PDA

View Full Version : Converter needed for NA PSP in Europe?

Frances_Penfold
17th February 2008, 04:29 PM
I know quite a few Europeans on the WOZ have imported PSPs from Japan or North America to play the Wipeout games-- especially Pure, which released much earlier in non-PAL territories.

I am planning a trip to Europe later this year, and am wondering if I need a "converter" (which actually changes the voltage/amperage to North American standards) or an "adaptor" (which just changes the plug size to fit into European electrical outlets) to safely charge my PSP in Europe.

I gather that many modern pieces of electronics have built in converters in the charging apparatus or the device itself, meaning that you only need an adaptor to charge the device outside of the home territory. But I don't want to fry my precious PSP and wanted to ask folks that really knew about this!

Here's a related question-- does anybody know if the cigarette lighters in European cars work the same as in North American cars? I am wondering if I can use my North American car charger for my PSP while in Europe.

And one final, unrelated question-- how difficult is it to find ice in western France and northern Spain? In North America, you can find ice in just about any grocery store or gas station but I understand ice is not so commonly sold in Europe. Any sense for this? I am trying to decide whether to buy a electrically chilled cooler to store food-- or just to rely on a normal cooler with regular ice replacement.

Thanks in advance for any comments on these questions! :)

Mobius
17th February 2008, 06:23 PM
Ive taken my PSP all over North America and it charges fine. The rather bulky block on the charger cable is a step down transformer to the Voltage the PSP works at. Its similar to a laptop charger, as in aslong as theres and adaptor to fit the socket it will work anywhere, the only exception ive seen the this is the Nintendo DS.

If you still in doubt, on the bottom of the charger block is the range of voltages it should work at. If says up to 230V it'll work in mainland Europe. if it says up to 240V it will work in the UK too.

But generally, it should be fine. :)

Frances_Penfold
20th February 2008, 04:30 AM
Thanks, Mobius-- like you suggested, the PSP charger brick does say that it supports up to 240 :)

Excellent news.

Any guesses about the cigarette lighters in European cars-- and whether they allow use of North American car chargers?