PDA

View Full Version : So close!!

WolfKill01
3rd May 2009, 12:24 AM
I was so close to beating Al Sartwell's lap time; on single race; on terminal; on wipeout 3!!

He only beat me by 10 MILLISECONDS!! 10 MILLISECONDS!!

I WAS SO CLOSE!! I WILL NOT REST UNTIL I BEAT THAT TIME ONCE AND FOR ALL!!! :bomb

Yeah, I know I'm probably overeacting on this but hey,
I still get bragging rights. ;)

JABBERJAW
3rd May 2009, 01:54 AM
thanks

WolfKill01
3rd May 2009, 02:15 AM
What did you mean by "thanks", Al? :?

Darkdrium777
3rd May 2009, 04:26 AM
"Thanks for not beating me" I guess? :g

Or "Thanks for reminding me I need to make a better time" xD :lol

JABBERJAW
3rd May 2009, 12:47 PM
both really, but more the second one :)

lunar
3rd May 2009, 04:35 PM
Hello wolfkill, welcome to the site. Personally I can`t stand Terminal, but that`s quite a lot faster than Al`s lap so it is pretty impressive. What sort of controller are you using?

WolfKill01
3rd May 2009, 07:24 PM
I actually just beat his time last night.

23.10(my time) to 23.76(Al's time)

I was using just a regular d-pad controller that came with the playstaion when i got it so many years ago.

AG-wolf
4th May 2009, 03:26 AM
Which version?

WO3 PAL
WO3 NTSC-U/C
WO3 NTSC-J
or
WO3 Special Edition

They're all different :P

WolfKill01
4th May 2009, 09:00 PM
Which ever one is sold in america. Not to sure. :lol

Lance
4th May 2009, 09:07 PM
That would be NTSC-U/C.

Velocitar64
6th May 2009, 07:40 PM
I got 10 seconds honest super serial honest (honest).

WolfKill01
4th June 2009, 02:19 PM
Just did it again on Stanza Inter last night. I'm on a roll ;)

23.83(Al's time) and 23.57(my time)

Did it last night. Wasn't really even trying to beat his time. Just trying to improve my own times.

JABBERJAW
8th June 2009, 03:21 AM
I'd like to see a video of that, but not the replay though, the real race. That is a fast time without a negcon, and is very impressive.

WolfKill01
11th June 2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry, Al. Unfortunantly, I did not record any of my races. :frown:
Well, I did record the replay of the lap on terminal,that beat your time, with my phone. But that was a replay, and the quality is pretty bad. :?

OH. And thanks for the positive feedback ;)

lunar
16th June 2009, 07:09 AM
Hi Wolfkill. Not to doubt you but beating Al with a dpad while "not really trying" sounds a bit impressive at least. Can you please post a gameplay video so that we can really see what you`re capable of. It`s normal for people setting new Phantom records on the old games to be asked for proof. Some of the best pilots ever had to do it, and hopefully it should be easy enough for you to point your camera phone at the TV for a bit. Thanks. :)

Lance
16th June 2009, 11:57 PM
Hell, I even asked Asa for proof.

Once.

WolfKill01
19th June 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Wolfkill. Not to doubt you but beating Al with a dpad while "not really trying" sounds a bit impressive at least. Can you please post a gameplay video so that we can really see what you`re capable of. It`s normal for people setting new Phantom records on the old games to be asked for proof. Some of the best pilots ever had to do it, and hopefully it should be easy enough for you to point your camera phone at the TV for a bit. Thanks. :)

OK lunar, I'll try to record a race to show off my stuff ;)
But, what would you like to see? i.e.: A perfect Time Trial, a record-breaking lap, a casual single race?
Before I forget, here's the link to the video of the replay of the terminal lap that beat Al's. Exuse the horrid quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFvz79H2fE

lunar
21st June 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Wolfkill, thanks for replying. Lance is right, even the mighty Asayyeah was asked to provide proof. He did so with panache (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrkmk43Rog&feature=channel_page) we have to say!

Could you do a fast Single Race lap, preferably a record but at least at the standard of the records you set and on one of the record tracks. Also a perfect TT would be the ideal way to show what you`re capable of if you could do that.

Please can you send actual gameplay videos though and not replays. Thanks again for offering to do videos. :banzai

SonicChaos
22nd June 2009, 01:22 PM
Nicely done on the times, can't wait for a vid so I may learn from it and beat your time in kind lol.

Asayyeah
22nd June 2009, 01:54 PM
Hell, I even asked Asa for proof.

Once.
Hell yeah! but please can you send back to me my sextape's proof ?

