PDA

View Full Version : Things that would improve HD

rushin
3rd October 2008, 10:31 PM
somewhat pretentious title, sorry about that :) some suggestions anyways

1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

2) the grinding to a halt penalty is a bit too harsh for online races
I guess this one is subjective, but it seems to me it just creates a very polar situation where whoever manages to get ahead early on will win. its all but impossible to catch up after you have been hit a couple of times. Today i was hit by a missile, i went flying into the wall over a mine. literally took me 3 or 4 seconds to even start moving. its anti competitive i tell ya :)

3) add text chat to lobby
lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.

4) add friends direct from lobby/game rooms

sure there were more, but my eyes have stopped bleeding now so i better get back to playing :D

[EDIT] 5) if i fall off the edge i spend a lot of time falling off a second/third time as the game restarts you waaaay too fast. back in the WO3 days the little droid would drop you off nicely giving you time to find your bearings. you might say meh rushin get some skills but then you have to apply that to another 80% of the people playing. It's frustrating, not in a 'ooohhh this is hard i'll practice more' way, but 'bollocks not again'

TheFrostE
3rd October 2008, 11:09 PM
i like the idea of text chat with KB in lobbies, because so much of the PSN community doesn't have headsets. SL has already done an amazing job with this one and have made us proud to be wipeout fans...and im sure they will update and add as time goes.

blackwiggle
4th October 2008, 10:51 AM
I agree with the changing of speed class as I choose which craft I'm going to use for the supposedly AGREED speed.

Nothing worse than to find yourself totally uncompetitive because your craft choice does not suit the NEW speed.

Dogg Thang
4th October 2008, 11:30 AM
Whatever about grinding to a halt, there is something not quite working with the overall mechanic of competitive racing in that you are absolutely right that whoever gets an early lead has a massive advantage and it can be nigh on impossible to catch up when you're in the blast zone in the middle.

And it's really hard to know what could possibly be done to make that situation better. It's a natural result of the weapons - those in front don't have to worry about mines or bombs, those behind do. Those in the middle take the brunt of the weapons fire from behind and in front. If you're in the middle, even close to the front, you can't really take a huge amount of chances or your shields will give out. If you're right in front, you can pretty much race it like a time trial, increasing your lead and giving you safety from everything except a quake.

Like I say, I actually have no idea how that could be made better.

fusionfrenzy
4th October 2008, 10:39 PM
^ I think what you just said is the reason Nintendo puts Blue shells in Mario Kart. It helps to stop that happening, and in first place you cant just race along like a time trial regardless of the battles between other players and their weapon play between each other because you always run the risk of getting blue-shelled, so you can be caught up. However, the blue shell is unpopular with a lot of people so its a lose-lose really.

Belegurx
4th October 2008, 11:11 PM
Blue shells... lol... i remember a Missile on... WOFusion? WO3? cant remember... that went directly to the leader too... it could be usefull for online races...

But what i mostly miss on this WOHD is the complete stats option from the previous fusion, pure or pulse, that even told u the time u spent watching the stats... i miss a lot to see how many weapons i used, wich ones most, laps on every curse... that kind of things... and an update 1.1 including that would be quite easy i guess...

Wip3ou7
4th October 2008, 11:48 PM
I would like stat tracking also...
More importantly I'd like for the mic problem to be fixed.... the game should not freeze for any period of time when u press the mic button.... that is ludicrous and I'm glad I haven't hit it accidently yet or I'd be seriously po'd.

rdmx
5th October 2008, 12:31 AM
If bombs were persistent as they were in Pure they could help slow leaders down.

Flashback Jack
5th October 2008, 02:25 AM
Well, after playing HD for a few hours earlier today, the only thing S.L. needs to do is make Phantom Phantom again -- the fastest class feels somewhere between Flash and Rapier this time. Gimme some Zen or Super Zen, thanks.

I like HD a lot; it's a very impressive piece of work -- but for that raw, visceral feel of racing, my heart is still with Pulse. Perhaps that will change when I score my own copy of HD and put more time into it, but I've yet to be convinced.

EDIT: Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

- F

Frances_Penfold
5th October 2008, 04:25 AM
You probably already know this, Flashback, but shield energy refills constantly (and quickly) when you are playing time trial and speed lap modes-- so for hot lapping, you can barrel roll as much as you want :)

I agree with you about the speed of the game, WOHD definitely seems slower than Pulse and even Pure.

I'm enjoying WOHD a lot-- bought my PS3 just recently so that I could play this game-- but in the end I expect I will slightly prefer the handheld games. I love portable gaming, and there is so much great content in Pure and Pulse. I do appreciate using the more powerful console, however, and a more seemless online system.

metalpancake
5th October 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have resOh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it..tored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

I agree completely. Especialy when use a ship with relatively low sheild energy such as Icarus or agsys. Every time i do a barrell rol it seems to put the energy warning on.
:turd
Also, I love the idea of keyboard chat in the lobby, as it is a quick and accessable to most of us.

Another feature I would love to see on top of increased audio quality is an icon that appears next to a players name to indicate whether they simply [I]have[I][ a headset or not. That would tell me whether or not to turn mine on, as I only use it when I'm certain that there are others talking.

Roz
5th October 2008, 07:46 PM
Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril.

Curious. For me Pulse was the worst in that regard. My shields were always critical regardless of BR's. The AI was constantly raming me..

Anyway, things that would really make HD cool for me.

- Bug fixes. Ever since Pure that WipEout has frozen on me and my console. It's not game breaking but it's sure as hell annoying and totally unecessary.

- Working leaderboards. Because I have loads of records to upload. Part of the fun is knowing who's the best and trying to beat them. That was one of the reasons I bought HD and it's still not working, although I've read from Colin that it's being fixed.

- Elite dificulty less cheap. I'm ok with cheap AI, but Elite pushes it to the extreme. It really does. Weapons don't seem to affect them, ship stats mean nothing (Feisar leaving a Triakis in the dust without Turbo or pads?), they are ultra-fast so it all comes down to pure luck with weapons with a constant racing line. And all the pads. And all BR's.

I suppose I could turn down to Skilled, but I must have all the trophies =)

- Bring back the stats!

Other than that, I think I'm fine with HD.

lunar
5th October 2008, 08:00 PM
EDIT: Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

I preferred the Pure system for multiplay and I`m glad it`s back - more tactical, more dangerous, more exciting. But, as you say, to each his own. :)

Text chat in lobbies would be useful, agree, and yes we love stats!

Regarding being stuck in the pack and having to get away at the start, I think it`s always been like that since Pure`s multiplayer. You absolutely have to get the first part of the race right and not get caught in the mash-up. That`s a huge part of the game. The only way around it that I`ve ever though might work was the idea to have no weapons for a period at the start of the race. Don`t know if I would like that until I saw it in practice, but it might balance the game away from the high thrust ships a bit. Triakis in Pure was slow starting, but you could catch up because it could eat bombs.

Roz
5th October 2008, 08:03 PM
Oh, I forgot one.

Weapon pickups should take race position to consideration. Being 1st with Quake's and Missiles ready is stupid. Being last with Mines and Bombs is even worse. Maybe balance things out a little?

eLhabib
5th October 2008, 09:11 PM
As far as I know, weapon pads actually are a bit balanced, in that they give you a higher possibility of offensive weaopns when you are behind, and defensive ones when you are in front (even though it might not seem that way...).

klax75
5th October 2008, 09:28 PM
For me, I've played WipeOut since the first version on the PS1. Sadly though I had never had my own copies, they had always been rented, or borrowed. Until I got both version for the PSP. (One I had to buy twice, since the first copy mysteriously disappeared)

Things that would make WipeOut better would be.

Replays of races, I really don't see the point in taking screen shots as it is right now. I love doing it, I've taken several of them, 100 or so. Yet it's not very enjoyable, since the easiest time to do it, is after a race when the computer it strolling around the track. I can't get any action shots, of me doing a barrel roll or anything. Since the game is so fast, I don't have time to hit Pause, then go to photo during a race. Not to mention online races. Being able to save replays to watch later, or to send to a friend. In GT5P and TT, I have tons of replays, sometimes in TT I set my replay playlist to play while I work on the computer, since I have several hours worth.

Online Replays, and ghost lap uploads. It would be nice to be able to download ghost laps of fellow players to try and see how they did it, and try there racing lines. And to watch replays of online races.

When a race is over and but not all players have finished, I'd like to see a track view instead of just looking at the race results. To watch the remaining craft finish.

Stats system, right now for me, there is no real draw to race online. Since I can't look at anyone's racing profile, or see there stats. I can't even look at mine. Was a fun part of previous games to look at your stats for every aspect of the game.

Teams and Leagues, a cool feature would to be able to form teams with your friends. Each team can have a set number of players it can have. Now they can have league events. League events would break down in to a race series, that you need to race in for your team. Kind of like MLB The Show '08. As in you have a set amount of time, to do the races you need run, against other people in the league. The points would be for each racers, plus there team for wins. How Formula One does it, so if I have a team and my guys come in 1st and 2nd, Driver 1 has 8 points, Driver 2 has 6 points and our Team has 14. The points would figure in for Trophies for the League Driver Champion, and for the top Teams Championship. League would have so many races they would have to do in there "season" but that can be set by the host of the league.

I know WipeOut is all about combat racing and that can be fun. Honestly the weapons in the game have always been the least favorite part for me. I don't find them fun at all. I call the weapons the second pilot assist feature.

I wish there was a host mode that you could set the number of laps you want per race, the racing is the fun part for me. And 3, 4, 5 lap races are just to short. I like setting up a race with no weapons at all, but to have the option of setting the race to be 20 laps or more would be wonderful. Now it doesn't go about what weapon you have it goes not hitting the wall and taking damage, so you don't explode. In this mode, pilot assist would be turned off. It would become more endurance racing.

Information about the racers you are going tor ace against. There should be a PA next to there name if they are using Pilot Assist or not.

I agree some sort of communication with others in the lobby. I'm not a fan of voice chat, call me old. lol. I'd rather type a message.

Online profile cards. So I can look up my own persona of my driver, showing me all his stats, win, lose, team used the most, tracks I prefer, but so others can see it to.

Search field for online stats, to be able to search for players by name.

In game buddy list, and team list (If there was teams) To be able to play your friends by inviting them easily.

I've notice that some graphical effects are gone from the PSP versions. The main one for me is when coming out of a tunnel that there is a burst of brightness then normalizes. Or going in to the tunnel it is slightly dark, then adjust to normal. As if your eyes had to adjust I always found this feature to be realistic and fun.

Adjusting the time of day. Like Vineta K, I always liked the sunny afternoon look from the PSP, over the dusk look of WipeOut HD. Adjusting your favorite track time of day, from dusk, dawn, mid-day, to night races would be fun.

Slip Streaming / Drafting, I'd always thought that it would be cool to draft off the AG Racer in front of you. So when you get in the exhaust energy beam that trails the behind each vehicle you will draft off them, if you leave the beam you will go back to normal speed. This would make it possible to catch up to people. And would work well in non-weapon races.

Now this suggestion is meant to expand on the WipeOut experience of AG racing, I know this wouldn't be for everyone. Taking WipeOut to a new level of realism in that not just upgrades for your AG vehicles would every upgrade system around everyone at the end of the road only uses certain components in there vehicles. I always wished in WipeOut that I could tune my craft. Changing aspects of it like in Gran Turismo. The spring rate of the hover effect, the handling sharpness or stiffness, ship acceleration, air brake effect how much or little it will help. Do my air brakes pop instantly, or are they fluid deployment. The amount of thrust in my craft, but it might effect the damage I can take. Now each adjustment would have pro's and con's, they would each effect my ship. Each AG SetUp I'd be able to upload and give to my friends. SetUps saved, Per craft and can be saved Per Track. Each parameter of each ship would have it's limits. Where changing my one element might effect my over all top speed of my charge. Changing another might give me more, speed, by my cornering will go down. Changing the shock of the hover, might run the risk of bouncing off the track if I hit to hard back on the track.

Amon
5th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Oh, and they need to un-nerf the barrel rolls. Pure was a constant nightmare when it came to critical shields; HD appears to have restored that peril. To each is own I suppose, but can't say I'm a fan of it.

As you say at each his own... to me barrell rolls should have been entirely left out of the game....

I agree with the fixed speed class thing... not nice to sarch a rapier class race only to join and discover that the host has changed to venom :(

klax75
5th October 2008, 10:43 PM
I also agree barrel rolls should be taken out. If they have to be in there, make the controls for them different, the left right left thing is horrible.

Belegurx
5th October 2008, 10:54 PM
I absolutly agree... i hate when my lap time depends on how many BR can i make on a single lap (read: Beat Zico). I cant use the Sixaxis to pitch control cos of my usual postion of the control pad when i play, and having to push back, and then left-right-left in half a second just to gain some time, i usually loose it instead... if i could move my fingers so fast i would play piano...

Just my opinion... Barrel Rolls... Goodbye!

Flashback Jack
5th October 2008, 10:57 PM
If [barrel rolls] have to be in there, make the controls for them different, the left right left thing is horrible.

The input is fine really, and makes them quite simple to execute. Are there any other reasons you would want them removed from the game?

- F

eLhabib
5th October 2008, 11:10 PM
The input is not fine IMHO. Tapping the airbrakes left-right-left, now that would be fine input. Goes off much quicker and doesn't keep you from steering in the air.

klax75
5th October 2008, 11:11 PM
Double tapping a single air brake when in mid air for example. Since Air brakes act as a Air Planes rudder now. Having to "Whip the Ponies" as your main steering input for a Barrel Roll, has always seem odd to me.

eLhabib
5th October 2008, 11:18 PM
You'd be surprised how often I need sideshift in mid-air, so I'd prefer tapping L-R-L airbrakes for BR...

