PDA

View Full Version : nick bryant = bad man

JABBERJAW
10th April 2008, 08:32 PM
Who is this nick bryant infringing on my records :) I think he should be banned(get that french guy too)

Albino Ace
11th April 2008, 11:21 AM
Heheheheheh...*ahem*. O_O (ninja smiley.) :lol

I'm just a not-so-ordinary 17 year old boy in the (IMO) hellhole known as south Florida. :P

Don't feel too bad, Al...you're still first in quite a few places - for the moment. ;)

I would've gotten vids for my Rapier and Phantom single race times in LS103, but when I tried to go to replay, for some reason there'd be some extra bump into a ship that never happened in the race, and then my Icaras would steer itself into walls and kill itself. :( To get those times there...it just took some extreme airbraking and timing. Getting out of the pit lane - REALLY fun. :P

Hmm...perhaps if I just adjust to the .5 second lag from the DVD recorder - which may take a bit of time I imagine! - then maybe I'll record the actual race instead...should fix the screwed-up replay problem. ^_^ (Assayeah sent me a PM before about getting some cords and specially arranging them to eliminate the lag, but I'm not very tech-savvy at all, and I'm not that fond of change...I'll just make due with what I got, thanks. ^^d )

(I would imagine this goes for all who try to use not-so-mobile craft at levels like that and P-mar) "Airbrakes are your friend". :nod

JABBERJAW
11th April 2008, 01:46 PM
All you need is the multi out with svideo and regular video on it. One goes to tv, one goes to recorder. All my records were done with the recorder(I didn't know there was lag). My first and only record outside of this setup is on talons Xl, where I went from a 1:15.2 to a 1:14.7, and could knock off a few more tenths, so it is much easier without the lag.

So my recommendation is that you go through the recorder first :)

"Don't feel too bad, Al...you're still first in quite a few places - for the moment."
Oh, you should not have written that :) I am 38, but still have some competitive spirit

Albino Ace
11th April 2008, 06:16 PM
That would make me GLAD that I wrote that - good to know the spirit's still in ya. ;)

^_^

Lance
11th April 2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, you should not have written that :) I am 38, but still have some competitive spirit

Some?! Ha! You've got mAjor competitive spirit.

I sorta wish I did, but I seem to have gone off into writing and such, and haven't paid attention to my racing times in far too long. Not that I would have a shot against the top competitors anyway. But still it would be good to keep myself reasonably sharp.

Lion
11th April 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm surprised you don't have a response to calling south florida a hellhole, Lance? or are you in a more northern area of the state?

Lance
12th April 2008, 12:13 AM
Why argue against truth? ;)

Albino Ace
12th April 2008, 12:15 AM
Orlando, ye say? Hmm...

A few of my sister's friends go to UCF now...and I'm thinking of UCF as a backup choice for college (Embry Riddle in Daytona is my first :D )

Too bad you don't seem to have an AIM or MSN (unless you simply didn't mention it in your profile here) - we could chat sometime, Al. Ace to ace. :P *sees Lance giving Albino a look* You could join in the convos too, if ya want. :) lol

eLhabib
12th April 2008, 12:16 AM
Orlando? Really? If I'd known that last November, I'd have paid you a visit! I'll be in Orlando again this November (6th to 24th), so if you're interested, I'd be happy to invite you to a drink!

*sorry for going offtopic*

Albino Ace
12th April 2008, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about going "off topic" - my first post in this thread answered Al's question, I think...so...yea. o_o (ninja) :lol

Lance
12th April 2008, 12:40 AM
Oh, you should always worry about going offtopic; those mods are a touchy and highly reactive lot. :g

Albino Ace
12th April 2008, 12:43 AM
Hmm...I can respect that. :)

In that case, this thread has served its purpose; Al asked who I was, I explained. :P So...I suppose the mods will determine this thread's fate? :o

Lance
12th April 2008, 12:46 AM
Well, I could close the thread now, but so far I'm still amused. :)

blixabargeld
12th April 2008, 08:49 PM
I think that jabberjaw may just isn't so amused.. :g
congratulations, albino..

Asayyeah
18th April 2008, 04:19 PM
Congrats Nick to kick Al's arse, hehehe :P
Hope to follow your path next week for his big massive Wipeout tournament :D

JABBERJAW
18th April 2008, 04:51 PM
I hope you take the path "more traveled"

Lance
18th April 2008, 09:13 PM
Nice literary reference. :)

JABBERJAW
16th May 2008, 01:41 PM
Have you ever heard the entire poem? or just seen the poster? The poster kind of misrepresents the poem to a degree

Albino Ace
16th May 2008, 03:00 PM
ROFL, talk about a poem makes me look like a bad man yet again. :P

Just so you're aware, Al, even though I now have Pulse to consume most of my spare time, I still keep the rust off at 3 every now and then... ;)

Lance
16th May 2008, 07:15 PM
Have you ever heard the entire poem? or just seen the poster? The poster kind of misrepresents the poem to a degree

Not only have I read the original poem, I've written a briefer one of my own on the subject, as a take-off on it, and posted it on my livejournal a few months ago. It is now somewhat buried lower in the pages by newer writings.

