PDA

View Full Version : Favourite input method and point of view?

Roger
3rd July 2002, 07:16 PM
Being rather new to the Wip3out scene (i bought my PS One yesterday, but I've been AG-racing on borrowed hardware for some time), I've got some questions to all hardened wipers out there:

What's your preferred input method - the digital pad or the analog stick? I've never really used the pad, since I find the analog stick to be more "realistic" and hence more "fair".

On the other hand, when it comes to point of view, I prefer the external view to the view from inside the cockpit. Everything rushes past too darn fast when viewed from inside. Whot's everybody else's view on this one?

:-?
Roger

Sven
3rd July 2002, 08:12 PM
I go analog/external as well, but it's sometimes fun to do a race in the cockpit veiw.

infoxicated
3rd July 2002, 10:51 PM
Analogue and Extarnal - same as you Roger :)

FoxZero
4th July 2002, 01:02 AM
digital pad and internal viewpoint. precision handling and a direct, clear view of the track and any obstacles in between. i was once a hardcore advocate of the external view, but once i had tried the internal view there was no looking back. ive never used anything but the digital pad, however.

Lance
4th July 2002, 02:24 AM
D-pad, nosecam

hi roger, welcome to the board. i've not visited the pilot's lounge yet to see if you posted there, but i can say hi from anywhere. :D

___lance

Myke_AG_Sys™
4th July 2002, 05:11 PM
d-pad, nosecam here aswell. exactly the same reason as lance. you get a great sense of speed from the nosecam.

Myke_AG_Sys™
4th July 2002, 05:37 PM
i meant fox not lance. D'UH™

infoxicated
4th July 2002, 06:41 PM
lol! :D

Lance
4th July 2002, 11:50 PM
:D
he's allowed. cos i said those same things elsewhere in the forums.

just not here ;)

Task
5th July 2002, 04:14 PM
In general, digital control and internal view.
Fusion suxxors with internal view, (light up a Plasma Bolt and go blind, that makes so much sense) so I've switched to "pilot" external view for that. I could never handle the analog stick, but all other analog input methods give better control. Any time weapons are irrelevant, I switch to my neGcon.

Vasudeva
6th July 2002, 08:56 AM
D-pad and external view. I have to move my head too much in the other views, and I think the cockpit view in W3/SE is a little fake.

Peace,
V.

Eins2001
10th July 2002, 06:40 AM
Stick and cockpit. Makes it all realistic-like.

TYSON
18th July 2002, 01:07 AM
Yeah I always use the External and the D pad (digital). Like an obsessed reviewer in an Australian magazine also found, I don't believe the Analogue is up to scratch (although fun). It just doesn't give me the split second 'left to right' action that I need to get around corners.

Why External? Well, I see it this way. The cockpit view is regarded, as a 'First Person View’, which I believe, is in fact not realistic when compared to real life. The reason for that is, in real life we are blessed with 'peripheral vision’ which is better represented in the third person view (external). This is more ‘realistic’ in the visual sense (Full 180 degree view) and is the main reason for people choosing the view. (it seems natural to them). The first person view mentioned is like one of those horses that pull the cart etc, you know the ones that have those funny shield things on their eyes to prevent distraction from the sides.

Hope this helps.

Tyson

Re-Cyph
22nd August 2002, 08:50 PM
D-Pad External! Seems like the speeds are much faster! :evil:

watman
8th January 2003, 01:21 PM
D-pad and external. I just can't get the same precise control using the analog stick, and everything rushes by too fast in the internal view and therefore I never react quickly enough.

HentaiBoy
8th January 2003, 04:03 PM
Definately I like to use the analog stick because of those long smooth turns and the feel of pulling back on it at p-mar (oh yeah!!)

External view cause the cockpit makes me dizzy when I can't fight the g's like IRL

yuusen
22nd January 2004, 03:36 PM
_
nosecam + neGcon + bigTV + soundsystem + nachos + infinite spare time = heaven
_
¥

Roger
22nd January 2004, 04:05 PM
Well, well, yuuusen - thanks for waking this topic from its hibernation! :P

One year and two weeks between posts - is that some kind of record?

Anyway, since we're here: has anyone changed their setup since their last post? I know I haven't - I still swear by external view/analog stick (got a new controller recently, the stick is even "softer" than the Sony original. Smooth!)

infoxicated
22nd January 2004, 04:53 PM
I might be switching to NegCon soon, so I'll need to get back to you on that one :D

Hybrid Divide
22nd January 2004, 04:58 PM
D-Pad and External.

I used to be a huge advicate of the internal view. Thinking the externam view was for wussies. :P But as I started playing more and more, I found I raced better in external view.