Belegurx
5th October 2008, 11:19 PM
...Tapping the airbrakes left-right-left, now that would be fine input...

Thats Exactly the way it should be...

klax75
5th October 2008, 11:21 PM
You'd be surprised how often I need sideshift in mid-air, so I'd prefer tapping L-R-L airbrakes for BR...

Thinking about it I agree. Hate the main steering for barrel rolls. Even if it was a option to change it to Air Brake would be great.

Flashback Jack
5th October 2008, 11:38 PM
The input is not fine IMHO.

Not fine for you. This isn't about the barrel rolls. Factoring pilot ability out of the argument, there's nothing to fault them on, so if anyone can find fault, I'd like to hear about it.

. Hate the main steering for barrel rolls. Even if it was a option to change it to Air Brake would be great.

I personally don't think so. If that were the case, it would be a smashfest for me barrel rolling into the bend on Talon's Junction White and Metropia Black. I've personally never had a need to sideshift in the air, but in the above two cases, I do need the immediate effect of mid-air airbraking to avoid being a casualty due to wall. The direction pad simply isn't sufficient in those cases.

- F

eLhabib
5th October 2008, 11:45 PM
Ignoring the fact that you are obviously feeling super-skilled, I think the current input method is quite restrictive:

- it has been reported from various pilots that it does not work 100% of the time, even if input is correct and there's enough time

- it gets in the way of steering your ship when airborne

- even more so, it can go off accidentally when you're just correcting your trajectory

- while it's rather easy to execute cleanly with the Dpad, it's quite messy with the analog, and no, I wont adjust myself to Dpad control now, and switching to Dpad just for the BRs is not an option

- for someone who does not want to use the motion sensor for pitch (for whatever reason, be it because he prefers to play while lying down, and the controller would be in the wrong angle to pitch effectively with motion), it is practically impossible to pitch and BR at the same time

Enough reasons for you? The solution to all abovementioned problems is switching the BR input (optionally) to the airbrake buttons.

Flashback Jack
6th October 2008, 12:52 AM
Enough reasons for you?

Not at the moment, because without the option of switching barrel rolls to the input one finds most comfortable, the entirety of this debate circles back to a contest pitting those that can do them against those that can't, for whatever their reasons. As an analog user, your argument is legitimate, but then it becomes a contest of does one adapt to using the direction pad to solve his problems, offer the option of remapping one's controls, or have the method of input changed entirely?

The only half-way point in this contest is to offer the player the option of remapping his controls for that purpose as you say. That I could live with as a d-pad user who takes no issue with barrel rolls, but we need to remind ourselves that barrel rolls themselves aren't the problem. Those in your position need to make up your minds about what you want -- either you want them removed or you want an easier means of executing them given your preference for the analog stick. I could probably say one thing with some certainty -- of the nearly 2,300 members here, I know of only two people that use or have used non-Negcon analog -- yourself and Lunar, and as far as I recall, Lunar holds the same opinion on barrel rolls that you do; you're in the minority.

I understand this about your position -- as an analog user you want to equal the playing field with respect to barrel rolls. I'm not sure how switching input to the airbrakes for those would serve to do that, because I can see there still being a disparity in the number of rolls landed using the airbrakes versus those using the d-pad. Barrel rolling d-pad users will likely succeed more frequently, causing them to come out on top in the long run. I find it hard enough to land barrel rolls on the first jump on Vineta K; I could only imagine how much more difficult it would be to do so with the airbrakes.

But I personally think switching the barrel rolls to the airbrakes would kill off the fine mid-air control I've become used to. The direction pad simply can't cut it for the kind of last second mid-air maneuvers a hotlapper might be familar with boosting out of the Synchro loop on Talon White into the bend, or on Metropia Black, into the bend. For example. In those cases, I use the airbrakes in mid-air to avoid slamming into the walls. That's one major functional tradeoff I can think of if barrel rolls were on the airbrakes. To solve that tradeoff, track design would have to ensure there are no instances where there are sharp inclines that ultimately lead to bends like in Talon White and Metropia Black. Frankly, those tracks would not at all flow smoothly because, in my experience, the direction pad doesn't afford the hard turning response of mid-air braking and I sure as hell don't want Wipeout turning into a Mortal Kombat-style combo fest just to link a turn into a barrel roll if I elect to use the airbrake for hard mid-air turns. We must consider the repercussions of such changes, things that could conceivably alter the core gameplay for the worst.

- F

DawnFireDragoon
6th October 2008, 01:57 AM
here are a couple of things, besides more tracks, options yada yada:

1. eliminator

2. removal of the weird pause in the countdown, after playing single player, this is confusing and odd: 3,2,1......massive pause......go!

klax75
6th October 2008, 02:48 AM
We have been saying this would be optional, for people that want to use the buttons not the stick to barrel roll. You prefer the current method and thats great. But why can't there be choices in control methods. Instead of my way or no way. Every points seems to be that, because you like the controls that shouldn't ever change, and that is the only way it should ever be.

For me I've never liked Barrel Rolls at all. It's like some racing games, that have short cuts to the tracks I hate those to, since the short cut comes down to being the only way to do the track, taking away from the game for me. So if you have want to do any sort of quick laps, you have to spam barrel rolls.

All my posts have been about the PS3 version of WipeOut and this thread is for the HD version. Why is it wrong to have multiple ways to control your craft? Sure not everyone is going to like using the air brake Left, Right Left for Barrel rolls. But the choice should be there.

I have played several times in WOHD that I go to do a barrel roll and nothing at all happens. I quickly whip the ponies yet nothing. Then in the same practice, I do the sticks not nearly as fast and I do a barrel roll when I didn't want it to.

metalpancake
6th October 2008, 07:43 AM
An idea I would quite like to see implemented in the future along with a team online function would be to have a split screen team online feature.

This would mean that two players playing in split screen would be able to play as a two player team online. You would be able to easily discuss tactics with your teammate as they would be sitting close to you.

Races could be conducted with up to four (or more if hardware and servers allowed) and in tournaments the points earned by each player during the race would be added to that of the teammate.

The players could also be made immune to weapon attacks from teamates, or a penalty system could be introduced for such attacks.

crushedlizard
6th October 2008, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see a skin creator like in Pulse. I loved that, particularly online. the grids always looked different.
I'm not sure how large the texture files are and whether it would affect online play much, but I would have thought it possible?

eLhabib
6th October 2008, 09:27 PM
Well, regarding skins, look at this (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipEout%20HD/Assegai_TPKopie.jpg) and this (http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipEout%20HD/Piranha_TP2Kopie.jpg). Quite understandable that they're not giving the possibility to alter skins to the player, don't you think? This is a bit more delicate than the Pulse skins, after all ;)

crushedlizard
6th October 2008, 10:07 PM
wicked eLhabib, where did you get those? I know what you mean, they are obviously more complicated, but no more than the average flight sim.

I think it'd really personalise online races. I know I spent ages on a red Assegai skin on pulse. Making little scraches and scuffs... I was at uni so had far too much free time :g

Lance
6th October 2008, 10:49 PM
CL, I don't know if you've seen the post yet, but our member, 'Egg' [Jon Egleton] is the creator of the racecraft designs for HD, and has said that there will be no skin editor for this game because, IIRC, the skin textures are too complex, and the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.

love9sick
6th October 2008, 10:58 PM
Elimination and Zone modes online. Also the ability to choose the amount of laps for single race and tournaments would be appreciated. Some more customizing for online would be great like limiting the race to only missiles for example...just to always change things up a bit.

Balrog
7th October 2008, 12:56 AM
the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.
IIRC from the 1Up interview, in the order of 400,000 :dizzy

JABBERJAW
7th October 2008, 04:17 AM
the speed of the game is considerable faster than pure. sebenco is about 12 seconds faster for phantom with similar races. I have been playing pure, pulse, and hd all on the tv, and that is probably where it might look slower to everyone playing right on the psp. I believe it moves a little faster than pulse, but someone needs to test this out on moa therma to get a real comparison since metropia has been changed

Mad-Ice
7th October 2008, 05:41 AM
Hi Al, I did some TTs on Moa Therma and I think HD is slower than Pulse. And certainly slower than Pulse with speedmod. In the ghosts thread I already said that HD is faster then Pure, just look at the SL and TT times of Vineta K from everyone.

So HD would improve with more speed for me, at least a bit more faster than Pulse!

Egg
7th October 2008, 09:21 AM
CL, I don't know if you've seen the post yet, but our member, 'egg' [Jon Egleton] is the creator of the racecraft designs for HD, and has said that there will be no skin editor for this game because, IIRC, the skin textures are too complex, and the number of polygons involved is too great for a usable skin editor to be practical.

I didn't build and texture the HD models, though (apart from the first 'pass' on the Assegai and Auricom). They're just based on my blocky old Pulse designs. The Pulse ships were created from the ground up with a regimented texture layout, specifically with customisation in mind. There was never any intention of customising the HD ships - it would've added more development time to what was a very short project, in PS3 terms - so Rob, Dave and Dean were free to lay their textures out however they wanted.

captaingrim
7th October 2008, 10:33 AM
IIRC from the 1Up interview, in the order of 400,000 :dizzy

Woah there neddy... Try 40,000 instead!

I've notice that some graphical effects are gone from the PSP versions. The main one for me is when coming out of a tunnel that there is a burst of brightness then normalizes. Or going in to the tunnel it is slightly dark, then adjust to normal.

The effect that you're describing is called tone mapping. HD does do this, but it can be a little subtle in places so you've probably just not noticed it :)

Virtical
7th October 2008, 12:47 PM
I really miss eliminator mode, it was great fun in Wo3, airbraking while youre ahead just so you could blast off a few rockets into the poor, unsuspecting sucker that flys infront of you! :D

Also, i agree with eLhabib on the BR controls, many a time, i find myself trying to pitch the controller up while mashing the d-pad and steering my ship into a wall when i hit the ground, an option to tie them to the airbrakes would be great :)

Axel
7th October 2008, 02:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with adding another way to do BR. The current method for me ain't good since I use stick. But the the ability to use both the R1 and L1 buttons since i don;t even use them. Yes I don't use the mic as well :)

Lance
7th October 2008, 03:57 PM
I didn't build and texture the HD models, though (apart from the first 'pass' on the Assegai and Auricom). They're just based on my blocky old Pulse designs. The Pulse ships were created from the ground up with a regimented texture layout, specifically with customisation in mind. There was never any intention of customising the HD ships - it would've added more development time to what was a very short project, in PS3 terms - so Rob, Dave and Dean were free to lay their textures out however they wanted.

Avoiding hubristic behaviour is a wonderful thing, but you're excessively modest. The ship designs`shapes`forms are still basically your work. :)
Good on ya for trying to give credit where credit is due, but don't short yourself on due credit, either.

klax75
7th October 2008, 08:49 PM
The effect that you're describing is called tone mapping. HD does do this, but it can be a little subtle in places so you've probably just not noticed it :)

Probably never noticed then, since that track in Pulse is set in very sunny clear blue sky afternoon. I kind of miss that version of it. Oh well.

Hi Al, I did some TTs on Moa Therma and I think HD is slower than Pulse. And certainly slower than Pulse with speedmod. In the ghosts thread I already said that HD is faster then Pure, just look at the SL and TT times of Vineta K from everyone.

So HD would improve with more speed for me, at least a bit more faster than Pulse!

I got to thinking about the speed issues. And for me it is realistic. Because if you look at the, info for Pure it is set in 2197 in the FX300 League, Pulse is set in the year 2207 FX400 League. Where as HD is actually in between them in the year 2206 FX350 League. Which is called the Developmental League. So it makes sense to me, that it might actually be slower, since it is a testing ground league, for the world stage of FX400.

That also brings me to another point people have talked about how the performance for each craft is different, again I have no problem with this. If anyone has ever followed Formula One for example you can see how a difference in even one season car development can be from the previous season. Each craft in WipeOut is different now, not a stock chassis, so we assume that each company is building a new model for every league, but sometimes a newer model doesn't mean better performance. Maybe the "AG-FIA" (Hehehe) says that have to make a new model for each league, can't use last years. Not to mention any rule changes in out virtual AG racing universe.

Tekkenizer
7th October 2008, 11:25 PM
regarding Design:
- alternative background themes would be great
- alternative background music (like in pulse)
- possibility of playlistmixing like in pulse (custom and original tracks)
- the 321 countdown is quite boring / doesnt fit somehow imo (imo!)
- start / finishline is not visible enough in some tracks (like in Vineta K)

regarding Extras:
- i miss those stats, too
- i like the "profileview @onlinerankings" suggestion mentioned here before. For comparison purpose etc.
- replay mode with telemetry data would be great
- skin creator (despite the complexitiy it is asked for ;)
- ship editor :g (may be more complex than creating skins, but it would be great)

regarding Modes:
- Eliminator
- more options for online mode

Someone mentioned a 2 player splitcreen online mode. But if u think about it, you may come to conclusion that this wouldnt function properly- cause of the following reasons imo:
- at the moment there can only be one player signed in at the PSN per console (so how to register the second player?)
- 2 players online per console would mean to synchronise 2 players with the only connection u have. That would mean to manage code for 2 players with singleconnection:robot

klax75
8th October 2008, 12:53 AM
Couple of things I just thought of for new features.

Ship Mag-Lock: This could have a small duration and a longer cool down. Track Mag-Lock would still be there, but Ship Mag-Lock would be for sections of the track that are tubes, so you could turn in on, and go upside down to pass people. While engaged, you can't use any weapons.

Track Variations: Not just reverse tracks. Short, Default and Long versions of tracks. Where a short version maybe pushing lap times in the teens with Phantom, the long version maybe close to a minute per lap. So parts of the original tracks are there.

