PDA

View Full Version : Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Norfolk'n'Clue
26th September 2008, 02:28 PM
Does the thrust powerup effect get reduced by the magnetic strips?

Is there a 'fast start' key press combination?

Skvall
26th September 2008, 02:40 PM
Press thrust button as soon as it says go! Or thats what I do anyway. :redface:

loxy
26th September 2008, 03:17 PM
why we cannot plane any more while pushing on bottom at the moment of the jumps like psone opus ??(here the ship always falls down very heavily if we do not make a loop in air)?
why we don't see any more the weapons on the collects boxes (different colors according to weapons)?
regrettableā€¦

darkfaerytales
26th September 2008, 04:10 PM
Is there a 'fast start' key press combination?

Press thrust button as soon as it says go! Or thats what I do anyway. :redface:

i'm going to ask the same question and start a thread about...so the old metod ( keep the thrust at 3/4 of the bar and then at the GO press quickly ) is gone forever?

i'm too used with W3O , HD is really a great game, but actually i have some time too get used with all these "new" differences...
i've played w3o til yesterday, at truth also this morning i've play it alot ,i'm a nostalgic one ...but WO HD is Too gorgeous and amazing

WO HD is the devil!:twisted

Rubix42
26th September 2008, 05:31 PM
Might as well ask here, seeing as it is a questions thread.

What do the panels on the track do. Call me a nub if you want, but I didn't really notice them while playing last night.

Norfolk'n'Clue
27th September 2008, 06:17 AM
I forgot, I had one other question: how long do mines and bombs hang around if no-one sets them off?

Lion
27th September 2008, 06:29 AM
Press thrust button as soon as it says go! Or thats what I do anyway. :redface:If you prefer a visual cue, the red bar that moves across behind the 3,2,1 countdown can be used. The moment the red bar reaches the right hand side of the countdown display you mash the throttle

What do the panels on the track do. Call me a nub if you want, but I didn't really notice them while playing last night.nub ;)
in modes where weapons are enabled, you will see red Xs on the track, when you pass over these a weapon or item will become available on your craft
The blue ^ shaped panels give you a small speed boost when passed over

in other news: norfolk'n'clue <- that is an awesome name

Kb0nEZ
27th September 2008, 07:03 AM
I was hoping someone would start a thread like this! :+ :)

I can tell from the vids that you don't "stick" to the walls when you hit them anymore, like in Pure and Pulse, which is damn good. But does this mean they re-implemented scraping (getting a speed boost for just barely riding the wall, like in 2097 and W30 - makes about as much sense as barrel-rolling, but I loved it all the same) or is that still out?

And concerning Zone mode, when do the zone speeds stop increasing? I know in Pure it was ~ zone 65, but maybe because of the better hardware it has been increased for PS3?

Thanks guys! :D

rdmx
27th September 2008, 07:23 AM
It's probably extremely high - to a level that no one can reach naturally - even in Pulse, if you use an infinite shield cheat, I found that even at zone 235, you keep on getting faster - uncontrallably so.

Rubix42
27th September 2008, 08:05 AM
I know what a speed pad and weapon pickup is. I thought people were referencing something else.

Ah nevermind!

Sausehuhn
27th September 2008, 11:01 AM
...and never forget: There's always the manual ;)

Norfolk'n'Clue
27th September 2008, 01:25 PM
And concerning Zone mode, when do the zone speeds stop increasing? I know in Pure it was ~ zone 65, but maybe because of the better hardware

I've seen a trophy for reaching zone 75

Sausehuhn
27th September 2008, 03:13 PM
There is an SFX that kicks in from time to time. Does a little bit sound like a sonic boom. Does anyone know when it appears? Because it was very random to me and I saw no connection to any action.

kz_
27th September 2008, 03:20 PM
That boom noise occurs whenever you lift off the throttle. Easy way to avoid it is to just keep X mashed. :cowboy

mdhay
27th September 2008, 03:28 PM
Why could I access a debug screen thing?

Task
27th September 2008, 03:46 PM
I forgot, I had one other question: how long do mines and bombs hang around if no-one sets them off?In past versions it's been ~ 10 seconds.

Probably the same now...

Darkdrium777
27th September 2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone got this bug online where weapon pads are sometimes completely disabled for the whole race? And weapons were set to on, I was the host.

Atom6x!
27th September 2008, 04:11 PM
How many different HUD's are there and how do you unlock 'em? I currently have HD, 2097 and Wip3out.

I like the Wip3out one but it's a shame that the shield bar is so small :|

Sausehuhn
27th September 2008, 04:13 PM
There are "only" these three. AFAIK you unlock them by reaching a specific loyalty point score.

Darkdrium777
27th September 2008, 06:23 PM
Ok I repeat, did anyone have the bug where some weapon pads are turned off for the whole race? I know KIGO and I are having this problem. It must be more frequent than this...

Ricanebleu
27th September 2008, 07:04 PM
Could anyone explain why the logo of Xios is on a Feisar and probably on other ships too?

Axel
27th September 2008, 07:04 PM
Hmmm not turned off, but I have gone over some of them during a multi-player race and not received a pick up.

KIGO1987
27th September 2008, 07:22 PM
Ok I repeat, did anyone have the bug where some weapon pads are turned off for the whole race? I know KIGO and I are having this problem. It must be more frequent than this...

This was odd. It happened during multiple races during Metropia. The race was somewhat a hybrid race featuring Avalon tactics towards the end.
----------

By the way to all you older Wipeout veterans out there, you cannot perform reverse quakes in Wipeout HD, i tried it during single race, and the quake still fired forward. Well thats the end of an era there, lol.

RJ O'Connell
27th September 2008, 07:24 PM
Supersocks and RR must be heartbroken... :g In seriousness that's a negligible loss.

kz_
27th September 2008, 08:45 PM
I could swear that I tried to do a reverse quake in Pure and it didn't work... figured it was gone for good and didn't try it in HD.

cybrpnk
27th September 2008, 11:50 PM
That boom noise occurs whenever you lift off the throttle. Easy way to avoid it is to just keep X mashed. :cowboy

Does this boom mean anything??? Like do you get a temporary slight speed boost???

Maybe I'm imagining things...but for really tight corners...where I have to release the throttle, I try hitting the boom at the apex...and this seems to help me exit the corner a bit faster than say...leaving your finger on the throttle and just flying through said corner by airbraking like hell...or even aribraking and then side shifting back in to avoid hitting the outside wall...

hmmm...

on an added note...would've been cool if SL implemented a little sonic boom ring animation when this boom happens...then again...it might be too much...

fusionfrenzy
28th September 2008, 12:01 AM
I forgot, I had one other question: how long do mines and bombs hang around if no-one sets them off?

Recently I was in a race (offline) and I was in first, and as I came around for lap 2, I saw a bomb in the distance, which then exploded itself before I could get to it. Definitely wasnt set off by a ship, so maybe when the race leader comes toward them, they disappear (spectacularly!).

It coul'dve just been a bug though if no one else has experienced this.

Darkdrium777
28th September 2008, 12:30 AM
Bombs do explode after a cetain amount of time (Around 20 secs), like in Pulse. Mines disappear after five seconds or so.

The Gracer
28th September 2008, 02:53 AM
NOOO finally a WipEout im good enough to get in the right position to do a back quake and it doesnt work!

grrr, i feel ripped off, lol

blackwiggle
28th September 2008, 03:45 AM

Yeah, it's happened to me twice now, both times I was playing it was when nearly all the online hosts were from the USA or Europe and I'm in Australia.

And both times there were 5 players or more.

I think it must be an internet throttling [distance] thing, where all the information except the weapon pads gets realtime updating.......Bug Report!?:eek

TheFrostE
28th September 2008, 04:25 AM
havent seen the weapon pad issue yet... sounds interesting though, i had the same issue when playing pure at the US convention at Als this year. i wonder...

as for back-quakes, i think they should have kept them, inspiration for you to fly faster!

Lion
28th September 2008, 12:26 PM
Does this boom mean anything??? Like do you get a temporary slight speed boost???nope, any effect you're seeing is a placebo.
I find that the only place I'm consistently releasing throttle is the hairpin near the start of chenghou project.
The boom is probably meant to be the sound of the afterburner reigniting as you start pushing fuel through the turbines again

rushin
28th September 2008, 06:39 PM
online bug

got a request to add friend as the race was starting. the countdown finished but race stalled, got some funky green waves scrolling to left of where race start timer is, couldnt quit out from this point on, had to pull the plug

first online bug for me btw, i am not one the ppl with big friends lists having lots of problems

eLhabib
28th September 2008, 08:22 PM
Today the game froze on me during an online race when I pressed the voice chat button. It unfroze again after about 10 seconds of waiting. Of course, by that time the race was lost to me... :(

;)

Tekkenizer
28th September 2008, 11:25 PM
is there any information regarding Zone-scoring here? (like a thread)
I would like to know all the possible bonus points to get (like perfect labs, etc.).

thanks in advance.

boogalogist
29th September 2008, 03:32 AM
I want to know what you guys use...the direction pad or the analog stick to control the movement of the craft?

I used the stick...but i found that doing barrel rolls are unreliable with it.

I tried the pad and it's great for barrel rolls..need to get use to the turnings though.

So what do the pros use? D-pad or Stick?

