PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Pilot assist??

kluber
30th October 2008, 12:47 PM
I stopped playing wipeout since 2097, and I cant seem to get used to pilot without the pilot assist.
Does it really reduces your time in a lap our its not so bad??
Give me your feedback please.

Asurya
30th October 2008, 01:24 PM
Never have, never will. Not even to get the trophy.

rushin
30th October 2008, 01:31 PM
Never have, never will. Not even to get the trophy.

it does reduce your speed, but not enough. also makes you annoying as hell to fly against. I am fed up getting utterly destroyed when surrounded by PA 'pilots' slamming me constantly into walls that they cannot touch.

practice is better option than turning on cheat mode ;-)

crawdad62
30th October 2008, 01:44 PM
I have. In fact up until a few weeks ago I thought it was off by default since there's a splash screen that explains how to enable it. I'd not dove into the sub menus until I was looking to increase the acceleration sensitivity and noticed it was on by default.

I've not noticed a whole big difference except in the faster speed classes. In Venom and Flash I fly pretty much the same off or on. My times were a bit slower for a few races once I turned it off but now it's usually faster. Online races I have to pay more attention to my energy when banging around with other players.

I know there's quite a backlash against it here since most of the people on WZ are purist and accomplished pilots so you're probably going to get a lopsided view. I'd be curious of how many players are using it online. That way you could really see if there's an advantage either way.

That being said I've turned it off and won't turn it back on. Not really for any other reason than I've not personally seen an advantage one way or the other and I might as well fly unassisted.

eLhabib
30th October 2008, 01:49 PM
If you are a newcomer to wipEout and don't know how to handle the craft, Pilot Assist will definitely help you in the first couple of races getting used to the basic controls. If you want to make progress and actually get to a decent skill level in piloting however, there's no way around turning it off permanently. I still don't understand how some newbs get fun out of playing phantom online with Pilot Assist - they are basically letting the game do the flying...

kluber
30th October 2008, 06:01 PM
ok guys, i got the picture. Thanks for the opinions, I'll disable that feature once again, since the first time I did it I started loosing way too much time scrapping into walls, but I remember that in WP2097 I was pretty good at it.
Lets see.

crawdad62
30th October 2008, 06:53 PM
You know honestly if having it on increases your enjoyment of the game and you're not going to go online and get into races over your head I don't know why you couldn't leave it on.

On the other hand it becomes a crutch so to speak. You rely on it and not develop your piloting skills. Plus who knows? SL may add the ability to designate races with PA on or off (total speculation on my part) and why limit yourself?

TenzyXIII
30th October 2008, 07:53 PM
I am fed up getting utterly destroyed when surrounded by PA 'pilots' slamming me constantly into walls that they cannot touch.

practice is better option than turning on cheat mode ;-)

exactly what i was gonna say!
why on earth would you play with it on? its a ridiculas feature that should have only been allowed in the 1st event!

klax75
31st October 2008, 12:35 AM
Yep, I had it on when I first got WipeOut HD, because it was on by default. Then I realized it turned it off, I crashed a lot since I wasn't use to the PS3 sticks. I thought about it how in Pure and Pulse I never had a PA and I did that just fine. So I turned it off and left it off. PA on you will as other have said use it as a crutch, and not really learning the tracks since you have so much assistance in it.

I also find it very frustrating being punted off track by a player online with PA on, and there is no way to know who is using it now. I get the penalty because they use it, hit me I hit the wall and come to a dead stop, when they just race away like nothing happened.

I hope in the future they make it when hosting races you can choose to turn PA off for all competitors (and BRs) but as a option you don't have to set every time you host a race.

Rapier Racer
31st October 2008, 01:04 AM
Weeeeeell its not really on by default now is it? You get asked when you first start the game so it's not like you didn't know ;)

I put it on to get the trophy. Then I decided that trophies are pointless, given away for nothing and therefore don't prove I've achieved anything. They're just an ego booster (look at me I have such and such neh neh) and nothing else on a similarly pointless scale as the 360 achievements, which are probably thought up by the janitorial staff on their coffee breaks.

