PDA

View Full Version : WipEoutZone Folding@Home Team

infoxicated
13th October 2007, 12:07 PM
Team number is 89812

:rock

WipEoutZone Folding@Home Stats (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=89812)

Lion
13th October 2007, 12:12 PM
was wondering if this would happen :P
I'll migrate mine over from the team I'm in atm

Rapier Racer
13th October 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah I would need to do that too I'm currently in team Gamesey, to be honest though I don't do a lot of folding on the PS3 its either serving me directly or it gets switched off.

infoxicated
13th October 2007, 02:21 PM
Figured I might as well start one. :)

When the firmware comes that allows you to wake on LAN via the PSP, I'll access it during the day to download stuff from the store in the background and run F@H while it's doing that.

rdmx
13th October 2007, 02:21 PM
Yay finally a team to join that's worth supporting!

Mind you, I fold on my PC instead.

Rapier Racer
13th October 2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah but the PS3s folding power is probably way more than your PC, I downloaded the PC app and it started screwing up my other programs so it was swiftly removed.

rdmx
14th October 2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, i know, but i just dont want to leave my ps3 running unattended.
F@H also screws around with my other programs - if i have it running, all my full-screen programs minimise.

mdhay
14th October 2007, 09:13 AM
*Promptly joins in the hopes to cure mother's Multiple Sclerosis*

Rapier Racer
14th October 2007, 06:08 PM
Moved over to team Wipeoutzone :) I think I'll let my PS3 do more folding because today it hit me, I don't pay the power bill :D

Hellfire_WZ
15th October 2007, 02:36 PM

infoxicated
16th October 2007, 01:04 PM
I'm not understanding the stats/scoring system at all - Lion's PS3 has been folding like... someone who's just emptied every dryer in the worlds largest laundrette... *ahem*, but for some reason I've scored more.

Rapier Racer
16th October 2007, 02:06 PM
I was wondering how the points system worked too maybe bigger units earn more points?

jmoid
16th October 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm in!

Rapier Racer
16th October 2007, 04:52 PM
Will running this shorten the life of my console? I mean it is hammering the cell isn't it?

Task
16th October 2007, 05:07 PM
It'll have no more effect than just having the console on would have.

A processor isn't really a failure point for hardware, the other parts of your console will wear out much sooner.

Lion
17th October 2007, 05:04 AM
mine keeps having communications issues. it'll complete a unit and fail to upload results, or fail to grab a unit to work with in the first place (and the retry delay gets longer each time). and it doesn't seem to cache them to upload later either...

edit: interesting, I just noticed that my PS3 says I have completed 2 work units, where that page says I have completed 9
I imagine this is related to my lower than expected score.

edit2: 3 days later...
if I wasn't taking breaks from folding to play Dirt or Wipeout (which is way harder than I remember, without a neggie) then I recon I'd be beating you on points by now ;)

edit3: another 9 days later...
kickass! top of the tables

DjManiac21
25th January 2008, 08:40 AM
Probably a little late, but I'll join as well :D

I just figured out how it works and what it actually is.

infoxicated
25th January 2008, 08:52 AM
I've not been doing a lot recently, but if I'm playing a lot of Burnout at the weekend then the controllers will need recharged overnight, so that's as good a reason as any to do some folding. :)

Chrono
15th May 2008, 06:57 PM
I'll join when I return from class tonight. I usually only run it when I'm away for a couple hours and I want to come home to a warm PS3 =P. Hopefully reviving this topic will get some of the people whom also just got a PS3. Let's cure some cancer!! :hyper

Edit: this totally needs a sticky

lunar
16th May 2008, 12:55 AM
I signed up too. Love the maps with all the clusters of lights on - the UK and the Netherlands seem to be the hottest places. It`s like being in a plane. If only they could add some gameplay and let us use that view to drop bombs on France it would be perfect. ;) Joking, FFF. :) Let`s get WZ into the top 10,000!

Chrono
16th May 2008, 08:28 AM
Btw, why does India seem to have it's own system of lights? Everything in folding looks consistent but India.

I also noticed, what I determined were US soldiers in Afghanistan.

mdhay
17th May 2008, 07:06 PM
Or friendly terrorists?

