PDA

View Full Version : Ship Thrust Analysis

Darkdrium777
24th February 2009, 08:48 PM
Hey guys I intercepted this e-mail from a Synchro Logistics supervisor to the management team of the FX-350 racing league, it has pretty interesting data, so read on! :)

===================================
To: FX-350 Racing Committee
Sender: Synchro Logistics Supervision Bureau
Object: Ship Thrust Analysis
Date: February 24th 2206

You will find below test results for thrust performance analysis:

Goteki45 - Thrust 10: 3.58s - 3.61s - 3.56s; avg 3.58s
AG-Systems - Thrust 9: 3.60s - 3.64s - 3.64s; avg 3.63s
EG-X - Thrust 9: 3.68s - 3.66s - 3.70s; avg 3.68s
Assegai - Thrust 8: 3.76s - 3.78s - 3.81s; avg 3.78s
Mirage - Thrust 8: 3.76s - 3.76s - 3.82s; avg 3.78s
Icaras - Thrust 7: 3.82s - 3.80s - 3.86s ; avg 3.83s
Piranha - Thrust 6: 3.83s - 3.80s - 3.88s; avg 3.84s
Qirex - Thrust 7: 3.84s - 3.91s - 3.80s; avg 3.85s
Feisar - Thrust 8: 3.88s - 3.88s - 3.85s; avg 3.87s
Auricom - Thrust 7: 3.86s - 3.84s - 3.90s; avg 3.87s
Harimau - Thrust 7: 3.86s - 3.92s - 3.92s; avg 3.90s
Triakis - Thrust 6: 4.03s - 3.98s - 4.07s; avg 4.03s

All tests were performed indoors on a flat section of track under the supervision of a Synchro Logistics® agent and with an approved Synchro Logistics® stop-watch.

The test consisted of an acceleration performance measurement from the speed of 0km/h to the speed of 780km/h. The test was repeated three times for each team, thus resulting in an average time for the duration of the acceleration.

Please note that these test results are also influenced by ship top speed. Ships that have a lower top speed than others will have more difficulty reaching the average top speed we have set as a parameter for this test (780km/h). This fact explains that ships with sometimes higher thrust will have less performance in this test because of the lower top speed.

No pre-ionised fuel injectors were used during these tests, in order to strictly measure the ship's own ability to reach the set speed.

Further study of ship behaviour during cornering will be required to assess each team's performance more accurately.

Tests sponsored by Synchro Logistics®, Official Timings™ of the FX-350 Racing League.
Thanks to the Anulpha Pass® Track Management team for providing us with a testing ground.

End Message.

Pretty interesting stuff! As he said, this test remains inconclusive because they are performed on a flat section, only one parameter is tested, but this parameter is influenced by other characteristics of each ship.
Unfortunately it will remain pretty hard to assess ship performance because multiple factors can influence test results, such as the pilot's ability and constance, but also the racing line, the airbrake pressure, etc.

Anyways, I hope you liked this bit of info! ;)

Xavier
24th February 2009, 09:17 PM
Good stuff!

(The testers used a stopwatch!? ;) )

TearsToShreds
24th February 2009, 09:21 PM
Very nice work on that analysis. Interesting results. Seems like Triakis and Piranha are quite a bit different, after all.

Darkdrium777
24th February 2009, 09:26 PM
(The testers used a stopwatch!? ;) )I'm sure it's a very special and professional kind of stopwatch, laser tuned and all. ;)

eLhabib
24th February 2009, 10:15 PM
Awesome way of posting this - even if the results are somewhat insignificant... ;)

Amorbis
24th February 2009, 11:07 PM
I didn't realise how much of a difference different thrust made! The results aren't that surprising though, given the top speeds and thrust when combined. It is interesting to see the difference between Assegai and Harimau given thrust is the only thing setting them apart, although the ships do feel different in their own ways apart from thrust.

Darkdrium777
24th February 2009, 11:47 PM
Object: Ship Top-Speed Analysis
Date: February 24th 2206

Following the thrust analysis test results, here are the top speeds observed for every craft.

Icaras - Top Speed 10: 792 km/h
Piranha - Top Speed 10: 792 km/h
Auricom - Top Speed 9: 789 km/h
Triakis - Top Speed 9: 789 km/h
Assegai - Top Speed 8: 786 km/h
EG-X - Top Speed 8: 786 km/h
Harimau - Top Speed 8: 786 km/h
Mirage - Top Speed 8: 786 km/h
Qirex - Top Speed 8: 786 km/h
AG-Systems - Top Speed 7: 784 km/h
Feisar - Top Speed 7: 784 km/h
Goteki45 - Top Speed 7: 784 km/h

These tests were also performed on a flat surface, and the results were obtained once the ship had reached it's visible top speed displayed on the speedometer integrated in the ship's heads up display.

