PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Pilot

ZenDJiNN
2nd August 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone.

It's my first post, my first time with a PSP & my first time with "Pure". I have only just started with the PSP (A few days ago) and only bought it because of Pure. I started playing "Quantum Redshift" a few weeks ago (on the Xbox) and got completely hooked on Anti-Grav...... Started searching for some other games & came across Pure & the PSP...... And the rest is history! :)

I have played Pure for only a few days now and i'm really enjoying it, and have LOADS of questions..... (Which i shall save & ask a few at a time, for your sanity!) :)

So far i have only had a try at the most basic levels and have achieved 2 golds. Going on what i have experienced so far, i can't believe that some people make it all the way to the Top levels..... the speed seems impossible! :)

Anyway, i'll be hanging around & watching, playing & learning......

Dr. Angryman
2nd August 2007, 06:44 PM
WELCOME! So your a new player, eh? Well, hope you succeed on your WipEout adventures. :p It took me about seven months to get the Purist ranking.... Then I had to delete some of it to make room for Race Driver 2006. :frown: *sigh* At least I'm back up to Guru now....

HAVE FUN IN THE ZONE FORUMS ZENDJINN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Emoticons: :):beer:p:clap8):hyper:banzai:D:dizzy:g:nod:cowboy :pc

YAY!?

ZenDJiNN
2nd August 2007, 07:09 PM
Hey!! Thanks for that Angryman. "7 Months!!" .... Wow.... i've got some work to do then. :) Still, that's what it's all about & it's really enjoyable!!

I have a question..... When you win single player races (not Tournaments) do you get a ranking (or Golds) that go towards the total count or do you only get those from the Tournaments?

And if you're a Guru, can you be my Guru 2!? :) :)

Dr. Angryman
2nd August 2007, 07:12 PM
You get a medal on any mode, besides freeplay.... Imagine if you did win medals on freeplay. Gold for about ten hours on Modesto Heights! Hah!

q_dmc12
2nd August 2007, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the boards rookie :)

.... the speed seems impossible! :)

heh, hardly ;)

Task
2nd August 2007, 08:11 PM
Hi everyone.

I have played Pure for only a few days now and i'm really enjoying it, and have LOADS of questions..... (Which i shall save & ask a few at a time, for your sanity!) :)Greetings!
Only a few days! You're just starting to get into it. Once you're at Flash (the halfway point) it really gets awesome. I've only had it for two months but I've pretty much got the whole thing unlocked, so the job ahead of you isn't as enormous as it first appears. 8 )

As to your questions, I'll bet you'll find at least 80% of them already answered somewhere around here. I forsee heavy use of the "Search" function in your future!

ZenDJiNN
2nd August 2007, 11:31 PM
You get a medal on any mode, besides freeplay.... Imagine if you did win medals on freeplay. Gold for about ten hours on Modesto Heights! Hah!

Heehee...... I've found that out now & have started racing for Golds. Harder than it seems, but great fun..... Choosing the right ship is pretty hard too! :)

Welcome to the boards rookie :)

heh, hardly ;)

:) .... :g

Thanks... It's great to be here, and i'm having a great time with Wipeout.

Greetings!
Only a few days! You're just starting to get into it. Once you're at Flash (the halfway point) it really gets awesome. I've only had it for two months but I've pretty much got the whole thing unlocked, so the job ahead of you isn't as enormous as it first appears. 8 )

As to your questions, I'll bet you'll find at least 80% of them already answered somewhere around here. I forsee heavy use of the "Search" function in your future!

I think you could be right there Task.... :) Thanks for the Greetz..... Does it start to get unlocked just by racing & getting more Golds....? I've got about 9 now. (I know, a Paltry sum comparatively but growing by the hour!)

I'm off to do some searching & as much reading as poss while trying to win more races! :)

Thanks again......

zargz
2nd August 2007, 11:50 PM
welcome to the woz ZenDJiNN!
your enthusiasm for the game is admirable :D
take some time and read this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=20)!

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2007, 12:45 AM
Choosing the right ship is pretty hard too! :)

I've always felt that the best ship was either AG Systems or FEISAR. Which ship do you prefer?

ZenDJiNN
3rd August 2007, 01:36 AM
welcome to the woz ZenDJiNN!
your enthusiasm for the game is admirable :D
take some time and read this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=20)!

