PDA

View Full Version : [Theatactrical thoughts]

Chill
30th September 2007, 03:46 AM
I've noticed in Wipeout, the best of Square-Enix games, and as well as some of the better Animes "Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Appleseed, etc..." all seem to come together to be great work... the music, the drama, the colors, the scenery, all come together to make a better style than any other entertainment (other than music) I know of.

They are very much like the better of music, good timing, good beats, and, by providing a sense of humbleness in the voice, not throwing itself out into rediculism, in the entire length of the song. Something that Classical, Older Indian, and Oprah music has much of more than newer music...

Theatre's were around since about the Medieval era, and scripts were looked over and over, corrected and corrected, before brought on stage. This I think is a lacking of a lot of art now-days, and Japan has much more acceptance than America... crappy hack-slash movies and tv shows, shallow music, all seem to be far more occurencies than in the past in America.

I donate this thread for people, and their free-thought on their entertainment outlook in the world, after all, it's our entire base of our lives!!! Our happiness, our motivation.

I believe that if the better elements of various people come together than just the elements only that person believes in, and a few selected multiple, not just anyone were allowed to rate a game before it is even released, it could be brought up to be more acceptable than some of what we see now (50 cent bullet proof, gang fire-fight games...) I mean... who in the hell rated those to be thrown into the economy?! And be the base of the newer generation's lives?! ;)

All criticism accepted. :)

Medusa
30th September 2007, 09:41 PM
I think I agree with you...!

Personally I find it a great waste of time to sit down for two hours and watch pretty much any Hollywood movie these days. It seems as though the entire entertainment industry is geared to shock-and-awe, instead of building-up-to-greatness. For movies in particular, they either churn out films which contain line after line of pathetic one-liners and physical gags (I can't even call it comedy...). Nothing is well-done or tastefully done. Even something which is funny in itself is done so over the top that it is too ridiculous to even laugh at. A perfect example of this is the Steve Martin remake of the Pink Panther. That movie steals the most memorable physical comedy from the whole Peter Sellers film series, and reduces it to overdone and unbelievable vomit. (In my opinion, of course.)
Still on the topic of film, how about the "dramas"? Usually this now means a war epic, heavy on the battle scenes and low on IQ. And usually chock-full of historical inaccuracies which are so bad you can hardly focus on the story. (Flyboys, anyone? Every German plane is a Driedecker? I don't think so. And most of them are red? Were the Germans idiots? No...that film was barely watchable.) There will never be another movie like Das Boot.

Don't get me going on the topic of music. Particularly "pop" music. Madonna rips off ABBA with complete aplomb, you name the current star, they've ripped off someone's music. Rap stars seem to be the worst. (On another rant - Kanye West "you can be my black Kate Moss" - WTH? Over HigherFasterStronger? Eww! Daft Punk sure lowered themselves to lend him a hand. Ick.) And I wonder why I love Beethoven and Tchaikovsky so much. They may be long dead and gone but at least they had a worthy amount of talent!!

The truth is, I believe, that that the urge is just too great for people to just toss entertainment out into the world without spending enough time on it to make it great, nevermind make it coherent and well-knit, whether it be film, drama, literature, or video games.

Chill
30th September 2007, 11:39 PM
You hit the nail on the head!! Though I won't say that their isn't any good music to come by anymore, it's just harder to find than the more popular stupid stuff...

What whent wrong?? What brought the economy down to this level?? My favorite TV show is the original Twilight Zone!!! I mean, you would've thought it would've changed by now, but it hasn't!! Has technology make life easier also gave the economy less discipline??

zargz
1st October 2007, 03:34 PM
you are right about the hollywood movies, medusa.
at the end of the Gladiator I was expecting the spangler & banger or whatever they call the us flag :D
in general they overkill the ending of the movies and sticking the flag in your face every time is so tasteless.
a good movie I enjoyed couple of days ago was Anger management. that's a good ending!
and a couple of jackie chan movies on saturday too. great fun and acrobatics! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ninja2.gif

BulletWraith
1st October 2007, 05:37 PM
Rez did it for me, I Love everything about the game, played in the dark on a reasonably okay tv screen with a nice pair of Cans er headphones can make this game an extremely immersive experience, the Sound oh the Sound, the simple gameplay and beautify constructed environments and their lively inhabitants all come together so seamlessly.
It's a little short but I could care less it's a game I want to play for half an hour or so to just enjoy without much thought to progression or high scores just relaxy enjoyment
I saver this game, it's still barely complete

hmm yes go REZ:rock!:rock!:rock!

