PDA

View Full Version : list of Cheaters and possible cheaters on line!

zargz
26th December 2007, 01:34 PM
Lard_of_god

biscotteala

sarkozy69

mik_PL

ok, I can confirm now. that bisquite guy - biscotteala or something was draining my energy for a good 30sec
I had to come to full stop to not get eliminated!!!

Lard_of_god I met only once but we already heard about him a Lot.

any other rotten eggs you met, list them here.

Asayyeah
26th December 2007, 02:28 PM
has anyone noticed about zone mode : fart of lord , pishqueta and also antipika ( check tech de ra white for instance ) that is weird those guys acheived higher zone than normal comparing to their scores : that means they are not doing any perfect lap either perfect zone and reach high zone... hmmm strange , very strange

mdhay
26th December 2007, 02:29 PM
I had found one, but I forgot. His/Her name starts with PL or something.

Btw, zargz, you should 've absorbed that quake! ;)

zargz
27th December 2007, 01:09 PM
mdhay :p

-----------------

will have to wait with Niut till I get confirmation from more woz pilots ..

might have been bad lag ..

mdhay
27th December 2007, 01:51 PM
I know that Nuit guy, he's on my killzone liberation buddy list! I will have a word with him, if you want.

zargz
27th December 2007, 02:10 PM
please do! :+

mdhay
27th December 2007, 02:41 PM
Okay, this is gonna be tough, taking out Pulse.

Stay online for a bit and I'll get back to you if he is on that.

KANDANG
29th December 2007, 06:40 AM
stayed in a game today to see what biscotteala could do.., and

he was 5 out of 6 on the last lap, I was 2.3 secs in front of the 2nd guy and swoosh! biscotteala just zoomed past me and I couldn't stop him even with a quake and missile.

haha check out his time on TT Talon's Junction White Venom
20 seconds

:naughty

Neverdown
29th December 2007, 11:35 AM
Is there any way to ban those guys of the network, or something?

mdhay
29th December 2007, 12:11 PM
I don't think so.

Colin Berry
29th December 2007, 12:30 PM
I / we will look into this when we get back into work and see what can be done.

Believe me I am extremely pissed off about this as I suspect the whole team are. To spend 2yrs working on something and then have some prick spoil a large part of it because they are so inadequate they have to cheat is really fkin annoying.

I cant promise anything, I have no idea what procedures are in place, but I'll be chasing things up and seeing what can be done.

swift killer
29th December 2007, 12:31 PM
Does'nt the PSN have admins who can ban users/accounts by psp model code?

Rapier Racer
29th December 2007, 01:01 PM
That sounds like a little wishful thinking swift killer

zargz
29th December 2007, 01:46 PM
Let's hope something can be done!

How about give the mod (person who starts a game) right to kick out players?

not only good for kicking out known cheaters but also for kicking out phantom bullies who terrorise n00bs :+

rdmx
29th December 2007, 01:59 PM
Any sort of kick function would be abused. The beauty of the current lobby system without chat or kick means you can get into a game without fear of being kicked because 'ur too good for them' as labelled by someone else.

Episode
29th December 2007, 04:53 PM
I was playing online last night and half way through the race a quake hit me right in the face, not from behind but from the front twice. Any won else seen this. Is very annoying people feel the need to make mods to get one up

Sausehuhn
29th December 2007, 05:03 PM
Ahahah. That's no cheating :D
Probably it was just a pilot very far in front, turning his ship around and firing the quake in the other direction :)

q_dmc12
29th December 2007, 05:32 PM
;)Arniiie....:naughty

:p

Flashback Jack
29th December 2007, 06:18 PM
Too funny. Our dearest GOD_OF_LORD bettered my De Konstruct White phantom lap by a measly 0.01 for first place atop the leaderboards. What he doesn't realize is I haven't published my latest laptime yet, which will retire his cheating ass from the top spot by nearly half a second. LAWL! :)

What good is a nine-second turbo if you can't handle the curves? Heh.

- F

swift killer
29th December 2007, 06:24 PM
That sounds like a little wishful thinking swift killer

Wishful maybe, but it probably can be done.

Frances_Penfold
29th December 2007, 06:28 PM
Good for you, Flashback 8) Nothing like kicking these guys' asses with plain old skill.

haha check out his time on TT Talon's Junction White Venom

I just noticed that last night-- 10 seconds faster than anybody else. Not a very subtle hint about cheating.

Flashback Jack
29th December 2007, 06:35 PM
Not wishful thinking. It's possible to ban MAC addresses from game servers, which will basically lock his hardware out of the game. Every game. Only recourse would be to purchase another PSP or find a way to spoof a new address.

Boom, punk busted.

- F

Asayyeah
29th December 2007, 06:42 PM
No no Ninja Ben i wasn t involved into this last night , i was too busy trying to catch the Del Stepho and contain the several assaults of the strong Dutch team :)

After new year's vacation, if SL can completely delete the account of God of Lord and Biscotteala that should be a great step forward ( and kick them definitely from connecting online by their ip adress or psn account )

with few WZ mates we are thinking to go back to the safer world Kai is, if SL can t find a solution, that may sound stupid for most of you guys but sincerely those fking cheaters ruin interest of the game sadly ( my opinion )

I also want a clarification , if possible Colin, about not fully visible ships from those who are running custom firmwares ( not cheaters for me but very annoying when you see your rockets missing them or missiles can t lock to them )

Amaru
29th December 2007, 06:46 PM
It's possible to ban MAC addresses from game servers, which will basically lock his hardware out of the game.
Custom firmware can modify the MAC address though so I think finding a way to regulate the PSN account would be the only definite way.