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2008, 03:15 AM
Nick, did you have those times saved for when I entered some times?

Albino Ace
2nd June 2008, 11:34 AM
If what you're asking me is "do you still know what times I had before I entered my new ones", then no.

If not that, then I'm not sure I understand your question. :eek

rdmx
2nd June 2008, 11:54 AM
I think he meant, 'did you have those times ready to post, waiting until i updated my own records just to spite me'.

Asayyeah
2nd June 2008, 12:00 PM
Deep intense competition it seems.
Congrats Al for your new true amazing scores.

Albino you said you were playing W3O with Dpad on your ps2, right?
16.93 PK phantom at 0.03 from new record of Al with a Negcon...
Sorry guy i fully doubt of that, you gonna proove us what you are doing here cause with a regular system ( meaning no cheat code ) and with dpad ( not even nub!) and immediately ( less than 6 hours ) to beat most of Al's new top-score while you were focusing on pulse : that is simply not possible.

Something is wrong here and i am sure i am not the only one to doubt about your 'supposely' performance albino.

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2008, 02:54 PM
I didn't say I doubted it before, I just was wondering if you had records ready to post just in case I beat your times. Certainly you must be using a negcon, otherwise I would need to see those times on youtube to believe them if you were using a dpad/analog nub. Those weren't the best times I could get, but they are getting pretty close, and with a Negcon.

Asayyeah
2nd June 2008, 03:07 PM
27/05/200823:14:04AsayyeahAlbino Aceare you playing with a negcon?27/05/200823:14:13Albino AceAsayyeahnope. D-pad for the wing27/05/200823:14:14Albino AceAsayyeah*win

Here's his answer he did to me days ago through MSN.

That's why i want to see proof here.

Albino Ace
2nd June 2008, 03:18 PM
:o Oh dear...

Here's what happened. Mid-late evening (about 7 o'clock or so) I was looking around the tables out of curiosity and happened to see that Al had updated. So, I figured at that point I'd give Pulse a break and try to improve for myself in 3. It took a few hours to get the records I ended up posting later that night.

Technically, it was past my "bedtime" (as my mom likes to say. *shrug* I don't agree with it, but...well, not much I can do there, right? :P ). So, I didn't want to turn on any lights, which would signal I was still awake. Thus, I was reading my times off of a paper in the dark. I did have a bit of a hard time seeing...perhaps I should've held off on them.

Ok, since there happens to be some doubt about 'em, for now I'll just delete them. At a later date to be determined, I post records again there - and make sure I can read 'em from my paper properly! How's that sound? :)

eLhabib
2nd June 2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.musik-base.de/images/groups/Caught-In-The-Act.jpg
if you get my drift... ;)

Albino Ace
2nd June 2008, 03:29 PM
I don't get your drift...although, concerning the subject matter of this thread currently, I have a feeling its not good... :eek :lol

Anyway, the records I put last night have been deleted...

So a Neggie is that much better than a D-pad, eh? Any chance I can see how effective it is in the form of some vid? I'd love to watch that! :D

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2008, 03:50 PM
Why would you delete your times if they are legitimate? That does not make any sense. You beat 5 good race records, and 6 lap records in 3.5 hours, keeping in mind that the lap records are not achieveable while trying to get a good race time since all the turbo needs to be used on one lap. I am certainly not saying my times cannot be beaten, but that seems like a pretty short time to beat that many of them. Dpad though, I don't buy a 1:31.78 with the dap on time trial porta kora. I would need to see it to believe that one. I have had to prove my records in the past when people said I was cheating. (didn't have to, but did anyway). Can you upload these times onto youtube? Maybe there is something I am not understanding about the dap (maybe the game runs faster), although that is unlikely.

Asayyeah
2nd June 2008, 03:58 PM
the drift is we are looking at your records with Dpad in a very suspicious way.
Put it that way : there's no way possible to do your supposed lap & racetime with a Dpad.
Or you put a gameshark code to be faster or you simply never did those times and got a problem of ego.
Anyway you are a blatant cheater.

To correct me and proove me i am completely wrong about you, i'd like that someone film you when you put your original disk of W3O ntsc into your non-moddified ps2 then loading all the game till Porto Kora Phantom TT and start playing with your famous dpad : the one who is filming you must alternate between your hands and what is displayed on the screen

16.93 PK dpad ... that made me a good ironic laugh :g

JABBERJAW
2nd June 2008, 04:36 PM
didn't you say you have your playstation hooked up through the recorder? Maybe you could record the time, then post it up. If you want to see the negcon at work. go to youtube and type in some tracks names for wipeout xl

TheFrostE
2nd June 2008, 09:07 PM
pffft what is this all about...everyone who was in vermont for Als tournament KNOW that me and eric (AG wolf) are THE true dpad masters, am i right arnuad and al? ;p ace, take a look at my new XL videos using dpad in phantom WITH pirhana...that is the power you are seeking

Lance
2nd June 2008, 09:14 PM
"TheFrostE", are you 'on' something today? The intensely opinionated and egoistically dismissive posting you've been doing today is starting to irritate me. Your posts are right at or even a bit beyond the borderline of offensive, or so it seems to me in my current mental state.

