PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Online...

Sven
15th June 2002, 05:35 PM
Has anyone heard about the possibility of a Wipeout Online game? I saw a comment about it in a gamers.com (http://www.gamers.com) interveiw with Rob Francis. On page 2 of the interveiw (http://www.gamers.com/feature/wipeout/ss02.jsp), second question down, he comments that he would "love to do another Wipeout game, especially a full online game!" This got me very excited and all but confirmed that there will be a Wipeout game with online competition sometime in the forseeable future. With any luck, it'll only take 1 year to do this time because they already have the base game made.

rhys
15th June 2002, 05:43 PM
that would be so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

*drool*

Lance
15th June 2002, 06:14 PM
i never take ''all but confirmed'' status seriously, concerning any subject whatever, but most particularly when they're talking about videogames, which often vaporise repeatedly

rhys
15th June 2002, 06:17 PM
just like the release dates for the us fusion did :(

Sven
15th June 2002, 06:37 PM
maybe, but in any case, it gives me more hope for such a product than I had before.

infoxicated
15th June 2002, 08:24 PM
There is no further work being done on Wipeout Fusion by Studio Liverpool - the series is being given a bit of a rest and I don't believe we'll see another one for a long while yet.

Rob Francis has told me before that he would have loved to make an online version of the game, but by the same token, Rob's idea of what AG racing is (i.e. Wipeout Fusion) is completely different from mine (i.e. Wipeout 3). But I suspect Wipeout Fusion will be the last Wipeout game that Rob has anything to do with, anyhow - so his words in that interview should not really be taken as an indication of another sequel being in the works. There isn't one planned at the moment.

Granted, the game could be a phenomenal success in the NTSC territories and change the whole landscape - but it's never really been loved there the same way it has been in PAL territories, sadly.

Lance
16th June 2002, 12:38 AM
it's been loved intensely, just not as numerously as i wish.
look how long it's taken to rev up the competition in the NTSC times tables. but we're on a bit of a roll now

auricom
17th June 2002, 02:47 PM
Wipeout online is a good idea but it would need a perfect transmission : lags would make it unplayable. so an infrastructure with a lot of servers with massive broadband online players, i think that's science-fiction :(

Sven
17th June 2002, 03:04 PM
You'd be surprised how little lag you get on a good broadband connection.

Nathan Adams
18th June 2002, 05:58 AM
you obviously dont read the 2097 board!

ok, its not online play - but the osX release of 2097 will have network play - which makes it a fantastic game to load onto all the macs at uni or work :D
plus - zero lag then (which for a game with split second timing like wipeout is needed - 'not much' lag doesnt cut it)

Wamdue
18th June 2002, 11:02 AM
microsoft and sony are building some pretty impressive servers for their ps2 online and xbox online services , I belive they can handle the lag , these services will include features like, you demand a certain ping criteria and it shows you games for you to join , i mean, 30ping in wipeout would be allright.

Mator
18th June 2002, 11:43 AM
:Cought:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbsmegacitybulletinboard. showMessage?topicID=187.topic

Rachel Johnson
18th June 2002, 01:05 PM
WOOOOOAH!

An online wip...crap, i gotta find out if its true!!!
Me and my bro were moaning cuz they didn't have an online WipEout game.

FoxZero
18th June 2002, 08:39 PM
ok, its not online play - but the osX release of 2097 will have network play - which makes it a fantastic game to load onto all the macs at uni or work
hopefully the osx version will have fixed the control issues that occured in the pc version ( at least when i tried it online with this computer it had some ). i believe it was a direct x issue, it might not even be an issue on a lan but there is not one pilot around where i live, and no one else that would help me test and see if that was the case. :(

Consortium
22nd June 2002, 10:57 PM
Well, as someone who is running Wipeout 2097 in OS X (10.1.5) I can say that I have never had the multiplayer option come up as available. It works fine on OS 9, but I've had no luck on X. There are a few other anomalies, although generally the game runs smooth as silk. I am going to drop a note to VP Ltd. on Monday and see what they have to say about it.

Oh yes - the OS X patch documention states that "the in-game screenshot function is now working", but there is no information anywhere on how to actually activate it. I could mess about with different key combos, but I seem pathologically unable to stop racing the ship in order to do so!

:-)

c.

ps - I can't get my fiancé to try multiplayer with me... she says the game "makes her feel like throwing up"... she's a Tropico girl... oh, well...

Sven
22nd June 2002, 11:38 PM
I would recommend the shift-command-3 combo, but that would mean taking your hands away from the crutial controls....