Asayyeah was asked to provide proof. He did so with panache we have to say!
Oh... you mean wipeout proof ? :paperbag
Damnit i misunderstood :lol

Seriously speaking I would love to see your amazing laps & races wolfkill, especially done with a dpad

SonicChaos
22nd June 2009, 03:25 PM
I'm not sold on getting a neGcon just yet. Dualshock has served me well so far and it might still be as good if you get a vid up.

lunar
22nd June 2009, 06:44 PM
Hell yeah! but please can you send back to me my sextape's proof ?

I can`t believe you let Lance have the tape before me. According to your rep "Asayyeah is a splendid one to behold" so you must share this thing with the community.

:cold

@SonicChaos, I`m sure you will find a negcon is faster if you get one, and more satisfying to play with, but I`m looking forward to those dpad videos anyway, Wolfkill.

SonicChaos
22nd June 2009, 06:49 PM
So you say it's worth dropping the $30 or so to get one? If so I'll ebay one.

lunar
22nd June 2009, 06:51 PM
Definitely worth it, but also worth spending the extra $$ for a new one as they do get tired and loose on their centre spring after a lot of action :)

SonicChaos
22nd June 2009, 07:04 PM
Well, I'll check it out. In the meantime a good time for a dpad is rare around here?

WolfKill01
22nd June 2009, 09:59 PM
WHOA! Everyone is asking for those vids. Even the famous asayyeah. No pressure, right? :redface:

Anyway, please be patient guys. I'm trying to find the best and cleanest way to record the vids. It'll just be a little while longer. ;)

SonicChaos
22nd June 2009, 11:42 PM
No pressure, we're just eager to see this amazing feat in action.

lunar
23rd June 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to find the best and cleanest way to record the vids. It'll just be a little while longer. ;)

thanks, your phone could be good enough. I think we only need to be able to see the screen and it doesn`t have to be Blu Ray, though that would be nice. ;)

If the quality is low you could upload the raw video file to a filesharing service like media fire or rapidshare for people to download that file. This would avoid using YouTube and the loss of video quality when it goes on to YouTube and gets compressed again.

Asayyeah
24th June 2009, 09:28 AM
WHOA! Everyone is asking for those vids. Even the famous asayyeah. No pressure, right? :redface:
Lol , no pressure man at all, but i am very intriguished by your dpad skill, you know everytime in the past ( the last 3 years) pilots who stated to get new records with Dpad VS those who were using Negcon lead to a cul-de-sac, meaning it was fake scores.
But don't get me wrong i am not a blind-minded guy, i know there's always someone better than ourself : look at new comers into Wipeout life : like Wellington, Wotan or Pirahpac they weren't there ( through WZ) before HD and look at their results : blazing scores with Wipeout HD, beating the old farts members ( i am currently located into that club :lol ). But it makes sense cause we are racing under the same playfield level ( same controller) , in the case of old Wipeouts it's not that obvious cause there's a top controller existing : the Negcon from Namco.

So it would be cool for you to be the 1st to proove a dpad pilot could be better than a neggie pilot ( Neggie is my beloved nickname for naming a Negcon : such a pretty sexy controller ;) )
So you know what to do : good luck with video project :banzai

SonicChaos
25th June 2009, 07:28 PM
That would be awesome to see a dpad beat a neGcon. That way you don't have everyone buying neGcon's just to compete with other times.

WolfKill01
26th June 2009, 01:55 AM
I'm so ashamed I couldn't get a better quality video up. :frown::redface::frown:

I took it with my phone. I couldn't hold it myself, so I made the mistake of letting my klutzy brother hold it while I played. To make it worse, he didn't even record the entire lap. It starts late and ends early. Sorry. :frown:

Well, It's a perfect lap on stanza inter and it actually beat my old time(23:57) with a much more impressive time(23:07). I'll try to upload it to rapidshare or something later. For now, here it is on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737NjYPMeeg.
Good luck trying to enjoy it, and sorry again that it looks like :turd

lunar
26th June 2009, 07:30 AM
I think, as Asayyeah said, we`ve had a few people make claims with dpad times in the last few years and they have turned out to be cheats. I would just echo Asa`s previous post, he says it perfectly. This isn`t a personal attack against you, we just naturally want to keep the tables clean and honest and we don`t know you yet. I guess it`s not an easy topic. I don`t know what to make of your video as I can`t read the numbers, to prove it`s a continous video and the right speed for one thing, and it`s not the whole lap. Maybe a non-YouTube link would be clearer and give more of a clue.

I don`t know if Al or Asayyeah or somebody a bit better at Wipeout 3 than me could make any sense of the video and see if indicates anything. Personally I`d like to see something a bit longer and clearer. If you are setting these great times for real I want to applaud you. Good times can be set with a dpad, no doubt, but as for this possibility...

That would be awesome to see a dpad beat a neGcon. That way you don't have everyone buying neGcon's just to compete with other times.