Darkdrium777
29th September 2008, 04:02 AM
D-Pad + Motion on Pitch only.

darkfaerytales
29th September 2008, 12:25 PM
thank you guys for starting this thread, i have a lot of questions and i didn't want to start many useless threads only for asking 1 questions a time, for luck someone has come out with this...

first only for know, since i have play all the ps one wipeouts but i haven't play the psp ones so HD for me is a total new i have some question

the checkpoints are forever gone?

maybe it's just me or i have played this game very little since now, i have only 4 our of play or so some passed just looking at the menus :dizzy ,

but the ships are really so different in terms of driving?
i know all the story behind the balancement needs to keep a good online play ,and as everyone can see just looking at the stats the ships now are far more balanced and near to other ones , i mean now the slowest get 7 out of 10 of speed and the fastets 10, remember in w3o when the slowest were really slower and the fastest were really fast for exemple , i mean feisar had 1 out of 5 and you can feel it, i want to say feeling at first touch in HD the ships don't seems so different one by another...or i'm just wrong? i intend remenber the sensation of difference, of heavyness, using quirex after a lot of laps with assegai? or viceversa...

how do i unlock the skins for ships?

can i use the zone ship?

i wish to start a petition thread for ask SL to make Van-Uber and Tigron available as DLC since it have sense due that HD is set in between pure and pulse , and/or more skins for ships...
i know i never had play fusion and i never like the overall feel and art direction of that game , but first I'M FAN OF MORE SHIPS , second- i never had play with van-uber but i think his disctintive and unique traits can add even more variety to the team roster (who's already vary think at ships like mirage , who i think it's ugly in terms of design but for sure unique and original ) also i like very much the 3d model of van-uber in pure...
who is with me?
do you think if the demand is high SL should consider to add these ships or however more ships for future DLC packs?

sorry for the long post and thank u in advance

Norfolk'n'Clue
29th September 2008, 01:00 PM
The skins become available with loyalty points; The first is 4000, but I didn't notice the one after that. Possibly 10,000 to get the third skin? I'm sure someone knows.

blackwiggle
29th September 2008, 03:11 PM
Darkfaerytales.

Those ships [or ones similar] and more tracks are assured....if not assumed.

More stuff becomes unlocked as you progress through the Campaign.....I wouldn't want to spoil it by telling.

Quirex is no longer the overladen family station wagon [handling wise]that it used to be,actually it's probably the best craft to use up until you get to the mid point of the Head Rush campaign [the 5th one] and the best to use online on Venom and Flash speeds IMHO.[Those shields can save your butt]Lol!

Check points are gone,except the start/finish

My advise to get through WOHD for you,since it is all new to you,would be to play all the campaign cells of each grid,getting all gold [default is Novice],then you will notice that some[2] of those cells[weapons active ones] in that grid have an option [by pressing Square]to change the difficulty of the opposing A.I. from Novice to Skilled or Elite.

If you can get Gold on Skilled,well you could probably hold your own against the online players on those two tracks,if you can do it on Elite,well your well on your way to kicking some butt.

Another MAJOR difference between HD and the WO's that you are familiar with is the barrel roll,you DO really NEED to master this,if you don't your progress through the game will plateau at around the Vertigo campaign [4th grid]and you will be pulling your hair out wondering why,when you do perfect lap after lap,that you just cannot get Gold for a particular cell....a well placed and time barrel roll will be the answer.

Happy racing.....online has really breathed new life into the WO franchise.

Rubix42
29th September 2008, 03:15 PM
I do not believe that BR's are necessary for the TT and SL in the campaign. They are needed to set the best scores, but I have been obtaining golds in all the way up through Meltdown now without them (except in the most obvious places like jumps)

SouthendRage
29th September 2008, 03:27 PM
Good for you then. No BR's for a clean racer, do you think it is necessary to use them online?

blackwiggle
29th September 2008, 03:35 PM
I do not believe that BR's are necessary for the TT and SL in the campaign. They are needed to set the best scores, but I have been obtaining golds in all the way up through Meltdown now without them (except in the most obvious places like jumps)

Well I agree with you up to a point,that point being that Darkfaerytales has never played Pure or Pulse,so he could actually be oblivious to knowing that one is expected to do barrel rolls,in your words "In the most obvious places",if you get my drift.:D

Good for you then. No BR's for a clean racer, do you think it is necessary to use them online?

Well they can save you from going from 1st place to last,and no matter how much you might loathe BR's, they are now part of the game and people will use them to their advantage.

Online has really changed the pecking order,the old ways of winning just by keeping as perfect a line as possible just won't win you online races anymore.

Those kids brought up on Pure and Pulse will see you as easy meat and just fly right past you,or get so far ahead of you that you won't stand a chance unless you BR yourself.

I'm of the old school,but I can't halt progress [?] so I might as well join them,at least I'll have a fighting chance of retaining some dignity by not finishing stone motherless last.

darkfaerytales
29th September 2008, 04:08 PM
Darkfaerytales.

Those ships [or ones similar] and more tracks are assured....if not assumed.

More stuff becomes unlocked as you progress through the Campaign.....I wouldn't want to spoil it by telling.

Quirex is no longer the overladen family station wagon [handling wise]that it used to be,actually it's probably the best craft to use up until you get to the mid point of the Head Rush campaign [the 5th one] and the best to use online on Venom and Flash speeds IMHO.[Those shields can save your butt]Lol!

Check points are gone,except the start/finish

My advise to get through WOHD for you,since it is all new to you,would be to play all the campaign cells of each grid,getting all gold [default is Novice],then you will notice that some[2] of those cells[weapons active ones] in that grid have an option [by pressing Square]to change the difficulty of the opposing A.I. from Novice to Skilled or Elite.

If you can get Gold on Skilled,well you could probably hold your own against the online players on those two tracks,if you can do it on Elite,well your well on your way to kicking some butt.

Another MAJOR difference between HD and the WO's that you are familiar with is the barrel roll,you DO really NEED to master this,if you don't your progress through the game will plateau at around the Vertigo campaign [4th grid]and you will be pulling your hair out wondering why,when you do perfect lap after lap,that you just cannot get Gold for a particular cell....a well placed and time barrel roll will be the answer.

Happy racing.....online has really breathed new life into the WO franchise.

thank you black! i hope that yuo're right about download contect expecially for more ships...

actually i like barrel rolling, i know it is a maneuver not so popular among the most, but i like and i try to do it everytime i can , i'm on the right way to master barrels i think since sometimes i can do some using simple turbo boost and the dunes ( i don't know if it's a right terms anyway i mean the "waves" in some tracks ) in vineta k for exemple

lunar
30th September 2008, 12:22 AM
Could someone from SL say whether the tournament points bug is likely to be fixed?

HD plays so much better than Pulse online, and for that I`m grateful. But the points bug ruins tournament play. Tonight I did an enjoyable 12 race tour v 5 guys. One of them fought hard with me until race 10 when there was no mathematical way he could catch - so he quit :rolleyes: Then the points got inverted - despite winning 9 of the races I finished 4th of the remaining 4 in the tour and the guy who should have been last won it. I got the endurance trophy, but this bug makes tournaments kind of pointless, if the idea is to score as many points as you can. Every time someone has quit a tour I`ve been in this has happened.

Also does anyone know of a way to tell how many races there are in a tour before you enter? It would be very convenient to be able to tell at a glance, and sometimes 12 races don`t fit in.

blackwiggle
30th September 2008, 04:52 AM
Lunar

I only just twigged to this myself.

When you go online any particular race/tournament which you highlight [goes blue], have a look down in the bottom right and this information will be given to you about the highlighted one.

single race or tournament....speed class....weapons on/off.....list of track[s]

Sometimes you have to be quick,as while you are reading that info at the bottom the game could start, and then another race becomes the highlighted one as the list moves up. :D

You could always use the filter on the hosting page,[by pressing the triangle button] if you want to preselect what type of race/speed class/number of players/location of host [country]

lunar
30th September 2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info :+ the problem for me is that the tour has usually started or scrolled by the time I`ve read the information. Would be useful to be able to know straight away whether the tour is 4 or 12 races, or something else, because I don`t really mind what tracks it`s on. Unless I`m still missing something. :dizzy

blackwiggle
30th September 2008, 06:10 PM
It does,just have another look down it the far right of the screen...if it's a Tournament it will show a track name [say Moa therma] and it will have 3/5 meaning Moa Therma is the 3rd track raced in a 5 race Tournament.

I must admit that I find WOHD game instructions are at a bare minimum, and a few sub menus explaining exactly where to find things and how things operate would be welcome....maybe in an update [Hint Hint Colin]

sw1tch
30th September 2008, 09:23 PM
Ok i've played since the first Wo, and today i found that there is slipstreaming in this one...When did they add slipstreaming in the serie?

eLhabib
30th September 2008, 09:44 PM
There is?! Haven't noticed so far! :?

Flashback Jack
30th September 2008, 10:09 PM
I noticed some effect of this while scruntinizing some of the pre-release vids, but not enough to come to a conclusion about it because the speedometer flux wasn't clear enough to tell if speed was throttling more upward than down.

What clued me in about it was that there must be some benefit to the exhaust trails bunching up around the nose of a trailing ship, which is exactly what happens in HD.

- F

lunar
30th September 2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for your help, Blackwiggle, I`m very sorry and I fear I am being dumb here :redface: Do you mean on the main lobby with the list of races and tournaments that are available? That`s where I am looking for the info, but all I get in the bottom right is the logos of the tracks in the tournament cycling through slowly and no text at all. Maybe I get a different display? :dizzy

the only time I see something like 3/5 is in between races in the tournament, when it`s already started.

Rubix42
30th September 2008, 10:39 PM
Anyone know what happens when autopilot kicks in and you are instantly better, faster, stronger than all the other ships? Is it just playing an absolutely perfect line with perfect pitch, or is it just an advantage of the autopilot.

I can never accomplish the speeds the autopilot gets on my turns. Like the spiral up on sol2, the speed doesn't dip below 600 (phantom) and I hit a low of 450/500 to keep off the walls.

eLhabib
30th September 2008, 10:43 PM
Stephen, the font above the Track logos is really small (it also shows how many races in a tourney) - maybe you are unable to read it, if you're not playing at 1080p?

And yes, Rubix, the AP definitely uses some magic (or cheats, if you wanna call it that...)

Balrog
30th September 2008, 11:00 PM
Don't know if anyone else has experienced this one.

Last night, in one race I got a clean start on Vineta K and thought I was in the lead. Then I looked at the position rankings on the side of the screen, and discovered to my horror that I was (apparently) in last place! :eek

Then, when the race finished, I was listed as being in 3rd place. Weird.