I think I agree with you...!
Rap stars seem to be the worst. (On another rant - Kanye West "you can be my black Kate Moss" - WTH? Over HigherFasterStronger? Eww! Daft Punk sure lowered themselves to lend him a hand. Ick.) And I wonder why I love Beethoven and Tchaikovsky so much. They may be long dead and gone but at least they had a worthy amount of talent!!

haha I absolutely love this remake, I don't like everything about it, the lyrics could be alot better and the video Dang!, it could have been so much more they had a few good ideas but should have gone further with it.
but yeh I love this version even more than the original, I'm a medium sized Daft Punk Fan and not really a Kayne West fan at all.

can't believe you sat through that Pink Panther movie, in my reality it doesn't even exist, I completely ignored it *shudders*

as far as blockbusters go Batman Begins and Transformers were pretty good
oh man 'the science of sleep' blew me away, that's a perfect movie IMO, I was so dazed and happy after it I walked out the fire exit and ended up behind the counter of a Chinese fast food place, very confusing

thunder and Joy
-Stevie

Chill
2nd October 2007, 06:46 AM
I liked 300... even though the movies now-days seem to rely on graphics and sound far more than anything else, it's still some elements that come together to make a rather good feeling...

Transformers was pretty good... but I have a feeling it will be corny in a decade or two. ;)

The point on Kanye West is that he takes other songs, plays around with them to make them sound a bit better, than make a HUGE profit off of it... don't get me wrong, I love them myself. I just hate how he's taking all our money on just some re-mixes all the time... simply because of their classic style!! It seems to be all his background beats that brings in all the money, his singing I could care less for... he pretty-much just talks with slang loud. Anyone could've made these songs with their own lyrics and sound almost the same, mabye even better...

Their are a few things that are good, but why do we even accept the crappy portions?? If we were still as thoughtful as in the past, we would correct things to make them the best we could make them, like Kanye West's singing, most of it just messes up the song and seems annoying to me... Or we wouldn't have as many crappy shows, movies and music period... because we wouldn't have accepted it from the start...

My opinion is that America has seemed to get ahead of itself with "hype" and "style" over "knowledge", "class", "depth" and "reason"... things that, to me, seem more important than the hairs rising on the back of my neck if I did even like recent art...

Lance
2nd October 2007, 02:28 PM
Theatrical.

Money is what drives the society, since that is how our world functions, and it is faster and less expensive to reuse ideas and even actual songs, scripts, etc. to produce new salable media. This is why remakes are so popular, they generate a higher percentage of profit, and deliver it sooner.

There is also the fact that while plenty of talent can be used even on remakes and things which use sampling, it isn't required. And there are a lot fewer talented and original people than there are average people. The lack of originality in the production of new media is likely to be a long-lasting situation, particularly because markets are so large and can consume new ideas so fast and repeat them so quickly.

Medusa
3rd October 2007, 03:30 AM
The name of this topic had me thinking along a slightly different tack...
Perhaps it could be called "Theat-attacked-rical Thoughts"...since I feel as though my not-so-high-in-the-first-place IQ is being attacked each time I submit myself to what classifies as theatre in this day and age. What's been good since Bernard Shaw anyways? I'm not aware - someone has to fill me in on the last hundred years or so in theatre.:p (Time traveller vibes.....)

Chill
3rd October 2007, 04:00 AM
Theatrical.

Money is what drives the society, since that is how our world functions, and it is faster and less expensive to reuse ideas and even actual songs, scripts, etc. to produce new salable media. This is why remakes are so popular, they generate a higher percentage of profit, and deliver it sooner.

There is also the fact that while plenty of talent can be used even on remakes and things which use sampling, it isn't required. And there are a lot fewer talented and original people than there are average people. The lack of originality in the production of new media is likely to be a long-lasting situation, particularly because markets are so large and can consume new ideas so fast and repeat them so quickly.

So, what I am reading, is that art now-days is driven by money rather than quality of itself?? If that's the case, than why can't artist see that better art would only get them far more money, and not only that, but respect in the end. Respect for making good music themselves, the same respect classic artists still recieve now...

I know if I were a creator of music, or movies or something, I would rather want it to have a great permanent voice than to make a profit. This seems this would fit better as the sole reason for an artist than money... money seems to be making a negative impact on our culture...

Being and accepting you're average sounds original to me... It's not the originality that seems to make up the artist now days, but the goals they seem to reach for. Reaching for money is much easier to reach for than respect and an impact on the economy. Speaking on your thoughts, Lance, being that they are most-likely true, I would say that it seems to be more the goals the artists reach for then there originality that would determine how well they will put themselves out to perform...

@ Medusa: Howabout Art thoughts?? I don't know how to change the name of the thread anywayz though... :p

Lance
3rd October 2007, 08:21 AM
Artists can set whatever goals for themselves they want, as I have, but that doesn't mean that their art will ever appear in mass media. Mass media requires mass money for distribution. The people who invest the money control what approach is taken in distributing the art, what art is selected, art that will sell enough to get all the money back and a lot more. It lowers standards and reduces choice. I can write whatever I want and post it on the internet, but it will be seen by few, partly because of the nature of the writing itself, the subject and the style. It requires something with potential to be popular in order for it to ever appear in large numbers. Part of the problem with producing something of a high level and having it seen by a lot of people is that it requires a lot of people who want to see it, who can understand and appreciate it.