From these results, it appears that the top speed is a fixed value depending on the characteristic of the craft.

We are also happy to report that no more shall the steering apparatuses of the ships break down as quickly as before, due to the fact that pilots do not need to lower the nose of the ship constantly, since during our tests we have noted that such a technique no longer has an effect on the reachable speed of the craft by its own means of propulsion.

Study or cornering and armour durability are required to fully assess craft performance.

Tests sponsored by Synchro Logistics®, Official Timings™ of the FX-350 Racing League.
Thanks to the Anulpha Pass® Track Management team for providing us with a testing ground.

End Message.

I have taken the liberty of making a chart with each results obtained by the Synchro Logistics officials, here it is:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=596&stc=1&d=1235522783

Pilots should keep in mind that handling and shield strength are also factors to be considered in ship choice. This chart does not accurately show which ship is better. ;)

darkfaerytales
24th February 2009, 11:48 PM
WOOWW i've done a similar tets some months ago , at start on speed lap mode, i did start ship with fast start and then when i did can see in the speedometer around 300-350 km/h then i pause, i never got shots but would be nice to get shots as a more test proof

some time ago i did these kind of test in boring moments, then i've discard this practice for more normal playing after

then i will see if i could find again the stats , i've write all on a paper of a notebook

did you know for exemple testing the top speed , i mean " clean speed " without boost or speed up, on a straight line, i use anulpha reverse, pressing hard as possible the accelerator and mantain the ship in the straightest line possible so that it can reach a sure max speed , that afterall the difference beetwen a feisar and an icaras isn't so big, at least in numbers , there are " only " 13/14 km/h of difference in the end , not so big afterall:P

Darkdrium777
24th February 2009, 11:56 PM
Could a moderator please edit the thread title to the title of the first post in this thread, which is: "Ship Analysis Thread".

Thank you :)

And yes darkfaerytales, the test results you mention were just released by the Synchro Logistics Public Relations division. ;)

darkfaerytales
25th February 2009, 12:04 AM
yes , friend, what a timing however! heeheh what a coincidence, you have post the test results just by when i still finish to write my post :lol

ok , friend i just say you at once that i've done the shielding tests as well , and as result also in that field the difference ship by ship ( or better stats by stats ) aren't so big , at least in numbers

i never done an handling test just 'cause i never can't figure how to do one in a practical functional way:rolleyes:

eLhabib
25th February 2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for posting those test results, Darkdrium!
I would very much like to see another acceleration test, but this time only up to a speed of 400km/h - I think the contrast between the ships will be much more visible this way. Maybe you could ask Synchro Logistics® if they have results on that?
Right now, for example, Piranha and Icaras are almost equal in acceleration - I find that hard to believe. I think the initial kickstart (up to 300 or 400) is much stronger on Icaras, which means a lot seeing as you usually don't navigate tight chicanes (where accel counts most) at full speed.

Also, I would very much like to see a chart on the acceleration given to each craft by going over a speed pad. My guess is that crafts with higher accel can reach significantly higher speeds by going over a speed pad than crafts with low accel stats.

darkfaerytales
25th February 2009, 11:15 AM
i've already done that!

try at start to do a shot with hud visible,when the ship had reached the 350/400 km/h this is the way ( but the hardest and less precise, it is almost inpossible to press the pause button in the same moment as you can see the right km/h in the speedometer, every time... )

Eloï
25th February 2009, 11:19 AM
Isn't the max speed stat based on the speed that a ship can reach when he passes on a pad or uses a turbo? I'd like to see the differences on these...

Darkdrium777
25th February 2009, 11:32 AM
I would very much like to see another acceleration test, but this time only up to a speed of 400km/h - I think the contrast between the ships will be much more visible this way.I guess that this is a smarter way to do it yes, as 780km/h is close to the general top speed.

I won't be doing any Synchro Logistics stuff anymore, I think the joke is done :lol

But yes, these tests can reveal some very interesting stuff. :)

I'll see if I can do the speed pad thing as well, but this will be even harder than the 400 km/h one. :blarg

darkfaerytales
25th February 2009, 12:09 PM
eloi the max ( or top ) speed stat is based on the limit of speed a ship is capable to do, which is , without speed pads or turbos for exemple 793 km/h for icaras , and for another exemple 782/783 km/h for feisar ( at the highest class , obviously )

i think when a ship passes on a speed pad have more to do with the thrust capability ( as when use turbo ) than speed... ( if really exist any difference beetwen ship to ship when one pass on a pad)

OBH
25th February 2009, 02:04 PM
Hang on a second -

Piranha - Thrust 6: 3.83s - 3.80s - 3.88s; avg 3.84s
Feisar - Thrust 8: 3.88s - 3.88s - 3.85s; avg 3.87s

Not meaning to be rude here, great job and all, but i dont believe that for a second. Either thats way off, or 780kmh wasnt the greatest speed to stop the clock on. Seems like mid range power.

