PDA

View Full Version : Hi there, question for you guys.

wicko
31st October 2007, 05:38 PM
Hi, new to the forums. Big fan of the original game (first PSX game I ever played :D) and I did a bit of hunting and picked up WipeOut XL and WipeOut 3. XL arrived today, and I tried putting into my PS3, but it doesn't start, and gives the error code 80028f17. I did a bit of research and apparently that code refers to PS2 games having trouble starting. I also checked the compatibility list ( I have the hardware emulated model, 60GB) and it says plays with no major issues. The game works in my PS2 console.

Can you guys give me any advice? I've tried cleaning the disc, it still lets me play the tracks on it through the PS3, but starting the game does not work. Thanks for any help. :banzai

mdhay
31st October 2007, 08:02 PM
Try
http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc

Word of warning though, this site tends to lie by accident.

Mad-Ice
31st October 2007, 10:26 PM
Hello there and welcome!! Can't help you with your question, I don't have a PS3 yet!!! I hope you will work it out. Enjoy your stay.

wicko
1st November 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for your help. I tried looking on that site but I saw no mention of XL, just 2097, I don't know if they are the same game or not? Also I am in Canada, so I don't think the EU version would tell me what I need to know. Thanks though

I did send a message off to them though, so hopefully I get a response in the next couple days. I might have to find another copy..

Lion
1st November 2007, 10:21 AM
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus should be more use to you
I did a search and got this back:
Wipeout XL
Publisher: Psygnosis
Product No: SCUS-94351
Description: No major problems for this title.
and if 2097 on my 60Gb PAL unit is anything to go by, it definitely should be working...
the only drawback is no negcon.
I've yet to put in the time to see if it locks up the same way as the PS2 does

wicko
1st November 2007, 02:31 PM
Yes thats the same site I looked at before posting here.. I also posted in the Sony Forums, some people suggested disabling the PS2 options such as smoothing and scaling, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Task
1st November 2007, 03:01 PM
There are definitely small differences between WOXL and 2097.
I wouldn't imagine that they would cause issues getting the game going though.
Works in your PS2, doesn't work in your PS3?
I recall having difficulty getting certain types of discs to work in my PS2, so perhaps is a laser adjustment on the PS3 that you need?

I dunno, I think the best suggestion here might be "stop trying to play it on your PS3, use the working PS2"! 8 )

wicko
1st November 2007, 07:38 PM
Haha, yeah, but I'm selling the PS2 to a friend, no point in keeping it if most of my games work. I only paid 10$ for XL anyway, I might just buy another copy somewhere and hope for the best.

BulletWraith
5th November 2007, 11:39 AM
just pick up a PS1 their are heaps laying around, ask your friend your selling the PStwo to if he has one in his closest

I got one yesterday for 5 bucks, all I need now is a link cable and someone to challenge, it's a good reason to pick one up, also the NeGcon/Ultra Racer support makes wipEout

chur
-zer0shen

wicko
7th November 2007, 03:31 PM
Well my copy of Wipeout 3 came in yesterday, so that should be enough to tie me over while I look for a new copy. I'm sure theres just something defective with the one I have, plus it didn't come with a case/manual, so I'll be hunting for a better copy.