Hi zargz.... thanks for the greetz & the link. I'm reading fast & playing hard!! :)
(Or is that "Reading Hard & Playing Fast!?") :)

I've always felt that the best ship was either AG Systems or FEISAR. Which ship do you prefer?

Hmm, i don't know the names yet (Blush) but it's the third one down (i think) in the list.... the one with the double pointy bits sticking out at the front & kind of Purple in Colour! (If that makes sense?) :)

Some of the ships that i have tried have felt really cumbersome & slow.... and now that i have started using the nub instead of the D-Pad all sorts of things are changing.... It's certainly a Much faster way to play & more responsive..... I'm Loving it!! :)

It's almost four in the morning here & i should be going to sleep but i think there's still time for another few rounds! :)

q_dmc12
3rd August 2007, 02:17 AM
Ah, Qirex - "the flying brick"

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2007, 02:38 AM
I think the true flying brick in WipEout Pure is Triakis. Qirex is an all-rounder.

q_dmc12
3rd August 2007, 02:45 AM
true, guess qirex sold some parts to the triakis team:p

ZenDJiNN
3rd August 2007, 11:59 AM
I think the true flying brick in WipEout Pure is Triakis. Qirex is an all-rounder.

Heehee..... i'm so glad that you said that because that's pretty much the reason that i chose it.... it has pretty much everything balanced, & doesn't seem stronger in any one area. It seems to handle OK, although it's slow off the mark, but all in all i find it OK for a beginner.... i think. :)

The reason that i didn't chose one of the faster or better handling ships, is mainly because the more you get in terms of Thrust or speed etc, the more you lose in the "Shields" area, and as i seem to get a lot thrown at me, at this moment in time, "Shields" is a good option... :)

I'm definitely going to try out some more ships soon though..... any recommendations for a Rookie? :)

Task
3rd August 2007, 01:36 PM
I would definitely recommend: Qirex, Assegai, Tigron, Goteki.
The Qirex and Assegai are good "all rounders", Tigron is a shield 5 ship with no weakness, and Goteki is a thrust 5 ship with no weaknesses. So the Tigron is really good for the lower speed classes where you need all that shield because you're learning how to play. Goteki is good for the higher speed classes where you need a good ship to survive.

Dogg Thang
3rd August 2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I really grew to love Pure's Goteki. Initially I avoided it simply because I didn't like the ship design but then gave it a go a few times and it worked great all round. I also did a complete turnaround on the design and now really like it. It's a great ship.

ZenDJiNN
3rd August 2007, 02:24 PM
I would definitely recommend: Qirex, Assegai, Tigron, Goteki.
The Qirex and Assegai are good "all rounders", Tigron is a shield 5 ship with no weakness, and Goteki is a thrust 5 ship with no weaknesses. So the Tigron is really good for the lower speed classes where you need all that shield because you're learning how to play. Goteki is good for the higher speed classes where you need a good ship to survive.

Hi Task, thanks for the reply.

I have seen both the Qirex and Assegai but haven't seen the other two available, so i'm assuming that they are only available when they're unlocked? Or do they come under different names?

I'm amazed at just how different all the ships are. I didn't think i would like the "Two Pronged" ships but they are turning out to be (For me anyways) all round better performers & handlers than the straight or normal ships like the Feisar etc....

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2007, 02:31 PM
Tigron and Goteki are downloadable ships. You can download them via USB port on your PSP through WipEout Pure.com.

ZenDJiNN
3rd August 2007, 03:24 PM
Tigron and Goteki are downloadable ships. You can download them via USB port on your PSP through WipEout Pure.com.

Thanks for that .... Just going there now to have a look. I tried a few days ago but as i was using Linux at the time & the site is heavily Flash based, i couldn't get on. I'm using a Win machine now so i should be OK. :)

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2007, 10:58 PM
Personally, my favorite downloadable ship and circuit are Tigron and Staten Park, respectively. Tigron the only ship with a 5/5 sheild rating, without a loss in handling. And as for Staten Park.... It's just pretty! :g

Mad-Ice
5th August 2007, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the zone ZenDJiNN. As said before: admirable enthousiasm!!! Keep up unlocking everything and downloading everything to have the total Pure experience!!! :sonar