Darkdrium777
25th February 2009, 02:41 PM
Try it out. I didn't believe it myself, but after doing it 10 times at least for every ship, that's what comes up :o They are close than you might think, according to this test

As I said, this is from the fact that Piranha has a much higher top speed than Feisar, thus allowing it to reach 780km/h much more easily than Feisar. Feisar starts "stalling" at around 775km/h, then the speed ramps up slower. Piranha on the other hand just shoots right passed it, and starts stalling at around 787 km/h.

But I agree, maybe setting the speed to near the top speed isn't a good idea, because of this "stalling" effect.

Sideshow
25th February 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't have the equipment to do this, but I'd like to suggest a different way of measuring acceleration (than using a stopwatch :P) : record a video of you performing your acceleration, from a standing start to top speed. Then use the video to work out at what times you reach 100kph, 200kph, 300kph... etc, and post the lot. aTdHvAaNnKcSe ;)

Darkdrium777
25th February 2009, 03:02 PM
The problem is that ship speed varies too quickly for any capture equipment I possess to register the changes adequately in order to work out the times you mention. I only have a 30FPS camera and a DVR (With severe input lag).

This will not work as during the video editing process I will be unable to decipher the numerals of the speedometer (motion blur).

Any test but the two I already have done are significantly harder to put in place than you might think.

I assure you however, the times were taken as 'tightly' as possible.
The timer started when the X button was pressed, and was stopped when the speed of 780km/h was reached. I have pretty good reflexes (Unreal Tournament player here, and of course WipEout), so I do think that I pressed the stop button at roughly the right time.

Sideshow
25th February 2009, 03:56 PM
Might the speed me more legible in one of the alernate huds?

Mad-Ice
25th February 2009, 06:24 PM
A very cool way of posting all these interesting result! Big thumbs up. I will be looking out for more results. Thanks mate.

rdmx
26th February 2009, 10:15 AM
Somebody called?
http://files.filefront.com/hd+thrust+renderavi/;13369941;/fileinfo.html
I know that the Feisar and goteki hit a speed pad but that was late on, you can compare it yourself :)

darkfaerytales
26th February 2009, 12:37 PM
spectacular! , very spectacular:P

Darkdrium777
26th February 2009, 04:10 PM
That's huge. Bravo :o

You've also found our secret (not so secret) test location! :lol

rdmx
27th February 2009, 04:57 AM
I hope you downloaded it because it's in 1080p :) that small window does it no justice.

Darkdrium777
19th August 2009, 06:38 PM
Object: Ship Top-Speed Analysis
Date: February 19th 2207

With the racing teams using new prototype ships this season comes a new battery of tests and test results. Herein the top speed of each team's newer ship model is analyzed.

Icaras mkII - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Piranha mkII - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Triakis mkII - Top Speed 95: 791 km/h
Auricom mkII - Top Speed 90: 789 km/h
Harimau mkII - Top Speed 90: 789 km/h
Assegai mkII - Top Speed 85 : 788 km/h
EG-X mkII - Top Speed 85: 788 km/h
Mirage mkII - Top Speed 85: 788 km/h
Qirex mkII - Top Speed 85: 788 km/h
Goteki 45 mkII - Top Speed 80: 787 km/h
AG-Systems mkII - Top Speed 80: 786 km/h
Feisar mkII - Top Speed 80: 786 km/h

Test protocol is similar to the one performed last year for the Mark I ship models.
Goteki 45 appears to have the only ship capable of unlocking the engine's potential further than any other ship, as other teams with the same top speed characteristic were unable to reach that last km/h that Goteki 45 was able to display. It is of minor importance though, as pilots in a race tend to follow the lines with the most speed pads, and therefore all the ships surpass their top speed characteristics any way for a good portion of the race.
Please note that actual top speed characteristic is assessed in an actual racing condition, and the theoretical maximum value can differ from 1 or 2 km/h. Under certain conditions during a race, ships may be able to reach this theoretical top speed value (We have seen Icaras mkII reach 793 km/h), though it requires assistance of a speed pad in these cases, the ship slowing down after the boost until this theoretical top speed is attained. Ships are unable to reach the theoretical peak otherwise, except Goteki 45 as explained before.