Anyway back to the cheat mode, I agree once again the host should be able to turn it off for everyone who joins, the way things are as such is ludicrous, nevermind making extra tracks fix this first!!! If we had a choice between fixing that or having a no respawn option I know what I'd be voting for!!

crawdad62
31st October 2008, 01:07 AM
You get asked when you first start the game so it's not like you didn't know ;)

Actually I don't remember being asked about it. All I ever saw was one of the load screens that explained how to turn it ON.

klax75
31st October 2008, 01:43 AM
I don't remember every being asked either. Just the tool tip CrawDad62 mentioned.

SuperNova
31st October 2008, 04:59 AM
Ive used it once to get the trophy, never will use it again

I turn it on for friends when they play wipeout, ther hopeless :P

Rapier Racer
31st October 2008, 11:21 AM
Reeeeally, cos you can't actually get past the screen "ARE YOU NEW TO WIPEOUT?" *insert explanation of cheat mode* and play the game until you choose an option, how very odd...

Lance
31st October 2008, 04:44 PM
How very sarcastic; let's not do that.

JABBERJAW
31st October 2008, 05:11 PM
It would be nice if they just slowed it down comsiderably more, or at the very least put PA next to the opponents name

xtriko
1st November 2008, 10:36 AM
I used it only to get the trophy. but i can't tell about those questions about if we're new to wipeout because... when i first played it, I was sssssooooo drunk XD I don't even remember finishing the first 2 grids XD I remember I was chating with Rapier_Racer about how hard elite was... nothing more XD

Praetorian1960
1st November 2008, 12:22 PM
l think there should be rooms were pilot assist is not allowed.Then when I get beat I,ll KNOW i,m Pants.

Maschinengeist
2nd November 2008, 08:48 PM
I'll never use it, even to get the trophy...I just hate having a virtual committee between my left analog stick and the ship controls, if that makes any sense; I just want direct control, even if I'm really flying by the seat of my pants, lol. :g

Lance
2nd November 2008, 09:03 PM
My jeans are my co-pilot.

Darkdrium777
2nd November 2008, 09:41 PM
I put it on to get the trophy, it's such a small thing to put it on for two minutes and then turn it back off because you realize it hinders you more than helps you when you are already a skilled pilot. You get a trophy while experiencing that. So why not?

love9sick
3rd November 2008, 04:51 PM
I only used it to achieve that trophy of winning one race with the assist on. Have not used it since.

rdmx
4th November 2008, 02:05 AM
I only used it to get the noob pilot assist trophy, as well as to get the 'get eliminated' trophy (so i could get killed by weapons fire, not walls).

Avenger2197
5th November 2008, 01:32 AM
For me I used it for the trophy but turned it off afterwards as it was a hindrence on my learning experience for the tracks. I never use it online as you really shouldn't need it anyway, especially when facing some of the Zone's elite pilots.:)

kingadrock311
17th December 2008, 03:36 PM
Pilot assist is ruining online play - studio liverpool are morons for this

H3avyM3tal
17th December 2008, 04:05 PM
Well I have played countless races online with people I didn't know on phantom, and never once did it make me curse PA. Overall the races are going smoothly and PA has mo effect on me.

Really, I don't think elitists think logically. It always comes down to some hostility againt new players. There is nothing wrong with PA, as people who use it are much less in numbers than those who don't use it.

xEik
17th December 2008, 06:07 PM
Pilot assist is ruining online play - studio liverpool are morons for this
I'm with you that pilot assist looks like it is pants from what I've seen (I haven't played HD).

However, insulting the devs (who happen to come to this forums from time to time) won't get you far here. Posting almost the same rant in three different threads won't either.

kingadrock311
18th December 2008, 01:20 AM
just give me their email - studio liverpool email please

TheFrostE
18th December 2008, 01:22 AM
enough with the PA threads, old and new, geez. they are there and probably not going anywhere. deal

kingadrock311
18th December 2008, 01:29 AM
no, thats not the right atttitude, i think if we put a petition together and contact studio liverpool, the could easily fix this in a patch? anyone want to start a petition?:hyper

kanar
18th December 2008, 06:21 AM
I suggest you a speed lap cure mate, 200 laps per track, during at least 15 days. Just let the time to Studio Liverpool to release a christmas PA on/off update + cool addons! I'm sure it's on the way! & just ignore PA users, this is another -and lower- level playing field...