PDA

View Full Version : Next generation anti-gravity racing...ideas for the future of WipEout...

cybrpnk
5th May 2007, 09:33 PM
Hey all...so...it's more than obvious now that the next WipEout will be Pulse for the PSP which is the perfect handheld for the perfect game...

I don't know how concrete WipEout for PS3 is, but here's hoping Studio Liverpool is working hard at meeting the fans cries for a true next generation anti gravity racing experience...ie...online racing AND viewing, online competitions, leagues maybe even gran prixes, customizable ships (decals), pilot avatars, graphics, music, tracks, updatable and downloadable content...etc...

But...what about the controls???

WipEout has had a perfect run with controls. For without controls, WipEout would cease to exist with its perfect gameplay and whatnot. Just a suggestiong...seeing that it's next generational stuff, maybe for the old schoolers, SL could keep the old control scheme, 1 button for accelerate, 1 button of weapon deployment, 1 button for weapon absorption, 2 buttons for airbrakes, stick or d-pad to steer and pitch...

However, with the possibilities of the new SIXAXIS, this could be a good opportunity to implement a new control scheme to hopefully slowly transform the way in which WipEout is played...(this would be optional of course so that old schoolers can slowly learn it or have the option of sticking to old controls)

Forward and back pitch - SIXAXIS forward or back tilt

Left and right tilt - SIXAXIS left and right tilt (partially tilt craft left or right maybe 30 degrees to avoid missiles in the last minute or something like that...timing would be key here otherwise, everyone will be flying on a 30 degree tilt)

Acceleration - push both analogue sticks forward

Airbrake left - pull left analogue stick back

Airbrake right - pull right analogue stick back

Absolute brake - pull both analogue sticks back

Weapon deployment - right trigger

Weapon absoprtion - left trigger

(maybe even a possibility of the ability to carry/activate 2 weapons (Rollcage style) and deploy them independently...right trigger R2 for weapon 1, left trigger L2 for weapon 2) - this option would make absoprtion right R1 and absoprtion left L1)

This would then free up d-pad and the conventional buttons for maybe other cool things...maybe...

cool vision effects like...

heat vision - x

emf vision - triangle

night vision - o

some other cool vision effect - square (maybe even VR vision or neon vision...Tron style)

(this could be played out in tunnels with no lighting...you'd be flying at 800kmh and suddenly it's pitch black in from of you...press o and activate night vision and the whole screen 'lights up' with the track being drawn out in cool lines and colours)...a good opportunity to play with lighting on tracks...

that's about all my ideas for now...lol...a bit long...

off to work...

O...and a possible name for a PS3 WipEout???

WipEout zeN

(kinda referring to the zen-like state of mind you'd have to achieve when travelling at probably new top speeds of 2000kmh???...lol...prepare for brain-melting, retinal fusing stuff)

andy
6th May 2007, 08:49 PM
I love the idea of using the sixaxis for pitch control and emergency manouvers. I prefer the traditional X is go, ▀ is weapon, O to drop or absorb etc. I'd use the right analogue for looking around the ship ace combat style and that could free up ▲ for the special camera effects that you could scroll through - love the idea of emf vision (could be useful with these new maglock sections with a cool heat haze effect ;)). Also, with a proper controller, I'd love to see the classic handling come back with the hovercraft powerslide air brakes.

_Ti__
7th May 2007, 02:21 AM
some interesting ideas you have ... when you say "push both analogue sticks forward" to accelerate, you mean like in Star Wars: Racer Revenge? that was fun, but I dont think it would fit Wipeout very well, its not very intuitive. My controls would be something like:

SIXAXIS for normal turning and pitch

Acceleration - push left analogue stick forward

Airbrake left - L2

Airbrake right - R2

Weapon - R1 or X

Weapon drop - L1 or ▀

Camera "ace combat style" :D right analogue stick

Rear view - R3

etc...

but I hope the controls are fully customizable
also, I hope it have a floating feelling, like in the first games, and the classic handbrakes too!

G'Kyl
8th May 2007, 08:37 PM
About SIXAXIS control: I'm not sure this is a good idea. Simply because I can't resist the feeling the input is lagging juuuust a little behind the actual tilt. If so... not a good idea for a fast racing game. ;) I'd rather do without. Apart from that, I guess Ti is right, the controls are going to be customizable again.

Ben

WizzyWig
10th May 2007, 07:08 PM
I don't know about the gameplay but regarding the soundtrack, I would like to see Pendulum make an appearance. :rock

foxbat555
11th May 2007, 08:16 AM
thats a great idea.
But, and I hate to be a party pooper, but,,, lol
When I come home from work, I dont have any energy left to move around!
I just want to sit back, load in a game and play while relaxing feet up on the coffee table and not deal with any extra movements,,, not that i dislike the idea, but I would play mostly with the standard controls.
And the main thing I'm interested in is infrastructure gameplay so that I can race against say YOU, or JIMMY or BOBBY or BILLY,,,,, over there, lol.

Foxbat

andy
11th May 2007, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna guess that all future wipEout games will include infrastructure multiplayer mode. Pulse has it. There is no reason why it wouldnt have it on the ps3. So you're in luck foxbat.

I personally don't want to see the controls move too far away from that of the classics. My perfect wipeout would have to have wip3out style controls and handling but with ▀ and O swapped around like in pure so I dont start getting confused when I switch between the two games.

q_dmc12
11th May 2007, 10:51 PM
You know that you can change pure's controls, right? - I mapped pure's control scheme to wipeout 3. :D

Chill
21st May 2007, 05:00 AM
:D Me too. :D Wipeout 3 controls have also been my favorite. Including physics, any many of it's unique weapons that should've all been carried on.

In a Wipeout for the PS3, I believe that the option of watching other races being done online would be nice. Not having to race yet still being able to watch the action, and the racer's being notified that they're being watched by however many, sweet stuff...

q_dmc12
21st May 2007, 01:35 PM
ah, a spectator mode (i use the term 'mode' losely), kinda like in socom:+

mdhay
23rd May 2007, 08:31 PM
my controls would also be like wo3 but 6-axis would be like changing weapon categories?Things like offence,defence,deterrance and repair.So you could pick up loads of weapons at once?If it[-^] sounds mental, I agree with what has been typed in my post.

q_dmc12
23rd May 2007, 11:45 PM
what game does that remind me of..? *intense contemplation*

mdhay
24th May 2007, 02:42 PM
that is wierd,I made the idea off the top of my head.

q_dmc12
28th May 2007, 01:26 AM
....*end of contemplation* sounds like a bunch games meshed together..

mdhay
28th May 2007, 06:55 AM
It just came to me with the force wall,the gravstinger,splitter bomb,and disruptor bolt. And I always thought that there could have been a weapon just for repair,especially in pure.

q_dmc12
29th May 2007, 01:42 AM
absorb seems to fit the bill pretty well though..

DawnFireDragoon
25th June 2007, 10:26 PM
i'd really like up to four player split screen racing. maybe a track editor too. :)

Mad-Ice
29th June 2007, 10:36 AM
Today I was racing again in Single Race and one idea came up when I was racing in first position with an AI ship close behind me. It would be great if there were two different weapon pads next to each other instead of one flickering between colours. One for picking up things to attack opponents in front and one for picking up things to defend your back. For example in front: missles, rockets, plasmas, quakes and back: mines, bombs, shields, rear locking missles.
Autopilot and turbos could be picked up on both. This would certainly increase the strategy level of the game and giving it less of a lottery level.

These pads could be of different colours, for example one green for defends and one red for attacks and be situated on different racing lines like attacking weapons on the fastest racing line and defending weapons on the slowest racing line.

This way the one that is in first position has to choose between going fast all the time but not being able to defend his back, or going a little slower but being able to defend his back.

What do you think about this?

lunar
29th June 2007, 11:55 AM
the problem would be that bombs and mines are pretty easy to use effectively, and if the leader could always pick up a supply of them the gameplay could get a bit predictable and annoying. You would have to beef up the forward weapons, and then that might have bad effects.

I think I read in one of the Pulse interviews with Colin that they slightly toned down the effectiveness or frequency of backward weapons in Pulse, which needed to be done. I think as soon as you start to abandon the lottery system you start to weight the game in one direction and risk unbalancing it, but maybe what you suggest could work well for the eliminator mode - where the whole idea is to create carnage. :cold

Mad-Ice
29th June 2007, 12:24 PM
Mmm, I think you are right. It might unbalance the game and that is one thing we don't need. Good idea about implementing this in eliminator mode.

Chill
29th June 2007, 04:15 PM
I think their should be an Eliminator mode. :D

G'Kyl
3rd July 2007, 06:05 PM
There is. Eliminator is back in Pulse and it improves weapon power over regular modes.

Ben

Chill
3rd July 2007, 07:09 PM
Sweet!!! I didn't know that. Sorry... :D

Dr. Angryman
13th July 2007, 05:13 PM
Eliminator will be awesome! :hyper

I have a strange idea. What about a Zone mode with an entire grid of pilots and weapons! Ships will be exploding EVERYWHERE! :o

Anyone up for Zone Destruction? :bomb

rdmx
14th July 2007, 03:24 AM
That's what ASA, DMC, etc do on Kai - All Zone, Flash Class, make it to the end in one piece! Let the quakings commence!

Dr. Angryman
14th July 2007, 01:51 PM
I'm not just talking about Zone ships, my friend! I'm talking about a race where the speed continually increases. Unlimited laps, just don't die before anyone else! Kinda like Zone Eliminator. 8)

rdmx
14th July 2007, 02:06 PM
Studio Liverpool, make Zone Eliminator a game mode now! :D

Mad-Ice
15th July 2007, 12:10 PM
YES, I really like that idea!!!8)

Mark Of Insanity
16th July 2007, 06:32 PM
I agree with the demands for a Zone Eliminator mode!

:hyper

Must...

Have...

Dr. Angryman
16th July 2007, 07:02 PM
It looks like my idea has potential after all! I didn't think everyone would like this! :hyper

RingoSpoon
24th July 2007, 07:21 PM
This thread contains too many jumpy wee men :)

Heres an idea for the next generation of Wipeout....and it involves a simple download....and a fusion of game modes.

The ghost ship we all know and love is implemented into online multiplayer. It is now implemented either per lap or the whole race. Of course ... multiple ghosts are selectable.

By default the fastest in the world by default would download, but you could also choose to have your buddys ghost racing with you, or the best in the country, region etc - After each race, times are compared with the current fastest, and if a new time is acheived it is automatically uploaded. That would be sweet :)

Dr. Angryman
25th July 2007, 08:20 PM
This thread contains too many jumpy wee men :)

What do you mean by that? I hope you don't mean me! :frown:

As for your idea, nice if you like time trials, but I'm more of a racer. Good idea though. :nod

RingoSpoon
26th July 2007, 07:04 PM
The ghost would be a race ghost - not a TT ghost bro. You would be able to see the ghost being hit etc as weapons are of course turned on :)

Not only would you be racing the rest of the online pack - but the ghost as well. Therefore both racing and TT is combined into one :)

Dr. Angryman
26th July 2007, 07:06 PM
Oh, I get it now...but it still doesn't interest me. Not that it's a bad idea, it's just I wouldn't use it.

Airrider
26th July 2007, 08:23 PM
How about adding a little incentive, then?

How about rewarding beating some of these weird ghosts with new teams or racers, like they do in Ridge Racer?

Of course, they won't be unbalanced in terms of power and speed like the Car Class system in Ridge Racer, but you know what I mean.

