PDA

View Full Version : Rumble Racing

JABBERJAW
28th August 2002, 11:28 PM
Is this a combat racer? Is it any good?

infoxicated
29th August 2002, 08:29 AM
It's probably not your thing, man... it's an EA game from just over a year ago - it was going to be called Nascar Rumble Racing or something, but then they decided to go the full whack and dropped the Nascar bit.

It features one of the most playable two player games I've ever experienced - there are still eight cars on track with the human cars and you get to play as a team over different championships on three or more set courses.

The reason it's not your thing, I think, is that you have to do stunts SSX style in order to pick up boost. It looks a bit mad when a whole crowd of cars come off the same jump and they all start barrel rolling through the air and doing 360 degree backflips!

The more elaborate the stunt you do, the more boost you get on landing - at the highest level it gets pretty fast, but not as fast as Fusion at top whack.

Anyhow, there are pick ups too, like a freeze thing and a bomb - coolest of all is a Tornado pick up that launches this huge twister down the track in front of you, picking up the other cars and tossing them around like garbage - neat effect.

It really is the only non-serious, arcade style racing game that I have taken to :)

My guess is it's what EA had the NFS team do as a warm up before they got stuck in to making Hot Persuit 2, as the car handling is very similar to Hot Persuit on the PS1.

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/015/015894.html