PDA

View Full Version : Random HD Questions that don't need a thread of their own.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Vartazian
4th August 2009, 12:10 AM
Completley false, What a load of rubbish, Maybe he would just say that so that you would work harder at getting a higher rank ;)

CJS
4th August 2009, 07:47 AM
For anyone with Pure and HD:
The box that Pure comes in, on the inside, where the UMD goes, there's a logo that is really similar to the FX-350 logo... I think I have the European box art, 'cause South Africa is usually linked to Eu:?: Anyone noticed it?
PS. In Pure, win the Gamma tournament on Rapier class then go to Progress and select the medal, you get a BLING FX300 LOGO! w00t

stinkleroy
4th August 2009, 10:49 PM
Yeld, you need to press the triangle button on any of your stored PS3 songs to bring up the menu...pic attached :)

yeldar2097
5th August 2009, 08:04 PM
thanks a lot stinkleroy, i was just being a tit...
still had to select each individual song for the playlist though....
down --> 'X' over 1500 times. not the most interesting thing i've ever done :P

moving on...
can one of the clever people tell me how this lag works:
- i started a race 8.4 secs behind - fair enough, lots of lag
- next checkpoint i was 4.3 secs ahead
- next checkpoint i was 6.4 secs behind
- etc..... much like a yoyo
- i eventually won by 20 seconds

GreenPhazon
5th August 2009, 08:10 PM
Can anyone else not invalidate their speed laps anymore? I've been ignoring the problem hoping it was just a minor thing but it means I have to get the boost starts the old way :frown:

Aeroracer
5th August 2009, 08:11 PM
cant say i have..

for me its holdL1 for 3 seconds..:nod

Hellfire_WZ
6th August 2009, 07:26 AM
Yeah, you need to hold the button down this time, makes it much more difficult for people to do the BSB technique.

GreenPhazon
6th August 2009, 10:28 AM
Oh right, I thought it was just a tap like when it was SELECT.

I'll try it out later.

Farside
7th August 2009, 02:38 AM
Is the Arcade Perfect Progress stat borked?

Recently I turned my attention to getting the Arcade Perfect trophy.

Having spent so little time on the reverse versions of the tracks I figured I should spend some time with them on Rapier class to learn the tracks before going Phantom.

So I loaded up Vineta K on Elite Rapier and won.
For whatever reason, I went back to the stats screen and under the Arcade Perfect Progress stat it now showed Vineta K reverse as red/attained/a win.... however you want to say it.

What gives? I know I only raced it on Rapier, not Phantom... I know I never won prior to this on Phantom... I know that stat wasn't there just prior to racing...
Did they change the requirements for the trophy or is the stat screen borked?

CJS
9th August 2009, 07:57 AM
Dunno, but i'm gonna do rapier elite from now on, just to not be sure! :P
What is being said in Le Night Dominator? I can't hear the words!! It's driving me crazy... sorry...

Darkdrium777
9th August 2009, 08:26 AM
Who wants to see le night dominator. Plenty of times. And miss-pronounced.
That's my guess.

Evoss
9th August 2009, 04:13 PM
hello guys
i want to ask which ship is the best use for time trial in meltdown ?
i have 2 tracks there which they are horrible driving me carazy
viena k 5 laps and that other one is one on the up left
thnx

Darkdrium777
9th August 2009, 06:17 PM
Use the ship you are most comfortable with. There's no "best ship" in WipEout HD, though for time trials if you want look at the leaderboards and use the same ship as the person who has #1 world record (But really you can do it with any ship)

Practise is key, do speed laps until you are able to do near perfect laps with all the barrel rolls and never slowing down (Letting go of the thrust button.)
Then you'll beat the campaign no problem.

Evoss
9th August 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi
I achieved campagin legend long time ago my best ship is icaras (silver)
Just need finish two stages in meltdown on skilled diff.
I have them finished on novice only (gold)
Barrel roll doing me problems in vieneta k

DividedXZero
12th August 2009, 06:07 PM
Well I had noticed this a while back, and last night while i finished my dinner and let WO run its demo showing the tracks and so forth, i realized how prevalant this was.

From various structures like the Tech de Ra dome, the Auricom ad in (Amphesium i believe), parts of the track, an active ship shield, and even Assegai's outer skin structure.

Why the hexagon, honeycomb design?
It's a constant throughout the game.

Is it its functionality and versatility in design?

Easy to work with whatever software they use to Create wipeout?

Is it technically needed? (Since it's not everywhere and used for everything, yet used a lot though)

Or is it just a personal preference of SL?

-Thoughts, comments, opinions... :)

Darkdrium777
12th August 2009, 06:47 PM
Hexagon madness started in Pulse (http://www.wipeoutpulse.com/en_US/index.html) ;)

DividedXZero
12th August 2009, 07:05 PM
True...i forgot about that, but in HD i can see it so much more than in my psp screen. ;)

And that makes sense, considering many HD/Fury tracks are derived from the Pulse game.

But why the hexagons?

Darkdrium777
12th August 2009, 07:08 PM
Because they have six sides. :g

No idea, maybe it's to have a more "futuristic" feel. Look at the Pulse site, it's pretty awesome IMO.

DividedXZero
12th August 2009, 07:17 PM
yeah, i've seen it. I was just looking for theories as to why that shape was chosen for so many design aspects. It is a nice different approach to our standard over use of squares and rectangles.

Look around you, lots of squares and retangles all over the place.
Frame around your computer screen, stair steps, pc towers, billboards, books, filling cabinets, ceiling tiles, calendars..etc...etc...

I'd like an architech's point of view... ;)

crawdad62
12th August 2009, 07:25 PM
That honeycomb structure is prized for its weight to strength ratio.

Darkdrium777
12th August 2009, 07:44 PM
Actually my PC tower is the Antec Nine Hundred (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjM=), which has plenty of hexagons on it :D

DividedXZero
12th August 2009, 07:49 PM
Actually my PC tower is the Antec Nine Hundred (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjM=), which has plenty of hexagons on it :D

Yes, but you see what i mean. The overall outline and even the front is sectioned off into rectangles. :)

Lance
12th August 2009, 08:05 PM
Maybe they got used to seeing the Ridge Racer 6 main menu and it just permeated their souls? ;)

darkfaerytales
13th August 2009, 03:21 AM
have you ever listen about geodetic domes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome

quite futuristic and charateristic kind of structure, the engineers still study the real applications of these structures, i've watch a documentary on discovery last night about the plan in the near future to cover the entire city of austin ( i think was austin, i'm not sure of remenber well ) with such dome

believe me, when SL tell us that they have talked with futurologist and they have studied various fields to develop the game environments , they don't say lies

CJS
13th August 2009, 07:12 AM
Got AG Assassin yesterday... won't be online for a while
Why can't you change back to the original SL opening video? And why isn't there a proper opening video? :(
PS. That Austin dome thing, that was on Mega Engineering, right? lol that's cool... yeah, those things are all over Tech de Ra, there's one in the Amphi as well

darkfaerytales
14th August 2009, 08:35 AM
yes :D it was on mega engineering right :+
an yes that domes actually are the idroponic greenhouses of tech de ra, since it is in fact an idroponic farm where around has been built the track
and a couple of them are on amphiseum too, the climate would been not much different since it is in nevada...and i think nevada of the 23th century...umm

SonicChaos
15th August 2009, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know how to get the timer when starting a game online to go to 15 seconds or so because I can't find how to do that.

rdmx
16th August 2009, 04:09 PM
When you have 4 or more players, just leave the game idle and you'll eventually get the 15 second countdown.

CJS
17th August 2009, 01:00 PM
Hey, has anyone noticed this: The Modesto Heights starting grid, that pointy thingy above the track, it says 2197 on the bottom like in the Pure Vineta K... thought it was 2207 now 0_o

Aeroracer
17th August 2009, 01:03 PM
@farside..as far as i am aware, you got to win on phantom speed only elite seting..rapier wont work for that trophey..:hyper

Darkdrium777
17th August 2009, 05:01 PM
Hey, has anyone noticed this: The Modesto Heights starting grid, that pointy thingy above the track, it says 2197 on the bottom like in the Pure Vineta K... thought it was 2207 now 0_o2197 is the start of the FX-300, or WipEout PurE. Modesto Heights is a track from WipEout PurE. It is probably the inauguration date.

SonicChaos
17th August 2009, 07:17 PM
@jasmin yea it's Phantom, must have already done it. Also their is a way to cheat the CPU by using split screen.

