PDA

View Full Version : PSP Firmware 3.70 out today

Rapier Racer
11th September 2007, 04:56 PM
Main features that are new or revised in version 3.70
Custom Theme SettingsYou can now set a custom theme under [Theme Settings]. The Home Menu colour background or icon design can be changed, based on the theme that is selected.
Scene SearchYou can now search for a scene when playing a movie that is saved on a Memory Stick Duo media.
You can select and play the scene you want to see from a thumbnail image. This is convenient when you want to quickly play only a specific scene.
Viewing a slideshow while listening to musicSimultaneous playback of content under Music and Photo is now supported.
You can enjoy viewing a slideshow of your favorite photographs while listening to music. (Ive been waiting for that one)

Other new or revised features in version 3.70
Network
[Assign Buttons] has been added to the [Remote Play] menu.Video
Sequential playback of videos that are saved on the Memory Stick Duo media is now supported.http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/psp/guides/detail/item78468/

Themes look cool and finally i can play music and scroll through pics! Been waiting for that. Hey Tom ya got that wrong, about the next firmware being out the same day as the new PSP ;)

Question is do I want to upgrade blacky when he is just working on Pure again.

Asayyeah
11th September 2007, 08:13 PM
If the new psp includes 3.70 i am going to tell you quickly this saturday coming after buying one

Rapier Racer
11th September 2007, 08:39 PM
Well, maybe I'll beat you to it and get one for £70 on Friday :p Just kiddin not going to be getting one of those just yet, I want to see it first then decide which one of my current PSPs has to go. Will they have the new firmware? I mean these PSPs will have been produced a while ago surely.

mdhay
11th September 2007, 09:46 PM
do you know where if I can get any extra themes other than that original one?

infoxicated
11th September 2007, 10:12 PM
There are a couple of themes available on the japanese psp site - cookies and a pink one.

Neither of which are a patch on the WipEout one. ;)

Rapier Racer
11th September 2007, 10:23 PM
WIPEOUT ONE! oh oh I want it nooooooooowww! :hyper

borell
12th September 2007, 09:39 AM
Great news on the Wipeout theme!! :hyper :D :clap :+

Oh, and I read that version 3.71 of the firmware is coming in a couple of days.

Updated PS3 and PSP Firmware (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/09/11/updated-ps3-and-psp-firmware/) [playstation.com]

infoxicated
12th September 2007, 03:59 PM
Go get it:

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news/articles/detail/item78695/Make-it-yours/

:D

Asayyeah
12th September 2007, 04:28 PM
Thx Rob for sharing this :+

Flashback Jack
12th September 2007, 04:50 PM
I noticed nobody mentioned anything about the Wipeout theme at that site. Did you see it? :)

(sarcasm, naturally)

- F

Rapier Racer
12th September 2007, 06:49 PM
EDIT: Never mind the stupid question about the folder took a guess at creating one called THEME and there we have it. Looking gooooood :D

Tomahawk
12th September 2007, 08:08 PM
Hey Tom ya got that wrong, about the next firmware being out the same day as the new PSP ;)

Hmmm, seems like I was wrong... But at least you could call it a pretty good guess of me. :) Any experiences with online pure and the latest Firmware, yet? All packs working good, no noticeable problems?

Rapier Racer
13th September 2007, 07:14 PM
I'll post a little update in the other thread when I've given it a good testing, either tonight or tomorrow

EDIT: Actually you can forget the testing I've just discovered my black PSP doesn't load UMDs anymore :(

infoxicated
13th September 2007, 07:53 PM
Aw naw! :-

Bad luck mate.

Have you checked it's not the UMD's perspex pressing down on the disc?

That's the way my Wipeout Pure and Killzone Liberation UMD's went and I thought it was my PSP at the time.

mdhay
13th September 2007, 08:02 PM
offtopic///

that happened with my metal gear ac!d umd....
so I tried to fix that bit that says umd on it.. and it works fine, but it fell off(:()

/offtopic

stin
13th September 2007, 08:05 PM
Honestly, I don`t know what to say but you throw your psp off your hands in disgust!:o

I just don`t know what to say....

stevie;)

Rapier Racer
13th September 2007, 08:11 PM
Nah Foxy I'm pretty positive its the PSP I tried Sonic and Bomberman also no joy on old blackie, Pure loads as normal on white PSP, UMD drive door doesn't sit right on the black one must have been that time it bounced down the stairs taking its toll, RIP my black beauty :(

He will now become a big fancy MP3 player lol

Flashback Jack
13th September 2007, 08:33 PM
He will now become a big fancy MP3 player lol

Weeeeell..

