PDA

View Full Version : qirex cannot beat auricom!

TheFrostE
3rd April 2008, 01:34 AM
ok me and my friend have been debating this for some time now, hes an older member here, but any ways. after hours and hours of practicing, its simply not possible for a qirex to beat auricom in more than half the races despite having higher top speed and less thrust. its simply not possible, and he syas he can do it. so here it is "CAN SOME ONE MAKE A VIDEO OF RACING TERRAMAX OR ALTIMA WITH AURICOM AND QIREX, AND RACE THEM BOTH PERFECT AND SEE WHO COMES OUT ON TOP". im going to try to make a video as well, but if youve seen my 33.9 time with auricom on terramax, ive raced qirex perefect on that race and still fell at least a few seconds short of my auricom time

RJ O'Connell
3rd July 2008, 03:01 AM
To me, beating the game with Qirex is just an ego-feeder. (And I'm happy to say I have - at least, the Venom Class championships). It's not any faster than Auricom and is just terrible around corners. Your friend is dead wrong. Take it from another Wipeout 1 expert. There's not really a lot more that can be done. Save your time and effort.

AG-wolf
3rd July 2008, 03:56 AM
hey hey hey the "friend" is me, buddy ;P I was just joking around 'cause I used Qirex (relatively exclusively) in XL, and was harassing Travis that I could beat his times in general in WO1, and I'd do it with Qirex just to spite.

In WO1, I always used Auricom, so I don't even know how I'd fare with Qirex. It was just a thought :P

RJ O'Connell
3rd July 2008, 04:06 AM
Yikes. Sorry Eric - Travis's description of the scene did evoke some rather negative images in my mind about his Qirex fan buddy. If I can find a gift that's under 50 kb in size, I'm willing to make amends.

Regardless, I think the Qirex could come within a second of Auricom times at Altima VII. If the tracks are any more technical than that, then the gap grows, especially at places like Karbonis and Silverstream where there are no places to really open the taps of the engine.

lunar
3rd July 2008, 09:05 AM
I agree, Rory. The NTSC records for the original disc-based game show which ships are fastest on each track and class in that version. We`re not picking the ships we are picking to race with by accident! From memory, AGS wins everything except Altima, where Auricom rules Rapier and Qirex Venom. Terramax Rapier belongs to Auricom. Korodera Rapier is pretty much a tie between AGS and Auricom and is hard to call with confidence. I can`t recall any others where AGS might not be fastest. Results may vary on PAL and the the PSN versions though, I believe.

Qirex is a fun challenge, but I agree it`s mostly just a challenge and isn`t faster than Auricom, on the original game, in almost all cases. :) I haven`t played the PSN version enough to know the differences there, though. I think the version on my PS3 and PSP is quite different in handling to the disc original so results might differ.

RJ O'Connell
4th July 2008, 12:10 AM
I haven't downloaded the PSN version - can you use the analog nub? If so, I think that's WHY there could be a handling difference.

Nailing down how it varies from the PS1 original, however, I've yet to hear.

lunar
4th July 2008, 12:58 AM
Don`t know if you can use the nub..... I d-padded. I expected it to be ridiculously hard to play on PSP, but it wasn`t too bad at all, and I think this may be because the handling is grippier and sharper in the heavy ships than the disc game. I think Qirex and Auricom are a lot easier to handle on the PSN version I have, not as scary at all. Also I think the walls are kinder, they don`t stop you as much, or so it seemed on my PSP.

JABBERJAW
4th July 2008, 12:32 PM
Very bad design imo. Qirex, is the hardest to handle ship, but it is not as fast, even when raced perfectly in TT. There at least should be a reason to use it other than "I like it"

Medusa
4th July 2008, 02:06 PM
The only chance Qirex has to beat Auricom in WO1 is Altima in a Time Trial. In single race, one weapon hit on a Qirex and you're sunk because it takes an eternity to get back up to full speed.:-

I wouldn't say beating the game with Qirex is just an ego-feeder though. More like the ultimate test of patience as it's like playing a completely different game!
Patience I do not have. Not for Qirex.

Good luck racing Terramax with Qirex! I did try that once.:bomb

RJ O'Connell
4th July 2008, 02:25 PM
It is very trying, but if anyone can win Rapier Class with Qirex, it certainly cause feelings of irrational euphoria. This would then cause said player to walk the streets with confidence, screaming, "I JUST BEAT THE LEAST FORGIVING WIPEOUT GAME WITH A SHIP THAT HANDLES LIKE A BARGE CARRYING MILLIONS OF LEAD WEIGHTS!"

