PDA

View Full Version : Zen Speed Class

JABBERJAW
27th March 2008, 01:55 PM
This would be an awesome addition to the wipeout series, barring slowing down phantom to make zen the top speed. The speed classes I would like to see in Wipeout Hd would be

1)vector
2)venom
3)rapier
4)phantom
5)Zen

Never liked the flash name, and didn't really know why vector wasn't just sped up. Maybe I wouldn't have minded flash, if it was the top speed, since flash is known for speed, but as is, don't really like it. Or, more accurately, I like the Vector name better.
What speed classes would you like to see in wipeout HD, and any additional comments

Sausehuhn
27th March 2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah. The originals you mentioned. Mabye a 5th class, faster than Pulse's Phantom, too.
It took me very long to control Pulse's Phantom and I'm still struggeling at some tracks, but yeah, sometimes I wouldn't mind something faster.

Not sure if "Zen" should be the name for that class, but it's miles ahead over "Flash" which sounds just like a cheap rip-off to me.

Rapier Racer
27th March 2008, 03:49 PM
Agreed I dislike Flash also it doesn't fit and sounds like cheapy rubbish, not good ditching vector so that could stay in the game. :-:-:-

As for Zen being a class above Phantom, that would be outrageous considering Pulse Phantom is pretty swift. Be interesting to see how many pilots would actually use it, also I feel it might be a little impossible on some tracks.

Vector
Venom
Rapier
Phantom
Zen

Medusa
27th March 2008, 03:56 PM
Don't think I could ever like having another speed above Phantom. "Phantom" seems to imply it must be the fastest. So fast you can barely see it, like a phantom. I agree they could either make it faster or make the tracks harder, like they were in Wip3out and previous.

And yes, vector should be back and flash out to the dustbin.:turd

I think they could just bump the speed up a bit in each class. "Venom" in Pulse feels like vector to me anyways. So Pulse's venom = Vector, flash = Venom, rapier = Rapier, duh! but a tad faster, and phantom = Phantom, but faster.

There isn't the "oh-my-goodness-I-can't-handle-this" shock when you go up a speed class in Pulse. At least it didn't seem like it to me. The other wipeouts had this and it made the speed classes feel necessary.

There should be a bigger gap in speed between the classes IMO.

TearsToShreds
27th March 2008, 03:57 PM
Zen is the perfect name for W'O's fastest class, methinks, since it's very meditative racing at that speed. You almost stop thinking consciously, focussing only on what is actually happening at the current moment. Which roughly describes the state of mind one likes to accomplish with Zen Buddhism. Among many other things. :)

Rapier Racer
27th March 2008, 04:10 PM
I know one thing, the weapons would need to move a little faster you know? I don't like how they move so slowly in Pulse compared to Pure, why was that necessary? It's bad enough the plasma often just explodes into the track half the time go back to Pures way please.

JABBERJAW
27th March 2008, 05:00 PM
rapier wrote, "As for Zen being a class above Phantom, that would be outrageous considering Pulse Phantom is pretty swift"

Although not even close to as fast as zone gets going while still being controllable, and not as fast as zone's fastest speed on fusion(though nothing else is either). I'm not saying it should be as fast as that, just somewhere in between, maybe 20% more :)

mdhay
27th March 2008, 05:22 PM
Don't think I could ever like having another speed above Phantom. "Phantom" seems to imply it must be the fastest. So fast you can barely see it, like a phantom.

Wouldn't Vector be un - seeable given that it may seem slow at 400+ Km/h, but actually isn't?

Rapier Racer
27th March 2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah I guess 20% more sounds good, course I'm thinking that all ships would have to be realistically usable in this class, Triakis and Piranha might become overly difficult to use.

Lance
27th March 2008, 05:48 PM
It's the challenge of coping with the seemlingly impossible that Al relishes. :)

Skvall
27th March 2008, 10:12 PM
Definitely agree with dumping Flash. Actually I dont think the speedclasses is something that needs to be changed (from the previous games).

Vector
Venom
Rapier
Phantom

..is all that is needed. But I sure like the Zen name, so maybe put one more above phantom just because of the name. ;) Otherwise, just having it in zonemode works.

