PDA

View Full Version : WIFI help

rageagainstgeorge
9th December 2007, 02:01 PM
Hello All

Been away for a while, got bored waiting for Pulse to be released! Now that it's only a few days away I thought i'd get some practice in on Pure.

I also thought i'd try and setup my PSP to work on the internet (ready for Pulse) like it had been before. I've recently upgraded my pc from XP to Vista and I can't get the damn Wireless working at all.

I have a Datel Wifi Max USB dongle. Setup in the same my i did on XP but it just won't work. I've got the new drivers from the codejunkies site but still no luck.

My questions are: Has anyone got this working on Vista (32bit)? If not, is anyone on Vista and got their psp connected to the internet? What router have you got, how did you do it etc?

stin
9th December 2007, 03:12 PM
Is Datel Wifi Max USB dongle compatible with Vista? Does it say on the instruction?

stevie:)

rageagainstgeorge
9th December 2007, 03:34 PM
They brought out some Vista compatible drivers so i assume it must be.

mdhay
9th December 2007, 06:36 PM
It's probaly your hardware. Get a new one, maybe?

I'm still using xp because of "but you are my computer" somewhere on the forum.

DjManiac21
10th December 2007, 08:27 AM
Please let us know which settings you use, like DHCP, adresses (If manual), devices on network and general physical setup.
As far as I know you have a wired PC with a wi-fi dongle right?

-Is this dongle broadcasting internet?

-When you do a normal scan with the PSP for a new connection, does it show this wi-fi?

I would go first with the dongle, making sure it actually IS broadcasting signal, and then move onto the PSP config, and try with different security settings.

rageagainstgeorge
10th December 2007, 04:27 PM
Cheers for responses guys.

I have a wired cable connection. I use the dongle for wireless. The PSP can find and connect to the dongle but can't connect to the internet.

I set it up with the following details:

Dongle was given ip 192.168.0.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0). The default gateway was given the same as my wired connections default gateway (82.24.140.1).

PSP was given 192.168.0.2. Specified DNS to be same as my wired connection's. IIRC 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100. PSP's default router was set to 192.168.0.1 same as dongle's address.

What seemed to be happening was that the wireless connection wasn't being allowed to connect to the internet. I've tried disabling the firewall (use windows firewall) but still couldn't do it.

What routers/dongles have you all got and are any of you using Vista?

Rapier Racer
10th December 2007, 06:05 PM
I've not got Vista myself but it might be worth checking to see if it has these options and that they are ticked, although you had it working on XP so I imagine you already know about this screen?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Assegai/select.jpg

Ultimately you should just get shot of Vista.

DjManiac21
10th December 2007, 07:43 PM
Rapier Racer has a good point, I've been doing some research and it seems all french pages (seems to be a lot of them talking about this) make a strong point in activating that option.

I found some document that might be of interest as well, it talks about connecting via a wi-fi datel dongle to the internet in vista, might wanna check out the steps taken here. (http://uk.codejunkies.com/downloads/Installing_WiFi_Dongle_On_Vista.pdf)

Configuration seems to be alright, there is just something preventing the PSP from accesing the internet, smells like a DNS-default gateway problem, but I might be wrong, I don't use vista.

Hope this helps :coffee

rageagainstgeorge
10th December 2007, 09:39 PM
Ultimately you should just get shot of Vista.

That's not going to win the annual "Most Helpful Suggestion Prize" now, is it? There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. I had the same problem on XP but then it magically started working on it's own.

I had enabled the internet connection sharing.

I have also tried following Datel's instructions with no luck.

I'm thinking of getting a "proper" cable wireless router now. I've a couple of other things i'd like to access the internet (my DS and laptop). Any good ones knocking about?

Rapier Racer
10th December 2007, 09:48 PM
I think it is though, you know PC world have taken a dive in profits by buying in lots of copies of Vista only to find that no one wants it?

Asayyeah
10th December 2007, 10:26 PM
Hello George : we are on the same boat :(
I ve bought a wifiMAx today and still struggling to browse the net through my psp.
I ve spent the whole day lurking on forums , testing various combinations of datas, following many totorials and leading to what : i can access to my wifimax but when connecting to the net on my psp i got that ****** DNS error (80410410) : Ive found the 2 dns of my own provider, entered them into the psp, same for my network connection and still not working.

rageagainstgeorge
10th December 2007, 11:08 PM
I'm pleased it's not just me! What WIFI kit did you have before when you had it working on Kai?

Rapier Racer: I had this exact same error on XP so i know it's not Vista. Got XP working in the end ages ago (not entirely sure how though!).

Asayyeah
11th December 2007, 12:06 PM
I used a dlink DWL 122 in ad hoc mode : that has worked perfectly during 2 years , but this dwl can't create an access point on my pc.

End of this afternoon i am gonna try with a real wifimax dedicated to psp ( former mine was white with written on the cover ' for nintendo wii & ds lite ' and supposely compatable with psp cause it's written also into the book and mentioned by the seller).
Since i had a doubt yesterday if i really used the right or wrong wifimax, i exchanged the white one for a black one .

Hope it's a matter of wifimax and not this Sh**** DNS error

rageagainstgeorge
11th December 2007, 12:43 PM
I got a black one with "for PSP and DS" on the box. I think they're all the same model just sold in different packaging. Sorry.

phl0w
18th December 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm afraid I can't get my PSP to connect to the internet either.
I can scan and connect to my access point (NetgearWGTv2) but not to the internet (SpeedTouch510 modem). I always get an DNS Error (either 80410410 or 80410410). I've been reading hundreds of tutorials for a year now and no luck. My PSP works on other hotspots just fine, so it's got something to do with my overall Router-WLAN configuration (which I didn't install, but that guy from my ISP).

Asayyeah
20th December 2007, 11:49 AM
When Borell visited last week till monday , we did tried everything ( except the open-dns : i will test them tomorrow when i have time)
His 'airport' routeur allowed us to connect to the online but strangely after 4 or 5 min we got a disconnexion to servers : this is so annoying cause now we ( stefan & I) suspect that my provider ( not Xdsl but cable = Numericable) firewalled my connexion at the source of it.

lunar
20th December 2007, 12:21 PM
that disconnection might explain the 4 easy "wins" I had over you last Saturday, Arnaud, when your ship was just parked for a whole tour. Certainly the last easy ones I`ll get. Hope you get it sorted soon :nod