PDA

View Full Version : a new neGcon, options we have, ideas for the future

BulletWraith
1st January 2008, 05:05 PM
seems we all want namco to give us a new neGcon, I've been thinking about it and drawing new designs for ages so I thought I'd just share with you what I've done recently(like in the last day or so)
I've also found all I could on what options we have on the PS3 since namco hasn't released a racing controller for it yet

firstly(kindof embarrassingly)
here's what I just sketched with the model I made yesterday(early stages)

and here it is in motion
VerAcon in motion (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=ddMet8mPmIo)
I just named it the 'VerAcon' because I couldn't think of anything better at 5am(oh cr**! I think I just ripped off Viacoms logo) later I will go on as to why I designed it this way, but first a couple images
the first is what options we have now on the PS3, they are the only things I could find on the net, my lil country doesn't sell any of them :( (the PS1 options are there for sentimental purposes)

they look pretty good, well not so sure on the proRacer, but I'd love to try the other two Designs, also I'll mention that the 'Run'n Drive' is used by turning the wheel around the D-Pad to Steer with a finger or thumb, it has an Optical Sensor so it's highly Accurate and their is a wireless model too

oh and here's the love child of a neGcon and a DualShock3 I 'paint'ed

anyywayy
the Design I thunk of
I figured that the controller should keep all the features of the DualShock3 as buying a new controller is expensive for many people as they may be put off by something that can only be used with racing games

I also thought the design should look a bit more natural/friendly to the average gamer than the neGcon did, so yeh I tried to make it pretty standard looking

It's Comfy, seriously, it feels pretty good, plus I'd imagine accurate too, though that's probably just down to construction/optical sensor

Sixaxis: mm yes that sixaxis sensor, I only thought about it after I made the model and found that yeh if the sensor was put in the central part it would work okay as it's easy to get the centre balanced while you twist the handles

I wanted me some jogcOn force feedback as an option, I played so much darn Ridge Racer V with that thing but could never really enjoy it, but I think the feed back would definitely work in a neGcon or something similar so I sketched a motor in an appropriate place

well that's it I think, well almost
I was thinking about the analogue face buttons on the neGcon (I&II) and was wondering if they would be better on a slant like the accelerator peddle in a car

that's it, overly huge piece of my mind prettymuch over
just wondering what other people have thought of over the years for a replacement, images would be great, ideas of what I can change would be cool too, all I can think of now is buying the Run'n Gun and somehow cramming it's optical sensor into a white Neggie, I think it's the easiest option out their for WOHD neGcon like action

good day
-zer0shen

Mark Of Insanity
1st January 2008, 05:52 PM
Those are cool zer0shen! You have come up with some great ideas.

I remember coming up with a sketch for a PSP/Neggie Hybrid... pretty much a PSP, but at the side there were Dualshock styled handles that could be rotated in a NegCon like fashion...basically.

You know what, I've often reckoned that someone with DIY skills could create a modern Neggie using components that already exist.
If you were to take apart one of the new Sixaxis Dualshocks, remove the handles, reroute the analog/sixaxis controls to the NegCon ones and then put it together again, there would now be a new styled Neggie! However, there are potential problems if it turns out that Sixaxis is incompatible with the Analog controls... then it would probably be impossible to replace Sixaxis with NegCon features. Because the NegCon was third-party created, and because of how the controllers work, the output signals from the NegCon controls would ultimately have to mimic analog signals. They would have to be the same kind. So theoretically it's possible for NegCon output signals to be of the same type as analog... whereas I believe Sixaxis may not be.

Although, I don't know squat about these controllers. I could be going on about non-existant problems. However, I do certainly believe that we, as a forum, could at least come up with blueprints for a next-gen Neggie.

But I think we need some schematics/blueprints for the Sixaxis Dualshock, Original Dualshock, and of course, the endeared Namco NegCon.

infoxicated
1st January 2008, 11:02 PM
zer0shen is currently serving a 48hr ban for breaking the image size rules.