PDA

View Full Version : PSP on HDTV Issue

RingoSpoon
18th December 2007, 04:30 PM
I have a psp slim with component cable to play Pulse on my HDTV.

After plugging it in the picture is amazing (goodbye PSP-to-TV projection gadget), but the picture output is only about 22 inches wide! :brickwall

As anyone else encountered this? I have looked at the settings on my TV and have found "16:9" Zoom Projection mode which makes the screen a little bigger, but has huge grey borders down the side of the screen.

Does anyone else have this setup? Is there a way to show it in full screen, in all its glory? :)

Cheers :beer

Sausehuhn
18th December 2007, 05:25 PM
That' not possible with the official firmwares. You will always have a black border around it (till Sony fixes that - if they do) :|

mclarensmps
18th December 2007, 05:52 PM
I have a psp slim with component cable to play Pulse on my HDTV.

After plugging it in the picture is amazing (goodbye PSP-to-TV projection gadget), but the picture output is only about 22 inches wide! :brickwall

As anyone else encountered this? I have looked at the settings on my TV and have found "16:9" Zoom Projection mode which makes the screen a little bigger, but has huge grey borders down the side of the screen.

Does anyone else have this setup? Is there a way to show it in full screen, in all its glory? :)

Cheers :beer

I believe the PSP slim outputs at 480p, so in order to keep the clarity of the image, you see the black borders around what would be the 480p image relative to your screen (in other words, the 480p image does not stretch to fit the whole screen).

I could be wrong....

RingoSpoon
18th December 2007, 09:05 PM
no mate you are correct - when i jump into the TV settings I see that it is '480p' :nod

I cant beleive they went to the trouble to provide TV-out - and it cant go full screen? Thats crazy! :-

ZenDJiNN
18th December 2007, 09:19 PM
I would imagine that, given the vast amount of differing Screen Res's nowadays (on TV) what with HD & WS etc, they just adopted whatever the highest Graphics output of the PSP card & left it at that. Anything else would have meant a complete change in hardware (Which would take time & cost more) and possibly software re-writes to cope with it too. This way, although it may not be as large as you would like, at least it's larger than a normal PSP screen. :)

I'd love to see a decent sized screen shot if you ever get the chance?

jacen
19th December 2007, 08:25 AM
you see the black borders around what would be the 480p image relative to your screen (in other words, the 480p image does not stretch to fit the whole screen).

are you really sure?
because that would mean his tv can't display 480p fullscreen at all. seeing how much used 480p is, i think it's a bit unlikely.
what i am thinking is, that it renderes the 480x272 into a 720x480 letterbox. possibly with some scaling to prevent aspect ratio distortions, but that would explain why so many people experience black bars with the psp video out.

if i only could afford a slim psp ... i could check all this ...

RingoSpoon
19th December 2007, 11:21 AM
Is is possible to get a TV which is native 480p? Or able to switch between 480p / 720p ?

Would it be full screen if it has that output? :)

Sausehuhn
19th December 2007, 11:54 AM
what i am thinking is, that it renderes the 480x272 into a 720x480 letterbox.

Yes.
And no, you would not need any special hardware changes to go fullscreen as it was already done with a custom firmware.
Though, the image won't be as sharp as it is with the exact pixel ratio. But it's a small picture on a big screen anyway, so who cares? Would have liked to see at least the option to go fullscreen so everybody can decide if he wants the image sharp or stretched with fullscreen.

jacen
19th December 2007, 01:11 PM
i would have liked an option for 720x405 because afaik because composit cables are analog, they have no way of getting a 16:9 flag across to the tv.

RingoSpoon
19th December 2007, 04:09 PM
I'd love to see a decent sized screen shot if you ever get the chance?

Here you go :) PSP is underneath the TV

Its amazing when you sit very close to the TV :) Wow

http://radikal9.t35.com/images/pulse_on_hd.jpg

Asayyeah
20th December 2007, 12:11 PM
CF will allow you to have full screen with games : that is a nice feature, i didn't knew that.
Actually on my slim with components cable linked to the hdtv i got a diagonale of 24/25' on my 32' : this is just what i needed :)

RingoSpoon
20th December 2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for that info bro :)

I think it is a better game and easier to play on the HDTV. I dont think I could have done this level of piloting on the small screen....

http://radikal9.t35.com/images/tech_ra_black_perfection.jpg

Asayyeah
20th December 2007, 09:26 PM
3 PL sweet bro :)
but I'll accept new pics from you when you show me 5 PL phantom Out^post7 black :g

Lance, we shall be quiet for a moment ;)

Lance
20th December 2007, 10:39 PM
PL? What does this abbreviation mean?

rdmx
20th December 2007, 10:51 PM
Perfect Lap, the ultimate goal of any wipeout enthusiast :g

Lance
21st December 2007, 02:37 PM
[Slaps self on forehead] Gah. I knew that. Why didn't it occur to me? Senility or exhaustion, I suspect. Sheesh.