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome to the zone ZenDJiNN. As said before: admirable enthousiasm!!! Keep up unlocking everything and downloading everything to have the total Pure experience!!! :sonar

Hey, thanks Mad-Ice. I'm still going strong & having a blast. Just managed to download & play with some new ships, one of which is the "Tigron"?.... It's a great ship, really versatile craft. I'm getting better & faster by the day! :)

Dr. Angryman
5th August 2007, 03:42 PM
I have a bad feeling about this but, I think that the Tigron ship is one of the best-looking ships in the game also.... Can anyone agree with me on this? :?

phl0w
5th August 2007, 04:01 PM
No. :beer
It looks like a pipe with some wing-like thingies attached to it. Although I like its being built of a piece. Maybe that's why I adore Piranha that much, same monolithic construction. Can't deny that it's an awesome craft for tournaments, though. Especially for newcomers, great all-round ship, which I can't choose though, according to my self-imposed rule not to use ships from downloadable content :rock

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 05:59 PM
I have a bad feeling about this but, I think that the Tigron ship is one of the best-looking ships in the game also.... Can anyone agree with me on this? :?

Don't know about the best, but it certainly looks good, and handles well (For a beginner anyway) :) I'm also trying the Gorecki45 (I think that's the name) and that's really nice as well..... slower & more smooth than the Tigron, not as erratic if that makes sense?

I have to say that I also LOVE the "Classic Tracks".... They're really great!! All in all, i'm just having a blast! :)

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 06:01 PM
No. :beer
It looks like a pipe with some wing-like thingies attached to it. Although I like its being built of a piece. Maybe that's why I adore Piranha that much, same monolithic construction. Can't deny that it's an awesome craft for tournaments, though. Especially for newcomers, great all-round ship, which I can't choose though, according to my self-imposed rule not to use ships from downloadable content :rock

While i respect your self imposed rule, do you mind if i ask "Why" you have imposed such a rule?

Personally (& again, please excuse the ignorance of a rookie) i feel that the more choice the better, in everything. :g

phl0w
5th August 2007, 06:28 PM
Because I am paranoid and see conspiracy everywhere ^^ No, it's just since I don't know any raw dates of them ships you can never be sure if they are balanced. Look at those stats, like Puma. They add up to much more than the default ships'. Anyway, it's "Goteki45" btw, awesome ship from WO3. What you describe as less erratic is only partly true. Goteki is not glued to the surface like many other ships, resulting in a floatier feeling (maybe WO3's legacy?) and it handles like a dream in skilled hands. It's many peoples' favourite ship.

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 07:06 PM
I haven't got that much into it yet that i know the different teams etc, but i'm sure that i will given enough time. :) I'm not really sure what you mean by the Stats of Puma.... (Sounds like a Place in Turkey or somesuch) ...... Could you elaborate on that for the rookie. :)
Aaah, Goteki45.... yeah, thanks for that. I'm still trying to get used to all the names of the circuits & ships & teams etc. Well, i like it.... it seems to "Flow" through the air as opposed to some of the others which seem somewhat "Skittish".... the "Pirahna" for instance.... seems fairly quick (Remember, we're still basically talking Vector level here) and i guess you could call that "Responsive" maybe, but it seems to flick around all over the place (At least in my inexperienced hands it does....) :)

phl0w
5th August 2007, 07:26 PM
Puma1+2 are two of the downloadable teams that feature ridiculous livery in in the design of the "Puma" sports wear brand.

the "Pirahna" for instance.... seems fairly quick (...) "Responsive" maybe, but it seems to flick around all over the place

Are you sure we're talking about the Piranha here? Sure it's "fast as lightening" but responsive? This beast can't corner without heavy use of airbrakes and sideshifts, let alone changes lines quickly on a straight :p However when controlled properly it is the most stable of the pack and you can really feel its huge inertia on long, sweeping tracks, crushing your opponents with ease on all tracks/ classes. Excellent ship to get used to airbraking (the sooner the better!) since it requires their usage even on the slowest classes.

supersocks
5th August 2007, 07:31 PM
Not very fond of FX300 Goteki45 look-wise. It's nowhere near as elegant as it's F7200 debut model. But it races nice and I can tolerate the unrealistic design because of my loyalty to the team. *self-irony*

And oh. Welcome, welcome. There's plenty of space for another pilot! Is there? Then let's move outside. PSPs won't overheat in chilly night. 8)

*Insert AG-Systems 2116 season slogan here*

Pirahna

And it's Piranha... or Pirhana. Confusing enough? ;)

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 10:31 PM
Are you sure we're talking about the Piranha here?.

