PDA

View Full Version : WipEout twin league idea (Bits of Gran Turismo included)

feisarfan
9th June 2008, 01:18 PM
Just looked at the history of Wipeout post-Fusion on the Wipeout Pure site, and apparently, anti-gravity racing once had an amateur racing series (the FX150).

In a future Wipeout, would it be a good idea to have two leagues; (FX600a?) one for the big teams and another in the amateur scene (FX600b?), where players bought basic ships, before tweaking them, painting them, and then letting them race on 'makeshift' circuits, as well as proper race circuits in the game.

Is this a good idea?

swift killer
9th June 2008, 04:55 PM
This just does'nt sound like WipEout to me :S

I might be right in saying that there is as much of a chance of this happening in a WipEout game as there is of a Tigron revival, but i have been proven wrong (frequently)

KIGO1987
9th June 2008, 08:06 PM
Just looked at the history of Wipeout post-Fusion on the Wipeout Pure site, and apparently, anti-gravity racing once had an amateur racing series (the FX150).

In a future Wipeout, would it be a good idea to have two leagues; (FX600a?) one for the big teams and another in the amateur scene (FX600b?), where players bought basic ships, before tweaking them, painting them, and then letting them race on 'makeshift' circuits, as well as proper race circuits in the game.

Is this a good idea?

Making the next Wipeout Title with more content with new features is always a good idea. If Liverpool Studios thought it out well it could be incorperated in the next Wipeout title. Im a huge fan of Gran Turismo pretty much grew up on that game as well as Wipeout of course, thats probaly why now im so obsessed about cars today.

The issue is that that there is alot of old Wipeout fans out there which like the orginal Wipeout style and dont want to see too much change or additions to the Wipeout Series, i can completly understand where they are coming from. There is evidence in this due to a Poll called the 2nd worst Wipeout game. Where Wipeout Pulse got the most hits. Where my point of view was a little outspoken, and might of upset some people in which I edited ASAP as well i understand now "opinions are no bullshit".

There is a little bit of paranoia in creating radical changes in Wipeout titles since there where mixed reviews of Wipeout Fusion in which alot of people suggested was a failure. Which i agree the driving dynamics of Wipeout Fusion where not true Wipeout. But that got fixed when Wipeout Pure came on the PSP many years later.

Wipeout titles since then have got better and I say that Wipeout Pulse was a defiantly a great game and the best game on the PSP. So I say to Liverpool Studios keep up the fantasitc work. Im looking forward for Wipeout HD.

But back to the topic, newer content like additional leagues and parts you could purchase to upgrade and customise your ship, is a great idea and could work out well if incorperated into the game correctly. But i dont want to see some NFS Underground thingy that will just ruin the whole Wipeout theme. So the new content ideas from feisarfan is a very good idea. People need to know that for Wipeout to still be a successful game in many decades to come and keep the Wipeout Cult alive some minor evolutions in the game might have to be done in order to compete with other racing title genre's for the future.

cybrpnk
9th June 2008, 09:04 PM
I hope i've got this right...so you're talking about customisation culture being infused into WipEout???

Well, put it this way...having played WipEout for a long time now, I have always viewed WipEout as a Formula 1 styled game, where ship performances are pretty much set in stone by the major corporatons that put the R+D into them to create the ultimate anti-gravity race machine. Introducin customisation culture into something like WipEout would be like transforming F1 racing into a Need For Speed, Fast and the Furious race culture.

At the end of the day, for me, WipEout is all about the racing...I don't like tweaking too much because if I get it wrong...I'd get annoyed... The unique selling point of WipEout was the diversity in which each company setup their individual craft for maximum performance...eg AG-SYS has great accel, but low shield, Qirex had heavy shield but low manouverability...etc..

Start introducing performance customisation and in the end, all craft will start to handle identically to one another (example a: WipEout Fusion, and that is not WipEout is about) Leave customisation culture to the street racers...WipEout is all about travelling at hyper speeds with psychedelic tracks, music and weapons... We are just the pilots, leave the performance optimisation to the big guys...if anything...instead of customising the craft full out, maybe manufacturers would have like 3 different variants of craft...and they wouldn't just be aesthetic variants but slight tweakages in performance...maybe DIFFERENT CRAFT TYPES FOR DIFFERENT SPEED CLASSES...then we could maybe see an evolution in craft design as the speed classes get faster...maybe a more streamlined aerodynamic bullet in Phantom as oppose to the brick that we race in Venom...

