PDA

View Full Version : my inner self in logo form

eLhabib
26th January 2009, 05:09 PM
This is pretty random I guess, but I felt like sharing it with you, especially since there are obviously many people interested in graphic design here on wipEoutZone.

Next to my job as a junior AD of a small amusement company, I am now slowly starting my collaboration with my dear friend and cousin, focussing on logo designs, corporate identities and illustration. Now, we were looking for a name for this collaboration, and since my first name is Martin, and his is Markus, we came up with the idea of calling it tin/kus.
Over the last week we've been brainstorming what our own logo and identity could look like, and since we have very different approaches to graphic design, we decided to split our logo in 2 and give each part our own personality, merging them together like the two different styles we have.

Long story short, while his kus part will be very inky and trashy (because that's what he's good at), my tin part looks something like this (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/logotest.jpg).
Started as a sketch on paper last thursday, and that's what it has arrived to. This is work in progress so far, but I felt like showing it to you, because I'm quite fond of it right now ;)

Just throw your thoughts at me if you feel like it :pc

stin
26th January 2009, 05:17 PM
That design is pretty tidy. See the "N", is it similar to MC. Escher?

PS, is any chance to put S at the front of the T ? ;)

stevie:)

eLhabib
26th January 2009, 05:26 PM
LOL Stevie! Yeah, the whole logo is plastered with perspective tricks if you look at it (check out the t for example...), and yeah I love Escher :D

Mad-Ice
26th January 2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Martin, I think the name: 'tin/kus' doesn't let you immediately think about graphic design. If I may go further and rearrange the names backwards you get: 'kus/tin' which sound a little bit like: 'custom' add: 'graphics' and you get:

Custom Graphics.

But I always liked the name: 'FineDesign'

About your logo: I like the way my attention gets drawn to the 'N' because I get an inner conflict that I want the 'N' to be normal without the twist. This makes me remember the logo better. Nice work!

If you are going for Tin/Kus anyhow, maybe this something which you can use:

Tin
Tin is a white metal element with the symbol Sn. It occurs commonly in the ore cassiterite, which is found in Malaysia, Indonesia, Bolivia, Zaire, Nigeria and Cornwall. Tin is often used to plate iron to protect it from rusting.
Found on http://fas.org/news/reference/probert/AB

Kus
`This article is about the musical instrument. For the Mesopotamian god see Kus A `Kus` is a large-sized ancient Persian kettledrum, similar to a Timpani.
Found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kus

yeldar2097
26th January 2009, 06:01 PM
love it! i wish i could come up with stuff like that. nice work!

swift killer
26th January 2009, 06:09 PM
Nice design :)

+rep

lunar
26th January 2009, 07:15 PM
I love the colour combination, the "t" and the "i" are just right, but the perspective on the "n" doesn`t seem quite right. I know that`s sort of the idea ;) but I think the "n" should match the perspective of the "t" perhaps, or maybe it introduces one too many types of perspective and stops the whole thinging fitting together perfectly. But I do like the way the "n" sits back to allow room for "graphic design".

eLhabib
26th January 2009, 07:20 PM
Haha Matthijs, yes, Markus and I had that tin/kus-kus/tin-discussion over and over again ;) I think that kus/tin has a better sound to it, too, but he finds that it sounds too much like kustom, which is actually a brand. Also, he didn't wanna come in first ;)

Anyway big thanks for your input, I knew about tin (the material) and heard about Kus (the drum) before - done some research also :D But we didn't wanna tie it to a pictogram, just stick to the logotype.

Stephen: I'm surprised noone seemed to notice the perspective trick on the ti yet... it's not just the n that's 'wrong', you know? ;) Also, the top cube of the i and the n are lying in one line with the t's arm, creating a t'' - which is a hidden reference to you'll-never-guess-what :eek

Nadia Elenova
27th January 2009, 08:07 AM
Beautiful, it goes right to the point and is easy to remember, very effective design.

chaos80
27th January 2009, 10:11 AM
Like the coulours, and the contrast between them. Looks kinda wipeout-ish, if I dare say so. :)

BulletWraith
27th January 2009, 11:11 AM
I really like the idea eLhabib, it's coming along really nicely, it's great to know their are others that are interested in Design around here,
then again one should presume at least some of the people who appreciate wipEout are also the type of people who appreciate design

keep us updated, it'd be nice to see a progression of the design:+
-Stevie

eLhabib
27th January 2009, 05:46 PM
Progress update: Markus has been busy working on his part also, and today we started to combine them into one, marrying two very different styles. His plain black logo kinda clamps around mine, and I made mine bleed some color into his in return - take a look. (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/logotest2.jpg)

Note that this has all been done purely in Illustrator - yes, these are all vectors!