Craft Variations: I was thinking how there are 4 speed classes, why not have the craft in each class look different. Not drastically, so you can still tell who made the ship and that teams style. For Example a AG-Systems Venom, will not have as much wings, and down force as a AG-Systems Phantom version. This would play in to as in real racing a F3, GP2 and a F1 car all are open. They look similar but different. Where F3 and GP2 are lower leagues to get in to F1 kind of thing. Phantom would be the most advanced looking ship, most down force, the most venting and engines.

Advanced Ghost Lap: This feature would have telemetry, but also racing line, and air brake braking points. There could be one green line, for your racing line, and a gradient of color, on each side of the line to represent the use of a air brake and what side it was used and the length of the line for how long it was use.

GameKyuubi
8th October 2008, 03:49 AM
I'd like to be able to view the leaderboards from a computer sorta like Pulse's.

Skvall
8th October 2008, 11:03 AM
at the moment there can only be one player signed in at the PSN per console (so how to register the second player?)

When you play more than one online in Little Big Planet you can either login as a guest or to another PSN account. So that should not be a problem at all.
And if it where, just let the 2nd player play as "Guest" or the same nick as player 1 but with a number added to it.

2 players online per console would mean to synchronise 2 players with the only connection u have. That would mean to manage code for 2 players with singleconnection:robot

Then how can you play more than one online in other games? =P

Egg
8th October 2008, 11:58 AM
- ship editor :g (may be more complex than creating skins ...)
... and the reward for 'understatement of the decade' goes to ...

Let's face it, building your own ship (and its stats) has never been part of the Wipeout experience, apart from the beefing-up feature in Fusion - which usually resulted in fleets of flying potatoes.

I think Clemens nailed it in the 1up video, when talking about giving users a Track Creation Tool. It's just not something we'll be handing over to the player anytime soon, mainly because of all the testing and balancing issues.

vx69
8th October 2008, 12:04 PM
I think if you do a barrel roll in zone mode it shouldn't take any ship health and give you zone points instead, make it a risk reward system like the speed pads.

darkfaerytales
8th October 2008, 02:49 PM
an option to choice the number of contenders up to 12
an option to choice the lap numbers as another our mate has pointed up would be nice

since a skin editor is impossible as we know from before the date of release , simple add some skin packs would be nice

some download contect would make an already perfect and amazing game even better

captain howdy
8th October 2008, 04:58 PM
1) stop the host changing speed setting in existing rooms
This is just wrong! if you want to race at a higher speed quit the room and join another, only thing this does is freak out/annoy everyone else there.

3) add text chat to lobby
lots of times i want to say awesome race, or i'll start when we get another person, or whatever. some means of communication would be nice.
I agree with these. In the first case, it might be nice if there weren't a speed choice in the settings at all; rather, four different speed lobbies.

And being without a headset, I frequently try to send messages to people in between races. But the way it's set up in the XMB, it takes forever, especially if all you're using is a gamepad -- I recently bought a $10 USB keyboard because of this and it still takes longer to send a message than I would like it to. What's worse is bringing up the XMB while races are loading seems to bring out bugs every now and then. I would love a lobby text chat as well as text chat in-between races at the results screen.

EDIT:

I think if you do a barrel roll in zone mode it shouldn't take any ship health and give you zone points instead, make it a risk reward system like the speed pads.
This is a great idea. Or even let it take off ship health, just not as much -- a speed boost is enough of a risk... it seems weird for it to only exist in zone mode as a self-penalizing move.

mdhay
8th October 2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, Zone mode is the equivalent of pulling the pin out of a grenade, but throwing the pin.

bazookajoe1
8th October 2008, 10:39 PM
I think they should give us an option to turn off barrel rolls in zones. when i get to around zone 45 i always unintentionally do a barrel roll on Anulpha Pass. I am barely moving the stick but I do a barrel roll anyway. It pisses me off so much. It happens on the drop off every time. Each lap i lose at least 15 health because of those barrel rolls.

klax75
9th October 2008, 04:21 PM
I was thinking of more features I'd like to see.

Lap Number: For me the races are two incredible short, with no chance of fighting back and making up lost times, since the race will be over before then. One race on the start I hit the "Go" turbo yet the guy in front of me had lag or something and didn't move. So I got pin-balled backwards, effectively race over, since there wasn't enough time to make up the lost time. I'd love to be able to set the number of laps in a race. I've done the 99 lap speed lap several times. Having a 20-30 lap race would be great.

Speed Lap/Qualifying: For qualifications so they aren't just random. To be able to have a qualifying session. Now this session would be limited to 3 laps. All competitors would be on the track on at a time. The difference to a normal race, that all pilots would be a Ghost to each other so you can have a clean track to yourself, yet are on the track with all the other pilots. Since everyone is a ghost to each other you would be able to see each other lines see them on the track. Only giving 3 laps your best time would be your position for the start of the race. When setting up a tournament you would have a option to have qualifying or not, if you choose to. Then every track would automatically have the qualifying session before the start of the race.

Weapon Selection: A menu to start what weapons you want to spawn on track, each weapon could have a check box. So you can mix and match or just have default all weapons. Maybe I only want machine guns, and bombs. Or just Rockets only.

mdhay
9th October 2008, 07:34 PM
Quake only lol.:lol

lunar
9th October 2008, 08:55 PM
:lol I think you have found the obvious flaw in the weapon selection idea.

mdhay
9th October 2008, 09:27 PM
Heh, soon enough 7 year olds will be banned from carpet shops.:p

GameKyuubi
9th October 2008, 10:33 PM
I'd like to see some sort of Elimination-meets-Zone lovechild. Like a multiplayer Zone mode except with weapons maybe. How the change in Zone affects each player could be interesting. Mostly because I think Elimination mode is silly as is.

rdmx
10th October 2008, 09:30 AM
Zone Knockout in which 8 contenders play a normal zone match. However, after zone 10, the person with the lowest score is eliminated, and every 5 zones another person bites the dust. Blowing up through lack of shield works normally as it does. It's a game of risk vs reward. Do you go for that boost pad for precious points and risk hitting the wall?

Scoring might need to be changed to suit.

Larikun
10th October 2008, 02:55 PM
What I'd like to see honestly in this game is last.fm support, you may call me crazy but I do keep around 150 mp3's in my playlist ready to go for racing and zone, gotta keep it fresh else I might go insane in the middle of a race. Only reason I want last.fm support is because now my last.fm profile looks like I haven't listened to any music in a few days hah, can call me vain if you like... but it's the truth.

BentoBako
11th October 2008, 06:59 PM
Gunbound-like Lobby.

I hate it how it can sometimes take 10 mins to find a nice room online due to the immense amounts of afk hosts....

Lance
12th October 2008, 03:35 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "afk" mean? I'm sure it should be obvious, but I'm not properly awake yet, though even if I were, I'm not sure that would make any difference! ;)

meebs
12th October 2008, 03:48 PM
I love that you can bring in your own Audio (I have all of the old Cold Storage tracks in a playlist), but it would be great if you could include the default tracks with your play list as a mode. I love the default tracks as well.

1. Default
2. Playlist
3. Default + Playlist

G'Kyl
12th October 2008, 03:53 PM
Lance, afk = away from keyboard. The worst kind of host you can get. ;)

Lance
12th October 2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Ben. Yep, it was obvious and I should have understood. I've been too long away from chat, and caffeine hadn't kicked in yet. Could be the senility, too, I guess. ;)

Soccermom
13th October 2008, 12:53 AM
Like many others, I also miss the ability to do written chat both in the lobby and in between races in Tournaments. For me, the excitement of racing online is closely linked to being able to communicate with the people I am racing against - and I find that that specific social component simply doesn't work in WOHD.
I haven't played Wipeout since fusion, so right now all the tracks and eye-candy will be keeping me busy for the next month, but long term the online component is what will keep me playing. I want to be able to somehow connect/relate to the people I meet online... I want to be able to chat about racing, work, other games, cars, books, movies etc... otherwise, I might as well be racing an AI (that usually is much better than me :D).
Why Sony hasn't figured out how important communication is in online gaming is beyond my imagination. And I still don't understand why a headset is not bundled with every PS3 sold. Or why they haven't put money on the table and bought ventrilo, teamspeak or some other provider of low bandwidth multichat software.

blackwiggle
13th October 2008, 07:58 AM
I'd like to see a proximity alert that you could adjust sensitivity.

What I mean by that is,when your in cockpit mode you can't see who is coming up behind or beside you unless you hit the rear view control,which can throw you right out of line and into a wall.

When your in Close or Far view you don't suffer that to the same extent.

So if you had a proximity alert for the rear of your craft,you could basically do away with the need for rear view.

And have it adjustable so you could set it to .5 or 1 or 1.5 craft distance from yours.

It would certainly even things up in the ramming department if Cockpit view is your preferred way of playing.

eLhabib
13th October 2008, 08:51 AM
There is a proximity sensor, y'know? It's that lower arc in the middle bottom of the standard HUD, even gives you 4 levels of proximity (I think each line is 25 metres).

oggob
13th October 2008, 10:33 AM
Having read what alot of people have said, there are some really good ideas...

However, am hoping that WipEout HD was/is simply a Beta... Everything built witin the game was to get the game engine working smoothly... test out the online code... etc... etc... Like the WipEout Gods have sheepishly said... Alot of telemetery for this game is being collected... online habits, favourites, etc...

They will hear the major concerns, they'll get addressed and minor tweaks to ship stats here or there will see a Full Blown Retail title (with pretty much all new content) will hit around this time next year...

I'll call it... so make it happen in 384 Days Time... GO!!! :D

Amon
13th October 2008, 10:40 AM
I hate it how it can sometimes take 10 mins to find a nice room online due to the immense amounts of afk hosts....

Since i don't want to believe to people doing it on purpose, i think this happens because people don't realize they're the host. Not when they are the ones who create races of course.

But when the original host leaves, one of the other pilots becomes the host.

I think that that process is not much visible for some. So they become the host not knowing it, and don't' know they have the responsability to start the race.

It could be a good idea to make this process more visible ( in a graphical way ).

rdmx
13th October 2008, 11:00 AM
The 'start race' button should pulse for the host. It will ruin some of the minimalistic design but it's worth it in the long run.

blackwiggle
13th October 2008, 02:11 PM
There is a proximity sensor, y'know? It's that lower arc in the middle bottom of the standard HUD, even gives you 4 levels of proximity (I think each line is 25 metres).

I've been using the 2097 HUD since it became an option,completely forgot about the new HUD.

I just noticed what you mean after trying it out,nice one...easy to read as well.

I never found that little moving arrow in WO3 much use, as it's information always seemed vague.

love9sick
14th October 2008, 05:01 PM
Custom Bill board! lol...I want to see REd Bull and Cold Storage on bill boards as I am racing again. :lol

I would like more control over the music on the menu, that song in the menu is getting old.

Nadia Elenova
15th October 2008, 08:16 AM
To be able to find where your friends are playing online, not only if they host a game.

And SKIN EDITOR! eLhabib, those skin just make me want it even more! :+

darkfaerytales
15th October 2008, 02:36 PM
i think skin editor won't happen easily as crob or someone else of SL has stated...sadly

but i still think night and days variants aren't so hard to do, if it has been implemented in burn out and it run at 60 frames as HD, why HD can't? just immage some tracks at night time :eek

what's mind if the game weights 3 gb instead of 1 after????;)

captain howdy
15th October 2008, 08:19 PM
To be able to find where your friends are playing online, not only if they host a game.
Actually, you can already do this (sorta). It's one of the filter options. If you check it to "Friends", it'll show you all of the open rooms that contain your friends.

Skvall
15th October 2008, 08:53 PM
captain howdy: Isnt that only if they are the host?

imo Sony should put a "join game"-button directly into the friendlist of XMB. So you can see what friends are playing, and join it, without even have a game started.

jmoid
15th October 2008, 09:19 PM
A couple of things came up in the "racing etiquette" thread in the pilots' lounge that I think are really good ideas.

Firstly, if you quit a race, or at least if you quit a tournament, there should be a delay on getting into another race, for the purpose of deterring quitting. It's so annoying when you end up with three people out of the eight that started a tournament after the second race, just because a few got bored. Don't start if you don't want to race to the end.

Secondly, I'd like a delay on starting races after changing options. People changing the track or class then starting a race immediately, in order to get opponents in the wrong ship or on a track they don't like, seems to be a widespread problem. Delay the start for thirty seconds or so and have a message saying "HOST HAS CHANGED OPTIONS."

I can't take credit for those, btw, I just copied them from the thread...

Another thing that annoys me a bit is the way the ships move sideways slightly after being hit by a weapon - the reason being that you end up coming off the track and ending up instantly in last place. It's happened to me a few times, and I've ended up doing it accidentally to some opponents online.

lunar
15th October 2008, 09:41 PM
Seconded those ideas about quitting-penalties and the lobbies, even though I think I already seconded them elsewhere. :)

I would also like to have clearer info about what the new options are once they have been changed. If a Single Race lobby has been changed into a Tournament, I`d like to know at a glance (in list format) how many races there will be and which tracks I`ll be racing on. If the information is clear and quick to read, then the pause before the game can be launched won`t have to be long.

Lance
15th October 2008, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't it be simpler to disallow any changes once the host set up and okayed the configuration?

Axel
16th October 2008, 07:41 AM
Well the problem with that Lance is that people may request for a change. Having to create a new game to change the type of race would be annoying. but I have had the problem where someone quickly started a game putting me in a Feisa while he was flying a Icaras. Beat his ass though :P

borell
16th October 2008, 08:07 AM
Firstly, if you quit a race, or at least if you quit a tournament, there should be a delay on getting into another race, for the purpose of deterring quitting. It's so annoying when you end up with three people out of the eight that started a tournament after the second race, just because a few got bored. Don't start if you don't want to race to the end.