TheFrostE
2nd June 2008, 09:35 PM
??? well i found that a bit offensive towards me lance. whats up with that, clearly i put in smileys above along with the capitalization to note the sarcasm i was putting forth. i believe there was a past discussion on understanding ones sarcasm on these boards before. and what other posts did you find somewhat offensive that i posted today, the one where i talked about my overheating wii? or the one where i asked about the six axis control? or the joke about them remaking XL? where those all offensive? only one i could see was the fatal intertia one, which was more of a bash towards that game than anything else, and apprently bashing FI runs rampant in these forums.

im sorry but i think that comment was kind of rude seeing as you only recognize one "negative" post i made today

you dont know me at all compared to some others on the forums who have met me personally, if you want to disprove how egotistical i am, or offensive i am, talk to them, but dont verbally attack me on a public forum in front of everyone because of your opinion, it could have been done in a msg.

Asayyeah
2nd June 2008, 10:43 PM
Ouch! that private joke about king of Dpad felt down :( . I did undersood it like other pilots who were at Al's place for sure but most of members here, not.

back on topic :
I want to watch that video Albino, the one i am asking you few posts ago.
Btw the story of your excuses and the way you deleted promtly your new top scores are weird

TheFrostE
2nd June 2008, 11:08 PM
well he has videos up of replays on the phantom runs in wipeout 3...do they show times at the end or not, if not cant you run a stop watch or something maybe on his lap times or whole race?

infoxicated
2nd June 2008, 11:15 PM
Can you all ease off the witch hunt until Albino Ace has had a chance to reply.

//wonders whether to accept child care vouchers for running this creche

Asayyeah
2nd June 2008, 11:29 PM
you know people did put a lot of effort and times into those tables and we are gentlemen pilots so to keep the competition fair and intense between trusty members we need to clarify things and quickly.

He did beat Al quickly and us through Pulse so he can find someone to film him while installing his game and racing with Dpad.

supersocks
3rd June 2008, 12:55 AM
Damn, I burned my popcorn...

TheFrostE
3rd June 2008, 01:07 AM
should have used kettle corn :dizzy

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2008, 01:14 AM
If he can do it with a dpad, there is a new wipeout king for sure, beating 11 of my pretty decent times in 3.5 hours, and managing to get good times on the phantom races you didn't quite beat as well. To be sure, I don't care what controller you did it with, but would like to see the real race on youtube since you have it hooked through your recorder. Not the replay though, the real race. I'll definitely give the benefit of the doubt until I see the races(phantom specifically)

Albino Ace
3rd June 2008, 01:59 AM
Wow...I can understand all of this happening at someplace like AceCombatSkies.com, but here?? O_O

he can find someone to film him while installing his game and racing with Dpad.

Getting the equipment to film the way you requested (regular vid cam and all), let alone finding someone willing to spare time out of their own life (especially when I explain what its for >_> ) is not easy at all for me...maybe it is for you, but the DVD recorder is all I got.

OK, here's what I'm going to do...I didn't get any of the special equipment Al was mentioning (a house that's had a leaky roof since Oct. 2005, along with some other problems, takes priority over stuff for the sake of recording a video game...the DVD recorder happened to be a Christmas present from my step-mom, and the PSP was a belated birthday present in case you all wonder). Thus, I still really can't record the actual race without my performance being hindered, and unless there's some problem with my previous Wip3out vids that you all didn't mention, I'm simply going to record this new vid the same way I've done the others.

I decided I'll forget about the Time Trial records for now and just do a Single Race at Mega Mall. I can understand if you're all still not satisfied, since it is the replay, and its only Venom. When finals are over I'll start doing the Time Trial records again...

I'm just going to disregard the ones from the paper I tried to read in the dark, since they caused all this...I'll work on those records - fresh - at a later date...I'd have to get used to the lag and record the actual race since theres no replay in TT...

I didn't think all this would happen...and I most certainly didn't intend on it...All I'm going to say is: What happened to the whole "Let's be friends" slogan?? Its fine if you all disagree, but I feel this is just an honest mistake on my part... :(

EDIT: Here's the Mega Mall vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkLjYuHWuM

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2008, 03:27 AM
The replay is not a good form of proof. infinite energy codes, meaning infinite turbo, and in replay mode you cannot see the energy bar. It is not alot of equipment. It is a multi video output that does regular av, and svideo.