One light I saw was in the middle of nowhere - a boat, maybe?

omega329
17th May 2008, 07:31 PM
I found looking at japan rather funny...

mdhay
17th May 2008, 07:41 PM
How? Lack of lights?

omega329
17th May 2008, 07:50 PM
yeah... I thought I would have been technicolour city over there, all I saw was a few lights

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 11:31 AM
There always seems to be some geezer in orkney running folding as well. If you look carefully there are also some tiny islands in the middle of the pacific and indian oceans. Pretty interesting :)

lunar
20th May 2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah, and I`m starting to feel a little bit competitive about folding now. I think maybe I might take competition too far sometimes.

But I`m wondering what`s the best ethical choice here. Do you create more good with your small contribution to the folding programme than the harm you cause by leaving your PS3 on and using more energy resources?

Norfolk'n'Clue
20th May 2008, 11:39 AM
I think I read somewhere that with the new updates (it's on the folding site iirc) your PS3 uses 115W. I presume that is per hour.

infoxicated
20th May 2008, 11:45 AM
Couple of weekends back it was my Uncle Peter's 60th birthday and while he was round I had F@H running as something to do whilst I recharged controllers. Uncle Peter is a scientist with a seriously strong background in biology. I asked him to explain what was going on with the proteins and his explanation was awesome!

Apparently he'd tried to go the teaching route at some point in his career, but it didn't fit with him so well, which I find amazing considering how well he explained it to me. I cant remember all of it, admittedly, but by way of example he explained the difference between biological and non-biological detergent by what they were doing at the molecular level.

Bit of a mind job, but fascinating - especially having it explained by someone with so much enthusiasm for the subject. :)

mdhay
20th May 2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, and I`m starting to feel a little bit competitive about folding now. I think maybe I might take competition too far sometimes.

But I`m wondering what`s the best ethical choice here. Do you create more good with your small contribution to the folding programme than the harm you cause by leaving your PS3 on and using more energy resources?

Oh, the Irony. :p;)

Rapier Racer
25th May 2008, 12:30 PM
I don't let my PS3 fold anymore, I know it's a good cause and all but eh, I want my PS3 to last as long as possible considering I payed launch day prices for it and I don't think leaving it on folding is the best way to go about that.

Then theres the power it'll use.

Ota
13th July 2008, 01:29 PM
Joined the cause. The name is Fuchikoma (my PS3's network name) since it does all the work, not me. ;)

Darkdrium777
14th July 2008, 01:56 AM
Not in the team but I did contribute (http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Darkdrium) :)

taqili
27th August 2008, 09:48 PM
join'd!

infoxicated
28th August 2008, 08:52 AM
I've not done any folding in ages - if my PS3 is on, then I'm playing it!

Otherwise, now that it's in the bedroom with me, it'd be too noisy to have on through the night - would probably make the room quite hot, too. :|

rdmx
28th August 2008, 12:19 PM
Got an nvidia 8 series and above graphics card?
Folding @home now runs on Nvidia GFX hardware, delivering performance probably faster than the PS3. I can complete a 25000000 frame project in around 2 and a half hours :D

Motorsagmannen
15th April 2009, 10:29 PM
made a team before i joined WZ its called "wipeout_cancer" and has a small array of zoners in it, i will suggest a merge with this team among its contributors :)

diddymal
10th August 2009, 12:41 PM
Then theres the power it'll use.

A standard PS3 uses somewhere in the region of 200W of power, so it's like leaving a few lights on in your house. Not really that much when you think about it. I'm currently folding for GTAforums, I've got about 76K points, if I'm not playing on my ps3 I'm folding. My crappy laptop folds 24/7. I'd say it would take my laptop a week to do what my PS3 does in a day.

NightArh
17th August 2009, 07:55 AM
I thought a little and decided to install screensaver clients on all office computers at my work. The only their function now is heating the air ;)

bjoern92
11th December 2010, 06:41 PM
Current prices is sky high in Sweden right now, but I'm going to join and fold some for the WipEoutZone team.. hope it still exist!?