Fine with me, as long as a solution of this kind does not involve false positives—which I guess would be really annoying for the victims.

Secondly, I'd like a delay on starting races after changing options. People changing the track or class then starting a race immediately, in order to get opponents in the wrong ship or on a track they don't like, seems to be a widespread problem. Delay the start for thirty seconds or so and have a message saying "HOST HAS CHANGED OPTIONS."

I wish this had been implemented in Pulse already.

rushin
16th October 2008, 08:37 AM
its been mentioned before but as a specific solution to hosts not starting have a 10s auto start when room is full and everyone has picked a ship?

Really hope also we can get some kind of ranking system in place soon, and ranked races where the rooms auto populate, a problem at least with rapier at the moment is that there will be 3 or 4 tournies set up and all with 2/8 or 3/8 - they just sit there for 5 minutes with ppl swapping between and not filling up efficently.. It's frustrating because there are enough ppl waiting to race just in different places..

lunar
16th October 2008, 09:08 AM
Agree about rankings, Rushin, let`s hope we get something. I think this will be needed to keep people playing Wipeout HD in the long term, and could also be used as a stick to beat quitters until they change their ways. :mr-t

I think quitting would also be reduced if people didn`t end up in long tours they weren`t expecting. The information before a race isn`t clear and you don`t always know when things have changed unless you`re focussing on that little box to the left, which people don`t always do.

Options changing isn`t always bad. Kanar`s Avalon sessions work very well with him changing the track after every 2 or 3 single races on the same one. There`s no need for a long delay after one track change like this, as you often have quality hosts like Kanar running a great room with a sequence of single races. This could be ruined if the lobby shut down or the race was always held up for too long after options changes. But if SR changes to tournament, or the speed class changes, or if the host changes the options too often, then there should definitely be some sort of delay to give people time to get out or change ship. If we do get rankings then mechanisms like this will definitely be needed, imo.

@Axel, yes this is very annoying, but in most cases I think it`s mostly just that and if someone thinks "tricking" other players, rather than practising, is the way to win races then they`re mistaken I think. :)

eLhabib
16th October 2008, 10:04 AM
Well how about this: everytime the host changes the options, all the players in the lobby get a message containing what has been changed, and two options (actual buttons to press): ACCEPT or LEAVE. The host can start the game with the new options as soon as everyone has selected one or the other. No timed delay there, and if you're not fine with the new options, you can leave instantly, without a chance of the host starting before you've had the chance to leave.

lunar
16th October 2008, 10:30 AM
I think that idea is good. The only drawback I can think of is that somebody might make no selection to the message, and keep the process hanging. I think you would still need a timer on the selection message you suggested, and after, say, 15 seconds the race starts anyway and a player is kicked from the game if he hasn`t made a selection. Better that than keeping them in and having them on the start line while afk. But delays would still be not seen in many cases, such as a room that`s working well where everyone is on the same page and wants to get on with the next race - like a WZ room. Everyone would just press x and get on with the racing.

eLhabib
16th October 2008, 12:28 PM
good points.
SL, read this, then make it real! ;)

Asayyeah
16th October 2008, 02:59 PM
Brilliant guys , brilliant ! that would work better in the way you suggested Martin & Stephen.

JABBERJAW
16th October 2008, 06:11 PM
Allow the host to time trial while waiting for some people to enter his tourney or race, flash someone has entered the room on the screen, then you can leave the tt

dobyblue
16th October 2008, 06:32 PM
Am I missing somewhere in online mode where you can see the number of tracks the host has selected?
I can see speed, race type, # of players currently joined, etc., but I'd really like to know whether I'm getting into a 4-race tourney or a 12-race tourney.

crawdad62
17th October 2008, 12:07 AM
I noticed today while in a tourney that the tracks scrolled (rather changed) showing the various tracks in the tournament. It showed in the box 1/4, 2/4 etc. which was the number of tracks in the 4 track tournament.

I assume that's what you're after. I rarely play tournaments. This should also be available when on the screen in the lobby. I notice they changed tracks too.

klax75
17th October 2008, 06:32 AM
Two more features I'd like to see. I know this strays from the WipeOut theme but 12 racers on a track instead of 8.

I really, really want to be able to change the lap numbers. I want to do 30 lap, non-weapons races. Since there is no weapons there is no way to repair your ship during a race, so driving cafeful becomes extremely important.

G'Kyl
17th October 2008, 06:53 AM
I noticed today while in a tourney that the tracks scrolled (rather changed) showing the various tracks in the tournament.

Yes, and it's taking ages to recognize any possible changes with that slowly scrolling thing. ;) To me, the point of making all the changes obvious the instant they happen is probably the most important one.

Ben

lunar
17th October 2008, 09:16 AM
I think dobyblue is talking about seeing how many tracks in the online tour before it starts. I think at the moment you have to wait until after the first race to see how many races there will be. I think this could be improved. Many people wouldn`t want a 12 race tour when we have time constraints (like needing sleep). But personally I hate to quit a tour. I`d like to see full information about online races be quicker and easier to read. At the moment it looks great, but isn`t as useful as it could be.

rdmx
17th October 2008, 09:45 AM
It does show how many races there are in the tournament in the lobby, but it looks like it's truncated for low-resolution TVs.

lunar
17th October 2008, 10:29 AM
Then please, SL, take pity on us poor country-dwellers who have to spend our hard-earned pennies on feeding, clothing and educating our children instead of swanky TVs ;)

jmoid
18th October 2008, 12:03 PM
Just remembered something... password protected games. If people were going to set up leagues and that kind of thing it'd be helpful.

Axel
18th October 2008, 05:28 PM
Hmmmm well you can allocate all the space in the room for your friends only you know. So password protected games aren't really needed

REZED
18th October 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm am oldie. I have not played wipeout since 2097. I bought a ps3 for wipeout HD alone. mgs4 was a bonus but pc's are my thing mainly.
The thing i miss most is the cornering from 2097. It was possible to swing into the corner then press the other air break to do a sideways skid to clear the corner. It made the speed feeling all the better.
I'm also in the camp for getting rid of the barrel roll. its a wreck the head to have to squeeze them in as often as possible. phantom speed with weapons is fun enough. barrel rolls suck.
But all in all Wipeout HD rocks. I play on my highdef 90" projection screen with my kef 2001's, black out blinds and a big **** off couch. what a buzz!!

Asayyeah
18th October 2008, 07:00 PM
welcome aboard REZED :)

Allow the host to time trial while waiting for some people to enter his tourney or race, flash someone has entered the room on the screen, then you can leave the tt
I know where you come from : maximising time allowed to play : not much time so a duo TT while waiting for other 'partners' to join is a brilliant idea : i second that

REZED
19th October 2008, 12:17 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested but how about the host being able to set a count down timer so all the other players know approximately when the race will start. This saves the mind numbing wait for the host to start the race. has any one said anything like this "ah he will start it at 5 players.. ok 6.... come on you prick start the fecken race... ok maybe 7.... no.. for god sake start the fu*king race" and at that point two other players leave due to boredom.
It seams to me that there is a lot of surfing going on. I do it meself, looking for a tourney at the right speed and a good few players. If players could look and see a count down timer they could log in and go do something else for a while. the games would fill up faster as well cos we can get what we want and know when we will get it!!
I play late at night in Ireland and i'll tell you the players get few and far between sometimes. I end up playing U.S servers to get players.

pildog
19th October 2008, 09:08 AM
I've had this game since its release, my only prior experience with Wipeout was Wipeout 64, which was tough, and Wipeout Fusion, which I hated.

Some to the best improvements are the simplest. Many of these have been mentioned before.

A CHIME when a player enters a game.

An ANTHEM when the player roster is full and maybe a voice stating as such.

Again a warning that you've just been passed the ball to start the game when the original host has dropped out.

At the end of the game I'd love for gold, silver and bronze medals to be awarded to those that deserve it... sometimes the scoreboard is up so briefly I don't even see where I come in the rankings (normally near the bottom:lol)

The ability to set the number of laps in a single race, maybe up to a maximum of 30 or so... I think 99 laps would be too much for most people; just too long.

The ability to set every odd or even level as weapons off.

Again in tournament, the ability to set the number of laps, maybe to a maximum of 9.

True Elimination: If you're eliminated from a track, you're out (and enter an observer mode). Either the first player over the line wins, or the last surviving player.

Remove Autopilot from the weapon roster in online play.

Fasty
19th October 2008, 10:06 AM
*snip*
The thing i miss most is the cornering from 2097. It was possible to swing into the corner then press the other air break to do a sideways skid to clear the corner. It made the speed feeling all the better.*snip*

This is exactly what I was about to say! In my opinion they haven't got this right since it was perfected in 2097. You used to be able to grind along the sides without losing much speed if your angle of impact wasn't too great, and if you tilted your nose up on hard turns you could grind around them which was awesome fun. Now I find myself grinding to a halt with even the slightest bump against the edges. Very disappointing. I hope someone reads this and alters it for the next version!!

REZED
19th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Very disappointing. I hope someone reads this and alters it for the next version!![/QUOTE]

Lets all hope they fix it NOW. We all now live in the days of game updates!!
I just wonder if it is possible to get that kind of game play out of a game engine that was written for trucks, cars and karts (moterstorm). Maybe the physics engine can't go that far!

Fasty
19th October 2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I would personally LOVE for them to fix it now, but to be fair then everyone's lap times and online records would be sort of screwed up and incongruent, and I'm sure there are some pedantic people out there who would care about that sort of thing :P

REZED
19th October 2008, 12:07 PM
True. True.
Something has to be done about the online thing though. The interface lacks personality big time. Another thought, the filters can be set to any or 1. How about being able to set minimum speeds and players. So you can filter for rapier or phantom with 5 or more players. That is something that can be fixed very easy.

Crob
19th October 2008, 03:41 PM
...since it was perfected in 2097. You used to be able to grind along the sides without losing much speed...

Some of the vets on here might be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you actually gain speed by skimming walls in 2097 if you did it right?
(for the record, I didn't write the wall collision code in 2097... :) )

JABBERJAW
19th October 2008, 05:57 PM
yeah, you could get a little speed in the right places, but it certainly isn't easy, and has a high risk factor of hitting and stopping.

"Now I find myself grinding to a halt with even the slightest bump against the edges"

very odd that this would be the complaint. I find these last three games considerable easier than the first three as far as keeping you speed going. You rarely come to a complete stop in HD, except on very hard hits, where in xl you could only skim the walls. You should try sideshifting(shudders) off when you hit, or just immediately turn the other way. Most scrapes on this game allow you to keep moving fast as long as you nose isn't into the wall (I think this is the key). Have you entered any xl/2097 times?

Lance
19th October 2008, 06:27 PM
Some of the vets on here might be able to correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you actually gain speed by skimming walls in 2097 if you did it right?

Even more gain, perhaps, in WO3, but since that was done by Leeds Studio, I'm guessing you didn't write that routine either, Chris. ;) :D

REZED
19th October 2008, 06:35 PM

Well Crob I'm not sure if you are involved in HD but if you are I want to say congrats to you and the rest of the gang. Its a cracker of a game..
The reason I log on this site the other night is because in my opinion wipeout is the best racing game EVER. I'm a big kid of 31 years and since 2097 I have longed for the Ultimate version of wipeout and I have to say its nearly there. I bought the ps3 for wipeout alone for god sake. But the feeling of speed in HD misses something that was in 2097. The rush I used to get from hoofing around a track at stupid speeds and being able to hold the line was a feeling I NEVER got from any other game EVER!! So the point about the handling and skidding around a corner is far more important then the skimming walls and stuff. I was never one for cheating even if its legit and i was never good enough to do it anyway.
All I really want is the Best racer to get better. So in my opinion HD's handling is missing something. I have a good idea of physics and aircraft and I know that with the airbrakes wipeout craft should be able to turn sideways and even do 180's and jet back to stop. Wipeout 2097 had this feeling to some extent but HD drives like a very light, very fast, very nimble CAR. Not an aircraft.
I MISS IT!!
That being said there are loads of things that I would not change about HD. I think the weapons are a blast. I love the bomb. IN high def and 5.1 it rocks. The graphics are so sweet looking. Multi player feels better. The damage is a bit of an issue but there is far more chance that you will be blasting the sh1t out of someone. In 2097 you might never even see the other player for the whole race.
Oh one more point. Are the weapon pads random or what?? I find i can sometimes go a full lap and all the pads will be off as i pas them. If you meet a pad when its off and stay at a set speed they will all be off. Its gets to be a bit of a pisser after a while. Try and make them FULLY random if possible.

Fasty
20th October 2008, 12:48 AM
Oh right REZED, I think we must be talking about two different aspects. I agree with yours too though.

Crob I don't recall being able to speed up by skidding against the walls. I just miss being able to grind around corners and skimming against walls without being punished. Awesome game by the way, the reason I bought a ps3 as well!!!

JABBERJAW not long ago I was racing against a friend in HD and it was pretty much neck a neck. I forgot I was playing HD and not 2097 and expected that a slight grind along the edge wouldn't affect me much, however I found myself grinding to almost a complete stop. Yeah, I could have sidestepped away or whatever, but grinding is so much FUN!! :D:D:D I miss it :( And no, I've never entered any times, why do you ask?

DawnFireDragoon
20th October 2008, 02:43 PM
i agree with the above that 2097 handeling, with said wall skimming in tact would improve HD no end, but it isn't gonna happen in HD as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, changing the games physics would be very difficult to do through an update or DLC. hopefully they'll work towards it for the next title.

it seems for most HD, is either brilliant or a 'step in the right direction' i'm in a minority who believe it is a 'small step' and needs some work to make me go 'oh i fancy playing HD' then be satisfied playing it, rather than sitting there thinking 'this isn't 2097 or 3 or pure really' which when i play them i'm really happy with the overall package.

drenath
20th October 2008, 03:23 PM
Another vote for 2097/XL scraping. Grinding to a stop is very punitive. I find myself overusing PA because I lose more speed grinding on walls than I do due to PA. The only "speed advantage" to scraping was that you could be a little less precise with 'shortest route' lines and not be punished for touching the wall.