If you give me your address, I will send one to you for free, and you will have no problems hooking it up, it is really easy.

A real good way of proving times is to duplicate a PHANTOM race TIME TRIAL time on porta kora OR MEGA MALL. Even if you didn't get the same exact time, it is easy to tell by the lap times, and the way that you are racing the track, replay mode does not allow for this, but with the wire I will send to you, you will have no problem with the recording AND NO LAG

You need to understand that noone has even come close to getting times that are comparable on PHANTOM speed to a negcon using a Dpad or an analog nub. It just does not allow for the pitch control neccessary to get those times, that is why people are suspicious, not to mention saying you beat Steven's excellent outpost 7 times in 3 tries, and beating 11 of my pretty good times in 3.5 hours, a feat that Arnaud would only have a 20% chance of doing (it might take him 4 hours on those times).

Anyway, here is a chance for you to show that you can do these times, free of charge, and prove alot of people wrong. While I would like to see 3.5 hours of recorded playing resulting in similar results to the 3.5 hours you played on sunday night myself (without breaks, just straight through), but as it is I would be extremely impressed with one phantom time on porta that is under 1:32 with the dpad. Hell, I would be impressed if it was under 1:36 or so. Or mega mall if you prefer. You had a time of 2:26.x on phantom before you deleted your times

TheFrostE
3rd June 2008, 03:32 AM
pretty impressive if real...but in lap 2, (your record) you hit one auto pilot on the spiral, and you did not grind one wall that lap, even with turbo, before and after the pit, i dont see how you nabbed that time. this is just my opinion

lunar
3rd June 2008, 08:26 AM
albino ace, I think you need to understand that Al and Arnaud have been playing this game since it launched in 1999, and have consistently put in performances faster than many, many other dedicated players. They are on a level like elite players who complete Super Mario in 4 and a half minutes..... that kind of thing. When someone beats Al it is a big thing in the history of the wipeoutzone tables. We don`t need to see every race proved, but we do need to see proof that you have the ability to get these times within these rules. If you can establish this ability to get these times within these rules you`ll never be doubted again.

All Single Race times should attained racing against the maximum number of opponents with weapons activated.
No cheat codes should be active while attaining any record.
Times must be set on an unmodified console which is the same region as the copy of the game. (e.g. PAL PS2 and PAL game disc.)
Lap and Race records must be set with clean laps and races – times from races which you have been re-spawned in or eliminated from are invalid. Please do not enter fake times - a lot of members put a lot of hard work into achieving their records and it would be highly unfair to displace them with inaccurate information.

Please also make sure you are updating the records for the correct game version.

Even Assayeah was once asked to prove his ability, and he did do it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGrkmk43Rog). It`s not victimization, it`s just us wanting to preserve the integrity of the tables. "Let`s be friends" doesn`t mean a free pass for someone putting in probably the third or fourth strongest set of records ever seen on this site and not being required to prove anything, and in the process possibly having the tables wrecked. I`ve been a member since 02 and would also be asked for proof in this case - though that could be because everyone knows how ropey my piloting is.

Al`s pointed out how you can do it and I think you need to do it. If you can`t film the screen with a camcorder, you can at the very least record a few fast phantom time trials and show us the game loading screens and all selections right through to the race - not a replay, which we can analyze looking at load times and other things. If you want to be believed I think you need to do it and there is a way, as Al says. It`s not rocket-science it`s just putting sound and video leads in the right places in the right order.

infoxicated
3rd June 2008, 08:54 AM
you know people did put a lot of effort and times into those tables and we are gentlemen pilots so to keep the competition fair and intense between trusty members we need to clarify things and quickly.
It's always been the case that people have seven days to clarify a challenged record - that's going back to the Ezboard days of the W3PA.

In this thread you're acting less like a moderator and more like a flamer, Arnaud - goading someone you're accusing of cheating is about as destructive to the community as cheating itself.

Please take Lunar's post as an example of how you should be approaching this.

Albino Ace
3rd June 2008, 10:44 AM
Oh dear lord...

Just so its clear, I didn't mean "Lets be friends" as in "let me get away with my 'supposed' cheating"...I meant it more as in how infox was referring to Arnaud and whatnot.

Also, I never use cheat codes...the closest thing to "cheating" I ever do is just use Auto-pilot when I happen to get it from a weapon-pad and use it at a convienent spot. I couldn't have possibly had constant auto-pilot or anything like that since there were a couple of wall bumps in the vid.

Now...I'm sure normally you're all a very friendly and trustworthy community from an internet forum, but...giving an address to physically MAIL the stuff? :eek I can just imagine getting the stuff in the mail, my mom acting like "WTF" and then me having to explain the whole scenario. And you can tell that wouldn't end well...

Alright. After my finals are done (I don't plan on screwing those over for the sake of a video game or some record tables - no offense intended, but it IS school and real life after all...), I will deal with the brief lag and record some phantom time trials. The soonest I can start working with them is Thursday afternoon or evening. How's that sound?