Ash-Omen
29th December 2007, 07:06 PM
lol hackers make me laugh me and zargs were playin with 2 hackers 1 of wich is nuit and the other i forgotten the name of anyway it was funny cos poor zargs got leached for about 30secs by 1 of them but the other 1 was an unlimeted booster but he sucked lol kept crashing into walls as i kept flying past lol then last lap he boosts past me hits a wall and i take the win, funny funny stuff the track was metetroplice black or somthing like that:rock

hackers really do suck.

Frances_Penfold
29th December 2007, 07:49 PM
I am all for banning by MAC address or ISP or PSN account-- seems that we need some heavy-handed grooming before a large hacker community assembles itself in the Wipeout franchise. Even if said banning isn't bullet-proof it will keep out more casual hackers and cheaters.

with few WZ mates we are thinking to go back to the safer world Kai

WOW.

Ash-Omen
29th December 2007, 07:55 PM
I am all for banning by MAC address or ISP or PSN account-- seems that we need some heavy-handed grooming before a large hacker community assembles itself in the Wipeout franchise. Even if said banning isn't bullet-proof it will keep out more casual hackers and cheaters.

somthing will have too be done soon cos we dont want to happen too wipeout thats happends too alot of ds wifi games i used too play metriod prime hunters on ds online and now the games full of hackers random wifi was completly ruined by this COMPLETELY like 1 in 3 were a hackers

BAN the bastards! lol

zerojay
29th December 2007, 08:02 PM
No no Ninja Ben i wasn t involved into this last night , i was too busy trying to catch the Del Stepho and contain the several assaults of the strong Dutch team :)

After new year's vacation, if SL can completely delete the account of God of Lord and Biscotteala that should be a great step forward ( and kick them definitely from connecting online by their ip adress or psn account )

with few WZ mates we are thinking to go back to the safer world Kai is, if SL can t find a solution, that may sound stupid for most of you guys but sincerely those fking cheaters ruin interest of the game sadly ( my opinion )

I also want a clarification , if possible Colin, about not fully visible ships from those who are running custom firmwares ( not cheaters for me but very annoying when you see your rockets missing them or missiles can t lock to them )

I have not seen anyone clearly cheating aside from god_of_lord and biscowhateverhisnameis.

I would say ban their accounts, but there is nothing keeping them from making new ones, I don't think. (I don't think he liked me making rooms called bischeater and cheaters suck! though.)

Going back to Kai would suck and is a little too extreme. There is no reason we can't just make passworded games. Would be horrible to never play you guys again (Kai will not work for me).

Dogg Thang
29th December 2007, 08:11 PM
I would have thought the simpler way would be for Sony to try to detect custom firmware and booting them from playing online - am I right in assuming that's part of the cheat? If Sony weeded out non-tampered firmware, there'd be no problem.

zerojay
29th December 2007, 08:26 PM
I would have thought the simpler way would be for Sony to try to detect custom firmware and booting them from playing online - am I right in assuming that's part of the cheat? If Sony weeded out non-tampered firmware, there'd be no problem.

Except for a few things.

1) You assume custom firmware users are cheaters. Most just want or need the extra features it provides. Seems unfair that if Johnny wanted full resolution playback of video on his PSP, he would be banned even if he had a legitimate copy of Wipeout Pulse and was not cheating.

2) Wipeout would have to have access to flash to see if the firmware has been changed, which could potentially make Wipeout a security risk itself if not coded properly.

I would rather not have some sort of automatic banning system, but having it decided on a case-by-case basis by members of SL. I am sure they have some way of monitoring races or at least looking through their databases for clear cheaters in some way.

Lets see what SL does with both god_of_lord and bischeater first though. Perhaps this forum and its members having a close relationship to the SL team and warning them will be enough to get rid of the evildoers. We'll see.

Amaru
29th December 2007, 08:28 PM
If Sony weeded out non-tampered firmware, there'd be no problem.
That would be hurtful to non-cheating custom firmware users and, anyway, a post-launch server-side firmware check could most likely still be tricked by custom firmware (firmware version name can also be edited the same way as the MAC address). I don't really remind the PSN account creation procedure I filled but since it asked for personal information I think there should be a way to check that information and assure that the same person doesn't re-create a PSN account, because if those PSN accounts can be made by any random anonymous users to cheat online then I really see a flaw in the system. :P

Ideally, the servers should check the race data to see if any pilot is doing anything abnormal but that would imply a a lot of hardware/software checks and could be potentially misslead by every player's individual LAG.

zerojay
29th December 2007, 08:32 PM
You would have to checksum every file in the PSP's flash against every version of the PSP firmware ever released. Welcome to 10 minute login times.

Dogg Thang
29th December 2007, 08:33 PM
No, I don't assume custom firmware users are cheaters. I assume cheaters are custom firmware users. And with certain features of custom firmware affecting their play, I can't imagine WO would need to access the flash to determine its status.

If the numbers of online players rises dramatically when the game makes it to the US, it's unlikely handling it on a case by case basis will be an option.

zerojay
29th December 2007, 08:42 PM
The cheat program most people use works only when the module is loaded into memory by the custom firmware when a game is launched. It might be possible to detect the module running on the user's PSP and refuse to allow them online if detected. If it is detected, it is easy to see the intent of the user (custom firmware or not) and they can be banned.