Dr. Angryman
27th July 2007, 02:27 AM
I love unlocking teams! :p

swift killer
2nd August 2007, 12:59 PM
ok, its time for the AG Psychopath to state his vision...

1 - SIXAXIS could be used to aim non-lockon weapons like rockets and plasma bolts (good riddance of the distruption volt!)
2 - bring back the ability to fire backwards, having said that, i still did the occasional u-turn to fire a quake the wrong way :g
3 - use the rollcage style two weapons system, use L2+R2 for the air brakes, for weapons use;
L1 - drop left weapon
L3 - aim/fire left weapon
R1 - drop right weapon
R3 - aim/fire right weapon
the L3+R3 joystick can be used to aim non-locking weapons, weapons pads will be split in half to facilitate this system.
4 - destructable environments which effects the race e.i. new obstickles or a loop collapses to create a jump, but elimitating those caught in the collapse.
5 - bring back all teams except G.tech, i want to see EG.r back because i liked the 'not from this planet' theme & xios with ship that doesnt look like a :turd
6 - AI reflects the storyline of each team, Tigron - battering ram, Omar Khumala-esq, Goteki 45 - destructive menace, Auricom - believes in pure racing, Qirex - bullies its way through the field, EG.r - what on earth!!!
7 - bring back super weapons, but only on the final lap/higher classes
8 - use the teleport weapon from rollcage 2
9 - the capicity for accidents to happen, i.e. barrel rolls and pile ups, but not common, have ships explode and barrel roll when eliminated and then be picked up by the rescue drones
10 - larger field of ships = more action, but only in higher classes so it isnt over-used

Dr. Angryman
2nd August 2007, 01:26 PM
I'm not much a fan of the SIXAXIS lock-on. I almost always hit someone with a rocket when I fire them, and half the time I hit someone with a plasma on Wip3out. I love the "CONTENDER ELIMINATED!" ;)

swift killer
2nd August 2007, 01:37 PM
what you recon about my ideas though?

phl0w
2nd August 2007, 04:11 PM
I think your ideas fit to the less hardcore racing games, like your mentioned Rollcage, which you obviously love ;) Or other racers that concentrate on that aspects.

Most of the stuff would, in my opinion, add too many mechanics which- as interesting and fun as they may seem at first glance- distract from the one and only thing WipEout is there for in the long run: pure-bred racing.
When all is said and done (read: everything's unlocked and the game beaten) it's when WO starts to really shine and leave the competition behind: mastering a handful of simple mechanics without worrying about "randomness" or abundance of possibilities that can stiffle your efforts. I think that simple mechanics lead to far more variety in the hands of talented racers and leaves more freedom than tangible and detailed mechanics that crop the gameplay as in determinating it in one way or another.
Maybe that's why I like racing games like WO, F-Zero or Ridge Racer so much: Easy to learn hard to master. I don't want hardcoded stuff that takes control away for me, even if it's for seconds, but want the game to put responsibility for anything that's going on on me, and my hands, for that matter.
As I said the most variety lies in the simplest principles.

Airrider
3rd August 2007, 01:39 AM
Very true. I mean, think about the litany of techniques that revolve around simple-to-learn games like Puyo Puyo.

I mean, destructible environments and different, accidents, more and more AI nuances...

Sure, I wish AI would be changed up a bit so we don't have rubber-banding and the only really frenzied action at the first half of the first lap, and maybe more teams. WipEout's soul is something very simple and pure: racing on air and at the ragged edge between glory and catastrophe.

swift killer
3rd August 2007, 09:26 AM
what i meant was, have the old wipeout fusion tracks as 'boss' tracks where the difficulty goes through the roof.
have the destructable environments ONLY on the boss tracks. the reason i say use the wipeout fusion tracks is because it ties in with the storyline, the fall of f9000 and so on.
for example, the storyline says 'temtesh bay disaster' 6 killed and others trapped when the mine section collapsed;
have this mining section either in a wrecked/excavated status where you can see the ship wreckages which also act as hazards.
other f9000 tracks can tie in with the riots which happen, refer to my idea in the forum about the tracks, i told infoxicated about this idea and he thinks its brilliant.

save the destruction for the later stages of the game, or as 'boss' levels, infoxicated recons it would make an excellent new game mode

infoxicated
3rd August 2007, 12:09 PM
save the destruction for the later stages of the game, or as 'boss' levels, infoxicated recons it would make an excellent new game mode
When did I ever say that?

Colin Berry
3rd August 2007, 12:23 PM
A lot of those ideas seem very weapon orientated and currently thats a different direction to how we are progressing the game with Pure - Pulse - HD

Actually without wanting to sound harsh and I hope I dont, but as its something that crops up now and again both here and in the office, despite being an advocate at the time, I actually think backwards firing weapons in Fusion turned out to be one of the least successful design decisions in Wipeout History. :)

Hellfire_WZ
3rd August 2007, 01:13 PM
Definitely agree with that. I've literally just had a bash on Fusion again and with the majority of weapons being able to fire backwards or having some effect on opponents to the rear, it really makes it very difficult for others to catch you in the lead as you can just unleash a rear shitstorm with everything you pick up. The best use of rear weapons I feel was Wip3out, where only the mines could be fired backwards. I'm quite glad that the bomb was the only one in Pure that was added to the rear-firing line-up.

zargz
3rd August 2007, 02:08 PM
Amen to that! :)

lunar
3rd August 2007, 02:54 PM
As I said the most variety lies in the simplest principles.

I agree it often does. Nice post.

A lot of those ideas seem very weapon orientated and currently thats a different direction to how we are progressing the game with Pure - Pulse - HD

Music to my ears. If people want massive violence there are plenty of games for that.

Dr. Angryman
3rd August 2007, 03:04 PM
I think the original WipEout was so great because weapons were, for the lack of a better word, helpers. I mean, games like Fatal Inertia are going to be violence, violence, and more violence. WipEout is kinda like violence, but make sure you don't hit the wall after exiting the corner, and don't use the boost on that hairpin, use it on the jump, and make sure you barrel roll because if you don't.... And the cycle continues. I'm interested in Fatal Inertia, but not as psyched about when compared to WipEout. You know what happens when you hit the ground in Fatal Inertia? You bounce off. That's all. The game is focused on combat. WipEout is focused on combat racing. The same formula that made WipEout a system seller for the PS1, is making sony shine today, over ten years after it's first release. Which is why WipEout is a great franchise.

swift killer
6th August 2007, 08:03 AM
Actually without wanting to sound harsh and I hope I dont, but as its something that crops up now and again both here and in the office, despite being an advocate at the time, I actually think backwards firing weapons in Fusion turned out to be one of the least successful design decisions in Wipeout History. :)

restrict it to certain weapons, but what i liked about wipeout fusions weapons is that you could be a bastard to your mates in multiplayer, lol, :turd shitstorm indeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! :turd

i would like to see the superweapons back in the later stages of the games, except for that laim excuse for a fart called the Biosnare, my personal faves were pirhana's kamekazi and EG.R's power swarm

the weapon orrientation (i.e. destructive environments and boss tracks) can be used to target the wider audience with wipeout, but to keep whiley old veterans of the game like us happy, have the ability to turn such features off without having an effect on game completion rating, also, how about being able to use our zone accounts in the game? and have forum exclusive add ons?

When did I ever say that?

sorry, i misstyped, i meant to refer to a private msg from angryman

Mark Of Insanity
6th August 2007, 10:46 AM
I think you're missing what they're saying...

Basically, the majority of Fusion players felt that there were too many weapons/weapons played too large a role. Considering Fusion is the black sheep in the Wipeout series (64 is alright, really!), I doubt SL will want to draw from it's least succesful elements.

Now it's on to my opinion... and that is this -
I am getting a feeling that your influences from Fusion are strong.
That's not a bad thing, there are quite a few people who like Fusion in general.
But I would like to recommend to you the beauties that are WO1 and Wipeout 3: SE. If you own them already, start playing! :)

What I mean to say by all that is that people here might be generally less interested in elements that relate to Fusion's weapons than they would be to say, bringing back Elimination Mode from W30.
Er. That's it I think.

phl0w
6th August 2007, 11:16 AM
to target the wider audience with wipeout, but to keep whiley old veterans of the game like us happyIt's a delicate thing to balance a game to make it accessible to a wider audience, yet don't repel the veteran. And definitely not as easy as having some options that switch between "casual" and "hardcore" gamer mechanics.

and have forum exclusive add ons?That this forum is a cultivated, friendly place, with the occasional appearance of people "in charge", doesn't make it elitist in any way. It's a rare and secluded place on the net for sure, but that's pretty much how message boards should function. Sadly enough boards like this have become an endangered species.

what i liked about wipeout fusions weapons is that you could be a bastard to your mates in multiplayerThere are loads of games that provide an abundance of destructive weapons to wreak some serious multiplayer havoc. Usually those weapons are completely unbalanced, random and require no skill whatsoever, leading to a game that gets tedious and just plain bothersome at some point, stalling serious multiplayer gaming as a result. WipEout fortunately is not one of them. There are lots of fine weapons (maybe the disruption bolt being the one and only useless) that make the game fun and more important keep it competitive without frustrating players over other things than their own skill.
I don't know about you, but I enjoy eliminating an opponent, friend for that matter, much more with a precisely aimed plasma or by side-shifting them off sol2 than by just hitting a button and all hell breaks loose (add some menacing yet generic looking visuals here). Usually followed by that: :clap:beer and not: :?

swift killer
6th August 2007, 12:51 PM
I think you're missing what they're saying...

Basically, the majority of Fusion players felt that there were too many weapons/weapons played too large a role. Considering Fusion is the black sheep in the Wipeout series (64 is alright, really!), I doubt SL will want to draw from it's least succesful elements.

Now it's on to my opinion... and that is this -
I am getting a feeling that your influences from Fusion are strong.
That's not a bad thing, there are quite a few people who like Fusion in general.
But I would like to recommend to you the beauties that are WO1 and Wipeout 3: SE. If you own them already, start playing! :)

What I mean to say by all that is that people here might be generally less interested in elements that relate to Fusion's weapons than they would be to say, bringing back Elimination Mode from W30.
Er. That's it I think.

thats why im sayin to restrict it to a certain level so it doesnt become a fiasco like Fusion, i liked Fusion more because it create the illusion of being a motorsport, i think the weapons where OVER emphasised and the super weapons became available too easily, i did love the track designs but hated the absense of designers republic. i think most will agree that WO3 SE is the best game in the series, what i would really love is a WO anthology, letting you play through the timeline with next gen graphics!

