PDA

View Full Version : osx pilot view perfect flight

os9osx
1st April 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, I thought you might like to see my perfect flight video for Talons Reach
It doesn't beat the time of the video in the downloads section but it uses my preferred pilots view. Are there others who prefer that view?
Also, I couldn't get my joystick working for it so I used the computer keyboard.

Me and my friend wrote the music for it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZjNGCgiQ0

stin
1st April 2009, 07:35 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Talons Reach....eerrmm...Zone!:paperbag

Nice video and this is the real deal! and here is the link!;)

This link is from Assayeah! and he is also a member here too. (Be nice to him;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbjOxsA0g&feature=channel_page

stevie:D

Lance
1st April 2009, 11:36 PM
Hi, os9, welcome to the WZ. So you were using the computer version rather than the console version? Not to jump on you, but if you decide to enter your times in our records section, this is just to let you know if you've not already read the record entry pages that only the console versions of the game can be used for posting your time records, with the disc and the unmodified console both from the same region.

Lion
2nd April 2009, 09:17 AM
you did that with a KEYBOARD!?
jesus, good effort man

G'Kyl
2nd April 2009, 01:57 PM
Keyboard controls are quite comfortable, actually. I started out playing WipEout on PC and it works pretty well! Maybe it's because I grew up playing PC games, but there's something about directional keys over any d-pad...

Btw: Welcome, os9osx. :)

Ben

Mad-Ice
2nd April 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi and welcome! Very sweet flight. Big thumbs up and with keyboard! You rock.

os9osx
3rd April 2009, 10:18 AM
thanks for the welcome,

WOW! Assayeah's has become my new target :robot

I just got 3 perfect laps in a race game so I imagine I'll eventually do 5 ... but not until I finish my dissertation :frown: .. must ... stop ...playing
his top speed is much higher than is possible on a mac and it appears that on his platform you don't lose any speed if you fly high over that first righthand hill - so it's a bit easier :p:p (or is it harder going faster??)

anyway, good fun and nice to meet you all

os9os x

JABBERJAW
3rd April 2009, 11:36 PM
The mac version is most likely comparable to the psx ntsc version, not the one arnaud played. the one arnaud played is actually the slower game timewise (despite the speed gauge saying it is faster). You need to pick up a ps1 and get some times in the records tables. I would like to send you a pm about how to get this thing running on my mac mini (it has classic support). At the current time it is starting to load, then going back to the main computer screen. What ship are you using there? and what is the top speed you are hitting?

Actually, I just watched it again, and the speed looks like the pal version (speedometer), however, this game was taken from the pc version, which played like the ntsc version, maybe this is a mix of the two somehow, and it looks like it might be faster than both in terms of time.

Here is a suggestion

first: Try tapping your brake quickly when you go over a speed pad, this should give you a much faster boost by 10kph or so if done correctly

second: after you have tested out the first thing for a while, start over, and when your ship hits 344 mph TAP YOUR BRAKES, LEFT THEN RIGHT rythmically until you hit around 410 and see if you get to that speed faster than without it. do not hold the brake down, but the quick tap. This takes some practice to get it right. I'd love to see the results of this, and it seems this may be an incredibly fast version of 2097 if you can use the correct controller for it.

os9osx
7th April 2009, 09:11 AM
thanks for the tips, looking at my video the highest speed I obtained before was 404kph (bear in mind they were all slow laptimes in that game (only 1 15.1))... still trying to learn this tapping thing but I think I've seen 409 and 411kph flash up and my best first lap time has been reduced from 16.2 to 15.9 seconds.

my previous best lap time of 14.7 was gained quite a while ago and I'm not sure what has changed in my technique recently that never sees me beat 14.9 - I think I adjusted my line for safety while trying to get 5 in a row..... maybe then there is a possibility to get 14.6 with this tapping
I've found three or four places that allow me to tap without crashing - is that about right or should I be able to do it all the time?
Just to clear up something, would you suggest tapping left and right brakes together ever, or always separately?

This advanced :eek alternate tapping at 344kph!!! is that as you go over a speed bump or just whenever you get to that speed? and what if it's higher?

so, for your mac mini ... this version works in OSX not classic and you don't need to do anything, it just works (apart from the joystick bit ... from this readme it says the HID.bundle may be missing, I'll look into it .... nope I see it in the folder .... my joystick is a cheap crappy one but I can it to work on a mac using max/msp so I don't know ....))

once I've finished my degree I can borrow a ps1 and see what I can do ;)

WipeOut 2097
Macintosh Edition, Version 1.1
March 28, 2002

Published by Virtual Programming Ltd
Original development by Psygnosis
Originally published by SONY

System Requirements
Plays on iMacs (revision B or later), G3s (blue and white desktops or later), or G4s.
MacOS 9.0 or later
333 MHz or faster
64 MB memory (96 MB recommended)
Open GL 3D Hardware Acceleration Required (Rage Pro, Rage 128 or better)
OpenGL 1.2 or later
DrawSprocket 1.7.6 or later
InputSprocket 1.7.3 or later
NetSprocket 1.7.1 or later
QuickTime 4.0 or later
CarbonLib 1.5 or later (Could work on earlier versions, but hasn't be tested).

Installation
No special installation is required. If you need any of the above software, visit the Apple web sites for these products.

http://www.vpltd.com

Performance Tips
Here are a few things you can try to make the game play faster and smoother:

• Try selecting a lower frame rate.
• Set the game resolution to a smaller size.
• Quit all other open applications.
• Restart your Mac with only necessary extensions (Mac OS base extensions, QuickTime, Draw & Input Sprockets, OpenGL), using the Extensions Manager control panel.
• During network games disconnect all mounted volumes.

Bugs Fixed

• Fully Carbonized.
• Inbuilt screen shot mechanism now works at all resolutions.
• When users had multiple monitors, the game works correctly.
• Performace and Graphical fixes. Now faster than before.
• Fixed random crash which sometimes happened at startup.

Credits
MacOS Programming by Coderus Ltd
Special thanks to: Paul Lesurf and Mark Hinton
Thanks also to Erik Lindahl for the WipeOut icon!

For more information on forthcoming games from Virtual Programming ltd, please visit www.vpltd.com

[The End]

Asayyeah
7th April 2009, 11:01 AM
This is truly a great video from a Mac version of 2097/XL, Al (Jabberjaw) mentionned it to me this weekend through msn, i am glad someone mastered it with a joystick ! great performance from you os9ocx :+
The braking technique allows you to get extra speed but it's pretty hard to maintain that speed constantly( especially on that 1st hill after the start).

seems the speedometer is based on the one from XL ( ntsc version ps1), i d like to know if you can shortcut that 1st hill when you turn right : get almost close from the right wall and at thee top of the hill , hit airbrake right ( to get an impulsion to jump easier) and cut to land over the 2 double speedpads.
Al told me that could be the best 2097/XL version : with the fastest speed ( and feeling of speed) and with the 2097 pal floatiness.

Looking forward to see how you can master it on a PS1 :) but that sounds promising ! a new challenger Al !!

JABBERJAW
7th April 2009, 03:14 PM
"seems the speedometer is based on the one from XL"

I'm not sure Arnaud, if you play xl without brake tapping, it doesn't come close to the speeds he is hitting in that video. At the very latest, my mac version will be running by june (with eric's help hopefully). I'll get a wheel/ or negcon to work, and see what the game can do.

Just try tapping the brake on the speed pads once you get the speed up to 400, and see what you can get the speed up to. Very confusing stuff with the versions.

Can you play this online? How many people? Because if you can, you may not see Arnaud or me for a while (years) :)

os9osx
14th April 2009, 11:44 AM
woo!!, so I'm getting better and just clocked a 14.4 lap

you can do the shortcut from the hill and land on the speedpads but you lose a lot of speed when in the air. The speed variations while playing seem very different than in your game Asayyeah.
Maybe I'm not tapping correctly though as I think a lot of my reduced time has to do with a very short jump over the small bump and a new straightish line through the second half of the shicane and into the large right-hand bend .... and other adjustments ... ummm, like tapping ;)

the 1 player mode is the only one available in this version and you can't play online

JABBERJAW
14th April 2009, 04:14 PM
could you check your pm osxos9

os9osx
14th April 2009, 09:49 PM
sorry, missed them, replied