PDA

View Full Version : I Wish – WipEout Evolution (3D)

quantum-avatar
18th December 2008, 01:50 PM
A little something for you grizzly veterans :mr-t and next gen rising stars :banzai

I remember when I first booted up WipEout on the psx and drooled over the ice cool CGI rendered intro which tuned my imagination and set things up for one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. The way the craft handled, floated and occasionally flew was amazing. As fantastic as the game was I recall part of me saying to myself I wish I could play the game as it appeared in the eye watering intro. I was aware that this was unfortunately an impossibility as it was ray traced frame by frame, hour by hour on a Sun Microsystems or some other supercomputer. Still a boy can dream :dizzy

2097 and Wip3out carried the torch, and then I saw a movie called Hackers in which they had a high def version of the game played in a bar on a huge projection screen. Hollywood and reality however rarely synchronise :frown:

Then came Sony’s Fusion and Quantum Redshift from the original Psygnosis team and I gave up hope :brickwall

Pulse on the Psp and the classic expansion then rekindled the desire. By now a career and women had all but killed my digital skills and a PS3 was not even on my radar until I saw an advert for WipEout HD.

I went out and bought one immediately, hooked it up to my projector, started the download, and the rest is history. The perfect realisation of my wish. In sparkling high def my wall magically transformed into a 250 inch portal to the future. One of those perfect moments in life :hyper (I love this game!)

Anyway I thought it would be really interesting to find out what the next generation who started out on the PS3 and 360 want to see in future evolutions of the wipeout series. Dare to dream, you may one day get what you wish for!

How about WipEout H3D, a code update that renders the game in stereoscopic interlaced 3D and some Oakley styled WiFi shutter glasses 8) The immersion and phenomenal sense of speed would take things to a new level. (well worth any price in my opinion, PS3 should be able to handle the processing)

Just a thought. :xtree Merry Christmas everone !

RJ O'Connell
18th December 2008, 03:49 PM
Wipeout in 3D would just cause people's heads to explode from over-immersion. Hellz yeah, I would buy.

Oh, and

(shield activated)
I found Quantum Redshift and Wipeout Fusion to be great fun actually.
(shield de-activated)

quantum-avatar
18th December 2008, 05:04 PM
(missile absorbed)
dont worry no axe to grind :beer

Both are great games, just nowhere near to creating the addiction that the original 3 had and now HD

swift killer
18th December 2008, 06:00 PM
If done in the right way, WipEout would look amazing cell shaded.

quantum-avatar
19th December 2008, 12:08 AM
Agreed or high rez vectors a bit like a wireframe mode brought into the 21st century.

djKyoto
19th December 2008, 02:54 AM
Anyway I thought it would be really interesting to find out what the next generation who started out on the PS3 and 360 want to see in future evolutions of the wipeout series.

(missle) (rockets) (plasma) (missle) (missle) (quake) (cannon) (missle) :pirate

quantum-avatar
19th December 2008, 11:55 AM
Such Hostility...;)

To be fair to the 360 the only game that gets a look in with Wipeout available is Pacman Championship Edition on the 360, it is superb and well worth a look.

Still my last 360 died, scratched all my games and was unable to log on to LIVE so if Microsoft is -- Eliminated -- I wont lose too much sleep :D

DJ Techno
25th December 2008, 08:29 PM
i might be a halo player...

but i still will not have one piece of xbox console in my house.

wonder how i play halo a lot... ask the friends who house i go to. to play.

hahah

but really. i could play wipeout hd and with my oakleys. look and play really really great? in all 3d and stuff u mentioned?

judus
31st December 2008, 06:01 PM
How about WipEout H3D, a code update that renders the game in stereoscopic interlaced 3D and some Oakley styled WiFi shutter glasses The immersion and phenomenal sense of speed would take things to a new level

Funny you mention stereoscopic rendering. It could very well be the next stage in television evolution no?

Task
2nd January 2009, 07:08 PM
No. Too difficult to hold that "unusual focus point" for any significant amount of time.
Pretty sure the next stage is TV on your wristwatch. 8 P

eLhabib
2nd January 2009, 07:48 PM
I'm actually pretty sure 3D is the next step - just as I read a couple of weeks ago (http://kotaku.com/5115781/playstation-3-will-be-3d-ready-in-2009).

Nick Burcombe
8th January 2009, 12:18 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2009/01/07/ces-2009-sony-teases-with-high-quality-ps3-3d

"I couldn't pry details about how the 3D affect was achieved, or if the display could turn any source into 3D, but what's clear is that, glasses or no, the 3D affect is amazing. Sony showed off Wipeout HD running in true 3D, and I was ready to whip out my credit card right there. Frank and I both agreed, this was one of the best demos of 3D technology we have ever seen."