There are of course some great dpad times and players, but a negcon will always be faster on Wipeouts 1-3 because the steering is more accurate and you have better control over pitch. We take it for granted that people will fly perfect races to get in the top 5 or 10, regardless of controllers, but there are things you can do to go faster with a Negcon that you cannot do as well with a dpad. It`s just an unalterable fact caused by the layout of the controllers. This has been proved over about ten years of obsessive wipeout play by the world`s best players and even those who don`t like it accept it.

Anyway thanks for the video, I would like something clearer and longer, for me, but I`m not the race times police and it`s your decision :)

Tomahawk
26th June 2009, 09:11 AM
I've watched the video more than 20 times now. One thing that I think can be seen is that there's no unlimited shield/hyperthrust used because the shield energy bar goes down during the race. It's a perfect lap and there are no shortcuts used (at least the part of the lap which is shown in the video) but not the whole lap is recorded. The lap starts after the first corner, ends a little bit in front of the finishing line and the duration is 22 seconds on youtube so there's only another second that can be calculated for the last few meters to the finish line and passing the first corner of the track to sum up to your stated time of 23.07 seconds for that particular lap. I'll have a look at your rapidshare video which hopefully is a better quality than this one before I make a comment whether I can believe that time or not.

As already stated by the other members, please do not take our inquiries personal. It's just that all of us have spent countless hours playing the old wipeout games and setting the top times in the records tables. I myself have flown countless laps on my favourite Wip3out track Stanza Inter and was hardly able to get close Al's or Arnaud's top times so I know how f***ing hard it is to reach the top of the tables in the old games. There was much blood, sweat and sleepless nights involved for everyone who is in the top 5 of the records tables, so we ask for proof if someone we don't know and has not proven his skills before steps up and claims the top time in the top speed class by beating a proven time by almost a full second.

One thing that makes me feel a bit itchy though is the record you enterd into the W3O NTSC tables, though. You were always talking about a 23.57 and your new record, a 23.07 on Stanza Inter, but you've entered a 23.14 into the tables. How come we have never heard of that particular time before?
I will not delete any of your records because for me there is no proof of cheating. But there is also no real proof of your times having been done without cheating too. As I've stated above I'll have a look at your rapidshare video first before I'll comment on this matter again.

WolfKill01
27th June 2009, 12:03 AM
Again, I apologize for the HORRIBLE quality of the video.

Lunar: I do intend to post clearer more readable videos. I can also assure you that i do not own a negcon. All my times have been done with d-pad. I posted a picture of my controller with this message as proof even though it's probably not enough. Also, I posted another video right after I posted the gameplay video. It's video of me confirming the time at the end of the race.

Tomahawk: I can ASSURE you that the times are not fakes, nor did I cheat in any of them. And like I mentioned before, I WILL post better vids in the future. As for the time of 23.14, that was my latest time before 23.07. I only mentioned 23.57 in the video description because I completely forgot I posted 23.14 on the tables and didn't want to complicate things with another new timem, so I went with the original 23.57. Sorry for the confusion.

And this is to everyone: I am not taking any of this personally. I can perfectly understand why you would be skeptical of these times and I can also understand why you want to keep your record tables clean and fair. I will post better videos as proof of my times because(like anyone else) I can't help but feel threatened by some of the doubt some of you may have towards my times. No hard feelings.

This is a link to the rapid share file: http://rapidshare.com/files/249048774/SI_lap_record__23.07_.3g2.html

I was having trouble with the video earlier but I think I fixed it. Please tell me if it doesn't work.

JABBERJAW
27th June 2009, 01:10 AM
Just to reiterate, noone is saying you did not get those times, and we don't need a picture of a ps1 controller to prove you used that. We all know how hard wipeout 3 is with a dpad, due to pitch issues. the times you got on stanza are certainly achieveable, and probably lower as well, but if you put up a video, it needs to show the start of the lap, the end of the lap, the entire race (records don't count if the race isn't completed), and the times shown on the screen at the end of the race without the camera coming off(I use zoom on my camera at the end without moving the camera.) I saw the energy bar coming down (I think) during that race, but seeing the times would be better, as well as seeing the color of the speed up pads. We have had issues before with fake times in wipeout 3, and it really sucked, and I wasted alot of time trying to get new times. If you send me a pm, I could send you some wires that could allow you to record your races quite easily, and have no lag as well.

Tomahawk
27th June 2009, 12:49 PM
Wolfkill, no need to assure me that your times have been achieved without cheating. For me nobody is guilty of cheating until definitive proof of that has been given. I applaud your skills (:clap <- there you go :)) and recognize your times as being valid for now. By providing some video footage almost immediately after you have been asked for it, even if it is a very bad quality, you have done more than most of the real cheaters who have been revealed in the past few years. I may give you the advise to try and bring on some better quality video footage of your wipeout skills in the near future, not only for proof, but also for acknowledgement by the other top pilots who are roaming these forums. You also might do this because the next time some Wipeoutzone member does something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah1wD3r_99I) your videos might be part of it like Mano's great times with Wipeout 2097 were in this. Maybe you want to take JABBERJAW's offer and let him lend you some stuff for easy and high quality recording.

