PDA

View Full Version : Where others have failed...WipEout reigns supreme...

cybrpnk
29th December 2007, 11:00 AM
Here's a little fun exercise...(might also be a good 'marketing research' exercise and resrouce for Studio Liverpool...

1. Name a few, or all the futuristic combat racers that you have ever played...

2. In one word, two words...or just a simple phrase...express what you think was unique about a particular futuristic racer other than WipEout...

3. In one word, two words or phrase...express what IS unique about WipEout...to you anyway...:)

cybrpnk
29th December 2007, 11:03 AM
I'll try and start off...

1. Rollcage, XG3, F-Zero GX

2. Rollcage - drum n bass

3. WipEout - airbrake slides

swift killer
29th December 2007, 11:15 AM
1) Rollcage stage II, F Zero X

2) Rollcage ; Omni Trio - Secret Life

3) Wipeout ; Stupidly good graphic design!

mdhay
29th December 2007, 12:07 PM
1) Rollcage, R&C 2's hoverbike races?

2) One had a cop (Yuri), the other had a robot that looked like me, talked like me, amd was bald[Clank]

3) WipEout. Everything was/is unique, apart from the 2097 display, which is used in a gba rip - off.

BulletWraith
29th December 2007, 12:14 PM
1. Extreme-G, XG2, F-Zero X, wipEout 1 - Fusion (Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, not combat so much, but dang good racing)

2. Extreme-G N64: hallelujah! it's Awesome 4 player Split Screen Combat Racing in 1997!

3. wo2097 PS1: handles like a dream come true *cough'neGcon'cough*

G'Kyl
29th December 2007, 12:51 PM
1.) Rollcage(s), F-Zero(s), Dethkarz, XG(s), Killer Loop, Quantum Redshift, Fatal Inertia, Slipstream 5000, High Octane, N-Gen Racing, Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer

2.) Rollcage Stage II: running on ceilings, scramble mode!

3.) the seemingly real industrial feel to everything, skilled piloting

CR4SH3D
13th January 2008, 04:34 PM
1) Rollcage (I+II), High-Octane, Wipeout (1,2,3,Fusion), Mega Race II

2) Rollcage I: Amazing sense of speed on some circuits, Wall/Ceiling driving
Rollcage II: Scramble mode!
Mega Race II: Inbetween race fmv movies (it was done like a TV show for the racing), Very floaty camera, Had to buy weapons for your slots

3) Unbeatable sense of style, Great backstory, Personality to each team, Perfectly matched soundtracks

//edit
id suggest finding a copy of megarace 2 to you guys, its such a laugh, pretty hard, and probably £5 for PC

XR_GTR
23rd February 2008, 05:06 AM
1) Killer Loop, F-ZERO, Extreme-G3, Wipeout 3 and Fusion.

2)
(Killer Loop) Sticking to the courses via a "meter" that emptied as it was used; was useful for grabbing that tiny bit of boost to get past those opponents
(F-ZERO) : Practically invented the futuristic sub-genre of racing games and moved crazy fast, esp. at boost speeds
(XG3) : the ability to buy the weapons one needed, and of course using them any time one wished so long as the weapon meter was full enough
(WO3) : fluent and minimalistic cues with beautiful graphics : almost as good as Ridge Racer Type 4 on the same PS1; Assegai.

3) The speed, the challenge, the jaw dropping when you know you've just shot AND landed a plasma bolt on a AI craft (I _hate_ referring to the vehicles in the Wipeout games any other things but craft), and of course the evil grin when one sends the quake of utter doom (for slowpokes like me anyway!) down the track. Those floating physics too, it made craft feel more dynamic, although much of that sensation seems to still be missing in recent games, I hear.

EDIT: GAH! Bumped an old thread!

blixabargeld
18th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Rollcage stage II, F-Zero GX, Lego Racers(!?), Killer Loop, Quantum Redshift, Fatal Inertia.

_ Fatal Inertia: graphic and great customization, but the soundtrack sucks bad

_WipEout series: naturally its amazing game design (except for the one in Fusion, which i still dislike) the music (that now could be expanded with my Autechre's mp3!) and the floating sensation (now less than in the past sigh)