Then, several times later during the night the race results would be out of whack. Eg, at the top of the screen it'd say I came 2nd, but the bottom section with rankings and times it clearly showed I came 3rd :dizzy

Is this lag, or a glitch in the system?

lunar
1st October 2008, 12:12 AM
I think that must be it, Martin. On my SD (which I think stands for "Sadly Deficient")TV there is absolutely nothing there. It`s a better explanation than Sony singling me out for a special "no tournament info" version. :)

DawnFireDragoon
1st October 2008, 12:21 AM
post deleted

cnmth
1st October 2008, 12:24 AM
Watch out for djAmZz from Sydney.....he is really good and very hard to beat and I think he might of knocked a few previous known champs [french ones at that] back into the pits licking their wounds,he's already got 3 and a half campaign grids gold done on elite level

Hehe im also good then?
Got all the campaigns on gold @ elite ;)

The skins become available with loyalty points; The first is 4000, but I didn't notice the one after that. Possibly 10,000 to get the third skin? I'm sure someone knows.

2nd skin comes available at 4000 points ye and the 3rd comes @ 8000 loyalty points.

Ok i've played since the first Wo, and today i found that there is slipstreaming in this one...When did they add slipstreaming in the serie?

I think there is no slipstream, the only thing there is, (maybe what u noticed) when u are behind someone with your craft's nose in the yet engine tail, then u see it burning.
This costs no energy or anything.

metalpancake
1st October 2008, 02:27 AM
I want to install linux on my ps3, but to do this I need to back up my system. I used the backup function on the ps3, but I don't know if it backed up Wipeout HD or not.

Any ideas?

Darkdrium777
1st October 2008, 03:01 AM
I think it backs it up. Anyways, and that I am certain about it: you will be able to download it again if it's not backed up. But I'm almost certain it is backed up too.
;)

metalpancake
1st October 2008, 03:37 AM
ok thanks. I will try

sw1tch
1st October 2008, 11:53 AM
I think there is no slipstream, the only thing there is, (maybe what u noticed) when u are behind someone with your craft's nose in the yet engine tail, then u see it burning.
This costs no energy or anything.
Graphically it looked so like slipstream, nice effect anyway, maybe they should add it in the next one.

darkfaerytales
1st October 2008, 03:35 PM
please can someone explain me better how work the fast start system with the red bar on the 3-2-1 countdown ?

also i want to know there're the concept crafts in HD?

i've really miss the old quick start metod...

big_lozbowski
1st October 2008, 06:55 PM
i've really miss the old quick start metod...[/QUOTE]
I hit X as soon as the 3-2-1 bar reaches the end. Try to time it to hitting it with "go". Not sure if that is correct but it works most of the time..

Hope this helps.

Rubix42
1st October 2008, 07:13 PM
It seems like the boost is tied to how closely to "Go" you hit the thrust. You can get a longer thrust by timing it closer to the end of the count, and shorter if you are off a bit.

fusionfrenzy
2nd October 2008, 01:25 PM
There's something i've been wondering about Zone mode, which is probably pretty obvious, but it's been niggling at me:

When you go over speed pads in Zone, does it affect how fast the zones go up? This probably sounds stupid, but the squares counter thing (WO3HUD) in zone seem to increase at a consistent pace - so am I making things unnecesarily faster for myself by hitting them in Zone? Or does it just bump your score up even though you don't need to hit them to increase Zones (if you dont need to hit them....). *Is confused*

rdmx
2nd October 2008, 01:44 PM
It adds about 100 points to your score everytime you pass over a speed pad regardless of zone.

Rubix42
2nd October 2008, 01:49 PM
To add to that, each zone is 10 seconds no matter what you do.

Protip for high scoring in Zone. BR's. Seriously, it's like a 1,000 or 2,000 point boost. I don't continue to do them after I get to phantom, but perfect zones are pretty easy to pull off up to that point.

rdmx
2nd October 2008, 02:05 PM
o.0 Really?
I didn't think they gave you a point boost. I've been enlightened :redface:
*insertcoin heads off to start rolling around like an idiot*

TearsToShreds
2nd October 2008, 06:34 PM
Not really a question, but I haven't been able to connect to Wipeout online for a few hours now. Webbrowser etc. works fine, but when I go to 'online' in Wipeout it just keeps connecting forever. Had it crash on me before as well while trying. Anyone else expierencing this? >_>

big_lozbowski
2nd October 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi I have a question. I notice that on Zone your shield energy does increase slowly. When does it increase is it just a gradual thing or do you have to clear a zone or hit a speed bad? Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was just wondering..

TearsToShreds
2nd October 2008, 07:05 PM
As far as I know it increases again after you complete a perfect zone (don't hit a wall for 10 seconds).

eLhabib
2nd October 2008, 08:31 PM
10% of your shield are recovered for each perfect zone. That doesn't automatically mean if you go perfect for 10 seconds, it will give you 10% back - if you hit a wall 1 second after entering a new zone, the next 9 seconds are irrelevant. The 10 seconds after that have to be perfect.

Balrog
2nd October 2008, 10:37 PM
Not really a question, but I haven't been able to connect to Wipeout online for a few hours now. Webbrowser etc. works fine, but when I go to 'online' in Wipeout it just keeps connecting forever. Had it crash on me before as well while trying. Anyone else expierencing this? >_>

There were network issues about 10hrs ago when I was playing online - getting disconnected from races, etc, and it wasn't just me. So there may've been issues with the server(s).

Lion
3rd October 2008, 12:48 AM
in all the preceding grids, you needed X points to clear the grid, and open the next one.
for the last few at least, the value was equivalent to all silvers plus one

Meltdown is the last grid. how many points are required to "clear" it?
and is it at this point that the bling skins are given out? or is it once you have a medal in each cell, regardless of points?

before anyone tells me I should be going for gold in each cell... I will, in time. but I want the shiny stuff NOW :P

eLhabib
3rd October 2008, 06:44 AM
the points are only for opening new grids. if you want TEH BLING, you will have to aquire a medal on every event.

darkfaerytales
3rd October 2008, 01:29 PM
i know maybe this is a strange question, i haven't time to play much in this days , so i come up with this is mind since i hanven't unlocked any skin yet but i have already seen some, my question is
are there a skin for triakis who isn't a camo ? this isn't a complaint , simply i don't like it...i preffer much the pure version

eLhabib
3rd October 2008, 01:30 PM
short answer? no.

darkfaerytales
3rd October 2008, 01:50 PM
thank you mate

Miths
3rd October 2008, 02:31 PM
I quite like the second Triakis skin though - grey/black ("urban") camo. And the third one - desert camo - doesn't look half bad either.
But of course if you hate camo patterns in general... :)

Speaking of skins. Anyone besides me who have found a number of the second skins better looking or more unique than the third ones?
Harimau, AG-Sys, Icaras, Auricom - very different colors and/or patterns for the second skins, while the third ones look more like variations of the default ones. And I was also rather underwhelmed by the look of the third skin for my favourite team, Qirex - it just seemed a bit bland compared to the first two.

Well, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a custom skin feature arriving at some point :).

Flashback Jack
3rd October 2008, 03:20 PM
Could I trouble you to fire off a few screenshots of the Ag-sys alternate skins? I'm curious as to what they look like.

- F

Miths
3rd October 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm afraid I probably won't be able to do that for another 10-12 hours, but maybe you can convince someone else to help you out there :).
I can tell you though that the second AG-Sys skin is light blue and white, while the third is back to red and white.

darkfaerytales
3rd October 2008, 03:33 PM
so the 3rd skin of triakis is desert camo :|

not that i don't like camo in general , but for me really don' t fit in a game like wipeout , true that it reflect well the militaristic and agressive image of the triakis but maybe 2 skin of that theme was enough...
also in pure the use of the metallic grey tone sorrounded by all the variety of colours bring with other ships teams add a feel of seriousness and contrast to the triakis ,like it says "don't **** with me baby " hehehe:o

about the skins in general i have to say, too may yellows, and every ships skin a part for few get a white base... WTF SL gets some form of white or yellow feticism:p ( not that i don't like it's just a consideration )

at this point i have fear to ask if there's a skin of assegai without the damned white between cyan and ochre

p.s. the 3rd qirex skin is the white one or the other purple pink combo?

blackwiggle
4th October 2008, 10:59 AM
Does anybody know if the data from your online gaming is both kept on your hard drive and able to be checked [stats wise]other than time playing game?

Reason being,I'd like to know how many online opponents I've eliminated to see how many more are need to achieve the AG Assassin Trophy.

It's AG league hunting season.

Axel
4th October 2008, 04:40 PM
As far as I know there isn't a way at the moment. But I'm sure if they update the website, that is one of the stats they will have on the website. I'm hoping they can flesh out the records section of the game to include more stats.

darkfaerytales
6th October 2008, 01:34 PM
again i have a couple of question about racing mechanics, about the sidestep i have notice that sometimes it isn't so responsive , sometimes i pull the trigger two times in the right maner and the ship get some vital istants before sidesteping, i wonder if it has to do with the handling of the ship, the sensibility of the air breaks or something other , or maybe there's something i do wrong...

eLhabib
6th October 2008, 02:28 PM
the harder you tap, the wider the sideshift - maybe reduce the sensitivity of the airbrakes?

darkfaerytales
6th October 2008, 02:37 PM
yes, maybe, i don't understand how it's better to set the sensivity...how it's work?

Virtical
7th October 2008, 12:16 PM
The sensitivity sets the 'active area' of the triggers, for instance, 100% sensitivity will give you full airbrake with the slightest tap of the trigger whereas at 50%, youll have to pull the trigger down halfway to acheive full airbrake, and say, 20% means youll really have to press that trigger to get full airbrake, but you get the other 80% of the trigger movement to give you varying amounts of airbrake.
hope thats not too confusing, im not particuarly good at explaining things :P

rdmx
7th October 2008, 12:18 PM
I think you've got it the wrong way around - 100 percent sensitivity will make you jam down the airbrake button to get full airbrake and so on- unless the principle for the accelerator does not apply here.

Norfolk'n'Clue
7th October 2008, 12:27 PM
As I understand it, if you set the sensitivity at lowest (10%), then it makes it closer to the binary 'on/off' - if you go further and set the airbrakes to the top two shoulder buttons as well, you might find it easier still. Even with the little plastic trigger adapters I found it more hard for a double tap.

eLhabib
7th October 2008, 12:28 PM
Correct, insertcoin, it's exactly the opposite way of how Virtical described it. If you set it to 100%, you have the finest response to slight pressing, but you really gotta press hard for full effect. If you set it to 10%, even a slight tap will give you full effect.