As far as the analog stick goes, once I used analog on wo64, I could never use it on a Playstation. The N64 stick just feels better. It'd be nice if I could control all other WipEout games with a gamecube controller. Those analog shoulder buttons would be great for airbrakes! :D

I still need to get better with my neGcon. :lol:

Lance
22nd January 2004, 05:48 PM
i still use D-Pad and nose-cam. i'd like to be able to try a Dreamcast controller, though. the analogue controls on it are excellent. the Sony-style dual-shock analogue sticks are too long and don't have a stiff enough return spring. does anyone make a d-shock imitation that dOes have short sticks and stronger springs?

science
23rd January 2004, 09:37 PM
(I know I've posted this somewhere before)
Internal view, music down if not off, body totally symetrical and in line with the screen, sitting dangerously close to the television, black negcon in hand and something nearby to bite down on to contain the rage that is running into a wall on the fifth lap and watching my ghost scream by me; the shattering of a record-breaking run.

Wiseman
24th January 2004, 06:50 AM
Digital, external view, music pumped up to the max.

lunar
24th January 2004, 11:34 PM
for zone: external view, music off. you have to be practical with that.

for everything else: internal view, widescreen tv, 3cd compilation in the hifi playing back the tunes from 2097, 3 and Fusion. And as of 4 weeks ago, the negcon..... I wouldn`t play 2097 without it.

Joel - I know I should sit symetrically like you do, but I can`t be bothered to move the sofa. Unfortunately the lady of the house insists on arranging the furniture along aesthetic lines, rather than on the basis of improving my wipeout performance.

JABBERJAW
24th January 2004, 11:41 PM
right on. I think I hit more on the 5th lap than complete it, unless somehow I don't look at the times I was getting on the previous laps. It's harder to break someone else's record than to break your own though, more pressure I think.

Ally
15th February 2004, 11:43 AM
I have my own style that Fusion kinda destroyed for me...

I have internal view and analogue control, but I change the left and right air brakes to the square and circle buttons. It's difficult to brake in a straight line (but how often... really), but my braking response time is greatly improved. The fire/dump controls go onto the R2/L2 buttons respectively.

-Ally

Evolver
15th February 2004, 12:02 PM
neGcon and internal view except in Wipeout3 when I use cockpit view on a few ships. The earlier post about how certian weapons cover up your viewpoint in Fusion when in internal perspective brings to light something that I think adds to the realisim of the game. (I'm sure that's just me though) Using a neGcon in internal view actually makes the games extremely relaxing.

zargz
15th February 2004, 01:38 PM
d-pad, Xternal, music off 8)

Shem
15th February 2004, 02:27 PM
Same here Zargz (but only to break records)

science
17th February 2004, 03:24 PM
It depends on how close to that person's time you are, too. If I'm really close to someone's time and I know that all I have to do is beat my ghost, all I concentrate on is keeping that damned ghost behind me.
That's one of the strangest things about racing timetrial if you stop to think about it. If you're racing your own ghost, you can turn into your own worst enemy. I can't tell you how many times I've screamed and cursed at that ghost ship before realizing, "wait a sec, that's me!"
This wierdness is somewhat eliminated if you have a dexdrive....which i will be posting more auctions for soon, and you_will_buy!!!

Lance
17th February 2004, 03:38 PM
the worst thing is when my own damned ghost is just in front of me obscuring my view of the trickiest bit on the course!

Shem
17th February 2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that's the reason why I hate ghost. Just cannot concentrate on your flight.
All I think of, is "Where this damn ghost is?", "Am I gonna be as good as I was before?".
That's why i restart each race just before i cross the finish line (when I know, I'm not going to be good enough). Just don't wanna feel the pressure of being chased down by my own ghost.
IMHO, the ghost mode is one of the ideas, which should be optional.

Lance
17th February 2004, 06:38 PM
it's just that one aspect of the ghost that annoys me; ordinarily, it's the best realtime competition you can have in these games. it annoys me not just because it can obscure the view, but that it's blocking my view because i'm not piloting well. i feel like i should always be able to beat my previous best time, even though i know this is not true. last sunday was a bad day for beating my personal bests since i was sickish and feeling totally tired out. but there are other reasons for not being at your best. other people pets noises hunger. yep, hunger is a big one. i find it hard to concentrate when hungry. just one more race and then i'll cook something. juuuuust one more. then pancakes. juuuuuuuuuuuuuust one more little race....

Asayyeah
17th February 2004, 10:35 PM
Neg-con ( my fourth during 8 years ) , always internal view, music of the game off, put my own techno on, full adrenaline feelin'.

lunar
19th February 2004, 02:57 AM
With the ghost infront of me I often copy its moves, so I turn too early and hit the wall. Or I try very hard not to copy it, turn too late and hit the other wall. Sad really.