Heck don't these ships have shields to push you away from it?

In fact I think these two are related. 2097/XL scraping should replace PA on the next title IMO.

Not only that but scraping was just COOL from a graphics/sound perspective.

OBH
20th October 2008, 04:35 PM
Mine are more aesthetic changes to be honest. I'm very happy with HD's mechanics.

Id mainly want the photo feature to be implemented a little more. For what is clearly a very well made feature of the game, it doesn't get it just deserves. A kind of automatic photo finish or 'moments of interest' would be nice. Just save it to the server like battlefield does it.

Only other thing that springs to mind is the ship model upgrades from fusion. 1 for each speed class would be excellent.

That and the weapon which reversed controls. My god that was nasty, but i loved it :D

drenath
20th October 2008, 05:09 PM
ship model upgrades from fusionDo you just mean the graphics? I thought that performance mods on the racecraft was very non-Wipeout.

Lance
20th October 2008, 05:27 PM
Yes, I would agree that upgrades are not consistent with fixed speed classes and therefore are non-WipEout in character.

The same could be said about damage effects.

Crob
20th October 2008, 06:47 PM
...grind around corners and skimming against walls without being punished.

Sure I agree 2097's wall grind was quite satisfying - but I think a maths error made it a little over generous! :)

DawnFireDragoon
20th October 2008, 11:02 PM
which made it awesome.

Fasty
20th October 2008, 11:28 PM
Sure I agree 2097's wall grind was quite satisfying - but I think a maths error made it a little over generous! :)

You mean the speed-up thing? I honestly can't remember being able to do that!

Another thing I was noticing last night while playing... shouldn't lifting your nose cushion your landing when you drop from a big height? Nothing I do seems to prevent me from hitting the ground hard and taking damage. I remember in 2097 lifting your nose sort of let you "float" down to an extent.

Just want to make it clear though that I understand that HD is a completely new game and it's awesome in its own right!

eLhabib
21st October 2008, 03:23 PM
Things that would improve HD: make Assegai not so ****ing light it gets pounded online :evil
Seriously, I was just having some sweet races with leungbok and Aka-sho, both of them using AG-SYS - which definitely is a very light ship, right? Well, guess what: they hammered through my little Assegai like it's not even there! I expect that when being rammed by a Triakis or Qirex, but AG-SYS? Come on, it's ramming through me like a freakin' tank. :(

EDIT: since when can't I say **** anymore? This is quite a letdown, really. Not because I like to swear or I like to hear (read) lots of cursing, but sometimes you just need to underline the severity of a problem, right? ;) And it made this place better that freedom of speech was still a given... :?

Lance
21st October 2008, 06:09 PM
It's a fuqqing outrage. I feel that we have been anally raped of our ability to express our true anger by some turdly piece-of-excrement vB-forum software created by some gutless namby-pamby politically correct hider-from-ferocious-little-mothers-of-teenagers who wish to avoid public accusations of corrupting their }sarcasm>innocent<sarcasm{ darling little children.

sigh. I am now totally bereft of the proper vocabulary to briefly and economically bitch. :g

drenath
21st October 2008, 06:42 PM
Actually the word filter is configurable in VB by Administrators. I'm an Admin on another site that runs VB and I had to disable it. We enjoy freedom of language now.

It replaces 'choice phrases' with whatever you want, asterisks, special characters, even pictures. In fact, that is also how smilies work.

Lance
21st October 2008, 06:45 PM
I see that you seem to have missed the irony of the remarks. :)

-----------------

BTW, I know what admins can do; I'm an admin on another forum that uses SMF software that has a configurable filter similar to that of the vB software. It has been left in a disabled state for nearly three years.

At an earlier period in the WZ forum, Rob/infoxicated had activated the word filter, but after a fairly brief period, disabled it again for several years, but due to a recent incident felt he should reinstate its use. He pays the bills and maintains the forum; it's his call.

drenath
21st October 2008, 06:53 PM
I had a hunch it was in irony but you can never be sure over the interaweb. Sorry about the quote thing and continuing the derail.

Lance
21st October 2008, 07:12 PM
:D I don't know if anyone reads the subject lines in posts, but my subject line for that one was "not a trace of irony in the following comment? [Lancepost number 7700]"

Yes, I can be an evil bastard. :evil :evil :evil :g

eLhabib
21st October 2008, 09:34 PM
Lance, don't get me wrong - I don't really care that I can't use certain vocabulary. I just find it sad that a tool like this must even exist, here of all places. (but I do understand why it's there now, and yes, since I don't pay any bills for this site - although I gladly would commit if asked - I won't be nagging 'bout it no more)

klax75
22nd October 2008, 12:48 AM
One thing I wish for is to be able to save tournament track layouts to use online and offline.

Lance
22nd October 2008, 01:19 AM
Martin, I didn't regard it as nagging; you were just noting a new variant on reality, and I was just making my own hopefully humorous comment [the first one of my posts on it] on that reality, too. Ultimately, cursewords cannot even come anywhere near the malevolence and intensity of perfectly 'proper' and well-chosen ferocious verbiage.

eLhabib
22nd October 2008, 10:16 AM
Even though I consider my understanding of the english language quite reasonable, it is not my native tongue, and it seems I sometimes miss the point of well-articulated posts (like yours usually are) by a country mile. Ah well...

I think I still haven't found the right words to express what exactly I think about swearword-filtering, maybe this: WipEoutZone always impressed me by actually allowing people the choice to use bad language, and still not being flooded by it. Speaks for the community, don't you think?

Lance
22nd October 2008, 03:44 PM
So, in other words, you're saying the WZ is more civilised than the average videogame forum, eh? :)

Indeed it is.

But I think we should probably get back to the subject of the thread. Dammit. :D

Avenger2197
23rd October 2008, 07:06 AM
So, I know this may be a tiny, tiny improvement, but sometimes I have the desire to see how much my record was beaten, or how far off I was right at the race screen:

i.e. Race Record x:xx.xx +/-x.xx sec.
Old Record x:xx.xx

As it stands right now there isn't any way to do it except to exit out of your race and go to the records section from the main menu. The problem with doing that is the times aren't in the order you did them sometimes. Sometimes I would like to know how much better I did, or how badly I sucked compared to my previous times. That way I can give it another go right then and there.

What do you guys think?

NeilSmith
23rd October 2008, 04:59 PM
These are just some of my wishes for the developers to add. Hopefully they recognize the importance of including more stuff to the game that the players have requested. I know alot of the stuff we wish for is not easy to do, and some are near damn impossible to add, but small changes\additions are sometimes all that's needed to add some longevity to the game. I know some of these have been mentioned before, but oh well.

Here we go;

* Elimination mode. This was my biggest dissapointment when I found out it was dropped from the game. Don't get me wrong, I love Wipeout HD and I really think it's an awesome game, especially at such a nice price but Elimination mode has been my favourite game mode since Wipeout 3. It requires different strategies than just racing which adds more fun and variation to the game. I really hope they patch it in at a later stage, or add it together with some DLC's. This would definately keep players active for longer.

* Ability to chat with other players in the online race lobby (ala Battle.net)
* Remove the option to change speed class settings in existing rooms or make the race-start countdown last longer
* Make bombs persistent, that way the player in the lead can still hit bombs that was dropped by players that are behind
* More trophies to give the player more challenges
* More stats like Pulse and Pure had both for online and campaign play
* Ability to spectate ghosts or other players aswell as upload ghosts directly from within the game
* Split screen for online races
* Country flags for scoreboards
* Ability to add description to a online race. That way it's easier to organize events and trophy accomplishments like Bling Brigade/AG Assassin etc.
* More customization to creating online races, ability to choose number of laps, turn off barrel rolls etc.
* More info about online opponents, if using headset, pilot assist, custom soundtrack, skin (that way it's easier to organize bling brigade races)
* Skin editor
* Alternative menu themes\colors as in Wipeout Pure
* Ability for host to kick players from a room aswell as add a better system for when a host leaves his game and host privilege is given to another player, too often the new host is idle for way too long and players start to leave. Just making sure the new host is notified properly would be a nice option addition aswell. I think a great way to go about this would be to have an announcer tell you if you're the new host, or if race options have changed.

Darkdrium777
23rd October 2008, 05:13 PM
Some of them I agree with, some of them are pipe dreams (Skin editor is impossible), but tell me why removing an option makes it better? I would much prefer the announcement that says ''Speed class setting has been changed'' and the host cannot start the race immediately.

NeilSmith
23rd October 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not for removing the option entirely, just make hosts unable to change speed class from within existing rooms. Your example would be a good solution aswell. I'd also like the start-timer to last longer than it does now, so that people can change aircrafts that suit the track before the host starts the game. You wouldn't believe how many times this has happened to me; I see a game I want to join with 6/8 7/8 players in the room, I join the room, and before I'm even able to pick a craft suitable for the track the host starts the game- This is not really a problem at Venom, Flash or Rapier class since I mostly use the same craft no matter what course. But for Phantom I'd definately like to change crafts depending on the track.

klax75
24th October 2008, 12:27 AM
These are just some of my wishes for the developers to add. Hopefully they recognize the importance of including more stuff to the game that the players have requested. I know alot of the stuff we wish for is not easy to do, and some are near damn impossible to add, but small changes\additions are sometimes all that's needed to add some longevity to the game. I know some of these have been mentioned before, but oh well.

Here we go;

* Elimination mode. This was my biggest dissapointment when I found out it was dropped from the game. Don't get me wrong, I love Wipeout HD and I really think it's an awesome game, especially at such a nice price but Elimination mode is my favourite game mode for as long as I can remember it's been in the game. It requires different strategies than just racing which adds more fun and variation to the game. I really hope they patch it in at a later stage, or add it together with some DLC's. This would definately keep players active for longer.

* Ability to chat with other players in the online race lobby
* Remove the option to change speed class settings in existing rooms
* Make bombs persistent, that way the player in the lead can still hit bombs that was dropped by players that are behind
* More trophies to give the player more challenges
* More stats like Pulse and Pure had both for online and campaign play
* Ability to spectate ghosts or other players aswell as upload ghosts directly from within the game
* Split screen for online races
* Country flags for scoreboards
* Ability to add description to a online race. That way it's easier to organize events and trophy accomplishments like Bling Brigade/AG Assassin etc.
* More customization to creating online races, ability to choose number of laps, turn off barrel rolls etc.
* More info about online opponents, if using headset, pilot assist, custom soundtrack, skin (that way it's easier to organize bling brigade races)
* Skin editor
* Alternative menu themes\colors as in Wipeout Pure
* Ability for host to kick players from a room aswell as add a better system for when a host leaves his game and host privilege is given to another player, too often the new host is idle for way too long and players start to leave. Just making sure the new host is notified properly would be a nice option addition aswell. I think a great way to go about this would be to have an announcer tell you if you're the new host, or if race options have changed.

I like these suggestions. Just the skin editor SL already said no to.

I get tired of going to a room and wanting to do a Rapier race then the second before it starts the host changes the speed and hits Start. Some times I don't want to play Phantom or vemon. Yet the host will host a game just to get people in change the speed class real quick and start.

leungbok
24th October 2008, 08:42 AM
I'm sure and i can witness that this already exist, but don't know if it's a bug or a programmed feature.:|

trentdf
24th October 2008, 09:51 AM
i dn't know if anyone has mentioned this - online time trials. I like no weapons, but it would be great to have a boost every lap as well. Also, you could learn from the best- trying to tail the high ranked players would be great. I think the best way for this to work is if everyone appeared hollow, like they do at the start of the race, so you can see them but not be rammed or blocked by them.

eLhabib
24th October 2008, 09:58 AM
On the issue of bombs: I would prefer they stayed on track, too. Nothing is more annoying than being in the lead and wanting to pass a bomb by the last player dropped, and even though I'm going past it by quite a distance, it blows up because the timer ran out, and still throws me off my line with the blast radius. Happened to me more than just a few times! It's not like they just 'disappear' - they usually blow up in my face just as I am about to pass.

Rapier Racer
24th October 2008, 12:48 PM
Yes I feel your pain this was something I disliked since Pulse. All bombs should stay on the track until someone crashes into them, or have a much shorter timer. It was almost perfect in Pure if only the player who set it could also have been hurt by it then that would have been spot on.

darkfaerytales
24th October 2008, 04:50 PM
ok as everybody can see a skin editor is really high on the hopes of most of people here, but we know it's absolutely impossible , so i say for fill this lack
please
STUDIO LIVERPOOL SKIN PACKS SKIN PACKS SKIN PACKS!!!!!!!

SL has done some really creative and cool work with many skins ( ok some not so creative but nothing is perfect :) ) so why for please the fans don't release some skin packs , i don't think it is so an hard work to make some packs with additional 3-4 skin per ship

BUFF UP THIS GAME! it has really the potential to became the 100% ultimate wipeout but it has to get more stuff

in general it would improve this game, 'cause for the quality 100% ok, for quantity umm not so

Asayyeah
24th October 2008, 07:14 PM
in general it would improve this game, 'cause for the quality 100% ok, for quantity umm not so
quantity you say ... have you ever think to the price you paid 1 month ago ? 69 euros? nope , 40 still not, even not 20 :naughty ... Ah well

Be patient things will come gradually, new skins are not essential imnhsfo, patch to correct minor or larger bugs pilots have found and hopefully possibilitie to unselect P\Assist for the online hoster would please many wipers.