Of course, this is all theoretical, depending on how Wipeout was coded or if there is a way to do this at login.

Flashback Jack
29th December 2007, 10:10 PM
I want to clarify a few things. The purported "hacks" are neither due to any feature in custom firmwares, nor are they the result of any external homebrew (including modules or plug-ins). Certain resource files in the game are being modified.

I'll leave it at that.

- F

rageagainstgeorge
29th December 2007, 10:54 PM
All of this is leaning a bit too close to discussing custom firmware and the like.

Remember:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75681&postcount=2

Back to topic,

I raced against Nuit earlier and i'm pretty certain he's not cheating anymore (if he ever was). He didn't win any of the races i had against him (10+) and got eliminated a few times.

Amaru
29th December 2007, 11:01 PM
haha check out his time on TT Talon's Junction White VenomI just noticed that last night-- 10 seconds faster than anybody else. Not a very subtle hint about cheating.Gah! I just took a look at it and not only was he and his Feisar 11+ seconds faster than anybody else in Venom class but even faster than the best lap time in Phantom... done with a Piranha! =o.O= That ends up confirming to me that he either cheats or keeps finding enormous walkthrough bugs or that the profile uploading is glitchy. In all cases, somebody official should get in contact with him, at least just to clear things out. =-.-;=

Frances_Penfold
29th December 2007, 11:13 PM
There is no reason we can't just make passworded games

Yes, I'm not sure why this isn't being pursued more-- why go back to Kai when we can use IRC or a thread on the WOZ to coordinate a password-protected set of games using the official Wipeout Pulse infrastructure mode?

IMO the bigger issue are the records table, which will be end up worthless if the hacking becomes popular. Having 2 or 3 cheaters in the system is annoying but not a big deal-- having 2 or 3 dozen would render the records pointless.

Perhaps the WOZ would have to create an internal record table consisting of only WOZ members?

Hellfire_WZ
29th December 2007, 11:27 PM
I'd imagine that would run into the same problem Rob had with the Wipeout Fusion league tables, which were also laden with cheats. WipeoutZone can't host a league system that would be seen to rival an official league system. If we ended up resorting to that, we would end up recording our times in a manner far from as organised as the system we have here for the other games is.

zargz
30th December 2007, 12:04 AM
Back to topic,

I raced against Nuit earlier and i'm pretty certain he's not cheating anymore (if he ever was). He didn't win any of the races i had against him (10+) and got eliminated a few times.

me too. though he is laggy he is using all weapons.

anyone else raced him?

rageagainstgeorge
30th December 2007, 01:20 AM
It was very laggy when i was racing him too. His craft behaved oddly but not cheating oddly, if you get what i mean.

In other news, i beat Biscotteala at Tech De Ra White earlier. It would have been brilliant, but someone else beat me aswell!

Flashback Jack
30th December 2007, 01:35 AM
I stomped LORD_OF_GOD a few times earlier today m'self. First time racing him. It was, um, anti-climactic.

- F

zargz
30th December 2007, 02:23 AM
It was very laggy when i was racing him too. His craft behaved oddly but not cheating oddly, if you get what i mean.yes I do. just as when I was racing Flashback :D

In other news, i beat Biscotteala at Tech De Ra White earlier. It would have been brilliant, but someone else beat me aswell!mmm yeh, the bisquit guy
was racing him today with a few woz people too. 1st a 5 track tourny and he was doin ok and Not cheating!
I was thinking wow! he came arround!

then a 3 track tour – metropia white, prime white and moa black I think it was.
on metropia he starts draining me again with that endless drain! :bomb man was I angry!
had to break to full stop to get rid of him and got last. but the rest of that race I was just messin up his race.
My guess is amaru won that first race.
Didn't even look at the score after coz I was raging arround.

starting prime I was determined to kill him! heh
gave him the whole sha-bam - quakes, missiles, mines you name it. he must've been pretty frustrated
started leeching me once but I had a shield! 8)
then on the last lap I was leading (i think) and just on the first jump after the bridge Bam! he got me with the leech.
I'll be damned if I stop again for this little bastard!
so i just went on picking up and absorbing ALL the way till the 2nd last turn!!! :eek
then comes amaru from behind and cannons both his and my arse! Never felt better being cannoned :D
amaru wins, bisquite bastard comes 2nd, me 3rd and a Random Guy 4th.

I was ready for more arse kicking but then the fkn prick DCed! LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

I bet you went to cry to your MAMA!

Jerk :mr-t

Pardon my french folks! :cowboy

it felt so Good I don't even remember what happened on that 3rd race at moa black!! :g

so here's the deal.
next time you are racing one of these two idiots - gang up against them and Eliminate'em!
nevermind if you are gonna lose the race/tour! do this every time you see them!
This way we'll just punish them out. they're not gonna think pulse is so fun anymore!
not even with their f@#%n cheats! ;)

Amaru
30th December 2007, 02:35 AM
I did guess all that Leeching I kept hearing explained why I just managed to get the lead. :P Hmm, I came to realize that that biscotteala most likely is the biscottealacreve (which he explains stands for his full nickname "biscottealacrevette" which is french for shrimp rusk) I saw on the european PSP community forum around christmas. That might explain why he didn't target me directly. I met him on a previous race and beat him with 0.04 seconds margin but did notice the third contestant got eliminated by him on the second lap. I still can't confirm from my point of view but there was indeed a hefty lot of Leeching going on in all those races. =o.O=

zargz
30th December 2007, 03:06 AM
guess he's a shrimp guy then! :mr-t

he was definitely draining me.. what? 70-80% of the lap? I wish i could film it.
too bad for him leech don't bother me too much since it's 90% the same effect as my beloved Disruptor
from the wipEout 1 times (when he was probly still crawling like a shrimp) and I know it well! :g

BARTgai
30th December 2007, 03:57 AM
played some online earlier and got in a game with GOD_of_LORD and i think it was flashback also. first track was vertica white, but i sucked at that and was 30 seconds behind everyone. then it was platinum rush, and around the second lap or so, god_of_:turd stopped, and then left the game.

man, if only we had eliminator online..........

