PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past!

RJ O'Connell
16th August 2008, 06:39 PM
So I got bored a couple nights ago and decided to play Quantum Redshift for a bit on the 360. Eventually I ended up playing until about 2:30 AM after starting two hours before, I was having that much fun. I never knew quite how challenging the AI is at the Master level but it's some of the best I've ever raced against in any future racer. And again I'm reminded that the bad voice acting and awkward, recycled motion capture character poses combine to make cutscenes so bad, they make Driven look like Oscar-winning material.

But that's overridden by a great, underappreciated game. The graphics are amazing even for Xbox 360 standards, the water effects and lush environments are incredible to look at. JXL composed a great sountrack, but when that got boring there was the custom soundtrack feature (original 'Box only) that predated Pulse by five years. The controls were basic and intuitive, and the various types of weapons (a NUKE!) brought variety to the different vehicles.

I'm old enough to remember when Curly Monsters' closure was announced on the forums. It was a damn shame, I really wanted to see what direction the series went into, but these things happen for a reason I guess. I don't have many questions about the game right now, but if it hits me while playing some more I'll ask.

Meanwhile, one I get home tonight I'll indulge in some more Master tournaments. It's as close to racing Avalon Tournaments as I'll get without a PSP. ;)

Lance
16th August 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for reminding me why I should buy an X-box.

Darkdrium777
16th August 2008, 09:12 PM
A bigger blast from the past for me would be discovering Wipeout 64. What a great game, I can't believe it isn't more discussed here. Sure, the tracks are remixes, some of them might be challenge-less (Qoron IV is very easy, and that's an understatement), but it just looks so good pushed to the max graphics settings through Project64 it's just unbelievable. And with the 2097/XL ambiance and design that's just awesome cool :P
Now if only there was a way to fix that horrible draw distance.
Gotta try 2097/XL played like that too, that must be so cool :D

Also, another, different type of blast: RollCage Stage II. Popped in the PS1 disc in my PC to play it on ePSX and it looks amazingly good for a PS1 game. It is of course set to the max graphics.

I love my 8800GTS 640MB by BFG Tech xD

I did once get the chance to play Quantum Redshift, but I musn't have played a lot because I didn't really like it. These animations you speak about are the only things I remember from that game. If I can get my 360-owning friend to come and try it in HD for a much longer time frame I might have to reconsider.
What's awesome about old games is that at the same time you are playing them, you remember the good times you spent on them when you were younger. At 18, I'm still a kid, but I go back to the times I spent on my PS1 with Rollcage, Legend of Dragoon, Vigilante 8, and I remember how much I liked it. Wipeout wasn't part of the list yet, so it will be a few more years until I go back to my times on Wipeout Pure on PSP. However, the very little I played of the Saturn (Yes, that was Wipeout, although I did not know it was at the time) in that shoe store in the kid's corner, I can also go back to. I remember how I wanted to stay... Ah anyways.
These kind of things stay with you for life. :nod

RJ O'Connell
16th August 2008, 11:02 PM
Wipeout 64 is one of the best racers made for the N64, but I consider it to be one of the weakest games in the series because it is mostly a remixed XL. I also think Wipeout is one of the most consistent series around: even if we bash Fusion or Pulse or 64 for its flaws they're still top-notch games in the big picture. Although outrunning the draw distance like I often have at Klies Bridge is a bit distressing.

Back to Quantum Redshift: Lance, you'd have fun, Redshift did a lot of things better than Wipeout Fusion, in fact Al said once that it's more like the old-school Wipeout games than Fusion was. Plus it has a much better sense of speed - 1000 km/h feels like 1000 km/h and not 400 or 450 like in Fusion.

I must admit, there was a lot of hostility between racers, it's like no one had anything nice to say about any of the other competitors, there's much more comradierie (sp) in the Wipeout universe than there is in QR. Surely there'd be at least three alliances between two or three pilots?

AG-wolf
16th August 2008, 11:25 PM
oh god I wish I could post at length about QR, I finally started playing it again (got it waaaay back when it came out and barely played for some reason).

Just wanted to clarify, RJ, it's original Xbox, not 360 ;)

RJ O'Connell
16th August 2008, 11:33 PM
I know that - it's one of the few original 'Box games I own that's compatible with the 360. Have you played at the Master speed level yet? ****'s intense. Shields are your best friend especially now that all the computer vehicles are carrying their Special Weapons which can shave off a mere 200 shield points. Can't waste any of the Turbo either, and if you have a lock-on fire it as soon as you get in range of an opponent. Don't waste too much time like I did and forget that it's the last lap and end up losing the race before firing. That happened twice to me and frustrated me to no end.

Once it gets to the higher speed classes, it also gets as weapon-heavy as Fusion can get at times. I finished 1st in a race with just one other ship left at Flames of Ra. Apparently I was the target of a Kiri Foxton Super Weapon attack and she missed but took out half the field. Then I managed to finish Kiri off with a barrage of homing weapons. **** was so cash.

Lance
17th August 2008, 12:59 AM
I like the original X-box and should be able to get one cheaply. I also like the big standard controller, though I think most people wanted to get the little one.

RJ O'Connell
17th August 2008, 01:03 AM
Yes! It should be easy to find one, and I think you'll like the Controller S(mall) even better. Much more comfortable on the hands too. And a used Quantum Redshift can be found on the cheap nowadays, sadly because it didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel. :(

Lance
17th August 2008, 01:08 AM
I've already used both X-box controllers; my former next-door neighbor had both forms. I like the big one better; it fit my hands more comfortably. He liked the small one. Odd, because he's large and I'm small. Seemingly not logical preferences, but that's the way it is. I would have thought that the small controller would have the buttons too close together for larger hands.

RJ O'Connell
17th August 2008, 01:15 AM
It's as logical as an aerial maneuver that, when performed successfully, results in a quick boost of speed upon landing.

But that's absolutely preposterous. Especially in Wipeout ;)