PDA

View Full Version : Grid positioning in online races.

Mad-Ice
7th April 2008, 10:28 AM
For the online grid positioning in a future Wipeout, I would like to see a change! Because in Pulse it is random, sometimes you are always starting first and sometimes always last position. If you start first position you have an enormous advantage of picking up the first weaponpad. Which means second place misses the pad and third place picking up something to hit second place and giving first place an even bigger advantage.

This is becoming even more important when you have equal skilled pilots. First place position on the grid is giving you the possible TT session in a race.

My first thoughts of improvement:

1. Every race you start on a different grid position. Equal changes for everyone.
2. You need to qualify with a TT race before entering a race.

What are your thoughts about this?

blixabargeld
7th April 2008, 03:36 PM
imho would be fine to have a ranking system based on "skill points" that always place the most skilled pilot in last position, to give good chances also to noobs, or, as you said, the good ol qualify lap(s).
maybe's better than random...

cheers

kekken3
7th April 2008, 08:55 PM
I also don't like the random starting positions for the reasons Mad Ice already specified, but TT qualifying laps are cumbersome and so non-arcadey... I think a simple solution would be to form the starting grid by reversing the current tournament positions of the players. Last is first, while the current leader starts in last place.

eLhabib
7th April 2008, 09:10 PM
that would be a perfect solution for tournaments imo, but it doesn't solve the issue with single races, or the first race of a tournament, for that matter.

Axel
8th April 2008, 01:32 PM
How about this, for the post above. Have it set up that the one with the slowest personal race time for the track start at the front, and so on. This way newbies will at least get a chance.

eLhabib
8th April 2008, 01:46 PM
would be perfect, but I guess it's tough to code.

Axel
8th April 2008, 02:02 PM
It shouldn't be. Just need to do a quick calculation looking at the pilots race records and then organised them properly.

All the stats are uploaded to a game when they join in. But this will only play into effect for the first race. The other races will go by the prositions of the first race etc. I can't see how it can get any fairer than that.

TheFrostE
9th April 2008, 02:00 AM
i think some sort of a more organized grid system would be great, any thing is better than the complete randomness i suppose, even though i dont really mind that too much either way

Mad-Ice
9th April 2008, 01:30 PM
Very nice ideas guys! I hope SL is reading this. I especially like: the idea of kekken3; to form the starting grid by reversing the current tournament positions of the players. Last is first, while the current leader starts in last place.

When there is a Single Race I like the idea of Axel the best: Have it set up that the one with the slowest personal race time for the track start at the front, and so on. This way newbies will at least get a chance.

packetmon
11th April 2008, 04:06 AM
today there was a race with a bunch of us noobs on flash.

guess who gets the one spot? Del Stepho :rolleyes:

Darkdrium777
16th April 2008, 01:39 AM
LOL. Well at least he didn't bother you much while you enjoyed your little trek around the track. He just whooshed passed the finish line very fast xD
I have to agree that the random grid positioning is rather bugging, it would be best to place either the good ones on top (Since they earned it basically) or the bad ones on top to try and even things out.

Asayyeah
19th April 2008, 02:12 AM
I also like KKN & axel idea.

Rapier Racer
23rd April 2008, 09:00 PM
This problem can be solved if you switch to Goteki then you can just boost into first place straight off the grid.