What SL should do is keep it simple... Much like kind of a fighting game...where each craft is like a character and there are certain stats...top speed, acceleration, shield...SL should concentrate on refining this balance amongst all craft so that there are crazily close races... Another thing...with WipEout being a game of future tech, I reckon there should be an evolution in the way WipEout is controlled...maybe a new peripheral that is only built for WipEout, because analogue and digital buttons are so 1990s...early 2000s...

SL's decision to dig in to SixAxiS technology has to be commended and I look forward to trying it out with HD...

feisarfan
9th June 2008, 09:06 PM
ok sorry about this posting this (seemed like a good idea at the time)

One of my main ideas was also for a career mode in WipEout (but then again, there are the tournaments)

cybrpnk
9th June 2008, 09:15 PM
don't be sorry...opinions and ideas are always valued here...if one idea doesn't work, at least you have got that idea out now and you can concentrate on evolving that idea into something more resolved...:)

KIGO1987
9th June 2008, 09:29 PM
ok sorry about this posting this (seemed like a good idea at the time)

One of my main ideas was also for a career mode in WipEout (but then again, there are the tournaments)

Dont need to apologise. Its creative ideas that spawns innovations which would then be later on greatly appreciated.

Like i stated in my first msg on this thread i wouldnt want to see a NFS Undergroud thing that would ruin the whole Wipeout theme. I agree with Agent Orange. But future additions to the gaming engine as well as new ideas would seriously have to be thought through before added in the game. I guess that ultimate decision comes to the creators Liverpool Studios.

Lance
12th June 2008, 03:20 AM
I love FX-150. I hate upgrade systems on Wipeout.

Chill
12th June 2008, 04:27 AM
Umm... Well one thing's for sure, the idea of a lighter smaller more formula-one style of Wipeout (like XL, W3O, Pure and Pulse) would seem to set in the minority Wipeout Culture like you said (FX600b), and it is wonderful to race around super-tight corners for shorter maneuverability, but in a smaller area without as much scenery... and the FX600a, like Fusion, could have much longer tracks, larger crafts, more energy, more impacting weapons, and larger environments (like space or curving around from mountain-top to mountain-top, with more of a out-of-body experience style than FX600b)... they both exist in Wipeout history, yet are always seperated between sequals... It wouldn't be bad to bring them together for once...

feisarfan
12th June 2008, 05:25 PM
Some other ideas that got chucked in lately:

What if WipEout had a damage/physics engine comparable to Motorstorm's? As that game had a lot of damage and mayhem, i wondered if Studio Liverpool would be able to make an engine which causes realistic damage effects, such as:
Track surfaces capable of being scorched and potted/broken by mines, quakes, and plasma bolts;
Fully destructible environments and scenery(which could create interesting race moments)
Cosmetic and performance related damage effects (as well as pitcrews in the pitlane to repair the damage)Another idea, get the Designers republic back from the first 3 WipEouts.

Lance
12th June 2008, 05:45 PM
{points out that the people who worked on the graphic enhancements of the first three Wipeouts don't work there any more. And they pretty much only did fonts and logos.}

feisarfan
12th June 2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry, didnt realise that the people who did the first 3 Wipeouts' fonts and design had left

Lance
12th June 2008, 07:41 PM
Nothing to be sorry about.

Yeah, those guys left many years ago. I think two of them established their own separate businesses, including the one who actually worked most closely with the artists at Studio Liverpool.

Chill
13th June 2008, 12:21 AM
Those were still great ideas... I like the way you think! ;) The logos did actually have a pretty cool effect on the game's atmosphere, perhaps that's why they're even shown in HD...

feisarfan
13th June 2008, 02:35 PM
Yeah, thanks Chill, this is probably my 'great ideas' post for the future of WipEout.

Another idea i had was to do the 'double Blu-ray disc', whereby two Wipeout game styles were included in one box, the pro and the ametaur ideas.....

adelheid
15th June 2008, 05:49 AM
I like the Pro and Amateur league idea...

Avenger2197
15th June 2008, 12:03 PM
I have to say, this idea is a good one. I know when pure came out, and I read there was an amatuer league, I got a little excited.

Didn't the FX-150 pilots just use older craft from the major teams? Because, I would lOve to see who would win between a 2097 Qirex, and an F7200 Icaras.:g:nod

feisarfan
15th June 2008, 12:21 PM
I think they did yeah. Also, it says on the Pure website that 'anti-gravity racing came back in such a way not seen since the 2100s', which is in Wip3out's timeframe.

I'd love to see old, run-down circuits, (like Stanza Inter) with bits of decaying scenery that have fallen onto the track. (The rest of the Mega City circuits could work as well), and ive come up with ideas for a league logo.