*how is being unbiased a negative :S:S:S

-- ---------------------

i would like to see an indian AG team, lol, but without the stereotyping

the next game could allow players to play the previous incarnations of WipeOut like with Tekken's Arcade History mode, i personally would like to see tracks like the ones in WipeOut Fusion and the last two tracks in 2097, Vostok Island and Spilskinanke

also, as soon as you fire a weapon and it hits its target, you can view a replay by pressing whatever button, the replay will follow the missile/rocket/plasma to the target and show the ensueing impact on the other ship and then go back to where you were in gameplay, perfect for gloating in multiplayer

zargz
6th August 2007, 04:35 PM
ingame replay won't work in multiplayer at all - what are the rest gonna do while you're looking at you replay? wait for you? :naughty

In a Wipeout for the PS3, I believe that the option of watching other races being done online would be nice. Not having to race yet still being able to watch the action, and the racer's being notified that they're being watched by however many, sweet stuff...Spectator mode would be so cool!
also if you are eliminated you can watch the rest of the race (.. I think Pure already has that .. :?)
and be able to choose which ship to follow! 8)

swift killer
6th August 2007, 04:51 PM
ingame replay won't work in multiplayer at all - what are the rest gonna do while you're looking at you replay? wait for you? :naughty

they get forced to watch the replay against their will as you rub it in, like you would when you score against a mate in ProEvo, also, let you take a pic so you can post it on the zone saying ''insert name here' is so rubbish he got destroyed on the first lap'

Lance
6th August 2007, 04:55 PM
And that post would be deleted as being offensive.

swift killer
6th August 2007, 04:59 PM
And that post would be deleted as being offensive.

ok, bad example, but can you imagine the uses in gloating amongst friends?

zargz
6th August 2007, 05:06 PM
How long time is a race gonna take, you think, if all 8 multiplayers force their oponents to see every single hit they get in?

swift killer
6th August 2007, 05:07 PM
restrict it to eliminations then

Lance
6th August 2007, 05:09 PM
Read the guidelines. You are really starting to piss me off, ''swift killer''; doing so is not a good idea.

swift killer
6th August 2007, 05:14 PM
i have read them, i was reading this forum months before i joined

Lance
6th August 2007, 05:15 PM
Yet you are not following them. Start doing so now.

swift killer
6th August 2007, 05:21 PM
ok, sorry about that

zargz
6th August 2007, 05:54 PM

in Driver there was a mode called Director as in movie director (not sure about the name, was a friends game)
after a completed mission you were free to place cameras all over the place following your route and you was able to see the replay
i e if there was an especially spectacular escape or crush you'd put the cam right there and enjoy your 'custom' replay.

Likewise after a race we could be able to put lets say 10 cams anywhere along the track ( hoping there'll be a replay on the next wo
coz afaik wo3 is the only wo to have replays. not sure about fusion but i know wo1, 2097and pure don't.)
then we could save the replay to mem'card, camera or vdo to preserve for coming generations that special elimination or tight finish!

In a deeper, more detailed level we could decide where there would be a slowmotion, zoom
and also which ship the cam would follow or even missiles/plasma bolts!!

Howzat for an idea? 8)

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:11 PM
Howzat for an idea? 8)

Neat-o! ;)

RJ O'Connell
7th August 2007, 03:19 AM
1) The ability to be eliminated in other ways besides losing shields. Yes, mostly I am referring to straight crashes - at 300+ km/h actual speed (since the 900+ km/h of Pure and 3000+ km/h of Fusion can't be right given lap time and distance) if you hit a tree, signpost, etc in real life there is no possible way a ship can come to a dead stop and still run at optimum levels with no damage. Yes, visual damage isn't pretty and the only time it was attempted was in Fusion, but I feel it should be given another shot.

2) I've heard something about the weapons being pre-loaded onto the ship, and that the grids activate them. (Makes more sense than on-track hologram pickups, hello Quantum Redshift, Extreme-G.) What I'm wondering is, since there's no feasible way an AG Racer can hold an unlimited amount of weapons...would it make more sense for some teams to load up a certain arsenal to fit a different strategy? For example, a team like Triakis, a weapons dealer at heart, would probably load up on offensive weapons (lots of missiles, bombs, quake) and have no real need for turbo, shields, etc. Piranha, who has had a history of non-violent racing tactics dating back to the unarmed P.666 Prototype in XL, would likely try to enhance their already stellar speed with turbos, and maybe stock up on some missiles and rockets for self-defense, but not a lot of heavy firepower. Of course these weapons could be pre-loaded, and you would need to have at least one of each on board, and not too many of one particular item, because stocking yourself with 50 turbos would just take the fun out of a time table.

3) I really need to push for this, even if it is deemed as insignificant by a few. Pilot profiles do need to make a return. In every major sport, certain individual players are promoted to some extent as much as the team that pays them their salary, maybe even more - so why does Wipeout need to make every pilot an anonymous, invisible figment of the imagination, like in the 23rd century future, racing is conducted by unmanned race craft that flies itself? Okay, so in Fusion the writer(s) went a bit cheesy with it (Roberto Sergio, Wolfgang Of Over, cough), but that shouldn't be a discouragement to try it again. Hey, we had it in WipEout, and that wasn't a bad game by any means. This would also open the door for advanced AI that would race differently, dependant upon their style, the ship they pilot, racing background, etc. Of course there'd need to be some livery alterations, or some other _clear_ way to distingush between different team pilots while racing (Fusion didn't do that very well) - number plates and personal emblems, a concept borrowed from WO1 would work well too.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 07:50 AM
:? motorstorm engine?!!!:o:o:o

that doesnt make sense because, correct me if im wrong, studio liverpool dont want to go down that route because of their preferences to good racing. it would make a brilliant feature though.

also to make the speeds more realistic, the tracks i think would have to be alot larger and wider, how did you calculate the actual speed? did you take an average?

i think the preloaded weapons may destroy the balance between racing and firing, you might endup with a huge weapon-shitstorm resulting in everyone eliminated!

character profiles may be a good idea to go with the brilliant storyline WipeOut has, but whats wrong with us making our own AG-Pilot profiles? or loading our 'Zone Forum profiles into the game? would be nice to know when we've beaten someone from here

and Zargs, the custom replays i think would be too long and tedious and would risk legal fiddlesticks with reflections interactive, as for the slowmo following the missile/rocket/plasma/grenade, thats what ive been saying all along

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 08:15 AM
(And since I have heard the PS3 installment after HD will use the MotorStorm engine, maybe the wrecks will be played in that awesome super-slow-motion? ^_^)
I've tried to put that rumour to rest already - some clueless games "journalist" mentioned it on a 1Up show and people take what they say as gospel. It's bullshit.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 08:18 AM
i thought so, i know for a fact SL wont go that way with the game

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 08:19 AM
Do you now.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 08:35 AM
do you mean that in a 'i know something you dont know' way? :S

Cannon_Fodder
7th August 2007, 08:45 AM
"I suspect there's a lot of things I know that you don't"

Well, I'm not talking about me - I know nothing about most things, but it seemed like an appropriate quote...

I suspect Mr Infoxicated is just surprised at your immense knowledge of what is happening inside the SL Wipeout development room. He might even be in awe. It's difficult to tell.

I think I had a point when I started the mail, but I've kind of forgotten it. It probably had to do with weapons, leaders and pack racing.

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, the speedo in Pure is correct (although not in Fusion). FACT!!!!11!!1!

swift killer
7th August 2007, 09:09 AM
i dont know whats going on, but i do recall on the forum, correctly me please if im wrong (iv been raking up too many bad points), colin berry saying that due to the team's preferences, they would'nt be going down the destructive game route, my guess is they wont because they did this with fusion and it did'nt do well, although i liked the game.

but to prove if the speedo in pure is correct we need to do something like work out an average speed around a lap.

and i doubt i would have more knowledge of what happens in SL than infoxicated, he's the forum's administrator, so it is likely that he knows more about SL than we could ever hope to, who knows, he might be from SL himself. (im hoping that doesnt get me into trouble)

zargz
7th August 2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/sef.gif he is.
.. as for the slowmo following the missile/rocket/plasma/grenade, thats what ive been saying all along yeh but I'm talking about it in the replay not in race, where it would slow down the race. 8)

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 10:54 AM
I think I had a point when I started the mail, but I've kind of forgotten it. It probably had to do with weapons, leaders and pack racing.
Pack racing for the frickin' win: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWI-OyDq8mU

:D

swift killer
7th August 2007, 11:01 AM
hopefully that wont mess up dario's title hopes

my cousin knows dario franchitti

Cannon_Fodder
7th August 2007, 12:56 PM
I saw that one. It looked pretty spectacular!

Pack racing is indeed FTW.

Colin Berry
7th August 2007, 01:05 PM
and i doubt i would have more knowledge of what happens in SL than infoxicated, he's the forum's administrator, so it is likely that he knows more about SL than we could ever hope to, who knows, he might be from SL himself. (im hoping that doesnt get me into trouble)

Uhm
Infoxicated sits opposite me, I can see his grin and dazzling blue shirt as I type
Cannon Fodder used to sit behind me, thankfully he's buggered off to pastures new

Wipeout HD wont be using the motorstorm engine but even if it did, that wouldnt have any influence on the game style.
You could use the motorstorm engine to make a flight sim, if you really wanted.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 03:09 PM
:o:o:o no way!

then again, it would make sense for a SL staff member to be the admin of the forum so the forum doesnt decend into complete and utter chaos!

any chance of seperating eg.r and xios in the next wipeout? the two on their own were great teams, even if one looked like a beetroot! however, when combined it looks like the beetroot has been genetically modified into a carrot as indicated by supersocks. bring back tigron because it is pretty popular, same could be said for van uber but i personally dont like it because of its hideous rear end and slippy-slide handling. you've probably read the following on another forum, but i would like to see an indian team called I.Am.AG (Indian Aerospace Mumbai Anti Gravity) in the old 'sahara' colours of the indian cricket team, without the stereo types!

infoxicated, you think thats a crash, look up the crashes kenny brack and ryan briscoe had, very F9000-esque

RJ O'Connell
7th August 2007, 03:27 PM
I sense a downward spiral of this thread soon. -_-

BTW, thanks for letting us know that WipEout PS3 (working title) won't be using the MotorStorm engine. I can't believe I bought that...X_X

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 03:31 PM
No, there's no chance of separating EG.R and Xios.

Yes, Kenny Brack's crash was bad - Ryan's looked worse than it was.

And no, you shouldn't post that picture again because you've been posting it all over the place since you discovered it.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 03:36 PM
i thats the only time i've posted it :S

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 03:42 PM
Aside from here, you mean: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68722#post68722

There and the other post of yours containing it that I deleted this morning.

Not to worry now anyway - you've ****ed this topic right up.

RJ O'Connell
7th August 2007, 03:46 PM
I have one thing to say:

:brickwall

Anyway, I'm going to get back on topic with another idea I had:

4) Wipeout 1 had different track surfaces - F3600 Standard, Artificial Crystal, etc. Do you think, and I may be wrong since I'm no anti-gravity physics expert (not even a novice X_X), that these surfaces can cause different piloting characteristics? i.e. the Crystal surface used on Silverstream would make handling more slippery, or the Blasted Sandstone at Arridos IV could be a bit rough and bumpy.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 03:53 PM
getting back to the topic before i **** it up even further.

the next wipeout could have an online replay gallery, where you can post replays of your fastest times, greatest race or thing that never happens in the game but somehow happened to you. also, on the network, you could highlight players who are on a winning streak as 'hot pilots', if you are a hot pilot than you can be challenged at any time while playing the game (but not in the middle of a race). the idea is, someone will see a 'hot pilot' and think 'hmmm, we'll see about that', you can have records to see who's had the longest 'hot pilot streak' and you could have exclusive add-ons as rewards for being a 'hot pilot' for a certain amount of time.

infoxicated
7th August 2007, 04:00 PM
4) Wipeout 1 had different track surfaces - F3600 Standard, Artificial Crystal, etc. Do you think, and I may be wrong since I'm no anti-gravity physics expert (not even a novice X_X), that these surfaces can cause different piloting characteristics? i.e. the Crystal surface used on Silverstream would make handling more slippery, or the Blasted Sandstone at Arridos IV could be a bit rough and bumpy.
It shouldn't really - the craft interacts with the air, not the surface beneath it, although an undulating surface beneath it could cause turbulence, I suppose.