Oryx Crake
18th August 2009, 01:05 AM
Recently I was in a race (offline) and I was in first, and as I came around for lap 2, I saw a bomb in the distance, which then exploded itself before I could get to it. Definitely wasnt set off by a ship, so maybe when the race leader comes toward them, they disappear (spectacularly!).

It coul'dve just been a bug though if no one else has experienced this.

they are only timed I've run into a fe left by players lagging behind but they seem to stay around for about... 20-25 seconds like someone undoubtably said.

Farside
18th August 2009, 01:06 AM
you got to win on phantom speed only elite seting..

Since my post, I kept going through on Rapier and, believe it or not, I got the trophy racing it on Rapier. The trophy is borked.
I think this only applies to the reverse tracks though.
I've since gone through on Phantom anyway just to make it honest but the trophy is definitely screwed up.

SonicChaos
18th August 2009, 07:03 PM
well that's not good, still......*rushes to finish it before an update fixes it*

CJS
19th August 2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone tried this?
In Detonator, just after you clear Stage 14, pause and go to Photo mode, then go back and unpause: The camera won't stick at the start line like it usually does, it'll follow the ship through the dark! :hyper You can see the EMP pads, a little bit of the sound waves on the billboards and that's about it. But it's cool to look at... just did it on Anulpha Pass

Nordschleifer.2200
21st August 2009, 11:10 AM
Useless question: why Icaras Fury (FX450, perhaps?) AG ship doesn't have an hull made of futuristic composite materials like the others, but rather of the plastic-looking alloy used for hulls of HD ships.

Short R&D budgets, perhaps?

Xavier
22nd August 2009, 09:37 PM
Not sure if this mock-up of a potential disc-format Fury has been posted yet:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu148/Game2Death/furyfarmcopy.jpg

(Yes, that logo at the bottom is a bit of mockery!)

Lance
23rd August 2009, 01:29 AM
Nice! I'd love to see that product on sale.

ProblemSolver
23rd August 2009, 01:34 AM
Nice fake. That would be the worst cover ever.

LOUDandPROUD
24th August 2009, 08:11 PM
Love the State Farm Insurance logo...LOL.

SonicChaos
25th August 2009, 07:01 PM
Indeed. that was a nice touch.

DISRUPTOR
25th August 2009, 10:33 PM
On time trails. Is it best to use the turbo straight away at the start on the first lap to get to max speed and save time.

lunar
25th August 2009, 10:42 PM
I don`t think so. On a lot of tracks you really need to save your turbo for a shortcut where you can save a lot of time, or there are more beneficial places where you can get speed with the turbo in a slow section or reduce airtime. In a Triakis, though, which takes 3 laps to reach full speed, you could have a point ;)

mic-dk
27th August 2009, 12:41 PM
Does anybody know if something is being done with the records not updating? It's getting quite annoying not being able to distinguish between an on-line race and a single race.

yeldar2097
28th August 2009, 03:03 AM
don't know anything about that...hope so...

is anyone else getting MASSIVE bouts of what seems to be 30FPS slowdown action? I know there has been some slowdown in places since fury but today on several occasions i went for at leat 1/2 a lap with the most juddery gameplay i've ever experienced in WOHD. it's quite good fun actually but i was a bit surprised at the time...

djKyoto
28th August 2009, 09:13 AM
Not such a question, but some my records are now updating now (ie. no double syncing issues).

yeldar2097
28th August 2009, 10:59 AM
woohoo! good news there :+

xtriko
28th August 2009, 12:29 PM
oh... so i'm not the only one whos having problems with the records table... lol it doesnt update my new records :S it sucks

KGB
28th August 2009, 12:37 PM
don't know anything about that...hope so...

is anyone else getting MASSIVE bouts of what seems to be 30FPS slowdown action? I know there has been some slowdown in places since fury but today on several occasions i went for at leat 1/2 a lap with the most juddery gameplay i've ever experienced in WOHD. it's quite good fun actually but i was a bit surprised at the time...

Im getting it a lot as well. Hope it improves soon.

diddymal
28th August 2009, 05:57 PM
This seems like an obvious point that has been discussed before, but what the hell is up with the "photos taken" part of the statistics board? I've taken 1 photo -for the trophy- and it says I've taken like 600, what the hell man?

Frances_Penfold
29th August 2009, 09:48 PM
FWIW, my photo count is similarly wacked out-- it says I have taken 175 photos when I'm pretty sure I have taken less than 10.

---

Does anybody feel like the topography of some tracks is physically "impossible"? I'm sure it's just my imagination-- but if feels, well, wrong.

E.g., on tracks like Sebenco Peak reverse, it feels like I am moving downwards, and downwards, and downwards, and that I never really regain that elevation. Yet on the next lap, I continue to go downwards again and again! :dizzy

Hellfire_WZ
29th August 2009, 10:41 PM
The long straight after the banked turn in the cave is uphill :)

CJS
30th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Apparantly I've taken 378 photos. No. I've taken 88 (which is still a lot), and I'm glad I'm not the only one with this thing

diddymal
31st August 2009, 09:05 AM
Has there been any mention of a second expansion pack? I'm not expecting a full blown Fury v2, but there are several old tracks that could be remade as a small pack I would definietly get.

OBH
31st August 2009, 02:44 PM
Have the SL times been changed since the removal of BSB????

I looked, swear everythings as it was. That cant be allowed surely?

yeldar2097
31st August 2009, 03:45 PM
Everything remains as it was pre-update sadly...

KIGO1987
31st August 2009, 04:30 PM
BSB records still on the ranks,

This is going to start a war with the French pilots and English pilots i reckon,

Im going to have to go into my bunker i reckon.

yeldar2097
31st August 2009, 05:02 PM
what about the english-pseudo-dutch-but-mostly-indonesian pilots? :P

Luxoflux
31st August 2009, 05:15 PM
How about the fact that they "Closed" the loop on moa therma reverse as i recently find out. No loop-skipping short cut anymore. So the speed lap time cant be improved on anymore

MrBrinkles
31st August 2009, 05:39 PM
I was wondering, who is Zico?

Lance
31st August 2009, 09:15 PM
Zico Liu is one of the members of the Studio Liverpool WipEout development team. They used his record as the standard for gaining the trophy.

yeldar2097
2nd September 2009, 01:06 AM
I just started playing with SFX turned on after a long period of having it turned off and it's come to my attention that silly computer woman is ALWAYS on holiday.

She can say 'Shields Active', 'Energy Critical' and the autopilot stuff, THAT'S IT! nothing else whatsoever.

has anybody else's woman gone walkies?

G-Hob
4th September 2009, 07:56 PM
I just got the game today and earned two bronze trophies, but I can't find where in the game it lists my trophies and what they were awarded for.

Help. :)

Kurlija
4th September 2009, 08:05 PM
he trophies for any game aren't listed in the game itself, but in a section of the PS3 menu. Look for the Trophy Collection icon in the Game tab.

G-Hob
4th September 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks.

G-Hob
7th September 2009, 09:52 PM
Is there a way to move the HUD icons farther away from the center of the screen? I only have Wipeout HD and not Fury now if that makes any difference.

They're a little to close to the action for my liking.

eLhabib
7th September 2009, 10:15 PM
There is a setting in your options menu called 'screen size' :pc

Darkdrium777
8th September 2009, 12:28 AM
If it's at 100%, you could try a helmet with magnifying glasses taped on it to cover your eyes though. ;)

/redneck solution.

amplificated
8th September 2009, 06:37 AM
I'm just wondering what the star which sometimes appears next to your name in the records means? thanks

leungbok
8th September 2009, 07:00 AM
That means perfect lap on the speedlap board !

amplificated
8th September 2009, 07:23 AM
ah, thank you :P

KGB
11th September 2009, 01:09 PM
Anyone know where the thread for race records online not updating is, I can't find it?

leungbok
11th September 2009, 07:21 PM
Lol, mate ! but i sympathise :?

KGB
11th September 2009, 08:23 PM
Is there one even? Maybe the issue is strewn across lots of threads. At the moment most of my times on the leaderboards are about ten seconds slower than they really are. Utter ****ing shite. Someone should start one then I can vent.:bomb

XBARNSTERX
11th September 2009, 08:34 PM
There is one about kgb mate, your not the only one who hasn't had records update. Theres alot of us. I have given up complaining about it(waits patiently for records update). I'm sure SL are aware of this problem and have some sort of patch their working on:)http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6606&highlight=speed+errors

Aeroracer
11th September 2009, 09:43 PM
has anyone here worked out stats for shields of ships..like how much better they are from each other.for example is a 10 for shields 30% better than a 7 for shields or is it like the speed stat where the difference from 7 to 10 is like 0.15% or something silly like it..Alos is there a list of what damage weapons do..

thx:nod

XBARNSTERX
11th September 2009, 10:13 PM
jasmin, i'm not to sure about shield stat difference as i don't worry to much about that myself. The weapons damage stats show in the hud next to the weapon you've picked up, couldn't tell you them individually though.

yeldar2097
16th September 2009, 07:06 PM
What loses you the least amount of time out of these:
Hitting 5 mines
Getting hit by 3 rockets
Getting bombed
Respawning
Being Eliminated

I thought being eliminated would be the worst thing but i swear i lose way more time hitting 5 mines. any ideas?

Amorbis
16th September 2009, 07:11 PM
They're all quite bad Yeldar, rockets are definitely the worst for stopping power alone. Respawning after dropping off is least likely to make you lose as it doesn't take half an hour to get back up to full speed and you're only a few metres from where you fell off.

It surprises me too about elimination. If it were anything but HD it would be still be the worst, though :P.

Darkdrium777
16th September 2009, 08:21 PM
It depends on the elimination.
I think I've said it before, but if you get eliminated and your ship careens off the track and explodes, you will respawn immediately after this explosion.
However, if you are unlucky and your ship carcass remains on the track, it can take longer than a full rocket hit to recover.

Dark_Phantom_89
16th September 2009, 09:55 PM
I tested each of these today, and here's what I found. In order, from most time lost to least time lost:

MOST: Being Eliminated (and remaining on track)
2) Getting hit by 3 rockets
3) Hitting 5 mines
4) Getting bombed
5) Being Eliminated (and flying off track)
Least: Respawning

yeldar2097
17th September 2009, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the info...I have more :g

@ People with rumble: Has anybody else had their controller vibrate non-stop during the 'loading' screen just before an online race?

KIGO1987
17th September 2009, 02:17 AM
Do you like leaving the DS3 in your groin area when that happens Yelder?

BTW this random DS3 controller vibration has happened once with me, when i exited a game will at the same time hitting a bomb.

Kaede
18th September 2009, 12:02 AM
The "boost at start" in Wipeout HD looks like it's teasing me.
I've done it before but can never do it again !
I'm pressing the "X" button at the exact moment the red bar is complete. I know I'm about 50ms precise at pressing the button, probably 20-30ms for some tries.
Could it be some kind of bug or wrong setting on my side ? (I set all controls option to their default settings)
Or does my timing suck that much ?

Do you guys press the button :
- when the red line reach the right corner ?
- when "GO" is displayed ?
- when there is the "go" sound ?
I'm asking because there are very slight differences.
Does all three work 100% of the time for you, or is it supposed to be something hard to pull-off ?
I'm trying the first one, but it will never work :robot actually I've even tried the two others, but none will do.

Thanks.

Darkdrium777
18th September 2009, 12:06 AM
When "Go" is on the screen. Not much more I can say to help. :? Sorry. Keep at it.
If you press too early, you won't get the boost, slightly too late and you'll still get one, but smaller than perfect timing. Too late and you obviously don't get it.

Kaede
18th September 2009, 12:59 AM
I *finally* got it, thanks for the clues.
I was pushing the button the *exact* moment "go" shows (like I'd do in a rythm game, I play these) but that was way too early -> failed every time.

I've no actual visual clue left so I just use the sound effect as a mark.
With that, I can finally do it consistently !

And sorry for the stupid post, I should've tried to delay the moment I press the button but I was too obsessed at timing it right as I thought it had to be:brickwall

guillaume
20th September 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm wondering whether there is only "one" boost start, meaning you either get it or not, or if there are more. HD experts? :) (hope my question makes sense...)

DISRUPTOR
20th September 2009, 08:05 PM
Good Question.

The answer is the closer you press the button to the perfect time the better the turbo start you will get.
Practice the turbo start with your own ghost on a speed lap to see for yourself.

Kaede
20th September 2009, 09:57 PM
If turbo-starting early, you spare the time you'd have waited before pressing the button (later). It can amount to a few tenths of seconds, I believe.
That might explain that you come ahead of another ghost who turbo started late ?
But that might be what you implied from the very start.
What I don't know is wether the acceleration boost itself can be variable, I haven't checked myself.

guillaume
21st September 2009, 11:10 AM
I thought DISRUPTOR answered my question, but now with your post I don't know... :)
My question was indeed, is the acceleration boost itself variable?
And I thought DISRUPTOR answered that yes, it was. But maybe he meant what you described, which makes perfect sense, that if a time interval is available to get a fixed acceleration boost, the sooner in this interval you press the button, the better.
Now if the acceleration is variable, it could get different. If the boost start was better at the end of the time interval, pressing later might be better.
DISRUPTOR? :g

Aeroracer
21st September 2009, 12:06 PM
pretty sure its varible from my experience online..

Dark_Phantom_89
21st September 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a question - If you barrel roll when you're really high in the air, would you get a faster boost than if you barrel rolled closer to the ground?

Kyonshi
21st September 2009, 09:50 PM
If you're really close to the track, it generally means your nose it parallel or slightly leaning toward the ground, meaning consequently a stronger initial "boost" for a following BR. Pulling the nose up obviously means slowing down, and that would mean starting almost from an inertia point for a BR. The momentum wouldn't be the same as being close to the track. This said, i dont think height affects the power of a BR but the speed at which you're travelling before performing a BR. Well at least this is how i feel it :) I may be wrong!

Dark_Phantom_89
22nd September 2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks Kyonshi, that seems right to me :)

amplificated
22nd September 2009, 02:30 PM
Anyone know if the PS3/WOHD supports multi-channel mp3's? Did a quick search but couldn't find anything... I'm just curious.

EDIT:
As soon as I typed this I checked the Wikipedia page (/stupid) for the PS3 system software and it says it supports mp3 surround, so I assume you could use your own 5.1 tracks in WOHD. Hmm... Well now you know if you somehow got curious :P

Dark_Phantom_89
30th September 2009, 08:44 PM
Another question - when I checked the leaderboards under "Multiplayer Race," there are records for the zone-only tracks (Syncopia, etc.) How is this possible?

Darkdrium777
30th September 2009, 09:23 PM
Zone Battle can be played in multiplayer on these tracks so I'm guessing the addition of these tables for the Pure Four tracks under the multiplayer single race category is an oversight. Theoretically they should be empty. If they aren't, it's a bug.

Kyonshi
13th October 2009, 06:26 AM
Where are located the 4 Fury tracks?

Darkdrium777
13th October 2009, 01:18 PM
Talon's Junction : Welsh industrial park.
The Amphiseum : Las Vegas, Nevada.
Tech de Ra : Grand Canyon, Arizona.
Modesto Heights: Makana Island (Though there is a city called "Modesto" in California.)

Kyonshi
13th October 2009, 05:14 PM
Thx DD777.

That's funny because i always thought that Talon's Junction was kinda related to Talon's Reach or redesigned from it, also they're both constructed in an industrial park/complex. Did SL made TJ having in mind the setting of TR or are they completely appart from each other?

I also thought TDR was on Mars :g This make me wish we could get another extra-terrestrial racetrack, like on the Moon/Katmoda 12 or Firestar, or in plain space, orbiting around some giant star/planet or sumtin.

brainbeat
14th October 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi im wondering what control system people use, i use to use the stick but recently have gone back to dpad for steering and barrel rolls cos im quicker on dpad at barrel roll, I was using both at the start, steering with stick then quickly flipping with dpad, but the last coupl;e of weeks since trying speedlap on sebenco i been using just dpad, should i be at a disadvantage though, (my times havent changed either way i think)
Does anyone use sixaxis control lol(if you do then respect):P

blackwiggle
14th October 2009, 11:28 AM
No you will not be disadvantaged .

MANY of the worlds best wipeout pilots only use the D-Pad,and have done for years.

Pitch is the bitch [sorry but this is so with HD].

That's why some prefer the stick,others PITCH only motion control.

The fastest times are being set by those that have MASTERED Pitch,as getting air at improbable places is whats gives one the edge in doing barrel rolls.

If this seems daunting ,please don't be worried.a quick missile or rocket etc equals the playing field.

The pitch control to the ultimate race times only really comes into effect during Time Trials and Speed Laps.

That takes practice and is a lonesome pursuit

Darkdrium777
14th October 2009, 01:14 PM
Did SL made TJ having in mind the setting of TR or are they completely appart from each other?It is probable that the name was an inspiration, but as far as the turns go and the whole environment, they have nothing to do with each other. Talons Reach has pipes and metal walls and frames everywhere, Talon's Junction in the case of WipEout HD is a hyper speedway junction, and in WipEout Pulse it's an industrial complex set in a valley.

brainbeat
14th October 2009, 03:48 PM
cheers, yeah cos i only noticed like a .30 diffrence when i first changed but i think its probably better suited to dpad, and yeah i use the pitch a lot, it just feels like the originals more on dpad,

Koleax
15th October 2009, 12:13 AM
Actually, it would feel more like the original for me, if I could use a keyboard, since I started with 2097 on the Mac.

Does anyone know if there's a way to use a bluetooth keyboard in place of the controller on the PS3?

Darkdrium777
15th October 2009, 12:27 AM
AFAIK you can only use a keyboard while on the XMB (to perform any task, like X button, O button, etc.), just the button placement isn't as obvious. For X it's Enter, O is Escape, Square I can't remember and /\ is F1... Arrows are D-Pad/Stick... And then the shoulders, can't remember too.

Games have to specifically support the keyboard, the only one I know is UT3 for movements, and a mouse for aiming (it's an FPS.) I this WipEout HD was built with the Dualshock 3 in mind (rumble for incorrect pitch) so I really doubt a keyboard will work. But you can always try if you have one. ;)

amplificated
15th October 2009, 12:27 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to do the pitch down-pitch up-boost-br trick?

I'm having difficulty with it on a couple of tracks, particularly AP, and it's annoying me :(

Aeroracer
16th October 2009, 01:28 AM
@bainbeat...

d-pad is cool and very quick for br's and pitching without crashing..only problem i have with d-pad is regaining control can be tricky as it inolves plenty of finger tapping.

stick is better for zone as control is more prisise when your going for zeus onwards
:)

DawnFireDragoon
16th October 2009, 08:48 PM
ages ago i asked if anyone knew if Studio Liverpool planned to put out wallpapers for the four unlockable ships in the original HD package (Auricom, Mirage, Harimau & Icaras)

well they have done, they're on the official site. not sure when they popped up, but for wallpaper and artwork loving type people they're there!!

:)

eLhabib
18th October 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the info! :+
Auricom => desktop!

Koleax
18th October 2009, 12:51 AM
Link? I am having trouble finding them.

No luck on the keyboard replacing the controller. :( If anyone at SL is listening, keyboard support would be rad. Would help the 2097 players. :+

ProblemSolver
18th October 2009, 12:56 AM
@DawnFireDragoon: Nice finding. :+

@Koleax: http://wipeouthd.com/

Koleax
18th October 2009, 12:59 AM
D'oh, I mean a direct link.

ProblemSolver
18th October 2009, 01:02 AM
:fp: c'mon, it's easy to find.

(There isn't any direct link coz it's a Flash application.)

Koleax
18th October 2009, 01:10 AM
Oooh! Well of course! I was looking for Fury wallpapers. My mistake.

blixabargeld
19th October 2009, 07:00 PM
Dunno if it has already been asked: is it possible to put custom soundtrack in the game?

Darkdrium777
19th October 2009, 08:14 PM
Yes definitely! It is one of the strong points of the game.
Either in the main menu, you can go to the audio options and select the playlist you want (It recognizes folders of music on your PS3 as well as playlist files you created using the firmware feature on the system), or during a race, press pause, go into the audio options and you should see it immediately. :)

blixabargeld
19th October 2009, 08:20 PM
Yes definitely! It is one of the strong points of the game.
Either in the main menu, you can go to the audio options and select the playlist you want (It recognizes folders of music on your PS3 as well as playlist files you created using the firmware feature on the system), or during a race, press pause, go into the audio options and you should see it immediately. :)

thanks!:banzai
And sorry, didn't know it was that easy..:rolleyes:

tug_14
23rd October 2009, 09:51 PM
something wrong with WO ? i have black screen ... i played with around 7 oclock pm , and now i swicth on my ps3 , start wipe and ..... nothing

Koleax
23rd October 2009, 10:16 PM
OMFG, I just got the same thing as tug_14. I hit the center button and quit game. Several seconds later it made the freakin' triple beeps a la YLOD, freezing for good. It wouldn't even let me turn off the PS3 manually. Later I had to unplug it.

If there's a third person, you better make a new thread, because this does not look good. I'm a little squeamish because I already lost a 60 GB to the YLOD. I didn't actually see a yellow light this time, but those beeps are not something I ever wanted to hear again.

Not good at all.

tug_14
23rd October 2009, 11:21 PM
no problemo with my ps3 , other games works fine . Only WO , it works now but online doesn't work ...
well, gonna play battlefield instead of ,and frag pirhapac :)

Koleax
24th October 2009, 04:51 AM
It seems to be working now. Played online and everything.

Wow, that scared that crap out of me.

Vartazian
24th October 2009, 05:07 AM
Get online Stat then XD I need to do some zone battles!

MetaKraken
25th October 2009, 10:15 PM
There are some unknown locations (except that The Amphiseum takes place in Las Vegas) from the Fury expansion pack. here are the tracks with unspecified locations:

Talon's Junction
Tech De Ra
Modesto Heights
Mallavol
Syncopia
Corridon 12
Pro Tozo

I know which country these tracks have (only two of them, Talon's Junction and Tech De Ra), but which capital or towns do they have?

Darkdrium777
25th October 2009, 10:30 PM
It's all on the websites.

WipEout PurE (http://www.wipeoutpure.com/)
WipEout Pulse (http://www.wipeoutpulse.com/)

A little tired to be retyping the same thing when it's one or two pages before to be honest. :|

Tracks from WipEout PurE: Makana Island.
Tracks from WipEout Pulse: check the website.

MetaKraken
25th October 2009, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Darkdrium777;155468]It's all on the websites.

WipEout PurE (http://www.wipeoutpure.com/)
Thanks, but in the Wipeout Pulse website, they did'nt give me the specified locations for Tech De Ra and Talon's Junction, so I'm left clueless :|.

Darkdrium777
26th October 2009, 12:20 AM
Tech de Ra: Gran Canyon, Arizona; Talons Junction: Industrial research park, United Kingdom.

It's right in the descriptions, here's how you do it:

Go to WipEout Pulse website
Select language
Go to the "Tracks" section
Click on the hexagon corresponding to the track you're looking for (Two hexagons, one for Forward, the other for Reverse)
Read description
?????????
PROFIT!

KIGO1987
27th October 2009, 08:31 AM
OMFG, I just got the same thing as tug_14. I hit the center button and quit game. Several seconds later it made the freakin' triple beeps a la YLOD, freezing for good. It wouldn't even let me turn off the PS3 manually. Later I had to unplug it.

If there's a third person, you better make a new thread, because this does not look good. I'm a little squeamish because I already lost a 60 GB to the YLOD. I didn't actually see a yellow light this time, but those beeps are not something I ever wanted to hear again.

Not good at all.

What version of PS3 do you have?

Koleax
27th October 2009, 09:11 AM
Slim, 120GB.

It looks like the problem is gone, though. It might not even have been related to tug's and could have just been a coincidence.

I don't even want to think about it.

SonicChaos
28th October 2009, 02:47 PM
I was worried when mine froze when playing WO a couple of times, but it seemed to be the game itself so no problems with my 80GB.

SaturnReturn
2nd November 2009, 02:12 PM
I saw this picture in an article which I presume is supposed to be a pic of Wipeout HD, but I don't recognise the track or all the ships. Is it HD at all? Perhaps it's actually Pulse PS2 or something? If it is HD, then my question will be - why the hell don't I recognize it?:blarg

http://www.pushsquare.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wipeouthd.jpg

http://www.pushsquare.com/8071/new-in-game-ads-coming-to-wipeout-hd/

OBH
2nd November 2009, 02:16 PM
looks too clean to be pulse, at least the psp pulse. the models and skins are deffinitely from hd.

if that is the ps2 pulse, its a bloody shame i cant play ps2 games on my ps3....

KIGO1987
2nd November 2009, 02:43 PM
I saw this picture in an article which I presume is supposed to be a pic of Wipeout HD, but I don't recognise the track or all the ships. Is it HD at all? Perhaps it's actually Pulse PS2 or something? If it is HD, then my question will be - why the hell don't I recognize it?:blarg

http://www.pushsquare.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/wipeouthd.jpg

http://www.pushsquare.com/8071/new-in-game-ads-coming-to-wipeout-hd/

Looks like an early WOHD rendering of Moa Therma in the early days.

SaturnReturn
2nd November 2009, 03:05 PM
Ah OK. It probably is just a pre-release render. I found some images elsewhere of what Qirex originally looked like and it's quite different and it looks like the ship on the right in that picture. So I guess that explains it.

Koleax
2nd November 2009, 03:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/psients/wohd_20091013_233758j.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/psients/wohd_20091013_233758.jpg)

Photo taken from a similar angle of the final release Moa (click for hi-res).

rdmx
3rd November 2009, 09:11 AM
Yeah it's from an old version of the game, it's still got the old fashioned engine flare and the qirex looks much better (albeit more like an assegai). Think GDC2007?

tug_14
12th November 2009, 08:24 AM
i can't connect on online WOHD this morning ... do u have same ?

Rezatron
12th November 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes I could not connect last night (your morning). I tried multiple internet connections so you're not alone.

Koleax
12th November 2009, 03:13 PM
I couldn't either. I thought it might have been my breaking it because I was trying to load the game with less than 300 KB of free space. :P

I could download both the update and the ads that accompany them, however.

Vartazian
12th November 2009, 07:35 PM
Same I was having troubles. Could of been the leaderboard update.

Oracol
17th November 2009, 08:36 AM
Seeing as there's probably a thread somewhere in the 31 pages of HD discussion that covers it, this might be the best place to ask if it could be bumped -

What's everyone's favourite craft for driving around in HD? At the moment I like the Qirex, but it's early days yet and I could be swayed...

Lance
17th November 2009, 08:50 AM
That has definitely been discussed. uh... somewhere. :g

Dark_Phantom_89
24th November 2009, 06:42 PM
I have a queston. I noticed that on SaturnReturn's videos, he has the flag of the country that each pilot is from in the lobby. How do you do that?

Mr Phlanj
24th November 2009, 06:44 PM
that is when playing on a HD tv you may also notice that text above the game types dont appear on staderd aswell

blackwiggle
25th November 2009, 08:32 PM
Those little flags used to appear next to the racers name during online play as well,they mysteriously disappeared about 3 weeks after HD's launch.

KGB
25th November 2009, 09:27 PM
Did they?! On the same lines I never seem to be able to see the player tags on MP. Settings say they are on. :frown:

Rezatron
4th December 2009, 08:24 PM
Here's a good question, why are 95% of the tracks picked online either Vineta K, Anulpha Pass or Ubermall? :brickwall

QjonPL
4th December 2009, 08:37 PM
They're the fastest/easiest?

blackwiggle
4th December 2009, 08:51 PM
I think because they are the fairest tracks,anybody could come back from a mini disaster and still win.
Where most of the other tracks,if your leading after the 3rd lap of a 5 lap Phantom race you seem to have a higher chance of a win.
Moa Therma is a prime example of a track that once your in front,and have a clear run, it's pretty hard to lose.

Rezatron
4th December 2009, 08:54 PM
I know, it was a rhetorical question. Oh, and don't forget Moa Therma, a track so poorly constructed, anyone can win, doesn't matter if you have been playing the game for 1 year or 1 day. :lol

yeldar2097
5th December 2009, 02:08 AM
Sorry what?

It's a crap track because it's boring as hell (when people spam it overandoverandoverandover), although since TJ came along I now adore Moa in comparison.

A lot of people don't really know what they're doing and lose oodles of time after the first mag. If you couple this with the BoostBR / BR shortcut then one can easily make up quite a large deficit without too much trouble.

Anulpha Reverse on the other hand...:P

Koleax
5th December 2009, 03:14 AM
What's the story behind Moa? It looks like an industrial park, except in Venice post-global warming.

It is pretty boring. I mean, when you have a gravity-defying loop, the thing that's supposed to keep you on track is your acceleration. There should have been a big line of boost pads at the beginning or something, and then you'd have to stay on it by hitting the next boost pads, making it risky to go for the weapons pad if you don't have a turbo, etc. with other strategies. Instead it's big old boring magstrip that doesn't pass by anything scenic. You can't see the horizon. No reference points to speak of instead of the part where the loop cuts back in on itself. Pretty dull. The loops in Fusion were better.

And, you know... anti-gravity ships.

eLhabib
5th December 2009, 05:25 PM
fully agree. :+

blackwiggle
5th December 2009, 08:19 PM
That's probably one of the reasons SL haven't HDified Staten Park,yet.
I remember it won or or tied with Blue Ridge as the most wanted track to make it to HD DLC.
Although a fast track,it was pretty boring aesthetically.
I could imagine it would fall into the same category as Anulpha pretty quickly if it ever made it t0 HD.

eLhabib
6th December 2009, 05:19 AM
boring aesthetically?! what?!

I think the reason Staten Park and Blue Ridge didn't make the cut for HD is that the have lots of trees in the environment, something that is hard to get right without severely upping the poly count, and they could also potentially cause problems with lighting and shadows at the high performance standard the game is running.

just my uninformed 2 cents.

blackwiggle
6th December 2009, 10:08 PM
I guess SL must have some sort of "In House" track difficulty ranking to keep the game balanced between easy and difficult tracks.

If so, we should be due for a few more easier tracks in the next DLC [if there is one],as Modesto is torturous now it's been HDified.

F.E.I.S.A.R
30th December 2009, 03:23 PM
I dunno if this has been raised before,but is it possible to double eliminate?(someone eliminates you and you eliminate that someone a second later and you have not respawned,because it hapened to me online,but I forgot the order of events)

SaturnReturn
30th December 2009, 04:01 PM
It's possible, but has only happened to me once.

blackwiggle
30th December 2009, 08:52 PM
Yes it is,If you shoot a rocket for example at the person in front and eliminate them,but they have dropped a bomb ,which you run into and eliminates you,that bomb is accredited as kill to the bomb dropper.

F.E.I.S.A.R
31st December 2009, 01:11 PM
Another one: Does the game freeze up when you press the PS button when loading online?

Woopzilla
31st December 2009, 02:37 PM
I've got some glitched times somehow for a few Single Race records (less than 1 minute and 0 speed pads) and I am wondering if there is any way to get rid of these? They're a real eyesore.

Thankfully they don't upload to the leaderboards while normal records do though... as far as I can tell anyway.

EDIT: Another question, is the 'Favourite Team' stat bugged? It says mine is Qirex, but I've got the most hours and laps for Goteki 45 by far. Only thing I can think of is that I played with Qirex for quite a few campaign races in Fury... (was using in to get Livery Liberation)... so perhaps most used in campaign = Favourite Team? :S

blackwiggle
1st January 2010, 09:59 PM
Answering the last two posts.

The game should still load if you pres the PS button,but it depends how long you hold it down.
If you hold it briefly it will come up with quit game or turn off controller,if you just say no all should be fine,held longer it will ask if you want to turn off console and the game can freeze.

The glitched times in single races still have yet to be fixed as far as I know,there is no known fix for this as a player.
As for the favorite ship showing incorrectly,this has been showing wrong from the beginning of the FURY update for a lot of people ,me included,and never seems to change,I have a theory that for some reason it uses the last craft you used to get the last track in the Arcade Perfect trophy,unconfirmed.

Woopzilla
2nd January 2010, 01:09 AM
Thank you for answering. I guess you are right.. I think I might have been using Qirex just before I got Fury. It's nothing major but I was wondering if it would ever change. :P

It's a shame about the glitched records though.

Motorsagmannen
2nd January 2010, 11:17 AM
well about the favourite ship thing
my favourite ship is:qirex
most used: piranha
first 100k: Icaras
most used in singleplayer races: goteki-45
the one i got arcade perfect with: harimau
(so arcade perfect myth busted)

only thing that might be relevant, its the ship lvld fastes up to 100k, i.e least hours pr point. meh a bit farfetched
i fail to see any conection lol

blackwiggle
3rd January 2010, 09:33 PM
If it was first ship to 100k my favorite ship would of been Quriex.
But ever since this stat has become available with the Fury DLC it has shown Fiesar,which is defiantly wrong.
I guess it just randomly picked one to start with,and it has never changed.
Not that it bothers me as I rarely, if ever, look at the stats page anyway.

Dan Locke
4th January 2010, 02:57 AM
Why did they change the handling from the old games? There's no technique involved any more, and Pilot Assist makes it even worse.

If that was also the case in Pure/Pulse, the question still applies.

Koleax
4th January 2010, 07:16 AM
An age-old question. Probably one that deserves its own thread.

leungbok
4th January 2010, 07:22 AM
Why did they change the handling from the old games? There's no technique involved any more, and Pilot Assist makes it even worse
Then play the old games ;)

QjonPL
4th January 2010, 01:54 PM
I guess it just randomly picked one to start with,and it has never changed.
It can be, I also had "strange" Favourite team on start, but after I lost my precious savegame and played the game from the beginning with the new one, this option started to show my real preference :)

Dan Locke
4th January 2010, 05:07 PM
Then play the old games ;)
I do. After beating them a few times, though, I've kinda gotten tired of them. And HD's handling feels so different that it's barely a Wipeout game at all to me - add to that the freaky-looking Fury ships and it might as well be completely unrelated to the series. I want dark, rainy cities. I want grassy hills and hexagonal tunnels. I want handling that's floaty, yet incredibly responsive with the right steering technique.

I want a real Wipeout game on the PS3.

leungbok
4th January 2010, 05:29 PM
I want a real Wipeout game on the PS3.

Then, only one solution : do it yourself, because the serie evolved that way !!
Myself i played all the wipeout, i fall in love with the serie since the first one was released and i finished all the wipeout at 100% (even fusion ;)), i consider wipeout pure, pulse and now hd as real wipeouts games and i learned to adjust to the new features (br, ss...). Maybe some people (i don't mean it's your case ok ;)) dislikes the new handling because it makes the game a bit harder than before but, it's still a very fast game (try zone 100+ on syncopia) where lines, airbrakes and steering rules.

blackwiggle
4th January 2010, 08:43 PM
If you have been playing HD/Fury a lot,I suppose you could add Pulse into this as well, then try go back to playing the old games ,Fusion ,WO3,2097 etc after not touching them for ages[a year or more].
You will find the old games like new ones,mainly because you will find you probably now suck at the old ones.

After constantly doing BR's and side shifts in HD/Fury over time, you will find it has stuffed up any technique you had gained in the old games.

It seems to take an age to get even remotely close to previous PB's.

RayMondo_61
14th January 2010, 02:15 PM
hi guys can anyone tell me how to connect a 2nd controller to the ps3.:brickwall

thanks.

its ok i sorted it .:)

X-Santo
15th January 2010, 11:01 AM
Hi I'm the new N00B ^^
Can someone please explain what's the point with loyalty points if u can't upgrade your ship?? I mean... you might be able to but I haven't figured it out yet anyway >_>
heard a rumor somewhere that the last ship would be unlocked if you got a 100 000 loyalty points but I've seen no new ship >_>

yeldar2097
15th January 2010, 11:10 AM
4000 points = new skin
8000 = new skin

somewhere along the way you also unlock the HUD displays from wipeout 2097 and wip3out

Dark_Phantom_89
15th January 2010, 11:29 AM
^^ What yeldar said. There's also the silver skins for completing the campaign.

You do not get a skin/upgrade for getting 100,000 loyalty points.

X-Santo
15th January 2010, 12:30 PM
sooo basically, apart from the 8k points, there's really no point with loyalty points?? :P

Hmm... I'm missing the top and the bottom ship...so I assume that's the normal and the Fury campaign maybe then >_>

Dark_Phantom_89
15th January 2010, 05:47 PM
If you want the 100,000 loyalty points trophy then it's relevant. If not then you're right - loyalty points mean nothing after 8,000 :)

Koleax
15th January 2010, 08:36 PM
Hmm... I'm missing the top and the bottom ship...so I assume that's the normal and the Fury campaign maybe then >_>

Yes, those are the silver skins for each.

Xavier
18th January 2010, 11:32 AM
hi guys can anyone tell me how to connect a 2nd controller to the ps3.

Ray, tell us what you did! Some day, someone with the exact same question is going to google for a solution, come here and read your first sentence, and look forward to seeing an answer, only to see you keep the solution a secret! :P Tell us what you did! :nod

kanar
18th January 2010, 12:07 PM
Xavier, he just plugged in his second controller with an usb cable. When you're using it for the first time, you must do that. Then after you'll just have to push the home button. Of course you'll have to plug it in again to charge the battery...

F.E.I.S.A.R
18th January 2010, 12:52 PM
I dunno if this has been posted before,but being good on Forward does not mean you will be good on the reverse version of the track,right?

Dan Locke
18th January 2010, 03:45 PM
Indeed.

SaturnReturn
18th January 2010, 06:43 PM
I think that depends if we're talking about being good right away just from your knowledge of the forward track, or potential to be good at the reverse if you're good at forward.

My best track is Chenghou Project Reverse. My second best track is Chenghou Project Forward. I'm pretty good at Ubermall Forward and Reverse. In general I'd say my skill on the forward version of track A is a much better indicator of my potential on track A rev than my skill on track B would be. I think a lot of tracks will share enough similarities that could can expect similar results from forward and reverse with similar amounts of practice. It's not always the case, and for some it might not be at all. That's just how I feel. Also, if you like the look and general vibe of a track, such that you are willing to spend more time on it and practice it, then the same is likely to be the case for reverse.

Of course, in the HD campaign, there were no reverse tracks. So I went from having the forward tracks down reasonably well to not having a clue on the reverse tracks. But this was just lack of practice.

There are some tracks too which are just too different in reverse, or have some massive fault in forward, which can completely ruin it for an individual. This is the case for me on Modesto forward. It's just rough and horrible, whereas reverse is the loveliness (offline - online they're both ram fests).

Djungelurban
19th January 2010, 05:16 PM
So, little more than a month ago I bought a PS3 and, among a few other games, I bought the disc release of Wipeout HD Fury... Well, I'm getting sick and tired of having to putting my disc in all the time when I just wanna jump in and play a quick game... So I'm thinking of downloading it instead and turning my disc copy into a birthday present... So far so good...

Now the thing I wanna confirm before I do anything though is that, even though I feel rather confident that it will work, if I download the game, will the download version integrate seamlessly into the save/system files and such from the disc release or will it just create its own set of files all of a sudden?

yeldar2097
19th January 2010, 05:57 PM
As far as I know if you download the game you will have to start from scratch since the savegame files aren't the same...

Might want to get a 2nd opinion on that though

Djungelurban
19th January 2010, 07:05 PM
Hmmm... Thinking I might aswell ask the source... If anyone would know it's Studio Liverpool...

blackwiggle
19th January 2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah the save files are different,you would need to start again.
Paul Tweedle from SL mentioned that when the same question was asked when the disc version came out.

Djungelurban
20th January 2010, 07:51 AM
I guess that settles it then... Dammit... Ok, thanks guys, I'm gonna have to think about this a bit more then...

ProblemSolver
20th January 2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah the save files are different, ...
What about the trophies? Will there be two different sets of trophies, one for
the retail version, and one for the DL version of the game, or not?

Dark_Phantom_89
20th January 2010, 05:06 PM
ProblemSolver - No, there is only one set of trophies

F.E.I.S.A.R
22nd January 2010, 12:47 PM
If you beat someone using a HD ship and the person you beat was using a Fury Ship,are you considered better?

Koleax
22nd January 2010, 02:05 PM
Yes, better because you beat them. :P

Are you considered even better for using an HD ship? It looks cool, I think, but no I don't think that is generally the case.

Dan Locke
22nd January 2010, 05:09 PM
Well, considering the Fury ships' stat boosts, I'd say yes.

Provided, of course, that you were piloting the normal version of your opponent's ship.

SaturnReturn
22nd January 2010, 06:18 PM
Given the lack of definition I'd say it's difficult to tell.

How did you 'beat' them? Multiplayer race? Weapons on or weapons off? In the TT or SL record tables? (Eliminator?).

Was it a one-off? Was it multiple times on multiple tracks? What was the margin?

What's 'better'? Faster? More accurate with weapons? Better overall or on one track?

Even if you're just talking a straight up weapons off race then there is plenty that could have affected the other person's performance. Even if performance weren't affect at all, then it would still be hard to tell from only one race.

If you consistently beat someone many many times over a sustained period in various game modes, then possibly you can claim to be 'better'.

As Koleax says, having a ship with lower stats is redundant if you beat them. Ship choice is also relatively insignificant online. Even offline, in many cases, the stats increase is compensated by the fact that the ship handles oddly and is unfamiliar. Familiarity matters.

Now, if someone beat you by a narrow margin in, for example, Fury FEISAR on Sol 2 Phantom Time Trial, and you used HD FEISAR, then you could argue they had a stats advantage and that you're more even than the times on the board would suggest - even more so in the case of Harimau. But that's about it.

Anyway, don't worry about being better than anyone other than yourself. Just keep playing and keep improving.

crawdad62
22nd January 2010, 06:30 PM
I've never actually sat down and examined the stats but I do know the Fury ships are "enhanced" a bit. But as Saturn alluded to there's so many variables it's not really clear what beating someone playing ship X is with ship Y.

I play with a Fury Feisar but lately if I'm in a room with players that either don't have Fury or are just going "old school" I'll switch to a HD Feisar.

blackwiggle
22nd January 2010, 09:05 PM
It doesn't really matter about the crafts stat's when playing online,taken as a whole,your going to get craft/track combos that work slightly better,but it all evens out and there really isn't that much in it.

The Fury craft upgrades are mostly to handling & shields,not speed,and I'm not sure they are enhanced over the HD craft as I,and others, find them unwieldy in comparison,and often use the older HD craft.

There was a HD online player called Wellington86 that used to use Feisar,supposedly the slowest craft, and was basically unbeatable online.
If he were to return to playing I think the outcome would still be the same,even if he used the older HD Feisar.

Aeroracer
24th January 2010, 12:52 AM
probally been asked a 100 times but i cant remember what anyone said if it has been..
question is....

why cant we use zone tracks for online races.

they look boring but play well with no stupid bit of scenary that can stop you 800 mph ship dead and send it flying backwards..

hardly hard for SL to make this happen..

Koleax
24th January 2010, 01:58 AM
They are playable for online zone battle, but I suppose the main reason is that they are designed to be "pure" and untainted by weapons and things like an unmoving finish line, which would change the aesthetic.

You're upset about Metropia again, huh? ;)

crawdad62
24th January 2010, 02:11 AM
Could you imagine a Zone track in a Eliminator game? All that flashing when changing direction. I think that would cause me to have a seizure! :dizzy

Dan Locke
24th January 2010, 03:43 AM
That's the idea. :D

Aeroracer
27th January 2010, 02:49 PM
They are playable for online zone battle, but I suppose the main reason is that they are designed to be "pure" and untainted by weapons and things like an unmoving finish line, which would change the aesthetic.

You're upset about Metropia again, huh? ;)

wow..how do you know these things...:dizzy

i hate that little bolt in the side of metropia wall that sends me into space.

seriously i just think zone tracks could be used so there more tracks to race on.

Koleax
27th January 2010, 03:39 PM
I remembered because I was hoping you could teach me to fly into the air at certain spots so I could take some nice pictures. :)

I was able to get a lot of good ones from this spot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/psients/wohd_20091011_194211.jpg) and there's another after the first hill, but that one's a little boring because it's between those two wide twin towers.

The zone tracks have a different rendering scheme from the others too, when they are in normal race mode. The Pure Four don't seem to have their own colors or textures independent from the zone colors. If for the purposes of single races they blanketed the track with a solid color, it might look very boring. Or, if they coded single races to have zone coloring effects, with depth gradients and everything, it might look strange, particularly with ships that don't have the zone battle skins. So, I'm not sure.

Aeroracer
27th January 2010, 05:00 PM
lol..why would you want me to teach you how to epically crash..its bad for good racing times..:dizzy

it is quite a hard crash to do anyway.only seems to happen when you dont want it too.

nice pic btw

most annoying crash is gotta be vinetta k last jump over crack in track..its where you hit edge of tunnel and stop dead and just drop down the pit whilst your fellow pilots laugh as they fly overhead.

most spectacular crash would be the overshoot BR on the second big turn on sol forward that sends you into space if you BR to quickly.:nod

blackwiggle
27th January 2010, 05:06 PM
There was a thread ages ago when HD was first released called "How high can you fly",where people posted photos from accidents that shot them into the air.

There were a lot from that spot on Metropia.:D

Aeroracer
27th January 2010, 05:16 PM
maybe we should create a group called mile high club for players who can crash and float off into the stratospere.:)

Mateo
31st January 2010, 01:26 AM
What's the third time thing in the statistics menu? I have:
-Spielzeit: 292:26:28
-Zeit für Statistik-Betrachtung: 0:17:13
-Zeit in der Luft: 982:47:31

The first one is the game time (on the upper border of the screen) . The second one is the time spent in the statistics menu (in the lower right corner). But what is this in the lower left corner? Directly translated it's "time in the air"??? :?

Woopzilla
31st January 2010, 01:56 AM
It's the total time that you spent in the air by doing jumps/flying off ramps. Eg. Turbo boosting for the shortcuts on Sebenco + Ubermall give you lots of airtime.

But it should only be very small... you spent more time in the air than you've played wipeout. :eek It's probably bugged... like the 'Photos Taken' for some people is in the tens of thousands.

I have a game time of 154:25:08 and a 'time spent in the air' of 14:05:09.

Mateo
31st January 2010, 12:48 PM
Ahh okay, that's it. I was wondering what it could be with more than 900 hours... maybe the time I was hanging around in the menu or in lobbies waiting for the race start, but even for that 900+ hours would have been too much. So it's just bugged.

ProblemSolver
31st January 2010, 02:20 PM
Could you imagine a Zone track in a Eliminator game? ...
Syncopia Reverse would be a lot of fun, I guess. xD

Xavier
3rd February 2010, 01:26 PM
It's probably bugged... like the 'Photos Taken' for some people is in the tens of thousands.

I have this problem too... I took one photo to get the trophy, yet somehow the game thinks I've taken 217 photos!

afuroKy
5th February 2010, 03:43 PM
What is the "favorite team" section of the statistics menu based on?
In my game's stats Qirex is my favorite team. But Im like 55 hours with Auricom and only 11 with Qirex.

blackwiggle
5th February 2010, 06:27 PM
There are a few stats that seem to be just randomly filled with anything,they have no basis of truth to them.
Photos taken,time in air & favorite craft are 3 of these.

Motorsagmannen
11th February 2010, 01:21 PM
What is the "favorite team" section of the statistics menu based on?

according to WO-HD my favourite ship is apparently also qirex.
so based with this knowledge:
1: most probably, it picks a random ship for you
2: it might be whatever ship you have most loyalty points pr. minute with. i leveled up the qirex quite fast getting zone zeus and eliminator. i think it was the ship i hit 100k fastest with. so seems probable.
3: others have theories about a relation between arcade perfect or elite campaign legend,this i can say without doubt is incorrect. because then i would have either harimau or goteki-45 as favourite.
4: also first to unlock all skin, and diciple doesent match.

so its either 1 or 2 a far as i could tell. unless someone have more info on the subject

Woopzilla
12th February 2010, 01:39 PM
I noticed that too and posted a similar question here a while back. It seems most people have Qirex as their favourite ship for some reason. My main ship is actually Goteki 45 with far more time/laps/records.

But... I then played lots of eliminator to get all my ship loyalties to 100000 (I'm a bit of a completionist) and my favourite ship changed from the bugged Qirex to... Feisar. Compared to the Qirex stats, Feisar has less points per minute and less laps. So I really have no idea how it changed to it. My highest points per minute is with AG-Systems, my first 100000 ship was Piranha, my main ship is actually Goteki 45 with more time and thousands more laps.

I thought it was just bugged but it does seem to change... even if it's still wrong. :P

drell
13th February 2010, 01:08 AM
Maybe related to ship used for campaign? But then how to explain change to Feisar...
I would not care if mine stayed Qirex :P

LOUDandPROUD
13th February 2010, 02:28 PM
Hmm...seems to be correct on mine. The ship I have the most time with is Feisar, hence it is also listed as my favorite ship. Makes sense to me.

Aeroracer
21st February 2010, 02:22 PM
Question for the wipeout proffessors......

In single play race and multiplayers race...when computer says during race new lap record which is all the time , does this mean it goes in speed lap record.or is this not recorded anywhere.

:?

SaturnReturn
21st February 2010, 02:54 PM
I was wondering the same thing a while ago. I haven't tested it, but I assume it just means a new fastest lap in Single race mode. I've never actually had it in multiplayer.

Aeroracer
21st February 2010, 03:31 PM
I just cant see the point of it if there is no way to see what this new single race/multiplayer race new lap time record is..

I dont think it would go into speed lap chart as you could like have 3 turbos in a lap so it would make you better than a speed lap racer who is only allowed to use one turbo...

SaturnReturn
21st February 2010, 04:05 PM
In multiplayer tables I think best lap is recorded. But it does still seem a little pointless. It could count as a speed lap if you only had one turbo in that lap. The game would only have to differentiate between that and 2 or more turbos when it decided to record the time or not, but I don't think it actually does.

Aeroracer
21st February 2010, 08:27 PM
Well thanks for answering my question Saturn..:nod

Woopzilla
26th February 2010, 11:42 PM
The multiplayer race 'best lap' seems to really be your best. I don't think it's related to the total race time listed next to it either.