Here in the U.S., that is not available because our educational system has such low standards, such low aspirations. People are graduated from several years of 'education' without even knowing anything about history or literature or how everyday things work, and most of them seem to have little skill at reading or writing or stringing three or four logical concepts together. As more and more free knowledge is available every year for the taking, the average knowledge level of my fellow Americans drops lower and lower. Amazing. ****in' amazing.

Chill
4th October 2007, 12:46 AM
I think standards were set lower for immigrants who didn't understand our language very well, thus not educating Americans as well. But for those who have money, private schools are available...

I can see why you're pissed off about it Lance... but I'm not going to say that I'm very genious at all either. I could use a bit more education myself, and I feel guilty for it. ;)

Mabye it's because the economy doesn't feel guilty enough for it's lowering of education. Mabye it's just because we've become lazy, or their is less descipline now. What do you think the reason is Lance? Is it really just the lowering of standards?

How this is on topic: [Education is needed for true art to be understood.]

Medusa
4th October 2007, 02:24 AM
I think Lance's rant easily applies to North America in general. Personally I see average knowledge levels dropping here as well, not necessarily the fault only of education, but in people's motive in general. The stimulus of a peer or mentor is a huge part of a person wanting to increase their knowledge, whether it be simply the encouragement to learn or actively forcing knowledge down a person's throat. :brickwall Repetition is still a learning method. (1 plus 1 equals 2...) But if a person sees a parent or friend benefiting from what they have/are learned/learning, it stimulates them to broaden their horizons and learn more, about whatever.

I don't think anyone on earth could ever truthfully say that they couldn't use more education.

Hmmm, about that last statement Chill...that will get a good debate going! I disagree that education has that much to with great art being understood. Perhaps with it being created, mostly in fields of literature and music.
Personally I am of the opinion that a truly great work of art will be understood intuitively by the majority, regardless of their education level, thus defining it as a great work of art.

zargz
4th October 2007, 12:31 PM
I think standards were set lower for immigrants who didn't understand our language very well, thus not educating Americans as well.. I'm guessing this is your own idea and not an historical fact right?
coz as far as i know north-Americans are nothing but a bunch of immigrants 8)
could it be that education in the states is not the highest priority of the goverment (both of them - rep & dem)?

Medusa
4th October 2007, 10:31 PM
north-Americans are nothing but a bunch of immigrants

You are absolutely right, for probably most of them!! Unfortunately immigrants pushed the native americans underfoot in the big move to "free land"...but that's another topic entirely I suppose. How uneducated of the immigrants, I say! There was nothing free about it!

Chill
5th October 2007, 01:02 AM
Hmmm, about that last statement Chill...that will get a good debate going! I disagree that education has that much to with great art being understood. Perhaps with it being created, mostly in fields of literature and music.
Personally I am of the opinion that a truly great work of art will be understood intuitively by the majority, regardless of their education level, thus defining it as a great work of art.

I was relating education with art because broadening your horizons help you understand art better... for example, seeing a picture of warriors... it helps to know the war in which the picture took place, the persons situation if the picture doesn't show everything perfectly pure, and helps to understand the people's facial expressions, thus understanding expressions in general... in the end, it does have more of a connection than we realize...

I was speaking more along the lines of present immigrants zargz... ;) Besides... I doubt education was as huge when we immigrated into the U.S. back then than it is now.

Lance
5th October 2007, 05:26 PM
Don't forget that the ''native Americans'' were immigrants when they came here from Asia, and they fought among themselves to take each other's territories.

BTW, I'm a native American; I was born here.

Chill
6th October 2007, 12:34 AM
Not that I don't respect immigrants... don't get any ideas. But I only respect those who earn what they have, and am against all of the criminals and smugglers...

However, seems we shouldn't drift far to much off topic, lol... :D

Chill
14th October 2007, 05:56 AM
Their are some good movies now-days... I think that we may just over-react, thinking that what's presented much louder is popular, that of which is not as good... because those who present their things the loudest are not as respectable as those who tone-down their art, and not throw it in your face... people who have an art present it with their own personal knowledge. Smarter people with much better art don't blast their stuff in front of your face because they have been raised to respect more, along with that, those who taught them respect (their guardians and friends) also have good knowledge because of it. If they weren't as smart, they would yell at their children, get into fights with their friends, etc. Those who seem to have good taste in art seem to be much more respectful, like this forum. Yet another way knowledge ties together with your choice of art...

More knowledge about art directs your choice of art.