This was my least favourite thing about Fusion, in that the craft had less "grip" over water or sand. Well, the player craft had less grip - the AI craft had the same grip regardless of where they were. Genius decision, that one.

I did knock up a mock interview with a team engineer some time ago that detailed the use of the shield & anti-gravity generator to create an aerodynamic profile for the ship that extended beyond the physical area. Decided it was a bit heavy on the Sci-Fi, so it never seen the light of day.

Still - it would be a good excuse for the blatantly un-aerodynamic craft we saw in Fusion. Using the shield & AG generator an Auricom from the fusion era could have an aerodynamic profile similar to a Xios. Probably.

phl0w
7th August 2007, 04:13 PM
This thread has been going downward since page 4. I am not a moderator and have no right to reprehend anybody, but it gets a bit tedious. Swift Killer, do you just post for the sake of it? Might as well actually think about all those suggestions before posting them. This thread started a healthy discussion about next-gen AG racing but stalled somewhat. That's when you jumped in and started dragging this thread through what appeared to be a lack of good ideas, nourishing it with generic trivia (pleonasm?). Now I see that such a topic invites to ramble on and on, but I preferred a more basal form of discussing what potential lies in the so called next-gen for AG racing.
But maybe I'm being oversensitive here.

Mark Of Insanity
7th August 2007, 04:14 PM
I have one thing to say:

:brickwall

Anyway, I'm going to get back on topic with another idea I had:

That depends on the way the Wipeout Anti-Gravity technology works. It's possible that it wouldn't make a difference, but it's equally possible that it would.

I don't know much about the current technologies of Anti-Gravity, but if we assume, in the future, that the AG Craft generate a kind of invisible cushion that separates it from the ground (thus allowing the reduced friction high speeds of AG racing), that is constantly beneath them, then the material of the ground makes no difference that isn't cosmetic.

Even if the AG Craft technology instead uses the AG Craft to generate a constant upthrust that keeps it off the ground via gases/reverse thrusters, then the material of the ground below it should not matter.

However, we don't know how the AG Craft in Wipeout do it, so we can easily say that it does affect the craft.

So the key to understanding whether different materials should cause the AG Craft to behave differently is knowing whether there is any friction (even second-hand) between the AG craft and the ground surface below it. We should assume that there isn't much or any at all, because then there is little use for having AG craft when we can use wheels. The entire point of not using wheels is to lose the restraint that the friction of wheels gives, hence the ability to travel at extremely fast speeds. These are the reasons that only Jet fighters can travel the speeds that they can, and not cars. Wheels simply can not cut it.

Another interesting realisation here is also the though that the only friction remaining is between the air and the craft, hinting that higher speeds could be attained if there was no air. But that idea is futile in itself if the (assumed to be) jet engines can not travel fast enough to utilise the new speeds available.

So, I conclude that there would be no difference between racing over say, Reclaimed Titanium as to Artificial Crystal.

RJ O'Connell
7th August 2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah, thanks for clearing that one up for me. It's probably why we don't hear what surface the tracks are made of nowadays - because it's a bit moot.

Dr. Angryman
7th August 2007, 05:38 PM
It would be fun if different areas of the track had different traction levels.... Kinda like F-zero.

OMG! I'VE MADE AN F-ZERO REFERENCE!

I hate myself now....

Lance
7th August 2007, 06:23 PM
Another interesting realisation here is also the though that the only friction remaining is between the air and the craft, hinting that higher speeds could be attained if there was no air. But that idea is futile in itself if the (assumed to be) jet engines can not travel fast enough to utilise the new speeds available.

Hinting? The already attained speed of rocket-powered spacecraft in vacuum is a many-decades old demonstration of the already known. If you are suggesting that anti-grav or otherwise levitated vehicles could race in vacuum, this has already been done in games that have used racetracks on a moon hasn't it? Not to mention tracks on Mars, with low gravity and almost no atmosphere. However, jet engines are not going to run in a vacuum; it would requires rockets or some other reaction engine not requiring atmospheric oxygen for combustion.

Back in the 50s or early 60s, Arthur C. Clarke wrote a SciFi book in which the Earth of the future had transcontinental
subways built in tunnels from which the air was kept removed. The drive would have been obtained much as it is now with superconducting magnets and linear magnetic induction to hold the vehicles away from the guide rails.

Running racecraft in a vacuum while allowing a large degree of lateral and vertical freedom of movement to make the racing exciting and to allow passing would be difficult because of control issues. Some sort of ''mechanism'' would be required to shift the vehicles' orientation in all axes.

Mark Of Insanity
7th August 2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to go too into it because of the difficulties surrounding movement in a vaccuum. Hinting, because I hadn't really thought about it before, so it hinted to me that (what I said). I would very much like to see Clarke's idea in action, actually. I hadn't heard/read about that before, but it sounds very interesting.

Lance
7th August 2007, 07:25 PM
Under present technical and economic conditions, it just can't happen. I would be worried about something Clarke never addressed, crossing the junctions of crustal plates, such as the San Andreas Fault. I would hate to be in one of those cars travelling at one or more thousands of miles per hour just as the faultline shifted, even if it were just a couple of inches/few centimeters. Total disaster for the occupants of the vehicle. Spilskinanke earthquakes and track breaks underground and with no way to get away.

Medusa
7th August 2007, 08:45 PM
(I enjoy it when the game states the track surface simply because it adds to the invented reality of the future. As long as the game looks believable too. No blue sand please.)

On the effects of air-vehicle interaction - what about the suction of the crafts passing you? There isn't any effect now when a Triakis turboes right past you - shouldn't you get sucked into his tailwind when you're in an AGS?

Also I wonder why there aren't any weather patches created in open-air tracks from all the high heat of the craft engines heating the air intensely in such a small area - hot air rises quickly and surrounding air rushes in...there could be up/down drafts depending on the track and also strong winds and rain....would that be hell to race in or what?

zargz
7th August 2007, 08:57 PM
Just started play pure today! :robot just raced few races and feel - what a shame there's no replay (that you can save!).. man!
so if not for pure so for next wo if possible? :)

Dr. Angryman
7th August 2007, 09:25 PM
I think making WipEout "realistic" would make the game cold and technical.... The game should be fun, not constantly restricting because what you do is not possible.

zargz
8th August 2007, 11:58 AM
for me wo is realistic, being a science fiction freak, that's why I like it.
most of the things written in a sf book end up being real within 50 years .. or so 8)
it's just thinking what could be possible in the near future!

if you need unrealistic, cartoonish racers you got mario cart, speed punks, lego racers .. dunno more :D

also judging from the name of the leagues one could asume they are an extention of the F1 championships :)

and Zargs, the custom replays i think would be too long and tedious and would risk legal fiddlesticks with reflections interactive.. Most racing games have replay where you can, while in replay, choose to follow any car on the track from any view or choose side track camera. all nascar, toca and rally games (F1 too prob'ly) so:
No I don't think there'd be any legal actions.

Asayyeah
9th August 2007, 10:29 PM
Cool to see you are liking it Pavel :+

Airrider
10th August 2007, 12:19 AM
for me wo is realistic, being a science fiction freak, that's why I like it.
most of the things written in a sf book end up being real within 50 years .. or so 8)
it's just thinking what could be possible in the near future!

if you need unrealistic, cartoonish racers you got mario cart, speed punks, lego racers .. dunno more :D

also judging from the name of the leagues one could asume they are an extention of the F1 championships :)
Most racing games have replay where you can, while in replay, choose to follow any car on the track from any view or choose side track camera. all nascar, toca and rally games (F1 too prob'ly) so:
No I don't think there'd be any legal actions.

Hell, F-Zero GX even lets you do that sort of camera fiddling.

swift killer
10th August 2007, 01:20 PM
how about the following;

1 - zone eliminator, other people already mentioned this, it would be an absolute joy in multiplayer, just need to work on the rules and balance of this mode.

2 - the following weapons - the self destruct from rollcage stage deux, loved the cool effect they gave it. this one i just made up - mag strip inverter; when triggered on a mag strip it will cause the mag strip to have the reverse effect on ships within a certain radius, pushing the ships away from the strip, lukily, if your on a mag strip which is up right you'll land back on the track, if your in a loop or screw..... out of bounds! *zap*

3 - bring back the old grid of 16 ships - 1 ship per team

Medusa
10th August 2007, 05:03 PM
I don't know about 16 ships. XL was hell to keep going around all those moving pylons. I love that Pure went back to an 8 ship grid, if they went back to having the AI block you crazily it would make a huge difference. Multiplayer 16 ship races would be virtually unplayable, the highest shield rating would likely take it every time.

Rapier Racer
10th August 2007, 06:22 PM
I was going to mention this myself but then I realized 16 or maybe even 12 AI ships on the grid, you better get away quickly cos that would be total hell with the big weapons party on lap 1

Dr. Angryman
12th August 2007, 09:26 PM
More ships are definitly needed on WipEout. 8 ships are just too few.... That's what my brain says to me, anyway. Either more ships or difficult AI, that's what I say.

cybrpnk
12th August 2007, 09:30 PM
I've always thought the homage paid to WipEout's slightly close ties to Formula 1 racing in terms of number of craft on the grid was pretty cool. Number of ships should equal number of teams participating x2...ie 2 craft to a team... It'll also be nice for the PS3 WipEout where the decals on the 2 ships can vary, but maintain some sort of design element or colour that is common to both...

Online team play anyone??? See the possibilities here???

If SL includes maybe craft customization and creation sets, I'm picturing like set pieces like you find in Lego (but not looking like Lego of course) and also team creation sets...the possibilities online would be enormous. Clans could have maybe a team of 10 pilots with 2 pilots racing in a league each... The more newer pilots partaking in Vector Classes whilst the super reflexed ones in Phantom or maybe an even faster class by then...

SL could even maybe introduce a whole new set of team specific weapons that require both pilots to be present on track to initiate...maybe requires a pilot in front and at the back (one releasing maybe a flash blind screen, whilst the one at the back decimates the opponent stuck in the middle with a vulcan cannon fire), or on the left and on the right... I guess the words co-operative eliminations are what I'm looking for...would be nice to see how this can be implemented at speeds in excess of 800-1000kmh...

I can picture this in the intro, a race is going on...we view this from above and afar...then it zooms in on the front of the pack where 2 ships from the same team are chasing the dude coming first...all three shipps reach a hairpin just before the finish line...as all three are taking the hairpin, one more skilled pilot from the team chasing hits a boost pad and goes slightly in front of the leader, whilst the other one remains behind...co-op weapon is deployed, leader gets obliterated, both ships cross the line for a 1, 2 team finish...

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 09:40 PM
Yes - this is what I miss about Wipeout 1 - the feel that you aren't just racing clone ships piloted by a computer algorythm or a bot.

Of course if we add any further teams to the twelve we already have in Pulse, one of two things could happen: 1) One pilot per team stipulation is enabled to prevent the overcrowding on the grid or 2) It would be like Wipeout 3 where we only see four of the eight teams on track (granted, there were 3x ships per team in WO3/SE.)

If we were to bring back pilot profiles (and I hope that's a yes), there would need to be a way to distingush between pilot 1 and 2, like a slight livery change, so that it's not like Wipeout Fusion where you definitely couldn't tell the difference between the two ships. Emblems, visible number plates, different helmet designs (although it wouldn't be nearly as obvious as the last two), or even something as crude as an arrow over the ship and the pilot's name "J. NEWTOWN" or whatever.

