PDA

View Full Version : PSP is giving me electric shocks!

rageagainstgeorge
31st December 2007, 07:27 PM
No, i'm not going mad!

My PSP keeps giving me electric shocks. When it is plugged in, if I touch the little screw on the bottom of console i get a small (but painful) shock. If you touch it with the palm of your hand you can feel it much better (the shock, that is ;))

Picture of screw is here:

http://www.pspworld.com/images/playgear-visor-bottom-550.jpg

It's that little screw in the middle.

Does anyone else's do this?

mdhay
31st December 2007, 07:31 PM
Nope, get the straitjacket!

Only joking! No, mine doesn't. It might be loose.

swift killer
31st December 2007, 07:39 PM
Maybe it's because you wear nylon alot?

*goes and tries touching the screw*

Lance
31st December 2007, 07:43 PM
Straitjacket, not straightjacket. Strait means narrow or constricting. Straight means uncurved.

Sorry about the ex-English major jumping in there, but sometimes it's difficult to keep him quiet.

rageagainstgeorge
31st December 2007, 07:47 PM
I've tightened it. It gives bigger shocks now! I doesn't interfere when playing but it is very annoying if just happen to touch that one sodding screw.

q_dmc12
31st December 2007, 08:36 PM
how do you manage to touch it anyway, my fingers never go there (...something about that sentence seems very wrong:?)

Chrono
31st December 2007, 09:30 PM
That sounds bad, if it starts smoking, it's time to put the wipeout down for a day or two

Task
31st December 2007, 10:11 PM
That is seriously bad news. You've got an electrical short inside your PSP somewhere. It's obviously not critical, since the PSP still works, but I'd bet cash money that it won't keep working for long in that condition. Take the screw out for now (with the power fully OFF!) and get it serviced ASAP.

That's an electronic device, you don't want it to have electrical issues.

supersocks
1st January 2008, 01:11 PM
Mine gave me a shock on that exact same position yesterday :eek

Conspiracy...

swift killer
1st January 2008, 01:30 PM
It's masochistically fun getting shock by that damn screw!!! ... or maybe i've been watching too much Dirty Sanchez.

Why dont you cover the screw with some sticky tape? Preferably masking tape as electricity can't pass through it.

G'Kyl
1st January 2008, 03:25 PM
I think Task's solution is the safest way to avoid both the shocks and hardware problems. rage: What's the name of that protective screen you've got there?

phl0w
1st January 2008, 03:44 PM
Logitech PlayGear Visor.

DjManiac21
1st January 2008, 03:50 PM
That happens to me as well! Not with the screw though but on the usb port when charging, at least yesterday it gave me a couple of good jolts :P

rageagainstgeorge
1st January 2008, 10:04 PM
That picture is not of my psp btw. Just one i found on the web. I get shocks from the usb port too.

Now i know i'm not the only one getting them, this must be a design flaw.

Pretty bad one aswell.

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 01:16 AM
Does a sufficient amount of electricity actually go to those locations?

Stardragon88
15th January 2008, 06:45 AM
Whoa, I've never really noticed that screw before, but now I've the uncontrollable urge to touch it just to see.

Urgh.. must.. resist..

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 09:48 AM
If it does give you electric shocks you should get it serviced, or trade it and a bunch of other games and get a PSP Slim and Light :D

Or you can replace the screw with a plastic one the same size.