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2008, 01:57 PM
"Now...I'm sure normally you're all a very friendly and trustworthy community from an internet forum, but...giving an address to physically MAIL the stuff? I can just imagine getting the stuff in the mail, my mom acting like "WTF" and then me having to explain the whole scenario. And you can tell that wouldn't end well..."

All it is is the "video out" of the playstation. I offered it to you because they do not sell it at regular stores anymore, but I bought some off from ebay for my tournament, and I ended up not using some of them for various reasons. If you like recording your races, this is the best way to do it without any lag. I have given a few of these out already to people, so I doubt your mom would be upset you got a wire as a gift, hell you could give me a different address and I could mail it there no problem. I'm trying to give you an easy way to record your times here, and its free.

Now that I am thinking about it, they still do sell the video/svideo combination wire at stores, but it is for the ps1,2,3/360/wii instead of the one I have ps1+2,/xbox/n64. It would cost you around 20$ though

I have a new and my original best time recording of a Time trial on porta kora (both done through dvr with lag), and an old mega mall time (original record) that I will try to upload to youtube tonight or tomorrow.

Task
3rd June 2008, 02:22 PM
Aw, there ain't nuthin' wrong with an AP here and there, that's not even remotely like cheating! Well, to anyone but zargz... 8 D

I think all of us are really interested in seeing some really hot Phantom videos from you though, if we could. We don't really have a d-padder that can play at the same level as Al and Arnaud (although many have gotten close at the lower speed classes, there's typically a 10 second racetime gap at Phantom) so everyone's interested to see if it's even possible.

You wouldn't happen to have a DexDrive or something, would you? If you could save a TT ghost for Phantom MegaMall and post it, that would be awesome, I'd really like to try and follow your line!

Anyway, absolutely, take care of RL first, that's the priority, but if you can make a hot Phantom racetime video some time in the near future that would be really great to see. So many of us want to see just how fast a d-pad can go! And more importantly, how you do it! 8 )

Albino Ace
3rd June 2008, 02:54 PM
Hmm... (right now its a break between finals if you all wonder)

Well, I talked to my mom about it this morning, and she actually wasn't upset at all. Guess I don't know her as well as I thought. :lol She said no to our regular home address, but her workplace address or something is alright with her.

Task, I know what you mean with saving the TT ghost file - I think I've seen someone post a file or two of that in the past :P - but I do not have the means for doing so.

After finals, I'll work on some Phantom races...for now, with lag. If my mom gives me the address, then I guess I can send it to you, Al. In that case, once the cable arrives, I'll do my best to set it up and play without lag.

Hopefully this crazyness will all end peacefully. :nod

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2008, 03:05 PM
If the times are legit, there will be no problem. I got the 1:31.63 (16.93) (porta TT) with lag through the recorder, so it is definitely doable. Just don't switch from normal playing without lag to recording, then your timing will be off for sure. Once you send me a pm of the address, I'll mail it with the cords labeled so you can plug it in easily.

Asayyeah
3rd June 2008, 03:11 PM
Nothing more to say on this on my part, let's wait.

TheFrostE
4th June 2008, 02:27 AM
the talons junction time does seem a bit more believable now upon closer inspection, guess we'll have to wait and see what i can do since me and Ace are really the only ones here who use feisar

Albino Ace
4th June 2008, 02:54 AM
I commented on your vid, but I'll also say it here:

Judging from what I can see in the vid, it appears your nose isn't down. Nosing down increases your speed a slight amount. Thus, holding it down would increase your speed substantially over a long period of time. I suggest doing that race again, but trying it with the nose down. See if you notice a difference. :g

Its what I always do in my Pulse races...offline and online.

Anyway...wow...I remember when this thread was first made with humorous intent back in April... (Al, at that time, you DID mean it in good humor, right? :P ) I hate to say this, but right now, the thread title couldn't be more correct. :(

Yes, at that moment in time when I posted those times in the tables, stupid emotions such as anger overtook logic. What I should've done was just let Al's new set of records be...but no, the egotistic, selfish side of me wouldn't allow that.

So, for that I apologize...hopefully this foolish mistake of mine can be forgiven and we can all peacefully move on. However, I'm certain that, once able to do so, I can show that I'll at least come somewhat close to what I had formerly posted. (of course, ones definition of close can vary greatly...its not another half a minute or anything like that, let me tell you!) :lol

Anyway...so, the bogus times have been removed. All currently present records at any and all WOZ tables I have ARE LEGIT, believe it or not. (lol, reminds me of Ripley's museum in St. Augustine...) Like I said FrostE, try nosing down. It doesn't look like you did in your vid.