And I don't think team super weapons will be returning, since both times they were tried, they ended up sucking. There's a great difference between the Orbital Laser and the Nitro Rocket from Fusion, in terms of effectiveness.

cybrpnk
12th August 2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah, pilot profiles would be great to have back...maybe incorporate the Playstation Eye peripheral or maybe you could upload a jpeg of yourself. Don't know how this can be implemented onto a 3D generated character. But the pilot customisation should be kept at the back of the priority list...we'd hate to see EA's Tiger Woods Game Face being implemented here...or do any of us not mind??? I don't know...

I think the next-gen premier anti-gravity racing experience should have some sort of personalisation aspects, and not 'pre-made' pilots or characters...Maybe, just maybe, with the setup of the new WipEout website, pilots can register and become members of the WipEout community and have their own personal blog typed space where they can upload a photo of themselves or avatar, and create some sort of personal back story to the character/pilot...

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 10:03 PM
I'd actually like to see that implimented in a personal career/story mode deal, however, I am a bit tired of racing against "Qirex Ship #1" or "the Triakis", like a monster truck race where the car gets more attention than the actual person driving it.

swift killer
13th August 2007, 02:05 PM
I've always thought the homage paid to WipEout's slightly close ties to Formula 1 racing in terms of number of craft on the grid was pretty cool.

when you think of it;

F1 car - [wings + wheels + barge boards + keel + diffuser] = wipeout ship

also;
pirhana = ferrari, legend
triakis = mclaren
feisar = renault, past champions
ag sys = super aguri, fragile
assegai = honda, mid field, earth theme
auricom = BMW, no wins
van uber = spyker, absolutely crap

swift killer
31st August 2007, 08:14 AM
ok, this thread seems to have dropped dead, so im going to inject abit of life.

In the concept art you can see renders of the AG SYS and Assegai ships showing the weapons system underneath the ship. Now, with the PS3's capabilities, the weapons system can be fully animated on the ships in gameplay, all be it with a few changes for realism.

These are my ideas:

Rockets should be fired;
single hull ships; one pops out of the nose(preferably the top so we can see it) and fires, while the other two pop out either side and fire simulatiously with the other one.
dual hull: one pops out either side, while the central one pops out inbetween the hulls.
tri hull: one pops out of each hull(preferably the top so we can see)

Missiles:
drop out from underneath and shoot off towards their fodder.

Plasma:
single hull: charge comes from the nose, forms ball and fires.
dual hull: charges comes from the nose of each hull, meet in the center, form the ball and fires
tri hull: a hybrid of the two above.

Mines:
drop out from underneath as small metal orbs which then expand into the 'tripod' shape which the mines take in Pure(mainly so people dont say 'how can that come out of that when its too huge').

Bomb:
drops out from underneath and expands(again so people dont say 'how can something so big come out of the ship').

Quake:
same as it has been in Pure and Pulse, but this time the ships which fires it emits an orange aura and is channeling orange lightning into the ground for as long as the quake is progressing down the track.

Grenades:
pop out like the rockets do, but up and outwards, forward spinning in mid air and then going on its destructive path.

I know these sound like long animations for rockets,grenades & missile, but, they should happen within a second and should propell down their destructive paths abit quicker so people dont say it's slowed the weapons fire.

RingoSpoon
31st August 2007, 07:30 PM
SL could even maybe introduce a whole new set of team specific weapons that require both pilots to be present on track to initiate...maybe requires a pilot in front and at the back

Now thats a great idea :) I would love some 2 player vs / league action online that would rock. Each team member would have the same skin, but different custom craft & weapon capabilities.

Also within each specific speed level you are able to 'tweak' the power, cornering and handling by adding different parts / upgrades to your ship. Perhaps being able to tweak 'beyond phantom' for some insane racing :)

swift killer
1st September 2007, 08:08 AM
Its been done in WipEout before, in Fusion on the PS2, you were able to upgrade and tune ships, as well as each team having its own signiture weapon. My personal faves were Piranha's Penetrator, Van Uber's Seismic wave which turned the sky black! and EG.R's power swarm. I do doubt whether or not SL will try this again, although the question had to be asked.....

Would WipEout Fusion be a brilliant game if it used the ship physics/handling from WipEout Pure/Pulse???? (that could be a interesting new thread on another section of the forum..)

RingoSpoon
1st September 2007, 09:23 AM
Yes but its not been done online - I think in online Wipeout it might make it more interesting if you could modify the ships handling and look. If it was 2v2 or 4v4 and each craft per team looked exactly the same it would look pretty boring :) Please let me pimp my wipeout craft in HD - it would rock :):)

swift killer
1st September 2007, 11:09 AM
hmmmm, shall we start a thread asking how you would modify your ship?

RingoSpoon
2nd September 2007, 09:01 AM
I think it would be cool if you had a basic model, and then were able to add different sections / body parts each affecting acceleration, handling, air time, engine power and boost power :)

Dragoon111
10th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Just imagine the next wipeout game having ships with totally customisable parts!!I think it would be great having the ship of your choise with and change its parts such as the engine,the front,the airbrakes.....well....what do you think

I merged your thread : please look at the rules and use the search function of that site

swift killer
10th January 2008, 07:47 PM
Don't think it would work, we don't want to end up with an NFS: WipEout, maybe difference ship model/shapes would be good, as long as they keep out the monstrousities from Fusion.

mdhay
10th January 2008, 10:10 PM
Already been implemented: Fatal Inertia, though a rainbow feisar that looks like an f-22 Raptor would be cool.

G'Kyl
11th January 2008, 05:59 AM
I second that, swift killer. Having customizable parts is simply not WipEout. It may work only as long as changing your ship doesn't change its characteristics...

Chill
13th January 2008, 05:24 AM
Sorry to disaggree... but I would think it would be rather possible... taking that the game can provide every real element as a counterpart... and no glitches or (altra-perfect) crafts can be created... and no track suction is added with physics remaining floaty.

For example, lets say you want to make the craft faster... that means taking down weight to go around turns faster, and down-sizing wings and air-brakes to coincide with the weight-change, and not slow the light craft down to far, but shield energy would automatically drop as well, being it had hardly any weight (casing)..

And if you did decide to make a heavy craft that had a heavy engine, you would need larger wings to turn around things better (with the extra weight, it wouldn't turn as well), it's thrust would dramatically drop automatically, and it's wind resistance would decrease, but it would have far more power shielding, and do much greater damage when colliting with other crafts...

As long as track suction is kept out of the game, and all elements like thrust, speed, shield, weapon, et-cetra to would change realistically within meaningful rulse, and all characteristics play a part in Theory of Relativity within' the game, I don't think it would be too bad... just don't throw in money and upgrading, but to have all possible capabilities from the start would be good... and no, not craft parts, like "a new thrust system", like a said... keeping within the games boundaries throughout the game, and no changing or improved parts throughout the game, but rather having everything from the start (all craft parts with equal strengths and weaknesses, like all crafts in general in the newer Wipeouts), I would think it wouldn't be a bad addition to the series... a long with the remaining paint customization and such...

BulletWraith
13th January 2008, 08:20 AM
I third it G'Kyl/Swift Killer, as long as it doesn't change the characteristics of the Craft I'd love to have customisable parts, but that the parts must completely suit the Ship Design

sure it's possible, but I really think that deciding the attributes of a Craft should be left completely to the Designers, they put the magic stuff in :g

-zer0shen

Mark Of Insanity
13th January 2008, 12:13 PM
Agreed with SK, G'Kyl and zer0shen... It would be very difficult to balance the craft if performance was customisable... However, I see no reason why customisable craft design would not fit.

As for money and such, I believe it depends.

Money itself is not needed, as one could simply have different visual upgrade options added as rewards... or alternatively, money could be the reward and the advantage of this is that it allows different visual upgrades to be quantified between each other more precisely, whether or not this is a good or bad thing remains to be seen. A third option here (of course, I expect there are many good options), is to use both together, in a system where the rewards are unlocking AND monetary bonuses. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to be money, it could be "credit" or "kudos" etc.

In any case, I believe that if this 'pimping' feature is added, it can easily become a great addition, so long as it is thought out carefully before it is implemented.

Just my two cents. :g

Airrider
14th January 2008, 12:38 AM
I did always think that we could have basic design strategies that belong to certain teams while there are a few different variations on the same basic design strategy. To use the PulsE skins as a model, think about it like there's the main ship, the concept ship, and some other new model, and they all have slight variations on the same style (i.e. EG-X is a lightweight speed team, Icaras goes for ludicrous speed, FEISAR goes for excellent handling).

Tuning can be done on a sort of F1-ish scale, tuning things like airbrake sensitivity, hover height, front-rear shield bias, boost characteristics, etc. could probably be doable while still keeping with the WipEout spirit.

As for money and interesting upgrades, we could take a page from PulsE and use team loyalty. The closer you get to a team by racing with them, the more extras they offer you, such as the extra tunable parts and the other ship models, and so forth.

MarcoM
17th January 2008, 12:42 PM
Wouldn't that be an idea? I mean, when I look at other PC based racing games, there are loads of addon tracks.

Now I know SL is busy making them (the said some downloads would be available right after launch) , but maybe if SL release a toolbox for building our own tracks, then I know for sure we'd have some of our favourite tracks in a very short period.

I am not slagging SL, but I think it would make a great opportunity to expand the WO universe.

edit: allright sorry for not searching :)

Asayyeah
17th January 2008, 12:50 PM
you should really use the search button function of that site to see if your idea was already discussed before : and yes it has been discussed before ...several time... take the time to read all those posts to make you a better idea of this

Au_Xtr3me
17th January 2008, 10:35 PM
Seeing as all previous WipEout games are missing it, a future game has got to have Supersonic flight. All though you can go above the sound barrier, nothing special ever happens. So have a sound barrier, make a sonic boom when you get their, have the transitional cloud effect, AND make all game effects noise go to zero (not music).

I think that sounds like a sweet idea. :nod

rdmx
18th January 2008, 12:36 AM
Cool idea but not practical.
You'll spend most of the phantom race completely deaf and to be honest, being deaf doesn't sound that good to me.

Chill
18th January 2008, 12:44 AM
Perhaps the ability of break the sound barrier possible "only" in phantom... but using a turbo would just be a given on that speed class... ;) perhaps an option to turn it on and off... because my opinion of it is that it sounds freaking awesome...

Airrider
18th January 2008, 01:37 AM
Sound barrier-breaking effects can be best summed up by the interesting way that was done in XGIII...

Au_Xtr3me
18th January 2008, 12:05 PM
You wouldn't spend most of the time at Phantom deaf because the sound barrier sits at about 1,200 Kph, which you only sometimes hit after a boost or turbo at Phantom. As for Zone, it is a computer program so theoretically you can't get a real sonic boom (so is wipeout but that's different)

Chill
20th January 2008, 05:40 AM
My thought on the whole new zone computer program thing is a negative one... I think that zone mode should look just the same as in game (like Fusion)... I'm not all up for the cyber-stuff... That's the only reason why I don't like Pure's or probably won't like Pulse's zone modes... For Zone mode, I think fusion remains the master of that...

Airrider
20th January 2008, 10:09 PM
Personally, I could do without the sound barrier breaking thing, but it's interesting to talk about.