By the way, ive just thought of some different names for this thread (in keeping with the idea that anyone on the forums can post their new ideas)

The Belmondo Foundation? (just a thought)

Lance
15th June 2008, 04:35 PM
"who would win between a 2097 Qirex, and an F7200 Icaras."

That would be interesting; they're two of my four very favourite ships.

Chill
15th June 2008, 10:54 PM
"who would win between a 2097 Qirex, and an F7200 Icaras."

That would be interesting; they're two of my four very favourite ships.

Agreed... That would be VERY interesting...

I'd love to see old, run-down circuits, (like Stanza Inter) with bits of decaying scenery that have fallen onto the track. (The rest of the Mega City circuits could work as well), and ive come up with ideas for a league logo.

This is a very interesting and good idea... perhaps these tracks could be frozen over cities (as shown in Fusion's and Pure's artwork), or overgrown by plants and such...

adelheid
17th June 2008, 08:06 PM
You could have a race around the Chernobyl city, there's a long bridge/raised road there with a great view over the "sarcophagus" that contains the remains of the reactor.

...or, because of the great economic collapse that followed the collapse of the Fusion league (9000?) there are entire ghost cities...

There is one small problem with the dilapidated, rundown, abandoned, crumbling, track/location idea: You remember those open sections in Fusion you all hate for some odd reason? Parts of the tracks will inevitably end up looking like those.

Sorry :P

feisarfan
17th June 2008, 08:44 PM
Well, could they substitute the off track race areas in Chernobyl with brand new race track (like if the atomic scientists of the 2100's built artificial slipways that led to the reactor). This could replace the off-track sections?

Avenger2197
21st June 2008, 05:55 PM
I think that the FX-150 organization itself would repair any missing track sections. Remember that the amatuer pilots, and subsequently the organization, were all purists. That means anything that the F9000 did to it's tracks were out of the question.

On the dilapidated track idea, maybe when you unlock a track you stumble on ancient ruins, which turn out to be a track from previous games. I figure some of them have to have survived the test of time.

What do you guys think?

KIGO1987
22nd June 2008, 07:38 AM
That is a great idea Avenger2197. What would be interesting if the current Talons Junction circuit went into the old Talons Reach cicuit. Similar ideas could be incorporated in other circuits as well. On new track ideas, what about a track running past/through Battery Park City. Through the World Finacial Center and the Trade Center, then the rest of the track is suspended above the river like Sol2 on Pure. Or maybe a Mid town circuit like in GT4, through times sqaure, past central park and past the Time Warner buildings at Columbus Circle. Know what would be also cool a Suspended circuit above the bay of San Fransico, wheres the Bays bridge is. Another cool idea a Chicago circuit running past the Sears Tower, Aon Center, John Hancock Center and the new Chicago Spire. Final idea the official Mirage Circuit in Dubai running past the Burj Dubai and the Palm islands. Cool ideas aye?

rdmx
22nd June 2008, 08:12 AM
The only real problem with real world locations is because of the fact that this game is set very far in the future, and I doubt that these present-day 'awesome' locations will be 'awesome' 150 years from now. :frown:

feisarfan
22nd June 2008, 08:19 AM
These are great ideas. I actually wondered about the old Mega City Circuits being re-used by the FX-150 (like the downhill corner from Mega Mall having cracks/potholes and broken off bits on the actual descent, Stanza Inter's old skyscrapers with fans flying flags out of the smashed glass windows) etc, and so on.

KIGO1987
22nd June 2008, 09:24 AM
The only real problem with real world locations is because of the fact that this game is set very far in the future, and I doubt that these present-day 'awesome' locations will be 'awesome' 150 years from now. :frown:

Two centuries into the future most landmark structures would be standing even if global infastructure where to collapse as well if a global catastrophic event did occur look at Stonehenge and places in Europe. NY could be looking like what it did in the day after tomorrow movie covered in ice and LA could be seriously geographical unrecognisable due a catastrophic earthquake. Lets hope that doesnt happen. Heres a question to other aussies out there why is Triakis HQ in Adelaide, that city is going to abandoned by this centuries end. I dont think it will be habitual in 2207. One statistics suggested Adelaides population is halting and two Adelaide water supply the murray river is running dry. Maybe Triakis HQ should be in another Australian city. But where though

Avenger2197
22nd June 2008, 09:25 AM
I would think that much of Mega-City would have suffered badly, at the hands of the mobs, during the collapse of the F9000. I think the only tracks that would have survived would be Manortop, P-Mar, and Terminal, but who knows?

For whatever reason, I'd really like to see Valparaiso re-done in a future Wipeout. Used by either amatuer, or major teams. I just enjoy that track soo much!:D

Triakis are a military organization first, and foremost. No need in having pesky civilians running around seeing all your secrets.:D

rdmx
23rd June 2008, 12:37 AM
Oh, I meant to refer to buildings, oops :paperbag
The locations will still be awesome, but I doubt the buildings will be revered as well as they were 200 years ago. Such as the Burj Dubai - such a feat would well have been exceeded in the future.
EDIT: Oh and stick Triakis HQ in Canberra, its comparable to Adelaide as a hole :P

KIGO1987
26th June 2008, 07:11 AM
Talking about Adelaide. Ive noticed someone from SA signed up to WZ today.

Lance
26th June 2008, 07:43 PM
EDIT: Oh and stick Triakis HQ in Canberra, its comparable to Adelaide as a hole :P

lol
As a hole? Surely they're not thAt bad. :D

KIGO1987
27th June 2008, 03:33 AM
Im with Insertcoin there. Adelaide is a hole. And im from the other side of the country. A lil bit of information on the cities in Australia, for a you guys around the world wishing to visit.

Adelaide: A hole, where nothing interesting happens. The skyline speaks for itself.
Darwin: Foul weather, you cant go into water cause you'll be eaten by crocs, no bullshit there. You cant go into the water up there.
Hobart: Too cold for some. A nice lil place though.
Perth: Experiencing a Economic surge here due to the mining boom, rent is **** the housing prices are **** also. Close to Adelaide in some areas, cause it can be boring as hell here thats why we get the name of Dullsville. Alot of idiot drivers here who dont know how to merge or acc-ele-rate.
Brisbane/Gold Coast: Good theme parks and good beaches. Feral in some places though.
Canberra: Capital, thats about it, you cant do **** there.
Sydney: Okay. Experience a bit of Australian history and go to Cronulla beach,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots
Melbourne: Best city in the country, best night life, best clubs, best restaurants and cafes, best culture, nice people.

Thats my bit of insight:D

Lance
27th June 2008, 08:16 PM
"Melbourne: Best city in the country, best night life, best clubs, best restaurants and cafes, best culture, nice people."

Why do you live in Perth?

---------

uhh... what was the topic? :pizza :beer

Avenger2197
28th June 2008, 04:25 AM
If I may have another go.... I'd think a track located on or near the South Pole would be pretty sweet. It'd be Silverstream all over again, which I don't know if that would be a bad thing.:D

Another idea I have is, what would the concensus be on tracks used for both the Amatuer, and Major A-G leagues? Or, the tracks that were ruins when found, could be used by both organizations after they had been restored to their former glory.;)

Just some food for thought...

Edit: KIGO you may or may not be surprised to find out that Central NY IS called the "A**hole of the Northeast" for a reason.:lol We are the Rust Belt of the U.S.of A.

KIGO1987
28th June 2008, 11:13 AM
"Melbourne: Best city in the country, best night life, best clubs, best restaurants and cafes, best culture, nice people."

Why do you live in Perth?

---------

uhh... what was the topic? :pizza :beer

I live in Perth cause ive always lived here. National travel in this city is expensive due to it being the most isolated city on Earth, where the nearest major populas is all wonderful Adelaide, which is something like 3000km away. Melbourne is +4000km from here.

Once im done with my degree then i will consider moving. Melbourne is nice. Not sure, ill consider my options once my horizons broaden, i wouldnt mind traveling and seeing some places. See other cultures and architecture would be amazing.

-----------------------

Right back on topic. Just reading about some more superstructures been built around the world. In the center of Moscow in Russia some major developments are going down. A whole city center is been constructed. All these 300-600 meter tall buildings all being built in the same time frame. Its interesting seeing constructions like that, where all the building have the same architecture. The next closes would be Dubai in that area of modern architecture. The development is called "Moscow International Business Center".

Going on a bit here. But what i was suggesting this could be another idea for a circuit. Something around this development, which while obviously be different in a few centuries. Could be the official Qirex track. Another idea would be a Zone circuit going along the MKAD in Moscow, that ill be cool in Phantom/Zen speed. Ive seen how those people drive over there so this would be a fantastic place for that kinda stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaOCj-sfkA4
:lol

Just remember someone from Moscow joined, hey Spiegel, What does that new City development look like over there? Driven on the MKAD or the Lefortovo tunnel?

It always interesting whats happening around the world thats why i like WZ so much cause there a some many different members from different locations from around the world.

feisarfan
24th July 2008, 09:42 PM
Perth is definitely not a hole compared to some of the towns in the UK (points to home town and Sheffield), these are chav capitals. Sorry if anyone lives in Sheffield or near there, i'm just explaining my own personal experiences.

Anyway, back to topic. I've been doing some more thinking, and yeah, i hated the NFS series and their shallow stories/gameplay, so what if you started out (like in the GT series) with a small amount of money, which the player could spend on buying a cheap, poorly performing craft.

Then, as in Gran Turismo, there could be the option of buying replacement or upgraded parts from either fictional companies in the series (like Synchro in HD) or from the manufacturer teams, and over time, the player could sort out a career with a team (like in Forza 2, where your on-track performance earns you discount loyalty from car and upgrade companies)?

GalacticSpartan
26th July 2008, 09:29 AM
Sounds all pretty cool to me ^^. They should have more tracks around ancient areas like visiting the ruins in Rome, Greece, China, Iraq and even Egypt. Did you guys noticed that most of the tracks are around Europe and North America? Why don`t they have a few tracks around South America like in the capital of Brazil or in Easter Island where you see Moai faces when you race? That would be cool ^^ but What about Africa? they only had about 1 race I think in the entire series. Maybe race through the jungles of Africa or race around the Pyramids of Egypt and go inside the Great Pyramid of Giza :D that`ll be cool and Extreme-G style. What about Asia and the Middle East? can`t they have a race track around Istanbul, Jerusalem, or even in Red Sea? In Asia, maybe go around ruins in India, or race through the ruins of Angkor Wat? Or race a few tracks in China or in Japan, or even race on the Great Wall? That would be awesome.

RJ O'Connell
26th July 2008, 04:04 PM
Those will all be great markets once the European Consortium and North America ban tobacco sponsorship for sporting events, forcing the FXx00 to build tracks in the other parts of Asia and Africa to keep Marlboro in the sport.

No, wait, I was talking about something else.

But those would be wicked locales. South America has had one race (Valparaiso, two if you count Machaon II which is only alluded to as being from the area), Africa as you said has had one event (Gemini Dam), West Asia (Middle East) hasn't had an event though with Mirage in the sport they're due for one. As for Japan, Karbonis is a rural track that does have a bit of that ancient look to it. (Just not the Wipeout Pure recreation that totally rapidly inhales.)

adelheid
27th July 2008, 02:58 AM
Sounds all pretty cool to me ^^. They should have more tracks around ancient areas like visiting the ruins in Rome, Greece, China, Iraq and even Egypt. Did you guys noticed that most of the tracks are around Europe and North America? Why don`t they have a few tracks around South America like in the capital of Brazil or in Easter Island where you see Moai faces when you race? That would be cool ^^ but What about Africa? they only had about 1 race I think in the entire series. Maybe race through the jungles of Africa or race around the Pyramids of Egypt and go inside the Great Pyramid of Giza :D that`ll be cool and Extreme-G style. What about Asia and the Middle East? can`t they have a race track around Istanbul, Jerusalem, or even in Red Sea? In Asia, maybe go around ruins in India, or race through the ruins of Angkor Wat? Or race a few tracks in China or in Japan, or even race on the Great Wall? That would be awesome.

I think the makers of WO were right to not give in to the temptation to do this, and I hope they continue to resist the temptation in the future.

Besides, what government would ever be dumb enough to let wipeout pilots within a thousand miles of a national monument, especially one that has stood for at least 5000 years (pyramids)?

feisarfan
15th November 2008, 07:32 PM
This thread's been quiet for a while, and as i've started to design a mock simulation (FX150) menu, i've been thinking...

What if, unlike the Gran Turismo menus, the player was able to change continents in order to access more amateur racing in different cities/parts of the world? (Europe, America, Asia and Africa).
The background could then change themes to suit the continent (Grand Canyon for America, the Alps/European cities for Europe etc)
I also came up with ideas for sub-menus, such as 'Home' (where the player stores his/her ships...

By the way, i came up with a new name for this concept.. WipEout eXtreme, is this a good name?

Lance
15th November 2008, 08:18 PM
That was one of the names suggested a few years ago for the next version of WipEout, the one that turned out to be officially named "Pure".

Are you sure that your concept contains anything extreme enough to justify the name, "eXtreme". That word is pretty commonly used in the gaming industry, so it might not really stand out from the crowd.

feisarfan
16th November 2008, 09:39 AM
Probably not to be honest, ill think of another name...

-----------------

I know this is double posting, but ive also drawn a basic map/menu concept for the European part of the idea, the top row has a credit and day counter, plus a real world clock.

http://www.fictionpost.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=432

Lance
17th November 2008, 02:22 PM
When you know it's doubling, don't do it; edit your post, adding the new content.