PDA

View Full Version : Indeterminate hiatus

AG-wolf
22nd October 2008, 06:42 PM
not that I'm particularly active here or really into any specific community, but I'm not going to be around for a while.

I had an interesting weekend. Intricate details aside, this was essentially the basics of my schedule over the few days.

Went to bed at 3:30am on friday, woke up at 8am. I called out of work and spent the entire day at a local event (lightly drunk, all day mind you), hung out with a couple friends and observed people. I was supposed to spend the entire weekend there but I inadvertantly scheduled two college open houses for saturday and sunday, so I had to leave around midnight.

Went to sleep at 2:30am on Saturday, woke up at 3:30am, showered and got dressed, my ma and I packed my car with a few things and then we were on the road at 4:30am on our way to Portland Maine (4 hour drive). We got there right around 8:30, and the first open house started at 9am.

http://www.meca.edu

Very long story short, this is where I NEED to go to school, at least right now. We also spent half the day just walking around portland with my sister, and she introduced us to one of her friends.. He runs the Portland Museum of African Culture, and after we were talking for a while, he asked me to illustrate a children's story he's trying to get published or something, so that's another goal on my plate.

We drove a little further north and had dinner with my sister and her husband, and we spent the night there. By the evening, I had decided the other open house on sunday wasn't even worth attending. I had entertained the idea of leaving really early so I could spend the rest of the day back with my friends from friday, but I couldn't ask my ma to wake up that early, plus we all ate breakfast later and talked for a bit. Left at around 10:30am, got home around 3pm. By the time I would have showered and driven back to the thing on friday, it would have been over, so it wasn't worth trying to do anything else on Sunday.

What it ultimately leads up to, is I just no longer have the attention-span or time for playing games. I've also been working overtime at work for over a month... this is week 5 right now.. 3:30pm to 1:30am, and despite having a good job and making a lot of money, I haven othing in savings because my mother and I are stuck in a rut with some financial troubles... Exhausting myself at work for seemingly NO return at all is very disenchanting, because it leaves me with no time or energy.

I've packed up all my games except my ps2, saturn, and 360, and when I wake up tomorrow before work, the PS2 and Saturn are going into storage as well. The next few months (years?) have to be spent focusing on drawing, trying to get out of the house more, and jumping through all the hoops of this school application process (grants, financial aid, etc etc). Wipeout, along with nearly all other games, has become very low priority for me, so I need to temporarilly "move on" to other stuff.

Again, like I said, it's not like I'm really active here, but Im just sort of tying up mental loose-ends as I try to move forward.

Lance
22nd October 2008, 06:54 PM
Bye. I hope you learned something here. Good luck at school; it can be an interesting place, full of many opportunities and pitfalls, but you'll not likely be bored.

infoxicated
23rd October 2008, 08:20 AM
Again, like I said, it's not like I'm really active here, but Im just sort of tying up mental loose-ends as I try to move forward.
It's a good thing to do. I once listened to a seminar on the psychology of achievement by Brian Tracy, and one of the things covered was tying up loose ends in order to move forward in your life.

One of the examples was a tentative game of tennis that you said you'd play with an acquaintance at some point, yet never got round to. Essentially, Tracy said you should call the guy up (or drop him an email, nowadays) and lay it to rest because having a load of loose threads to remember just got in the way of your clarity of thought.

I believe he was right. I know that mentally I only have the bandwidth for so many things before it all just becomes noise.

You're not the first to take a break from here, either - one of our most active members back when the site began, Vincoof, just drew a line in the sand one day and said he was done.

So best of luck to you, my friend. Bon voyage - maybe see you on the other side. :+