JABBERJAW
27th June 2009, 11:37 PM
tomohawk is right, you certainly piloted that track extremely well. We just want to see the lap time and what I had written before is all. I have an extra set of cables to record well, and play if you like. YOu can have perfect recording video, and racing without lag. It is also nice to have the videos for yourself, and for others who use a dpad to see what you are doing exactly.

SonicChaos
28th June 2009, 06:31 PM
I have an extra set of cables to record well, and play if you like. You can have perfect recording video, and racing without lag.

What are these cables and where can you get them from?

WolfKill01
29th June 2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I've had a hell of a stessful week. But It's all good now. ;)

Thanks for the offer on the chords Al. I'll PM you later about them.

I've been digging through my old desk drawers and found a perfectly good digital camera. I set it up on a book shelf across from my tv and pointed it at the screen. The quality was actually far better then I expected. You can actually read the numbers now! :o
I did a race on terminal this time around. Please read the description before watching. I'll upload it to rapid share later. ;)

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBNImQPn58

lunar
29th June 2009, 08:14 AM
sorry you had a stressful week and if I contributed to that, but rest-assured that if anyone new comes along and beats your records we will give them a hard time too ;)

That last video is great :+ It`s perfectly clear to view. Although you didn`t beat your record I`m sure if you can do that 23.44 you could also do a 23.10. Some frantic button mashing going on I could hear. :lol The dpad-lovers club will be very proud. ;) Any chance of a Hi Fumi or better quality Stanza? It`s nice to see Wip3out videos anyway, there are not a lot of good gameplay videos around for that game.

anyway I will leave it to the Wip3out experts to say any more. :)

infoxicated
29th June 2009, 09:08 AM
I notice that you didn't use any boost at the start of the third lap, but I suppose you'd carry too much speed into the spiral if you did and risk a wall clip.

It's a brilliant lap, though - the small adjustment going through the tunnel chicane after the spiral is great. I generally lack the subtlety required to pull off a small tweak like that at phantom speed. :+

SonicChaos
29th June 2009, 01:56 PM
:+:+. Definitely a nice run. You can see everything clearly now. Keep it up.;)

Asayyeah
29th June 2009, 01:59 PM
Definitely a fantastic laptime !
The video quality is great and very clear : thx a lot for sharing this :hyper

WolfKill01
30th June 2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the positive remarks guys. ;)

I'll post more videos in the future. Not just for others to enjoy and possibly learn from, but because I also enjoy making these vids and also because youtube could use some more wipeout 3 vids.

JABBERJAW
1st July 2009, 11:57 AM
Those videos are of good quality I think, and a nice racing line at that. I'll respond to the pm shortly wk, I have been busy with the negcon for ps3.

SonicChaos
1st July 2009, 03:36 PM
Not just for others to enjoy and possibly learn from, but because I also enjoy making these vids and also because youtube could use some more wipeout 3 vids.

Agreed. Hence why I'm thinking of regularly putting vids on there as well. Though I'm no spectacular pilot, I can have people tell me what I'm doing wrong.

WolfKill01
3rd July 2009, 11:39 PM
I got more vids for you guys :o

As requested, I did speed laps on hi-fumii and stanza inter. I'm actually quite pleased with the stanza vid. Please read the descriptions before watching.

Thanks, and enjoy ;)

Satnza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzL5dWGdz1M

Hi-fumii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrltj57mokM

I'll upload them to rapidshare later. By the way, you think i should start a new thread to post my vids on, or just keep 'em here?

Lance
4th July 2009, 03:43 AM
I think it would be better just to keep 'em here.

JABBERJAW
4th July 2009, 01:59 PM
keeping them here is good. those times are impressive. I would like to see you do something, for a really good comparison. you seem to be able to hold you line with a dpad very well. so I was wondering if you could

1) Do a perfect race on stanza inter, and we can do a comparison between the negcon and the dpad times. [I might pull it out later to see if I can do a perfect run, see if under 1:55 is possible. But I would love to see a perfect race comparison of the two on this track. Also, Porta Kora would be a good track for a perfect race as well since it is a little easier.