Virtical
7th October 2008, 01:00 PM
aha! i thought it might be the other way around after posting that >.<, i never really played with it, mapped them straight to L/R1 cause i dont like the feel of the triggers, ta for the info!

eLhabib
7th October 2008, 01:03 PM
even if you have it on L1/R1, it still is pressure sensitive! Might wanna try to reduce the sensitivity - when I did, I found out that I could actually break much harder than I had thought previously!

Nifton
7th October 2008, 01:11 PM
in other news: norfolk'n'clue <- that is an awesome name

LMAO, I used to know a chef who made his own norfolk sauce (a bit like lea N perrings) called Norfolk n' good

Virtical
7th October 2008, 01:11 PM
hrm, thanks, ill give it some trial right now :D

-----

That definitely helped, thanks, eLhabib.

Back on topic, does a higher thrust level on a craft give more of a speed boost over pads and on turbos?

Rubix42
7th October 2008, 04:08 PM
Too funny, I just realized that after I obtained the airbraker trophy, I never lowerd my airbrake sensitivity. So for almost a week I've been wondering why my airbrakes are no good, cause I don't push the buttons very hard:brickwall

Maybe I will pump up some times with more responsive brakes! Can't wait to get home and play tonight.

Darkdrium777
7th October 2008, 10:51 PM
Airbraker with sensitivity at 100% :O
Well, looks like I have some options to adjust :P

Syntek
8th October 2008, 04:01 PM
Airbraker with sensitivity at 100% :O
Well, looks like I have some options to adjust :P

Meh.

Acceleration: 10%
Air brakes: 100%

PILOT-B
9th October 2008, 04:02 AM
So I've got to ask, where does everyone have their air brake sensitivity at?

What do you guys think is the supreme setting?

Asayyeah
9th October 2008, 08:28 AM
suprem settings : no , my good 'old school' settings : yes :P

Acceleration: 10%
Air brakes: 10%

darkfaerytales
9th October 2008, 03:52 PM
i have a question not regarding HD but the background story , is canada too part of the ownership of auricom , 'cause i remenber in the team info of fusion was stated as it ( u.s.a & canada ) ,so i wonder if the second skin of auricom can be a sort of canadian version of the ship...just out of curiosity

another question: at this point is clear that in HD there isn't the concept ships as in pulse, then why there's a half dozen or more of shots around clearly showing another model of qirex ( slightly resembling the pulse concept ) just take a look at any of the game sites ( ign,1up,gamespot etc. ) , i ask this just 'cause to me those don't seems so early shots...

eLhabib
9th October 2008, 05:14 PM
but they are early shots.

Flashback Jack
9th October 2008, 06:00 PM
..is canada too part of the ownership of auricom ,

AG-SYS holds majority ownership up here, with Goteki, Feisar and Qirex all vying for second. :)

- F

Darkdrium777
9th October 2008, 07:16 PM
Ok so I'm part of Goteki. Who's Feisar and Qirex? :P

Flashback Jack
9th October 2008, 08:21 PM
Task and Spaceboy Gajo. Medusa is the other AG-SYS.

- F

Norfolk'n'Clue
9th October 2008, 10:02 PM
Good job there was no british companies. We'd've built one that was twice as fast as everything else, cost 5 times as much, powered by steam, but it would break down every 10 feet. ;)

taqili
9th October 2008, 11:36 PM
It's called Icaras, NoFork ;)

boogalogist
10th October 2008, 06:23 AM
Do you guys have screenies of ALL the alternate skins for ALL the teams?

(or know where I can find them?)

Norfolk'n'Clue
10th October 2008, 07:55 AM
You mean there IS a british team? Blimey...and it's the one I tend to use...and it breaks down... :D

What a happy co-incidence.

darkfaerytales
10th October 2008, 01:30 PM
AG-SYS holds majority ownership up here, with Goteki, Feisar and Qirex all vying for second. :)

- F

...maybe i have express myself wrong way, i intend auricom team is only u.s. or it's u.s. and canadian? 'cause in the fusion team info says " COUNTRY : USA/CANADA " in the later games is stated as simply NORTH AMERICA, who is a bit generic since actually also canada is in north america...so in short what is the answer , it is auricom only american( u.s.) or is american & canadian?

p.s. sorry. english isn't my mother tongue...

Lance
10th October 2008, 03:53 PM
You mean there IS a british team? Blimey...and it's the one I tend to use...and it breaks down... :D

What a happy co-incidence.

I find that the Smiths' instruments tend to break and the SU fuel pump sometimes stops working, but I love it anyway.

[old-school automotive joke. sorry. not. :D ]

KIGO1987
11th October 2008, 03:51 PM
Anyway to check your total accumulation of online kills in the game by anychance? I wouldnt mind seeing how far im to get the AG-Assassin trophy.

blackwiggle
12th October 2008, 04:31 AM
I've been asking the same question....just glad I don't know how many times I've been eliminated in a Trans Tasman tournament,they have never forgiven me for winning the first one when I was the only Aussie.

I think I might of given some of the NZ's that trophy in the tournament the other night.....boy of boy were they out to smash me.....rename them the "killer sheep team"....BAAAAAH...Blam!

captain howdy
15th October 2008, 02:35 AM
I tried searching for this and I ended up with 370+ unrelated results, so I don't know if this has already been answered, but:

You know that little star by some of your personal times in the online records menu? What does that mean? I have a hunch it marks your best time in campaign mode, but I'm not certain.

Asayyeah
15th October 2008, 09:33 AM
I am not too sure but i think it's related to Perfect lap

captain howdy
15th October 2008, 08:16 PM
That actually makes more sense.

NeilSmith
21st October 2008, 01:10 AM
At the scoreboard some players have DNF as status: I assume this means "Did Not Finish" ? or is it simply a tribute to Duke Nukem Forever? :)

captain howdy
21st October 2008, 04:40 AM
I don't see why it can't mean both. Considering the time it's taking Duke Nukem Forever to be developed, I think they're interchangeable, really. You should start using it in everyday conversation.

"Smithee, why didn't you hand in that report I asked you for?"
"Duke Nukem Forever."

Rubix42
21st October 2008, 05:03 PM
Here's something I am hoping someone can answer.

How does the computer recover from weapon fire so quickly? I get hit with a rocket, bomb, etc and I'm coming to a dead stop before I'm back on my way. The computer just seems to recover from it much faster. Is there a trick to getting going again quickly after a strong attack?

eLhabib
21st October 2008, 09:28 PM
It's called cheating. :(

Asayyeah
22nd October 2008, 03:13 PM
Before on Pure ( less in pulse since acceleration is way faster than pure)when i had a dead spot (i.e. 5 consecutive mines) i sideshift ( left or right) to get a mini boost speed then try to hit the nearest boostpad
But yeah like MArtin said AI clearly cheating

Rubix42
22nd October 2008, 06:42 PM
Well, that makes me feel better. I had tried everything. Letting off the thrust for a moment and firing back up, etc, etc, etc. Nothing worked. As long as it's just the AI cheating, I can deal with that.

Rapier Racer
26th October 2008, 06:48 PM
Why do weapons set the back of my ship on fire? I thought I had an energy shield that stopped everything making contact with the actually body of the craft? Makes no sense.

Since everyone is so obsessed with making Wipeout realistic, don't you think all this burning and flaming of my ship is going to cause a failure at some point no?

NeilSmith
27th October 2008, 04:31 PM
The fire effect behind your craft is most likely due to your aircraft overtaking the weapon trail. So if you fire a missile and it leaves a fiery trail, your craft will catch up with the trail. Maybe SL should make the trails shorter, or just make it dissapear once it hits a craft

Rapier Racer
27th October 2008, 05:26 PM
What? How can there be a trail if the missile hits the back of my ship? Surly any trail the missile left would end there instantly at the point of impact?

NeilSmith
27th October 2008, 06:37 PM
I might have misunderstood your question. I was under the impression that the missile was from your craft, not someone else's.

darkfaerytales
27th October 2008, 06:55 PM
Why do weapons set the back of my ship on fire? I thought I had an energy shield that stopped everything making contact with the actually body of the craft? Makes no sense.

Since everyone is so obsessed with making Wipeout realistic, don't you think all this burning and flaming of my ship is going to cause a failure at some point no?

actually you've pointed up an interesting fact, indeed it should work this way, your ship had an energy shield and in fact when you pick up the "shield" from the weapon pads it is in truth the temporary SHIELD of the SHIELD, the point is that as i think SL has inteded , when your ship reach zero energy don't explode immediately( as in 2097 ), but it just simple devoid of protection so what's up next cause to your ship to be detroyed, a simple collision at 700 km/h realistically talking sure cause such irreparable damage,
i think the flame effect is one of the cool effect ever in truth, but i don't know if it had much sense

lunar
27th October 2008, 09:23 PM
It makes no sense at all - it`s just pretty. I`m with Rapier Racer. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense if you really start to think about it.

Or as Rob has said - it`s the video game of the real event. It`s like Sensible Soccer compared to the real life Premier League. But that doesn`t stop it being the coolest game series ever. :)

crawdad62
28th October 2008, 02:52 PM
Can someone explain the button sensitivity settings for me? I want the acceleration button to have the most sensitivity it can get. So do I want it set to 100% or 10%? It seems like I rest my thumb in the X button and the square at the same time and half the time I find myself slowing down because I'm not pushing the acceleration button down enough.

Never mind. I found it earlier in this thread. Sorry. I swear I looked through it though. :-) Assuming I understand it correctly for the most sensitivity I need it set to 10%.

zeeZ
28th October 2008, 04:17 PM

Due to <scientific technobabble> your rear around the exhaust area is the only unprotected part for whatever reason you might come up with. To prevent the shield from shielding the thrust which would result in your ship sitting there like a (floating) pile of scrap? Doesn't explain how you mines cause that...

Or it's also the location of the shield generator or the area it's linked to the engine. It handles tiny hits just fine (like, for instance, your ship crashing into a wall at 1000km/h) but the huge blow those weapons deliver cause it to overheat and catch on fire.

Whatever it is, it looks nice even if you don't want it to happen to you lots :P

That sensitivity thing is really odd, depending on everyone's definition of "sensitivity". Set it to 100% and a gentle push is a tiny thrust, set it to 10% and the slightest touch results in full throttle... It's really confuzzling...

darkfaerytales
28th October 2008, 04:51 PM
It makes no sense at all - it`s just pretty. I`m with Rapier Racer. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense if you really start to think about it.