Assayeah: do you use internal view for zone mode? If you do you are truly amazing/crazy :wink:. I had to go external to get to zone 60.

science
19th February 2004, 04:43 AM
[quote="lunar"]With the ghost infront of me I often copy its moves, so I turn too early and hit the wall. Or I try very hard not to copy it, turn too late and hit the other wall. Sad really. quote]

Not always, copying your ghost can be great practice. It lets you see what you're doing right, and what you may have done wrong. It can be good for you!

Asayyeah
20th February 2004, 12:46 AM
Assayeah: do you use internal view for zone mode? If you do you are truly amazing/crazy :wink:. I had to go external to get to zone 60.

You can truely trust me, i always use internal view for all the series without any exception. With Neg + internal view the best immersive result you can have.
With practising a lot, even in zone mode at 60, your eyes will become acclimatized with high speed, i remember how i was crying with the demo of florion height limited to only zone 30. :o

At this time, Lunar, i ve almost finished to update my times on W3O pal tables.
One month ago , due to what happended on this forum, with a big misunderstanding ( misbelieve....) about me and my 2097 time and technique....(Thanks for the support at this time it's good to have smone who didn't judge anyone before he can explain :wink: ) Now it's ok, Al told me he's done a 14.8sec on Talon's reach XL .....
I've found a techniques who nobody's found before . Al with his new high score on XL proves that it works well for acheiving such brilliant time like this. And it's not cheating, going through walls or smthing like this... it's just a technique ( tapping airbrakes on blue pads)who even works on W3O , it seems to me. But i have just started W3O 20 days ago, maybe i am wrong...
So that's the reason why i began W3O recently, willing to compare me to the others good pilots. I ve seen The 1st place of Master Al on the whole W3O pal tables, i've also looking Tom Brougham, Dominic Norris and David Pegg other very good pilot, who i don't know the nickname forum.
For now i am mostly on top 5 in SR and TT tables, so not a bad result for a quite newbee on W3O, i've also shoot Al from his 1st place :oops: but not really on many races and lap ( i think it's only 10), i know he told me in a mail that its times on pal are nothing to compare with its W3O Ntsc times, so he could do better on pal...
:roll: i slight AL :roll: i don't know how many days Sir Al will let me have this quick honnor on W3O :D

I agree with Science concerning ghost, That's why i'd rather prefer playing TT than Single race.

Lance
20th February 2004, 01:01 AM
since starting on WO2, i've come to prefer Time Trial instead of SR, and that preference is carrying over to WO3 as well

JABBERJAW
20th February 2004, 01:13 AM
assayeah, I think your best time so far is hi fumii phantom class with icarus. You are now forcing me to use the icarus for some of the tracks I originally thought(3 years ago) were best with assegai. So the brake tapping technique does work with wipeout 3? I haven't tried it yet. Oh, I got the 14.8 on 2097, only a 15.0 on xl.

Asayyeah
20th February 2004, 01:33 AM
For that tapping technique not really sure , but it appears to me on Terminal at the beginning of the race, with the blue pads on the spiral, that speed increases a bit with it instead of without. But i am not exactly sure and it's a bit different from 2097.

2097 is still floatier than XL ( mine 14.7 on 2097versus yours 15.0 on XL but not many for a long time....) but for how long time ?

When will you update your 2097 times on tables?

I just editing this post after saying Goodbye to my previous highscores on W3O, :lol:
Just see Al new results on Pal tables : Great Al not too long for you to re-take that!! :wink:
I hope to give you a prompt answer to your crazy times ( :o before august 2097 :o )

zargz
20th February 2004, 09:40 PM
the worst thing is when my own damned ghost is just in front of me obscuring my view of the trickiest bit on the course!
. i dont find the ghost anoying but i agree it shud b optoinal on a future wo .. the 1 we were talkin about b4! (^____^)

JABBERJAW
20th February 2004, 09:57 PM
an optional ghost turnoff would be great. It is just distracting. You could save a ghost time without the turbo start, then race well from there and you would never see the ghost. Just thought of that actually.
I really don't have any 2097 times to post. I haven't played alot this week(read:no 2097 because I was getting my wipeout3 records back that you stole :lol: ). I should be able to play some next week, but don't expect any records.for 2097. I'm looking foward to your terminal times. I'm sure I'll have to go back to use icarus for those as well.

science
21st February 2004, 05:05 AM
I'm sorry to do this, but someone please link me to the thread talking about this new technique for XL. It's lost in the aether to me.

Asayyeah
21st February 2004, 12:50 PM
but someone please link me to the thread talking about this new technique for XL.
If you are courageous you can read all about my technique in this topic :
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1201
It's detailled by me, Al and Task.

science
21st February 2004, 11:16 PM
fanksya.

vh5150
12th April 2004, 04:48 PM
Negcon for PS versions and always analog stick for WO64. Always in cockpit view.