PDA

View Full Version : SoulCalibur 36-DD - er, IV

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2008, 09:08 PM
I've got my Limited Edition copy 50% paid for. Now all I have to do is pick up the game and the remaining $40 and I'll be ready to kick ass and :rock. Hopefully there will be as many people playing online for the Xbox 360 version as there will be for the PS3 counterpart that comes with Darth Vader standard...

...don't let me down Bamco Nandai, hopefully the development team spent their resources on something other than female characters' breast augmentations! ;)

Hellfire_WZ
27th July 2008, 09:56 PM
Got it on pre-order at GAME, ready to pick up next Friday.

An interesting decision given the fact I suck at virtually every beat em up game ever made :P

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2008, 09:59 PM
I actually participated in a local SC2 Arcade Tournament that paid $100 to the winner. I managed a decent third place. The winner was a hefty, amusing redhead who used Nightmare.

He was so powerful and mighty in this game that he shook the cabinet whilst playing! :D

Back to SC4, I should expect to pick up the game hours before you, Charlie, since I still don't know when we're leaving upstate NY - and that is a long, arduous 2-day trip by car.

Hellfire_WZ
27th July 2008, 10:03 PM
... ouch! Longest road trip I've ever done was from London to Sunderland, which was 6 hours each way. Numb head and a numb arse when I got off the coach.

Well judging by your achievements I guess I can expect my arse to get battered from here to Tokyo if I ever see you online ;)

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2008, 10:08 PM
Lucky you, at least Europe has rail transportation abroad, here it's all cars and air travel! (i.e. No bullet-train from Florence to Saratoga Springs.) Both of which are becoming prohibitively expensive, I am scared to death of airlines, and my dad's driving can best be described as "overly agressive".

I digress.

I'm looking to play as the new character Hilde, mainly because previews of the game have suggested she's a fairly powerful character. And she is quite attractive without needing to dress like a ten-dollar hooker (but let's face it, who can look slutty wearing a full suit of armour?)

Okay, I could be back before the Regency Square GameStop, where I waited patiently for WipEout Fusion back in the day, closes on Tuesday night! :rock :guitar

rdmx
28th July 2008, 06:47 AM
If you were wondering, I think the missing Star Wars character from your version becomes DLC, so you'll be able to play as Vader sooner or later.

Darkdrium777
28th July 2008, 07:52 PM
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/6885/artchicksts0.th.jpg (http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artchicksts0.jpg)

:P

RJ O'Connell
29th July 2008, 03:27 AM
I'd perform a guard break and unleash a critical finish on it ;)

eLhabib
29th July 2008, 08:37 AM
oh, the cheese! :D

RJ O'Connell
29th July 2008, 01:51 PM
Since I'm still on my way back to Florence, I haven't been able to pick up the game - if anyone has gotten a hold of it recently, I'd like to know what they think of it.

Chrono
29th July 2008, 09:13 PM
I was back home in the states, but I left before it came out. Instead of paying an exhuberant amount of €'s, I'll wait an extra week for my mom to bring it too me =P. I can't imagine it's going to be sold out everywhere. Played every iteration since Soul Caliber on the Dreamcast, only missing out on Soul Blade.

Create a Character in SCIII gave me unlimited fun, as a couple of my college buddies still fear (I joke with one that he still gets bad dreams) several of my creations like Bushido Bill, Jesus, Cosplay Girl (dancer with angel wings and cat ears), among others of less descriptive names. Too bad my online isn't working currently, but I'll still beat the pants off of DJmaniac on the weekends =P

When it comes out we'll get a create a character screenshot gallery up

Yagya
30th July 2008, 10:16 AM
the only thing that was cool about soul blade was you were able to disarm people. besides that, it was just a graphically inferior soul calibur for DC. great games, though i never played 3. heard they screwed all the balancing up. can't wait to give 4 a whirl.

RJ O'Connell
30th July 2008, 04:46 PM
Yagya: Playing as Sophitia in SC3 would be akin to using the Piranha II in Wipeout 64. She's that overpowering.

Okay, I finally picked up the Premium Edition of SCIV. Normal difficulty feels a bit too easy and Hard difficulty gets too challenging too fast. But the controls are responsive and the visuals are just...wow. It's so pretty. Other than the difficulty curve this is a must own.

Chrono
3rd August 2008, 12:26 AM
So Mauro and I played SC4 for several hours the past two days. I'll save my review till a couple days after I get the game, which wont be for atleast another week. However, how's the online experience for everyone. I deemed it unplayable. There was a several moment delay between the inputs and what was going on, making me feel at a severe disadvantage. If I have to sacrifice my instant response, then I'll be just as content playing offline. The server could be too full, or it could be because I'm in Europe. Also, online losses a lot of it's fun, because of cheap tactics and move spamming. The guys on the 1up Show said it best when they described how difficult it is to combat someone as unpredictable as a move spammer, but there is no honor or accomplishment in defeating one. However, a player that is calculating and tactical, is a much more gratifying experience. I mean, if your buddy came over one day and start move spamming, you'd probably send him home until he learned how to play and thought about what they did.

RJ O'Connell
3rd August 2008, 02:08 AM
Yet to run into a move spammer myself, however I find my perfect losing record online sad.

mdhay
3rd August 2008, 11:20 AM
...Other than the difficulty curve this is a must own.

Tell me about it (Apprentice = tricked out Acrobat)

Hellfire_WZ
3rd August 2008, 02:03 PM
Anyone had any fun with the Character Creator yet? I've managed to get about nine cameo characters together ;)

RJ O'Connell
3rd August 2008, 03:56 PM
I did Kerry King, Rob Flynn, Herman Li, Henry Rollins and Mike Muir in one sitting, Charlie, and I must say they all turned out...well...ok. What I'd do to be able to have "chin beard only" as a facial hair option.

Hellfire_WZ
3rd August 2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think that was the sort of "axe" the game had in mind... ;)

Can imagine their Critical Finishers though... Facemelter solo! :D

Chrono
3rd August 2008, 05:08 PM
Mauro and I made Lenneth Valkyrie from the Valkyrie Profile games

Hellfire_WZ
3rd August 2008, 05:17 PM
I've done that too. Here's the list of mine:

Sephiroth (FFVII)
Dante (DMC)
Cloud (FFVII)
Lenneth (VP)
Hrist (VP)
Silmeria (VP)
Auron (FFX)
Riou (Suikoden II)
Jowy (Suikoden II)
Arngrim (VP)
Tir (Suikoden)

Most designs I got online, but Arngrim I did myself.

eLhabib
3rd August 2008, 06:16 PM
Could you post some pictures of your Dante? I was planning on doing one as soon as I have the game!

Hellfire_WZ
3rd August 2008, 06:52 PM
Sure. Apologies for the shite quality, cameraphone. It does actually look better on screen :P

http://uk.geocities.com/ce_hellfire/dante1.jpg

http://uk.geocities.com/ce_hellfire/dante2.jpg

http://uk.geocities.com/ce_hellfire/dante3.jpg

http://uk.geocities.com/ce_hellfire/dante4.jpg

Chrono
3rd August 2008, 07:52 PM
I made a damn good Jesus in SCIII

eLhabib
3rd August 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks Charlie!
First I was thinking WTF black hair? But the last picture didi it right ;)
Good job!
Here's hoping I'll find an actual coat for mine.

RJ O'Connell
3rd August 2008, 10:34 PM
Everything that is coloured black in this game isn't dark enough. Or maybe it's the lighting.

Rapier Racer
4th August 2008, 03:50 PM
I've just seen some of the female characters present in this game and a couple of questions come to mind.

1) How is she supposed to move about swiftly with tits like that?
2) How is she going to fight without suffering a wardrobe malfunction?
3) Is the lead artist a bit of a perv or what?

Darkdrium777
4th August 2008, 03:53 PM
One answer to all those questions:
It's japanese. :nod

RJ O'Connell
4th August 2008, 07:44 PM
Personally, I find all of the female characters very attractive, and the developers aren't really trying too hard to sell their sex appeal with something like, oh, I don't know, a spinoff game involving beach volleyball.

Or maybe I need to get out more ;)

Harvai
10th August 2008, 11:58 PM
That's a pretty good Dante, Hellfire! I made a Vergil on my mates copy of SC3. Didn't look half bad as well...

Lance
11th August 2008, 09:02 PM
~snip~
...don't let me down Bamco Nandai, hopefully the development team spent their resources on something other than female characters' breast augmentations! ;)

I thought that 'Dead or Alive' was the real booby-bouncer series. ;)

RJ O'Connell
11th August 2008, 10:00 PM
Since the recent drama at Tecmo, it's probably unlikely we'll ever see another DoA game - making Soul Calibur the reigning champion in that category by default.

Not that it means a lot, Lance ;P

Lance
11th August 2008, 10:12 PM
SC was already the better, IMO.

RJ O'Connell
11th August 2008, 10:29 PM
Agreed.

Lately I haven't been playing it thanks to my late arrival to Burnout Paradise. @#$& Burning Routes!!! >_<

Plus I lost my Gold Level on Xbox Live, now I need to purchase another 12 months before I can get online...T_T

Harvai
17th August 2008, 10:36 AM
Personally, I find all of the female characters very attractive, and the developers aren't really trying too hard to sell their sex appeal with something like, oh, I don't know, a spinoff game involving beach volleyball.

Or maybe I need to get out more ;)

Independently jiggling breasts. That's not natural. Also, cannot unsee.

Darkdrium777
17th August 2008, 03:05 PM
Anybody ordered Jell-O?
Contrary to what one of my friend believes I am heartbroken to see these two things so independent from each other in those games. :?
He likes them a lot. I don't know if that's changed since he got SC4 though, haven't had the chance to talk to him yet.
Each time I see it I think of Jell-O. It must be annoying for the poor girl, she just stands up from sitting on a chair and her breasts go 'wobbling wobbling wobbling' for the next three hours, and they're not even in sync!

Chrono
17th August 2008, 07:11 PM
Wow, you are actually complaining about breasts...

RJ O'Connell
17th August 2008, 09:08 PM
Welcome to all the discussion of up to a month prior to release and two weeks after, Chrono. :g

****, I need to get playing again!

Darkdrium777
18th August 2008, 02:31 AM
Wow, you are actually complaining about breasts...Not complaining, just finding it rather funny looking :P

RJ O'Connell
18th August 2008, 02:33 AM
Even the slightest movements make Taki bounce around like me trying to go through the esses at Citta Nuova.

Lance
18th August 2008, 05:35 AM
No amount of breastage would make me give up my loyalty to Siegfried; I could always cut through the opponents faster with him than any other character.

RJ O'Connell
18th August 2008, 05:39 AM
Funny that you mention it since now he's becoming my main character. With that move where he crouches down and then knocks his opponent 500 zillion metres in the air. Among others. :g

(Man, the graveyard shift at WipeoutZone can be quite...hmm...desolate.)

Harvai
18th August 2008, 06:31 AM
Hmm, I haven't played enough SC to really get a 'staple' character, but I'm leaning towards Seung Mina.

eLhabib
18th August 2008, 08:16 AM
Yoshimitsu, all the way. Nothing more satisfying than committing Harakiri before your opponent can kill you ;)

mdhay
18th August 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm slipping between Vader and Nightmare.

Chrono
19th August 2008, 10:19 AM
I play a lot of different people: Nightmare, Talim, and Mitsurugi are probably my strongest fighters. Unfortunatly, my best character, Hwang, isn't in this version...*cry*

Lance
19th August 2008, 02:31 PM
No Huang?!?!?!!! NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

I don't know if I can live without that lunging forward downslash that makes it seem like he can hit from ten feet away with only one step.

taqili
27th August 2008, 09:39 PM
SC was already the better, IMO.

Unless they changed a lot from SCII to SCIV, I disagree strongly with this. DOA gets so much flak because of the female character designs/booby bouncing, but past it is a rather nice game of rock/paper/scissors that SC and SCII never managed to match. Although, now that both DOA4 and SCIV have amazing breast physics, it seems that Tekken and VF have to start catching up ;)

Lance
27th August 2008, 10:45 PM
The reason I dislike DOA is because the single-player mode is so weak. I beat it on the first try. The game really looked good, but it just didn't have any continuing playability/interest.

Task
28th August 2008, 12:45 PM
Hmm, I don't think I ever played DOA single-player.
Typically play it 1-on-1, but quite often the best fun is 2-on-2. The tag-team fighting was really great.
That, and I could play a girl in all purple with a big bow on her.
Haven't seen any other fighting game offer me that. 8 )

Lance
28th August 2008, 02:45 PM
I didn't have any local people to play against, soooo..
single-player was the only thing I could do, and it was notgood.

taqili
28th August 2008, 04:46 PM
oh man, you poor soul. I never play fighting games' SP modes, except the extra stuff like challenges and, in DOA, Survival mode. Multiplayer is clearly where it's at.

cybrpnk
29th August 2008, 05:19 AM
Is it just me or did I also see some boob bounce in Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection today??? I know VF5 is also guilty of the boob bounce, but in a more subtle way...

maybe I'm seeing things I want to see...

back to SCIV...easily the best in the series out there boob bounce and all...

RJ O'Connell
1st September 2008, 10:19 PM
And it's a good fighting game too. ;) :g

I have met a few "move spammers" online, players who use one or two moves exclusively and still end up winning - I am disappointed about it, but I've yet to play a "perfect" fighter without one easily exploitable flaw.