PDA

View Full Version : School

omega329
7th July 2008, 01:32 PM
How's your school life going? Had any tests? Wipeoutzone been blocked by the filter? Post you school stories, problems and rants here.

I broke my nose at school on thurs, got in a fight in the middle of a lesson, other kid got a 5 day suspension... Best part is, I got off scott free and started the damn thing!

RJ O'Connell
7th July 2008, 02:20 PM
Going into college this year. I'll be staying in Florence for at least the first year, then I'm thinking I could transfer to another college further down the road. I'll be majoring in Communications and Speech at North Alabama.

Oddly enough, WipeoutZone isn't blocked at Florence High School. Mostly because no one except for a handful of people besides me know this game even exists. XD

mdhay
7th July 2008, 03:00 PM
OLSJ blocked it.

Hellfire_WZ
7th July 2008, 04:22 PM
WipeoutZone's blocked at my school too. LGFL is a right pain, all my message boards and games sites are filtered, and even the ones where I might find useful stuff for my work. A site for a plot summary of Macbeth was filtered under the category "Encourages criminal activity". Work that one out if you can.

Oh, I'm a member of staff by the way ;)

mdhay
7th July 2008, 04:33 PM
No password override?

Hellfire_WZ
7th July 2008, 04:49 PM
Nope, the filter smashes everyone, students and staff alike. It's not run by the school, it's an independent entity

mdhay
7th July 2008, 05:15 PM
Just like websense.

Darkdrium777
7th July 2008, 07:01 PM
The filter at the school I went to blocked Wipeoutzone too.
It may be because it is advertised as a "Game" website that it is blocked automatically. If Rob were to change that it probably would not be blocked anymore (hint hint ;))...

RJ O'Connell
7th July 2008, 07:26 PM
Florence City Schools filters "game" websites as well. It's just that they have a problem with people playing Kitten Cannon and other flash games in the computer lab. The Zone gets by without notice. And it was good. :D

mdhay
7th July 2008, 08:26 PM
Kitty Cannon? heh.

omega329
7th July 2008, 08:29 PM
Our school had a blanket filter on games websites, notdoppler got through, just this once, 2 solid hours of Boxhead 2play tournaments, it was epic, until the next day, when Notdoppler had been blocked >.<

rdmx
8th July 2008, 03:09 AM
Encourages criminal activity
I think they are referring to 'cheating' and essay stealing or something like that. People may become predisposed to relying on cheating in the future, and hence fraud?

Anyway, my school hasn't blocked WipeoutZone yet, probably because I'm the one of the few people here who can race phantom class and not squirm. There are other people who've played wipeout before, but I don't they are as *ahem*passionate about it.

This is odd though, considering the majority of message boards are blocked. I don't post from school though.

mdhay
8th July 2008, 05:47 AM
"encourages criminal activity"

Plagiarism?

omega329
8th July 2008, 03:43 PM
Possibly, although, there are also companies out there that will write reports/essays for you, for a small fee of course...

First day back with my broken nose (TBH, "chipped nose" would be more accurate) The stories of my health after the incident ranged from a minor nosebleed, to flat-out on the floor with a broken nose and 3 lost teeth, along with a days suspension... XD
Apparently the other guy's got a black eye...

Darkdrium777
8th July 2008, 05:04 PM
Fighting at school... :naughty

Over what? It couldn't have been "for fun" or else I think you would have stopped before injuries...

omega329
8th July 2008, 05:19 PM
The Story:
we have a "New Teacher", no-one has any respect for her, which really irks me, she left the lesson for 5 mins, so everyone decided to mess around...
Someone gave me a wedgie, I was fed-up with the stupid attitudes of the class, so I turned round and punched him in the face/eye (Ironic, I know). I then let him punch me to make things equal, he did, three times, third attempt hit my nose :rolleyes:, I didn't realise I had a nosebleed until this girl said, "Adam! your nose is bleeding!" I looked down, at the pool of blood on the table, said: "oh... right then.." and walked out the class. On my way, I passed someone with a paper towel, asked if I could borrow it, they just stared at my blood-covered face, so I pulled it out of thier hands and proceeded to the medical bay with the head of science worrying that I was going to faint...
All-in-all, it was a pretty eventful last lesson! :g
NOTE: This is the kind of thing which I NEVER do, the closest thing I'd had to a fight before this was playing sumo wrestling in the playground three years ago...

Hellfire_WZ
8th July 2008, 05:28 PM
I think they are referring to 'cheating' and essay stealing or something like that. People may become predisposed to relying on cheating in the future, and hence fraud?

Plagiarism?

Nope, the filter isn't that clever. It only picks out specific words and classifies sites based solely on that. So in this case, it's because of the descriptions of the murder scenes in the play :P

Actually, I found out I CAN get on WipeoutZone at work, but I can't get on the forums... :(

omega329
8th July 2008, 05:34 PM
Tried a proxy? Bringing in firefox/opera/browser of choice on a flash drive?

Chrono
8th July 2008, 06:22 PM
If I didn't have Gamefaqs in high school, I would have probably punched people too. I was on the newspaper staff at school, which meant I sat and surfed the internets for a couple hours a day, then went to Sonic for lunch.

Another side note: My high school and another used to play each other in Tribes during their Computer Science class.

mdhay
8th July 2008, 06:28 PM
So Charlie, if I was to write "blue tit" in google it wouldn't let me?

omega329
8th July 2008, 06:29 PM
But "melons" would be ok? XD

Lance
8th July 2008, 06:36 PM
Re: fighting in school:
I have read the opinions of one or two psychologists in the field of human development who say that children are essentially self-centered barbarians until they have gained enough experience to teach them to be more civilised.

{note that there are still many adults who have either never gained enough experience or have not drawn the best [by my value system] conclusions from it.}

>end intrusion on school thread<

Hellfire_WZ
8th July 2008, 06:47 PM
Haven't tried them to be honest, I'll let you know ;)

It's really hard to work out exactly what it blocks. For example the Games page on Play.com is blocked, but I can happily get on both GameFAQs and its forums.

omega329
8th July 2008, 06:47 PM
Well, I am usually quite civillised, I was called "one of the true gentlemen" of the school, I was actually apologising to the caretaker who was cleaning up the blood :?
Allthough, I do see their point, looking at the behaviour of other children/teenagers. More like a creche than a college our school somedays...

WOO! I'm going on a two week summer course about maths and it's real-world implications at Warwick University!
I'm wearing my ThinkGeek.com T-Shirts!

rdmx
9th July 2008, 03:08 AM
Nope, the filter isn't that clever. It only picks out specific words and classifies sites based solely on that. So in this case, it's because of the descriptions of the murder scenes in the play :P

Oh - our filter blocks these sites under 'school cheating information' :|
They block the 'C-4' article on wikipedia too :(

Asayyeah
9th July 2008, 12:25 PM
Here in the center , there's a proxy ruled by the tech guys : actually there's a way to bypass it but it's pretty hard and you need to know the good relation to let you open an anonymous back door.

To answer your question about browsing WZ or else ( game, sex and so on), you can use this link : http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html .
It's working like a charm here ;)

Darkdrium777
9th July 2008, 02:46 PM
Except when the filter also block proxies, like the one at my old school xD

omega329
9th July 2008, 03:34 PM
Today, someone decided to type "gif" into photobucket, try it for yourself and see what comes up ;)
WARNING: It's NOT work or school freindly!
Rather surprising, seeing as we have two seperate internet filters going...

Linchpin
9th July 2008, 11:34 PM
Finished school and college/university .
I am now an unemployed 3D animator that specifies in texturing , lighting , rendering and with a particular interest in environment art .
There arnt many jobs for my field in South Africa , so working on one UBER demo reel , and then looking for work abroad , problem is NO countries want South Africans at all , so its hard :(...
Someone help! , hire me ahhhhhh!!!!

Darkdrium777
10th July 2008, 05:17 PM
Come to Montreal and get in the Ubisoft studio here :)

Rapier Racer
10th July 2008, 09:34 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/howitworks3.gif

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=websense

RJ O'Connell
10th July 2008, 10:10 PM
I don't know what's more surprising, the Maddox plug here at WipeoutZone or the fact that that diagram is only 41KB in size. O_O

Linchpin
10th July 2008, 11:57 PM
Come to Montreal and get in the Ubisoft studio here :)
:O
Do you work at ubisoft ??

Darkdrium777
11th July 2008, 02:09 AM
No. Just saying there is a studio here, and it's pretty good (Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell among others.) ;)
I would love to though.

rdmx
11th July 2008, 03:24 AM
Actually, the ubisoft forums say otherwise - the montreal studios have been pushing out sequels which are basically expansion packs - take r6v2 for example. Some of the problems in it haven't been fixed from the first r6vegas.
Maybe if new people work there the studios will change though :p

Darkdrium777
11th July 2008, 06:36 AM
Well there is always EA too... :P Right in downtown Montreal. It's a very nice place.

mdhay
11th July 2008, 02:57 PM
(Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell among others.)

And Assasin's Creed?

Darkdrium777
11th July 2008, 05:27 PM
Sure. How I forgot about this and the beautiful Jade Raymond.
I should jump off Jacques Cartier bridge just for that. :paperbag:brickwall

Lance
11th July 2008, 10:33 PM
coffSchoolcoff

omega329
18th July 2008, 02:12 PM
Back on topic, School Reports, how was yours?

mdhay
23rd April 2009, 05:11 PM
I broke my nose at school on thurs, got in a fight in the middle of a lesson, other kid got a 5 day suspension... Best part is, I got off scott free and started the damn thing!

Hmm... wonder who that sounds like...

http://www.solarnavigator.net/media/media_images/george_bush_president_united_states_of_america_sad _face.jpg

In other news that doesn't involve cheap puns, I'm starting Work Experience soon.

Velocitar64
23rd April 2009, 05:38 PM
Wipeoutzone is blocked at my school. Otherwise i'd visit more often ;)

But yeah, it's fine. My coat got banned though. Stupid :(

It's not that bad D: (http://www.attitudeclothing.co.uk/product_17536-63-805_Dead-Threads---Messiah-Coat.htm)

omega329
23rd April 2009, 06:31 PM
I want that coat.
(allthough, it wouldn't suit me... :( )

Velocitar64
23rd April 2009, 06:38 PM
Wanna see me in it?

yeldar2097
23rd April 2009, 07:33 PM
Back on topic, School Reports, how was yours?

well mine was **** but isn't everyone's?

couple of A-levels coming up which should be fun.
who's taking what?

I love internet filters. Ours is proper stupid though. If you set IE not to work and use firefox then nothing is blocked. Random-ass :P
Internet also gets turned off at 23:00 but we have ways around that ;)

Velocitar64
23rd April 2009, 09:13 PM
My report is pretty good.

archman
24th April 2009, 10:42 AM
My school...I just failed yesterdays one, and found that I'll really need to prepare it to hell good. ;)

omega329
24th April 2009, 03:45 PM
Wanna see me in it?

hell yerr

Mu5
24th April 2009, 08:02 PM
Someone help! , hire me ahhhhhh!!!!

Wheres your demo reel? :)

omega329
25th April 2009, 03:20 PM
He's still working on it, from what I've seen, it's F**king awesome!