PDA

View Full Version : What would be a better measure of skill?

Sven
1st September 2002, 04:37 PM
I need to put up a best pilot title for Wipeout Fusion on my site, and I was wondering what would be better: a Time Trial, a Zone area, or and Arcade race? Any opinions? any input beyond that would be welcome, too.

rhys
1st September 2002, 08:54 PM
i suppose zone mode because:

1: the others can be cheated on to easily.....

2: it is a real test (i know :lol: )

3: people have to use a fixed ship

that would be my choice :)

lunar
1st September 2002, 09:14 PM
If Fusion recorded race times, I`d say do Alca Vexus 3 Arcade Race, using a Van Uber to discourage wall-scraping. If you wanted a Piranha time trial I`d say go for Vohl Square 1 or 3. But there are probably too many issues with time trials and race times in Fusion, so maybe it would have to be Zone, Area 6 :D

Sven
2nd September 2002, 01:00 AM
I was thinking about the single race being it because weapons are such a large part of your overall ability in Fusion. I was going to have people submit how many eliminations they got along with the race time. But Zone mode is really good because shortcuts don't matter, it takes a huge amount of skill to do well, and things aren't too buggy.

Hydra XL
5th September 2002, 11:48 PM
best test of skill e.g. how i get to school/work:

take ur car, back it out of ur driveway, switch to drive, then put a cinder block on the accelerator. it's like zone mode but psycho.

Hellfire_WZ
7th September 2002, 05:02 PM
What you've got to remember with Zone mode though is that it requires an entirely different technique to Time Trial. Trouble is, I've gotten so used to Zone, I can't race TT anymore. I'd say a measurement of skill would be to be able to perform equally well on both Zone and TT, to show that you can handle both racing techniques.

Sven
7th September 2002, 06:16 PM
that gets more complicated though, because you have to add the two together somehow to get an overall preformance score. TT and Zone don't exactly have compatable scoring methods.

rhys
7th September 2002, 06:43 PM
um.........tt time minus zone level reached???

Hellfire_WZ
7th September 2002, 07:27 PM
that gets more complicated though, because you have to add the two together somehow to get an overall preformance score. TT and Zone don't exactly have compatable scoring methods.

Exactly. I don't think there's a way to accurately gain a "total score" from TT and Zone. If you can say you've slaughtered a large number of Gold times and achieved an insanely high zone, that's the best measurement you can get. It'll always be an approximation because of how different the two modes actually are.

JABBERJAW
7th September 2002, 10:10 PM
time trial has a technique? it requires almost no skill whatsoever. zone is the way to go

science
8th September 2002, 02:37 AM
if you want a true measure of skill, disregard fusion altogether. go back a title or two, then youll have it no matter what mode of gameplay you use. ;)
seriously though, go for zone mode. unless you want to ask contenders to record and add up the times for 3 consecutive laps for TT etc., zone mode is going to be the only way to measure how good one is at the game. all other official records that fusion saves for you are basically fluke times, plus some of the tracks are so buggy that you can end up cheating without even trying to.
eck, im about 2 sentences from going on a rant, so i'll stop right here.

Vasudeva
8th September 2002, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if there was a TT timetable option for Fusion here, that I'd use it. Usually I really enjoy TT in the other games; for me it's the ultimate skill test, more so than RR where you also depend on luck somewhat (Autopilots, being knocked away by weapons or your ship being destroyed by them).

I don't want to add to the stream of negative comments because Fusion *does* have its merits (graphics, soundtrack...), but indeed some tracks are just too bugged. One of the Vohl Square (which doesn't sound Russian at all, by the way but German) tracks has this really stupid bug. There's a jump near the end, and usually you just come down after a while of floating in mid-air but thanks to this bug you keep on floating higher and higher until the computer puts you back half a track. Irritating.

Yes, I'd also say Zone Mode is the skill test for Fusion, but my personal opinion is: who cares? Zone Mode is a cool idea and captured my attention for a while. But the rest of the game was too anticlimactic, so I just dropped that one too after a while.

Well. I ranted. Again. :roll:

Peace ;),
V.

science
10th September 2002, 07:29 AM
fusion's TT records consist of lap times only, as opposed to full race times and best lap times. basically, with single laps, you have a record of fluke times as opposed to true show of skill... i can't help but wonder what they were thinking.
and pertaining to the vohl square track, (i believe its course2, forward) that track had the potential to be my favorite track in the game... until i discovered the second shortcut, and that horrible, horrible bug.
i havent played fusion in 3 months.

lunar
10th September 2002, 08:33 PM
Yeah I think Vohl Square is the most challenging, its mostly narrow and some parts do need you to take a good line. Its the hardest to win in arcade I think, especially in an EGR or less. With the two big jumps at the end, course 2 would have been the best but..... :(

JABBERJAW
10th September 2002, 10:37 PM
I sent them a list of bugs well before the ntsc version was released. As well as suggesting race records, tt race records, fixing the funky pitch control in the air where you can't adjust where you land on zone. I was assured vohl 2 was fixed, because this was my favorite as well. They didn't fix a damn thing!! (except taking the d-pad side functions off(which was good).

Vasudeva
11th September 2002, 10:42 AM
I personally feel that Vohl Square isn't challenging at all. I think Temtesh Bay 3 or 2 are more difficult (especially because there are more bugs...).

Peace,
V.

lunar
11th September 2002, 11:51 PM
Vohl 2 reverse was the only course I struggled to win in aracde with my egr. Course 1 seems quite tricky in the EGR too, but maybe I`m just not good enough :oops: Maybe I just like Vohl Square because it think its a bit like Spilskinanke/Gare d`Europa/Manor Top in some places.

Yeah Temtesh Bay is a harder course, but the AI ships don`t try very hard so you can bang and scrape your way to victory on that one.

If only we could have these tracks with WO3 scraping and handling, then we`d know the truth. Dreaming again.

Confusion
30th September 2002, 03:55 PM
I personally feel that Vohl Square isn't challenging at all. I think Temtesh Bay 3 or 2 are more difficult (especially because there are more bugs...).

Peace,
V.

Don't wanna be arrogate here but Temtesh bay 3 was piss easy. Temtesh 2 was hard but afterwards you get the hang of it...

DJ Techno
30th September 2002, 09:19 PM
[quote="Vasudeva"]I personally feel that Vohl Square isn't challenging at all. I think Temtesh Bay 3 or 2 are more difficult (especially because there are more bugs...).

yeah Vohl Square was for you maybe but not for me, I have hated the Russians design for a race track since their first one was created back in 2049 (wipeout)

All the Temptesh Bay tracks are easy, and a real fun to race on too :wink:

Vasudeva
30th September 2002, 09:25 PM
Oh, Temtesh Bay wasn't *that* difficult with regards to the track itself, but the bugs made it difficult... :(

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the first wipEout was set in 2052.

Peace!
V.

DJ Techno
30th September 2002, 10:31 PM
By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the first wipEout was set in 2052.
Peace!
V.[/quote]

The first Wipeout season set in 2052 yes. All the teams were created before the season started and if you look around thats why everybody who represent there teams they have the origanl date when they came out.

I got the orignal booklet for wipeout at home as well as the game, and the season did start in 2052, so your correct

I am heading back to the base. Be back later (next day)

stin
1st October 2002, 06:04 PM
Oh, Temtesh Bay wasn't *that* difficult with regards to the track itself, but the bugs made it difficult... :(

Peace!
V.

yeah its was set in 2052 cos I was reading the first WipEout book :wink:

stin :D

DJ Techno
1st October 2002, 07:56 PM
:D we both have the orignal Wipeout booklet
thats cool 8)