Frances_Penfold
30th December 2007, 04:30 AM
I'd imagine that would run into the same problem Rob had with the Wipeout Fusion league tables, which were also laden with cheats.

How did that turn out? That was before my time but I'm curious to know!

mdhay
30th December 2007, 06:41 AM
No, Nuit isn't a cheater Zargz, his connection is just crap.

Hellfire_WZ
30th December 2007, 08:13 AM
How did that turn out? That was before my time but I'm curious to know!

It was the reason we don't have any Wipeout Fusion records here. There wasn't any problem, Rob knew the restrictions and didn't post any league tables. As the official league tables no longer exist, we could technically do it, but I don't think Rob wants to go through the hassle

zargz
30th December 2007, 09:18 AM
No, Nuit isn't a cheater zargz, his connection is just crap.ok, mdhay! I edited him out of the first post. :+

Task
30th December 2007, 03:09 PM
I / we will look into this when we get back into work and see what can be done.That would be great Colin! Anything that can be done to clean up the online action would be awesome.
We really appreciate the efforts of you and the SL team here.

so here's the deal.
next time you are racing one of these two idiots - gang up against them and Eliminate'em!
nevermind if you are gonna lose the race/tour! do this every time you see them!
This way we'll just punish them out. they're not gonna think pulse is so fun anymore!That's brilliant Pavel!
Man, that was a great story, it had the underdog triumphing against a technologially superior foe and everything!
But this way we can turn what could have been a "no fun for anyone" game into a "more fun for everyone" game while at the same time pulling some partisan guerilla action to help clean up the infra zone ourselves.
Totally wicked, makes me wish I could get in there myself and hunt cheaters. 8 )

KANDANG
30th December 2007, 03:14 PM
ok, met another suspected cheater today

"sarkozy69"

i shot a quake and a missile and he was without a shield and still he went on

and then i got closer, shot another missile and still
he didn't stop.

probably turning off "weapons" is the best option now to stop cheaters.

mdhay
30th December 2007, 03:16 PM
This person has an invisible "dopplegänger" which blocks me from passing. He also has a turbo go off at the grid even when he tas leeching my energy.

DjManiac21
30th December 2007, 03:34 PM
That why we were playing weapons off just now then :P

We'll, we owned the guy every time! :+

KANDANG
30th December 2007, 04:19 PM
yeah after I had it at "off" he was last the few rounds we had.

:clap

imho, this sorta helps nullify the leader problem (where the back are left fighting with weapons and the leader boosts ahead without much interferences)

Therefore, starting at 8th position isn't so bad now.

However, if we have weapons turned "off" won't it make the game feel like other racecar games? :o

Rapier Racer
30th December 2007, 05:13 PM
It takes a big part away but it well never make a floating craft feel like a car :)

zargz
30th December 2007, 05:25 PM
That's brilliant Pavel!
Man, that was a great story, it had the underdog triumphing against a technologially superior foe and everything!technologically yeh but mentally - retarded!

Ok, let's see if somebody else can confirm there two new entrys to the Cheating Losers Hall of Shame

sarkozy69

mik_PL

// KANDANG

actually last week i was thinking a bout starting a thread named how to kick a cheating bastards arse
was discussing it with asa a bit coz I played two guys and they beat everyone else with 15sec
so i took them to moa black no weapons and they too 1st and 2nd but me 3rd but both of them and me were withina second.
Now they happened to be the XX_GG guys and as asa said in another thread they are extremely good racers so I just dropped it.

But yeah it's good to have it said here:

If you are the mod in you game and a known/suspected cheater joins your game
edit quickly yoor race to a weapons off race.

also it seems like cheaters are using a lot feisar probly so they can use the high manouverbility to handle the speed the boost gives
so take them to a non techincal track talon/moa where their speed together ofcource with their toatally extreme suckiness
will let you own them as the Losers they really are! 8)

if they are using the boost cheat take them to prime/tech where they'll fall of the bridge and crash in the turns! http://geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

Frances_Penfold
30th December 2007, 05:47 PM
So hackers can't use their weapon and boost cheats if the "weapons" mode is turned off? Awesome if true 8)

this way we can turn what could have been a "no fun for anyone" game into a "more fun for everyone" game while at the same time pulling some partisan guerilla action to help clean up the infra zone ourselves.
[/COLOR]

I agree! Add this "vigilante justice" to the facts that (1) we can turn weapons "off" in racers with known cheaters, (2) we can drop at the organization screen from matches with known cheaters, and (3) we can set up password protected matches-- well, it goes a long way to insulate WOZ members from hackers in online multiplayer gameplay.

