal addicted here from early beginning till my eyes let me use it :P

ericd7
13th May 2009, 06:43 PM
I have tried sebenco with internal view to see.
It was funny especially after barrel roll but so difficult!!
A cockpit view with board details would be great in the next update.

Spece2goin
13th May 2009, 06:58 PM
I have tried sebenco with internal view to see.
It was funny especially after barrel roll but so difficult!!

that same barrel roll that sends you into the ice, i have to give it a try, that looks funny!

Connavar
14th May 2009, 09:32 AM
Yesterday I did about 8 races with Internal view, on Rapier, it was great and
it felt like Phantom speed! To execute BRs successfully without hitting walls
afterwards, I just had to trust my instinct/reflexes (aquired after long hours)
and NOT my eyes, and then they worked just fine and looked phenomenal,
especially the double BR on ubermall forward!

blackwiggle
14th May 2009, 05:32 PM
Nailing the short cut and throwing in 2 BR in the process on Ubermall Reverse in Cockpit view 5 laps in a row in a Phantom TT = The definition of DIZZY.

Also IMHO extremely hard ,if not the hardest thing you could do in to whole of HD.

yeldar2097
14th May 2009, 05:39 PM
i'll second that BW
alternatively: sebenco climb time trial, 7-8 BRs/lap, phantom speed = :dizzy
I'll make a video of it this sunday :P

xtriko
14th May 2009, 07:47 PM
Also hard to do in cockpit view IMO is the Chenghou reverse shortcut... well, the shortcut is not that hard but... performing a BR while doing it... wow XD I have to be really inspired lol

blackwiggle
14th May 2009, 08:35 PM
I found you don't even have to attempt to do a L R L or R L R to do a BR on that Chenghou reverse short cut .
Just tapping on the air brakes while steering left will get you into a sort of spiral that ends up BRing.
I think it might be because the craft is well above any track and that once it leans past a certain point [which it could never do while on a track] just BR's automatically.
Same thing on the big jump on Chenghou forward ,if you take a slightly wrong line while in the air and adjust with the air brakes so the line is correct for the little tunnel/chicane,that leans the craft over to the right ,causing a BR without L R L.
Sort of a \ / would be the normal lean while on a track and not quite _\ or / _ would be the lean using the air brakes whilst in flight ,if that makes any sense to you.

caller77
15th May 2009, 07:28 AM
What is external view haha.... I may have to learn to fly this way though as other pilots are ramming me to bits ( literally ). Also, I seem to be stuck on zone 66 so maybe external view is the way to go on zones.