EDIT: Yep. I'm damn sure its because you didnt nose down. I just tried one quick race there now - Venom, Time Trial, TJ White, Feisar - but with no nosing down, just regular height...and that race got me a time much closer to yours. Only 1 second or so off

TheFrostE
4th June 2008, 03:13 AM
......instead of posting again i took out the thing about wo3, i did try it with a bit of nosing down and did notice a difference, maybe not THAT much but ill see what i can do with it when i have more time sooo, thats an apology from me. video removed. let us move on, just be careful not to mix up your emotions with other peoples hard earned accomplishments

Albino Ace
4th June 2008, 03:25 AM
Disregard, problem solved.

EDIT:
just be careful not to mix up your emotions with other peoples hard earned accomplishments

Will do, FrostE...will do. 8)

infoxicated
4th June 2008, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, Nick, I'm not so quick to forgive and forget. You have thrown the integrity of the records system under the same bus as your own integrity and trustworthiness.

You were beat. You couldn't deal with it. You cheated. That's the bottom line.

If you had behaved in a similarly deceptive manner on the forums, then you'd be serving a ban for a certain measure of time, no question about it.

As of right now, all of your records have been purged from the WipEoutZone database. You are barred from competing on the WipEoutZone record tables until 1st September 2008 - any attempt to enter times before that date will earn you a permanent ban from both the record tables and the forums.

That's 447 records down the pan because you lied. Consider it a life lesson - one you should learn if you ever hope to gain the trust of people here again.

Frances_Penfold
4th June 2008, 03:37 PM
Wowsers at this thread :eek

Two quick comments:
(1) It's a damn shame that the Wipeout games don't allow true re-plays of time trials-- really complicates the issue of proof.

(2) In comparison to other racing game competition / fan-sites that I have been involved, the WOZ is really generous and laid-back about proof. Mario Kart sites, in comparison, take the issue very seriously, strongly encouraging vids for mid-ranked players and absolutely requiring it for top ranked players. And with good reason, as shown in this thread.

IMHO vid and picture proofing shouldn't be seen as something punitive, it's just part of the process of participating in a racing game community. It's a good idea for all of us to be making vids to have handy, whether one is a top ranked or a mid ranked or a bottom ranked player :)

Which reminds me, I should really make some vids of my mid-ranked times in Wipeout Pulse and Pure :)

Rapier Racer
4th June 2008, 03:58 PM
I recall before the PS3s launch claims that we would be able to record and share our own in game videos, what happened to that idea eh Sony? But with any luck it wont be possible to cheat or gain slight advantages in any way with HD due to PS3 not having CFW, Action replay won't work on a PS3 and I don't believe SL will make cheats for it.

Should eliminate cheats from the number 3.

Frances_Penfold
4th June 2008, 04:15 PM
I agree, the fact that the PS3 isn't "cracked" is a great thing for Wipeout HD.

Though it probably is only a matter of time until even the mighty PS3 becomes hacked, like every other console in history :(

Darkdrium777
4th June 2008, 04:27 PM
It would be very surprising to see something like what happened to the PSP though. I think Sony has established failsafes in the firmware and in it's online infrastructure to discourage any potential custom firmware user. If it will happen, it might only be a chip, and I doubt that the hack will happen soon. Sony has done a very good job for the protection of it's PS3. They had to do it too, because if it were like the PSP which was hacked a week after it's release, Sony would be out of business now.

Rapier Racer
4th June 2008, 05:11 PM
They would have to figure out a way to get round the check when you sign into the PSN, doesn't let you on unless you have the latest firmware.

I wish the worst on anyone who tries to install CFW on a PS3 as in it kills their console and they are left with no PS3 and -£whatever it cost them I'd be highly amused by that.

lunar
4th June 2008, 06:01 PM
I second that Stephen. I`m not prepared to give up my cheat-free wipeout so a few people can play SNES Mario Kart and Frogger on their PS3s. And of course the famous "backups." :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=89586#post89586)
(2) In comparison to other racing game competition / fan-sites that I have been involved, the WOZ is really generous and laid-back about proof. Mario Kart sites, in comparison, take the issue very seriously, strongly encouraging vids for mid-ranked players and absolutely requiring it for top ranked players. And with good reason, as shown in this thread.

You`re right about the value of videos, but I think the reason we`re quite relaxed about proof is that our honour system really works. It`s possibly because you have to use real names - it would be much easier for people to cheat if they could call themselves 1337Wip3r69 or other tosh. The other point is that to be top of any table requires not only ability and practice but a massive level of knowledge about the game. It`s not hard to tell when people don`t have this knowledge - nobody gets genuine records just messing around and playing "for shits", and if a cheater doesn`t really know how to get top times he will probably trip himself up in the end. We`ve been lucky that all the people claiming top times in the past have ticked all the right boxes and been genuinely trustworthy people, until maybe the last few months anyway. When someone establishes themselves as trustworthy I don`t think there`s any need to ask for videos all the time, but if someone shows themselves to be a cheat then there`s every reason to always ask for video proof in the future.