Nice times

Asayyeah
4th July 2009, 02:52 PM
yeah i agree those are nice times : the 22.80 is pretty impressive if Fury HD is delayed a bit to extreme summer ( meaning autumn) i shall clean the dust from ntsc ps2, my converter , a Neggie and W3O ntsc during my vacation , i haven't entered the ntsc tables yet ( damn we should have a 2nd life :D a Pal one and a Ntsc one ! ) so that could be a good motivation for me to try to beat Al & you.

lunar
4th July 2009, 07:35 PM
Great racing Wolfkill, thanks for making these videos. I don`t think I`ve ever seen Wipeout 3 played that nicely before. :)

Mad-Ice
4th July 2009, 09:52 PM
I will be looking out for more vids. Keep 'em coming Wolf.:hyper

SonicChaos
5th July 2009, 02:04 PM
Indeed. I like the fact that they are on youtube because it brings more exposure and I can favorite it without taking up room on my comp.

JABBERJAW
6th July 2009, 07:41 PM
do you have a video of your new terminal and hi fumii times? Also, I was curious at to what the turning ability of the icarus is in your game. What does it give for a rating for the turn?

WolfKill01
6th July 2009, 08:23 PM
Sorry Al, I didn't get any footage of my new times. The stats of the icaras(according to my game) is: Thrust-13 speed-50 shield-23 handleing-23. Don't quote me exactly on those, the numbers are extremley hard to read on my tv screen. Oh, and kudos to your new times as well. I was able to improve my terminal time, but your stanza time is proving to be difficult to beat. Maybe I'll get a negcon afterall. ;)

SonicChaos
6th July 2009, 08:36 PM
I might end up having to. I also have issues reading things on my TV as well. Stanza Inter is proving difficult because I can't see anything when i go into the tunnel.:brickwall

JABBERJAW
6th July 2009, 09:49 PM
Hey wolf, can you post a picture of that screen with the ship stats on it? I think there might be different versions here, that we did not know of. The screen from in-game stats.

thanks

and yeah, the screen is blurry as hell, try the sharpness on your screen, it might work

SonicChaos
7th July 2009, 04:32 PM
I have a widescreen and the correction has no effect on anything whatsoever. Is the correction supposed to do anything?

WolfKill01
7th July 2009, 11:33 PM
As requested, here's some pics of the stats, my playstaion, the wipeout 3 game case, and the disc. Sorry if any of them are hard to read. Oh, and I have more videos on the way. All I need to do is get them from the video tape to my computer. That shouldn't be too hard. ;)

JABBERJAW
8th July 2009, 12:18 PM
thanks alot. just so you know, those stats say

Just like the rest of them. If you don't look at it just right, it looks like what you wrote before. It's like one of those find the picture in the picture hologram things.

SonicChaos
8th July 2009, 02:06 PM
I always hated those. never did see anything in those.....

WolfKill01
11th July 2009, 02:21 AM
Got two more vids for ya'll. :o

Went for a ride at mega mall and porta kora this time around.

Mega Mall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4_AltFv_Y

Porta Kora: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAnTG8Qgj00

Please read the descriptions before watching. And if you have youtube accounts, please subsribe. Thanks and enjoy. ;)

BTW, I don't remember seeing a rule against it, but are times that use auto pilots valid for the records table?

stin
11th July 2009, 07:38 AM
AP is ok;), but seriously, I`m impressed with your times.

Just stick in and play the rest of the games.:):+

stwevie:)

SonicChaos
11th July 2009, 02:18 PM
I'll get to Phantom eventually. I really don't wanna use the pass if I don't have to.

WolfKill01
11th July 2009, 11:54 PM
Just making sure that AP times are acceptable. Thanks. ;)

SonicChaos, if you can post a video of the tracks and races you're having trouble with, it'd be easier for us to offer some tips to help you improve. Just an idea. What you do is completely up to you.

SonicChaos
13th July 2009, 01:26 PM
Well the only tracks that are giving major issues so far are stanza and the blue tunnel in hi-fumi, but it's mostly because of my bad timing in airbraking. I tend to be either way too early or slightly too late. I'm working on it as those tracks I haven't raced a whole lot. If you really want me to post vids I will though. It's just that I need to race them more to find out when I need to airbrake.

WolfKill01
14th July 2009, 03:01 AM
They always say, "practice makes perfect". It's how I learned so it'll probably work just as well for you. It took me a while to get used to that tunnel on hi-fumii too. I grated my teeth whenever I had to go through it without an auto-pilot. As for stanza, it used to be my worst track(other then p-mar). But once I raced on it a few hundred times(a little exaggeration there), it eventually became one of my best and favorite courses in any wipeout. Just stick with it. You'll get better.

SonicChaos
14th July 2009, 05:36 PM
Yea, I'm trying. and that's only on venom, I haven't even touched rapier yet.

Task
15th July 2009, 04:26 AM
Nice videos! I can see your dedication. Hear it, too! <clickety-clickety-clickety in the background of those videos>

You've definitely got some speed there. I'm not often very good at Phantom, but I totally recognize all your lines and everything. You hit the wall at exactly the places where I hit when I was really trying to push the envelope. Even the way you dodge the pilons at the start line is familiar. It looks very similar to the way I flew W3O many years ago.