But the record tables :(

mdhay
30th December 2007, 06:38 PM
Zargz, theres no need to get confirmation about mik_PL - He beat me on De Konstrukt! :?:

BARTgai
30th December 2007, 06:49 PM
man, i hope people dont think im a cheater, just because i use a feisar

EDIT: played online with sarkozy69, heres what i noticed:

-we both used sheild at same time, his lasted three times as long as mine
-he fired off like 50 rounds with cannon
-boosted to first from almost last really fast
-takes no damage

Neverdown
30th December 2007, 09:23 PM
Suspected cheaters:

BARTgai
Neverdown
Technicolour

THEY ALL USE FEISAR AS FAR AS I KNOW OMGZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

swift killer
30th December 2007, 09:36 PM
What you guys(i dont have a PSN account) should also do is gang up on known cheaters with a fully blown forward-shitstorm.

That oughtta teach'em.

BARTgai
30th December 2007, 09:37 PM
Suspected cheaters:

BARTgai
Neverdown
Technicolour

THEY ALL USE FEISAR AS FAR AS I KNOW OMGZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL????? I DONT CHEAT!!!

wait, your name is on there...

infoxicated
30th December 2007, 09:38 PM
Enough with the caps - I think Neverdown was trying to be funny, but sadly came across as an asshole. It happens.

rageagainstgeorge
30th December 2007, 11:34 PM
Lol, it happens far too much on the internet that!

Anyway, I too played Sarkozy online and he does indeed do odd things. One race I started from 3rd, he was 2nd and a Feisar was on the pole. We all got boost starts but his was much more powerful than the Feisar's. He was in an Assegai iirc. He got half way down the first straight before the boost stopped.

Still beat him though!

BARTgai
31st December 2007, 12:40 AM
hosted a game, and sar:turd joined. turned weapons off, and i beat him in that race :) came in first in fact

Neverdown
31st December 2007, 11:06 AM
Enough with the caps - I think Neverdown was trying to be funny, but sadly came across as an asshole. It happens.

I don't think you should take any post ending with caps and OMGZ seriously.
Anyway, back ontopic.. :)

Flashback Jack
31st December 2007, 03:01 PM
Now I'm seeing clear evidence of people sharing profiles to boost their friends' rankings. Au_Man_Hunter and Au_Xtreme both have identical times in a number of tables. Unless it's a single person with two accounts, which logic tells me is unlikely considering the frequency of their appearing side-by-side in the tables, I label 'em both as cheaters regardless of what misfortunes may or may not have innocently befallen one of their profiles.

- F

Rapier Racer
1st January 2008, 09:28 PM
Looks like there should be some more names added to this thread, namely those people using custom firmware to play at 333 online, nice one, give yourself an advantage like that then turn a blind eye to your own cheating and come on here ranting about other cheats.

NeXaR_QroN
1st January 2008, 09:35 PM
Is this game not supposed to play at 333 even on standard firmware?

Rapier Racer
1st January 2008, 09:54 PM
No, it doesn't. Any ideas that it might in single player mode were quashed by Foxy in a thread I can't find. I don't recall reading any official material that says it plays at that speed on or offline, it definitely doesn't online that I remember seeing not possible due to battery.

rageagainstgeorge
1st January 2008, 10:08 PM
I think it may he been Egg who said it. Too hard on the batteries to have it at 333 and wifi on.

I don't know if anyone else is thinking this but, the cheating could be a lot worse.

If you think about it, how many hundreds of people have played Pulse online? And we only know of 3 or 4 cheaters. I know that none but be better but it could also be a lot worse.

Maybe i've just got my rose-tinted glasses on...

zerojay
2nd January 2008, 01:19 PM
There's over 1000 players listed on the Wipeout-Game site and we only know of 3 or 4 cheaters. Not bad at all.

Flashback Jack
2nd January 2008, 02:14 PM
..people using custom firmware to play at 333 online, nice one, give yourself an advantage like that then turn a blind eye to your own cheating and come on here ranting about other cheats.

Wrong.

The PSP falls back to using the standard 222mhz online over wi-fi regardless of what clock speed the PSP is set to. That's from Dave Karraker, Senior Director of Sony Corporate Communications. There are assumptions and then there are facts. This thread is highly lockworthy because assumptions, unchecked and unchallenged, appear to be running amock and the spite I'm seeing in this thread is getting downright ugly.

- F

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 02:50 PM
Oh but I've played people at Pure who claimed to be running at 333 online, a very respectable pilot here in fact who admitted he was trying it out before the race, it certainly appeared like something was different during the race, clearly an advantage was gained.

Flashback Jack
2nd January 2008, 03:01 PM
Forget about the assumptions, period. Stick with the facts.

And unless those who claim to play any PSP game at 333mhz online have access to a new breed of PSP hardware the rest of us don't, playing online at that clockspeed is an impossibility because the hardware as created by Sony says so. Sony wanted to balance performance and battery life, so limiting CPU speed while a battery-hungry wi-fi transceiver operates at full tilt was a natural first and only step.

- F

zerojay
2nd January 2008, 03:02 PM
You can set it to 333 and the PSP will happily tell you that it's at 333, but when using Wifi, it's actually running at 222. Nothing you can do can change that.

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 03:05 PM
Doesn't the firmware control all this though? I also believe Sony claimed the PS2 would end PCs. Lets not believe everything Sony says.

Flashback Jack
2nd January 2008, 03:07 PM
You're reaching, Rapier. It's a hardware limitation. All the software in the world won't and can't correct this.

- F

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 03:19 PM
OK so if its not the processor speed what the hell was it? The ship got off the grid quicker, recovered from weapon blasts way quicker than it should have and was harder than normal to keep up with (Talking about Pure here), all on this PSP running the viral firmware, it gives an advantage somehow and I won't be told otherwise.

