PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever take your foot off the gas?

jacen
20th December 2007, 02:40 PM
in all the wipeout games i played, i can't rememer ever letting go of the accelerating button. now in pulse @ phantom i discovered that several corners are MUCH easier to take when sacrificing a few seconds acceleration.

i have made 324 gold @ pure without ever taking my foot off the gas ... did i do something wrong?

Medusa
20th December 2007, 02:42 PM
I don't play with my foot...Heehee, sorry I just had to say it!

I never let off the thrust in any wipeout game either. I will purposely bounce my ships off the walls if I have to, but I will never let up on the thrust!

jacen
20th December 2007, 02:45 PM
i know, i did the same.
but in pulse, the walls drag you to a halt almost immediately. i was so tired of crawling through chicanes that i just tried releaseing the thruster.

Frances_Penfold
20th December 2007, 02:47 PM
I mostly keep my finger on the accelerator as well-- as do most folks here, if previous comments on other channels of the forum are any indication :)

In fact, I'll throw this out there in case SL is thinking about potential changes to future Wipeout games:

How about a control option for having the accelerator "always on"? I put a lot of wear on my PSP face buttons by having to push down so often and so hard on whatever button I assign to the accelerator-- plus, it's easier ergonomically if I don't have to constantly clench down on one of the face buttons!

stin
20th December 2007, 02:53 PM
I always superglued on my little X and stays there, so I can get away from Asa!;)

stevie:)

DjManiac21
20th December 2007, 03:03 PM
That's a good idea, though right thumb's cramps are always a good indication to take a break :rolleyes:

That's actually one of the reasons why I like zone mode so much, you can just concentrate on airbraking and steering/pitch control.

Hope HD implements this option ;)

Frances_Penfold
20th December 2007, 03:06 PM
It's a reason that I like Zone as well-- I can release my grip and focus on the D-pad and the shoulder buttons.

I'd LOVE to be able to do that with the time trial mode as well!

ZenDJiNN
20th December 2007, 03:09 PM
Personally, i do whatever's best for whatever track i'm on or ship i'm using. I usually keep the gas on, but don't have a problem letting go if it makes an easier turn. :) I also try & use Side Shifting as much as possible on a lot of turns as it often helps make the turn a lot quicker.

lunar
20th December 2007, 04:08 PM
In original Wipeout, with the heavy ships, you really need to employ gas-off as a technique as it`s the fastest way to deal with some turns. It made some corners in Pure more manageable, but I think Mad-Ice, who should know, says that it`s faster in the end never to do so if you`re good enough. You get the same advantage at Pulse, but certainly I don`t think it would be a good idea at Flash and slower classes. Maybe at Phantom, but I don`t know.

phl0w
21st December 2007, 07:57 AM
Although I'm not as trained in Pulse as in Pure yet, I think I can say, that it's impossible to take Outpost 7's two 180° chicanes at full pelt. Everything else, again, a matter of practice and of course the perfect line, which got much more important in Pulse, not only for a good time but to keep your velocity at reasonable speeds too (stupid walls ^^)

zargz
22nd December 2007, 12:57 AM
I never let go of the gas till there was Pure.
so i do it on Pulse as well 8)

Asayyeah
22nd December 2007, 02:10 AM
ill second what PhlOw said about outpost 7 , it's not like the airpin of Citta Nuova you can take it without leting off the gas cause you can 'cut' a little bit the corner itself: here on outpost the 2 chicanes 180° are massives & solid 100%
Here i let off the gas

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2007, 08:28 AM
Do you ever take your foot off the gas?

I do.

Hyper Shadow
22nd December 2007, 08:38 AM
I try not to, but if I'm at critical energy or way off line, I'll come off gas a bit to correct myself.

Stardragon88
22nd December 2007, 09:06 AM
Outpost 7! First time I saw those chicanes I just kept on going straight and was wondering where all the track went.

zargz
22nd December 2007, 11:32 AM
http://geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif same here!
it was yesterday on infra.

rdmx
22nd December 2007, 12:29 PM
Haha zargz!
I saw the arrows the first time 8)