So video evidence has its place, I agree. Without comprehensive video proof I wouldn`t ever trust times from someone who had been exposed as putting in fake times, whatever their reason. Remember Ben Jonson, a good but not great athlete of average ability, who didn`t like it and got to the top by cheating? He was exposed as a cheat, but, after he served his ban, would anyone have trusted him if he`d then set a new world record? In the case in this thread I wouldn`t trust any of this person`s Wip3out times without proof. What about the times that were up before Al beat them? Were these times genuine and possible with a dpad? I don`t think it`s unreasonable to have doubts. And what about the Pulse times too? Some of these are far far ahead of very good players, and it`s not established that the nose-down technique makes that much difference. For Pulse, and I know a few who agree with me, I`d also need to see video proof. This means irrefutable proof that he is using official firmware, something which the Wipeout Zone rules require, and that he is using a UMD with no modifications to the console anywhere. Whatever excuses this player can come up with why it`s so hard to do these videos, I don`t think we have any obligation to believe his assurances, I think the responsibility is on him to give us real proof. You make your bed, you lie in it.

Maybe I shouldn`t have made this post, but there are a few of us who feel the same and are afraid that the amazing history of honest play we have here could be compromised. It`s not about self-interest for me - I know that in a month of Sundays I`m not going to get any Wip3out or Pulse records, however much I put the nose down.

I think with Pulse we`ve just seen cheating on a massive scale on the official site and online, and I don`t want to see it spread to here.

And finally thanks Rob for taking this action. Sorry for going on about it and sounding so sanctimonious, but I really hate it when people don`t play with respect for your efforts and for other players, which is what it`s all about. I hate it so much I can`t keep quiet, get too angry and write far too long posts, but anyway there it is.

infoxicated
4th June 2008, 07:09 PM
That's okay, Lunar, I understand your feelings and I totally understand the reactions of people such as Arnaud, who put countless hours into achieving their fantastic times.

Going against my better judgement, I decided that Nick Bryant will get a second chance to be part of the leaderboards on this site in September.

Given just how close he came to being banned from the entire site, he will get no third chance.

q_dmc12
4th June 2008, 08:50 PM
Which reminds me, I should really make some vids of my mid-ranked times in Wipeout Pulse and Pure :)

That's one I'm still trying to figure out - can't do without a good cam and a steady hand or that acronym Rob hates. ;)

1337Wip3r69
you really wanted to use that name for yourself didn't you? ....don't lie, you know you did. ;):p

locus2k
5th June 2008, 01:21 AM
The ps3 already has been hacked and there are some stuff for it, especally for the yellow dog linux that can be installed on it, but the problem right now is its very conveluted to do and I do not want to brick a $500 dollar machine otherwise I wont be able to play HD when it comes out ; ;

As far as cheating goes, I too am guilty of cheating on the www.wipeout-game.com times, but that was to prove a point that those moderators dont care about bogus times. Here I'm not even worthy of posting my menial times since im not even in the same league with the majority of everyone here. Al and Arnie worked hard and diligently to get those incredible times and for someone to post bogus times here is wrong completly wrong. Trust me I live with Al and have seen him race many perfect races and he still says "I can do better" if thats not a perfect slogan for a WO pilot I dont know what is.

JABBERJAW
5th June 2008, 01:25 AM
wipeout-game.com records tables you mean Isaac, after they would not remove many bogus times, which later was found out that they cannot remove them without resetting the whole thing I think. The tables here are awesome though, easy to fix times that were entered incorrectly, like putting a lap in a single race, etc.

Darkdrium777
5th June 2008, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't consider installing Yellow Dog Linux on the PS3 as a hack but if something else was done I'd like to know about it, not because I want to do it but just to be informed ;)

As for cheating well it's really too bad if someone falls that low in order to beat someone else (Isaac I know you didn't do it because you wanted to but to check it out and that's normal. You may have forgotten not to save your profile, I don't know what the reason is but you apologized. Like Nick here, he also has apologized although I think you held on to your story a bit too long... :/). I especially hate those who cheat and keep saying 'lol' when they beat you/kill you/etc. That is especially infuriating. Hopefully WipEout HD will remain safe.

Albino Ace
5th June 2008, 01:21 PM
Held on to my story too long...yep, no doubt about that. u_u

As far as saying things like "lol" whenever someone kills you...that's not my thing. Now, some guys at AceCombatSkies...THEY'RE the ones who "lol" at just about anything, including killing someone online or something. So...I lol @ them. :P

Mad-Ice
5th June 2008, 01:31 PM
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth! Yeah, this is making the world a happy place!

Try to make up your own mind about who you wanna be. I just wish you all the strenght you need to be able to become an honest person who we all can trust again.

Good luck!

Frances_Penfold
5th June 2008, 03:21 PM
That's one I'm still trying to figure out - can't do without a good cam and a steady hand or that acronym Rob hates.

