PDA

View Full Version : PS2 disc read error help

Kscorps
14th December 2008, 02:59 AM
I was playing MGS2 Substance, I was on the tail end of the Tanker chapter, and after I open a door, the PS2 freezes to a black screen. I restarted the PS2, and it froze again. I then skipped that chapter, and started playing that. I get bored of that, and go back to the title screen. I then pull out the disc and check it for scratches and clean it, there were no scratches except for this small V shaped scratch, which I've seen many times on discs that work very well. I clean it a few more times, and it still freezes. My PS2 is a late ( Nov-Dec 2002) model, and it's slowly falling apart. My brother knocked off the drive cover with the PS2 logo on it a few years ago, and one controller port is busted. I have several possibilities:

The PS2 is busted
My disc is screwed (Unlikely)
Freak glitch

So I've also been hearing that the old fat PS2s have had problems with dual layer DVDs, which MGS2 is, and that they tend to break down over time.

So, what should I do?

Edit: I also just bought MGS2 today, used in almost new condition.
I still feel the issue lies with the PS2.

Darkdrium777
14th December 2008, 04:46 AM
With the amount of beating it took, I'd say it's an accurate guess. Time to invest in one of the new slimline PS2s.

Strangely enough, I also got a fat PS2 and it's the second best DVD player in the house, the first one is the PS3 (Excluding computers).

Kscorps
14th December 2008, 05:56 AM
The controller port is so busted, I have to hold the controller in a certain way to get it to work! It's a pain when I hold my controller in a certain way and the light turns off and I have to wiggle it. :(

xEik
14th December 2008, 07:08 PM
This summer I started getting read problems while replaying Shadow of the Colossus. Both, the disc and the fat PS2, were in pristine condition.
The solution to my problem was to take the PS2 appart and grease the endless screw and rails which had become dry over the years causing the part that houses the lens to have problems when trying to move along the rails.

Kscorps
14th December 2008, 08:16 PM
I don't get a screen telling me I get the disc read error, rather when I access a certain part of the game (such as the Snake Tales or the last part of the Tanker chapter) it freezes to a black screen.

q_dmc12
14th December 2008, 09:32 PM
Have you tried cleaning the disc?

The controller port is so busted, I have to hold the controller in a certain way to get it to work! It's a pain when I hold my controller in a certain way and the light turns off and I have to wiggle it. :(
that is most likely the controller... or try pulling it out of its socket about a millimeter or so..

Kscorps
15th December 2008, 02:13 AM
Have you tried cleaning the disc?

Yes, still freezes. The disc looks fine, though.

that is most likely the controller... or try pulling it out of its socket about a millimeter or so..
No, the port is missing those black covers that go over the pins.

q_dmc12
15th December 2008, 03:29 AM
Colgate Total toothpaste (not the gel); cover???

mdhay
15th December 2008, 03:42 PM
Kscorps, it's screwed.

q_dmc12
15th December 2008, 03:45 PM
shh! Not every possible solution has been exercised yet...

Kscorps
15th December 2008, 09:19 PM
Are you saying the disc is screwed? Or is it the PS2? I'm getting a slim in the near future anyway.

mdhay
16th December 2008, 06:20 AM
The PS2.

Kscorps
21st December 2008, 04:25 PM
I just checked on the new PS2, yeah, it is the disc :(.