Ain't nuthin wrong with a bit of reliance on AP, if you're breaking Phantom records in an Icaras it's sometimes required.

The only thing I could ask from you is this: Get all your times in the record tables! It's always nice to see pilots reap the rewards of their efforts by placing "top 3". I had a quick scan of them and you've actually still got a #1, well done! If Al can't knock you down in a day or two it must be a nice time! 8 )

However, with as much as I recognize your piloting, I think I can come to some conclusions if you're interested:

1) You can go faster. A lot faster.
Really, I can see small errors in your line, and they're at consistent locations. You train yourself a bit and you can overcome.
- Work on your pit line. Make it perfect and you'll speed up. It's pretty sweet for Porto Kora (better than I could ever do!), but I think you're a tad too far to the right for the best Terminal pit entry line.
- Stop aiming those weapons! You get sweet eliminations while you're racing, but you stop focusing on your racing line while you aim those and you invariably wall right after. All weapons are fire-and-forget, don't bother to aim with more than 10% of your concentration. Your main weapon is your speed (play eliminator to work on this if you don't believe me! 8 D), so focus on your line, ignore your crosshairs.

2) Question: How much pitch do you use? I'm not used to watching 3rd person (nice to see it though!) and I can't tell how much pitch you're using. It doesn't look like a lot. You should be using serious pitch on every corner. I imagine you are to be flying smoothly at those speeds, but I can't be sure since I'm not used to 3rd person. If you're not, get right on it. Necessary skill.

3) Practice and the consistency will come.
It looks to me like you're truly zoning the track to get your speed laps. With more practice you'll be able to zone a track sooner in the race and for longer. Eventually you'll be able to hold it for a whole race. It takes some time, but the race record results will be phenomenal.

4) Learn to fly.
That's the last step to true speed. You have to cut the corners, fly over the buildings, skip as much of the track as you can. If you're going this fast without flying, I can almost guarantee record laps and races once you've found your wings.

So that's what I can give back to you in return for the videos. Hopefully it comes across as "sage advice" and not "me talking out my ass". 8 )

Hmm, one last question: I notice you stop in the pit lane a lot. Is that just for your speed lap attempts? Or is it a regular habit?

WolfKill01
16th July 2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all those tips task. Let's take it one step at a time:

It's really hard to keep a consistent line with a d-pad. I mean REALLY HARD. I usually don't try to "aim" my weapons. I aim only when I need someone out of my way who might cause a problem later. And I'll admit I really need to work on those pit lines.

It may not look it, but I use quite a bit of pitch in my races. Well, as much as I can use with a d-pad.

I don't usually worry about consistensy since I've never really worried about race times. Though, it is something I would like to get better at. I'll try focusing on it more.

Cutting corners is near impossible. There are a few I have found, and I'm sure there are more I haven't found. Though I have done quite a bit of investigating, most a the corners I try to cut have an invisible wall I always hit. Even if it looks like I've cleared it.

I definantly would NOT call this "talking out your ass". These are very good tips i'm sure others could use. As for your questions about the pit lanes, I stop in them after a lap which i used all my shield/hyperthrust for, or after I take extensive damage in a race. Just running through the pit at high speed isn't enough time to completely restore my shields, and if I'm destroyed in a race the times don't count. It's a just a precaution. Thanks again for all your tips.

Task
16th July 2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I know how tricky that d-pad is, I fly it myself. On WO1 I've been using a bit of black neggie, but that's very recent and I'm not adapted to it yet. But oh is it a sweet thing... Anyway, yeah, I'm already distracting myself. All my records are d-pad based. Moving on!

If you're already using a lot of pitch then it just means that I can't see it very well, probably mostly due to my never playing in 3rd person. 8 )
It took me a long while to get used to cornering with the d-pad and pitching hard in every one, but by having the "right" kind of d-pad and using the corners instead of the "just right" or "just left" portions of the d-pad I was able to gain a lot of benefit. If you're already doing that (sounds like you are) then there's nothing I can teach you in this area. Just wanted to make sure you had it down, since pitch is so critical.

Once you can do a speed lap, the next hurdle is doing a couple of them in a row and getting a hot race time. That's your next destination if you're gonna ride this train. 8 )

To cut track, you have to leave the track. One of the best examples of this is on Porto Kora. If you go right off the ramp while hyperthrusting you can take the whole corner off and land on the downhill into the tunnel. No joking, it's quite a flight. There's many discussions hereabouts about flight paths (check the Arena particularly, there was a sub-minute Porto Kora challenge that I remember quite well) and there are excellent demonstrative videos online. Look for zargz's videos (I believe they're on YouTube), he's crazy good at that PK cut.