Flashback Jack
2nd January 2008, 03:33 PM
Muse about what it might be all you wish, but you know what the facts are, and it's pretty damn nigh impossible to avoid facts. It wasn't the CPU speed for the reasons stated earlier, and frankly it appears your refusal to accept this has conditioned your thinking to the point of no return. Whether you wish to accept it or not, it also isn't a feature within custom firmwares, which are changed negligibly over their official counterparts.

The current "hacks" have people editing attribute files within the Pulse game itself; their flying Feisars have absolutely nothing to do with custom firmware itself aside from it facilitating the use of the hacks because UMDs can't be pressed at will (said hacks would work on official firmwares too if this could be done). The person you speak of may have conceivably had one his own Pure ship attribute files modified, but I'm not aware of any such hacks circulating the Internet. This isn't to say such hacks don't exist for Pure; it's only that I'm pretty dialled into the PSP news scene, and I likely would have heard by now.

Having said this, there is one overriding solution, and that would be to encrypt the plaintext attribute files within the game such that bored teenagers don't go digging and modifying things to win friends and influence people.

- F

lunar
2nd January 2008, 05:21 PM
RR, I`ve seen enough evidence to agree with you. It happened on Kai and it can probably happen on Pulse too.

zerojay
2nd January 2008, 05:53 PM
Custom firmware doesn't have to be on the bad side of things. It's a tool... and as such, it can be used for good and evil.

There's nothing stopping someone from making a custom firmware module which blocks the use of standard cheating modules as well as verifying the underlying files used by Wipeout... hell, even recording a video of the session to memory stick while being played (which is already possible).

That would be the absolute best form of verification. Ghost ship + recorded video + verified good files/anti-cheat.

Just an idea.

akiraXTC
2nd January 2008, 08:32 PM
me and 2 frends of me played today against 2 cheaters.
maybe, someone can conform this 2 guys:

DJManiac21
E-Kami

PS: sorry, for my bad english.... ;)

zerojay
2nd January 2008, 08:34 PM
I hope that was a joke.

Hyper Shadow
2nd January 2008, 08:34 PM
Doesn't DJManiac post here?

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh how about that, I'm not the only one that noticed DJ Maniacs Piranha...

Flashback Jack
2nd January 2008, 08:48 PM
I certainly hope you all have your stuff together concerning DJManiac, because he's a longtime and quite dug-in member of the 'Zone, who I'm certain has enough marbles to not cheat. I for one will stake everything on the thought that he doesn't, and frankly, wish the discussion regarding him (or anyone for that matter) to disappear pending hard evidence. One could only imagine how hurtful such accusations could be, especially if it isn't the case.

Reason number two this thread should be locked down.

- F

Dogg Thang
2nd January 2008, 08:56 PM
There are a team of great mods here. If they deem a thread lock-worthy, I'm sure they'll do it on their own.

I'd imagine it's likely that DJ Maniac is just a fiendish opponent.

Hyper Shadow
2nd January 2008, 09:12 PM
There's a difference between cheating and being skilled. A friend of mine got banned for a week on Xbox Live simply because he was skilled with a sniper rifle on Halo 2.

If you go online with a game, you have to be prepared to face opponents who are far skilled than you. Unless there is a good reason why they can be accused of cheating?

Lance
2nd January 2008, 09:21 PM
Do not say that people aRe cheaters; say you were playing against 'username' and because 'x' happened, you think they might be cheating. Then ask for confirmation from others who may have played against the same ones.

At this point, I think this thread is still too valuable to close, but it must be used in the right way

rageagainstgeorge
2nd January 2008, 09:22 PM
I'd like to defend Djmaniac. I played him a few times and he kicked my arse most times. I've no reason to think he was cheating. He's just very good at the game.

Not played the other chap so no comment there.

borell
2nd January 2008, 09:54 PM
I played a 12 race tournament today and E-Kami was one of the pilots. I do not know him, but I see no reason to suspect him of cheating.

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 10:13 PM
OK I can see this threads going to break down entirely and do no good so I will apologies to DJ Maniac and add nothing else to it.

Ash-Omen
2nd January 2008, 10:21 PM
I played a 12 race tournament today and E-Kami was one of the pilots. I do not know him, but I see no reason to suspect him of cheating.

hehe that was a fun tourney and no E-Kami dont cheat

DjManiac21
2nd January 2008, 10:54 PM
Hey, I'm catching up just now, my pc died yesterday and I'm checking the zone on my wife's mac.

I see akira why you would think I'm cheating, though if you knew me you'd know I just love the game too much to come even close to anything like that.

It was the first time today I raced Rapier, I certainly never had the honor, and was happy to find more people from the zone online :beer

Regarding the races we had, I recall racing akira several times online before he even registered in this forum, we had some head to head races and tourneys, and in some I remember perfectly having lost and badly to you on tracks I still didn't know.
And we had as well raced several races in which I was able to get out of the "cluster fu&k", as we call it with chrono, and raced pretty much the whole race TTing, mining and bombing the road.

If you guys sincerely think I'm cheating, I invite you to race more skilled pilots than me, like del_stepho, asa, mad'ice, etc...

I can assure you that all there is here is practice :nod

I respect SL and all the wonderful pilots here way too much to do anything like this

kekken3
3rd January 2008, 02:27 AM
to clear some CPU clock in relation to cheating issues
----

Wipeout Pure

- Fact:
It was possible to play Pure at 333 in multiplayer and the framerate did increase to 333 speed, giving a considerable advantage over 222-ers.