:)

RJ O'Connell
8th January 2009, 03:03 PM
Fantastic stuff! And from Nick no less - a pleasant surprise! :+

eLhabib
8th January 2009, 03:12 PM
Nice!

Frances_Penfold
8th January 2009, 04:35 PM
Very cool-- this should perhaps be posted over in the WOHD board...

Edit-- Various reaction and more information from neogaf crowd
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348117

RJ O'Connell
8th January 2009, 04:46 PM
3D Zone may just cause instant, non-stop orgasms for anyone that plays it...

eLhabib
8th January 2009, 04:52 PM
In that case I'd rather have an epileptic fit I guess. Saliva stains are so much easier to clean...

guillaume
9th January 2009, 10:49 AM
Now that's real classy... :p

Nick Burcombe
9th January 2009, 01:43 PM
You should see it! Fantastic effect.

Couple that with realtime headtracking and gaming can go somewhere very unique.....(at least for the solo player game experience). :)

Movies can only do 3D without the headtracking, but at least others in the same room can enjoy the 3D effect.

Frances_Penfold
9th January 2009, 02:29 PM
Sounds awesome :)

Uhm, what's headtracking?

cnmth
9th January 2009, 03:15 PM
i think that he means somehting like this :)

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Mad-Ice
10th January 2009, 10:19 AM
This looks so amazing! A very nice example vid, Cnmth. Thanks for the link.

Nick Burcombe
10th January 2009, 10:40 AM
Absolutely right cnmth. The combination of that "Through the window" look of head tracking and polarised 3D display would be quite incredible for the player.

Here a demo on PS3. The chinese street scene is a nice example of what you can expect.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8SDGG9HhbgQ&feature=related

This good too....no IR bar - just a webcam or I guess you could use PSEye

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uA8ZXPS6onk&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BduSDvUU6MY&feature=related

And with facetracking couldn't webchat be more 'exciting' if you could be anyone/anything you wanted to be....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i_bZNVmhJ2o&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UCIjFatU2l8&feature=related

eLhabib
10th January 2009, 02:29 PM
I don't see what headtracking would add to a game like wipEout. After all, you'd need to move your head around to 'get' the effect... :?

Nick Burcombe
11th January 2009, 11:26 AM
I'm more talking about the future for gaming in general. FPS's etc would really benefit.

lovedr
13th January 2009, 11:44 PM
Wow! I've seen the future and it will be...3D

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

i also found some of the other projects johnny has previously worked on very interesting.

can't wait for this technology to filter out to the masses.

stinkleroy
27th January 2009, 05:58 AM
Wow, that 3D stuff looks mad!

But in answer to the thread I would personally like to see more development in the campaign mode of the game. There should be a story behind each team and personal rivalries between pilots, incentives to win and claim the gold. The only incentives to complete the campaign mode at the moment are unlocks and trophies.....If fans have gotten together and created an entire history of AG racing, then surely the devs could add a bit of backstory too, just to spice things up a bit.

I dunno, I'd just like to see a bit more depth and personality added to enhance the overall experience.

LOUDandPROUD
28th January 2009, 02:22 PM
Agreed, Cat! I like your idea a lot!

TorquedSoul
9th February 2009, 08:48 PM
This could be dangerous ... I may never go outside again.

Chill
13th February 2009, 06:09 AM
WWWOOOAAAHHH!!!! THAT IS BADASS!!! just think though... if you were to have a screen in front, and two screens to each side of you to represent the side windows... Wipeout could become rediculously INCREDIBLE!!! :O

MEKAGORI
30th July 2009, 06:39 PM
As stupid as this sounds... placing a fan next to you actually helps with the whole immersion thing.

...that's not really why I did it, though, it's just really hot here in Washington. Got up to 102F yesterday. :|

Divykecks
7th August 2009, 06:44 PM
I used to play my PC games in 3D with the eDimensional shutter glasses thingies... Games like Pain Killer and NFS Underground where spot on but others like Doom3 etc that had alot of 2d lighting effects used to look messy.

On the right game it can look amazing and being able to judge both speed and the distance to a corner on NFS Underground is an experience I won't forget.

One of the settings with the 3D glasses changed the simulated distance between your "virtual eyes" ... move them too close together and it gives you the impression that everything is larger than life , move them too far apart and you get the impression you are playing with small toy sized objects.

bring on the 3d , hopefully Sony will release a pair of stereoscopic goggles and not rely on us to have decent TV sets.