Darkdrium777
24th October 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm sure and i can witness that this already exist, but don't know if it's a bug or a programmed feature.:|I've seen persistent AND flickering mines. 8) I guess it's also the same kind of bug for the bombs.

JABBERJAW
25th October 2008, 12:08 AM
The least I would like is that they show online next to the persons name that says PA if they have pilot assist on. I swear I saw someone using this today with great benefits, hitting me all over the fing place, so they seemed to have some skill to stay mostly in the middle. I got the sense they were using it when I passed them if I took the inside every time, they were always NEAR the outside wall, and never near the inside

klax75
25th October 2008, 12:19 AM
I understand the use of PA and I'm for new players to have a better race. Please give a people that don't use it the ability to know who has it on. It has effected my races before when I'm not using it. Several times I've been in race a someone with obvious PA on is fish tailing all over the place, I thought I could pass but they bumper off the wall hit me, I hit the wall come to a dead stop, while they keep going because walls aren't effecting them. Very frustrating.

Or I've had where PA corrects some guy instead of slowing him down he keeps up with me bounces off the wall and knocks me totally off the track. Where as if he didn't have it on he would have hit the wall, slowed down and I could have gotten clear. Instead of fly totally off track costing me 2 to 3 seconds. :( So it makes me feel penalized for not using PA.

I wish the host could set if to turn it on and off, and for BR's.

JABBERJAW
25th October 2008, 12:22 AM
Although I am not for PA making someone who has played the game for 15 minutes to be within a couple seconds of ARnaud because of this. I agree with your set limits for online races, that would be nice

darkfaerytales
27th October 2008, 05:31 PM
quantity you say ... have you ever think to the price you paid 1 month ago ? 69 euros? nope , 40 still not, even not 20 :naughty ... Ah well

Be patient things will come gradually, new skins are not essential imnhsfo, patch to correct minor or larger bugs pilots have found and hopefully possibilitie to unselect P\Assist for the online hoster would please many wipers.

you're right mate, but in fact i have never complaint about the price, that price is really really good,far too good, i did mean that if they will release a dlc for near the same price i will be more than happy
the truth is that the game is REALLY RELLY well done, the most gorgeous i ever seen on my life, but the problem is after a while is pretty bare...

skin packs are pretty useless ok, but istead of hope and dreaming for the impossible to do, why don't concentrate in things that they could do for real, ain't for you 2 dozen of skins more possible to do than a skin editor in high definition, or a new game engine through DLC?

dobyblue
27th October 2008, 06:06 PM
I noticed today while in a tourney that the tracks scrolled (rather changed) showing the various tracks in the tournament. It showed in the box 1/4, 2/4 etc. which was the number of tracks in the 4 track tournament.

I assume that's what you're after. I rarely play tournaments. This should also be available when on the screen in the lobby. I notice they changed tracks too.

Unfortunately when you play in SD you don't get these details.
You don't get the country of origin of each player either.

Wonder why they can't let these come up in 480 resolution?

Darkdrium777
27th October 2008, 06:14 PM
Too small of a resolution to get all the details in and readable. It would be useless to have the country flags if only three pixels are used to display it.
Compare 640x480 (Or 768x576) to 1920x1080 on this image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Vector_Video_Standards2.svg) and you will see.

b4p
27th October 2008, 08:59 PM
There are a few things I want to see in DLC (if we get DLC):

Mainly from this video (wipeout XL; Talon's Reach) I would like to have the following in HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbjOxsA0g

1. the interesting textures for the track, and the black background.
2. the shortcut. I dont know if HD has big shortcuts like that.
3. the electronic voice as an option in settings. Don't get me wrong, I like the voice in HD.
4. the smoothness and speed of that track. maybe a track built for zen speed with at most 1 BR per lap, or no BR at all. Scraping the walls might get annoying though.
5. red bull ads. at least 1.

Wipeout HD is my first wipeout game, and I've been watching tons of wipeout videos since I started; the XL videos look the most interesting. I just picked up XL to try it out.

other thoughts:
Sorry if I talk about F-Zero a lot here, but the last racing game i got into was the original fzero on snes.
6. F-Zero on the SNES would give you a little bump forward when your engines powered back on; it was something I really got used to. So far I haven't seen this in wipeout, but maybe I missed something with one of the ships. Hopefully they'll add a new ship that gives a bump when igniting the engines, but I abused this too much.
7. Something similar to a blue shell to take out the leader. just dont give it to the computer AI. This isnt a well thought-out idea.
8. avatars
9. I was sitting at the multiplayer screen waiting for the host to press the "start" button for like 5 min, and he never would. It would've been nice to somehow know what his intentions were, or if he was afk. Someone mentioned the idea of doing TTs until the MP game starts; that would be useful. I got bored and played single player; which probably made him wait longer.
10. After a race there's no way to check to see how far you were from a medal. You have to return to the grid to see the gold/silver/bronze time requirements. It would be nice to have that information from within the event.
11. the ability to watch/save replays, and take screenshots during replay playback
12. split-screen online (this should probably be at the top of the list)
14. After your car explodes you can let off the gas and then re-ignite the after-burner. pretty funny, but I wouldnt call it a bug. Maybe it should fire confetti out the back?

klax75
28th October 2008, 07:00 AM
The more I think about it the more even the idea of a replay feature gets me excited.

Imagine having a replay feature like Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBePV3UHCI) (.mp4 version is much sharper and a larger picture), that has the coolest replay feature I have seen. Just the idea of if WipeOut HD had a feature like this, to be able to say a replay of a online, offline race, or any TT, Zone race. Then to be able to watch it from different drivers point of view, and from a 3rd person track camera. With the ability then to save it to your PS3 as a .mp4 video file, or be able to send it directly to YouTube.

Just think how within minutes of a tournament being hosted the races are being show on online for everyone to enjoy, and since each player would be able to save there race replay, each competitor would have there own version there own point of view of what happened. Besides the 3rd person track view.

Leaving in the player names above the cars, being able to go directly to youtube or as a higher resolution .mp4 file, to be hosted on a website such as WipeOutZone.com.

As it is right now replays of a limited sort are in WipeOut HD, as ghost laps, they do keep track of every movement your ship makes during a lap.

Just imagine being able to go online and seeing Asayyeah next WipeOut Convention in almost real time as it unfolds. :D

Then the same replay file could be view and used with photo mode, for online events can have amazing pictures taking during the heat of a race, and to be able to have player names visible if so desired.

Before you out put your replay to a video file or to a website, you could save the same outputted file more then once with different perspectives. The outputted filing could then be transferred to video editing software if the person feels crafty.

Now of course the output video would not be 1080p, 60 fps, but would be good enough to show off the feature and for online use. Where photo mode during replays would still be max screen resolution.

allstyles
28th October 2008, 08:42 AM
elimination mode
&
that we can set a ammount of rounds per track.
(3 to 4 rounds are over so quickly sometimes.....)

mdhay
28th October 2008, 09:35 AM
@b4p

Car? lol
anyway, Fzero, as you probably know, is waay different to wipEout, and admittedly, the latter[wipEout] is better. My point is that the little after burner function that you mention is nothing more than an airbrake-esque mechanism.

Asayyeah
28th October 2008, 01:00 PM
Mainly from this video (wipeout XL; Talon's Reach) I would like to have the following in HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbjOxsA0g

Geez that guy is fast :lol

;)

crawdad62
28th October 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure whether or not this would improve the game but I'd like to have a true cockpit view. One where you could see the instrumentation inside the ship yet still have the first person perspective. I've tried the one that's on there now and it's awesome but I just don't get a good sense of my ship in relation to the track.

Axel
28th October 2008, 09:11 PM
Geez that guy is fast :lol

;)

LOL I just clocked!! Cheeky bugger :)

klax75
29th October 2008, 05:18 AM
I was sitting here thinking about it, I kind of miss how in Pure and Pulse it would have a announcer giving a brief history of the track. I know a lot of people didn't like the guy, but it made it seem more of a real place. Plus for all the new people to WOHD it would give them a little back story in to the universe.

Sideshow
29th October 2008, 03:27 PM
The game uploading your ghosts when it uploads your lap times, to facilitate: players able to look at the online scoreboards and select a score to drop straight into a Time Trial or Speed Lap (whatever you're looking at) against that ghost.

klax75
29th October 2008, 10:29 PM
Kind of like Gran Turismo 5 Pro Logue, when you look at the scoreboard you can get the ghost laps from each person.

Darkdrium777
29th October 2008, 10:40 PM
klax I would recommend you read the guidelines (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=23) before someone I know gets very angry with you ;)
More specifically, there is no need to quote the whole post above you unless you are replying to a very specific part, which is the one you will quote. ;) Reason is that the same text is not displayed twice.

dobyblue
1st November 2008, 04:56 PM
Too small of a resolution to get all the details in and readable. It would be useless to have the country flags if only three pixels are used to display it.
Compare 640x480 (Or 768x576) to 1920x1080 on this image (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Vector_Video_Standards2.svg) and you will see.

You could easily fit the # of races though.

lunar
2nd November 2008, 01:14 AM
For me, making the number of races in a tour visible on an SDTV is the single biggest change that would improve HD. I suspect there are a lot of people with SDTVs out there.

I guess there are also many who don`t care much about that, however. So, apart from that, the change I`d like to see more than any other is to have rankings to online races. It would add a new level of purpose and excitement. 8)

darkfaerytales
4th November 2008, 09:06 PM
ok but let's release some of these things that would improve HD, SL?!

NeilSmith
5th November 2008, 12:45 AM
Agreed. Bring on the goods SL!

Avenger2197
5th November 2008, 01:27 AM
I know this has been mentioned before, but I was thinking about limited energy in time trials. So, when you start out on a time trial your shield energy is exactly what your enegy is on any given race, thus controlling the number of BR's possible, finding better lines through side shifting, and so forth. The catch being whenever a perfect lap is done any energy spent on BR's is replenished at the beginning of the new lap. Kind of a page out of the Eliminator mode from Pulse. Or only a specific amount of shielding is rewarded for said perfect laps, and so forth...

I'd like to know what others think on this, as it may be not all that great of an idea:(

lunar
5th November 2008, 03:07 AM
That way of doing TT is much better, I think. Pure was like that, apart from that it didn`t renew energy for Perfect Laps. It`s a much more interesting way to do TT, but can`t be as quick as the current records with unlimited Barrel Rolls, so I think it`s too late to implement the idea.

Mad-Ice
5th November 2008, 06:22 AM
Yes Lunar, it was in Pure like that. You started a TT race with full energy and you had to divide your energy in most possible BRs per lap to be the fastest. Your energy didn't get replenished and it was really exciting to TT 5 laps and when you got an almost perfect race and doing that last possible BR to be at critical shield energy, you had to keep your nerves down to the finish for some last turns. Man, the adrenalin went rushing through all your bodyparts.

klax75
5th November 2008, 08:56 AM
I hope over time WOHD expands in to a bigger game, that is made with a plug-in type interface. So things can be easily added in the future. Then over time come out with a disc version of everything we have downloaded and addon on to HD.

Finally found my PSP cord, hadn't seen it since August. I was unable to play Pulse or Pure. Playing Pulse for the first time in several months yesterday, realizing how great that game was. How seeing the tracks from that in HD would be so much fun.

I wish HD had some of the effects from Pulse, like the spectators taking pictures of you on the starting grid, it's fun seeing the little camera flashes. Or the weather effects certain tracks had. Seeing the tracks from Pure and Pulse would make me all dizzy and faint. lol

Talons Junction in HD! Woo hoo.

darkfaerytales
5th November 2008, 04:40 PM
indeed, i have never play pulse but if you tell this, it's really a shame that the flashes which is really a nice touch hasn't ported in such a "bigger", better game who HD is, most important a game who run on ps3( think it's capable of such things,don't you think? )...this really give me want to get a psp

our game need to be expanded, i never stop to say this...

yeah i see videos on youtube everyday, only just image tracks like tech de ra , vertica , de konstruct or outpost 7 in HD:rock

basilico! HD really need a gloomy and very dark track, any of the tracks is set on the evening or night ( anulpha don't count much since for the most is set into a closed structure )

b4p
8th November 2008, 11:25 PM
i would really like a campaign mode for the reverse tracks

drenath
10th November 2008, 03:20 PM
Why can I do a BR in Zone? =(

darkfaerytales
10th November 2008, 04:30 PM
yes would be cool to be allowed to do some race campaign in reverse tracks...:rolleyes:

Sideshow
11th November 2008, 12:24 PM
Why can I do a BR in Zone? =(

It gives you a ton of points, so is worth doing early as you can recoup the shield loss by getting a string of perfect zones. But yeah, I hate accidentally BRing in zone too.

Asayyeah
12th November 2008, 01:54 PM
I'd like the racetime of tracks into a tournament to be recorded as normal SR online tracks, cause it's not atm :(

There's no particular reason for not taken those scores as legits.

If you see and understand what i am talking about

lunar
12th November 2008, 02:15 PM
yes, good point :) It could be annoying for someone who races mostly tournaments. Let`s hope that SL are building up for a big splurge of updates and improvements to online play. I need rankings - I need to see how globally average I am! 8)

PLazarou
12th November 2008, 05:52 PM
I've not read through this thread, so this has probably/hopefully been mentioned, but I'd like a no barrel-roll option on the race setup page, just like there is a no weapon option.

Barrel rolls are great, but tiring on my poor thumb. I'd quite like to just race old-school sometimes.

Other than that, I'm just looking forward to more tracks (maybe with pretty rain effects like Pure/Pulse? :D ) and maybe a message system within the lobby...

drenath
13th November 2008, 02:15 AM
The no-BR option would be nice also to prevent me from doing it accidentally, barreling into the wall and too often an explosive death.