More people should contribute to Folding@Home. I imagine it could make a change. The app is pretty great too:nod

F.E.I.S.A.R
12th December 2010, 12:56 PM
Quick question:How do I contribute? Do I download the software on the main page?

bjoern92
13th December 2010, 02:11 PM
If you want to use your ps3 to contribute and want your ps3 to make some badass calculations for the greater goods, just install the application "Life with Playstation" under the network menu. Before it was just named Folding@Home i think but it is updated with live weather and news and a bit more. Anyways, start up the app, go into settings and go to "choose team id" or something like that, and put in this number: 89812 - to join the wipeoutzone team. Then you starting to fold, more info about the folding itsef is in the app. How you fold through your regular computer i don't really know how, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Just contributed myself and i write though the ps3 app integrated browser :)

Medusa
13th December 2010, 02:13 PM
I have intentions of contributing, but never remember to leave the PS3 on long enough to finish even one unit. :)

bjoern92
25th December 2010, 11:04 PM
Hehe thats easy to happen! Fast reply here..
You can change the settings to turn off the PS3 automatically after the unit is finished, or just set a time. Come on Medusa and all others, just do it and join me ^^ stand up for the wipeoutzone team!

...my third post on this forum :brickwall

Medusa
25th December 2010, 11:09 PM
Heehee yes bjoern I've been Folding away lately, so yay I'm actually contributing more LOL. You should really post more here, y'know? :)

bjoern92
25th December 2010, 11:23 PM
Thats Awesome of you :D :clap
Yeah i know that^^ people seems great here. And I have quite some passion for the game.
I just have to work on my English a bit to feel more comfortable writing stuff.
And this is off topic of course but on the other hand this is kind of an off topic tread ;)

Medusa
25th December 2010, 11:25 PM
Hey it worked, you just posted more! :) Don't worry about your English, just post away, you'll get better with practice right? (If you want people to correct you, you can just ask.)
Regarding the wipeoutzone folding team, when I looked the other day at the stats page, it didn't look like there was a lot of activity. Maybe people are worried about wearing their PS3's out?

SaturnReturn
25th December 2010, 11:30 PM
I was thinking that too. I started this when I first got my PS3, but never got very far because it's in my room and would keep me awake at night. More recently I would definitely worry about whether it would contribute to bringing a premature end to my system. Possibly not though, as most issues people have seem to be blu-ray related and I've hardly played blu-ray games at all on my machine.

Is it possible to set it to come on at a certain time and do this?

Medusa
25th December 2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think so...but I don't know a whole lot. :) I leave mine on folding when I head out for the day. Sometimes I put auto-shut-off on my PS3 in case I'm gone for 36 hours...but usually I just let it run.

bjoern92
25th December 2010, 11:41 PM
I don't know what the reason could be.. probably a combination of what you said :/ , the boringness, lack of trophies, lack of information and interest.

infoxicated
3rd January 2011, 04:40 PM
When I first got my PS3 I had it folding like Superman on laundry day, but in the last year or so I've rarely fired up the client.

It's really just worry about shortening the lifespan of my (originally) 60Gb model, although, as I understand it, the motherboard problem is more about heat cycles than continual use.

It doesn't seem very environmentally conscious, either, leaving a power hungry phat PS3 on all night to crunch through a unit. When I'm downloading lots of content and I'll leave it on to fold at the same time, but aside from then my contributions have been a bit lacking.

MegaGeeza22
17th January 2011, 05:17 AM
Im gonna sign up to this in a moment if its still going! my ps3 is always switched on and signed in even when its not being used, so il start folding i think

CPROSICK
29th January 2011, 02:25 AM
to 89812,,,

I used to let the machine do this,,,but stopped cause I wasn't activating Life@PS

Pez88
16th August 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not sure if this is still active, but I joined anyway. Hopefully it is :)

Medusa
17th August 2011, 05:04 AM
I haven't left mine folding in awhile, but I'm sure the program is still functioning, or we'd have heard otherwise.

UnleashSonic
21st April 2012, 01:04 PM
Sorry to, more or less, resurrect a dead thread guys, but does anyone still do Folding on their PS3's here? I am thinking of starting to do it again, seeing as I don't use my PS3 as much for gaming anymore. :)