I recently picked up a small tripod, and it seems to work pretty well for maintaining a level and steady shot at my TV. So if I mount my digital camera, set it to movie mode, and then hook my PSP up to the TV using the video out, I can record races fairly well. The problem, of course, is that I have to set good times RIGHT THERE while the camera is rolling, which can be hard, or at least time consuming. If the damn game would support proper time trial replays, it would be trivial to record these races.

P.S. What is the acronym that Rob hates? :lol

Darkdrium777
5th June 2008, 04:21 PM
P.S. What is the acronym that Rob hates? :lolCFW, for Custom FirmWare. ;) I won't go into details but there is an application available for PSP that allows it to display it's screen on the computer monitor. Then, with any screen capture program (Hypercam is a good choice) you can record what's happening. If you want you can check out insertcoin's Youtube page or mine to see the results (Respectively consolefreak888 and darkdrium777 on YT).

Frances_Penfold
5th June 2008, 06:27 PM
Ah, yes, I should have guessed that :)

I imagine that could be useful for vids though personally, I'd prefer to have the vids made on a separate media device so that I only need to import those very best files on my computer-- I'm try to minimize clutter on my laptop :)

q_dmc12
5th June 2008, 08:46 PM
I recently picked up a small tripod, and it seems to work pretty well for maintaining a level and steady shot at my TV. So if I mount my digital camera, set it to movie mode, and then hook my PSP up to the TV using the video out, I can record races fairly well. The problem, of course, is that I have to set good times RIGHT THERE while the camera is rolling, which can be hard, or at least time consuming. If the damn game would support proper time trial replays, it would be trivial to record these races.

Ah, but here en lies the problem - I have an un-modded phat that I bought at release. ;) Hence the acronym...

Mano
6th June 2008, 06:20 AM
this is bad, i really like the honor system here, good thing it was dealt with swiftly.

Videos are not only to prove something, its a nice way to share your knowledge of a track, technique, shortcut or whatever and a good way to see your own mistakes, also others can help you fix them if you share.

On a side note, i have a new LCD tv...IT SUCKS for playing XL, its bigger but the image is total crap for PS games and my timing is thrown off, CRT monitors and old tube tvs are way faster on images.

at first i thought that its because i havent played in a long time, but im certain it has something to do with the LCD.

i want my old 32" Trinitron TV back!!!! (or maybe play as often as i used to? :D)

Lance
11th June 2008, 12:02 AM
Look what I missed when the lightning knocked out my telephone/internet!
Guilty as charged after all. And guilty of cover-up, too. I'm disappointed all round.

eLhabib
11th June 2008, 01:21 AM
I'm still disappointed noone got my 'caught-in-the-act' pun... some people don't know their 90s boybands... ;)

Lance
11th June 2008, 02:25 AM
Some people don't wAnt to know them. :D

Mano
11th June 2008, 02:44 AM
Their?, if im included you can have my share :D

RJ O'Connell
18th July 2008, 09:26 PM
Whoa. This slipped under the radar, I was reading some of the older threads and this happens.

I'm glad to see this is dealt with, and I await the first of September so that Albino Ace can post new and certainly legal times here on the record tables. As I wasn't involved in this situation as it developed, I don't necessarily feel as outraged at what happened than other members, but still, it's disappointing that someone felt that all the barrel rolls, building shortcuts and turbos weren't enough.

Though, the cynic in me wonders what will happen if Nick returns to the timetables with clean and fast times, and ends up banned from the entire site because of previous track records. Maybe he doesn't actually need infinite turbos or CFW exploits to be a top-5 pilot. The suspicion will be there, and knowing the hair-trigger responses of the administrative team, it could result in an unfair punishment down the road, despite having committed no actual offense after 9/1/08.

I appreciate and admire the efforts of Al Sartwell, Arnaud Senand and the other great pilots here, hell, if you want to throw me in that group, go right ahead. It'd be interesting to see someone top their amazing times in Wip3out or XL fairly. I just worry that this development will result in people being kicked off the site for the offense of "being faster than Al or Arnaud." Which would defeat the purpose of even having the records table to begin with.

Just offering my two cents, and hoping the fast times here won't become totally corrupted like the whole of cycling;
-RJ

JABBERJAW
19th July 2008, 01:19 AM
"I just worry that this development will result in people being kicked off the site for the offense of "being faster than Al or Arnaud."

What a awesome Idea !! :) Sorry lunar, you are out of competition on the WO1 tables

Seriously though, I am sending Albino the wires needed to record times with easily. I did not have enough funds to send it way back when I was supposed to send a bunch of stuff, but now people can expect their packages shortly. I personally need to see the recorded times to believe them now, even for pulse. But the process is easy for ps1, and with a psp, it can be recorded easily with a camcorder. I have been doing this and it is not too difficult.

Youtube is a nice way to show you are not cheating I think, and see how people approach thier lines on a good run as well