Connavar
19th November 2008, 01:41 PM
Wipeout HD is a fantastic game, but here are a few ideas to make it even better:
(*) = known borrowed idea

1) more game modes:
- elimination mode (never played it but sounds great) (*)
- endurance mode (race with like 50 laps)
- team racing (the whole team must finish, or must stay alive, or the points are added ... need to think some more)

2) advanced options in the controls:
- enable us to assign 2 different buttons for 1 action like going forward
- barrel roll sensitivity slider: there is obviously some code in their program saying, this looks like a good/bad L-R-L, and according to that value, decides to barrel roll or not, well give us the ability to modify that threshold so we can perform more barrel rolls or less depending on how we play, then in zone mode i'll increase it, and to beat zico i'll decrease it, otherwise adjust it to my likings.
- ability to use the 2 sticks, the dpad, L3 and R3 individually (so I can choose to recharge my shields with dpad down for instance)

3) better online:
- text chat (*)
- some sort of IRC channel, just to discuss and say: let's do a bling brigade for instance
- more options at the host disposal like ability to choose a set of weapons (only rockets + mines for instance), choose the number of laps (endurance mode) (*), or bots maybe (maybe not)
- game auto start when everyone is ready
- add a title for the game (example: "bling brigade" hehe)

4) improve the split-screen mode:
- make it run at 60fps either by lowering the resolution or the textures
- a new way to divide the screen ala COD5: one player plays on top left, the other player on bottom right, which each screen being more or less 16:9. The unused space can be used to show the stats: weapon, energy, speed... something like this:

=------------
|########| P1 stats
|########|_________
|#######./########|
=---------/#########|
..P2 stats.|#########|
..............|==========

5) more content:
- more tracks
- ships (if that doesn't unbalance things, otherwise just more skins, or average ships)
- additional campaign

6) other details:
- race replay + replay editor + upload the best replays to youtube

NeilSmith
20th November 2008, 01:03 PM
As for the IRC channel you mentioned, there's always #wipeoutzone on QuakeNet :) Seems a little dead though, so I'm hoping to see some more people join in on the action! Spread the word!

Sideshow
21st November 2008, 09:05 AM
The level loading screen could be a bit more informative... in that it could be at all informative. Just listing the about to be played level would be helpful, though you could throw in #laps and speed class too.

OBH
21st November 2008, 01:35 PM
yes!!! :D
considering the game is so frantic, the loading screen is poor!!

the ship models you can spin around when selecting your ship. just a random one of those i could spin around would be enough for me :D

lurkz
21st November 2008, 04:38 PM
I would like to see:

To be able to change the barrel roll left-right-left control to something else, thumbstick buttons anyone ? Or maybe a thumbstick rotation ... makes more sense.

More clear info as to what tracks are chosen and how many in online tournaments, with the new count down timer there will not even be a chance to see in 20 secs !!!

Also with update 1.20 there is now a count down ... timer on screen ?

Once I start playing online, the only way I can change my playlist / volume / track is to either forfeit a race by pausing or going to the offline menu :(

And obviously ... more tracks ... HD Hi-res 2097 tracks /drools

BornToBeMild
23rd November 2008, 09:47 AM
Personally,I think the most important thing missing from HD right now is a way to view stats.
Maybe the reason most have abandoned WipEout (already) is not having anything to show for their hard work. Why sit through a 12 race tournament? Why try? Scores,Stats,Trophies,Achievements,etc are what keep players coming back to a game,right?

At the very least, a way to see how many times a person's quit a race/tournament. THAT would come in handy... :rock

pildog
23rd November 2008, 12:45 PM
Stats, as mentioned before.

And the ability to replay races, just like you can replay your recent games in Halo 3. I always wonder who went into that bomb I laid!

blackwiggle
23rd November 2008, 01:24 PM
You have the records.
In Campaign you have best times for each cell on Novice,Skilled and Elite
And if you are online and go into records you have Multiplayer [online],Single race,Time Trial,Speed Lap,Zone.
And within those you have Personal,Friends and Global.
And within those depending which your in,you have Race Time,Lap Time,Speed Pads Hit,Highest Zone Achieved,Perfect Zones.
You have your Trophies and date achieved.
In your game saved data you can see amount of gold medals won and how long you have been playing the game.

Name me any other downloadable game on any console that costs as little as WOHD does that gives Stats like that.

pildog
23rd November 2008, 05:39 PM
You have the records.
In Campaign you have best times for each cell on Novice,Skilled and Elite
And if you are online and go into records you have Multiplayer [online],Single race,Time Trial,Speed Lap,Zone.
And within those you have Personal,Friends and Global.
And within those depending which your in,you have Race Time,Lap Time,Speed Pads Hit,Highest Zone Achieved,Perfect Zones.
You have your Trophies and date achieved.
In your game saved data you can see amount of gold medals won and how long you have been playing the game.

Name me any other downloadable game on any console that costs as little as WOHD does that gives Stats like that.

Sorry, stats was the wrong word to use. I meant an online indicator when you're about to start a race if the guy next to you is a rookie or a pro. A bit like the ranking system in Halo 3. I'm not sure how it could be done. I guess the normal point system would be allocated, but for only games of 4 or more people (3 people could just race against each other and collect a huge number of points each) and compare it to the numbed of races played, which would give the player's grade. It would need a lot of figuring out, and I'm just too tired for it right now.;)

OBH
23rd November 2008, 06:01 PM
A ROOM INVITE FUNCTION.

added a good few of you guys to my list, but getting everyone in the same room is a nightmare.

if i could set a 8/8 friends only room, and send multiple invites it would be easy.

blackwiggle
24th November 2008, 02:22 AM
Haydn
I think something like that would have to be implemented through the PS3's messaging system.
And I could think of a load of things that would make that better.
Being able to select people off your friends list,group them together and send them all the same message at the same time.

Pildog
I see what you mean.
I think the best way to have a rating would have to be if you were to work it out on times achieved, over all tracks and all forms of playing the game.
That would give a fairer indication of a players overall ability.
All those stats are in the records,so I suppose it would be up to SL to write some software that could compile that information into a working system.
A daunting task I would imagine.

KIGO1987
24th November 2008, 07:09 AM
I hope there no stupid ranking system. The one for Pulse on Wipeout Website was FUBAR truely.

lunar
24th November 2008, 10:36 AM
Some form of ranking for online races would be interesting. I thought the Pulse one was better than nothing, but I was never very competitive so didn`t get to see how it worked or didn`t. Perhaps the speed classes ought to be separated in such a system.

OBH
24th November 2008, 02:14 PM
Haydn
I think something like that would have to be implemented through the PS3's messaging system.
And I could think of a load of things that would make that better.

why through the ps3 menu?

cod4, battlefield bad company, tekken 5 are but a few (alright tekken uses ps3 menu but other two dont)

pildog
24th November 2008, 09:17 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the game recorded all wins, kills, and places next to each player your racing against, WINS: XX/XX KILLS: XX/XX I.e. the first number is the number of wins/kills you scored against him, and the second the number of wins/kills he scored against you. You can see at a glance who is dominating you.

Sideshow
25th November 2008, 09:46 AM
why through the ps3 menu?

cod4, battlefield bad company, tekken 5 are but a few (alright tekken uses ps3 menu but other two dont)

One of the main points of Home is to allow you to meet up with friends then all join a game together, so you should get the functionality you want through it, should it ever arrive.

Reuben
25th November 2008, 10:28 AM
plz plz plzzzz, add in ZEN and SUBSONIC classes to race in!!! we ned more speed!!!!!

blackwiggle
29th November 2008, 02:04 AM
HOME should be here soon,I just got a beta trial of it and I'm pretty sure it is open for all to trial from December.

pildog
30th November 2008, 10:51 AM
New weapons...

A shield that bounces a weapon hit back on the attacker (cannon, rockets, missile, leech beam reversed). It looks just like the normal shield, but with a reddish tint and lasts for about the same time. Obviously it offers no protection against mines, bomb, plasma and quake. Once used it is gone.

Two lasers that extend a short distance from both side of the ship and damage anything they come in contact with, a bit like the spikes on the chariot wheels in Ben Hur.

I could go on and on. :P

Darkdrium777
1st December 2008, 03:12 AM
Two lasers that extend a short distance from both side of the ship and damage anything they come in contact with, a bit like the spikes on the chariot wheels in Ben Hur.Hmm I don't know, I really like the frost spikes in Rollcage Stage 2 but I can't see them working properly in a driving game like WipEout. It's good in RC because the driving is heavily physics based (So if your tires get slippery well you lose control) but in WipEout there are no tires to frost :P

abukii
1st December 2008, 08:44 AM

Yup!! You round the corner,grind the wall and if you nail it perfecly,you will actually be driving outside of the wall...this is where the no-holds-barred speed comes in:rock

Heck,my personal favorite was surfing a quake:pirate

Anyway,Id like to see (quite literally), online, if an opponent has an operating shield and if hes absorbed a panel. I cant make out if an opponent is shielded,absorbed a panel or whatever...drives me nuts when I waste a perfectly good missle-lock or set of rockets.

Aside from that,there are several quirky features,most of which have been mentioned.
Cheers. Great thread!:+

blackwiggle
2nd December 2008, 04:49 AM
I can rarely tell if a craft has a shield activate either ,and my screen is 2.2m across and in HD.

I've started to look for a glow under a craft as a hint,but even that is unreliable.
Brightly lite tracks tend to wash that out.

Sugar_from_OTW
7th December 2008, 07:14 AM
The sheild pickup should be scraped, and instead, you should get a coupld of seconds worth of sheild when you absorb a weapon. That way, if you hear mines, you have to quickly decide whether or not to waste your pick up or to chance it though the mines.

I don't know if anyone has suggested that.

djKyoto
7th December 2008, 07:25 AM
Quake Surfer would actually be a pretty cool weapon.

Would be nice to have a full options menu during the end race wait on an online race. A full overall ranking scoreboard would be nice also (covering your speed laps, time trials, your average position etc). More online modes too.

guillaume
8th December 2008, 12:10 PM
It's been said before, but sticky walls is the thing in this game that I think is really annoying.
It makes the learning process from frustrating to infuriating (or another word that looks like this one :)).
That means I won't really have fun on a particular track until I know it well enough to avoid most of its walls. And that takes a lots of hours...

And another little thing :)
The weapons icons don't appear instantly when you pick themp up.
Someone on these boards raised the problem for pulse, and I believe nobody came up with an explanation as to why it may be better the way it is now.

trentdf
9th December 2008, 05:11 AM
i don't mind the sticky walls. Although when your learning its a pain in the arse, when you get alright its quicker to side shift/ turn off the wall quickly rather than just slow down a lot after you bounce.

- it would be nice on time trial if there was a time ahead/behind of your best time when you crossed the start line

-EDIT- i hate sticky walls :(

Hacker X
10th December 2008, 09:30 PM
Its probably already been said but the MAJOR thing I'd like in either Wipeout HD or the next Wipeout PS3 game is:

1. Wipeout XL, and Wip3out physics to return.

While I love Pure, Pulse, and HD, I have had to totally alter my racing style with Qirex due to the more "stability" of the craft to the track. I miss the more "loose / floaty" feel of Qirex that allowd me to "Power Slide" around turns. Now it feels more like a driving game when you corner hard as you have to corner with more accuracy of staying with the turn, rather than the old style of turning into a turn long before you get to it, so that you could drift almost sideways around it.

Ahhh I miss that.

2. As its been said the sticky walls are a major hinderance in a game of this speed. We need the Wipeout XL "wall scrape" back. That would be extremely cool.

Call me old school but the old physics of Wipeout as an option would make for the ultimate Wipeout experience. Not saying that HD isn't that because it is, but it could definately use some touchups to edge it toward WO Perfection.

OBH
12th December 2008, 03:36 PM
Personally id prefer the walls to give to a real minor bounce away from them. Anything to stop a meer glance turning into a ruined race.

I think in a nutshell id like:
* invite function
* skin creator (HD clipart would make for very quick and eask skins surely?)
* eliminator mode (each lap last place is eliminated), as well as many other modes suggested in many other threads.
* tournament times to count towards records, so in turn should be able to view records during tournaments.
* better records for teams as well as pilots. I want to see which team has the most wins, or the highest % of wins per player etc
* sort out auto piloting dodgy pathing
* barrel rolls should remove health as a % as supposed to set amount, so lower shield teams arent hindered in races with no weapons.
* Ag Systems should have their shield minorly reduced. :)
* sort out the auto respawn, you cant be allowed to skip some corners and not others. either do them all or not at all in my opinion...
* More diverse track design, time of day, and weather effects.
* The pilot assist should turn your ship away from walls instead of just pusing you away, it would then actually help new players as supposed to just be a bit of a joke. Ever got stuck on the anulpha pass bridge :) its hilarious!

KGB
12th December 2008, 06:59 PM
I would like when highlighting a host to be able to see who is in the particular room so you can see where your friends are this would be better than the constant coming in and out of the XMB which is highly irritating .

Also in-room messaging would be great as this would include everyone in chat and give a much better on line experience. Fixed messages would be cool such as "Great Race", "Well Done" or "You Suck" lol.

Yes a few more tracks is what everyone wants, but i would rather have quality over quantity any day, the reason for me why 2097 is/was head and shoulders the best Wipeout is the track design, the feeling of a believable environment and without going over the top i would even say the tracks had a personality of their own.Personally i would like another eight in totally but eight good ones .Never played Pulse so i don't know what else they can take from there but i feel there are no more on Pure to be had. (though I'll be proved wrong on that no doubt).

I do wonder how much time and effort SL are willing to invest in HD. How many people have downloaded it, how much money have they made on it and do they think more DLC is a worthwhile investment?At some point they will have to support the new game (far off i know).