- F

Mad-Ice
14th September 2007, 05:11 AM
That is really bad!! Good that you are taking this lightly. I was already surprise the first time when you told us that blackie had come down the stairs it was still working. It had been working for some time since then! Well I think you are thinking of buying a slim PSP isn't!? It is a good excuse.

Asayyeah
14th September 2007, 05:01 PM
Psp crashing on the floor, that has happenend to me several time with various psp. 1st time on kai my blackie felt on the floor hardly , screen frozen, UMD constantly loading with weird sound : during 2 days i cannie touch it and by luck? that has worked again.
Hope your black one will work soon in future.

Rapier Racer
14th September 2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah I was surprised to find it still worked after the trip down the stairs, it makes the funny noise when you put a UMD in alright. Now the question is do I trade in my white PSP to get the new slim one at a discounted price or just buy a new one outright, this is fate tempting me, my black baby stops working Thursday night, new PSP is out today, I got paid today lol!

Flashback Jack
14th September 2007, 07:03 PM
A dead UMD doesn't make for a PSP doorstop. It can be fixed. :)

- F

infoxicated
14th September 2007, 07:05 PM
Courtesy of Amazon, mine turned up just after 9am this morning! :D

It's ace - I love it already. I had to go to the nearest high street at lunchtime to post some stuff and I just stuck it in my jacket pocket so I could listen to music and it was like it wasn't there, compared to the weight of my old one.

The on/off switch is better, the d-pad is better, the analogue nub feels better, and I haven't even got the cables to try it on the TV yet, so that's going to be another bonus when I do get them.

Honestly, if the PSP had been like this the first time around I think it'd be neck & neck in sales with the Nintendo DS, because it's perfect.

I'm a happy customer. :+

Rapier Racer
14th September 2007, 07:14 PM
And theres foxy just adding to the huge urge to go get one lol. Who fixes them jack? I have the feeling that any game store I go to will just try to sell me a new one.

Flashback Jack
14th September 2007, 07:25 PM
I got my PSP Slim a few days ago (Triakis Silver). Feels like cardboard, but sturdy at the same point, paradox be damned. Haven't used it much though; waiting until the, ahem, right time.

- F

infoxicated
14th September 2007, 07:33 PM
And theres foxy just adding to the huge urge to go get one lol. Who fixes them jack? I have the feeling that any game store I go to will just try to sell me a new one.
I know someone at work (Nick Burcombe - the dude who did that flying car game that never caught on;) ) got a pair of them fixed by some company in Glasgow and it wasn't too pricey. I'll ask him for the details on Monday if you like.

Rapier Racer
14th September 2007, 07:46 PM
I'd very much appreciate that :+

Flying car game that never took off, lol!!!

rdmx
15th September 2007, 02:21 AM
Was that Quantum Redshift by any chance? (Nick)

mdhay
15th September 2007, 08:19 AM
I had a think about your situation...

I think the battery may be dying. That was what was happening to me, and I thought it was a physical(psp) error!

Medusa
15th September 2007, 04:07 PM
So how does 3.70 work on Kai? Any compatibility issues with older firmwares?

stin
15th September 2007, 05:00 PM
Mine is updated on two PSPs and looks everything in working order, did check on pure game and works fine!

Kai? Asa DID played it last night and everything is in working order, smoother and no lags.

I yet to be played so I will find it out eventually.

stevie:)

Asayyeah
15th September 2007, 06:45 PM
Correct Sir Stevie :)
No pb with uncompatibility , it runs perfectly.

Ala Rob & Jack , i am a lucky owner of a new slim psp :hyper , i tested it last night : this is pure bliss! As i said into kai topic i feel a bit uncomfortable with the Dpad when nose down or up but i ll get there eventually. The MS and UMD protection cover seem a bit cheap for me that's a mini reason why i took 2 more years of guaratee ( also because i ve broken 2 psp before :) )
Except that everything is better : screen ( a slight more contrast & brightness for me ), sound ( louder speakers), size, weight ,without talking of the whole features of the psp itself.

bakkufu
15th September 2007, 06:50 PM
just updated mine and its says 3.71...