Or as Rob has said - it`s the video game of the real event. It`s like Sensible Soccer compared to the real life Premier League. But that doesn`t stop it being the coolest game series ever. :)

indeed

or simple. we cannot understand well how will works the technology of the XXIII century, and is cool at it is , to remain partially unexplained

Rapier Racer
28th October 2008, 04:54 PM
Ah but you see the old shield stopping the thrust bit would be easy to explain, do you watch Stargate SG-1?

See the ships are shielded but the shields are only one way they won't stop stuff being fired from the inside out only stuff being fired upon the ship. It would need to be this way for Wipeout or else the cannons would get smashed off surely? What about all the other stuff inderneath the ship that holds the other weaponry in place? You wouldnt want that burning to explode a rocket before you'd fired it off your ship now :D

mdhay
28th October 2008, 05:35 PM
Simple...:robotAdamantium:robot.

Lance
28th October 2008, 06:00 PM
That sensitivity thing is really odd, depending on everyone's definition of "sensitivity". Set it to 100% and a gentle push is a tiny thrust, set it to 10% and the slightest touch results in full throttle... It's really confuzzling...

Yeah, the 'sensitivity' setting seems to define the amount of button movement before 100 percent throttle is achieved.

Welcome to the WZ, zeeZ. :)

darkfaerytales
28th October 2008, 06:08 PM
mates, it's time that i have a interesting question that i forget to do everytime

what's up with the pilot of the 2nd and 3rd skin of feisar?

why there's a boogeyman inside the cockpit?

it's just SL had forget to add texture on the pilot model ,
or it's just my " copy" of the game ? want to know if it's the same for everybody, if someone else had the same lack

crawdad62
28th October 2008, 06:20 PM
@ Lance

Now that makes sense. That's why I was having trouble getting my head around the % settings. % of what? But your explanation seem logical.

Rubix42
28th October 2008, 07:08 PM
Going back to the fire question, I think that the shield that protects the ship normally, which is tied to energy, is a thin layer shield, when this shield takes weapons fire, the shield itself catches on fire. Once the shield is completely depleted, the next unshielded collision causes so much damage that the ship breaks apart. Especially because these ships are made of such thin, lightweight materials to be able to attain the speeds they reach.

Now the shield item pickup on the track is an overpowered shield boosts that exists around the ship, it is much stronger. However, it is in a ready state when activated. Meaning that when it sense an impending collision with a weapon, wall, ship, etc. it goes up to full power to completely protect the ship. However when no collision is imminent, it is simply surrounding the ship in passive mode to avoid disrupting the flight physics.

The competition commitee for the FX league decided that making this a short term ability added to the excitement and mayhem of the league.

See, it makes complete sense;)

b4p
1st November 2008, 05:39 AM
here's a random question: i suck at this game? answer: yes

Rapier Racer
1st November 2008, 01:42 PM
Thats really more of a declaration than a question :p

Maschinengeist
3rd November 2008, 08:42 PM
Or it's also the location of the shield generator or the area it's linked to the engine. It handles tiny hits just fine (like, for instance, your ship crashing into a wall at 1000km/h) but the huge blow those weapons deliver cause it to overheat and catch on fire.

Ok, I know I'm digging back up an earlier topic, but I like this explanation...not to mention, if the shield and engine were linked in their power source, it would certainly explain why your craft slows down any time it takes a hit, even from the rear; power is diverted from the engine to boost shield mitigation...just my $0.02, of course. :)

omega329
8th November 2008, 08:40 PM
*Dreams of Freespace style sheild/weapons/engine management system*

Fasty
12th November 2008, 09:58 PM
Ok I have a question. When racing online, I've noticed some ships are sometimes transparent and you can pass through them, yet others aren't (I think). Why is this?

b4p
13th November 2008, 03:57 AM
I *think* all the ships are transparent only for a few seconds at the very beginning of the race (and possibly after they blow up and respawn). Also, some people are using the silver campaign skins so that might be mistaken for transparency later in the race.

Asayyeah
13th November 2008, 07:50 AM
That is also the case when you play with someone who is at the antipode from you ( i.e. you are living in the euro zone and you play against Japanese or NZ pilots )

Sideshow
13th November 2008, 10:32 AM
In GT5P the cars ghost when another driver is being an ass (i.e. driving the wrong way, sitting parked on an apex) or when the network connection gets laggy. I'd guess the same applies in wipeout - if you sit motionless on the track for a little while then you'll ghost, I haven't tried it driving backwards (yet :P ). Sounds like latency can cause it too, judging by Asayyeah's post.

darkfaerytales
13th November 2008, 09:04 PM
maybe just a stupid question, for avoiding to start an entire thread about i ask here

wipeout HD have antialiasing?
i have a samsung series 5 full HD 32" TV, why the oblique lines appear to be likes the one you do in the microsoft paint , and sometimes there are grainy surfaces?
expecially in the shots i do with the photo mode...

Darkdrium777
14th November 2008, 04:35 AM
WipEout HD has a dynamic framebuffer (http://insidethedigitalfoundry.blogspot.com/2008/09/wipeout-hds-1080p-sleight-of-hand.html), basically what it means is that the game renders at a certain resolution (determined with the number of things happening on screen, ie the greater the action the lower that resolution) and is then upscaled to 1080p. Most of the times it runs at 1080p though, but for the few times it drops to the ''Upscaling method'' you will see aliasing because the native resolution of your screen (1920x1080) will not match the resolution the game is rendered at before being upscaled. So you will end up with a few pixels showing the same part of the image, thus the aliasing effect. If you take a screenshot at that exact time, well I believe it will carry over to the screenshot as well. Also I don't think WOHD does AA, since it is 1080p most of the times you won't see aliasing that much though.

Crob
14th November 2008, 09:35 AM
FYI, if you want nice anti-aliasing in photo mode make sure you enable one of the "heavy-duty" effects (either depth-of-field or motion-blur) - if you don't want to see the dof or blur, set it to the minimum level. This allows the game to use a sub-pixel jitter giving over 100x super-sampled anti-aliasing with floating point accuracy (which is one reason the image quality in photo-mode can look very high).

As for real-time AA, it depends on what resolution your running in. Photomode always runs at full resolution.

Lance
14th November 2008, 03:34 PM
Neat little trick. Thanks for the info, Chris. :)

darkfaerytales
14th November 2008, 07:42 PM
really i haven't enough words for thank you Crob and Darkdrium, it's very nice to know that isn't my tv since it's new i have bought it in mid july

thank you very much for the photo mode tips, i think someone should consider to start a thread about tips and tricks about photo mode , cause for one that isn't well up in that, like me, sometimes can be quite confusing

Darkdrium777
14th November 2008, 10:36 PM
Crob BTW unless it is actually you please thank the person who figured out the dynamic frame buffer. He is a genius :D This should be done for all games.

Crob
14th November 2008, 11:38 PM
Well, obviously theres no official statement to indicate whether or not WOHD is using any kind of dynamic resolution trickery, but *if* I were to implement such a system I would probably have nicked the idea from another PS3 game developed near liverpool which may or may not be doing a similar kind of thing (although no one seems to have spotted that it may or may not be doing the same thing ;) )

TBH I'm sure there are probably loads of games out there that have done it - its really not hard at all... (not that I'd know since I may or may not have tried it...)

rdmx
14th November 2008, 11:53 PM
Motorstorm / Motorstorm Pacific Rift by any chance?
(Evolution Studios)
Runcorn is very close to Liverpool = ]

Darkdrium777
15th November 2008, 01:27 AM
There's no need to be mysterious, your previous post kinda gives it away :D
What I meant to say is that every game should be like WOHD, run at 1080p and 60 (or 30, worst case scenario) using that same trickery :) While 720p is good, 1080p is truly the best so that's why I said I wanted all games to do it like WOHD. That would truly be awesome :rock

Although keep being mysterious, it makes the discussion much more entertaining :lol

Lance
15th November 2008, 02:17 AM
Go, Chris! :D

darkfaerytales
18th November 2008, 06:45 PM
why they had take out the " 3-2-1-GO! " voice announcer at the last minute?

there are videos from few days before release around web where you can see it

Rapier Racer
18th November 2008, 08:27 PM
Where are those cool arches on Moa Therma? You know the ones with the lights moving up them? Track lost character when those went.

darkfaerytales
20th November 2008, 01:52 PM
indeed, and why in HD metropia forward is metropia black minus a jump section and metropia white course don't exist anymore?

Mad-Ice
20th November 2008, 04:51 PM
I think SL did just the right thing with Metropia! Metropia White in Pulse is a very short track and everything from this track is in the HD version except the long sweeping turn to the left with the jump at the end! Metropia in HD is the black one from Pulse but better with no jumps and respawns. Metropia reverse is even better with the blind corner after the magstrip, superb!

OBH
21st November 2008, 01:04 AM
Do the weapon respawns repeat themselves? Ive always wanted to know.
I swear, once i get a boost, if i get only the same weapon pad each lap they repeat.

b4p
21st November 2008, 03:31 AM
who is AHHH-QUADZILLA

crawdad62
21st November 2008, 03:33 AM
Do they repeat? Sometimes. Actually I've had some that repeat lap after lap and I've had some that change. I'm guessing that's about as random as it gets. Way too few Quakes though!:blarg

darkfaerytales
21st November 2008, 03:20 PM
are there other cases of track modification a part metropia case?

Ricanebleu
22nd November 2008, 09:03 AM
I have a problem. Yesterday I went to one of my friends hoping for a couple of hours of w’o’’HD online. The thing is that when I entered the lobby even dough I had my ship selected the game started without me and a message that I have to join another game appeared[ in the upper left corner usually the name of the host should appear, this time it didn’t]. When I made a game I did manage to enter the race , but never in someone else’s race. I got a call this morning and it seems that now he doesn’t even sees the the games(lobbies). I know he didn’t had 50 friend in the list so the bug shouldn’t be caused by this, should it ? I don’t know what happens, it never happened before. Does anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas of what it may be causing it and how to remedy the problem? Thanks

blackwiggle
23rd November 2008, 03:03 AM
Sounds like the new game patch.
The online games auto start now 1.20 minutes after the 4th person to join.
What probably happened to you was you were just a little to late to join that game so it didn't let you join, even though you might of thought you were in it.