- Subjective:
On local Pure lan parties we agreed of either making everyone play on 222 or 333, but never mix the two speeds, as 333 users were simply too advantaged due to easier handling and reacting in tight situations. Having this argument about 333 vs 222 a lot, once we played a whole session with our best driver (MrX) at 222 against us others at 333. He couldn't do **** and I-ve won most games. When we later all run at the same speed, he again dominated. Playing at 333 against a field of players at 222 means having an unfair handling/reaction advantage.
On the other hand, we never noticed any real targeting/weapon locking anomalies or 333 people recovering faster from weapon impacts in 333 vs 222. I'm not excluding it, as ASA, RR, Lunar and other Kai vets definitely know their **** - problem is, anomalies like fully locked down missile not hitting the target happen on 222 as well and are actually a part of the game's system (the missile hitting a wall or a good player somehow dodging it). We did a lot of mixed research and we never could point it down clearly, while the advantage from sheer handling/reaction improvement was more than visible everytime.

- My verdict:
Regardless of possible additional game altering effects of 333 vs 222, just getting the handling/reaction advantage of the dramatic framerate increase makes playing Wipeout Pure on 333 against a field of 222-ers easily qualified as cheating. Furthermore, in Pure the framerate had the tendency to drop progressively as the number of players increased. Games with 8 pilots at 222 were virtually unplayable, while on 333 were more than decent. Minimum slowdown in games with many players was another big factor in the 333 advantage.

---

Wipeout Pulse:

- Fact:
It is possible to play Pulse at 333 in multiplayer and get the framerate increase to 333 speed.
Just to remind, Pulse doesn't run at 333 by default. The framerate is still more fluent on 333.

- Subjective:
I've tried playing on 333 online and I was far from invincible or invulnerable. Weapons seemed to lock to me just fine and I've never dodged stuff I wasn't supposed to be able to dodge. But I'm obviously not the one who can judge this alone. In addittion, Pulse seems to e better optimised to handle games with high number of human players and doesn't slow down in such occasions so the impact of 333 vs default seems even smaller. Still, I'll leave it to offline games/tests with consistent opponents before saying how dramatic is the advantage of 333 vs normal clock. It definitely will always be there.

- My verdict:
No matter how small the advantage, playing on higher clock speed is and will always be cheating, even if the game is just a bit more fluent and everything else is 100% unaltered. Wipeout is a console game and part of the great console (and arcade) competitive legacy are the absolutely equal conditions for every player right out of the box. No Alienware CPU specs, no Fatal1ty laser mouses and no other 5000 $ NASA crap to give us the edge. Simple human skill is all that matters and all that should really be allowed to matter.
In the end: you play on 333 against people on default speeds = you cheat. Your opponents may never notice it and with time you may get used to not notice any advantage you get (this will happen as long as there'll be better players than you around). But in the big picture, every victory, every personal achievement you get by winning, not coming last or even from just not exploding, will simply be untrue. Like it or not. Wanna feel good about your game? Play default settings.

BARTgai
3rd January 2008, 03:18 AM
couldn't have said it any better :+

G'Kyl
3rd January 2008, 05:10 AM
Agreed! Nicely said. I firmly second the part about everyone using the same conditions. It's "great" how the last page from this thread has already almost spoiled the whole time trial/speed lap/challenges aspect in Pulse for me... Why would I want to compete against pilots who gain from faster frame rates? :turd No matter if I can actually beat their times or if I simply suck. I'm not accusing anyone, I seriously DON'T! There's especially nobody from the zone I could even think of. But for me there's now a good sense of uncertainty in the air. Just wonderful... :( Anyone know what I mean?
Let's do what we can and agree on keeping at least OUR records and races free from unfair advantages. I'll sign off with a hint to the honour code WOZ members have always been following.

Ben

lunar
3rd January 2008, 07:37 AM
Superb post Kekken. There is always uncertainty whether you`re seeing the effects of lag or custom firmware in certain situations, especially with regard to weapons, but you`ve summed it all up beautifully.

DjManiac21
3rd January 2008, 12:06 PM
I completely agree to all of this, it's just that I don't really understand why some people get mad so easily.
I said it already, I never cheat in any way, I play my Pulse game as it is, and have no intentions on modding the game through my PSP, especially after the weekend gathering with Mad where he told me about standards to posting your records, and beating Pure records with Faster? PSPs...
I just don't want to be accused because I won a couple of races online, I practice a damn lot to get there, I logged more than 60 hours already, getting more than 24 hours only on TT mode. On Pure for instance, I was decided to have at least 1 Phantom record, and managed to keep a good Vineta K record until asa came even with it. And I tried real hard to get other records, but I just couldn't...
Whenever I race asa or del or mad or many people from the zone online I know I have slim chances, and sometimes even lose to other pilots who I don't have the honour to know.
For me it's all about meeting you all, having a good time, competing and discussing about these games we all love...

This is just very unsettling guys......... :(

akiraXTC
3rd January 2008, 12:13 PM
There's a difference between cheating and being skilled. A friend of mine got banned for a week on Xbox Live simply because he was skilled with a sniper rifle on Halo 2.

If you go online with a game, you have to be prepared to face opponents who are far skilled than you. Unless there is a good reason why they can be accused of cheating?

first, as you all can see, i asked for conformation of this 2 guys.

and....well, im more than likley not the best player atall, but im shure, im not that bad too!
djmaniac were more than 10 seconds ahead of all other players.
it just didnt seemed possible to us to get this advantage over all others....
AND: in one race he started behind us, when he came in front of me, i fired a homing-missle, this +/--thingy and something more, i cant remember rightnow.
....he didnt even slow down....

but again, its just only my opinion! shure, i can be wrong. and that is, why i asked for conformation.