Attached is the list detailing the top speeds of all the ship models for each team registered for the FX-350 racing league. They are in order of the top speed they are capable of reaching, then in alphabetical order.

Thanks to the Talons Junction® Track Management team for providing us with a testing ground.

Attachement:

Icaras - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Icaras mkII - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Piranha - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Piranha mkII - Top Speed 100: 792 km/h
Triakis mkII - Top Speed 95 : 791 km/h
Auricom - Top Speed 90 : 789 km/h
Auricom mkII - Top Speed 90 : 789 km/h
Harimau mkII - Top Speed 90 : 789 km/h
Triakis - Top Speed 90 : 789 km/h
Assegai mkII - Top Speed 85 : 788 km/h
EG-X mkII - Top Speed 85 : 788 km/h
Mirage mkII - Top Speed 85 : 788 km/h
Qirex mkII - Top Speed 85 : 788 km/h
Goteki 45 mkII - Top Speed 80 : 787 km/h
AG-Systems mkII - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
Assegai - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
EG-X - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
Feisar mkII - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
Harimau - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
Mirage - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
Qirex - Top Speed 80 : 786 km/h
AG-Systems - Top Speed 70 : 784 km/h
Feisar - Top Speed 70 : 784 km/h
Goteki45 - Top Speed 70 : 784 km/h

End Message.

billychanxtr33m
19th August 2009, 10:56 PM
great work on the chart with fury and hd ships!

Aeroracer
20th August 2009, 12:48 AM
nice stats..well done for compiling these ..helps a lot in ship selection:hyper:hyper

DISRUPTOR
20th August 2009, 01:33 AM
I was quite shocked to find out that the difference from the slowest to the fastest ship was so small taking into account the handling of the ships.

Very interesting data.

These were all done whilst playing using a stop watch.

Darkdrium777
20th August 2009, 03:35 AM
helps a lot in ship selection:hyper:hyperThey shouldn't actually... The difference between the ships is so small and rather insignificant.

The only significance of thrust: how fast you accelerate after a crash/hit or from a standstill. Does not matter so much when exiting turns, as often there is a speed pad nearby and it is balanced out as ships with higher thrust have lower top speed and therefore "stall" when accelerating (acceleration "slows down", hard to explain) faster because they reach their lower top speed quicker than the ships with lower thrust and higher top speed. And every ship now looses speed in turns at the same rate (Guessing here, because there was this bug in WipEout PurE and now hopefully it's fixed :p)
Top speed virtually has no importance during races with other opponents. Only significance is time trial/speed lap/similar modes. From testing it also doesn't affect speed pad boosts (Which by the way are cumulative, obviously) or turbo boosts. Every ship receives the same boost.
Shield makes no difference if you're good at managing weapons/pickups (When to shoot, when to absorb) and driving (Not hitting walls/other ships.)
Handling affects how fast and agile the ship is, but every single ship is able to do the turns perfectly well. So if you're a good pilot, you can drive any ship on any track with slight adjustments required.

Then, why choose a specific ship if there is virtually no very significant difference between them?
Well, let me try to be more precise. The differences are not significant in the sense that there is no super ship, or best ship, or whatever. All the ships are balanced, and can perform equally well on the track. The exception to this is in speed lap and time trial modes, where certain ships will make achieving a specific time a little easier due to advantageous characteristics for this particular track. In any other circumstance, like single race or tournament, the advantage these characteristics would provide are negated by the lack of a free turbo each lap and by the presence of weapons and other ships.
However, these differences are still important, for a simple reason: the feeling. Every ship has a different feeling when driving, some will be more agile and quick off the start, while others will be more heavy and slower off the start, or a combination. And this is important because you must choose the ship you like the feeling of the most.

For example, I am currently using Goteki 45 as my ship, for these two characteristics:
Goteki 45 is fast of the start line and after crashes/weapons. It is the fastest in this area. While AG-Systems Mark II (Fury) comes very close, and admittedly I could switch to it, I don't for this other reason (following).
Goteki 45 has lower handling. Yes, it's an advantage, at least for me. Let me explain. Ships with better handling tend to be more jumpy, agile. Steer a little too much and you go into complete over-steer and crash into walls or if you're better as a pilot, wobble along the track because you're constantly airbraking left and right or adjusting your steering. With Goteki on the other hand, in long turns like Chengou Reverse's replacement to the sloped turn, or Amphiseum, etc. Not much airbraking is required, though pressing the D-Pad constantly is. It allows for a more stable trajectory through the turns and in general.
Of course this only applies to me. ;)

darkfaerytales
20th August 2009, 12:03 PM
wow :+ i'm impressed friend...really impressed, could't make a better analysis