With your friend or you not being able to see the name up in the lobby,that can happen if the host has the friends filter applied and the friend trying to join in the race has only recently been added to the host's friends list.

KGB
24th November 2008, 11:50 AM
Just wondering what tactics some of you use when neck and neck with someone to barge them out the way.

Do you turn into them/sideshift or keep your line?

Im asking this as im getting bullied a lot and have had enough of it.:lol

I think i have been very brave in sharing my inner feelings with you.:redface:

lunar
24th November 2008, 02:33 PM
I think a lot of ramming is accidental, and I don`t know of any really fast pilots who use it as a main tactic.

I never deliberately ram people, even side by side on the ramp at Anulpha Pass. Well, unless they started it. I`ve heard that sideshifting people can work, but really I think it`s better to just focus on your direction.

But mostly when I do get rammed, deliberately or not, I just try to stay cool and focus on my racing line. Back off slightly if necessary then take them with a good line on the next turn. If it`s someone who is slower than you, but tries to win by ramming you off the track or into the walls, and they succeed once and it costs you the chance of winning the race, then my advice is just pick up some weapons and hunt them down like a dog until you hear the magic words. Contender Eliminated. :D

KGB
24th November 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Lunar

Some racers seem to veer off their line totally to come after me, but i never do as it wastes too much time.Unfortunately i always seem to come worse off. I guess ill have to toughen up a bit.

KIGO1987
25th November 2008, 07:27 AM
Do the weapon respawns repeat themselves? Ive always wanted to know.
I swear, once i get a boost, if i get only the same weapon pad each lap they repeat.

Interesting you mention that because i think that does actually happen. If you doing the average speed per lap going on the same racing line as the previous lap and going on the exact weapon pads and using them as frequenly as before you do get the same weapons as in the previous laps. Its a case of Deja Vu alot. There probably some math system that'll prove this case to be true, but you right there.

darkfaerytales
25th November 2008, 08:34 PM
i've read today somewhere in a post of a certain " fast start with airbrakes " now i still trying to remenber where , but i don't remenber ,someone could explain me what it should be this mysterious quick start using airbrakes?

OBH
26th November 2008, 09:05 AM
good question.
i noticed while racing pirhapac that he was always boosting ahead of me, even if i got a boost start.

whats that all about.

trentdf
26th November 2008, 09:54 AM
^ it may just be a timing thing, i've noticed in the lower speed classes the controller sometimes vibrates a second time after the boost start, but doesnt happen so often in rapier/phantom.

As for always coming off second best in a ramming contest, i think thats mainly due to lag. Maybe you guys dont experience it too bad as your racing ppl relatvley close, but im usually racing hollow people, and when they do ram, it seems they are on a weird line and completely immovable (its not nice being pushed aside by an assegai while your in a triakis ;))

darkfaerytales
26th November 2008, 02:13 PM
ok in meantime someone come and bring some light in that "mysterious quick start airbrake method " i'll try it myself too for understand if it exist and work for real, and i've another question:

my game stutter and lose some frame only and i reapeat just ONLY in one place in the entire game, in faster classes metropia forward, i reapeat only forward when you pass the last very large hairpin in the " bee like " dark and yellow stripped section just before the start grid section, do you have understand where ok?
and most important this stutter have appeared suddenly a certain day and wasn't there from day one , i'm sure 100% of this because it's very noticeable now and happens everytime i race in that place and first times i had play the game it wasn't exist

what it could be? ( note: i haven't download the new 1.2 patch yet )

OBH
26th November 2008, 08:06 PM
^ it may just be a timing thing, i've noticed in the lower speed classes the controller sometimes vibrates a second time after the boost start, but doesnt happen so often in rapier/phantom.

As for always coming off second best in a ramming contest, i think thats mainly due to lag. Maybe you guys dont experience it too bad as your racing ppl relatvley close, but im usually racing hollow people, and when they do ram, it seems they are on a weird line and completely immovable (its not nice being pushed aside by an assegai while your in a triakis ;))

no, no, i mean considerably faster than everyone, flying from 3rd/4th on the grid to 1st, and being on the first corner before the rest of us get there. i swear, some matey on anulpha pass reverse was on the long right hander before wed finished the first chicane, absolutely flew off the line.

read somewhere else about an airbrake start? not sure what thats all about, might have to make a new topic about this if no deffinitive answer.

darkfaerytales
26th November 2008, 10:18 PM
i think i'll past the night trying to discover how it could work

pirahpac
27th November 2008, 04:02 AM
good question.
i noticed while racing pirhapac that he was always boosting ahead of me, even if i got a boost start.

whats that all about.

ha?for my quick start i just press X just just after "go!"..thats all lol

Sideshow
27th November 2008, 09:12 AM
If you hit X bang on the Go you get a much stronger boost than if you hit it just after... but if you screw up and hit a fraction of a second early you stall. I always err on the side of caution, and try to hit just after Go - no amazing starts, but consistently good ones.

OBH
27th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Seriously are you guys joking??
As far as i can see im hitting it bang on go, but i have never, ever noticed my ship getting an even bigger boost. Especially not to the degree that some people get.

While racing with wellington yesterday one guy in particular was flying off the line.

pirahpac
27th November 2008, 11:03 AM
If you hit X bang on the Go you get a much stronger boost than if you hit it just after... but if you screw up and hit a fraction of a second early you stall. I always err on the side of caution, and try to hit just after Go - no amazing starts, but consistently good ones.

ooohh thk im new in this game (.....)but i keep my "just just after go!"

Sideshow
27th November 2008, 01:52 PM
I should point out that while I think I've experienced this, and I'm sure I've read it works this way, I may be entirely wrong about it. The fact that the AI always seems to get a stronger boost than the player suggests it does work this way (obviously the AI can hit at exactly the right time), but I wouldn't mind if someone else confirmed it.

darkfaerytales
27th November 2008, 02:35 PM
ok, excuse me if i do a break on the main daily topic, but i've a question:

some times ago i had verified in 2 player multiplayer that when hit an icaras straight on its back with a plasma shot it loses 47% of its shield

today when i'm racing, ( chengou p. ) just after the start i've picked up a plasma on the first or second grid ,don't remeber well, but i've shot the plasma and i've hit the icaras just before me , destroying it ( i know a case over a million, sincerelly i'm not a good shooter )
now, i'm sure 99.9 % that that icaras haven't got any damage before since the race have just start from about few seconds...

sincerelly i'm quite confused now:dizzy

game phisics and stats changes depending if you race in one player mode or against a human in 2 player, or what else?

could some of the programmer come down and tell a word about this , colin? crob?

crawdad62
27th November 2008, 02:49 PM
If you hit it just right you'll see the exhaust flare up. For whatever reason last night I couldn't get my timing right on any races.

Northchild
27th November 2008, 03:34 PM
Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked/answered before.

Online, depending on race class and the strength of the other racers, if I have an aggressive opponent who has been behind me for a while, I'll sometimes let go of the accelerator and will let them pass. Then, I'll hit them with missiles, rockets, quake, or whatever I have on hand.

I have no reason to believe that the opponent can't hear the "sonic boom" that sounds when I press the accelerator again.... it's just that I've never really heard that sound from other ships in a race and was wondering if it could be heard at all.

Thanks!

blackwiggle
28th November 2008, 03:03 AM
Damage done to other craft is dependent on how close you are to that craft when you shoot them.
You notice that the most when you play it cockpit view,if somebody hits you with a cannon for example,the craft will shudder to varying degrees depending on how close the attacking craft is.
If they are really close it is very hard to see where you are going,and you are hoping for a weapon pad pick up to absorb quickly as you shield energy has got really low.

darkfaerytales
28th November 2008, 01:22 PM
you still responding to me blackwidge?
if yes i tell you, i've done some test about how much a ship lose when hit by weapons, in 2 player i've shoted a plasma right on the back of the icaras at close close range ,i've attached the triakis right behind the icaras at few cm ( i was " playing " alone in 2 player ) and then shot, icaras have lost 47% , try yourself and see
then yesterday i've crippled an icaras in single race mode with only one shot of plasma, 8/10 sec after start...pretty foggy fact

Darkdrium777
29th November 2008, 12:37 AM
Perhaps it does more damage online to balance out the potential lag?

Tordmulen
2nd December 2008, 07:14 AM
I have some questions.

Does anyone know how much damage each weapon does? Also I read in this thread that mines and bombs linger for about 10 seconds, is this correct? Will the bomb blow up by itself even if its not triggered by a ag-racer?

When do the acceleration of the craft come into play? Is it only after you come off full throttle and floor it again or does the acceleration factor kick in when you hit speed bumps and/or use the speed bost "weapon"?

Is it possible to use the "pilot help" (the thing that keeps you off the walls) online? I suspect that it is possible but I dont like it. Can I when hosting a game turn it off for everyone in the settings?

Thanks in advance.

OBH
2nd December 2008, 02:12 PM
Anyone can use pilot assist online, but it limits you to 98% thrust. Plus the quick lines are often close to the wall, so i wouldnt worry about it online.

No you cant turn it off as the host.

Acceleration applies to the ship. You know, how fast it gets up to top speed? :)

Couldnt tell you exactly the damage of each, but an estimate of damage in order goes - plasma / quake / bomb / rockets (if all 3 hit) / mines (if hit all of them) / leech beam / missile / cannon

Darkdrium777
2nd December 2008, 03:13 PM
Mines stay for around five seconds, bombs for around twenty.

Norfolk'n'Clue
2nd December 2008, 09:56 PM
It might be nice if bombs stayed for at least one lap - then if you were last, at least it might be of some use :p

OBH
3rd December 2008, 12:38 AM
I thought your bomb lasted a whole lap.
I swear i come around to see my own bomb blow up moments before i reach it.

