PDA

View Full Version : Oh, and another disappointment wth the screensavers...

Vasudeva
10th June 2002, 06:04 PM
I just installed the Xios screensaver. Very nice, until I saw the map...

Finland conquering Norway, Sweden and Karelia? New to me... Those designers need to some help in the cartography department, methinks.

Peace,
V.

lunar
10th June 2002, 06:40 PM
Don`t forget, this game is set in the future, who knows what the Finnish empire might achieve? Brainwashing the world with Nokia phones, leaving their Scandiwegian neighbours powerless to resist invasion. Nokia....Xios....."We think, so you don`t have to..."

Spaceboy Gajo
10th June 2002, 06:45 PM
Impossible lunar.

Is that what Finland has going for them?

Sweden's got IKEA, SAAB and VOLVO.

IKEA's already conquered the North American market and that's brainwashing if you ask me.

lunar
10th June 2002, 07:06 PM
Talking of Swedenisation, you forgot Sven Goran Erikson, soon to conquer not only North America but the entire world........ sorry lost my grip on reality there. :-? going for a sauna.

Spaceboy Gajo
10th June 2002, 07:09 PM
Finally a soccer comment.

I was thinking this group was boycotting the World Cup. I know it's been said in the Wipeout manual that AG Racing is bigger than the World Cup, but come on now, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of footballers in this forum!

infoxicated
10th June 2002, 07:10 PM
Hmmm - there might be something in that whole Nokia theory.

I mean, if you were planning to take over the world and wanted to brain wash everybody, it's a pretty good start to have 70% of folk over 12 years old carrying one of your products with them at all times. Some nice brain wave generation patterns, a fat guy and a tree and you've got global domination and christmas!

Having said that, durex could have taken over the world many moons ago... 'cos, you know, most women say that men are led by their...

*ahem*

... never mind.

lunar
10th June 2002, 07:29 PM
fat guy and a tree? sorry, infoxicated, that reference is too surreal/clever for me! :oops:

as for footy, it seems Rivaldo (and several other fancy forwards for that matter) could do with some extra AG assistance, gravity seems to have an unusual hold on them sometimes :roll: .

If England, and Italy (on whom I`ve bet a vulnerable tenner) get knocked out, I`d like to see a Japan v USA final. A very long longshot I know, but it would be be a great game.

Spaceboy Gajo
11th June 2002, 05:21 AM
Now that would be a great World Cup final as unlikely as that would be.

This World Cup has been one of the strangest I've ever watched. Most of the favourites are not playing to expectation. It's like they are believing their own hype.

I'm rooting for England and Croatia (where my parents are from).

To try and get this topic somewhat on track, did any one play the old Commodore 64 or the newer Playstation game Ballblazer? It was like AG soccer.

Task
11th June 2002, 05:28 AM
Ballblazer? That was a great game. I played that on my Atari for endless hours.
I liked how you were slower while carrying the ball, and how the goalposts moved around and got narrower as the difficulty increased. Good game.

Lance
11th June 2002, 06:00 AM
i'm becoming a football fan. god save me, but i am beginning to like david beckham for something other than sexual reasons :D

zaarock
11th June 2002, 06:15 AM
finland conquering other countries funny (well im from finland) xios rules!

infoxicated
11th June 2002, 09:21 AM
Lance - if my boat floated that way then I think he's the kind of guy I'd go for... *ahem*

Lance
11th June 2002, 12:46 PM
lots of guys do go for that sort. and i wonder if he floats a bit that way, i mean, the sarong, the nail varnish, being married to Posh, who may be a bit of a pants wearer. ya never know. well, okay, sometimes you do...

Vasudeva
11th June 2002, 02:12 PM
Oh, the brainwash scenario about Xios and Finland might be a possibility, but then appearently Brazil also swallowed all of South America and Germany did the same with Italy, ex-Yugoslavia, Austria, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Belgium.

About the World Cup... It's definitely an exciting one, that's for sure. My prediction was an Argentina vs Italy final, but I'm not so sure anymore. Germany perhaps? Or Spain? Or Brazil (again, yawn)? Who knows. At any rate, I'm vastly disappointed with how the Belgian team has been clumsy again, as usual. Well, at least the Dutch didn't make it :P (j/k guys).

Peace,
V.

Wamdue
12th June 2002, 10:39 AM
finns conquering sweden eh? pff.. cĀ“mon.. eeeeeverybody knows swedens ahead of the game. both in soccer and brainwashing technology.

Vasudeva
12th June 2002, 11:15 AM
About Ballblazer...

Am I correct that it's a game with a bouncing ball on gravitaional squares, some of them sticky, others turbo, etc etc... ? Or am I talking about a different game for the C64. I have one, but sadly enough the disk drive doesn't work anymore and most of the diskettes are corrupted.

Too bad.

Peace,
V.

Task
13th June 2002, 06:43 AM
It was a one-on-one soccer-type game. You drove this little car around on the grid/field and your button "kicked", which would either fire the ball forwards or attempt to kick it out of your opponents control. The goalposts got closer together as difficulty increased, then started sliding back and forth across the whole endzone. A goal from the halfline or farther was 3 points, there to the quarter line was 2, closer was 1. First person to... 10? Was the winner.
Gawd, I haven't played that game in 10 years, why is still so clear to me?

Spaceboy Gajo
13th June 2002, 05:31 PM
It's all nostalgia Task!

:cry: