PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout : Phoenix?

adelheid
15th May 2008, 04:10 PM
As I understand it the races collapsed due to corruption during the Fusion era (Or was that a fan fic?) but here is a problem:

People would still want the race. Yes their precious illusions have been shattered, yes they will never trust the race officials and probably some of the teams again, but would they let the races die? Hell no.

Soooo.... cue the little guy: amateur pilots in home made ships sponsored by Dave's Fish and Chip Shop wizzing around dilapidated old tracks and cordoned off streets and country lanes, small leagues and small competitions between small numbers of countries.... you get the picture.

Sausehuhn
15th May 2008, 04:26 PM
www.wipeoutpure.com

There you get the story. Have fun :)

rdmx
16th May 2008, 07:05 AM
They could make a game during the FX150 in which all the amateur pilots used mods and the like. That would be pretty awesome with the modding and custom paint jobs - though it becomes 'pimp my ag craft'.

blixabargeld
16th May 2008, 02:33 PM
A "wipeout/(need)-for speed underground"? terrible :)

adelheid
16th May 2008, 03:19 PM
They could make a game during the FX150 in which all the amateur pilots used mods and the like. That would be pretty awesome with the modding and custom paint jobs - though it becomes 'pimp my ag craft'.

Nah... Ever noticed how most of the "pimped" cars are ultimately useless in a real race?

"I got me a phat spoiler so now my car grips like a mofo"
"What did that do to your top speed?"
*mumble*
"What?"
"I lost 50mph"
"AHAHHAHAHAHAHA!"

I think the smae thing would apply to AG; you can customise it all you like, but if you want to actually win a race you have to leave most of the custom rubbish alone.

jmoid
29th May 2008, 12:02 AM
I really like this idea. You could give it a real dystopian William Gibson Sprawl-trilogy feel, make it look like Battle Angel Alita, that kind of thing.

Xavier
29th May 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't think Wipeout should be a dystopia -- it should be a paradise! The discovery and implementation of anti-gravity in the 2030s solved (will have solved?) all kinds of oil- and energy-related problems of today.

Thus the complacency, riches, and then corruption of the Fusion era.

KIGO1987
29th May 2008, 02:20 PM
Thats a really good idea "Wipeout Phoenix" kinda a post F9000 era before the FX300 came into action. Shows the rise of the Wipeout series from the ashes. This title would have the most selection of ships avaliable in any wipeout title; from the merge of EGR and Zios and the the reestablishment of Qirex and Goteki 45 as well as fusion ships like Van Uber. Damn good idea some sort of underground thing. Not like the NFS Underground at all.

Having a Wipeout title set before the first orginal Wipeout title in the early 21st century. Showing the birth of the Wipeout Era and the end of the World Oil Crisis era after a global war of some sort that would be a really good plot. That would fill the gaps in the Wipeout series. "Wipeout Origins" set between now and the 2050's and "Wipeout Phoenix" set between 2160's - 2190's. Damn these are some good ideas for Liverpool Studios.

Darkdrium777
29th May 2008, 06:42 PM
Yes but then you need to think of a slogan having to do with Adrenalin ^^ :g

Lance
29th May 2008, 08:35 PM
The discovery and implementation of anti-gravity in the 2030s solved (will have solved?) all kinds of oil- and energy-related problems of today.

That depends on the source of the energy powering the anti-grav generators and the thrusters. It takes a lot of power to push a large object through the air at high speed.

And don't forget, that letting a vehicle be supported on wheels by the ground surface takes far less power than holding that vehicle up in the air. The levitation only saves the power required to overcome rolling resistance due to contact friction, but requires more power than that just for lift.

rdmx
30th May 2008, 09:25 AM
The 'FX150' league would be the perfect setting for this - read the pure website history - all the amateurs racing in their 'vintage' craft. Racing on makeshift tracks...
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2742/sebencoclimb4am5.th.jpg (http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sebencoclimb4am5.jpg)
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6164/sol2t4gl1.th.jpg (http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sol2t4gl1.jpg)

adelheid
1st June 2008, 05:07 PM
Aww, you didn't post the Frozen New York picture :( But that is what I was thinking :)
[Edit]
Can you imagine a bunch of beat up ships with pieces of old car bodies and stuff welded on to them wizzing around your local boy-racer circuit? I wonder if Quirex and friends would have to fix their craft with parts from old trucks?

KIGO1987
2nd June 2008, 03:57 PM
Qirex prob be running on some Lada parts.

Lance
2nd June 2008, 07:09 PM
Or Fiat 124, in a pinch.

KIGO1987
3rd June 2008, 06:50 AM
Lol. You'll need the Abarth engine variant to get it off the mark.

RJ O'Connell
5th June 2008, 11:24 PM
Qirex prob be running on some Lada parts.
It can't outstrip the restored AG Systems running on the mighty 305 cc motor of the ultimate truck of our time, the Daihatsu Midget. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Midget) ;)

omega329
6th June 2008, 03:26 PM
Used to race a couple of midgets around nurburgring on GT4 with my mate, it was more a demolition derby than a race...

KIGO1987
6th June 2008, 03:46 PM
I remember the Daihatsu Midget on Gran Turismo 2 and 4. A car with one puropse. To move small loads in the ports of Japan. ****, taking that car around the Nurgburgring in GT4 one lap must be like 30minutes or more.

Darkdrium777
6th June 2008, 03:55 PM
These are very popular in Italy, you will see them often if you go there :p They are very funny looking cars (Or motorcycles, since it's almost one hahah)

KIGO1987
6th June 2008, 04:02 PM
Speaking about Italian cars how cool does the 2008 Fiat 500 Abarth look like. Damn only 900kg and its got a 1.4l turbo inline4 producing 135HP/100kW. Small power but a car with that much weight on it would be cool to fang around in and very cheap to run on with these stupid high petrol prices. Stupid high tarrifs in this country makes this car very exspensive to purchase. But still would be intelligent vehicle to buy.

omega329
6th June 2008, 04:04 PM
Tell me about it! It was funny on the massive straight, last lap, I've never seen slipstreaming so vital to the outcome of a race.

KIGO1987
6th June 2008, 04:18 PM
If im over in Germany i would love to go to the Nurburgring and take any car on the curcuit for a fang even the hire car. Heard it only costs a few euro to take your car on the curcuit. Damn that race course with all the dips, inclines, blind corners and straights would make anyone a better driver.

RJ O'Connell
6th June 2008, 04:53 PM
(tries to pull this thread on-topic again)

If there was minor league underground racing in a Wipeout game, the Nordschliefe could be a great final course. It'd have to look run-down, and the track surface would have to be retrofitted to accomodate the racing craft - but think of THAT as a challenge! O_O

adelheid
6th June 2008, 11:20 PM
That sounds pretty cool, I can imagine whizzing along a battered old track at sunset, flying past crumbling advertisements and collapsed stands, with smoke belching out of my rusty original Goteki 45 :D

Kscorps
8th September 2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry for the bump but maybe before real AG tracks are built, people race them on existing tracks like the Nurburgring. That would be cool.

eLhabib
8th September 2008, 08:32 AM
if you race the Nürburgring in an AG-craft, it's pretty much a straightaway! No need to stay on the asphalt, y'know...

DJ Techno
17th September 2008, 08:29 PM
As I understand it the races collapsed due to corruption during the Fusion era (Or was that a fan fic?) but here is a problem:

People would still want the race. Yes their precious illusions have been shattered, yes they will never trust the race officials and probably some of the teams again, but would they let the races die? Hell no.

Soooo.... cue the little guy: amateur pilots in home made ships sponsored by Dave's Fish and Chip Shop wizzing around dilapidated old tracks and cordoned off streets and country lanes, small leagues and small competitions between small numbers of countries.... you get the picture.

you know, but movies years and years ago....

as when MAD Max and another movie about the same thing. where things were corrupt, things collapsed, and society did their own things.

especially when it came to racing. that out of the blue, teams out of "to say" home garages brought their machines to cleaned up, old torn down race tracks.
and just out of the love and what else more it brought to the people. Raced their vehicles, suped up by the driver and his own crew on these tracks.

that when pure came out. it brought a story just like the same thing I and probably others have seen before.

You know why people who make movies or games about something just like that?

Because it just damn well is gonna happen, has happened, and its the main thing that human kind likes.

Just like I like/do racing.
I got myself, my car, some crew. We fix up our cars, put it out on the street or an abandoned race course. shut down for years because of curruption, to many accidents and innocent lives dieing, or shut down cause of no more money.

wasn't what i did and many more. the same thing in the story after fusion, that leads up to pure. KINDA!