Lion
27th January 2008, 08:50 AM
having recently bought a playstation eye, and played a fair bit of burnout paradise, I REALLY want to see a killcam (either the killer sees the victim, or the victim sees the killer. maybe both?) as it's amazing how much that adds to the game.
especially if eliminator becomes an online mode
fulltime voice chat is also a feature I really hope to see

XR_GTR
31st January 2008, 11:25 PM
Somehow, after a short session of ToCA World Touring Cars and Wipeout 3, I was thinking some idea along the lines of a mix of the two aforementioned games...

So, the player picks a "starting country" (sort of like Forza). The player is then presented with (two or three) "national class" (equal to Venom class now) teams that are in the player's "starting country". The player then chooses a team out of the (two or three) and begins a short time trial in which a target time must be beaten. If the player beats that time, one can join the team, or choose to "test-pilot" another team's craft.

As the player races and earns more points in the championship in their "starting country", they can be promoted to "regional class" pilots, which means they can "test-pilot" for whatever teams are within their region (North and South American teams for those who picked either one of the Americas continents, etc). The pilot is promoted once more after earning enough 'unique' points in the championships to "continental class" (equal to Rapier class) championships, and so on and so fourth.

As for actually racing however, everything might as well stay the same, bar the tracks and craft.

(note: I don't have much time as of this post to fully flesh out the idea.)

Airrider
2nd February 2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, there's an idea. There's a little F1 2007 in that, too.

Beriller
5th February 2008, 06:00 PM
I had the idea of a "Legendary races" mode. This would be a kind of challenge mode based on the history of WipEout.
For example you could play an historical race when the track, due to a quake, collapsed and the pilots continued out of the track and had to stop by their own means... Or one when a famous pilot had a broken airbrake and succeeded in getting the first place... Or when he had 1% energy left and was left in race with his most aggressive enemy...

A kind of historical version of the FX league.

Lion
5th February 2008, 08:26 PM
that's actually a really cool idea :D
the broken airbrake and low energy with 1 opponent remaining scenarios sound particularly cool

Airrider
6th February 2008, 03:05 PM
I could see that, adding more body to the already-interesting WipEout tale.

RJ O'Connell
2nd March 2008, 09:44 PM
Something like this, for example?

Race: 2160 Mexican Grand Prix - Alca Vexus White Run
Team: Van-Uber Racing Developments
Pilot: Nami Mishima (JPN)

In the last laps of the Mexican Grand Prix I, the heavily damaged ship of Nami Mishima was locked in a fierce duel for the lead with rival Zala Wolff. A missile attack in the last corners cost Mishima her first F9000 race win. But in this challenge, let's see if you can re-write history and give the Japanese pilot a major victory at the jungle track with shield energy at critical levels and no pit lane until the end of the lap.

Just a start. :)

cybrpnk
7th July 2008, 02:31 AM
was wondering today...wouldn't it be cool if there was the ability to 'ride' a quake disruptor???

imagine this...you're flying along at speeds in excess of +1000kmh...your onboard computer suddenly, cool and calmly identifies an incoming quake disruptor being deployed...you hear a rumbling coming from behind getting louder...pitching your nose down...instead of getting hit by the quake, you are 'pick-uped' by the undulating surface of the track and you get 'chucked onto the crest of the wave...

pitching your nose up, you can then exit the wave on the other side as you slide down the back of it seeing the quake disruptor is a lot faster that your ship...or...

if you have a turbo...ignite the sucker and ride the crest for awhile, laughing it up as opponents get destroyed along your path to victory...

Lance
7th July 2008, 03:50 AM
FutureSurf :)

omega329
7th July 2008, 09:21 AM
Just been reading some old 2000AD comics, the chopper: soul on fire story arc had a pretty awesome AG race in it...
The run was called SuperSurf 10, lance reminded me of it...

KIGO1987
7th July 2008, 11:54 AM
was wondering today...wouldn't it be cool if there was the ability to 'ride' a quake disruptor???

imagine this...you're flying along at speeds in excess of +1000kmh...your onboard computer suddenly, cool and calmly identifies an incoming quake disruptor being deployed...you hear a rumbling coming from behind getting louder...pitching your nose down...instead of getting hit by the quake, you are 'pick-uped' by the undulating surface of the track and you get 'chucked onto the crest of the wave...

pitching your nose up, you can then exit the wave on the other side as you slide down the back of it seeing the quake disruptor is a lot faster that your ship...or...

if you have a turbo...ignite the sucker and ride the crest for awhile, laughing it up as opponents get destroyed along your path to victory...

That would be really cool. A good idea to include in the next game design.

About the quake does anybody remembers that quake could be launch from the rear of the ship in Wipeout Fusion. This was good when your in first position and you dont want anybody from the rear to catch up to you. The reason why i quickly bring this up because in two online seasons on Pulse some one in front of me launched a quake towards me from the rear, this happened on Talons Junction White. Was this guying cheating or what cause i have never seen it till it happened on that online race??

rdmx
7th July 2008, 02:07 PM
KIGO, you can turn your ship around and fire a quake backwards - it was done a lot on Kai from what i've heard - it is more useful in Pure however, as there is very quick acceleration in Pulse. The time you lose trying to backquake is not worth it.

It's more of a show off thing, really.

eLhabib
7th July 2008, 05:22 PM
Backward quake? Kai? Never heard of it! :paperbag

RJ O'Connell
7th July 2008, 07:38 PM
That sounds almost as silly as being able to gently scrape the walls and actually gaining speed as a result! Or even sillier, being able to go very fast through buildings and mountains and shortcutting the track, saving several seconds per lap!

Lance
7th July 2008, 07:40 PM
Would anyone want a backward quake [with the ship remaining pointed forward] on a next-generation WO?

RJ O'Connell
8th July 2008, 02:23 AM
No, but rear-locking missiles could come back any time.

cybrpnk
8th July 2008, 02:46 AM
rear-locking missiles???...hmmm

i reckon the weapon formula for something like mario kart is quite effective in terms of offensive and defensive balance...WipEout should just have futuristic versions of things like the red shell, green shells, banana peels etc...

eLhabib
8th July 2008, 10:38 AM
backward quake while looking forward? cheap
backward missiles? slightly less cheap
there was a disadvantage for the leading player in older games, but the bomb and increased effect of mines made it even imho

KIGO1987
11th July 2008, 05:48 PM
KIGO, you can turn your ship around and fire a quake backwards - it was done a lot on Kai from what i've heard - it is more useful in Pure however, as there is very quick acceleration in Pulse. The time you lose trying to backquake is not worth it.

It's more of a show off thing, really.

Tryed it online tonight, and it worked. But you loose to much time doing that.

No, but rear-locking missiles could come back any time.

Yes yes yes. I agree. This was very useful in Fusion (see Fusion has its qualities after all). Its an effective way to get rid of pests in your slipstream.

swift killer
12th July 2008, 01:58 PM
Technically, AG ships don'thave sliprstreams due to the air being disturbed by the engine propulsion. In theory, there would be a 'vortex' which acts like a slipstream, one either side of the ships caused by the aero dynamic effect of the wings, coming off the tips. This is what usually happens with aircraft, this vortex can also unsettle a craft.

*sorry for boring you guys with the technical stuff, lol*

RJ O'Connell
13th August 2008, 02:13 AM
That would actually be something fun to use so long as you could disable the effect whilst playing online. Wouldn't want people running four-abreast purposefully just to get them to mess up.

and yet it'd still be liked more than barrel rolls and mag-locks.

swift killer
26th August 2008, 09:21 AM
How about the wings and bodywork flexing and rippling like they do on F1 cars? Or like Aeroplane wings do, most of you who fly on aeroplanes must have noticed the wing almost bouncing up and down at time thinking 'OMG! NO! PLEASE DONT BREAK! PLEASE DONT BREAK!:eek'

RJ O'Connell
26th August 2008, 04:15 PM
Sadly, swift, I doubt the structure of the ships will allow for any kind of flex.

Flashback Jack
26th August 2008, 04:55 PM
While the sounds in Wipeout are good in their own regard, nothing in my opinion compares to the sonic assault of Extreme-G 3. I mentioned it before, but I'd like to see each ship with their own sound signatures. The pod racer scene in Star Wars, Episode 1 -- brilliant sound engineering. One could close their eyes and feel that each ship had its own personality, engine sputters and all. All in all, the explosion signifying a boosting ship did wonders for the adrenaline factor in Pulse. More ought to be done I say.

Imagine hearing the guttural sounds of a Goteki's twin engine blowing by you? How about the high-RPM whine of an Ag-sys rocketing off the start/finish line? How about making that Triakis sound like a MIG or F16? The nimble Feisar definitely needs its airbrake sounds enhanced to make it sound like a ship that eats up the corners. The Piranha could use a combination of a deep, jet-like sound combined with a modest sample of gear whine to give it that sonic combination of power and high tech sleekness.

For example.

- F

Extreme G 3 samples for those that have never heard the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsnSUMUuR4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UStcOUhyc1A&feature=related

swift killer
26th August 2008, 09:01 PM
Sadly, swift, I doubt the structure of the ships will allow for any kind of flex.

You'd be suprised, flex in the body work reduces drag at high speed it's done in all motorsport wherever possible and aerosport (stuff like reno air race and redbull air race). It also is what helps certain aircraft generate lift.

Lance
26th August 2008, 09:23 PM
The effect of panel flexure on drag would depend on the shape of the deformation. It could quite readily increase drag rather than decrease it. Flexure resistance to applied pressure by air or by multi-axis accelerations on complex panel shapes would be extremely difficult to calculate and to build compensating/controlling structure for.

swift killer
27th August 2008, 10:04 AM
whoa! Lance you really know your stuff!

Lance
27th August 2008, 03:58 PM
I've had a lot of curiosity and a lot of time to use it.

DawnFireDragoon
27th September 2008, 10:46 PM
After playing HD i believe weapon pads/speed chevrons need to be slightly larger like the older games and solid colours rather than small LED light type things. just for been able to see them and tell them apart. they work in HD but are considerably less noticible and pleasing to the eye than the ye olde ones.

cybrpnk
27th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Could maybe even work on two levels...maybe retain the LED typed things...but have a projection of the LED graphic (much like the ghost projection in time trials and speed laps) that sits about 200mm off the surface???

Increasing the size might detract from the whole precision needed to gain a speed boost or a weapon...but if its visibility you need...then maybe a projection might work...

Just a thought...:)

DawnFireDragoon
28th September 2008, 06:44 PM
i get what your suggesting, but that's kinda the oposite way i want them to go, that sounds more flashy shiny and pulse/hd esque whereas i want them to return to simpler gritty wipeout. cool idea though!!! :)

ZenDJiNN
30th September 2008, 10:54 AM
This has probably been mentioned before, but what about when VR really comes online? I mean the type of thing where you "Jack In" and become a part of the whole game rather than just observing it from the screen that is your eyes? I personally think this is not really that far away, and when it comes it will change so much. I'd love to take a stroll along some of the tracks and actually get the sense of "Being There". :)

mdhay
30th September 2008, 07:51 PM
Have You been playing Coded Arms or just been watching The Matrix?

ZenDJiNN
30th September 2008, 09:28 PM
Definitely the latter. That & some heavy William Gibson sessions! :D

Flashback Jack
30th September 2008, 10:11 PM
You are quite the artiste, Case.

- F

ZenDJiNN
1st October 2008, 08:21 AM
Totally!! Gibson rules! :) Seriously, i do think that (as has already happened with so much Science Fiction of the past) the SF that has been penned by Gibson & others, will, in the not too distant future, become a reality in some shape or form. Science Fiction has a habit of becoming Science Fact. :)

With this in mind, & putting something like Moores Law into the equation, there's a very good chance that "Jacking Into" a Wipeout game at some point in the near future, will be possible. Why make massively expensive "Real World" stuff, when you can make the whole thing in VR?