Personally with the on-line element i believe (arguably!) HD is the best game of the series but it needs to grow and develop to make it even better.

darkfaerytales
12th December 2008, 07:19 PM
good thoughts kgb1971 , i agreed with you that other 8 more tracks would be a reasonable improvement, but i assure you pure still have yet more to offer, i don't know if you have ever take a look on tracks like modesto heights or blue ridge, tracks like these have a very nice xl/2097 feeling and i cannot image of good would work a full hd restyling, at the moment i don't own a psp but i think for xmas i get one, however i've study and watch many many videos of pure tracks

with this i don't want to say that the pulse tracks are inferior in design or less vary and nice, tracks like basilico , tech de ra or arc prime own the same nostalgic 2097 feeling and i dream about an hd port of such tracks the same way as the pure ones i've mentioned before and many others i haven't mentioned

in truth the major part of the 2097-w3o-pure-pulse tracks ROCKS!

OBH
12th December 2008, 08:33 PM
I do wonder how much time and effort SL are willing to invest in HD. How many people have downloaded it, how much money have they made on it and do they think more DLC is a worthwhile investment?At some point they will have to support the new game (far off i know).

last time i checked the record tables included 55,000 people. lets assume theres a few more now, but each bought wo:hd for around £11. They could have charged near retail price and it would still be worth every penny spent on it.

I Dont remember ever seeing a game rated so highly by so many different reviewers. Once saw below 9 and often 10/10, along with the frequent opinion HD is the best value for money release of all time.

Im still amazed to this day the game was so cheap, I mean the pure expansion packs were announced at a ludicrous £15 each. Fair play if they learnt the massive error in their ways, but they could have really cashed in on this one. id have spent £20/£30 if it meant more money for more wipeout.

RJ O'Connell
12th December 2008, 10:23 PM
The sheild pickup should be scraped, and instead, you should get a coupld of seconds worth of sheild when you absorb a weapon. That way, if you hear mines, you have to quickly decide whether or not to waste your pick up or to chance it though the mines.
That sounds just like a shorter version of the old-school shields where you couldn't fire weapons if you had shields up.

With all due respect, your suggestion doesn't make much sense...outside-the-box thinking, though.

KGB
13th December 2008, 06:12 AM
but i assure you pure still have yet more to offer, i don't know if you have ever take a look on tracks like modesto heights or blue ridge, tracks like these have a very nice xl/2097 feeling and i cannot image of good would work a full hd restyling

Your right, Modesto Heights would look good HD'd up as would every track but i just think if they are going to give us more tracks then they should be the best ones.

Its obviously a personal opinion but give me Valparaiso over Blue Ridge any day, Manor top is surely far superior than Modesto Heights. I get the feeling that if they do give us new tracks they will be from Pure and Pulse. Though to be fair Moa Therma and Metropia are both excellent, if there are more like that then great.

Im still amazed to this day the game was so cheap, I mean the pure expansion packs were announced at a ludicrous £15 each. Fair play if they learnt the massive error in their ways, but they could have really cashed in on this one. id have spent £20/£30 if it meant more money for more wipeout.

I couldn't agree more Haydn, before it came out i thinking about £25 and i would of been happy.

It would be nice if there was some official word on DLC, I think I read on here somewhere that they were working on some, but it was possibly rumor.

Forgot to mention Statistics as well. I need statistics online! :lol

KIGO1987
13th December 2008, 12:32 PM
Things that'll improve Wipeout HD, maybe in online races if all the other racers didnt get a 2 fkn second headstart, not including the non responsive weapon pads that i go over and the other racers go over get the weapon and change the fate of the race. Maybe thats my **** connection or something but ultimately what is needed for Wipeout HD is eliminator mode, and kick some of the new cocky bastards to kindom come, lol, and to be fairly competitive too:g

djKyoto
13th December 2008, 12:35 PM
SuperPhantom or Zen as a normal speed class :P

OBH
13th December 2008, 12:37 PM
deffinitly. or a zone mode esc speed increase each lap :)

blackwiggle
13th December 2008, 04:10 PM
Do you mean gradual speed increase with NO weapons ?

Like AVALON semi zone ?

That could be either fun or tortuous depending on the definition of FUN.:lol

BR's will either make or brake that.....I loathe them,give me a race without them with just getting racing lines the best you can.
Like TRUE racing is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1WSxNN4aU

Axel
14th December 2008, 12:52 AM
Core blimey, that's what you call true flying! I long for the day they get rid of BR :)

OBH
14th December 2008, 06:50 AM
now thats something. what ridiculously good flying! :)

As for br's, personally i like them... i just wish the game made their importance more obvious, and would change the boost amount per team. I just get sick of icarus clearly being the speed lap team to use, if they got slightly less br boost due to their awesome speed it might make for much fairer competition.

I guess i just enjoy an extra dimension, and believe barrel rolls is a nice feature to add more variety to the teams.

The same for sideshifting really, in that im surprised the distance you shift doesnt vary from team to team, surely that could enchance the flying style even more?

darkfaerytales
14th December 2008, 06:53 PM
umm,the distance of sideshifting doesn't vary from team to team ok, or better depends on of much you press , but i have little doubt about the times of reaction , i suspect the less handle ship respond slower and with a bit of lag on sideshift movement respect the high handle ones...

klax75
15th December 2008, 06:27 AM
I can't stand BR's. I can't state it enough how much I dislike them. I miss racing lines to pick up time. I also think any kind of track cutting should result in a void of that lap time.

The things I want really want in a expansion.

Is more tracks to play, I would like Pure and Pulse tracks. I am a minority but I do like Pure for the amount of tracks, but Pulse has more tracks I like to play then. I've always loved in WipeOut how tracks seem real, in the sense we have raced on the same tracks before in several different games. It makes it feel like a place. Not every game you get totally different tracks all the time. Going back to tracks, is fun to me.

Concept models of all the teams. Just for variations. Some teams from previous games. Although some of the designs from Fusion / Pure don't look vary WipeOut to me.

Replays is one of my most wanted features, to have a replay savable. To be able to share with friends. 3rd person track view. It's such a dream of mine to be able to watch a replay when every I want. GT4, GT5PL, TT I love those replays. Sometimes I just have replays running for hours with TT why I work on the computer. Since you could make replay playlists. Also being able to save replays of online races. To be able to go to photo mode from a saved replay.

More host options. BR's off or on. Number of laps you want per race (not being tied to speed class). Speed lap qualifying.

Grid sharing like in Pulse, so you can do grid layouts for your friends.

Stats, more stats. Pulse/Pure stats.

More online options. Like being able to form a team with your friends. So your online rankings count and help your team.

The Gracer
15th December 2008, 09:55 AM
Like TRUE racing is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1WSxNN4aU

Mano's (Mano's? i think thats who it was) flight inspires me to become a better pilot.

i simply love watching this video. it defines wipeout for me.

we all wish for an HD remake of 2097 but we all know its not happening.

Sideshow
16th December 2008, 10:45 AM
* barrel rolls should remove health as a % as supposed to set amount, so lower shield teams aren't hindered in races with no weapons.

Disagree. Low shields meaning low # barrel rolls helps keep the teams balanced. You get rid of this and teams with high speed/low shields will become too powerful.
Agree with the rest of your points though.

Connavar
17th December 2008, 02:05 PM
ONLINE ZONE mode.

How cool would that be? Up to 8 players would start, and the goal is to reach the highest zone, of course you could ram into other players as well, but usually that won't matter.
When you die you get to watch the others, trust me we won't have to wait too long!

crawdad62
17th December 2008, 05:02 PM
Online Zone would be cool. There would have to be a set time that it changes speed classes though since everyone would be at different sections of the track and any given time. In my opinion I'd like to have ship to ship contact not reflect any power loss. Only have the walls do the damage. That way you could ram the poop out of each other.

H3avyM3tal
17th December 2008, 05:58 PM
Disagree. Low shields meaning low # barrel rolls helps keep the teams balanced. You get rid of this and teams with high speed/low shields will become too powerful.
Agree with the rest of your points though.

As speed is not really an issue in high speed classes, I think his suggestion holds some merit. If they make some changes to the speed and make it so it has some kind of impact, then that is a whole different issue.

As the game stands now, a Feisar ship can be quicker than an Icaras ship on some tracks. and besides, there are plenty of chances to absorb weapons to replenish shields.

Also, it can be interesting to add a slipstream effect to the game :)

Connavar
17th December 2008, 08:56 PM
Online Zone would be cool. There would have to be a set time that it changes speed classes though since everyone would be at different sections of the track and any given time. In my opinion I'd like to have ship to ship contact not reflect any power loss. Only have the walls do the damage. That way you could ram the poop out of each other.
I agree... damn I would play that!
Imagine with several good players all reaching zone 75 on anulpha pass!

quantum-avatar
17th December 2008, 11:31 PM
Great thread, excellent ideas you guys, I agree with almost all and think there should be far more optionality for the host so everyone can have their perfect version, lets hope sony is listening! ;)

Zone mode online is a great idea, would we want it with weopons? uber fast and you could keep yourself alive by absorbing pickups, zone 150 might be interesting on the eyes :hyper

What do people think about rewarding the fastest lap during each race of a tournament, perhaps an additional point could spice things up and make each race even more of a challenge even if you are in a clear lead :?:

klax75
18th December 2008, 06:06 AM
ONLINE ZONE mode.

How cool would that be? Up to 8 players would start, and the goal is to reach the highest zone, of course you could ram into other players as well, but usually that won't matter.
When you die you get to watch the others, trust me we won't have to wait too long!

I think the best online Zone mode would be more of a rally race set up. Once you start putting other players and ramming it would ruin the concept of Zone. Would just be a bright colored eliminator mode.

Doing a rally type thing where you are all playing online in the same track, on the right side of your screen you would have the list of racers, and next to there name what zone they are in. On track all other racers would be a ghosts, so you could see them, but you can't interact with them by ruining there lap. Having the zone listings would tell you how people are doing and making each ghost a different color would be a instant visual queue who is what and what Zone they are on since there ghost color could match there name. For a player that does a perfect lap make there name pulsate with a glow for a few seconds after they finish the lap.

Sideshow
18th December 2008, 09:42 AM
Online Zone would be cool. There would have to be a set time that it changes speed classes though since everyone would be at different sections of the track and any given time.

Zone speed increases every 10 seconds, so no change is necessary :)

FrenkyV
18th December 2008, 10:07 AM
I agree... damn I would play that!
Imagine with several good players all reaching zone 75 on anulpha pass!

Imagine that would be a trophy LOL :o

crawdad62
18th December 2008, 12:07 PM
Zone speed increases every 10 seconds, so no change is necessary :)

Does it? Always seemed random to me. I guess I'm not really paying attention other than holding on tight! :banzai

H3avyM3tal
18th December 2008, 12:22 PM
What do you all think about taking damage from the back burners of ships? This game has alot of potential in regards to upgrades/changes ro game mechanics.

Connavar
18th December 2008, 12:59 PM
I think the best online Zone mode would be more of a rally race set up. Once you start putting other players and ramming it would ruin the concept of Zone. Would just be a bright colored eliminator mode.

Doing a rally type thing {...}
That could work too, but I wouldn't want to play it for too long, because it's not as fun, rather play the offline Zone then. It's like the online races without weapons, they are not time trials (because of collisions), that's why they're good, there is an extra challenge and skill required to avoid the other ships.
Also I don't think there will be excessive ramming, because distances increase very quickly with speed, someone who never hits a wall racing against someone hitting several, at 1000km/h, will result in huge gaps.

kingadrock311
18th December 2008, 02:33 PM
I'd say the biggest thing that would help the series would be to make the game more about pure racing skills at the top classes , like on elite classes no pilot assist should be allowed, no autopilot, perhaps even no weapons except for speed boost, and also bring back the days of chemical brothers and prodigy in the soundtrack , i really miss having proper vocals in the tracks - the wipeout series was pioneering in this, if you have to charge 50 dollars for the game because you have top electronic music in game, then so be it.

make the online data much more robust, like you can see the players rank, country of origin, time logged , experience all through icons and colors, give us much more options when creating a game to be able to choose what weapons are given or not

oh yes and bring back the negcon on ps3:rock:rock:rock

darkfaerytales
18th December 2008, 02:48 PM
in thruth brother if you want prodigy and chemical brothers you have only to download somewhere and put it in the soundtrack as i and i think many of us have done...:nod

loops of fury by chemical and spitfire by prodigy are ace

kingadrock311
18th December 2008, 03:21 PM
yeah i did it with some old cd's i had, the music they gave us for free is pretty lame!

Connavar
20th December 2008, 01:16 PM
Is there some kind of invincibility at the very start of a race? If yes (I think it is) then sometimes it doesn't work and if the racer in front of you is idling then you'll just be stuck!! If no, then it should be added.

kingadrock311
20th December 2008, 01:52 PM
oh and give us a real campaign, not this trophies crap, i liked the wipeout XL way of unlocking a new tournament with a new speed class as the campaign

Cerium
20th December 2008, 04:37 PM
What was wrong with the campaign in this one? It had the tournaments in it and overall gave players a pretty well-rounded experience of what the game had to offer while not brutalizing them on the way up. Plus, you unlocked stuff after each tier (prior to 100% completion).

I still think the online play needs some cleaning up. The biggest and most noticeable problem comes from bombs being triggered by the host (or some random factor) and the whole leaving dropped players at the starting line. I don't know how many times I've watched them take a weapon hit simply because the game still keeps them there. Not to mention, every now and then it won't give them ghost-status so they actually become a hazard.

OBH
22nd December 2008, 01:04 PM
I had a great idea.

In the same manner as the flasy advertisements, there should be a banner that at the beginning of the race displays the top time and player name, and in the design of the team used :D

That would look so good.

eLhabib
22nd December 2008, 01:25 PM
Absolutely! Great idea!

darkfaerytales
24th December 2008, 12:01 AM
begin to release something for improve HD would improve HD...:mad: