PDA

View Full Version : We need a NeGGie

Perforu
24th September 2008, 01:57 PM
Let's face it. Has any of you seen any controller device similiar to good'ol NeGCon for PS3 ? Maybe we should start spamming Namco for a new neggie? I want a new Negcon pad! You want a Negcon pad! We want a Negcon pad !

btw long time no see. I'm buying PS3 just to play Wipeout :)

Ota
24th September 2008, 02:09 PM
Why don't you just wait till tomorrow night, or better till you definitely know that sixaxis won't do. At least give it a chance.

Perforu
24th September 2008, 02:14 PM
Uhm, I just can't imagine precise controlling with motion sensors. maybe for pitch and analog for steering.. but you're probably right, I should wait

taqili
24th September 2008, 02:26 PM
seima~

I think if you dedicate like a week to playing with motion controls, you should be able to get it down to at least intermediate level.

Amon
24th September 2008, 02:33 PM
Let's face it. Has any of you seen any controller device similiar to good'ol NeGCon for PS3 ? Maybe we should start spamming Namco for a new neggie? I want a new Negcon pad! You want a Negcon pad! We want a Negcon pad !)

I'm with you here. The perfect racing controller for consoles. It nears the precision of steering wheels / pedals without the hassle.

Speaking of steering only it has the best precision / speed of movement tradeoff available, better than steering wheels too.

To me it'a mistery it did not become a standard,

Sausehuhn
24th September 2008, 03:13 PM
Does the NegCon work with that Dualshock2-to-PS3-Adapter?

cnmth
24th September 2008, 03:22 PM
Nope it doenst :(
Read it somewhere a few months ago but lost the page..

Maybe u can ask this guy if he wants 2 create a device so we can play with our neggies on a ps3 ;)
http://benheck.com/
He does the weirdest stuff with consoles and controllers.

Perforu
24th September 2008, 03:22 PM
I had the same concern.. maybe there is an adapter capable of dragging Negcon to PS3 era? I doubt though

Axel
24th September 2008, 03:24 PM
Meh the neggie never appeaed to me. I love using the Analoge stick

Lance
24th September 2008, 08:22 PM
GASP [suspects heresy] ;)

Bytehawk
24th September 2008, 08:29 PM
I'd buy a neggie for ps3.
Loved the original to bits (literaly, it was in bits - build quality of them wasn't very good).

Rapier Racer
24th September 2008, 08:29 PM
Acht theres already a thread about this, I'm glad theres no such controller for the PS3, more level playing field.

I also dispute this 'need' for one if it wasn't for the speed when you put your nose down experiment bit thats now gone whats the point of using it? Gets rather uncomfortable after a while. This is just a nostalgic thing isn't it?

Lance
24th September 2008, 08:39 PM
Nostalgic? I don't think so.

Rapier Racer
24th September 2008, 09:09 PM
If you ever get the chance to play the newer games you might see what I'm getting at. It's just my opinion that a NeGcon wouldn't make the same great difference it did in the past and is largely unnecessary.

Rubix42
24th September 2008, 09:13 PM
I'd imagine that a controller that's a flight stick would probably be way cooler than a neggie.

Flight stick with buttons on it for one hand, and a sliding bar to adjust thrust on the right hand, with two buttons on that to control the airbrakes.

Anyone wanna help me build it?

Wip3ou7
24th September 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll be using the SIXAXIS in hopes that it will be the "new neggie". I've had alot of success using motion steering for other racing games like motorstorm and f1ce so i dont see how wipeout will be any worse

Lance
24th September 2008, 09:15 PM
If you ever get the chance to play the newer games you might see what I'm getting at. It's just my opinion that a NeGcon wouldn't make the same great difference it did in the past and is largely unnecessary.

If the ship has to be steered left-right [and also controlled in pitch at the same time], I'd think the neGcon virtue of high level of precision with neither too much nor too little movement of the control would still be a great benefit. I don't do 100 percent of my steering with airbrakes, so I very much appreciate the fine control given by neGcon.

-----

A small flight-stick controller might be good, but should IMO be much longer than Dual-Shock sticks to give finer control than they do, but much shorter than some of the old arcade sticks.

RJ O'Connell
24th September 2008, 09:58 PM
Namco sold very few neGcons when they were in production. Namco Bandai, even realising how much the value of the controller has risen due to retrogaming, probably wouldn't make a neGcon 2 or anything that isn't a GunCon for that matter.

I think that says how much developers are placing in the SIXAXIS basket.

Perforu
24th September 2008, 11:21 PM
"Thank you for contacting Namco Bandai's Customer Support Department.

Unfortunately, we do not have any information regarding this. For more information on upcoming products and release dates please visit the Namco Bandai Games website at www.namcobandaigames.com

Please feel free to contact us again in the future as the need arises."

bla bla bla...

Chill
25th September 2008, 12:13 AM
Haha... just thought of the idea... it would've been cool if you could offer a neGcon with the game as like one big buy... But they'd have t o raise money to make them in order for that... too much work...

Asayyeah
25th September 2008, 08:15 AM
I'll kill for a ps3 Neggie for sure : even it's certainly not doing a big gap of difference ( compared to old wipeouts)
Looking forward to see how pitch and motion control will be

Ota
25th September 2008, 06:41 PM
i'm just about getting the grip with the 6axis. good. but atm no way comparable to the neGcon. still, there would be need for a rumble or better force feedback in a new neGGie.

fusionfrenzy
25th September 2008, 10:37 PM
What's a Negcon?

Kidding! Seriously, though, i've never actually seen/held/used one in real life. The only time i've ever seen one is a diagram picture of it in the Wipeout 3 manual. I'm sure I seem like an unholy heathen right now, but im glad that we're all playing with the same controller. Makes it totally even.

RJ O'Connell
25th September 2008, 10:40 PM
Well, with the PSP everyone technically had the same controller ;)

The neGcon needs time and repeated use to get comfortable with, the out-of-the-box button layouts aren't always the best (ESPECIALLY IN W3O) but it does help. And I'm also glad there's a common controller - saves me the trouble of going to eBay and lurking endlessly for one. XD

Lance
25th September 2008, 11:25 PM
Not all that much familiarisation time, though, really. I'm an old dog, and I learned the new trick quickly enough to already start beating my previous best times the same day I got the neG. [hugs neGGie]

Chill
26th September 2008, 12:08 AM
I'll admit, I'm much better on the D-Pad, but it wouldn't be long before I got better than the D-Pad with the Negster... as I feel that playing with that makes the game so much more enjoyable...

MadMax1978
26th September 2008, 10:51 AM
"bugger my neggie just wont fit in the hole jim"
perfectly good neggie and it just wont fit

spent the last few hours trying to find my zone with the sixaxis but it's just not working in my favour. Damn you namco for making such a fine bit of hardware and not marketing it properly

RJ O'Connell
26th September 2008, 04:21 PM
It just makes the neGcon much more sought-after today. I imagine though that WZ members own about 90% of all neGcons ever made thanks to the PS1 games :g

Perforu
26th September 2008, 07:20 PM
then we should have 10% more. we deserve'em...

...just as we deserve a decent Negcon PS3 re-edition.
and now being absolutely serious - maybe if each one of us sends an email to Namcobandai then they'll consider creating a new one? Sounds ridiculous but maybe it's worth a try. Think about playing HD with a new (and better) Neggie..

lovedr
27th September 2008, 04:02 PM
...well i posted on the ben heck forum for assistance regards making a ps3 neggie but so far no response.

i'll leave the post up there for another week or so and then i think i might contact him direct for help with this project, failing that i'm all out of ideas who to ask, surely it's gotta be possible though, just a case of finding someone with sufficient electronics know-how.

link here:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=26240

cheers,

Perforu
27th September 2008, 05:47 PM
new Neggie should be a combination of dualshock 3 and Neggie. So a screw mechanism + motion control + rumble. I guess it would be just the matter of introducing neggie's screw mechanism to the dualshock 3 design and of course reshaping it. Probably it's easier said then done.. :) Too bad I already graduated. I could make it the subject of my diploma work, we would have few cutting-edge Neggies and I would have my msc title :)

lovedr
7th October 2008, 05:01 AM
well finally got first response, here:

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?t=26240

...don't hold breath lol.

MadMax1978
7th October 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Namco,
I’m hoping you could assist us in contacting the right people involved in Namco hardware creation.
As you may or may not be aware there is a very strong following in the use of the OLD PS1 NegCon Steering controller in conjunction with the WipEout series of racing games and in general racing games on that system.

I am writing this to whom it may concern in a bid that Namco will approach Sony and in particular Liverpool Studios, creators of WipEout HD for the PS3, in hope that Namco will re launch the NegCon to the PS3 market.

To assist you in review of this request I would like to direct you to the wipeoutzone dot com web site forums to see the huge community that worships the the OLD NegCon which is also referred to as a Neggie.

Kind Regards

Lance
7th October 2008, 03:06 PM
Not exactly a huge community in itself, but substantial. No knowing for certain how many of the forum-inactive gamers we might represent, and whom might love to have a neGcon if they ever got a chance to see them described or even got supremely lucky to test one at a gamer gathering.

lovedr
8th October 2008, 01:09 AM
awesome email to namco madmax.

is it also worth starting a petition to see how many names we can get down who would commit to purchasing a ps3 compatible negcon if one became available?

i for one certainly would, and happily pay upto £50 for the privilege.

re my post on the ben heck forum - has anyone here tried the negcon with a convertor to note the outcome / results?

thanks,

love9sick
8th October 2008, 01:20 AM
I don't even know what negcon is lol. I will not play Wipeout with anything but the playstation D-pad.

Chill
8th October 2008, 06:31 AM
Ummm... ;) You'd be missing out love9sick if their was one, trust me...

Perforu
8th October 2008, 07:12 PM
I don't want to spoil your enthusiasm but despite inquiring for more information, any kind of suggestion that a new Negcon should be released will be ignored. Come on, to make them develop a new negcon there would have to be like at least 50 000 of people who will CERTAINLY buy the controller. Otherwise the cost of designing, producing and selling (marketing) wouldn't be balanced by the income.

Oh and one more thing- remember that NegCon was considered a failure from economic point of view.

Flashback Jack
8th October 2008, 09:53 PM
..any kind of suggestion that the Negcon^H^H^H^H^H^HWipeout Pulse Packs should be released will be ignored.

Alternate suggestion provided above, since your sentence rang eerily familiar.

- F

xEik
8th October 2008, 10:52 PM
I understant your frustration for not getting the packs in America but topic hiJacking is bad etiquette.

BTW I recently discovered that it is wong to call it a neggie. The original Japanese name is something like nejicon (hence the uppercase G).

Perforu
8th October 2008, 11:26 PM
But you pronounce 'neji' the same way you pronounce 'neggie' right? so everything's alright i guess :]

BulletWraith
8th October 2008, 11:35 PM
Firstly their are alternatives, their always have been
(and allot of them are Dualshock2 compatable so will work on the PS3 and give feedback)

to me the Zero Tech 3 (for PS3) from Hori looks like a reasonable option, dunno about pitch though the face buttons look pretty dodgy/not spaced far enough apart
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/apteronotusalbifrons/zero_tech_3_controller.jpg (http://www.hori.jp/products/ps3/controller/zt3/index.html)

by the by I really would like a new neGcon, but I'm not really fussed as I'm without a PS3 (poor design student here) and trying to get 2097 running in wine on my eee is keeping me distracted enough

zer:donutshen out

Medusa
9th October 2008, 02:13 PM
Regarding the "neji":

I read that "neji" is translated "screw", so in essence "We need a screw controller".:lol

xEik
9th October 2008, 05:26 PM
But you pronounce 'neji' the same way you pronounce 'neggie' right?
I would pronounce the g in neggie as the g in give while the j in neji as the j in Jim.
English isn't my first language so maybe people already pronounce it that way. I think I remember Asa calling it "la neg" ("le Big Mac" style :D)

Back on topic, I doubt the neGcon will be revived. The closest thing we'll probably see is Namco releasing a new kind of weird (but different) controller for a new RidgeRacer that might be equally good for racing games.

Lance
9th October 2008, 07:30 PM
Then I hope we soon see that day and that weirdbutgreat new controller.

Perforu
9th October 2008, 10:25 PM
Hmm, maybe we should change the title of this topic to "We need a weirdbutgreat controller" then.

Mano
11th October 2008, 03:14 AM
The alternatives should be better than the original, otherwise its a waste of time guys, ask Al, he must have tried a lot of stuff, i even remember him looking for a motorcycle handle controller to try out, dont know how that went though.

The zerotech 3 looks very similar to another controller with RC style i have seen before, dont remember the brand or model..

i too hope theres a better controller for wipeout than the negcon, but it seems unless a new wipeout game catches a lot more fame, or namco revives it, we will be in the same dry spell we have been for a decade.

djb
15th November 2008, 08:51 PM
The only thing stopping me from buying a PS3 is lack of neGcon compatibility, oh yeah and my empty pockets. Stock up on old neggies and get a couple of spare ps1s thats my advice..progress isnt always for the better is it?

Darkdrium777
15th November 2008, 10:53 PM
progress isnt always for the better is it?That's certainly an arguable point, but I suggest you try out WipEout HD for yourself before saying it's not worth it :)

Axel
16th November 2008, 01:44 PM
Trust me mate. The game is addictive because of the multiplayer. That alone makes HD great. But more DLC and bug fixes will make this game truly awesome for me. Oh and give us the options to disable BR and PA :)

Lance
16th November 2008, 05:50 PM
Most of our recent 'progress' has seemed to be in the direction of accomplishing goals with increased complexity, power usage, and expense instead of with efficiency and intelligence in clever design.

My offtopic rants ends here

Kaelef
27th November 2008, 08:13 AM
Just thought I'd chime in with my feelings about the neGcon. When I first purchased one back with Wipeout XL on the PS1, the controller made the game 10x more fun for me. Not only was it easier to control, but it felt more like I was really steering the ship - I loved it!

As far as I know, the neGcon was not supported on other versions of Wipeout, was it? I think I tried it once on the PS2 and didn't have any luck with it.

I'd LOVE a version for the PS3, but I don't think there's any hope of this since they didn't even make it for the PS2. :frown:

I bought a couple of extra neGcons years ago when I saw them on sale at a store. They're still sitting in their original boxes.

It'd be nice if SL at least added some kind of neGcon compatibility feature in Wipeout HD. Only us oldschool fans would use it, but it'd be a very nice gift!

JABBERJAW
29th November 2008, 12:05 AM
the negcon worked for wipeout 1, xl, 3, and wipeout fusion. It didn't work for the n64 of course, but the asciiwheel works great for that one.

lovedr
29th November 2008, 11:46 AM
As I didn't get much help on the BenHeck forum I have also mailed another "techy" console repair firm yesterday to see whether they may have the electronics knowledge to assist in building a PS3 compatible Negcon.

....i'm not holding my breath though lol.

I will post outcome.

Kaelef
1st December 2008, 01:06 PM
....i'm not holding my breath though lol.

Yeah, I wouldn't... converting the old proprietary controller interface to USB would be a pretty complex task.

:|

blackwiggle
2nd December 2008, 02:32 PM
What you really want to do is [a simplified explanation], turn the left analog stick on it's side,have the stick placed in what would be the left side of a Negcon and the sticks motion tracking section in what would be right side of a Negcon.
Have the base plate that both holds those two parts together but also keeps them separate, used as the pivot point for the new styled Negconstein controller.

You would really want to get in contact with one of the YouTube posters of other extremely modded game controllers that you see.

http://news.acidmods.com/

Lance
2nd December 2008, 06:10 PM
Ah, the Negconstein. Yes. Where is Baron Victor when we need him?

BTW, let's keep a lookout for any possible torch-carrying villagers. :)

Kaelef
2nd December 2008, 06:57 PM
I hadn't considered modifying an existing controller. That would certainly make the electronics aspect of it much easier! :)

blackwiggle
2nd December 2008, 09:51 PM
I though "Negconstein" would been the most appropriate description of the possible aesthetics of such a controller were it's build ever attempted.

I can see the major problem of constructing a controller like this would be dimensions of the stick base/motion tracking section,it's nearly as wide as the thickness of a sixaxis controller,then you have the matter of the mini USB recharge port to reposition.

blackwiggle
30th December 2008, 11:12 PM
I wonder if a controller like this wil ever become available for use with a Playstation.
If you could program actions like BR's as well as everything else,wow, lap times might be amazingly fast.
Only problem is looking like a dork wearing it.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator

lovedr
11th May 2009, 11:49 AM
*bump*

so....i finally received a nice response on the ben heck forum this weekend from someone who is happy to have a go at "merging" a neggie and ps3 controller if we could supply one of each for research purposes.

is anyone on here able to donate towards this worthy cause?

or could we all chip in towards purchasing said items from ebay to getting this project moving?

whats your thoughts ppl?

cheers,

rich

Darkdrium777
11th May 2009, 07:55 PM
IH8YOU is currently trying (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6151) to perform the same. :)
Although two people working on it would be better I think ;) Don't have anything to donate though.

lovedr
11th May 2009, 07:59 PM
cheers for the update dd, think i shall bump that thread also tomorrow.