Darkdrium777
3rd December 2008, 03:04 PM
That's because a lap lasts around twenty seconds :P

darkfaerytales
4th December 2008, 12:56 AM
i've a question that going around my head from date

why there's a F7200 ag-sys craft silhouette together with the quirex and feisar one on the FX350 logo? what's the sense?

b4p
4th December 2008, 09:50 PM
does anyone else almost always have bad aliasing? I notice this before every race, in first-person mode, while the camera moves around. oh well, still the best game ever.

darkfaerytales
4th December 2008, 10:10 PM
oh friend! what a coincidence! i've just finish in another post ( the 1.2 patch one ) writing about bad aliasing , white snowing effect and frame loss problems

so for respond to you YES i have bad aliasing problems

lunar
5th December 2008, 11:54 PM
This is more of a random HD statement than a question.

anyway DO NOT change your PSN sign-in id (email address) for your PSN account or you may get error 80022D11, which occurs when you try to boot a trophy-enabled game, such as Wipeout HD.

I couldn`t boot the game at all, my HD save is corrupted and I had to start again to unlock everything :( At least with novice mode it`s possible to unlock a LOT quite quickly, but losing all of your ghosts, records and campaign progress is *tests forum swear filter*

this a Playstation problem, not a Wipeout HD problem, of course.

Task
6th December 2008, 12:18 AM
Oh, you can't change it back?

darkfaerytales
6th December 2008, 04:47 AM
at what about you still refering lunar?

lunar
6th December 2008, 09:06 AM
I thought that might work, Jay, but this error corrupts your save file. It`s a problem with the Trophy system, I think, not limited to HD. The only way to get rid of it and get trophy games to run is to delete your PS3 user account and the saves. If you backup the save, make a new account, and restore, the problem returns. I could have probably restored the ghosts, but I will set new ones anyway.

I suppose the lesson is: backup your stuff. A save from before the corruption occurred would probably have been ok. Anyway I hope people have been warned not to change sign in email address because it`s pretty annoying.

darkfaerytales
10th December 2008, 08:33 PM
can someone come to explain that FXXXING DAMN airbrake start god please!!! i have spot another post in the bug report thread where a mate do refering to this

OBH
11th December 2008, 12:09 PM
does that really count as a quick start?? some guy on alulpha pass reverse did that start, and was a good pilot - i just couldnt catch him, always a ships length behind. Though when the finished it said he was second, and happened every time he did that start.

My questions are - who is flashback jack? :) why does he hold nearly every single hd speed lap record, and why if hes so good have i never seen him online.

Darkdrium777
11th December 2008, 01:08 PM
Flashback Jack? You just missed him (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/member.php?u=2843).

OBH
11th December 2008, 01:21 PM
shame ive never seen im online. hes got some nuts times.

kaori
11th December 2008, 01:30 PM
He hasn't internet at home, but he sometimes connect his PS3 to update his times record.

eLhabib
11th December 2008, 05:40 PM
He certainly is an ace pilot - unfortunately he isn't on wipEoutzone anymore, as he was banned for several offenses of general douchebaggery ;) But yeah, he dominates on the leaderboards, no clue how he does it. Probably lots of spare time.

And the so-called 'boost start' you guys are referring to - that's just a synchronisation problem with online play. The game doesn't synch up correctly sometimes, so some players accidentally start a couple of (split)seconds ahead of everyone else. Then, when the race starts on your screen, the position of the early-starter is corrected to where he actually is (a few seconds ahead) - so it looks like he is speeding off.
In the end, the only thing that matters is the total racetime, though, so at the finish line the true position in the race becomes clear.

OBH
11th December 2008, 07:11 PM
once a dooch, always a dooch :)

KIGO1987
12th December 2008, 12:22 PM
I did alot of online races with Flashback Jack earlier on in the year when he was around a wireless net connection. Pretty cool to race againest him, every single race was a nail biter. Unfortunatley he holds a bit of a grudge againest me againest now, which is a bit of a shame, over this;
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4322&highlight=petit-scarab&page=157

But the ultimate fate was this :( ;
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4609&highlight=flashback&page=12

Not meant to be rude to anyone but post 118 on that thread was, lets say, LOOOOOOOOL.

Ally
14th December 2008, 03:15 PM
Not meant to be rude to anyone but post 118 on that thread was, lets say, LOOOOOOOOL.

Yeah, bit harsh I think..

eLhabib
14th December 2008, 08:12 PM
Desperate times demand desperate measures - let's put it that way. Nothing wrong with how Mr. Infoxicated handled the situation.

OBH
18th December 2008, 02:06 PM
The player nationality flags have just disappeared from online lobbies on my tv. Any idea why???

I know if you have a standard non-HD TV they are replaced with grey stars, as ive played wo online at my mates house, though theres no logical reason theyd have myseriously vanished as i have a hd tv.

Asayyeah
18th December 2008, 02:25 PM
i am often travelling with my ps3, changing setup everytime between sd tv ( 480p/576P) to lcd tv ( 720P,1080i & P)
I noticed when you pass from sd tv to lcd , you may have to change the screen resolution it's not automatic ( from what i know) so maybe on your case you ll have to go to the XMB set-up and screen set up to let you change and got the 720P or higher ( so that you ll be able to see the flags again)

Or maybe it's just a bug from online?

guillaume
18th December 2008, 02:37 PM
I was wondering if using the rear-view button while racing online still froze the game?
Or has it been fixed with one of the game updates?
I sometimes want to use it, but never dare since the game froze on me twice because of that...

darkfaerytales
18th December 2008, 02:49 PM
umm...it was happen to me too, sometimes...

leungbok
18th December 2008, 05:43 PM
it happened to me too last night. But i didn't thought it was the cause.

Darkdrium777
18th December 2008, 07:19 PM
"You looked back... Awww smack!"

;)

KIGO1987
19th December 2008, 04:40 AM
I think the rear view bug has been killed when patch 1.20 came out, i havent had any game freezes since then (good)

Now any solid news on any Expansion packs for Wipeout HD anytime soon??

PILOT-B
22nd December 2008, 06:10 PM
Have any of you guys ever experienced someone you were ahead of all of a sudden drop out of the sky and appear before you only to cheaply steal an online race??

I'm not making this up.

Amorbis
22nd December 2008, 06:15 PM
What track where you on Pilot-B? If it was a track like Ubermall with a slope that could be used to boost ahead then they probably used a boost and just got ahead. It has happened to me and I'm sure it'll only be people using last second boosts.

KIGO1987
22nd December 2008, 06:15 PM
Yes, its what you call really bad lag.

trentdf
23rd December 2008, 09:02 AM
After playing a reverse track zone, i realised the colours went backwards (which i find awesome), but i was wondering if it always starts at mach 1 colour scheme, or if it should start at supersonic colour scheme, or if the furthest you've got is the start colour scheme? If it's the last im gonna be pissed cause the one time i got to supersonic i forgot to take a picture, and apart from youtube i don't think im ever going to see that colour again :(

KIGO1987
23rd December 2008, 09:27 AM
Ive got a photo at that speed (not me unfortunatly) Looks sik. Be happy you got zone zues dude, thats a tough one to get.

Connavar
30th December 2008, 05:47 PM
After playing a reverse track zone, i realised the colours went backwards (which i find awesome), but i was wondering if it always starts at mach 1 colour scheme, or if it should start at supersonic colour scheme, or if the furthest you've got is the start colour scheme? If it's the last im gonna be pissed cause the one time i got to supersonic i forgot to take a picture, and apart from youtube i don't think im ever going to see that colour again :(
it starts at supersonic but before you even start it goes to mach 1 colors.

KIGO1987
30th December 2008, 10:38 PM
Yep. Pretty much thats how it goes.

-----

Anyway, how are you guys celebrating NYE around the world?

djKyoto
31st December 2008, 12:25 AM
Anybody figure out when bombs go off?

Someones they go just as you drop them if someones behind you and you get caught up in the blast, while other times they don't and just randomly go off whenever, and you see you own bomb explode infront of you before you lap it.

BARTgai
31st December 2008, 05:35 AM
I'm pretty sure the bombs are on a timer like they were in pulse. If they are not hit after about 30 seconds or so after being deployed, they will self-destruct.

eLhabib
31st December 2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, and it's 20 seconds I think.

Darkdrium777
31st December 2008, 08:13 PM
Closer to 20 seconds I think as well, because it's only at Phantom that you can lap your bombs, and laps always last around 20 seconds.

OBH
2nd January 2009, 11:09 AM
Ive noticed that while hosting, as i come out of a race the "extend timer" screen is still there for a few seconds.

However, at the bottom of the screen next to the "quit" icon, is the word "spectate" that quickly dissappears.

Was there originally going to be a spectator feature???

trentdf
4th January 2009, 02:49 AM
regarding bombs, does anyone else have a problem with where it is placed online? i think it may be a lag thing, but honestly a bomb will blow up on me more often if i miss it, very rarely will it explode if i fly straight through it. There is also a delay sometimes-
here's the scenario- "uh oh, a bomb, better avoid it. oh good, i missed it.
... ... KABOOM! WTF?!?! I COMPLETELY MISSED THAT!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

leungbok
4th January 2009, 06:12 AM
Yes mate, i totally agree with you, the pulse/pure bombs had a less illogical behaviour :?

rdmx
4th January 2009, 07:32 AM
These laggy bombs are very annoying and I'm sure many a race has been lost because of them. The mines work though but the chances are that these are strewn in a different place to the line that the person in front took on THEIR screen. The bomb that you hit I suspect is the 'actual location'.

Laeke
4th January 2009, 10:51 PM
The bomb-lag thing is a bit annoying, you are taking a bet: will it blow? No way to tell...
As far as I can tell, I experience it and so is everyone.

A question though, still about online. Sometimes on open sections, like the Anulpha shortcut, a ship in front of me will take a large curve out of the track (as jumping to their death... or respawning) but get back on track. I suppose it is also a lag/extrapolation thing but it is a weird thing to look at (saw it for sure at Sol 2 as well)?

Wellington86
6th January 2009, 12:39 PM
Hmm I have never taken the behaviour of bombs to be down to lag. If you look at a bomb you see there is a widening ring of light that repeatedly emanates outward from the bomb itself to the red ring around the bomb. I think this represents the size of the area in which you will detonate the bomb by entering.