Going slowly through the pit is definitely a necessary survival skill in that Icaras, but I think once you start working on fast race time records you might find that fine hyperthrust management (tap, tap, short hold, tap: that would be a lot of hyperthrust for me on a lap) will give you a faster race than speed laps and long pits.

So it's all about what direction you want to move in.
You can continue your pursuit of the fabled hot lap, there's lots to be earned there, and it'll be really easy if you look in the right places.
But I'd say that the real challenge is in the race times. It's the next step up in my opinion.

Oh, here's another piece of advice: Configure your game!
In the options you can set the default name for Player1 and Player2, so you don't have to manually enter your name each time. It was a little painful watching you scroll through all the letters to get your score in when I'm so used to just hitting x a bunch of times and it's done. After you've broken records enough times you'll be hating the letter crawl. 8 P

Hope that helps!

Lance
16th July 2009, 02:43 PM
I remember that sub-minute challenge on PK, the one where I ended up seven dinky little hundredths of a second over one minute. However, I cut nothing. I wonder how much flying over the corner would help, assuming I could actually do it.

Task
16th July 2009, 10:25 PM
At least a tenth of a second would be my guess. 8 )

Lance
16th July 2009, 11:41 PM
That would not catch Al. ;)

SonicChaos
17th July 2009, 07:25 PM
Catch Al, that's actually possible?:eek

Lance
17th July 2009, 07:40 PM
Not for me. :)

Task
17th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Catch Al, that's actually possible?:eek
That's what the thread's about.

SonicChaos
19th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Indeed. I am trying to perfect some of my lines and hopefully get closer to Al's time.

WolfKill01
21st July 2009, 02:25 AM
Guess what guys...it's movie time!! :o

I brought a mixed bag this time around. I decided to try my hand at a perfect TT on porto kora, and I have a new record speed lap for sampa.

Porto TT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHh5A3pHMc

Sampa Speed Lap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5OI5r8lgIs

Thanks for all the tips task. I'm working on that porto short cut. As for the game configuring. I'm just usually too lazy to go to the game options and typing in my name. I'll try to remember to do that from now on.

I won't be around to read any comments or questions any of you might have till friday. I'm off to a leadership camp (a.k.a boot camp for JROTC) at North Georgia State College. I haven't done ANYTHING this summer. I'm so out of shape. :frown:

SonicChaos
21st July 2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't done much either. I'm to used to HD and keep yelling at the screen telling you to do BR's.

WolfKill01
4th August 2009, 01:18 AM
My mega mall and sampa run times are still intact!! :eek Usually Al would've blown past them by now. Guess he's just been busy. Oh well, don't see why I'm complaining. This just means I get to enjoy that sweet, sweet, taste of first place...for, at least, a little longer. :o

SonicChaos
4th August 2009, 03:07 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts and try to improve if at all possible so that way it'll be that much harder to topple it.

WolfKill01
6th August 2009, 11:56 PM
That's gonna be extremely difficult to do after that large absence of wipeout these past few weeks. It's gonna take FOREVER for me to regain all those racing lines. But I am going to try to improve those times.

WolfKill01
12th September 2009, 08:43 PM
It took me long enough but here's p-mar and manortop. I didn't post them because the times were good. Frankly, they're not all that great. I posted these vids for some of you more experienced peoples to tell me how to improve on these specific tracks. Anything will help. Though I would like to see a video demonstraiting any short cuts or clever tricks I'm not aware of. Thanks and enjoy. :beer

P-Mar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_GaTkGy3I

Manortop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQ9pmlu1aw

rdmx
13th September 2009, 01:36 AM
Hey, look what I stumbled across while surfing youtube.
These aren't my videos but they are pretty damn neat. I think also these are all NTSC-A.

Terminal Time Trial Phantom (this beats Al by 4 seconds :eek)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgQaGSz3GVk
There's some more in the related videos.

Task
13th September 2009, 04:32 AM
That's a pretty good Terminal run.
There's still a bit of room for improvement, but not much.
You can really see the consistency he's bringing to those laps, beautiful.

Anyway, Jacob, about your speed runs...

P-Mar: You've got a good line to start with, you just need more practice here, and you're holding weapons way too long. I could never do that pit without an Autopilot in the Icaras, it always messed up my line. You don't need hyperthrust on this track though, so you can skip the pit and still go pretty fast. There's a shortcut off the big jump landing in the pit, but it's not really landable. Would likely make for a great speedlap though if you can land it at the finish line. 8 )

Manortop: Ah, the pilot's choice! You've got the main shortcut down pat, but there's another one on the other big jump (after the 90s). Go through the window on the right instead of into the tunnel on the left. This track takes serious hyperthrust. Looks like you've mostly got this track though.

stin
13th September 2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah, Albino-ace is using D-pad.:robot

I gotta admit, he is pretty good at that!

stevie:)

Lance
13th September 2009, 05:35 PM
Terminal Time Trial Phantom (this beats Al by 4 seconds :eek)

:eek x 10
Seems impossible at first glance.
And maybe second glance as well. :eek

ACE-FLO
13th September 2009, 07:09 PM
Ok, I'm starting to schitt myself a little. Last night over PM, Albino Ace and I were trying to organize some online races on Pulse. We may get the oppo to race this week!