I've just updated a few multiplayer races of mine on the stats website and noticed that all 6 of my new records had the exact same best lap as the old records. Coincidence? :|

It seems to record the best lap you did when you set your record and then keeps that as your best until you set a new record + new best lap. I guess in my case the race result was faster without me beating my lap record. But yea, it still is a little pointless if that's how it works.

Autechom
27th February 2010, 10:15 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but a qucik search didn´t help. However, I have 2 questions.
1. While playing zone sometimes you get a bit of energy back. When and how much?
2. Haven´t played online that much. I am now rank 26. It appears to me that you get to the next rank quite fast, though it seems I need clearly more points to get to 27. So, by the time will the distances between two ranks grow more and more? Maybe every five ranks the (imaginary) points you need become more..?
Thanks in advance

Woopzilla
27th February 2010, 10:26 AM
1. You get 10 hp back everytime you complete a 'Perfect Zone'. A perfect zone is 10 seconds of not hitting the walls/damaging your ship. It won't work if you just go 10 seconds though, it has to be from the start of a zone level to the end of a zone level (zone levels increase every 10 seconds). You can however still barrel roll during this time and lose 15 hp for it without voiding your perfect zone.

2. Yea, the distances increase. It's like an RPG. :P The distance between 99 and 100 is probably the same as the the distance between 1 and 30 (Just a random guess, I have no idea how much it takes).

Autechom
27th February 2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks a lot for the quick respone! :pc

blackwiggle
2nd March 2010, 12:28 AM
A few things to keep in mind that effect level progress.
You level increases faster with speed classes.
You gain a high % level growth if you win a race against players that are higher ranked than you.
Eliminator games seem to give you a higher % increase if you win,possibly because these races seem to take longer.
You lose level % if you quit a game ,It seems around equal to 4-5 races won,not only that but it seems that you level increase seems to stall for a while before increasing again.

Koleax
2nd March 2010, 01:31 AM
What if you quit an Eliminator?

blackwiggle
2nd March 2010, 02:14 AM
Same as quitting a standard race,you lose % and your progress stalls for around 4-5 races.

Koleax
2nd March 2010, 03:06 AM
Yes, but you said that Eliminator races have a higher percentage, so is that 4-5 normal races or 4-5 eliminator races?

blackwiggle
2nd March 2010, 01:16 PM
Normal races

citizencaned
3rd March 2010, 12:50 AM
only got this game last week but i'm absolutely loving it (good ol' wipeout!). My only gripe would be that barrel rolling cant be assigned to a button; I'm using the stick for steering with the analogue throttles for air brakes. I really like it in this configuration, but it can be quite tricky to pull off barrell rolls sometimes -flatland flyer trophy was a real pain. But anyway i will hopefully get used to it.

dont worry, i do actually have a question or 2...
-Does anyone have a list detailing how much energy is restored by each weapon?
-When using the stick for steering, do you lose some of your maximum turning circle if you pitch the nose at the same time? ie- holding the stick in the 10 o'clock position means it isnt held as far to the left as it would be in the 9 o'clock position
-Oh and 1 more thing.. are some of those online times cheated? 13 seconds for a single race on vineta K without hitting any speed pads for example? Seems pretty clear that cant be legit.. so are cheated times ever pruned from the leaderboards?

blackwiggle
3rd March 2010, 01:58 AM
I'm sure somebody has the exact % of shield replenishment somewhere ,but roughly in order of most recharge value if absorbed would be: Plasma bolt,Missile,Rocket & Shield,Cannon,Turbo,Autopilot,Bomb & mines .
Not exact but pretty close.

Steering is slower than side shifting,put it that way.
Unlike previous wipeouts there is no advantage to pitching down on a flat section of track,a lot of the guys use motion control for pitch only so it has little to no effect on steering.

There are a few records that are glitched times in the single race records [also in Zone records] that have either never been corrected or have recently appeared due to some new glitch in the system.
These times are not possible in a real sense and should be disregarded.

ksc6000
4th March 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't understand what's the point of getting loyalty with a ship.

As I understand, it unlocks different "skins" for the ships...but is that it? Do the ships actually change in the way they drive or handle? Or they just look different?

SaturnReturn
4th March 2010, 09:28 PM
They just look different. Only HD ships against Fury ships have different statistics and will feel different.

I'm sensing an extreme lack of use of the search function here. In future, before you ask somewhat elementary questions, do read Hellfire's FAQ. He's taken the time to put this together, so to not read it when you are new and have much to learn would be a crying shame. It's even a sticky topic.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6308

EDIT:Merged this and previous post with this thread as the question didn't warrant a whole new thread.

ksc6000
4th March 2010, 09:44 PM
I searched "upgrade" "loyalty" multiple times over the past few weeks SaturnReturn, and wasn't able to find a definite answer. Forgive me. I read the FAQ's and it said by obtaining x amount of points you get this or that...but I missed anything exactly saying "these only affect the visual appearance".

SaturnReturn
4th March 2010, 09:51 PM
Well it's just that it's something that is answered well in the FAQ. If you go there and search for every instance of "loyalty" in the FAQ then it should answer it. If not then the search results I found for loyalty indicate that it's skins only. Even if the forum didn't return the answer, then google does pretty quickly.
Anyway, for little questions like that which don't really warrant a new discussion, this random question thread is better when a search fails.

Autechom
5th March 2010, 07:59 AM
Haven´t found it in the FAQs, so:
during online play I Find the letter "F" in a circle next to the selected team. Meaning is...? Thanx

Woopzilla
5th March 2010, 12:14 PM
It means that person is racing with a Fury expansion ship. The teams get a slight 'stat' boost in the expansion and therefore need the extra marking in the menu.

If the fury ships only looked different and were extra 'skins' for the ships then the markings might not have been added in the game.

Sausehuhn
8th March 2010, 12:07 AM
Does anybody else have the feeling that in Eliminator there are people who cheat?

Constrictor
8th March 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, most of the time -> quakes for me == 0 -> quakes for them == unbelievable. On very rare occasions I get 1 quake for me. But in revenge they get unbelievable^2 . ;)

Frankly, I have no idea if there is a way to cheat for quakes. On the other hand I prefer rockets.

Or is there something completely different on your mind?

Sausehuhn
8th March 2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah more like people passing two weapon pads and getting four weapons in that time. Maybe I'm just totally wrong and their tactics are simply too good, but at least to me it feels like they do things that are simply not possible within the normal game.

Constrictor
9th March 2010, 08:24 AM
Well, I did not recognize this. I'm not that often in Eliminator. What I remember is that when you're in an 8 player match and most/all are stuck in one sector of the track it's total carnage. I'm not able to handle that to a positive outcome. The good players are - imo. When there are less players around I'm most of the time fine w/ my tactics - besides the quakes :redface: But there are some really good players who know the perfect kill spots on the tracks and for me its very hard to compete against them. So with ref. to the question. I don't think so. But I'll keep an eye on it.

Dark_Vincent
12th March 2010, 12:05 AM
I have a question, are there differences between the d/l version and the disc version of the game? I know all updates are there etc, but I mean, loading times? anything else I should be concerned about?

SaturnReturn
12th March 2010, 06:15 PM
Dark_Vincent, this has been answered before and also referenced somewhere in a more recent thread. A quick search should provide the answer.

amplificated
16th March 2010, 12:21 PM
Does anybody else find the momentary delay that prevents you from pressing X on an option in the pause menu to be INCREDIBLY ANNOYING?

Sometimes I just want to rage from the game, and I instinctively press start, up, X. AND IT DOESN'T LET ME PRESS THE BUTTON. I have to wait because the devs think it will help prevent people from accidentally quitting a race. THAT NEVER HAPPENS! It only serves to piss me off more :(

/rant

someguy789
13th May 2010, 07:15 PM
No I've never really noticed that...
Does anybody know if you can get the "comeback king" badge on zone battle mode or does it have to be on a race?

ProblemSolver
13th May 2010, 08:24 PM
@amplificated: Same over here. I really don't like any kind of lag in a
user-interface. But WOHD doesn't do too bad on a global scale with respect to
other games. The main menu works good enough. Anyway, the in-game pause menu
is annoying esp. when you wanna switch music, make a photo, whatsoever.

blackwiggle
16th May 2010, 10:25 PM
You can only get the Come Back King badge racing online .
You get the badge for winning a race even though you have been eliminated during it.
A damm hard badge to get if your racing against people at the same or better skill level as you.