PDA

View Full Version : Sleep mode on PS3?

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2009, 05:18 AM
My sessions of WOHD tend to be short and intermittent-- fitted in between other things I have to do.

So is there any way to put the PS3 to sleep while paused in the midst of a game? I hate to leave the console running full bore for hours on end, wasting electricity and putting wear/tear on the electronics.

Or am I really the only one the plays games in short sessions?

Sideshow
21st January 2009, 08:15 AM
You can have it auto-power off and auto turn off the pads, but no, there's no quick-wakeup mode. I think it does go into a low power consumption mode if left idle for long enough (if you leave it in XBM and go away, the screen will be dimmed when you get back), but not sure if that works in game.

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks, Sideshow :)

I had noticed the screen dimming when the console is left in the XMB and it seems like the PS3 itself was quieter, so maybe you are right about it going into a low power mode in the XMB.

I don't think I see this in game though-- the PS3 is humming the whole time and staying quite warm.

Anyway, apologies for making a thread about this fairly small issue but it really is amazing to me that modern consoles don't have a sleep mode or low power mode. That's a lot of wear/tear and wasted electricity! Perhaps there are technical problems with integrating sleep mode in game.

eLhabib
21st January 2009, 04:05 PM
Actually, I don't know of any (old) console that could do that, either. When you play a game on pc or mac, can you pause and go to sleep mode, and it'll wake up exactly like you left it?

Darkdrium777
21st January 2009, 04:08 PM
No sleep mode on PS3.

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2009, 04:27 PM
Actually, I don't know of any (old) console that could do that, either. When you play a game on pc or mac, can you pause and go to sleep mode, and it'll wake up exactly like you left it?

I think you are correct about this, eLhabib-- none of my previous home consoles (Wii, GCN, N64) had a sleep function either. Not sure about PC/Mac gaming, it's been a loonnng time since I've been involved with that ;)

In the past I left the Wii and GCN and N64 running and didn't worry too much about it. The difference to me is that the PS3 (and the Xbox360 for that matter) run HOT and have an internal hard-drive that spins and spins and spins and use a lot more electricity than previous hardware iterations. So it seems like a situation where a sleep mode could be helpful? I dunno.

eLhabib
21st January 2009, 04:35 PM
well actually, since wipEout HD is a downloadable game, there is no disc spinning, and the hard drive won't be spinning either if you're idle on the record tables for example (not in the main menu, because then it will load demo racing). So it shouldn't wear&tear that much I think, maybe it'll even cool down - takes a try to know!

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2009, 04:41 PM
Ooh that's a good point-- usually I pause in the midst of a race or at the title screen, which as you say has a lot of video going on.

I will try to pause at a record table instead and see what happens. I will also pay more attention to the noises of the console to determine what I am really hearing (fan vs. hard-drive spinning etc.)

Thanks guys :)

Darkdrium777
21st January 2009, 05:19 PM
In fact, you'd best pause at the Racebox setup screen, that way the PS3 will not use Wifi like on the records page :) Wifi heats up some as well (and eats electricity), although not as much as hard drive or video processing.

And on a PC, sure, you can go into hibernation mode or sleep mode, and the PC will resume after just like it was (normally). However doing this while gaming... Ummm I'm not so sure it's a good idea.

Sideshow
22nd January 2009, 11:33 AM
eLhabib: HDDs spin all the time, regardless of whether you're accessing them (and the PS3 is probably accessing it quite regularly anyway)

Darkdrium777: The wifi will be on all the time anyway if you're signed in to PSN. I think the only way you could pysically turn it off would be to disable it in the XBM settings menu (and even then I'm not sure if the ps3 would actually turn off the hardware).

Frances_Penfold
25th January 2009, 02:48 PM
I tried out some of the excellent suggestions made in this thread, just wanted to follow up quickly.

* near as I can tell, the PS3 hard-drive spins non-stop when WOHD is loaded, regardless of where you park the game (menus, leaderboards, in-game, etc.).

* the cool, stylized "movie" that runs when the game is loaded seems to run in the background even if you take the game to the leaderboard or advanced menu pages.

My overall sense is that WOHD runs the console pretty hard and that it makes sense to quit out of the game rather than leaving it running (unplayed) for hours on end. I wish Sony would implemented a sleep mode or low-energy mode on the PS3 but certainly they are not in any way unique in failing to implement this feature in a home console.

Thanks again for the very helpful suggestions made in this thread ;)

Task
29th January 2009, 12:12 AM
My sessions of WOHD tend to be short and intermittent-- fitted in between other things I have to do.
Or am I really the only one the plays games in short sessions?I do all my gaming in short sessions.
Which is why all my gaming is done on a PSP these days. 8 )

So your main problem might be that you're using the wrong console! 8 D

Darkdrium777
29th January 2009, 12:14 AM
PSP - Everywhere just got better.

;)

fantaboy00
29th January 2009, 04:31 AM
I agree, most people say they're lost without their mobile phones. Im absolutley gutted if i ever find myself idle for more than 10 mins without my PSP.

I wish they would make a an update for sleep mode for the PS3 just like the PSP.

after all a while ago you had to quit the game to see XMB... jist be patient guys