PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever played Freespace?

omega329
1st March 2008, 09:03 PM
OUTLINE:
Freespace 2 was made in 1999 by volition for interplay, in 2001 the source code was released along with the mission editor. Following this, the Freespace source code project was born(the freespace SCP). Over the last 7 years, developers have given up there own time to produce a game with graphics to rival 360s and ps3s, over 50 additional campaigns have been released, ranging from total conversions of other universes (wing commander, star wars, star trek, halo) to additional missions with plots that are emotional, disturbing and awe insipring. Although only originally avaliable for windows, the SCP has built executables for Linux and mac.
the installer can be found here:
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.zip
Warning! Freespace can take up to 4 gig of your hard drive up so make sure you have plenty of space! Extra downloads including the advanced graphics (360 quality) can be found on www.hard-light.net
---------------------------------------
Anyway, I've just been playing for 4 hours and I'm shattered, the force feedback on my joystick has turned my wrist to pulp but it was worth it, I'm more addicted to this than wipeout!

DjManiac21
3rd March 2008, 12:03 PM
More addictive than Wipeout? That doesn't compute... :robot

I'll have to take a look at this then, thanks for the info!

jospicy
3rd March 2008, 04:40 PM
i have never actually played with freespace, however i have played Beyond the Red Line (http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/) which is based around the same engine

omega329
3rd March 2008, 05:34 PM
If your into games that ACTUALLY have a plot;), then this is probably more addictive, Its possible to play with keyboard and mouse, but I think it is a lot better with a joystick, mine's over 7 years old and still serves me well, although the rubber skirt has a bit missing:frown:

solidsnake
13th March 2008, 04:41 PM
i do have this game but i lost interest after 2 weeks. i wouldn't go to as far as saying its more addictive as wipeout, i mean i still play wip3out and thats like 9yrs old so. and that game IS addictive. trying t do manor top on rapier (shivers)

Spaceboy Gajo
27th March 2008, 05:58 AM
I'm one of those who played both games. Loved Freepace 2 for it's story. Even played my buddy auslander online back on my 56K using voice-chat and putting X-wing pilots as our avatars :D

I'd love to see a Freespace and hopefully one day when the space flight sime comes back. Should be soon now since Interplay have updated their site (http://kotaku.com/366680/interplay-readies-sexy-new-website) :D Seriously, it's great they released such a great game open to the public and that it still lives on with the Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica fan games.

Which I hope to one day run when getting around buying a new computer to play games on. As I mentioned in the AudioSurf thread LOL

omega329
30th March 2008, 04:30 PM
Playing the transcend campaign at the moment. It's scaring the s**t out of me!

Axel
7th April 2008, 11:28 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!! I love this game as well. Freespace 1 and 2 was VERY addictive. I must have finished the campaigns around 40 times for each game. This is no exaggeration. But the BSG mod is very well done, and the WC saga mod too.

I am patiently waiting for them to be complete.

omega329
8th April 2008, 09:10 PM
Good to see another fan

Spaceboy Gajo
23rd April 2008, 05:00 PM
A buddy of mine saw this article (http://www.popsci.com/you-built-what/article/2008-03/better-way-play-battlestar-galactica) in a previous issue of Popular Science magazine.

Now the question is which one of us will build a cockpit for Wipeout? ;) :D

mdhay
24th April 2008, 03:00 PM
Would I be right in saying that FreeSpace is similar to Colony Wars: Red Sun?

omega329
24th April 2008, 04:14 PM
In essence yes, but Colony Wars: Red Sun is nothing compared to Freespace

How to imagine freespace:
Start with Colony Wars: Red Sun.
Now:
Scale the ships up by about 10x, stick loads of other sized ships in, add LOADS of fighters, an awesome wingman command system, subsystem damaging (engines, navigation ect.), turrets on EVERYTHING (even player flown bombers), flack cannons, beam turrets, shooting down bombs after they've been deployed, pirates, subspace battles, countermeasures, evil shivans, fish loving vasudans, an awesome plot, active community, regular updates, bring the graphics to modern day standards and bung in one of the most complicated and mad keyboard control layouts ever and you're about halfway there.

I'm being serious about the keyboard, it uses the 6 keys to the right of backspace for energy distribution between sheilds, weapons and engines. And don't even get me started on the [];'#/, keys!. There's even a key (ALT+M I think...) that toggles the target display in the bottom left corner between wireframe and textured.

mdhay
24th April 2008, 04:53 PM
So basically it's what CW would be if it was on PS3?

omega329
24th April 2008, 05:30 PM
Better to think of it as an open source CW on the computer made in 2007 (but cooler and longer lasting)
There's a zip of some screenshots if you're wondering what it looks like.
go on, get it, you know you want it...
It's free what could go wrong?

mdhay
24th April 2008, 05:55 PM
I do, but my dad would go mental and my computer has no net connection - my ps3 does.

omega329
24th April 2008, 06:44 PM
Well, freespace runs on linux... ;)

mdhay
24th April 2008, 07:14 PM
I don't have Linux.

omega329
24th April 2008, 07:25 PM
PS3's run linux...

mdhay
24th April 2008, 07:31 PM
Trust me, I may be desperate for a killer app between Haze and MGS4, but I'm not suicidal.

omega329
24th April 2008, 07:53 PM
true, I don't even know if it works
EDIT: someone WAS making a PSP port (gods know how they did it) and apparently suceeded(ish) http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,38342.0.html

mdhay
28th April 2008, 08:08 PM
Running Linux on PS3 is definately possible.

As for someone porting F.S to psp... :o

omega329
28th April 2008, 08:33 PM
I know! I mean the binary itself without ANY textures is a whopping 3.41MB!