The important thing is to have a big step between the classes, like someone already said. When you change class it should feel almost uncontrollable at first.

blixabargeld
28th March 2008, 04:49 PM
Zen is the perfect name for W'O's fastest class, methinks, since it's very meditative racing at that speed. You almost stop thinking consciously, focussing only on what is actually happening at the current moment. Which roughly describes the state of mind one likes to accomplish with Zen Buddhism. Among many other things. :)

But it would be impossible to have a quick play on the bus, for example..:dizzy As for phantom class in pulse, I sometimes noticed that some tracks doesn't looks like something built with that speed in mind.. Outpost 7 seem not to be created with phantom class-speed in mind, maybe just kandang and asayyeah are able to going trough it easily that fast..
anyway, phantom is enough, imho, and I don't dislike "flash" name too much.

Linchpin
28th March 2008, 05:17 PM

Hahaha or have you thought about it in terms of relativity , relative to how fast you're going maybe you're going so fast everything in the world around you feels slowmo , or after playing in zen mode for too long things in the real world feel uber slow and thus gives you a feeling of relaxation..ala zen :g:g

blixabargeld
28th March 2008, 05:26 PM
or maybe you just become schizoid.. :g

Mano
5th April 2008, 04:04 AM
one question, did i came up with this zen name or was it decided before i posted this:

In TT forget about agressiveness and become a mm precision machine (Zen of racing), on SR and Multiplayer you will need to master both and a lot of trickery.

:g

probably was there before i mentioned it but really, i didnt knew of it since i have been away from the forums from a long time ago, nice coincidence.

*edit: just found out pulse already has a zen stage in zone mode... :P ... man i am officially a wipeout newbie.

MaxxMedievil
6th April 2008, 01:01 PM
Control in phantom is the price that we have when we make perfect laps, a reward for that perfect laps, should be a Zen class, more faster, for those that think phantom is slow.

Go ahead, i should try to achieve that reward.

Fascia
6th April 2008, 05:58 PM
Well, my idea would be this, design the game with phantom, rapier, flash/venom vector/venom whatever, test it, make sure it's bug free, and once you're done with all that, tack 'Zen' on the end, make it a good deal faster than phantom. Not as a proper part of the game, but as a gift to us, make it hard to unlock, we'll love you for it SL.

Egg
7th April 2008, 09:27 AM
... yeah, and I'm sure QA and localisation would love us for it, too. 'Cos they just adore last-minute features ;)

omega329
7th April 2008, 04:50 PM
*Idea* when you get a perfect lap in zen, the hud message thingy should say "Holy S***! how good ARE you?" or a message from the programmer I think it would be good for the SL team to be able to stick in an easter egg or two...

Rapier Racer
7th April 2008, 04:58 PM
Thats an interesting idea, but then I'd have a load of text constantly filling up my screen and thats not good at Phantom as it is :g

eLhabib
7th April 2008, 05:07 PM
... yeah, and I'm sure QA and localisation would love us for it, too. 'Cos they just adore last-minute features ;)
Did you see how he said 'last-minute features'? Does that mean we get HD sooner than we thought? :D

Oh by the way, Egg, can you at least ease our minds and tell us the HUD is being re-worked? puh-leeeease

omega329
7th April 2008, 05:23 PM
"yaay I PL'd zen!"

*congratulations player, you officially have no life. Now go outside and get one*

meanwhile outside...

"drunk fox to base, drunk fox to base... the egg has broken... repeat... the egg has broken"
"roger, initiate mission Asseyeah..."

*PS3 self destructs*

:eek

--10 mins of shock later --

"hello? sony computer enertainment europe? I am making a complaint regarding wipeout HD!"

"yes, I did read the terms and conditions!"

"well fine then! I will get a life! Just as soon as you've replaced my PS3 and given me a free beta copy of wipeout 4!"
---------------------
anyway, enough straying offtopic, If Zen was to become the new highest class, there should be one hell of a unlock movie.

EDIT: oops... thread killer...

Yagya
30th July 2008, 08:20 AM
wait. am i the only one that missed the memo? last time i checked the youtube vids... Zen is in Pulse. forgot who, but they were doing zone mode and after super-phantom was Zen. it's already in Wipeout.

taqili
30th July 2008, 10:06 AM
um, he means in the actual game. out of zone.

Yagya
30th July 2008, 10:09 AM
yeah i know he meant out of zone. i should've clarified where i was directing that. it was towards everyone saying "that's a good name for it" and such