Medusa
15th September 2007, 07:48 PM
Yes, mine is 3.71 also. My very first system update. No more 3.02 for me. No looking back with this update, wow. Along with that pretty WO theme, my PSP is born again. Very nice. Great changes.

(Apparently 3.70 on the N. American update showed a Playstation Spot icon, which is not available in this region, so that is part of the 3.71 update. I wonder what the rest of the reason was though.)

mdhay
15th September 2007, 07:57 PM
that playstation(R) spot is a mistake in the firmware, like being able to view authenticication information, then you couldn't in the next upgrade.

Rapier Racer
15th September 2007, 11:28 PM
I wondered what that was its on my black PSP

Use this feature when visiting a Playstation Spot, access the net for free using a PSP system download game demos play games blah blah.

That sounds like an OK feature how is it a mistake? :?

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 12:42 AM
Ala Rob & Jack , i am a lucky owner of a new slim psp..

Very nice. First thing I noticed with mine is the sensitivity on the d-pad seems raised. The Triakis turns like an AGSYS!

So what colour did you get?

- F

infoxicated
16th September 2007, 09:21 AM
That sounds like an OK feature how is it a mistake? :?
Like Medusa said, the PlayStation Spot logo was included in all regions, but it's not available in Northern America, so the later update was to remove it for those regions where it isn't required. Probably.

Fugly logo, anyway. ;)

As an aside, the new PSP has completely rescued Test Drive Unlimited for me - the game has a problem reading enough date from the UMD when you're going top speed in the fastest cars. With the UMD caching feature of the PSP2K I can go at full tilt in my McLaren F1 and not have to fret about the road loading in time! :D

Rapier Racer
16th September 2007, 11:31 AM
Any confirmation that the new PSP is running games, including Pure at 333? It's been suggested that it does and if the old PSP doesn't I feel a little disadvantaged.

lunar
16th September 2007, 11:41 AM
Sounds like it could be. Maybe it`s in the 3.71 firmware and will work on old PSPs also. Or maybe it requires the new hardware to do it, or maybe it`s not doing it at all! We need someone with a 3.71 new and and a 3.71 old fattie to test, I suppose.

btw all this new psp love is not what I want to hear! I had made my decision not to buy one, but it`s sounding so lovely...... :nod

Rapier Racer
16th September 2007, 12:10 PM
3.71 white fatty in my possession :nod I will now after some consideration not be buying the slim PSP either, I plan on buying a car before the end of the year and I can't really justify buying another PSP right now.

Asayyeah
16th September 2007, 01:56 PM
Good point RR, a car is one of the best way to have freedom sensation to go where you want to without any restriction ( no alcohol tho ;) )

Very nice. First thing I noticed with mine is the sensitivity on the d-pad seems raised. The Triakis turns like an AGSYS!

So what colour did you get?

- F
It's a black one : my 3rd one i paid ( actually owned 5 different psp since 2005 :beer )

Sounds like it could be. Maybe it`s in the 3.71 firmware and will work on old PSPs also. Or maybe it requires the new hardware to do it, or maybe it`s not doing it at all! We need someone with a 3.71 new and and a 3.71 old fattie to test, I suppose.:nod
I am going to put that 3.71 on pinkie and add special pink theme Rob suggested for Caroline ( ermm i knew he was suggesting it for me at 1st : cheecky blighter :robot )
I haven't tested too much the new slim one but my 1st opinion is the game runs as smooth as on my modded black psp ( 333), there's also a faster loading time gained for UMD. 30% / 40% quicker i think. More noticeable is time for loading a track in TT or going back to menu : whooosh :rock.
Pure should have been running at 333 when game launched 2 years ago : this is a completely different feeling running the game at 222 or 333...

I will check differences if they exist, Stephen, about the 2 psp at 3.71. ( ill make a 100 laps session of exostra : this is a pretty good test as i am regular on this track.

Sausehuhn
16th September 2007, 08:10 PM
Can anybody confirm that the component-cable for PSP-playing-on-TV is just compatible with HDTVs?
Cause that would suck.