For those interested, here (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/sketch.jpg)'s my original hand-drawn sketch for my part of the logo, which served as the starting point about a week ago.

Lance
27th January 2009, 06:09 PM
My first impulse would have been: MARMART

[my subconscious was thinking mart [as in market], art, merchandising art, Martin and Martin]

Harvai
28th January 2009, 08:16 AM
This is looking really good, that logo is really something. tin/kus doesn't automatically make you think about graphic design, so it'll add an air

And Lance - thats some good thinking there

eLhabib
28th January 2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah, Lance, the problem is there already is another graphics design studio in Austria calling themselves marmar :brickwall
Plus, one of my nicknames has been tin for quite some time, so that's okay with me ;)

Mad-Ice
28th January 2009, 11:04 AM
That merged logo with two styles is really awesome! I also like the organic style of Markus.

At Martin: I think I like the lines and perspective from the original sketch better than the lines and perspective of the finished logo. It is more consistent in shape.

eLhabib
28th January 2009, 12:42 PM
Haha Matthijs, somehow I had a feeling you were going to say that! I know what you mean - the original sketch has a different flow to it, but what you don't see is that the perspective in the sketch is actually totally wrong ;) which was unacceptable to me - plus, I like the blocky style of the finished logotype, the initial sketch seems a bit futuro-esoteric to me by comparison :D
Appreciate your input!

eLhabib
29th January 2009, 02:24 PM
Update: done (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/tinkusFULL.jpg) and done (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/tinkusSW.jpg)! I'm happy :D

Lance
29th January 2009, 07:10 PM
That looks pretty cool. Very distinctive and eye-catching.

stin
29th January 2009, 07:25 PM
El, That is really cool!, you should be proud of yourself!

I`m right into black and white stuff even in photos too.

stevie:)

Darkdrium777
29th January 2009, 07:44 PM
I prefer the BW version for some reason. :s

Mad-Ice
30th January 2009, 01:46 PM
OeWhaa! Yes, the black and white one is fingerlicking good! It's funny that the black line between the right upper end of the 'T' and the dot of the 'I' and the left upper side of the 'I' together form the letter 'M' of Martin and Markus. ;)

In the way the two logo's are merged: I read that you Martin are the leader of the two, (is this true?) because your side of the logo is overlapping the one from Markus. I would like to see some branches of Markus's logo twisting through yours.

Greetz Mad-Ice

eLhabib
30th January 2009, 02:33 PM
Haha yes, I am the leader, so to say ;) We did have a version with some branches going in front of the tin, but it just didn't look right. And yeah, I like the b&w version as well!

Thanks for your posts everyone :)

Lance
30th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Since I'm the contrarian of this lot, as usual :g , I like the colour version better. :D

slimjim
1st February 2009, 12:25 PM
I like the colored version
good design too wish i could design things

Medusa
4th February 2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I know I'm slow...but nice work, anyway! I like both versions but colour is what drives art (even in b&w design, because we are struck by colour's absence...).

The only thing I notice though, is that in the colour version, the brightness of white in the i doesn't seem quite as bright as the t and n...maybe it's my monitor but it seems sort of greyish, even where there's no shading?

Sweet work!

Nemhain
1st February 2010, 04:10 PM
Nice designs man :)
It's a very detailed logo though, and I'm just wondering would a lot of that detail be lost if it has to be scaled down for business cards and what not?

It is different though, and certainly eye catching - your style reminds me of graffiti murals and your friend's looks gritty and urban. Maybe you two have more in common, style wise, than you thought :)

defor
1st February 2010, 04:57 PM
very nice...
although i think as stated earlier, the b/w holds its own much better.
as to changes- I'd make sure each has a version that can stand alone (as its a collaboration).
nice job giving me a headache while trying to wrap my head around the isometric projection you've cheated with ++

eLhabib
8th February 2010, 07:42 PM
:) yeah you might also notice that my part of the logo looks like t'' if viewed from the 'top' - NOT a coincidence ;)