But after reading about his dpad skills - all I can say is, I gotta start practicing... hard!

WOW, I'm nervous! dammit!

[calm down Ace-Flo, iz only a game!]

WolfKill01
14th September 2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the tips, task. Albino Ace's time trials look really good. He's using d-pad too, correct? Looks like I got quite a bit to work on if I'm going to beat him. ;)

ACE-FLO
14th September 2009, 02:02 AM
:D we're in the same boat!

WolfKill01
18th September 2009, 10:33 PM
Dude, no kiddin' :lol

JABBERJAW
19th September 2009, 02:10 AM
The terminal is definitely his best run for sure, he has some other good times as well. A perfect race is needed to beat that time, no hits with icarus

Chill
20th September 2009, 11:26 AM
Good job Wolf! Well, I'm not even sure if I've posted any of Wipeout 3 times before, but I find these videos are very similar to my own skill... Considering I've been playing Wipeout 3 with the D-pad for pretty much ever, until I picked a few neggies up after I joined the Air Force... Yet still hadn't been able to concentrate on it as much as if I were back in school...

Anyway, I'm gonna have to start Competing in this NTSC Wipout 3 d-pad thing when my House Hold Goods shipment that has all my games and systems and such arrive in the U.K. then... Still won't have as much time due to deployments... :/

You can't fly in NTSC Task... ;)

WolfKill01
20th September 2009, 10:01 PM
Here's a perfect TT vid I did after seeing Albino Ace's. It doesn't beat his time, however, it does beat Al's. My consistency is getting better, I think. Read the description, rate, comment, and enjoy.

Terminal Perfect TT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swGDYINJIAo

@ Chill: Good luck with entering this apparent "d-pad frenzy". Oh, and best of luck with the move to the UK as well. :beer

Lance
20th September 2009, 10:08 PM
You can do better; you missed about 4 or 5 boostpads on the last lap.

Chill
21st September 2009, 10:44 AM
That was a lot better than the last one though! :D Very nice, but I would think to beat Al would be better than that... :/

Task
22nd September 2009, 06:27 AM
That's a nice line you're developing there Jacob.
You can improve your time up the corkscrew, but you've got the rest of the track really nicely nailed. You're quite close to the perfect consistency required to maintain Terminal Velocity. 8 )

Why isn't this time posted? You've got the 2nd place with that run, you should put in on the boards! Take a screenshot, you'll want photographic evidence of Al having ever been in 3rd place on a WO3 track. 8 D

Also: Nick! Post your lap time!

Chill: No, it doesn't always take inhuman speed to beat Al. There are a lot of tracks, and a lot of modes. When he's already beating everyone by more than 10 seconds, he doesn't worry about pushing the limits. That's why he loves the competition so much, it shows him which tracks he's weakest at and gives him a better time to beat. 8 )

I'm sure as soon as he gets a chance he'll be working on beating a 2-minute race time. If he posts a video of _that_, then you'll get to see the smooth oiled perfection of 20 years flight experience. It'll give you chills.

WolfKill01
7th October 2009, 01:32 AM
I posted the time a while ago. Not sure if Al's done anything yet. Too busy to check for myself. But more importantly, I would love to see some videos demonstrating mr. sartwell's superior racing abilities. ;)

Chill
13th October 2009, 11:58 AM
Well, I've been playing Wipeout, and I guess my memory proved me wrong... guess I'm not such a hot-shot at it that I remembered!! LOL!!! :D It was a great realization non-the-less...

WolfKill01
24th January 2010, 11:44 PM
Could've sworn I posted a link to this vid...hm, guess not. Anywho, here's a link to my latest vid if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QljpsxDcZR4

It's just a casual race on sampa. Not really for time, just for fun. I think it'll be a long while before I post any newer wo3 vids, too. I've been pre-occupied with pulse and pure so I'm rubbish at wo3 for the moment :? . But I might practice up and post some more vids of me chasing down mr. sartwell in the next few months. Here's hoping ;)

Oh, and remember to comment, subscribe, rate, etc., etc. :o

andy
25th January 2010, 02:26 PM
Wow nice run haha. Sampa Run is my favourite track, I think my best on there is 30:32, so 28 on a casual race is fantastic. I use the dpad too. =]