It may well be another ship..... I'm still getting used to the names etc. I thought it was the Piranha but i could easily be mistaken at this point in time. :) Give me a few more weeks or maybe a month or so, and i'll have a better grasp of the names. At the moment i remember them more by shape & colour. :)

As for airbraking, i've been trying that out all weekend... it's coming along nicely & really makes a big difference to lap times & how i'm racing. Thanks again for the tip. :)

Welcome, welcome. There's plenty of space for another pilot! Is there? Then let's move outside. PSPs won't overheat in chilly night. 8)

Hi supersocks.... thanks for the welcome. I've not really been playing long at all.... perhaps a week or so at most, but i did have the chance to get some practice in for Wipeout playing Quantum Redshift on the xbox.

As for ships.... still don't know the difference yet, and the same goes for the teams & circuits. In fact, if you asked me to name the circuits i couldn't yet.... but i'll get there.

I still don't quite get how the whole team/ship thing is structured, but i'm sure that will come in time as well. I'm just playing as much as i can, getting golds, winning races & tournaments, and having probably the best time i've had in years..... it's awesome!! :)

And i'm definitely gonna get Pulse when it's released. :)

phl0w
5th August 2007, 10:50 PM
I still don't quite get how the whole team/ship thing is structuredFor starters this is a good read: WipEout Teams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wipeout_teams)

And of course Pure's official homepage (http://www.wipeoutpure.com/) (look under "Game Info"), where you can find loads of Pure trivia to teams, tracks, history, ... in awesome presentation! (craft specifications are faulty though, although they may indicate Triakis' real handling ;) )

ZenDJiNN
5th August 2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks ever so much for those links phl0w..... just going to have a look right now, and right after i have just won my FIRST Venom Class race at Vineta K!! First time as well.... :rock :g :rock

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 12:11 AM
Huzzah's are in order!

Huzzah....

Come on, I can do better than that....

HUZZAH!

That's better! Cheers for winning your first race on Venom! :beer

ZenDJiNN
6th August 2007, 01:45 AM
:beer :g

Thanks for that HUGE Huzzah!! :) i'm really pleased. I can't get enough of it, and play every opportunity i can get, and i really LOVE some of the old CLASSIC tracks, especially the RED one (Whatever it's called) :)

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 02:04 AM
i really LOVE some of the old CLASSIC tracks, especially the RED one (Whatever it's called) :)

You mean Altima VII?

stin
6th August 2007, 07:18 AM
Hi, if you don`t mind and can you stop quoting everytime you reply, just put their names down then we will know.;)

stevie

Edit# Quote only that part of a post that you are replying to. If you reply to the post that is just ahead of your reply, do not quote at all, unless the replied-to post is very large, and you are commenting only on a small part of it, and you need to quote in order to make clear what you are commenting on. The purpose of these quotation rules is to avoid confusing clutter on the page so that it can be more quickly and easily read.
[added to the guide by Lance]

ZenDJiNN
6th August 2007, 12:33 PM
You mean Altima VII?

It could well be. (Wasn't Altima VII a game in & of itself many years ago?... the name rings a bell) Anyway, it's almost like racing on a red carpet.... great fun! :)

Hi, if you don`t mind and can you stop quoting everytime you reply, just put their names down then we will know.;)

Was that meant for me? If so, yeah, no problem. I thought i was doing OK with the quoting, but i can par it down to almost nothing if it's a problem. :)

Thanks for the tip.

q_dmc12
6th August 2007, 12:45 PM
Altima was one of the tracks from the first wipeout

ZenDJiNN
6th August 2007, 02:05 PM
Gotcha. I don't think i ever played any of the previous Wipeouts. But it certainly looks really good on the PSP. Strange, but good. I really like the Classic tracks, lots of jumps and long sweeps.... :)

supersocks
6th August 2007, 03:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_7

ZenDJiNN
6th August 2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks supersocks..... That was one of the games i was thinking of (I remember playing the Ultima games... great fun) but it was something else, and i think it was "Altair" for the Atari ST.