Though, the looks he or she would get from passers-by would not be pleasant. ;)

AG-wolf
4th July 2008, 03:07 PM
Yeah people usually look at me funny ANY time I boast about a Wipeout accomplishment XP

Darkdrium777
5th July 2008, 04:18 AM
Just posting here to say that you cannot use the Analog sticks either on PS3 or PSP for Wipeout 1 from the PSN.
Unless you really customized the controls (ie Change everything, and going back to D-Pad you would have to revert those changes;not an easy switch), but then it would be possible only on PSP I think.

I will do a test (PS3 and PSP) and come back later. ;)

AG-wolf
5th July 2008, 05:04 AM
It still won't be analog control. The game over the PSN is nothing more than an ISO of the original disc, compressed, some eboot code affixed to the head and some DRM slapped on. Nothing has been modified.

Darkdrium777
5th July 2008, 08:10 PM
Just as I thought it is only possible to use the analog stick on PSP, and like AG-Wolf said, it isn't analog control... If you still want to know how to do it, I can tell you but it's not really different than the D-Pad, it behaves exactly the same way.
However the switch from D-Pad to analog is relatively easy once the initial setup is done so you can try it and if you don't like it you can go back to D-Pad in one second :)

XpanDrome2097
3rd March 2011, 02:19 PM
Mmmh, in WO1 I call Qirex as "S****y Ship".
Qirex in WO1 is not the most difficult ship to handle...it's simply ridicolous hard to handle!
The handling really sucks and this makes feel this team as the most useless choice for many tracks at Rapier class, except Altima VII, where it's very challenging.
When am becoming at first place with Qirex (and in Altima VII I can) I feel as a master but when I hit a corner I throw my pad away due to its useless existence...the only positive point is the Hel Solaar ship, I like its green colour.
I LOVE Qirex in 2097 (probably the best design ever for me, personally I really like dark purple), but...damn, I admit that in WO1 it really feels as the most useless team.

noj
5th June 2011, 10:43 PM
I actually find the Qirex alright, Ive always favoured the hevey weight poorer handling crafts, I find the AG and Feisar far to twitchy and after playing te game for many years have never really got into the flow of turning into corners with them(as opose to the wall before the corner.) I do however admit on Rapier the Quirex is impossibly bad at Silverstream and Karbonis.
Could someone post a video of them winning on Silversteam on Rapier with the Qirex, just to prove its possible the best Ive came on it is 5th

JABBERJAW
6th June 2011, 04:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-FJcqRyiZE

here is someone who did it. Pitch back more than this though, it will stop the out of control bouncing (mostly :) )

noj
6th June 2011, 06:14 PM
that guy has crazily good control, end of the first lap and hes in first place... Holy moley!
Edit: in adition although its not directly about the Qirex I found this video of a guy who drives backwards round Silverstream its pretty weird, you have to dodge the speed pads cause in reverse they slow you down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6wiEcYfbSI

Darloryan94
9th June 2011, 01:05 PM
The Qirex ship is fun to use... but it's pointless... in every way :|
Try using it on Silverstream/Korodera and you'll see my point. the extra speed isn't needed due to the lack of a straight part of track.
the Qirex ship in 2097 is good fun, AND actually is useful for quicker lap/race times. :)

lunar
10th June 2011, 01:24 PM
Qirex is a lot of fun; I think the main problem with it is not always the huge turning circle which can be adjusted to if you start turning by mail-order a long time before the corner arrives. It's the bouncing you get with the ship that can really kill your speed.

Qirex on Korodera is possibly the most fun you can have on Wipeout 1, I think. I always felt Qirex could do some major time-damage on that track if you could keep it flying smooth enough. :)

Medusa
10th June 2011, 04:04 PM
Qirex ... turning by mail-order

:lol That should have been a billboard!

billychanxtr33m
14th June 2011, 12:50 AM
the only real reason to play qirex is arian tetsuos sweet orange ship

Eden Priest
14th June 2011, 01:28 AM
the few places i know qirex deos well is Wipeout 64 in wich it speeds past any other ship though it has to turn using the airbrake exclusively.

JABBERJAW
14th June 2011, 12:24 PM
yeah, qirex is better than the other ships on some of the wipeout 64 tracks, velocitar,klies, and qoron IV. Ag on Machaon and terafumos, auricom on sokana and I believe dyroness, pretty balanced actually, even more than XL

DJ Techno
26th June 2011, 05:50 PM
you wanna say that again...

cause come next month, if things are right..

do that head to head again with auricom and quirex

and this time again replay the video tape.

And it might be on the 64, but in ps too.

JABBERJAW
26th June 2011, 08:34 PM
I won't be using qirex on any track in the tourney. Qirex won velocitar a couple years ago if you remember, but wasn't used on the other tracks