Lance
1st October 2008, 02:50 PM
"there's a very good chance that "Jacking Into" a Wipeout game at some point in the near future"

It's already being done: WipEout HD, online. :D

ZenDJiNN
1st October 2008, 05:22 PM
It's already being done: WipEout HD, online. :D

True enough Lance.... but take that a few steps further with complete sensory immersion in the VR environment & ..... WOW!!! Incredible! :)

But for now i'll be happy to get a PS3 and HD Online..... Oh Yes!!

Lance
1st October 2008, 08:32 PM
I think your idea is a real possibility, that videogames will be officially organised bigmoney sports with large international audiences in "attendance".

MyManSonny
5th October 2008, 09:57 PM
I was pondering awhile what SL could do for their next game since HD came out. This might be totally wild, but what about 3D glasses. I bet you could get a larger sense of speed with a more 3D experience. I was wondering if there are any games which use this already? I heard of a company called eDimensional which sounds great but is only available for PC.

ERIK

cybrpnk
13th October 2008, 12:50 AM
I think your idea is a real possibility, that videogames will be officially organised bigmoney sports with large international audiences in "attendance".

videogaming as sport is big in places like korea...from a documentary I watched awhile ago...think it was on Discovery...

something about korean starcraft players being treated like celebrity gaming gods...

interesting...

I personally won't mind being in a fully-fledged league racing anti-gravity craft in virtual reality for a living...

PS...Gibson DOES rule...him and Shirow Masamune are to me the ultimate visionaries of all that is cyberpunk...just that one guy does it with words...the other with illustrations...

ZenDJiNN
13th October 2008, 09:09 AM
As soon as some kind of "VR Immersion" becomes commonplace, or the ability to "Jack in" as it were, this kind of thing is going to be MASSIVE! You could race all over the World & never leave your living room. :D There's an excellent series of books called "Otherland" by Tad Williams, that has this theme all the way through it. It's a Trilogy, quite heavy going, but thoroughly worth reading. Another thing that springs to mind of course is the film "Existenz".

Edit: For those that are interested, the Tad Williams Website (http://www.tadwilliams.com/) has just announced the GAME of "Otherland" and there's some really cool pics of in game shots etc. Not ready for quite a while yet it seems, but if it's anything like the books then it'll be pretty good for sure. I'm going to keep an eye on this one. ;)

lovedr
20th October 2008, 06:13 PM
would love to have psp connectivity in a future ps3 wipeout to turn the psp into a rear-view mirror (to sit on top of the tv) to see the incoming quakes and missiles.

Darkdrium777
20th October 2008, 10:05 PM
That, and it would also be able to control the music playlist of the game. Of course, you can't switch music in the middle of the race (Unless you have four arms), but you can make arrangements during the loading screens like which music will play next. :)

jtc42
1st November 2008, 06:54 PM
Okay so as we all know Sony are really pushing for a "one-for-all" system across the whole Playstation brand, and although ideas similar to this have been done really badly in the past, some have been done well, and I believe SSL are more than capable of making something like this work.

So a game is released on both the PSP and PS3 systems, BOTH of which are taking part in the same league (FX500), but possibly different divisions or something similar that just breaks the two games apart slightly (perhaps label platform-seperate sections as being FX500I and FX500II or similar).

The ship designs and stats will be the same across both platforms (obviously more detail on graphics on the PS3 but you get the idea), and each game will feature say 10 tracks that are on both platforms (mapped identically) and 2 on each that are exclusive to that platform (though can possibly be unlocked on the other by connecting the PSP to a PS3?)

High scores and records can be shared across both games online, however I cant see cross-platform online races working for some reason.

Other smaller details that would be nice to see:
Eliminator on both platforms
Sound-reactive Zone tracks on PSP
Same Zone ships cross-platform
Same menu style cross-platform

But basically the idea is the games are as identical as possible over the platforms but with a few platform unique features (some of which can be unlocked on the other by connecting the two) such as tracks or ship skins.

What do you guys think? Any ideas or additions?

Edit: Oops sorry, thanks for the move!

Mad-Ice
7th February 2009, 09:33 AM
I would like to see an option in the menu for online multiplayer to mix races with weapons on and with weapons off in a tournament.

LOUDandPROUD
10th February 2009, 01:06 PM
I like that idea a lot actually!

INFAXSU
11th February 2009, 02:30 AM
How about ships have performance customization... and a Freestyle Mode where barrel roll tricks earn you a score on the leaderboards, Mag-Lock half-pipes lol

Chill
12th February 2009, 05:53 AM
The mix races thing is definately a good idea... as long as it reminds you between races what settings and track are about to come up, like Wipeout Fusion did...

But hey I got an idea!!! you can take a picture if yourself (has to be approved by playstation network of course) from all angles needed, then make it look like you are actually in the cockpit!! LOL and it would look pretty hilarious...

Mad-Ice
18th February 2009, 07:55 AM
I would like to be able to position everyone on the grid. When a host is organising tournaments with the same players (friends) he should be able to point out who is starting where.

The way it is working now is too random and not fair. It is possible for players to be positioned in the back too many times or always in front.

Chill
18th February 2009, 08:02 AM
that's a good idea too, but that may not be fair due to the fact that someone might not like someone, and would always place them in the back... or someone may always place themselves in the front of every race... I think it should be random the first race, then determined on the finishing places for the next race... whoever was last is front, whoever was in first place in the last race is in the back...

And I know this has been mentioned before, but perhaps we could have a zone mode and rather than one track, you would say select 4 tracks... the first lap would be on the first, then after getting through the starting grid to the finish line, the next lap starts right off with the second track... and it would go up to the fourth then to the first and over and over again... but I'm not sure this would work for actual races, because of different scenery and effects... as well as simply throwing players off when the leader already knows what's about to happen... not too fair...

Mad-Ice
18th February 2009, 08:31 AM
That is why I said: option for friends. I think we are having a great community here. Where we are organising a lot of tournaments. I just think it will work. Take a look at Avalon and Kanar as a host. Everyone is respecting that. So if we are going to organise the World Wipeout Tournament we have to have this option of being able to grid positioning.

eLhabib
18th February 2009, 10:54 AM
That, and LAN play. Make it happen SL, before May! :D

Avenger2197
23rd February 2009, 03:30 AM
I was thinking about TT and SL, and how those could be improved. What if for every perfect lap one achieves in TT or SL, your speed increases ever so slightly. More PL's, more speed. Of course the there would have to be a speed cap on it, like say, Venom becomes Flash speed, Flash becomes Rapier, etc. etc.

The catch, of course, would be to try and control the ship while it's shaking all over the place. Pitch could also be put into effect to lessen the ship going out of control. I don't know if something like this has ever been thought of, and maybe it's a crackpot idea, but I'd like to hear what others think of such a system.

I also realize that in order for this to work, some of the physics engine would have to return back to the inertia based physics of the old games in the series. But, one can dream I suppose. :)

kanar
31st March 2009, 09:12 AM
here's one of my wipeout dreams (remember afterburner). Someone here has probably posted that before. It would be awesome. I'm dreamin' about a wipeout center (the magec academy? lol) too, with tons of these arcade stuffs. Don't be scared, do a -360°/cockpit view- barrel roll!

Lion
31st March 2009, 08:57 PM
I'd love to play wipeoutHD in one of these (http://kotaku.com/5191438/footage-of-segas-opulent-new-arcade-unit) :)

kanar
31st March 2009, 09:45 PM
oh yeah! exactly Lion, that's why I'm talking about! We should already buy lottery tickets lol. I have a dream...

RJ O'Connell
31st March 2009, 11:17 PM
Regenerating a small amount of shield energy after every lap in a no weapons race, at least online.

JaceMc
26th April 2009, 11:44 AM
More fiction. Things like...

Team Profiles: When you go to select a ship, display a description of the team, what they've been up to since the latest game, origins, maybe founders and pilots. Pure had this, e.g., for Harimau it said, "The Harimau is turning heads on its maiden voyage. This southpaw rookie is making some dangerous waves for the orthodox veterans."

Pilots: They don't necessarily have to have an effect on the statistics of the ship, it would just be cool to have a bit of background. Just have one designated pilot per team so that there's no added complexity through choosing a pilot. Have info like championships won, age, nationality.

Track Descriptions: Lengths, location, highlights of the track.

Names for the Campaign Tournaments: "2250 Australasian FX900 AG Series"

Bigger Crowds: I think we can all agree that a sport like AG racing with explosions, ships racing at 900mp/h smashing for position with a high risk of injury involved would attract hundreds of thousands of people to watch. When I go past the finish line I want to hear a ROAR erupt from the packed stands. I want there to be screens around the track showing Triakis and Piranha behind me fighting for 2nd.
----

This is all pretty unnecessary stuff, but I'm the kind of player that loves getting wrapped up in the atmosphere of these kinds of games.

mdhay
26th April 2009, 02:06 PM
Pulse has Biographies too, you know.

JaceMc
27th April 2009, 07:27 AM
I never played Pulse.

Mad-Ice
27th April 2009, 04:56 PM
It has probably been said before and it has to be said again: "The tracks should be longer like Fusion." So it must have been Sausehuhn that said it. But I want them even longer and in addition to that; I would like to have 16 ships on the track online.

rdmx
28th April 2009, 12:44 PM
If you thought the mines and bombs were bad as it is, imagine it with 16 people! :blarg

Mad-Ice
28th April 2009, 01:26 PM
With longer and maybe wider tracks you are able to adjust your racingline more easily. SL has to test all the possible pick-ups. Maybe even less weaponpads to pick items up. Of course, this has to be balanced in a good way.

djKyoto
28th April 2009, 01:36 PM
It has probably been said before and it has to be said again: "The tracks should be longer like Fusion." So it must have been Sausehuhn that said it. But I want them even longer and in addition to that; I would like to have 16 ships on the track online.

This and this. Longer tracks would be nice.

Also harder ones. I remember the old PS1 games where way harder. And had bigger huge ass jumps. :D

rdmx
28th April 2009, 02:03 PM
Ahhh Florion Height 3... If they are going to make a big jump, at least make it next time you don't randomly fall through the floor D:

KIGO1987
28th April 2009, 02:55 PM
**** i remember that, how many ****ing times those lead base fusion ships went straight through the ground after that massive jump on Florion Height Part 3. Great track though:) That in HD would really test your skills, pulling a BR after that jump in Cambodia mode. BOOM!:)

eLhabib
28th April 2009, 06:27 PM
With longer and maybe wider tracks you are able to adjust your racingline more easily...

Longer, yes, but WIDER?! No way! As narrow as possible for me please!

Also, I don't really like the idea of 16 players in one race. Too hectic for my tastes with 8 already. I prefer 4-6...

Amorbis
28th April 2009, 11:11 PM
The length of the PSP tracks were great for a hand held system, they were short and good for a quick play. I too would like to see longer tracks with some tracks being able to be four, maybe even five minutes long on average. It would certainly make for some interesting no weapons racing.

As for wideness, I think Wip3out was the best for me. Not too thin, enough room for 3 ships plus more sometimes. A very thin track would be harder to navigate and put a lot of emphasis on the turns, putting a foot wrong on a track like Chenghou Project would be even worse. Big jumps are welcome, though. Thrusting off P-Mar Project is fun ;).