Is there at least an adapter to connect it to a standard-TV?

borell
16th September 2007, 08:25 PM
No, it is not only compatible with HDTV.

What is needed is a TV that can deal with a progressive signal in Y'PbPr. This does not demand an HDTV per se. It rules out most SDTV, though. If you cannot use the signal in question, you need a device to convert the signal (an adapter is not enough for that).

Sausehuhn
16th September 2007, 09:25 PM
Cool stuff then -.-

What's that for a device? And how much does it cost?

_________
EDIT:

okay, so my DVD-Player has these component-thingies. The question is: how do I know if it's output or input if it's not noted on the player?

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 11:13 PM
The old PSP is fully capable of 333, it's just that the increased CPU speed isn't accessible through, ahem, standard means.

- F

Sausehuhn
17th September 2007, 05:46 AM
If I want to the new PSP with my VGA-Monitor, is something like this (http://www.thenerds.net/CABLES_TO_GO.Cables_To_Go_Sonicwave_BNC_Component_ Video_to_HD15_VGA_Breakout_Cable.40342.html?affid= 1&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=09-39492920-2&affid=3) also usable?

infoxicated
17th September 2007, 08:50 AM
The use of 33Mhz is firmware dependant - it has nothing to do with the version of the psp.

I believe they've all been capable of it for a while now, although it's only since August that developers have been allowed to max out to 333Mhz if they need it. What isn't allowed is wireless activity and 333Mhz at the same time because of the strain it puts on the battery.

lunar
17th September 2007, 09:09 AM
thanks for the info. We cannot afford to concede a competitive advantage online by having an old PSP ;) , but it sounds like this won`t be an issue due to 333 not working on wifi and therefore not working online anyway, and it being FW dependent in the first place.

@Max - looks like a good if pricey cable, and could sell me a new PSP if it does the job. The only solutions I found were fancy boxes costing about £1500. :o Could buy a 42 inch 1080P plasma for that, probably.

Mad-Ice
17th September 2007, 09:42 AM
Does this mean that the records we are going to make online will be less good then records being made in single player mode?!

If I understand correctly: the old and new psp will be running at 333mhz except when playing infrastructure or ad-hoc!? Then the psp will run at 222mhz? So no diffenrence between them?

Thanks in advance.

alterego
17th September 2007, 10:20 AM
Hi Borell, hi all.

No, it is not only compatible with HDTV.

What is needed is a TV that can deal with a progressive signal in Y'PbPr. This does not demand an HDTV per se. It rules out most SDTV, though. If you cannot use the signal in question, you need a device to convert the signal (an adapter is not enough for that).

I've the same prob......and i see carefully, full of hope, to my dvd recorder....

sometimes it has a component input ;)

if it is so...i use it like a bridge/down converter from psp to my old crt tv....;)

Read You Soon
CdRom

Asayyeah
17th September 2007, 04:52 PM
What isn't allowed is wireless activity and 333Mhz at the same time because of the strain it puts on the battery.

So that means no one ( old psp or slim owners) can run their games at 333 while playing in multiplayer even with new official Sony FW 3.71. But ...
2 things on this : there's a patch i added to my old black CS psp to let me play online at 333 : as i said months ago when playing with it there's like lines on your screen and from time to time like a mini lag : honestly that wasn't very playable on few tracks. but the 2nd point is i felt those mini lines and micro lag with the new slim one ( in a less way than the CS psp but still existing)...

infoxicated
15th October 2007, 09:59 AM
Here's a cool Neon theme that I found on some japanese website on Friday. So far I think it's the best non-official theme I've found. :)

Xupu
17th October 2007, 09:33 AM
Wow that is really awesome!

Lion
17th October 2007, 10:11 AM
is there a screenshot somewhere?

infoxicated
17th October 2007, 11:41 AM
Erm... I could take one with my psp camera, but that'd require some freaky **** with mirrors!

Task
17th October 2007, 12:34 PM
Indeed there is. On PSP-Themes.net! When did that website appear?
Quick work for whoever threw that up.
http://www.psp-themes.net/misc-themes/psp-neon-71-psp-theme.htm

Lion
17th October 2007, 06:17 PM
thanks!
useful site, and that theme does have a pretty cool icon set :)