So if you reach the bomb when this ring of light is not visible the bomb has no area of detonation which is why you can pass right through it, while if you reach the bomb when the ring of light is at its widest you will detonate it even from the other side of the track on Moa Therma (although I don't think it reaches across the widest parts of Anulpha Pass).

And if you listen to the sound that accompanies this effect you can hear that there is a pause between each 'emanation', which explains why it is possible to pass by a bomb unscathed about 50% of the time.

I can't prove any of this, but it's what I've always thought is happening. None of the other weapons lag at all, even when half the weapon pads aren't working and everyone is a ghost, so I don't think this has anything to do with lag.

Darkdrium777
6th January 2009, 02:30 PM
It's not lag, it's a synchronization issue between all the PS3s playing in the same room, which is why bombs appear in different spots on everyone's screens. The problem is that this placement is irrelevant, the bomb will only detonate if you actually hit the spot where it was placed by the one who launched it. The ships also behave with prediction calculations made by your PS3, then these predictions are corrected with the next packet of information. I guess the problem comes with the fact that bombs are programmed to appear behind the ship that launches it, not in the actual spot where it is placed, when playing on the internet. Or something like that. It's weird that mines work a lot more times than bombs though, you would think they would use similar code, just a different timer and area of effect, physics effect and graphics effect.

eLhabib
6th January 2009, 03:19 PM
Wellington, if what you described really was the way the bombs work, that would be a terribly stupid design choice! Because the only way to avoid being blasted would be slowing down to pass through the bomb at the right time! I wouldn't think that SL designed it that way...

Apart from that, I never noticed the effect you described myself, but maybe that's because I close my eyes real tight everytime I am about to hit a bomb ;)

crawdad62
6th January 2009, 03:38 PM
I close my eyes real tight everytime I am about to hit a bomb ;)

I know you probably meant that jokingly but I actually did that last night. Well I was playing like :turd but still having fun and I was so far behind that I wasn't really worrying about anything and I round a corner and there's a bomb and I just knew it would explode the second I got to it and as I passed I sort of "cringed" and closed my eyes. Of course it did explode:P

Wellington86
6th January 2009, 04:03 PM
The point is not really to slow down for it but to just hope you get lucky. I too brace myself every time, lol. Darkdrium has himself given perhaps the best reason why this is not a synchronisation issue, namely that mines work 100% of the time. But I have a couple of others as well.

Bombs are almost always found to be dropped in logical places, e.g. on the fastest or most obvious racing line. If you change course and fly near the wall you will often still cause the bomb to blow up and slow you down. Why would someone have dropped a bomb right next to the wall? Also, it not only seems highly unlikely that the player has dropped the bomb in a very strange place, but that that strange place just happens to be exactly where you drive to avoid the 'fake' bomb. It happens too often for it to simply be a case of you coincidentally driving into the invisible, 'real' bomb.

The other point is that if the bomb functions how you propose it does, it has very little to differentiate it from the mines. It's just a big mine that stands on it's own. I think more thought went into it than that, and they decided to provide a chance of its not going off, which they balanced by making the bomb the weapon that most slows you down (except for being hit by all three rockets at once or all five mines at once), and by giving it varying detonation proximities.

I might be wrong on exactly how the bomb works, but I do think its behaviour is intentional.

Darkdrium777
6th January 2009, 05:28 PM
I think you misread my post a little Wellington. I did say I think this is a synchronization problem. You introduce another question now that even makes it more likely, in my opinion. Let me draw out example situations.

I'm sure all players of WipEout HD are aware of the ghosting of crafts and the laggy behaviour, sometimes your opponents online fly through walls, don't get hit by your weapons, etc.

Well I think this is affecting the way bombs work, rendering the weapon almost ineffective when dropped in a wide open space.

You are on the track, and have a bomb pickup. You drop it right in the middle of the track (Say, in front of a speed pad, like I usually do :D). Well there are many things that can and have happened to others as well as me I'm sure from that instant.

First: your opponent flies into the bomb on his screen, it explodes. No problem, that's how it works.

Second: your opponent does a sideshift or another evasive manoeuvre, and dodges the bomb on his screen. It doesn't explode. Again, that's how it's meant to be.

The two above cases probably mean that lag, ping, latency, synchronization, did not have an effect on the game at that particular time.

However, many more things can happen.

Third: Your opponent flies straight into the bomb on his screen. It does not explode. What can be the cause? Synchronization I think. I think that at that precise time, while he flew right in the middle of the track on his screen, he didn't on your screen, thus he didn't hit the bomb you launch. Which didn't make it explode.

Fourth: Your opponent dodges the bomb. It explodes. Again, a synchronization problem, but of the reverse effect. On his screen, he didn't fly through the bomb, but on your screen, because of the sync issue, he did, thus making your bomb explode. BANG!

Imagine the rest of the situations, like the bomb appearing in a different 'fake' spot on his screen because of sync problems, so he flies in the middle which appears clear, thus hitting the 'real' spot, making the bomb explode again. Etc. Etc. ;)

eLhabib
6th January 2009, 09:38 PM
Sounds very logical to me. Actually, it's very easy to clarify this. Does it happen in splitscreen multiplayer?

blackwiggle
6th January 2009, 09:58 PM
How could there be a sync issue on a split screen multiplayer game?
Both players game data is being produced by the same console.

I think the bomb issue is an online problem ,same as the dreaded non functioning weapons pads which ruined a few races again last night,as well as the ability to fly straight through an opponent [collision detection not in sync]

I doubt if these issues would be replicated in split screen mode.
Though stranger things have happened,but I'd be surprised if it did.

zeeZ
6th January 2009, 10:00 PM
I always assumed stuff like that was also controlled by the host. For instance when I was racing someone from Japan and went over a weapon pad, it took ages for me to actually get the weapon. So if you dropped a bomb, the host would place it wherever it thought you where when you said you'd drop it

Darkdrium777
7th January 2009, 01:35 AM
No, these problems only happen online. Split screen is slower than single player (30FPS vs 60FPS), but the weapons work the way they should.

eLhabib
7th January 2009, 07:48 AM
That's what I thought. So in splitscreen, if you go wide around a bomb, there is no way it can go off? And if you go straight through it, there's no way it doesn't blow? In that case, Wellington's theory of a varying trigger radius around a bomb is proven false, and it's really just a synch issue.

Wellington86
7th January 2009, 01:17 PM
I think you misread my post a little Wellington. I did say I think this is a synchronization problem.

I know you said it was a synchronisation problem, my point was that even as a proponent of that idea you still provided the best reason why it is likely to be wrong.

Clearly though I am wrong if bombs don't behave like this offline. I'll race the AI later on and see what happens there. Looks like I've been giving SL too much credit ;).

Connavar
7th January 2009, 10:49 PM
About the bomb issue online, it never happens offline, I played recently against
the AI and even if you barely avoid it, it'll never explode.

It's really strange that mines are unaffected...

I don't know how they made this bug, but it should work this way,
say A is the player using the bomb, and B is the player hitting/avoiding
the bomb.

If A is just in front of B and uses the bomb, then the game can detonate it if
A thinks it should hit B, or if B thinks it should it him (so both points of
view are correct), or the server itself can decide. But if there is some lag,
then B might not see the bomb yet and then it'll avoid the bomb while A knew
that it had to hit him, so maybe it's best to use A point of view.

Now if A used the bomb and 1 second (or more) later, B hits it or avoids it,
in this case it's up to the B computer (ps3) to decide if it's really avoided
or hit.
It shouldn't be A nor the server, A knows he used a bomb but doesn't know what's
going to happen so if it doesn't explode he won't care (he would in the first
scenario because he knew for a fact that he was just in front of B).
It shouldn't be the server because the server doesn't really know all the exact
positions of B ship.
So it should be B, if B ps3 thinks that B player avoided the bomb, then it
should be so, after all B player did the correct movement to avoid it, one
he practiced offline, and if it exploded then he won't understand why.
This should be done even if the bomb is really placed at another place,
nobody will know that.

^ If I had to code it, I think I would do it this way.

Sideshow
8th January 2009, 12:04 AM
Just tested the bomb (I used split screen but you really don't need to - just fly around til you get one, then slow down, drop it, stop, turn around and go back). You can get your ship right up to it and it wont go off til you poke your nose inside the sphere.

Laeke
8th January 2009, 09:20 AM
What is the Weapon pads issue?

I tought it was part of the game, that sometimes you would pass upon a weapon pad at a bad time, when it is "not active", a bit like what happens when chasing someone and he gets the weapon. I noticed that in some online races, you would be deprived of weapons for a complete lap or more, even though you are not close behind another craft... although it happens more in the pack, so I guess maybe another sync/lag/extrapolation issue?
I have also seen the lag between the moment I fly over and when the weapon is activated, I guess it cannot be avoided.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another possible online issue. Sometimes whan I want to join a game, I will have a message "An error occured while trying to join the room" (and not because the race started). Sometimes if I try again, i will join the room, sometimes the game continues giving me the same message. I tought that was maybe linked to "friends only" races or a "full room" thing but I am not sure of that: I saw that happening in seemingly empty lobbies and if it was friends only, I shouldn't be able to join it 10 seconds later (the host could have changed the setting, but I do not think it is likely that it happened several times?)

afatsuoM
8th January 2009, 08:37 PM
Can someone give me some tips on how to do better barrel rolls? I'm getting really frustrated trying to nail barrel rolls on phantom speeds. Especially flying over small jumps, 90% of my barrel rolls just don't work. Like the jump after the first corner on Sebenco Climb. Sometimes I even get in trouble flying down the big drop in Chengou Project. I yank the left analog stick from left to right to left and... nothing happens.

I tried different techniques like doing a left right left right left right etc. (up to eight), but that doesn't help much. I also tried making a few circles with the analog stick, but that doesn't help much either. These techniques get me to maybe 80% failure rate (not enough!). Using the d-pad gets me to 50%, but i can't get used to racing with the d-pad.

The problem is mostly with small jumps, but like i said; a lot of times even the big drop in Chengou Project or jumping off the shortcut in Anulpha Pass.

Looking at video's online, everyone seems to pull off barrel rolls a lot quicker than i do.

Tips anyone?

crawdad62
8th January 2009, 08:48 PM
What I've found is less a deliberate L-R-L and more of a lrl if you know what I'm getting at. More of a reflex than an actual move.