8 online players is the magic number. It allows for big, chaotic races that can still be fun. Any more than would just be crazy and frustrating. If you had that with thinner tracks it would be gnarly, in a bad way.

mdhay
29th April 2009, 07:01 PM
I too would like to see longer tracks with some tracks being able to be four, maybe even five minutes long on average.

Unfortunately, this is, in this day and age, against the imaginary law of 'casual gaming', which seems to dictate how most games are done.

Shame, though. I'd love to see it too.:D

JaceMc
30th April 2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know if I'd be able to handle being at 100% brain capacity for 5 whole minutes, I think I'd start levitating random things around the house.

rivvit
10th May 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know if I'd be able to handle being at 100% brain capacity for 5 whole minutes, I think I'd start levitating random things around the house.

evil gravity:evil:evil

mdhay
12th May 2009, 07:15 PM
Yep, it sucks.;)

caller77
15th May 2009, 07:33 AM
Wait 'till you start getting older ... Then it really sucks ! In fact, if I pull my trousers right up I'll soon be able to tuck in my manboobs ! hahahaha

Darkdrium777
16th May 2009, 11:10 PM
What has been read cannot be unread. :blarg

mdhay
16th May 2009, 11:17 PM
I ain't saying it, so I'll have a stickman do it:.

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 06:18 AM
Back on-topic, could the combined resources of SL and Evo lead to a situation where we have the next Wipeout game on both PS3 and PSP (or PSP Go! if that's where we are by then) at once, and if so, what would you think?

Also, it would be cool to see an "HD Remix" of the earlier-generation Wipeout games, with extra stuff and small changes to make the game feel new, I liked how in Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix that they changed some things and balanced it out.

mdhay
17th May 2009, 07:59 AM
Also, it would be cool to see an "HD Remix" of the earlier-generation Wipeout games, with extra stuff and small changes to make the game feel new

Something tells me that the track - following camera would disappear.:(

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 08:11 AM
I meant like re-balancing the ships somewhat (give Piranha in 2097 like, one really bad statistic), analog control, online play, *cough*adding in pilot profiles where applicable*cough*, fixing the wall collision physics, and having other general bug fixes. Not ridiculous stuff like changing the handling totally, or throwing in BRs.

mdhay
17th May 2009, 08:52 AM
Ah, I see your point now, Talon's Reach doesn't have shields available, does it?

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 09:58 PM
It most certainly doesn't.

Then again the increasing setiment around here is that the current staff at Studio Liverpool are even less qualified to program a game than the people that made Superman 64, so I think it'd be wise not to talk up a remake of XL yet.

mdhay
18th May 2009, 05:19 PM
This isn't directed at you, but that just isn't fair - saying that Sl aren't good at their jobs is like the animals having their own olympics. I mean, has anyone seen wipEout HD recently?:lol

cybrpnk
20th May 2009, 09:27 AM
One of the things I'd love to see that would spice up WipEout for me would be filters and new alternative skins...like the ones in RE5 and maybe the new Katamari coming out for the PS3...

maybe a:
+ cel-shade filter,
+ steampunk filter/skin (imagine what a steampunk AG-5Y5 would look like???)
+ origami folded paper filter/skin
+ hyper neon filter (play normal races and tournaments in zone mode graphics permanently on)
+ h.r. geiger filter/skin (what if geiger were to design WipEout)

just to name a few...

stinkleroy
21st May 2009, 11:33 AM
A Geiger influenced Wipeout, now that would be interesting...:!

Lion
21st May 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to imagine it, but am failing.
I can't meld the organic designs of geiger with the angular forms I so associate with wipeout

stinkleroy
21st May 2009, 12:00 PM
I dunno, I think his designs are also very industrial...I agree that in HD they just wouldn't be right but would fit some of the earlier Wipeout games...the dark ages :lol

jan709
23rd May 2009, 11:52 AM
i dont know if this has been said but what i really want to see in the next wipeout (or in an wipeout hd update) is a real cockpit view. Not like the one just in front of the ship but a view where you actually look through the glass and it is like you sit behind the dashboard. That would be awesome!

andy
23rd May 2009, 09:26 PM
they have that in wip3out and wip3out SE, I'd love to see this return :D cockpit is my favourite camera view, they should definitely bring it back.

mdhay
23rd May 2009, 10:05 PM
SL should make the music track play before the race starts. In the words of GLaDOS:

"....That was great...."

andy
23rd May 2009, 11:10 PM
...and keep music playing during pauses

Lion
24th May 2009, 12:30 AM
I like that the view in HD is not from the nose of the ship, but from the front of the cockpit area.
If you cross the finish line with the shield up you can see the shape of the hull of your ship from your POV (particularly cool with mirage)

FutureKubik
29th May 2009, 11:20 AM
One of the things I'd love to see that would spice up WipEout for me would be filters and new alternative skins...like the ones in RE5 and maybe the new Katamari coming out for the PS3...

maybe a:
+ cel-shade filter,
+ steampunk filter/skin (imagine what a steampunk AG-5Y5 would look like???)
+ origami folded paper filter/skin
+ hyper neon filter (play normal races and tournaments in zone mode graphics permanently on)

I like the general idea of being able to unlock and then use graphical 'skin' overlays like cell-shading and hyper-neon in the main game modes, but I'd imagine a steam punk one or a origami folded paper one would require a whole new set of polygonal models, surely?

I mean I love both those ideas (especially the origami one, it would look amazing and very 'Little Big Planet' in next gen PS3 graphics) but sadly it would just take up too much extra development time. Also, a Giger one would be too dark and shadowy and without colour? Stylistically it sounds interesting but I can imagine playing the game in monochrome would be confusing and frustrating at speed. Maybe if they took a more 'MadWorld' approach, making it black and white cell-shaded but with occasional burst of bright fluorescent colour for things like boost pads/weapon pads, explosions, the HUD and the other ships?

The main thing I'd like to see brought back is un-lockable concept and development art after you've achieved golds or won tournaments, there wasn't any in Pulse so there must be a ton of high-standard work for both that game, HD and the upcoming new PS3 game just itching to be included in a Wipeout HD downloadable content update or the next full game.

LOUDandPROUD
29th May 2009, 05:07 PM

OMG, I would absolutely love a dark, industrial, Geiger-esque edition of WipEout! :rock

jan709
30th May 2009, 03:07 PM
they have that in wip3out and wip3out SE, I'd love to see this return :D cockpit is my favourite camera view, they should definitely bring it back.

i didn't know, why would anyone ever consider taking that out? thats just stupid!

RJ O'Connell
30th May 2009, 11:01 PM
W3's cockpit mode was really the nose cam with an overlay that removed about 40% visibility, it sounded good but really wasn't practical for high-level play. Maybe it can be done again, technology's come a long way in 10 years.

andy
31st May 2009, 07:28 PM
I love the cockpit mode xD can't stand normal nose camera without any of your craft visible, and the behind the ship camera is nice but not as easy to be precise with. I hope they bring cockpit cam back.

@ futurekubic - I'd love the unlockable concept art to come back too, I really liked that in pure =)

Xavier
5th June 2009, 02:18 PM
I mentioned it briefly in the thread about Fury, but I'd really like to see a limited form of ship customization, particularly in online mode. Even if the ships are too detailed for user-made skins, it would still be great just to use the standard Wipeout fonts to put numbers or our names on our ships. It would help us remember our opponents, and would look great in photo mode.

Another thing I want to see is customized billboards for online tournaments. Today we've got billboard after billboard of racing teams. I'm very happy to see Wipeout drop the annoying Kappa and Red Bull advertisements and stick with "in-universe" stuff, but -- particularly given that these billboards are animated -- so much more could be done with them! How about putting the name of the tournament you're in on some of them? "Avalon 2009", "September WipeoutZone Gathering", etc., etc. -- how much more fun would it be to take race photos with that stuff in the background? You'd really feel like you were in the race.

DividedXZero
5th June 2009, 08:43 PM
That sounds awesome, but who would make those changes?
the person hosting the room?

-Other games do have tourneys, what if Sony or SL hosted a large scale WO tourney? That would be awesome IMO, but extremely fierce competition too! (i wonder if Zico would show..)

Xavier
8th June 2009, 06:05 PM
I figured that the person hosting the tournament could enter a name for it, and it could be displayed on the billboard or somewhere else on the track, in one of the classic Wipeout fonts (which the developers use all the time) very easily. Would it be hard to do, programming-wise? If you can display arbitrary ship-skin art, it should be easy enough to have that kind of thing on the track walls or billboards too, right?

cybrpnk
15th June 2009, 09:42 PM
pardon me if this has already been posted...but check this out...

absolutely wicked stuff...

http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/06/08/magnificent-men-and-their-flying-ferrari/

andy
16th June 2009, 02:26 PM
woah, that's excellent. not seen that before, nice find cybrpnk :)

NightArh
17th June 2009, 07:57 AM
I hope SL will go with the times and I will see new Wipeout in 3D with new types of wireless controllers that will improve gaming expirience to true antigravitation ship simulation :+

RJ O'Connell
22nd June 2009, 07:19 PM
Sixaxis hasn't caught on with Wipeout players like the NeGcon has. I doubt the PlayStation Wiimote will change the general community's feelings on playing Wipeout with anything but a NeGcon or DualShock 3.

They could always tweak the controls to make it easier to handle with the motion controls, but Fusion bombed because it felt like playing F-Zero X with missiles, and even still it's not as precise as using buttons and a control stick/D-pad.

mdhay
22nd June 2009, 07:45 PM
woah, that's excellent. not seen that before, nice find cybrpnk :)

So, you making that on SketchUp, or shall I?;)

cybrpnk
23rd June 2009, 08:14 AM
you shall...:)

not done much with Sketchup at all

I've started something on Rhinoceros v4 but I want to remodel it in Solidworks and render in Bunkspeed Hypershot...that renderer blows my mind away...used it for my final year and it delivered some pretty slick results...

Lance
23rd June 2009, 05:15 PM
hmmm.. wireless neGGie... yeeeeeeeeeees. 'Scuse me, I'm off to write to NAMCO.

TheFrostE
24th June 2009, 11:19 PM
...any sort of new rendition of the classic would be welcome for WipEout on ps3 as well as any other cool racing games.

XpanDrome2097
9th July 2009, 10:15 PM
Sometimes am thinking about a track editor :paperbag....but it is very unrealistic :! !

Mu5
11th July 2009, 08:05 AM
you shall...:)
render in Bunkspeed Hypershot...that renderer blows my mind away...used it for my final year and it delivered some pretty slick results...

I would love to see what you produced :)

@Venom : Yeah mate Ive often thought about a track editor. It would rock :)

Im building a track at the moment - codename is 'Feisar Test Facility' :) Ive just started playing with building track segments - results can be see here (http://ringospoon.deviantart.com/art/Feisar-Test-Facility-009a-129023955) :D

Aeroracer
12th July 2009, 02:53 PM
Future for wipeout...

Every ship every track every song put it all together and release it on all systems.Xbox as well

Custom tracks
Custom ships
Buy parts and upgrades for the ship

Release tracks and ship every two months to keep it alive.

Call the game wipeout money spinner. It will make more money than all the other wipeout put together i think.

It will keep many fans happy

ACE-FLO
12th July 2009, 04:38 PM
Interesting track design by Mu5... It's not finished?

Mu5
12th July 2009, 07:50 PM
No mate - that was just a test render to see what the track looked like :)

I started building a small track today - my compy started to struggle a bit as there was a few too many polygons :D