PDA

View Full Version : Something for every WOZ'er over 30 yo!

Frances_Penfold
14th March 2009, 06:34 PM
Website services that contact your online buddies in case you drop dead! :eek

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090314/ap_on_hi_te/tec_death_online

infoxicated
14th March 2009, 11:17 PM
I remember there was a site that did this a few years back. Given the chance of something going wrong and it inadvertantly sending out an email saying you'd snuffed it I think I'd go with the USB key left for relatives to find instead of employing an online service.

For a time I did have an unpublished blog post that was there all set to be published should the worst happen, but I decided I was tempting fate and got rid of it.

It's a slightly unnerving subject, though - I have a good many online friends whom I've never actually met in real life. I'm not entirely sure how they'd find out about my death if I didn't make prior arrangements.

Lance
15th March 2009, 02:04 AM
Yeah, if I popped the cork on Death, no one would know. Although in view of my advanced age, ... they might accurately guess. :g

blackwiggle
15th March 2009, 02:29 AM
Rather sobering but useful link.

"He died with a controller in his hand,suspected cause of death,unsuccessful Barrel Roll"

Frances_Penfold
15th March 2009, 03:15 AM
Yeah, if I popped the cork on Death, no one would know. Although in view of my advanced age, ... they might accurately guess. :g

I expect that you will outlive me and most other WOZ'ers, Lance :)

That said, proximity of hurricanes to FL may also provide a clue to the cause of your absence from this forum :lol

"Where's Lance? Is he ok?!"

*checks Yahoo weather*

"Everything's cool, his 56k phone line probably just got knocked out"

KIGO1987
15th March 2009, 04:11 PM
Good thread :+

Thats what a few of us thought Lance when you where not here for a while.

Maybe it will be a good idea to leave some sort of simple contact details in the worst case scenario of the event of death.

mdhay
15th March 2009, 05:15 PM
This is a very pessimistic thread, isn't it?

zargz
15th March 2009, 05:27 PM
morbid :bat

mdhay
15th March 2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah,but what if some moron assumes that it means dying in a game?

a few months later:

Mrs Hay, your son has been killed by osama_bin_haydn in a place named "Phyruss Rise". We are sorry for your loss.

This would cause a lot of problems.

subtotal
15th March 2009, 07:33 PM
"He died with a controller in his hand,suspected cause of death,unsuccessful Barrel Roll"

that made me laugh,
it is a stressful game though, better get my blood pressure checked

Lance
15th March 2009, 11:59 PM
"Everything's cool, his 56k phone line probably just got knocked out"

Or I couldn't pay the bill. But currently I'm on wireless broadband. My neighbor added me to his local network whose router connects to net by cable. But the signal is weak in my house and often disconnects. His air-handler [on the central air-conditioner] blocks the signal 'cos it's right between me and where the transmitter needs to be in their house. Fastest download I've had ran about 500 kilobYTEs per second averaged, but usually shows between 50 and 150 during pageloads, but may be actually be faster since the browser seems to constantly recalculate averages speed from 0 at the start to the end, and that includes delays waiting for the pageserver to respond. When the wireless is working, it's great; when it ain't, it ain't.

Darkdrium777
16th March 2009, 05:25 AM
Gee Lance, you have faster internet than I now :P

IH8YOU
16th March 2009, 12:09 PM
Not to derail this morbid thread here - but about Lance's internet woes...

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

They work, put one on the router and aim it towards your computer (most routers have detachable antennas) - did it for my ex girlfriend back when she was in college, and shared her wifi over 500 feet away.

Lance, in my defense, I tried to PM this to you - but your box was full.

As for the death bit - I'm actually going to forward this to all my friends. :lol We're just a bunch of 30+ year old children anyhow. :brickwall

Lance
16th March 2009, 03:02 PM
The router is in the house of my neighbors, and there is no way that the lady of the house is going to have anything that crude lying about. Thanks for the attempt to solve the problem, though.

Hmm.. yes, I do need to clear out that PM box when it's not outweighed too much on the priorities list. Right now I've either got too much other stuff to do, or I've got into something that makes me forget all about it. sigh.

eLhabib
16th March 2009, 04:07 PM
do you keep PMs (for nostalgic value...)? Other than that, it's just select all delete all... ;)

Lance
16th March 2009, 08:30 PM
I keep them as a record of questions and answers in both directions between a mod and other members. And to remind me of my friends and their doings.

But we seem to be digressing from the topic a little bit.

omega329
16th March 2009, 08:41 PM
The router is in the house of my neighbors, and there is no way that the lady of the house is going to have anything that crude lying about. Thanks for the attempt to solve the problem, though.

<offtopic>
If you've got a spare satellite dish/any parabolic shape, just point it at the router and put your wireless reciever at the focal point. Now that I think about it, the cantenna might actually work for the thing on your end Lance...
</offtopic>

This doesn't really apply to me, but it reminds me of a fiasco on www.hard-light.net when a disgruntled ex-employee of the member "Shade" hacked his account, and convinced the community that shade was dead...

Lance
16th March 2009, 08:46 PM
I don't have Any satellite antenna, much less a spare.

Um.. now about that original unhijacked topic... ;D

blackwiggle
18th March 2009, 09:21 AM
Something for everyone indeed.

http://www.inch.com/~jholland/julie/illie.htm