EDIT: @djmaniac: just seen your post.... so, sorry for that.... so, you are realy that fast?! well, cant wait to race against you again...!
but what about this other guy? E-Kami?

phl0w
3rd January 2008, 12:36 PM
were more than 10 seconds ahead of all other players
That's the problem with the weapon-heavy Pulse and a random field of competitors. The guy in front just Time Trials the track, unharmed by weapons (Rapier+Phantom Quakes don't reach him), while the pack battles it out, losing seconds(!) per lap. I won with 34 seconds once.
I think of myself as a veteran player too but wouldn't be surprised if I get destroyed by 10 seconds or more by some.
WO's weapons system offers a great variety of damage but can be used to protect yourself either. Holding a valuable item until the right moment presents itself is usually better than to farm every single weapon pick-up. If I know the track well and get ahold of a Shield or Turbo I can patiently keep it for 5 laps if necessary.
Rockets, Missiles and Plasmas can easily be dodged by well-time sideshifts, also lag has to be calculated. If your Pulse shows an impact, it doesn't mean that you actually landed a hit.
Don't jump to conclusions because someone is (much) better than yourself.

Stardragon88
3rd January 2008, 12:42 PM
10 seconds isn't really that long, especially on the higher speed classes where one mistake behind means the front runner is able to significantly increase his lead. Reminds me of a random Phantom race I was in yesterday, at the end of the 4th lap I was ahead by 22 seconds :|

Anyway, as for weapons. I personally have found the knockback they produce highly variable. There are times where quakes just shove my ship to the side of the track, and others where I get pushed 'forward' and merely lose a little bit of speed. I find sideshifting in the opposite direction of the knockback helps to nullify it.

The leech beam in particular doesn't really slow ships that much, it's effect is much more evident in the reduced handling capabilities of the ship.

Infected
3rd January 2008, 12:50 PM
10 seconds lead isn't making somebody a cheater... I played some races with good players like Del_Stepho or Kandang and they kick ass :) they beat me about that 10 seconds and im totally sure that they're not cheating... and i can make 5 seconds lead in every lap with some players so what they can do? :D It's all about your skills and luck...

I think that Leach beam just shakes your screen but that's all and u can get used to it and fly with it just good as without it:D

Flashback Jack
3rd January 2008, 01:11 PM
Wipeout Pure [and Pulse]

- Fact:
It was possible to play Pure at 333 in multiplayer and the framerate did increase to 333 speed, giving a considerable advantage over 222-ers.

This is in direct contradiction to the official word of Corporate Communications, Sony America. It mightn't surprise you that it's the duty of a communications officer to be precise about the affairs and products of the organization he or she represents. Cite your source or, for lack of a better directive, go home. :)

- F

kekken3
3rd January 2008, 02:42 PM
How about you stop making a fool out of yourself and only discuss things you genuinely know about? Like, you know, first hand experience?

I had the decency not to address my post directly at you, altough it was you literally talking out of your ass to Rapier Racer about what some random Sony rep said that made me write it - purely to clarify the mess your posts were leading everyone to. Instead of responding, you could just let it be and it would be easier for both.

From what you write it's obvious that you either don't have a PSP that can run on 333 and/or you have never tried running Pure or Pulse on 333 anyway. I doubt the Sony rep has as well. For what we know he may very well think Citta Nuova is a kind of pizza. I, on the other hand, extensively tested everything before talking. I've been playing on Kai, competing with some of the better players of Zone and at the same time did my best of spreading the WO love to friends - organized PSP gatherings and tought new players about the beauty of the game. For me to teach about games, I need to know them in detail. My intention is to help with my experience. Your intention appears only one of goofing around with facts and talk for the sake of talking. :|

Flashback Jack
3rd January 2008, 03:29 PM
How about you stop making a fool out of yourself and only discuss things you genuinely know about? Like, you know, first hand experience?

My two modded PSPs (http://flickr.com/photos/10669139@N02/1919293628/) grant me the firsthand experience, thanks.

I had the decency not to address my post directly at you..

Well you should, such that you're thoroughly held accountable for your spurious, adolescent claims. You are essentially telling Sony, the architects of the device you appear to claim god's knowledge of, that they have no idea what they speak of. The "random" Sony representative happens to be THE forward facing media liason of Sony America. His reputation and career depend on his delivery of factual information about his company's products. Why do you thwart this?

For what we know he may very well think Citta Nuova is a kind of pizza. I, on the other hand, extensively tested everything before talking.

The difference between a claim and argument is the presentation of evidence. You may have tested your PSP until pigs fly, but what you say is completely devoid of worth pending that evidence. Front it.

Furthermore, I don't care who you've frolicked with or how many cookies you wish to collect in life. If you feel the need to put your "facts" forth, expect them to be challenged when they don't measure up.

Yours,

Flashback Jack

infoxicated
3rd January 2008, 03:37 PM
I don't quite know what you're expecting from Kekken3, Jack.

His post that you originally addressed was far from the confrontational bile that your last two have been, so you can take yourself and your two modded PSP's and sit in the cooler until you can refrain from posting like a loud mouthed idiot.

And I'm inclined to agree that this thread has been turned into a mess, so it's now locked. Congrats.